As We Meet Again

ED58E786-2A5D-4A53-8F43-BD196515B43D.gif

Aurelia laughed, nodding along to his words. They had been pretty good kids for the most part, at least in her eyes. There were much worse things other people in their school did, but man they loved to have fun. The adventures they managed to have, the drinks they shared, even the late night trips they made any chance they got. Even when Aj was most angry at Jaxon after his disappearance, she never could imagine forgetting him forever. A huge part of her life was heavily involved with him. Not only did they date for awhile, he was her best friend growing up and through high school. They were nearly inseparable. The only other people she was as close to was Lottie, her mother and grandpa. Jaxon would always be a part of her life, even in just memories.

Sunny definitely noticed his pause when correcting himself. She knew he was meaning high school, but she wasn't upset by the matter. Of course it was a reminder that he ever left in the first place, but she hadn't forgotten that. She was glad he was able to finish school at least. For many years she didn't know whether he was even safe. Although it stung, she was glad he was able to start over and finish getting where he wanted to be in life, even if it was without her.

"I could probably tell you just as much about cars now as I could back then," she chuckled, shaking her head slightly. She had learned the basics of a car: how to jump it, check the oil, fix a flat, change the tire, ect. As for fixing the thing up? Definitely not something she was made for. "I guess you could probably guess that though. I might have been organized but I was not mechanically smart. Rj just got his first car a couple weeks ago and he has been going crazy about it," she laughed. Her brother, now sixteen, had always loved Jaxon. He enjoyed hanging out with them when her mom needed a babysitter, and Jaxon never made either of her siblings seem like they were a bother, which of course they loved.

She had not told anyone that she was now living with Jaxon. She wasn't exactly sure how or what to say. Though her entire family loved him, his sudden change in attitude before disappearing changed their views. A lot in her family had changed since he had left as well. Her parents were now divorced, she had met her biological father and discovered several additional siblings she had. Along with this, many members of her family and their friend group in high school had passed away. Her uncle, who owned his own mechanical shop just after he left, and then a year later, her grandfather and a friend of theirs. It had truly been one thing after another since he disappeared, and she wasn't sure it was all worth catching him up on. She was such a different person. She saw the world differently and wasn't sure how they would get along now, despite things seeming to be great as they chatted now.

Taking another drink of her glass, she sat it between her legs and picked up the bag of graham crackers to munch on one. "I would say keep it. You'll regret getting rid of it. The more I do things that I've enjoyed, the more I realize how much I never want to forget it. It would be much better if a story to tell if you have the car with you down the road. Besides, if you sell it you'll get some cash and lose the memories, but if you keep it you aren't losing anything, you're just gaining memories," she shrugged. She had gotten a chance to do a lot more of the things she loved since graduation. She had traveled a lot and seen many different places. Her only wish was that she had gotten something from everywhere to remember it. Now all she had was memories and pictures, which was much better than anything. Of course the journals and photo albums she organized from each trip helps keep the memory alive as well.

"I am really glad that you found something that makes you happy," Sunny said after a moment, eventually smiling to look at him. Averting her eyes, she glanced back over towards Lottie and Layke and shook her head. "I can't believe they are not biting each other's heads off. It's almost as if they could be actual friends," she laughed a little, finishing her drink before adding it to the waste can behind her.

"You know they finally shut that old bridge down? The one where we use to hang out? I think about a year ago they blocked it off from traffic because of how unstable it is," she chuckled. The two had hung out there several times growing up. Her grandpa lived just down the dirt road from it so they'd go often. It was a terrible bridge. Shaking just by walking on it, yet cars drove over it daily. However, that didn't stop them from going every time they could. They had parties out there. It was right over the river with campgrounds, so often everyone would just bring a tent and a sleeping bag and after having a good time they'd all just hang out and camp for the rest of the weekend. Life was much easier back then.

"I can't believe they didn't shut it down back when we were kids," she chuckled, shaking her head.

• • • • •

23AC0816-D6A3-4B90-8509-7CD554208133.gif
Layke laughed at her response about cooking, shaking his head at how stubborn she could be. "You say that now, just wait until you want to try some of my famous lasagna and I'll remind you that you're not interested," he smirked back, taking another drink of the beer in his hand.

Layke honestly wasn't entirely sure what to think about Lottie. She was fierce for sure. Confident. Passionate. Drawn. But he couldn't help but feel like there was an entire other side of her that he wasn't able to see, and he wasn't sure he ever would. She seemed pretty reserved, like she didn't open up easily. Nothing like him. He didn't care, he'd tell anyone whatever they wanted to know. Well, except the one thing. It was almost funny how him and his mate were so different, yet so alike at the same time.

His mind began to ponder what it would be like in a relationship with her. He felt that he might actually be more of the "mushy, emotion" person while she was more laid back and didn't care. Of course he hadn't seen her in a relationship so he didn't know what type of girl she would be around a guy. It made him curious, however.

In response to her specialty, Layke nearly choked on his drink of beer, having to cough and clear his throat. "Forest predators, huh? " he asked, glancing towards Jaxon. He wasn't sure if his friend was even paying attention or if he was fully focused on Aj, but he turned his eyes back to Lottie. He was sure it was nothing to worry about. She couldn't know anything about him or Jaxon or she would have said something since she was so blunt. It was just so.. coincidental that she wanted to study the exact thing he was, a predator.

Leaning back in his seat as she spoke, he nodded a bit to her words. "I've never even thought about traveling as a veterinarian duty, but that makes sense. It could be fun and a lot of opportunity to see different types of wildlife, especially if the endangered species are what you're most interested in," he said finishing his own beer. He didn't reach for anything new yet, still pacing himself. He wasn't much of a heavy drinker. A couple daily drinks was his typical. Anything else just didn't appeal to him most of the time.

"What made you want to go to veterinarian school?" he asked.

Charlotte

His smirk, she found, was infectious. The longer she witnessed it, the more she wanted to see it. She enjoyed this teasing banter they had going on, the flirtatious atmosphere. It was different to the full-blown snapping and retorts that usually came between them. Obviously that caused a sexual tension that which secretly Lottie loved, but this...

It felt like they were more than even friends, perhaps even together. The easy banter, the crackling energy between them, it made it so easy to imagine.

Immediately Lottie shoved that thought to the back of her head, squashed it into a tiny box and locked it. One, she couldn't do that to AJ; this was her friend's housemate they were talking about and Lottie didn't want to fuck anything up for her. Two, she still didn't know if she forgave Layke for potentially knowing what happened and yet not saying anything. And three, she still had some commitment issues.

Yes, she was seeing that guy from the dating app, but that was hardly anything serious. She barely opened up to any guy ever since her low point after her father's death. And rarely did people know the true extent of her past. That was only for her trusted inner circle, and when that is narrowed down... that was only AJ. Lottie was the kind to bottle everything up until it became too much to control anymore. Then the explosion would be intense, brutal and emotional. She tried to keep a brave face on for those she loved and cared about, kept a cool and aloof facade. However this wasn't the case, on the inside, Lottie cared. A lot.

Pulling herself away from these darker thoughts, she frowned slightly at his choking reaction. She sat up after drinking some of her soda, "Uh yeah, forest... predators-- are you okay?" She questioned, waiting for him to compose himself again. Assuming his look to Jaxon was to ensure his friend that he was okay. "Yeah so uh... forest predators. I don't know, I've just always been interested in them. Just their behaviours and dynamics. Like did you know, with wolves, they have an alpha but that alpha always makes sure that the pups in the pack get their fill of food before others dig in?"

Lottie was a bit of a nerd for forest predators, particularly wolves. Cougars were a close second. Both completely different but both so fascinating to her.

