Awakening.

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
'A picture of how you would look as a human, that picture of me, or just a picture of yourself?' Amelia asked, not sure what she meant. When Acha smiled, Amelia felt her face spread into a smile. When Acha blushed, Amy chuckled. 'Well, they are pretty kids. The odd thing is that the system identifies you as female, as it does me. When that happens and I bring up the kids, it should give me a bypass telling me both of us are girls so this couldn't happen. It didn't this time.' Amy said. She stared at the children photos and printed them. 'We would have some pretty kids.' She said jokingly.

A picture of you like the one you printed. But not necessarily that one, in case you want to keep it. For... scientific purposes, or I don't know. But I don't mind if you want to make a picture of what I would look like as a human. Not that I think you should, I just don't mind if you do. Acha talked herself further and further into her embarrassment, it seemed. She finally gave up and changed the topic a little bit.
Maybe the system realizes we are of different species anyway and assumes you know it couldn't happen? Or, well, at least I don't think it could. I don't know how humans work yet. Do humans have so slight differences between males and females that one needs to be warned about that? She picked up the pictures of the child. Well, the machine thinks we would have a daughter, that much makes sense at least.

Amelia chuckled and printed another picture of her as one of Acha's people. 'You can have one. Its no biggie.' Amy looked at the picture of the children on the screen. 'No, there is a big difference between male and female, though sometimes you can only tell by the reproductive organs. Some guys look really feminine. But this machine has been programed so as not to give false hope. I think it sees that you're a completely different species, and it doesn't know what to say.' Amy said. She printed another copy of the children picture. 'Here, you can have the picture you're holding and this one.' Amy handed her the picture Acha had asked for. 'I have a copy of each as well. I want to see what you would look like as a human.' Amy said, messing with the machine. The image that popped up now was of Acha as a human. It was not exactly what Amy expected. 'Woah.' She said

Acha peered at the picture of her as a human. It looked unexpectedly... well, diferent. Her face wasn't as narrow, and with wider cheekbones, her nose longer, her chin and jaw more powerful than in reality, and this time her eyes had circles too; light blue circles, as Amy had predicted. Her mouth was somewhat bigger, and with pink lips. Her skin was a little lighter and pinker than Amy's, and her hair, also true to what Amy had said, a pale shade of blonde, and wavy. She too had shell-shaped ears. It was very interesting, but also very foreign to see herself - or at least a version of herself - look like that. Suddenly she had a theory.
Humans eat meat too, don't they? Would that be why I would need stronger bones in my face and a bigger mouth if I was human? I have seen you eat fruit though; do you eat both?

Amy nodded. 'I noticed that as well. Yes, humans eat meat and plants. My teeth are flat in the back, like a herbivore, but sharper in the front to tear, bite, ect. Like a carnivore.' Amy said, printing out two copies of the picture on the screen. She handed one to Acha. 'As a human, you would be very desirable. You are very pretty as you are, but as a human, many would adore you just for your physical features.' Amy said. 'You're probably the reason why our kids would be beautiful.' Amy said, only half teasing. 'Since your kind only eats plants, you don't need an offensive ability. You only need a defensive one. I think the vibrations, telepathy, and intelligence are your kind's defensive techniques. Its pretty neat.'

Acha felt overwhelmed by this sort of praise. She was unused to it; at home they just knew what each of them looked like and didn't often make comments on it. But she also had mixed feelings about it; Amy said she looked - or would look - pleasing, and that must be a good thing, but was it right that humans should love someone just because of how she looks? That worked quite in the opposite direction for her.
I don't know what humans find beautiful in a person, but I think you are very lovely. But maybe I think that because I like you. I always like seeing those who are important to me, because those features signify a soul I like. So I don't think I can really tell. But if that matters to you, then I'm glad that you like how I would look.

Amy smiled. It meant a lot to her that Acha genuinely liked her. Most people that 'liked' her usually just wanted her research. 'I think the same towards you. You are physically attractive, but your soul outshines all of it.' Amelia said. Amy stood and stretched. 'Now, I am still in my pajamas. I am going to go and get you that silk dress, and get myself into some proper clothes.' Amy said. 'I'll be right back. Oh, and you are free to go anywhere in the house.' Amy said, walking out the room.

Thank you.
Acha meant that both to the compliment and the dress. But it reminded her that she hadn't finished washing her own dress after all. She picked up her pictures, took them in her room (by now she remembered where it was) and put them on her bedside table. They might cheer her up if she feels so sad again. She might sleep better that way.
Then she went directly to the bathroom (remembering to leave the door open so she would know which door to go back through, in case she should forget). As she had expected, her dress was much easier to wash now. The soil here liked to cling, but all in all it was still just soil and it came out in the end. She wanted to take it out to dry at first, but then remembered that humans might come, so she contented herself with putting it on the edge of the tub. And she went to look for Amy.

Amy was in her room, just having finished dressing and starting to look for the silk dress. She was in her closet, murmuring to herself. "Now where did that go? Umm, ah! Here it is." Amy said to herself, leaving the closet. In her hands she held a blue silk dress. Amy placed the dress on the bed, smiling. Amy was remembering when she wore this dress. It was a few years back when she had won her first ever scientific award, and she had to dress up for the awards ceremony. It was one of the best nights of her life.

Acha felt Amy's presence in her own room; taking heart to Amy's words that she was allowed to go anywhere, she entered to find her companion in cheerful musing. She stepped beside her and looked at the dress on the bed, a little intimidated.
This is really beautiful, but so different from what I have seen of the rest of your clothes. And from mine, we all always dressed very simply, I have never worn anything like that. It must be special in some way. Are you sure that it's all right for me to wear it? I'll be very careful with it, I promise.

