Awakening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amy noticed the sadness in Acha's smile. 'We have a lot of different things, but I hope we have some things that are similar. Spiders are still around, for one.' Amy said, smiling reassuringly at Acha. 'We can start to walk now. I for one am so looking forward to getting all this dirt and grime off of me. I may seem non-plussed, but the feel of dirt under my fingernails makes me cringe.' They began to walk to Amy's residence. 'Luckily, I am just analyzing some DNA samples tomorrow, so you and I will be snug at home.'

Of course. I don't like being dirty either.
Acha found she was glad to get going. If she was going near the humans, she wanted to get through there as soon as possible, and into the safety of Amy'd dwelling. That was the only way she would feel reassured again. She was glad that at least for a day she would not have to come out. That was only a day, of course - but a day was a very long time, so it felt now; not even a day had passed since she woke up and by now her entire life, no, the entire world was so different than she ever would have imagined.
I don't know what DNA is, but if it doesn't bother you, I could watch what you are doing, and you could tell me about it.
She was just saying that when they passed beside the metal contraptions. She glanced at them nervously, as if afraid that they will wake them up by moving so close to them. She noticed leaves and twigs stuck to one. These broke the trees. They must be strong. They won't hurt us, will they? They aren't moving now.

'I'll explain it all tomorrow. You can watch you you like, I dont mind.' Amy said, smiling at Acha. She noticed Acha's unease and looked around, noticing the diggers and dozers. Amy shook her head. 'No, they wont hurt us. They only work when people, humans, operate them. They wont start up again until tomorrow.' Thinking of something Amy pursed her lips. 'I hope the vibrations wont bother you...' She said. It got darker as they walked, and Amelia was anxious to get home. She really didn't want to run into any people or wildlife. Amy contemplated asking Acha for a sample of her DNA to analyze. The pair soon reached Amy's place. It wasn't too big, nor too small. It was a cozy thing. Amy unlocked the door and lead them in. 'Home sweet home.'

The house resembled a normal suburban house, but all one floor. The master bedroom and one other bedroom are on the far side of the house, and the third bedroom is closer to the door. There is a living area encompassing most of the space, and then there is a second bathroom awkwardly placed close to the entrance to the pseudo basement, which is just another room, really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Acha followed nervously after Amy. The whole building was so strange, mainly because it stood alone, as if it was its own very small town surrounded by its very own little forest and meadow. In Acha's culture, towns formed one interconnected structure, but she was still relieved that this one wasn't like that. It felt safer that way, more apart from humans... more defendable. In her mind she was already preparing for a siege, even though Amy seemed relaxed and unaware of any danger. Amy must, of course, have been right, she knew humans and Acha didn't, but it would still take some getting used to. Maybe her nerves were just used up for the day. Well... not just maybe.
The floor was surprisingly warm, even though the Sun didn't shine in here. It took a moment for her to realize what it's made of: wood. She knew trees, of course, but they had never used their flesh for building purposes. There were several other things also made of wood in the house; she would have to get used to that too. She wanted to explore the house, but immediately realized she was in no shape for that now.
Can you show me where the shower is and how to use it? I think I can't do anything more now, just wash myself and sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
As they walked in, Amelia noticed Acha looking over the house. it must have seemed strange to her. at Acha's question, Amy nodded and lead Acha to the bedroom she would use. It was next to Amy's and connected to the master bath. 'This is the bedroom you can use to sleep in. My room is next to this one, just separated from yours by the master bathroom.' Amy said. She lead Acha into the master bathroom and showed her the shower. 'You can do one of two things; you can turn the water ob and pull on this to take a shower, or you can keep it down and push this down to take a bath.' Amy told her, demonstrating without the water going. 'Turn this knob to turn on the water and control temperature. This way is cold water, and this way is warm water. Be careful and test the water before you get in so you don't burn yourself or make the water too cold.' Amy said. 'Im going to hop in the shower as well, in the other bathroom, but I'll set some clothes out for you. You look about my size.' Amy said. 'Do you need anything else before I leave to do that?'