"Because, apart from AJ and my brother, animals are better than people." She then answered bluntly, folding her legs and tucking them under herself. "I have yet to meet another person who gets into that very small list of people who I can truly tolerate. Animals, there's no bullshit, you know exactly what they are feeling."

Jaxon

"Fucking hell, RJ is on his first car already?" Jaxon laughed, smiling at the memory of Sunny's sibling, "Well, if you or him need a hand with anything, give me a shout. I'd be happy to help." He offered, taking a few sips from his beer to finish it off. He soon stood to collect another one, remaining stood afterwards to enjoy the breeze. His body temperature was running a little higher so sitting as close as he was to the fire only served to make him feel even warmer than usual.

He turned to face her, listening to her suggestions and smiling quietly at the wisdom that came from her. His only regret would be that he wouldn't be able to create any memories in that car with her. Road trips and lake visits, seaside days and nights under the stars. Perhaps they'd be able to one day do that all together as friends, but Jaxon was beginning to resign himself to the fact that they probably wouldn't be together. All because of him and his previous behaviour.

That didn't mean he wouldn't try. He wouldn't purposefully ruin anything that Sunny was happy in, but if the opportunity were to fall into his lap, or if it was like what Layke said that they were destined to be together... maybe it would all work out eventually.

He tore his eyes off her when she began to speak about Layke and Lottie, following her gaze to the pair and smirked slightly himself, "About time, their squabbling was getting annoying." He chuckled, taking a swig of beer once again.

"No they are not." Jaxon sat back in his seat, shaking his head at the mention of that bridge, "Fuck me, that thing lasted a hell of a lot longer than I expected it to. How did we not die drivin' over it?" He fell silent, thinking back to the few parties that they did have over there. He smiled fondly, rubbing the back of his neck, "Those were some good times, weren't they?" He mused, thinking about all the times they did just what they were doing now at those parties. Except he was with Sunny by that point.

He'd make sure to bring extra throw blankets so she could put them over her legs if she got cold. There would also be a can of bug spray in the side of his car and in his tent in case she forgot hers. Not to mention he would always find an excuse to get her to sleep in his tent or vise versa. To this day Jaxon swore his best sleeps were when he had Sunny by his side, either tucked up against her or with him spooning her.

"There are so many memories at that bridge... it'll be a shame to see that go."

Hex Code (Jaxon): #9a7f7e
Hex Code (Lottie): #506e68

93E2296C-5D17-481B-B94A-0CE5F593BED6.gif
The more the two chatted, the more she realized how much she missed him. When he first left, that was all she could remember. The longing for her friend back. The hours they could spend talking without a break, the adventures they managed to go on, the secrets she confessed to him. It was a complete loss for her to lose not only someone, the first person, she had ever been intimate with, emotionally, physically, and spiritually, but also the first person she had ever confided in. She had lost the person she thought was her soulmate, and her best friend all at once.

The relationship the two shared was not the ordinary high schoolers dating. Aj was not simply "in love with him" or "girl crazy." It wasn't teenage love. The way she felt when she was with Jaxon was more intensely than she had ever felt with anyone else. When she was angry at him, she was furious, but when she liked him, she loved him. It was like everything with him was intensified. For many years after he left, Aj always assumed the only reason she hadn't felt that way with someone else she dated was because she never had the closure with Jaxon like she longed for. Almost like she didn't want to let him go.

After reuniting with him, she realized that it wasn't her imagination. No matter how much she tried to feel that way about those she had dated since he left, nothing compared to her feelings towards Jaxon. Even at a young age when their main focus was trouble, adventures and fun, Sunny had always imagined her life with Jaxon. Not only were they "the couple" during school, but no one imagined them separating until he started changing. The thought still made Aj wince. She remembered it clearly, the imagine of the man she loved turning into a stranger in the blink of an eye.

"I don't think they'll ever tear it down. As far as I know they'll just keep it blocked from cars. When we went down to visit my grandpas place before the summer I went down there and I could walk down, it just had the signs blocking cars. It's probably for the best, but damn there were a lot of good memories there," she laughed a little. They didn't party down there often, but it was one of her favorite places to be, especially when there wasn't a whole bunch of people. Setting up the tent on the rocks or even throwing an air mattress into the back of an old truck, listening to the river flowing, watching the stars in the dark sky. It was one of her happy places.

"I still can't believe we stayed down there after Jimmy broke his leg jumping into the water," she said, shaking her head. She reach over to get a soda to sip on, crossing her legs in front of her again, one arm running up her other arm to hold herself tightly as she remembered some of the memories from the bridge. It seemed like every memory she had from back then involved Jaxon, which reminded her why she avoided them. "I still can't believe they didn't kick me out of cheer when they caught us down there with beer," she busted up, remembering the look on the officers faces when they recognized Jaxon and Aj. She had been a cheerleader and close friends with the officer's daughter, so him catching her and Jaxon out on the river in the middle of the night, drinking beer in a tent didn't exactly earn her brownie points.

"I thought for sure he'd rat us out, but I guess he liked us more than he let on," she shook her head, chuckling a bit. "I still can't believe we did half of the shit we did and survived."

• • • • •

0DB13694-4076-495E-A73E-C830E5A4C804.gif
The more Lottie talked, the more Layke thought she for sure knew something. Seriously? What was the chances that his and his best friend's mates were doctors for animals, specifically wolves, and humans, and they happened to be half human, half wolf? There was no way fate could be so good to them. Despite his worries about anything she might have knew, Layke pushed it aside. How would she have even found out about them? Up until a month ago, she didn't know either existed, well aside from Jaxon who she thought was some kid who bailed on her friends a few years ago. She didn't know they were werewolves.

Clearing his through, patting his chest as he did so, he nodded and sighed. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. Sorry, go ahead," he said after regaining himself from choking on the drink. It was almost funny how she seemed to hate people so much and love animals. Perhaps that was why she couldn't figure out whether she wanted to jump Layke's bones or smash his skull in.

"I suppose that's fair," he said with a chuckle. "I don't know, sometimes wolves can be a little hard to understand. Sure, they are a pack so they protect those around them, but it's not easy to get past their circle. I suppose that's a good thing, but it makes it difficult to fully understand their motives and reasonings. Sometimes what they do isn't always what they feel, but it's what they feel is best for their pack," he said, referring to how no matter his instincts to be with her, for her protection and his packs protection he could never tell her the secret, therefore making it nearly impossible to have the open relationship he wanted with her.

"At least, that's what I've ready," he said quickly, shrugging as he finally averted from the eye contact he held with her. He glanced towards Sunny and Jaxon. He knew his friend had never stopped caring for his mate, and he knew it would be impossible, however he wondered what his plan was if he did get Aj to be with him again. Would his friend risk the pack and AJ's life to involve her in this secret, or would he hide the second part of his life from her? Layke was still torn. Neither decision was ideal, which was why he was avoiding it as long as possible. Instead, he'd continue the playful arguments they had, enjoying the satisfaction she got out of thinking she had won their banters.

Charlotte

"Of course they would do what is best for their pack, they're extremely loyal and devoted creatures." Lottie agreed, slipping into the comfort that the topic of animals provided her. Not only did it help that she knew so much due to her chosen career path, but also because she just loved animals. Even before vet school she was researching and googling facts and papers just so she could understand all creatures better. "Like, no matter how bad things get, how little food there is or how tough a situation becomes... they stay with their pack. No human would do that." She shrugged, taking a sip of her soda, confident in her beliefs, not matter how negative they may be on her own kind.