Amelia looked at Acha and smiled. 'Its fine. Ive had my memories with it, and now its your turn.' Amelia said, handing the dress to Acha. 'My ribcage is too big for it now, but you're a smidgen smaller than me so it should fit.' Amelia closed her closet door and turned off the closet light. 'Its all yours. Yours to keep.' Amelia said. She sat on her bed and slipped off the shoes she had put on.

I'm honoured. Thank you so much. I really wish I was more useful, I promise I'll try, just tell me what I can contribute to our life... Acha stopped here for a moment to think. What can she do? At home, she used to work with the ground veins, but nothing uses those here. She sometimes went to gather food, just like everyone else, but she can't do that, lest she meet humans. She also played music, though more for recreation than to please others, but she can't even do that because she doesn't have her instrument. I really don't know if I'm of any use at all anymore. But I'll tell you everything I know. And... just tell me whenever I can help with anything.
As she spoke, she took off the chlothes she had been wearing since evening and changed into the dress. It felt much better: lighter, freer and softer, and similar to her own. It was so beautiful she hardly dared to move in it, but so comfortable that she was tempted to dance just because she could now. And she did, in the way she sometimes used to at home: hardly ever lifting her feet, only bending and swaying in a soft motion. It wasn't precisely a happy dance, but it was peaceful and expressive, much like the music she played had been.

Amelia smiled. Acha touched her heart. As Amy looked over at Acha, she was in awe of the dancing. Amy's eyes widened and her jaw hung slightly slack. It was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. Amy had always loved to watch dancers, and even though Acha didn't move much, there was so much emotion in the dance that Amy was transfixed.

As a tree when the wind dies down, Acha gradually stopped her dance and sat down on the edge of the bed, more tired emotionally than physically. Dancing was almost like crying, a sort of expression and release that in itself made her feel better sometimes.
I think I will be well for now. I know life is different now and there are other tasks to do in day-to-day life than there were among my people, and none of my skills are very useful here, but I can learn new ones if you teach me. So could you show me what sort of work there is to do nowadays? I have been idle long enough. Every member of a town should do what she can.

Amy looked at Acha in awe. Amelia nodded. 'Sure. Well, I'm not quite sure what to start with.' Amy said, musing. 'I could show you how to do the dishes. With the dishwasher, its just loading and unloading, really. I could teach you how to cook. Or I could show you how to do the laundry.' Amy was stuck. She didn't know what Acha was capable of, so she didn't know what to teach her. 'Oh! I'll show you how I roast vegetables. Its easy, quick, and you'll learn a bit about the stove.' Amelia said, smiling at Acha. 'Im going to teach you all kinds of stuff while we're here. Its going to be fun, I just know it."

Acha spent the day learning about household tasks. Using electricity proved much less dangerous than she had feared; the power of lightning may have coursed through the machines, but it did so quietly, unobtrusively and in an orderly fashion.
The concept of cooking was new to her, she didn't think it would be necessary or - indeed - of much use to heat the plants before eating them, but she wanted to learn as much as she could, so she tried. She even tasted a little bit of it, and it didn't taste bad - it was different, but good, and though she decided that the lighter taste of raw plants was more suitable for her, it would be no trouble at all to do this for Amy.
She went to bed early, remembering to take off the blue dress first, so as not to crumple it by lying down in it; she didn't usually do that with her own, but she was very careful of this one. She felt better than the day before, for having been useful, and though the sadness came back with full force as soon as she was alone again, she hoped that eventually she would - if not forget about the pain - at least get used to the loss and make peace with it.

Amelia enjoyed teaching Acha all these things. Following Acha's lead, Amelia decided that it was bedtime for herself as well. As Amy slipped into bed, her cellphone began to ring. "This is Amy." She said. It was weird to be talking out loud again. It felt too loud and obtrusive. "Amelia, we need you down at the dig site tomorrow." A man said. "Alright. Why?" Amelia asked. "We want you to look at some new items we found." Amy rolled her eyes. Of course. "Sure. I'll come in around seven." Amy said and hung up. She fell back on her pillows, and quickly fell into sleep. The next morning, Amelia got up and around early. She was debating on wether or not to wake Acha to tell her. Amy walked into Acha's room, knocking on the doorframe. 'Acha, are you awake?' Amy asked mentally. She wanted to tell Acha that she had to leave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Acha woke up fast, not to the knock but to Amy talking to her; perhaps nothing calls one's mind back to the world faster and with more clarity than being directly addressed mentally. She turned onto her back to look towards the door and Amy.
I am. Good morning. Is everything all right?

Amy nodded. 'Yes, Ive just been called into the digsite for a few hours.' Amy said. 'I just wanted to let you know before I left. Im going to leave the door unlocked so you can go out side if you wish. It should be safe, since most should be at the dig site. Just be careful, ok?' Amelia said, leaning against the doorframe. 'This house is yours as much as it is mine, so you have free reign within it. If anyone knocks on the door or rings the doorbell, just ignore them.'

All right, I will.
Acha was of course slightly nervous at being alone, and for a moment considered asking Acha to take her along. But the thought of going near so many humans at once deterred her. If Amy thought she would be safe here, then she would indeed be safe. And she could even safely go outside; she was glad of that, she missed the open sky and was already looking forward to it. Well, she wouldn't venture far, of course. Just to feel the warmth of the sunshine. She imagined she would also feel more at home outside, and she could reminisce a little; even if the plants are also different, that difference wasn't as jarring as being inside a human house.
But you be careful too, while you are away. I know you are human and you know them, but humour me and promise to be careful, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.