Awakening.

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
'I promise to be careful.' Amy said. 'You have full reign to yell at me if I come back hurt.' Amelia smiled. 'Im going to leave now. You're going to be ok? Or do you need anything first?' Amelia asked. Amy hated that she had to leave, but she did have a job to do. She was, however, excited to see the new artifacts they uncovered.

I think I have everyting I need. Goodbye, and good luck.
Acha found she was anxious to have Amy gone already: the sooner she leaves the sooner she will finish and come back, and then she can be relieved that neither of them got hurt. At home it was unusual to leave the town alone, and here she felt the house was their town. From as little as she had seen so far, it was like that in every way; it had everything necessary for life in it, and didn't have to share with others. Of course in a town as small as this everyone would have to do a little bit of everything. She decided she would do everything she had learnt the day before by the time Amy comes home.

Amelia nodded. 'Alright. Ill be back in a few hours.' Amy said and left. She decided to walk to the site, feeling as if she needed to get some exercise. The walk was peaceful, and she watched the plants. She felt a bit more in tune with everything. Amelia attributed it to Acha's influence. And amy enjoyed it. She just hoped no one would come by the house while she was gone.

By the time Acha finished her breakfast (consisting of three tomatoes and an apple - she decided she especially liked tomatoes), she felt a little more at ease. Nothing bad had happened so far, and there was no reason anything bad should happen. She found own her dress was already dry, and put that on; she was still afraid that some of the decorations on the blue dress would get snagged on something. Then she loaded and started the dishwasher and went off to do a little bit of cleaning. Cooking would have to be the last, so when Amy gets home the food will be still warm.
Everything was so peaceful that she almost forgot about her earlier worries by the time the doorbell rang.

Stanford Albee was a scientist that was new to the digsite. He had taken a liking to Amy, and admired her work. Stanford was in charge of all DNA research, and though the data wasn't due for another week, Stanford wanted to see Amy's progress. Really, it was just a lie to cover up the fact that he wanted to spend time with her. He trekked the short distance from his home to Amelia's, and rang the doorbell.

It would have been hard to deny that Acha was frightened. She recalled that Amy had said to simply not open the door; and though she had to trust Amy's judgment, it was still hard to not think of the fact that someone was at the door and wanting to come in. She froze so as to make no noise at all, and very slowly, very carefully reached out with her mind to look. She had only seen two humans before, Any and the man who had brought the samples; this person was neither, but there was some similarity and she assumed it was a human. But she didn't dare look too closely. What if the visitor notices she is looking? Her people could, of course, but then their mind was equipped for that, and, as far as she knew, humans weren't usually telepathic. Still, she only stole a glance and withdrew. The person didn't seem hostile. That made her relax some. If nobody opens the door, the visitor will surely leave soon. Nonetheless, she looked around for a hiding place, just to feel safer. Under the table? No, he will immediately see her. Maybe inside the wardrobe? That's it. Now only to get there as quietly as she can... She wished Amy was home already.

Stanford frowned. Was she not home? He reckoned that she probably was, but just ignoring him. Stanford rang the doorbell impatiently. After a few more minutes of no response, Stanford tried the door. It was unlocked. He was now convinced that she was home, and blowing him off. That made him angry. "Amelia!" Stanford called out, opening the door and stepping into the house.

If Acha had been frightened earlier, now she was terrified. She kept on sneaking, though she could feel her entire body shaking; if she could only reach Amy's room she would be out of sight and she would be able to climb inside the wardrobe. But she had to be even quieter now that he was inside, and sneaking quietly on shaky legs wasn't as easy as she had hoped.
Part of her knew she stood no chance. Her mind was frantically searching around for Amy's, as far away as she could feel, which still wasn't very far. Was she at least on her way home? She didn't know.
Death at the intruder's hand wasn't what she was so afraid of... at least once she dies it's over. But what if the humans capture her and take her away to experiment on her? How long would she have to be in captivity then? And what would Amy think - that she'd just left without a word? She would be so disappointed.

Stanford stood in the doorway for a moment. "Amelia! I want to see your DNA data! Are you home?" Stanford called out. He was smart, but particularly unobservant, so he didn't notice Acha creeping along. Stanford walked into the room that doubled as Amy's lab. Luckily, Amy had been thoughtful enough to clear all the pictures out of the room, moving them to her room, and turning off and covering the image machine. All that was out was Amelia's findings on the samples from the dig site. Stanford looked at the findings, a little bummed that he hadn't seen Amy yet.

Acha finally arrived to Amy's room and ducked inside, relieved. Now she is out of sight, and she only has to get inside the wardrobe. She could move a little faster now. She crept along the bed, still carefully, but with her sight on the goal now.
Her relief was premature. As she reached out for the door of the wardrobe - too early -, she lost her balance, caught the handle of the door and fell against it with a very audible thud. She collected herself immediately, knowing she had to hide right now, before the human comes looking for her; she couldn't afford to make any more noise, so climbing inside would be out of the question. She sank to the floor and rolled under the bed instead, hoping that the man wouldn't look.