Lottie stared down at her soda cup for a moment, brow slowly beginning to furrow as she lost herself to her own thoughts for a moment. There were times when she actually envied creatures such as wolves. She wondered what it would be like to have such a tight-knit unit surrounding her, looking out for her just as much as she would be looking out for them. She knew AJ looked out for her, with her friend often correcting her if she were to be too blunt or harsh; something that happened more times than Lottie really liked but she was grateful to have someone there to call her out on her shit.

"Sometimes I wonder if I was a wolf in a past life, you know." Lottie then smirked, head tipping back and eyes closing as she faced the sky, "I'll defend AJ and my brother till my last breath but it's a real fight to get me to like you." She continued, musing more to herself than Layke as she considered the comparisons. "Without AJ and my brother, I'd probably be more of a loner predator, like cougars or bears."

Yawning, she turned her head to look to Layke, opening one eye to do so. "What about you? You a loner or do you like having a pack?" She questioned, chuckling at her analogy, not even realising just how on edge it was making Layke; nor how close to the truth she was really getting about her best friend's two new housemates.

Jaxon

"Maybe we can do that again some time... the four of us go down there. Maybe-- maybe make some new memories. Could be good once I get my car restored, like you said, make some memories with it." Jaxon thought out loud, avoiding her gaze as he didn't really want to witness her reaction to his suggestion if it was a negative one. At least it wasn't as if he was suggesting that the two of them went alone, he wasn't that naive to believe she would be up for that. Besides, he was just beginning to enjoy this conversation with her, he didn't want to scare her off him completely when they seemed to be making some progress.

Finally Jaxon looked back up to her as her movements caught his eye, frowning slightly with concern as she ran her other hand up her opposite arm. He wondered if she was cold, because even though they were sat near the fire, that didn't guarantee warmth. Instinctively he began to remove his lightweight jack, standing as he pulled his arms through the holes and moved to rest it over her shoulders.

"I'll be forever grateful he didn't say anything. I probably missed some baseball for that and I was not about to let that happen."
He chuckled, referring to his time playing baseball on the school team. He wasn't anything special, but him holding the position of pitcher and helping strike out the opposite did help with his popularity at the time. "Although I doubt coach would have let that happen too. We were on a bit of a hot streak that year."

He could remember the slight fear and anxiety that he had when they got caught, but remained calm and composed for AJ's sake.

Jaxon then smirked, sipping from his beer, "I know right? But hey, now you're pretty much a doctor, you're there ready to revive us if we do die doing any stupid shit in the future." He joked, falling easily into that comfortable energy that being around her brought him.

7F91AA16-ECDA-4DE8-A54A-7FD6CF0ED289.gif

The mention of returning to the bridge made Sunny begin to chew at her bottom lip nervously. Part of her knew that the suggestion was harmless and innocent, but she couldn't wrap her head around the idea. For her, she hadn't stopped visiting there, nor any of the others places they shared memories. She had to deal with his leaving the best she could, and the suggestion of making new memories reminded her of how hard she had to work to accept that there never would be a chance at new memories with him. Yet here he was, sitting in front of her a few years later suggesting the idea.

She didn't response as she allowed her mind time to process, instead she turned her eyes to the fire to watch the flames rising, sipping at the drink in her hand. Her attention was only brought back to reality when she felt movement around her shoulders. Instinctively, Aj moved quickly, nearly standing from her seat until she realized what Jaxon was doing. Although in a previous life Aj would have been grateful for the offer, she instead removed it from her shoulders and sat it on the chair beside her, not entirely sure it was the best idea. To start, she had a boyfriend, and it wasn't Jaxon, but she also hadn't wore his clothes since they were together. Despite it being a kind gesture meant with no harm, Aj couldn't push the memories from her mind. She sighed for a moment, words still not coming to her as she tried to imagine what to say or how to explain her actions.

Then she realized that she did not owe him any explanation. Her reactions were justified by his previous actions, including his disappearance a few years back. She didn't need to feel sorry for not accepting a friendship with him again. She had been too vulnerable with him before and losing him played a significant loss for her both mentally, emotionally and physically. She had not allowed herself to get that close with anyone since then, too afraid of the rejection she had once experienced. Lottie was the only person she had truly connected with since he had left.

"Sorry, excuse me," Aj said, standing back up from her chair after a few moments of not speaking. She moved past his chair and made her way into house where she walked down to the bathroom. She just needed some air away from Jaxon to breathe again, suddenly feeling like she was trapped in the memories from their previous friendship. It was difficult pretending like nothing had happened and not talking to him when he was constantly just a short walk from her room. It wasn't ideal, but honestly, Sunny hadn't figured out what the right thing to do was.

She swore she'd never allow herself to be hurt again the way that he hurt her, and she didn't trust that he wouldn't have the ability to do it a second time. At the same time, ignoring their history seemed almost childish. As their genuine conversation had it that night, they had so many amazing memories together. He was such a big part of her life that cutting the memories out completely would cut out a lot of who she was. So avoiding him had been her best option up until now. Talking to him almost made her forget how much she wanted to hate him. But she couldn't. She never had, and never would be able to. Somehow, she realized, she hadn't ever stopped loving him.

After using the bathroom from all of the drinks she had already consumed, Aj tossed some fresh water on her face and made her way back out to the fire, grabbing a beer as she passed the cooler. She took her place again, pulling her foot back up beside her.

"I'm not so sure I would have been able to save us in all of the situations we got into," she chuckled a little. "Sometimes I really wonder how we didn't end up hurt. And to think I still haven't broken a bone," she laughed, shaking her head. Tucking a blonde curl behind her ear, her eyes followed the scene around her, taking in the memory and trying to memorize the sounds. The crackling of the fire, the laughs that Lottie and Layke were (surprisingly) sharing, slight blowing of the breeze, even the light breathing of Jaxon beside her. Everything was just fitting so perfectly together, she couldn't help but smile at the thought.

She could give herself time to figure out the situation with Jaxon, but for now she wanted to enjoy the night. And she was doing so by catching up with him and for awhile, forgetting that he had ever left.

Between sharing memories each time something reminded the other, Aj told Jaxon about all of her years in school. She told him about what it was like working in a hospital with all the different people, some of the crazy patients she saw and some of the cool things she got to try being an intern. She listened to him talk about meeting Layke and their group of friends, and about the mechanic business and how they had started it and got the house. Eventually once it started to get a little cooler out, Sunny wrapped herself back up in the jacket she had left over the chair before, appreciating the warmth it provided her always cold body.

She made s'mores, probably more than she should have, and drank definitely more than she should have. Once the moon was out and the fire was hardly providing enough light to guide them, Aj looked over towards Lottie and then back towards Jaxon. She had such a good night, almost better than what she hoped for. She didn't want it to end because she knew the next day would likely go back to normal. Lottie and Layke weren't going to be chatting and teasing, they'd have their snarky remarks and tension. Aj and Jaxon wouldn't be best friends sharing memories again, they'd be awkward and avoiding each other's gazes. After a tired yawn though, Aj knew better than to push her limit, especially after drinking.

"I'm thinking it's about time to call it a night," she said, chuckling a bit. Her body had eventually turned, fully facing Jaxon as they talked, leaning into the conversation the more she relaxed to the familiar presence of an old friend. "Thank you for this. Really," she said softly, picking the journal back up and sitting it against her leg. "And thank you for this," she chuckled as she handed him his jacket back. "I guess I haven't changed too much over the years," she shrugged, standing up. The drinks were definitely kicking in as she felt the buzz go straight to her head, but thankfully she wasn't too much of a light weight she would fall over. She thankfully still had her balance.