No, I think I can remember. Acha decided immediately that she will take a bath for now; she had had about enough new experiences. She could try the shower some other time. It seemed strange to her, a waste, to make a tub so small that only one person can fit into it, then make several bathrooms. Well, there must be some reason for that. Maybe originally only one person lived here, then more moved in, more bathing space was needed, and they built one more. Then the other person moved out, leaving only Amy. Yes, that was probably it. She sat down on the edge of the tub, unclasping the neck of her dress, when something suddenly occurred to her.
There were also several differently-coloured bottles beside the tub, and a few other objects she didn't know about. Before Amy could leave, she quickly asked about them. What do I do with these? Should I just leave them alone for now?

Amy looked back and smiled. 'Oh, thats shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. The first two are for your hair, and the other is soap to clean your body. You dont have to use any of them if you dont want to.' Amy said, indicating each bottle in turn. 'You go ahead and take your bath. Ill get you some clothes.' Amy said and left the bathroom. Amelia walked into her own room, opening her drawers. She didnt know if Acha wore undergarments, so she closed that drawer, omitting them. She took out some cloth shorts and a cotton shirt, and went to Acha's room to set them on her bed. Amy then made her way to the other bathroom, taking a shower herself. When she got out, she wrapped a towel around her body, put her clothes in the washer, and walked to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

Acha disrobed, climbed into the tub and fiddled a little with the levers, at first causing cold water to burst forth at an alarming rate through the showerhead and splash nearly the entire room, but then got the hang of it. Soon she was pleasantly submerged in the water. When she felt clean enough she took the dress she wore into the tub too, trying to wash it at least a little, so as to see if it's torn. Fortunately it wasn't. It wasn't entirely clean either, but she would just let it soak to loosen the dirt and wash it in the morning when she isn't so tired. She also washed off the shovel that she had brought with her even here; it would be nicer to put it away clean.
Now which one was the door to her room? She spent a few moments recalling how they had come in. It would be bad if she accidentally intruded in Amy's room, especially now that she couldn't feel her presence in either. Finally she thought she could remember and pushed one door slightly open. Was that the one? She wasn't yet used to these enough to tell the difference. It had clothes on the bed, so maybe that's it. But maybe those were Amy's clothes. She had better look for her, it wouldn't be good to take her room by mistake and sleep there.
She thought she could feel her presence somewhere further in the house. Fortunately the doors were open, so she was clearly allowed go through.
Completely unnecessarily, but not knowing where to put it, she still carried the shovel in her hand.

Amy was still in the kitchen, leaning against the counter. Her eyes were closed, and she had a hand on her forehead. Upon hearing footsteps, she opened her eyes. 'Oh, Acha. Hello.' Amy said with a small smile. Amy spotted the shovel and her smile grew. 'Here, but it over here.' Amy said, indicating the broom closet. 'Did you need anything?' She asked, running a hand through her wet hair.

I think I got lost. I can't tell these rooms apart, so I'm not sure which is mine. Acha smiled an apologetic smile. I'll get used to it.
She parted with the shovel with slight reluctance, not that she really needed it, but her clothes were in the tub and now the shovel would be in the closet, and she won't be able to see anything familiar around her. How will she go to sleep? She could feel sadness enveloping her again; now that she was so tired she had no energy to keep it away. There was no helping it. She just wanted to be back in her tank and not know that everything was gone.

'Ill take you to your room.' Amy said. Noticing Acha's sadness, Amy frowned. 'Are you alright?' Amy asked. 'We can keep the shovel in your room if you'd like. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable. I want you to feel at home.' Amy said. Amy was worried about Acha. She was worried that Acha would become depressed, or that Acha would get hurt. Acha was now Amy's first priority. 'And if you ever feel troubled, you can always come to me.' Amy said

For a moment Acha wanted to say that the shovel wasn't the real problem, but then she took it with her anyway. Maybe it wasn't the problem and maybe it won't help, but she wanted it somewhere near regardless.
Thank you. I appreciate your concern. But I think there are things I can only get through in myself. You have done everything you can. I'll feel at home with time, maybe.
She let herself be led back to what turned out to have been her room after all, lay on her stomach on the bed and put her forehead on her arms. Amy was kind to her in every imaginable way, and she suspected she would feel at home already - or almost, at least - if not for the fact that home still meant something else to her. In a way, that made her feel guilty. Because Amy was trying. It was she herself who couldn't be happy yet. Not for a long time, perhaps. And she was a burden for that, she knew.