Stanford heard the thud. "Amelia? I know you're in here, don't play coy with me!" Stanford called out, walking to Amelia's room. Stanford looked around, looking for Amy. She was too large to fit under the bed, so he checked the wardrobe. Empty. He checked her closet. Empty. He checked the bathroom. Empty. Stanford groaned. "You win this round Amelia!" He said, leaving the room. As he left the house, he slammed the door.

Acha lay with held breath as the man trampled around the room; she was sure he would find her, she almost wanted him to find her, for the waiting to be over so she can at least know her fate. She thought he could surely hear her heartbeat, her restless thoughts. She couldn't understand a word of what he said, only heard the tone, and she didn't like it. It wasn't a friendly voice.
She was so surprised when the man left that she didn't yet dare to allow herself to rejoice in her fortunate escape. What if he'd only left to bring back more humans? Should she find a different room in the meantime? But what if they come back when she hasn't had a chance to hide yet? She lay there, motionless, her heartbeat slowly subsiding, even when she finally felt Amy's presence nearby.

Amelia was approaching her house as Stanford stormed out. He didn't notice her, and she raised an eyebrow. Amy entered the house and set her keys and various items on the kitchen counter. 'Acha?' Amy called out mentally and verbally. She noticed Stanford's dirty bootprints on her tile floor. Amelia scowled. That rat had been in her house! Amy took a second to look around, and was pleasantly surprised. Acha had helped out a lot around the house. Amy smiled. 'Acha are you ok?'

Acha crawled out from under the bed, near tears. Amy was here, everything would be all right now, no one could hurt them anymore. She almost fell into Amy's arms in relief, but stopped herself. That wasn't something one did, especially not without asking. It wasn't even necessary, strictly speaking, and in those cases one doesn't ask.
You are here... You are really back! I thought maybe you would never come and he would take me... I was so afraid he would find me! I was so afraid you wouldn't know where I am. He can't come back now, can he?

Amelia nodded. 'He's gone.' She said. 'That rat was only here to flirt with me. He shouldn't have been here anyways. You're safe now. Its all ok. You look like you need a hug.' Amelia commented, slipping off her shoes. Amy was exhausted. Not only did she have to examine three tiny items, she had to walk all over that stupid dig site to 'check on' various excavations. Amelia had a sneaking suspicion that the lead of this site was out to get her. It wasnt true, but Amelia was allowed to believe anything she liked.

This was all the encouragement Acha needed. She wasn't particularly clean for having hidden under the bed, but she forgot about that, collapsed against Amy's chest and cried. It was so safe and so warm. It seemed she cried a lot these days. Well... of course. She felt a lot of different things these days, the pain of loss not the least among them, but not the only thing either.
I'm so glad you are back! He was a scary man, he spoke so aggressively!... Amy, what's flirting? He isn't going to hurt you, is he?

Amy held Acha close to her. 'Hey, he's not really as scary as you think. He was just mad because I wasn't home.' Amelia said. She was a little grumpy that he had come in her house, but she was more worried about Acha. 'Flirting is... You're showing affection with words and body language. Well not affection as much as attraction. He thinks I'm pretty. He wont hurt me. His name is Stanford by the way. Stanford Albee.' Amelia hated that man. 'I'm so sorry that he frightened you. Everyone was supposed to be at the dig site today, but I guess he wasn't.' Amy said.

I see. All right.
Acha still didn't quite understand how the man had acted, but it wasn't important anymore. Not now that he wasn't here and Amy reassured her he meant no harm. Still, she could feel some kind of hostility in Amy.
You don't like him, do you? - she asked, not to understand him anymore but to understand her. But it seemed a stupid question in hindsight. Who would like someone who traipses around her home uninvited and frightens her friends? And doesn't even do what he is supposed to. Of course not. I understand. But next time, if you have to leave, could you lock the door? I don't mind if I can't go outside for a few hours.

'No, I don't like him. And I'll do you one better. I had another key made, so that you can lock and unlock the door as you please. I'll show you how tomorrow.' Amelia said. 'Oh, and thank you for helping out with house work. That really helps.' Amelia smiled, happy that everything was ok now. 'So, other than the Stanford incident, how was your day? Did you find anything new that you liked, or see something overly strange?' Amelia asked

In fact, yes, I have seen something interesting, I just forgot when I had to hide. Acha pulled away and looked around to find one of the interesting objects she had found. There were several of that in the house, in different colours, this one green; it was thick and rectangular, made of a stack of thin sheets between two harder boards. She opened it as she held it up. This seems a little like writing to me, in that there are many small symbols. But there aren't as many kinds as our writing has, just a few, and all of them occur very often. I can't read it. But it is writing, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.