"I don't know about you, but I'm getting in before these bugs eat me up," she told Lottie, wondering if her friend was even paying attention. She almost wondered if they would talk about the night. It was strange for both of them, but almost so strange she wasn't sure what they'd say about it.

• • • • •
DD474726-4B22-4DC6-B4E4-B8A9CCE58B31.gif
The small smirk appeared on Layke's face as Lottie continued speaking, not realizing how wrong she was about no human being as loyal. At least, she was half right since he was only half human. Although the conversation had the hair on his arms standing, nervous they were getting too close to the touchy subject, Layke couldn't help but notice how much more excited and relaxed Lottie got at the animal talk. She truly did have a passion.

If only he was able to tell her his secret. If she didn't immediately think he was psycho and report him to the police, he knew that she would find it fascinating because of how she talked, seeming so amazed in the possibility. It was just be too risky to tell her anything. Even if he did trust her, there was no guarantee that she wouldn't tell his secret. Despite his doubt, there was always the possibility. Not to mention that with how intrigued she'd be, she'd want to see, which he could never allow. He was too afraid of hurting any human, but especially his mate. If anything happened to her, especially at his hands, he wasn't sure he'd be able to live with himself.

As her head tilted up and her eyes closed, he admired her before forcing his eyes away. He knew better than to stare. The more he did, the more he longed for her. The more he longed for her, the harder it was to remind himself why it could not happen. Why he didn't want it to happen.

Her next question made him laugh a little and he leaned his own head back to stare at the clouds darkening around them. It was already getting late and they hadn't even noticed. Her yawn obviously indicated that sleep was something they all longed for, though he had a feeling that none of them were ready for the night to end quite yet. "I can be either, I think," he said with a shrug. "Although I think I'd prefer my pack over independence," he said, mind literally referring to his pack.

After a while of chatting, Layke watched Aj stand up and glance towards her friend, finally ending the night. It had turned out much better than he expected, and he hoped it would at least help lighten the mood for the future, if nothing else. "I'll stay out here and clean up and put the fire out. Have a good night," he said towards the girls, smiling towards them both.

Last edited:

Charlotte

As the night wore on, Charlotte found herself slowly becoming a little more comfortable around Layke and indulged in another two or so beers. Knowing AJ was close helped with her feeling that confidence to do so and Lottie allowed herself to enjoy the evening of easy, teasing banter with Layke. The longer it remained just the two of them talking, the both of them enjoying each other's company, the more Lottie found herself wondering how it would be to, well, be with him.

Her mind drifted to how his well-worked hands would feel against her skin, how soft his lips would be and how it would be if she could climb into his lap just to be held. Then she'd catch herself, blinking the thoughts away and fighting against the pull he had on her. How could someone she had only met a month a go be stronger at enticing her, while not even doing anything but talking, than some guy she had been on a few dates with already?

Lottie still wore the grin she was giving Layke when AJ approached, turning her head to look up at her friend. A pang of disappointment rang through her at her friend's confession that she was heading in, grin slowly fading as she realised what she had just felt. She didn't want to leave this conversation and atmosphere she had with Layke, but she wasn't about to choose a practical stranger over her best friend.

"I don't suffer as bad as you do with the stupid bugs, but I am getting a little tired." She admitted, glancing back to Layke as he spoke, "You sure?" She then asked, pulling her cardigan closed against the slight chill that just made itself known.

After getting an answer, she glanced between the two boys and offered a civil smile, "Thanks for a good night, wasn't actually half bad." She commented before turning to follow after AJ into the house once her friend was done with her own goodnights. However, Lottie did pause at the back door to look over her shoulder to wherever Layke was stood. A smirk pulled at her lips as she studied him for a moment, even daring to offer a wink before slipping into the house to hurry after AJ.

Jaxon

"That's okay..." Jaxon smiled quietly as he took his jacket back from her, finding it odd that she eventually took it after her sudden, abrupt departure after he first offered it. He knew now that it may have been a nice gesture, but not the correct one to make given their complicated history. His jacket, offered in a moment where he thought his mate was cold, now held the lingering remnants of Sunny's scent and his hands silently tightened around it as he watched her stand and walk away.

He exhaled heavily, sinking back into his camper chair as he looked down at his jacket. He too contemplated if tomorrow would go back to things being as they were. After such a good night talking to her and reminiscing over past memories, he almost feared going back to how it was after having a glimpse of what it could be like.

Eventually he stood to join his friend after the two girls began to leave, sinking into the seat that Lottie had just vacated.

"You two seemed like you were hittin' it off, without tearing each other's throats out too, no less." He raised an eyebrow, allowing a cheeky grin to appear to hide his own conflict. "Think it'll be like this tomorrow too or we'll have to suffer through all that sexual tension again? It's honestly suffocatin', Layke, sort it out would you?"

46465D2C-442C-4259-B903-74842630B8C0.gif
Once the girls made it inside the house, it was almost as if there was this barrier falling down. A breath escaped her lips and she only turned to look at her friend, unsure if she wanted to even mention the way she had acted towards Layke that night, and for the first time, she wasn't having to scold her for being hateful. Not to mention that she had sat and had a real conversation with Jaxon. She never imagined herself ever doing that again, even after she realized he was her roommate. She had probably only said fifteen words to him all month, yet tonight, everything just felt right, just like it did many years ago when she was first befriending him. She had always loved that she had that connection with him, blue to talk to him about anything and never feel judged or that they were running out of topics to discuss. He always made her think, and she always pushed him for new ideas. It was a good team they had. Things had changed so much since then.

Sunny stopped by the kitchen to make two mugs of hot chocolate before bringing them down to her bedroom, always craving something warm and sweet after a few drinks and before bed. Sliding under the sheet as she joined her friend, she sat her glass on the nightstand and handed the other towards her friend, pulling her knee up to her chest as she finally began to sip the warm liquid. "So, you and Layke seemed to get along pretty well tonight. Please tell me you're going to start being nice to him and just get over the sexual tension," she laughed a little, nudging her friend to ease the silence.

"Honestly, you two would be adorable together. I always catch him staring at you and you can't even deny the flirting you give him. Truly, I don't understand why you won't give him a shot at least. He isn't a bad guy," Aj said, flipping the blankets over to cover her cold feet. She had yet to shower change into her pajamas, but she figured she'd talk to her friend and then get ready for bed. She hadn't wrote in her journal, despite the million of things she desperately needed to let out. Thankfully, her friend was there and the door was closed, so she was all ears.

"Honestly, tonight was a really good night," she said softly, sipping her hot drink again. "Jaxon is a good guy, and to be able to catch up with him.. to talk to him as if he had never left. It felt just like it did before. That... connection?" she questioned, tilting her head. "It was still there," Sunny glanced towards her friend. "But it doesn't change much for me. I am still with someone else, and he still left. Even if he does seem like the same guy as before, that guy left once before. I can't trust that he won't again," she admitted, her shoulder slumping slightly.

"It's just disappointing to have to wonder about the what-ifs," Aj said. "Which is exactly why you need to stop stalling and give Layke a chance! Or at least give me more details about this tinder guy," she chuckled, her body turning towards her friend, eager to hear more details about either of the men she had dancing in her palm.

• • • • •
E9B58093-7593-45A1-A8BB-D59C776EB33F.gif
Layke nodded as he watched Lottie pull the cardigan closer to her, concern shooting through his veins as he began to worry about her being cold. "For sure. I'm not quite finished with it yet," he said, his shaggy hair bouncing as he nodded slightly. Layke was pleasantly surprised by her attitude. He knew that she mostly put up a thick front because she wasn't a big fan of Jaxon leaving Sunny, but part of him wondered if that was the only reason she was being so hard on him. They seemed to have hit it off well, so part of Layke hoped things could be different. Even if he couldn't allow himself to be with her for her safety, maybe a friendship was worth perusing after all.