Amy went to her own room and got ready to sleep. Acha was on her mind, and Amy just wanted to help her not be sad. Amy went to sleep, exhausted.
In the morning she woke at 7:00 am, her colleague calling her. "What do you want?" Amy groaned, picking up the phone.
"Amelia, I've sent over the DNA samples. Someone should be there with them soon. You still have the equipment, right?" Her friend said.
"Yeah, I do. Ill listen for the door." Amy said and hung up. She got out of bed and put on a robe, going to the kitchen to get some breakfast. Amy was sore everywhere, and was trying to keep a good mood but failing.

While thinking about how she wouldn't be able to sleep tonight, Acha sank into a restless dream. She woke often, for moments, her mind feeling around for the others' in the neighbouring rooms, and coming back empty - there was only Amy, but Amy was there, and so she forced herself back to sleep every time.
But when she felt Amy was awake she found herself unable to sleep too. It was hard to tell whether or not she was still tired. Her body wasn't. Her soul was, and yet she couldn't spend the next few billion years asleep again, however much she wished for that. Not without her sleeping chamber. And then, when she wakes up again, Amy would be gone as well.
She got up. The new clothes were far from comfortable and would take some getting used to; she would just as soon not have worn anything. Yet inside it was strangely cool, and under this climate outside she would burn in minutes. She would wash her dress soon.
She left her room, in search of Amy, finding her in the same room as the evening before. It was immediately visible that she wasn't happy, and that concerned her.
Good morning. Is anything wrong?

Amy looked at Acha in surprise. 'Oh, good morning. No, I'm fine. Just sore and tired. I get grumpy in the mornings. Just ignore my mood.' Amy said, pouring herself some coffee with a small smile. 'How did you sleep? Im sorry if it was a bit uncomfortable. I know this is new for you.' Amy said, getting out a bowl and box of cereal.

Ignore her mood? That would be difficult. Acha's mind was wired to pay attention to the mood of others, and when there was only one other - one who was already becoming increasingly important - that wasn't easy. But what mattered is that nothing was wrong.
I slept. That's more than I expected. It wasn't uncomfortable at all, except maybe it's uncomfortable to be inside myself now. Acha stopped for a moment, a little ashamed that she had complaints at all. And these clothes, a little. Not that I'm not thankful for them, it's just strange to wear something so thick and so close to my body. But I'll wash my own clothes as soon as I have had something to eat. Is it safe to go outside to look for food?

'No, there are a lot of people around. But, I do have fruits and vegetables here. You can help yourself to them whenever. The vegetables are in the fridge, and the fruits, except the watermelon, are out here in that bowl.' Amy said, showing Acha everything. 'I will try and find something more comfortable for you. I have a silk dress, that might be better.' Amy said.

Ah, thank you. I don't know these fruits yet, but they smell delicious. Acha helped herself to a peach and took a small, tentative bite. Oh, this is very good. Thank you. And the dress too, I'm sorry I need so many things from you. I really wish I could be of more help. You do so much for me already, is there anything I can do for you? Yes, she was sad, but that didn't mean she couldn't help. Maybe it will even do her good to occupy herself; she will get used to the new world sooner that way, and if she doesn't, at least she won't be as much trouble. The kinder Amy was to her the less she wanted to take advantage of that kindness.

Amy shook her head. 'Well, there is something I wanted to ask of you. I am analyzing some DNA today, and was wondering if I could have a sample of yours later to analyze. I want to know more about you.' Amy said. 'After I finish my work for the dig site, I mean.' Amy poured herself some cereal and put the bowl and her coffee mug at the table, sitting down and eating. The doorbell rang and Amy got up. She met the guy at the door and took the samples inside, setting them down on the table, then going back to her breakfast.

Acha heard the doorbell, and was just about to ask what that was when Amy stood up and left. Acha could feel the presence of someone unfamiliar, and was suddenly concerned; she didn't dare follow, she just waited for something to happen. What was she going to do if it was someone hostile? If it hurt Amy? She could never save her, she didn't even know how to... But she didn't feel alarm on Amy, indeed she soon came back without incident, and Acha only knew how scared she had been when she finally relaxed.
Who was that? I'm glad you aren't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.