After the girls walked back inside, Layke's eyes focused on them until the door shut, he turned to watch his friend move to the now empty seat where his mate once sat. Leaning back in his chair, his muscles relaxing as he stretched his legs out, Layke sighed deeply. The sarcastic comment from his friend only made his eyes roll in response, a grin popping up in the humor. "I don't think she's going to be that easy, unfortunately," he laughed a little. "I don't know, man. I'm so torn. I mean you get it. Being around her is like this constant pulling of my body to get closer to her. I've never had such intense and heightened feelings. I mean I feel like every little breath she takes I have to hang onto, and I'm not sure why," he shook his head again, aggravated with the situation.

"I mean, shit, I know she's my mate. That's obvious enough, but why her? I mean we can't tell them, ya know? But even if we could I don't think I would. I mean what if something happened? How easily I could hurt her on accident? Or if one thing happens and I loose my cool or heaven forbid someone else find out and I put her in danger?" he said, skin burning as rage began to get the best of him. His rough hands were cramping against the wooden chair as he fought thoughts of what he'd do if she was ever harmed, especially by himself. "I just can't risk that," he said, his hands releasing the wood before he snapped the arm rest.

"Why the hell do we have the worst of luck?" he said, taking another drink of his current bottle. "I am so torn about it. I can't stop from wanting her and now that I have met her I don't think I can walk away, but I'm too afraid to do something. But I also couldn't stand seeing her with someone else. It's not fair of me to keep it a secret if we did start going out, not since I know that long term she is suppose to be mind," Layke mumbled, conflicted about the decision. That was the only good thing about them not getting along—he didn't have a decision to make.

"Aj seemed like she was having a good time too. I think I even saw her laughing a few times," he finally said, moving off of his current issues and worries. "Are you two back to your old friendship again or am I still going to have to wait to see how good of a team you claimed to be?" he joked, pulling his leg over his other one as they spoke.

Charlotte

"I don't know what you're on about."
Lottie dismissed immediately, settling down to curl up with her own mug on AJ's armchair. She looked down into the sweet brown liquid, keeping her hands wrapped around the mug to soak up the warmth it offered, "I don't give him a chance cause he's your roommate, AJ. How fucking awkward would it be for you if things went tits up? Not to mention, I still can't bring myself to trust him - he's hiding something, I know it. And I hope you don't say shit like that to him, I don't need him getting the wrong impression. I don't want to lead him on or make him think I want something with him."

But didn't she? After that night, Lottie found herself in a bit of tizz, not that she would ever admit it. Regardless, Lottie wasn't the kind that enjoyed playing games with those that didn't know they were playing it. Nor did she like leading anyone on. She may have commitment issues, but she wasn't a heartless bitch. She knew what it was like to be manipulated and never wanted to put anyone through that.

The last serious relationship she had was with that boy just after her father died. She had mixed with the wrong crowds, gone off the rails, and the boy - Jared - had been right there to help steer her in that direction. She hadn't realised it at first, but now she was older and more mature, she could see all the red flags. At the time, she didn't care, she thought she'd loved him. He harassed her into stealing the alcohol from her mom's cabinet, manipulated her into trying weed and then finally pressured her into sex when she knew she wasn't really ready. She had done all those things in an attempt to impress him, to try and make sure he stayed with her because all the while, she was worried he was seeing other people and he gaslighted her.

It was why Lottie shied away from anything too serious, not ever trusting herself to ever fall for someone as badly as she did then for the fear of being manipulated and hurt like she was. Even with sex, not only was it because she enjoyed it but because it felt like a way of control - that she had control over her body and what she could do and when. Never to be pressured into anything ever again.

Blinking her way back to the present, Lottie slammed the box shut on those painful memories and shoved them away again, bringing the cup to her lips to take a sip.

Her eyebrow then raised at AJ's uncertainty and wishful thinking, licking her lips free of any missed hot chocolate, "And you're telling me to stop stalling? We're both in the same boat here, AJ. You're telling me to go and try with Layke while I have this guy from Tinder. Yet you've also got two men in either hand. Jaxon in one and your new boy in the other." Lottie pointed out, secretly eager to get the focus off of her while she forced back her demons.

"If anyone has a reason to get with either of those two guys out there, it's you. Even if I do want to hang, draw and quarter him for what he did to you. Either way, if that connection is still there, don't you owe it to yourself to find out why he left and see if anything can be saved from what you had with him before? That being said, if that dickhead hurts you ever again I swear, I will hang him by his balls."

Jaxon

"To be fair, it kinda looked like she was feeling the same way. I mean, as much as she seems to hate our guts... you didn't see the way she was looking at you sometimes." Jaxon shrugged, taking a sip of his own beer and turning his gaze onto the bonfire, "I guess we're both in a load of shit right now, huh?"

Taking a small breath, he rolled the bottle of beer from one hand to the other, mulling it over in his head. "Or if someone else finds out and tells her for you. You really think either of them would forgive us if they find out the truth and we weren't the ones to tell them? It would just be a bigger wedge driven between us and them." He muttered, another swig of beer chasing down the bitterness of the idea.

"Do you think we'd even recognise them as our wolves? During the full moon, I mean. I heard some tales from the others that the other side of us recognises our mates but obviously... just never seen it." Jaxon paused to imagine it, wondering what it would be like if Sunny knew about him and what he now was. The idealistic side of him envisioned him content at his mate's side in that form, no death or destruction. Just the calming feeling of Sunny's fingers running through his fur, her scratching him behind the ears... all so far from reality. "Maybe a day will come where we could..." He trailed off, not daring to finish the sentence. He longed for there to be a day where they could tell the two girls the entire truth, but how could they? Either Sunny and Lottie just wouldn't believe them and try to send them to an asylum somewhere or would hate them for a thing they believe is made up.

Sighing, Jaxon necked the rest of his beer before throwing it into the black plastic bag brought out for the rubbish. He wiped his lips with the back of his hand and slouched deeper into his chair, "I know... I can smell that Jordan guy all over Sunny and it's driving me fucking insane. At least you could have a chance with Lottie. Me and Sunny? I've done too much fucking damage." He exhaled heavily again, sitting up and rubbing the back of his neck as he leaned forward, "And the worst thing is that I could explain it all if we could tell them and they would believe us. I don't know about you, but I can't even think about being with someone else now I know it's supposed to be Sunny."

Jaxon then shrugged, finally looking back to his friend with a small smile, "I don't know... I guess I'll have to see how she is with me tomorrow. It may have just been the alcohol, who knows. I just... I hope it doesn't go back to how it was before and this was kind of like... the ice-breaker."

2A589C95-7881-4BAF-BA05-DA631EB6AD82.gif
Aj was not at all surprised by her best friends response. She knew that she could of course deny her own complications and instead point out the ones that Sunny was trying to ignore herself. "So what if he is my roommate? If you don't work out, you don't work out. It doesn't mean it has to ruin my set up here. We are all adults. Besides, I don't really think he's hiding anything, and so what if he knew about Jaxon leaving? It wasn't his choice. He's a good guy," Aj commented. She knew that him being her roommate may be awkward at first and even if they ever broke up, but she didn't think it was a big deal. The sexual tension was almost more awkward. "But you know I'd never say anything to him," she sighed, leaning back against her headboard.

Her referral to having two boys in both of her hands instantly had AJ's head shaking in denial. "Jaxon is not in my hand. I have a new relationship, a new career, school. I don't need to reopen that box," she said, bringing her glass to her lips again. Sitting it beside her as she swallows the hot liquid, she bit her bottom lip as she thought to herself quietly. The two did have a good night catching up and chatting. She always had wondered if they would reunite and she'd forgive him and they'd be together. What type of couple they'd be— if things would be different than before or if they would fall back into the comfortable relationship they always had. But it was too painful to hope for, so she shoved it in a box to the back of her mind just like her friend did.

She shook her head again, shoulders slumped slightly as she tried to fight her own curious thoughts of 'what-if'. "No, I can't. Jaxon was good for me, then. But now, everything has changed. I've changed— even he has. What if it wasn't the same? Besides, I gave up hoping for a reason a long time ago. I have to let go of that hope that there could ever be something between us again. I'm doing good where I am, ya know? School, work, my goals. It's all coming together. I can't risk going back to that place again," she said, wishing she'd convince herself otherwise.

Lottie was right. If anything was still there, she did owe it to herself, right? It just seemed like it was too soon. Her emotions were conflicted and she didn't know what the right thing to do was. Despite how wonderful the night was catching up with him, Sunny was too scared to put herself back in such a compromised position. She wasn't sure if she'd ever be ready to trust him again. His leaving had not only hurt her, but it seemed like her entire life fell apart after that.

Her grandfather, uncle and friend passed away after, and she hit the lowest she had ever been. She became depressed and turned towards drugs as an escape. Most days it was enough, but some days it wasn't. Everyday was a battle, and the worse part was that she didn't have him to help her through it. So instead, those boxes of grief and pain all got shoved away as well when she decided to pick herself up and get her life together. Since then, she's made it through life avoiding the pain and ignoring the sorrow. Seeing him again helped unravel part of it, but she had done well to hide away from it again. She wasn't sure that she could survive opening up all of the boxes, and if she gave him another try, she wouldn't have a choice.

"I need to stay focused on myself, right now. This new guy I am seeing is good. Jaxon is a part of my past I don't think I can relive. Friendship is all I can offer him," she said finally, picking her mug back up.

D03D2372-86F2-4DB2-8CB7-6924AD12F80E.gif
Layke didn't want to get his hopes up with Lottie, mostly because he was still conflicted himself, but also because he knew that she seemed to change her mind a lot. Jaxon mentioning the way she looked at him made Layke more excited than he probably should have been, feeling like he was in middle school all over again. Girls never had this much of an affect over him, yet all he could think about was Lottie when she was near.

"Yeah, but who is going to find out and tell them? Anyone who ever knew that's not part of the pack would think we were crazy and probably turn us into an asylum before telling the girls," he shrugged. "There's just too many boundaries I'm not sure which way to go," he admitted with a groan.

As Jaxon asked about recognizing them during the full moon, Layke let himself imagine her seeing him at his weakest. Despite the many abilities and the physical strength he gained, his biggest weakness was the full moon because they couldn't fully control themselves. He hated turning, which was why he always left. He was too afraid of hurting someone. Despite the rumors and legends that had been passed from his pack, he was too terrified to risk being that close to Lottie when he was a wolf. What if he didn't recognize her and couldn't control himself? If he hurt her he wasn't sure he could forgive himself.

"I'm not sure," he shrugged. "I've heard a lot of things and we never really know if it's true," he said. Layke was distracted with his own thoughts and 'what-ifs' that his attention was only brought back by Jaxon's mention of Jordan. He had smelled the guy also, though he was sure it wasn't as strong as what Jaxon must have been smelling since she was his mate. Just the thought of another guy being with Lottie made his skin burn. His friend was handling it much better than he would have been, though after knowing her and then forcing himself away for years must have helped his emotions a bit.

"I don't know, man. You two seemed to be getting along well. I know it was probably awkward a bit, but she had that same look you did when I looked over. I think there's a lot of history, but it's not all bad. She just needs to remember that, and tonight really helped," Layke encourages his friend, leaning back into the chair a bit. "Just work with her. You did disappear on her, and I know how hard it was for you, and you knew the full story. Even if we want to tell them, we can't. It's not a good idea, especially right now. Give her some time and just.. hang in there. I think she'll come around," he said.

"Besides, if she's suppose to be with you, Jordan or no other guy will ever last," he reminded Jaxon. "I think we are both stuck with them right now, but I think it'll be alright," he said, at least hoping it would be.

Charlotte

Watching her friend cautiously, Lottie's finger quietly tapped against the mug held in hand. She had bristled and become defensive at the notion of talking about her serious interests in her love life, even with AJ. It was something she couldn't help but luckily didn't seem to need to apologise for since AJ had moved on already from that part of the conversation. It worked better that way for Lottie, who preferred to focus on the happiness of other's love lives and live vicariously through them than potentially damage herself all over again.

She didn't want to discuss Layke, or her Tinder guy. For Lottie, Layke wasn't even a viable option considering her loyalty to AJ despite what her friend was saying about not caring. As for Tinder Guy... it was only five dates. While that may be a considerable enough to other people, it was barely the start for Lottie.

"You can't deny the chemistry the two of you have, as much as I hate what the guy did to you." Lottie shrugged, speaking behind her mug as she took another view gulps of the cooling liquid. "Perhaps this is fate's way of giving you both a second chance... and I'm just here to make sure that if he does what he did again, he loses his balls for it." She smiled sweetly, feigning a picture of innocence in order to lighten the mood.

Yawning, Lottie finished the rest of the hot chocolate and left the empty mug at the desk she was sat near. She then moved to rifle through her bag for her pyjamas.

"I just feel... after watching you both together... well, you know what I think about fate and destiny and all that shit, Sunny." She straightened, pyjamas clasped in hand, "I just find it real funny that, somehow, without either of you two realising it, you've both ended up in each other's lives again." The young vet student shrugged again, smothering another yawn, "And this time I'm also here to give him a kick up the arse and a piece of my mind if he fucks it up again." She reached down for her toothbrush before heading toward the en suite, "Read into it what you will."

Jaxon

The only reason why Jaxon seemed to be holding it together better than expected when it came to smelling Jordan on Sunny was because he didn't want to scare his mate away. Things had already been tense between them as it was; barely a sentence said to the other. He wasn't about to show his possessiveness when one, Sunny wasn't his in the capacity that humans believed and two, he knew it would only serve to drive a bigger wedge between him and his mate.

It pained him to have to ignore the scent of another male over what should be his, and every time Sunny walked through the door smelling of this Jordan guy, Jaxon wanted nothing more than to claim her as his. The urge to claim her had become even more unbearable since she started seeing this other guy, and it took all of Jaxon's control and willpower to not do something he knew he would regret entirely. It hurt him each time, knowing that Sunny was happy in some other guy's arms. Knowing that she would be sharing with that guy the same smile that used to be directed at him, the same laugh he would tease out of her. Knowing that someone else would be combing their fingers through the golden curls on her head, or teasing her about how adorable she looked with her glasses on.

It drilled into him, threatening to break him. It felt like leaving her all over again, except this time she was, in a way, leaving him. Leaving him behind in the past in an attempt to make a future with someone else.

Jaxon hung his head, exhaling as the topic was, once again, serious and heavy about their mates. "I just... I don't want her to remember and then push me away twice as hard because she remembers, ya know? She's done so well without me after all these years; all I am is a memory that brings her pain. At this point, I'd just be happy to be her friend. I can't take being shut out over and over again."

He raised his gaze to look back to Layke, smiling a little, "At least you have a shot of actually being with Lottie in the way you should."

1740C790-E816-4750-98A3-4DB3372794A4.gif
The words of Lottie lingered in AJ's mind as her friend left towards the bathroom to get ready for bed. After a huff, unsure what to think still, she grabbed some clothes to change into for bed, just closing her door as she switched into the shorts and a tank top. She opened the door again so Lottie could come back in once she was finished in the bathroom, where Sunny would then go to brush her own teeth and wash her face. As much fun as she had that evening, the slight buzz from the alcohol was weighing in on her head and she was ready to get some sleep.

She didn't bother bringing up Lottie's predicament again before bed, knowing Lottie wasn't typically the one to talk about it anyway, even if Sunny was her best friend. It was just how her friend was most times, but she knew she'd come to her when she needed someone, and that was the most important part. Besides, who knew what the next day would hold for either of them. There was no reason in dwelling in the 'what-ifs' even though Aj wanted to. She would wait it out and see how things went.

————

It had been a few weeks later, and things were surprisingly much less awkward. Sunny didn't avoid the living areas so that she wouldn't see Jaxon, instead she actually talked to him if he was around. She had pushed the awkwardness aside and decided that friends was a good place for them to be. The night of the bonfire made her realize that they did have a lot of good memories, and if she could just push aside her present hurt from his leaving that they could still be friends. So that's what they did.

Things between Lottie and Layke had also cooled down. Of course the bickering and sexual tension was still flying, but Lottie seemed to be making less hurtful jabs and more teasing ones. Aj hadn't mentioned anything to her friend about her intentions since the night that they had last talked, finding it best to let them hash it out in their own form of friendship.

Everything seemed to be going well. They had all hung out a few times since the bonfire, the boys joining the girls with movies in the living room or drinks out in the town. It was a much better friendship than how it had started out, even if things were awkward at times they seemed to push through it. Aj had to admit that it was nice having Jaxon as a friend again. They caught up with some things, Aj not wanting to touch too much in their history, so aside from a few references, Aj and Jaxon mostly focused on more the present, and it helped Aj avoid memories from their past.

Aj and Jordan had also progressed in their relationship as well. With being able to finally push aside the awkwardness with Jaxon and begin forming a friendship, she was able to remember what she wanted with her future, rather than memories of her past. Sunny had finally met Jordan's family and spent the night at his apartment a couple times even. Aj hadn't even thought about the awkwardness it might have had with Jaxon being her roommate, but assumed that it would be fine. Jordan had been over a few times around Jaxon and things were a little weird, but if she was going to continue living with him and dating Jordan, it would have to get past the awkward stage. At least that is what Aj told herself.

She had spent the day with them out on the river kayaking, knowing it was likely their last trip before it got too cold for the season. By the time she got home that afternoon she was starving and likely pink from the sun. It had been a fairly fun day, though Sunny hadn't missed that Layke and Lottie had pretty much been chatting on their own, flirting yet again. She was kind of rooting for them. Layke was a good guy and as protective as Aj was with her friends, she thought he'd be good for Lottie. If he wasn't, she knew she wouldn't hesitate to make him suffer either.

Walking through the front door, her towel loosely hanging over her arm as she carried it and her other clothes inside, she took her flip flops off before stepping on the carpet and making her way towards the living room. She was still in her swimsuit, the river only being a short drive from where they lived, and was ready to get changed and into looser clothes with the river water washed off of her. "I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to shower and get out of this," she said, referring to her bikini. Her towel now was against her stomach, arms wrapped around her as she looked between the others.

Jordan stood beside her and the other two stood across from them as Aj waited for a response. "Yeah, well we have two bathrooms. Lottie can use the one down in my room so you guys can use that one. Get in an out quicker than just using the one," Layke suggested, looking between them.

It didn't take much convincing, as Aj was ready to be changed, so she agreed and made her way towards her bedroom to find some new clothes to change into, Jordan trialing behind her. After finding a comfortable outfit, Sunny walked towards the bathroom where she got in the shower, Jordan changing as she started the water. While she took a quick shower to wash through her hair, Jordan had changed into his own comfortable outfit and in the living room with Layke. It didn't take but a few minutes for her to wash her hair and wash up, so she was changed into her tee shirt and a pair of shorts when she joined them.

• • • • •

610D8030-62E5-42F8-A9B9-12AB5FD4B30C.gif
After that evening, Layke was pretty hopeful about his and Jaxon's future with the girls. Though a lot still was balancing between them, and Jaxon had a good point between him and Aj, Layke had a feeling that things would be much better now that the ice had been broken.

For the most part, he was right.

The next few weeks seemed to really change all of their relationships. At first it was still a bit awkward, but it seemed like things were progressing almost everyday. Aj wasn't avoiding Jaxon, and he seemed to not be as afraid to talk to her either. They were catching up, laughing, and the four of them were actually hanging out like they had with the bonfire. The more Sunny seemed to enjoy Jaxon's time, the more Lottie seemed to enjoy time with Layke. Perhaps just because the two girls were joined at the hip so she was always there, but he figured it had a lot to do with how protective over Sunny her friend was. She had said that if it wasn't for her and Jaxon's history she might have given Layke a chance. Maybe Jaxon reviving himself was giving Layke the opening he needed.

The bickering didn't go away, of course, but Layke didn't think that would ever fully disappear. Layke and Lottie were so alike, yet so different at the same time that it made for interesting tension. His worries about the wolf part of him cooled down the more time he spent with Lottie, which each week seemed to increase. He had begun smelling the other man on Lottie occasionally, but he managed to keep himself under control, mostly because of the amount of time he could smell himself on her after spending time together. Jaxon, on the other hand, he wasn't sure was quite so lucky. Not only had Aj smelled like Jordan before, but now that she had become friends with Jaxon, felt comfortable being her new boyfriend to the house. He hadn't stayed over yet, but it seemed like each week he joined them for something. Layke felt sorry for his friend, but he wasn't sure how to help. It was a tough situation seeing as how Jaxon didn't want to compromise the new friendship he had built with Sunny.

That particular day, Jordan was joining them out kayaking on the lake. Layke hadn't really paid too much attention to him though, mostly focused on Lottie. The two of them hadn't hung out aside from when Aj was around, but it seemed like even when others were there they stayed focused on each other. He found it almost humorous that she was studying veterinary medicine and Aj was studying human medicine while him and Jaxon happened to be a mix. Almost like fate was playing some joke on them.

Despite that, things between them was still progressing. The less they bickered, the more they flirted. Most of the time Layke didn't even notice it, as it was almost an instinct with her. He was a little nervous that she would end up inviting her new fling, but was relieved when Aj didn't list him as one of the people joining them on the end of summer trip. He wasn't sure he would have ended up going, not sure he would have been able to contain himself with Lottie half naked in her swimsuit and then another guy all over her.

Once they got home and they were splitting the two bathrooms for showering, he suggested sharing the one that connected to his bedroom. After Aj hopped off to the one on the other side of the house, he glanced towards Lottie, now feeling a bit awkward having her in his room and his shower after the intense flirting they had been back and forth on all day.

Leading Lottie down the hall, past the kitchen and into his room, he opened the door and tossed his wet shirt in a hamper. His room was what a males average room likely looked at. He wasn't a person who matched a lot of stuff, and since it was usually only him or a few girls he had over occasionally, he didn't care about keeping it tidy. On the other hand, it wasn't messy either. Aside from a few bottles of water on his nightstand, an unmade bed and a handful of tee shirts around his hamper that he had missed, it was pretty clean.

Walking around his bed and opening his bathroom door, he let Lottie in before him. "Um, I've got some less manly smelling stuff down in this cabinet and towels are here," he said, awkwardly, pointing out everything she'd need for a shower. Since his bathroom was only a stand up shower with glass doors, he hadn't ever gotten a curtain for it, and figured that despite their constant flirting, she'd want some privacy. "Uh, anyway. Holler if you need anything else," he said, running his hand up through his hair before turning to leave.

He made his way back to the living room where Jordan was and sat down across from him, figuring to distract his mind from his mate naked in his bedroom, he'd chat with him. After Aj left the bathroom, he decided to jump in that bathroom after her since all he needed to do was let the water wash the river water off of him and it would only take a few minutes, then Jordan said he'd shower.

It only took Layke five minutes before he was washed off, but realized he had left his clean shorts in his bedroom. Wrapping his waist in the towel he used, he just moved back to his bedroom to get dressed. Walking in and shutting the door behind him, he avoiding looking towards the bathroom door. Even if it was closed, knowing that Lottie was just on the other side was making it very hard for him to not just do the exact thing he had been wanting since meeting her.
Instead, he moved towards his dressed and pulled out a pair of shorts just as he heard the water turning off in his shower.

Jaxon

Jaxon was aware that everyone was back from the lake trip as he closed the door on his car. The lights were on, the cars were once more parked on the street and, unfortunately, he was all too aware of Jordan's scent lingering in the area. Exhaling heavily through his nose in a huff, he pushed himself away from the door of his vehicle to walk up to the house.

When he entered, he could hear the showers running, meaning that there was no chance he would be getting in there any time soon. The group must have just gotten home too, considering they were all still washing off.

Dumping his things in his room, Jaxon fetched himself a beer from the fridge before moving into the lounge, bracing himself to see Sunny and Jordan. However, when all he saw was Sunny, he felt his body relax immediately.

"Hey," he smiled, moving to sit in one of the armchairs that they head, "Where is everyone?" He asked next, glancing toward the archway that lead into the lounge before looking back to his mate. His smile melted into a grin as he took in the slight flush to her face, obviously from the sun, and the warm pinkness of her skin, "Did you have a good day? Sorry I missed it - one of the guys at the garage had to take his kid to the doctors and they asked me to cover. I'll hop in the shower after whoever's in there is done and you can tell me all about it."

He took a swig of his beer, eyes lingering fondly on her, "You've definitely caught the sun today." He commented lightly, eager to make conversation with her after a full day of going without the sound of her voice.

Charlotte

Lottie hadn't exactly expected Layke to offer his shower to her. Perhaps to Jordan because they were two guys, but hardly thought she would be the one following him down the hallway to his room, bag in hand. She had also stayed in her swimsuit, a stormy grey two piece, not seeing the point - like Sunny - in changing into something when they weren't that far from the house.

She found her heartbeat picking up ever so slightly as they neared his room, and she wondered why. They had flirted for sure, not that Lottie would ever admit it, for the majority of the day. She did feel slightly guilty, thinking back to Tinder Guy - Sam. But at the end of the day, it wasn't as if they were anything serious. They hadn't had that conversation and as far as Lottie was aware, they were only talking and going out on a few dates. That didn't, in her eyes, mean they were dating dating.

As she took in his room, it was... really as she expected it. It was clean, by boy's standards, yet it still had that hint of a promise that it could turn messy if his mind was otherwise occupied. Placing her clothes on his desk, but picking up her towel, Lottie followed him into the bathroom.

Her eyebrow raised at his comment regarding 'less masculine' scents and while a smirk pulled at her mouth as she glanced at him over her shoulder, Lottie felt a stab of jealousy. Why did he have these 'less manly smells' in his cabinet? Would that be for his previous conquests and the girls he probably had taken to bed?

"Will do." She murmured, head tilting with the smirk still playing along her lips at his nervous habits.

After he had gone, Lottie searched his cabinet but didn't really find anything she liked as much as the scent that was already on the shower shelf. Hoping in, she was quick to wash her hair and scrub her body clean of the river water, feeling all the more cleaner and fresher afterwards. Shutting off the water, she stepped out and grabbed her towel, drying her hair as best as she could before wrapping it around herself. Picking her bikini up from the floor, she threw a look over her shoulder to ensure she had everything before leaving his bathroom.

As she looked up, she stilled a few steps from the door, eyes locked onto his naked back. Her gaze then finally moved, taking in the numerous scars that littered his skin and the tattoos that she could see. Almost instantly Lottie felt the urge to trace her fingertips over every mark and outline but instead she tightened her grip on her towel.

"If I knew you were coming back in I would have taken my clothes into the bathroom with me." She finally spoke, quickly moving to the desk where said clothes were, "I didn't think you'd shower in the other bathroom. I... uh... also didn't hear you come in." She dropped her bikini into a plastic bag, clasping the top of her towel closed with her upper arm as she shoved the plastic bag into her overnight one.

Despite her best intentions, Lottie glanced over her shoulder to him again, drinking in the sight of him freshly showered and in nothing but a towel.

2F2ADFA9-8837-427E-811F-750E89EC299B.gif
Once Aj has finished with her shower, she joined Jordan and Layke in the living room. Sitting in the middle of the couch, she pulled a foot under her and watched Layke head to the bathroom. It was just her and Jordan chatting quietly until Layke finished his shower. Saying he was heading to shower himself, Sunny showed Jordan where the towels and soaps were before moving back into the living room to wait for him. She chose the same seat, moving back to her comfortable position and scrolled through her phone when she heard the door open.

She had missed Jaxon that day. As strange as it would have been to think just a few weeks prior, she had been bummed out when Layke said he couldn't go that day. It was always a blast when they all got to hang out, especially recently. She knew he would have enjoyed their time at the river, especially since it was the last trip before fall really kicked in. Sunny didn't say anything as Jaxon went to the kitchen and then made his way back, but smiled up at him as he greeted her.

"Hey," she replied as he took a seat in the chair beside her. "Um, Lottie is showering in Layke's room," she said, her eyebrows raising as she gave him a look, chuckling a little. Shaking her head a bit, she continued. "Layke just finished his shower and now Jordan is in there," she replied, running her hand through her thick curls, still damp from her own wash. "No worries, I get it," she replied to his apology. "It was a blast, you would have really enjoyed it. Too bad it had to be the last trip that you missed. Next week we are suppose to get that cold front and I think that will be the end of summer," she said, fiddling with the string of her shorts.

Aj watched Jaxon take a drink of his beer before looking over her arms, pink compared to her normally fair colored skin. She chuckled with him softly and shook her head. "Yeah, I may have forgotten to reapply my sunscreen. You know how much I need that stuff," she chuckled, pulling her legs back under her as she readjusted. "I guess it's not the worst thing that could have happened. I'm sure I'll be feeling it in the morning," she mumbled, her hand running over her legs, poking at the redness. It was always worse in the morning.

"Oh you would have been so proud of me though! I only flipped the kayak once," she laughed, recalling how awful she use to be when she first started going out. The first time they went together she was flipping ever five minutes, never able to balance herself. "But I blame that on Layke. He started to tip and reach out for me so of course I went too," she laughed. It was just a moment later when she heard Jordan walking into the living room. She turned to look at him, but his eyebrows were furrowed in annoyance. Aj wasn't quite sure what was wrong, but before she got a chance to ask he was already talking.

"Why are you sitting beside him like that?" he asked, wedging himself between where Aj sat on the couch and Jaxon on the chair. She wasn't really quite sure what to say, Jordan never really acting quite like this before. Sure, sometimes he got snippy, but never did he act like this. "I'm sorry I don't know what you're talking about," Sunny laughed awkwardly, moving so that he wasn't sitting halfway over her. She turned so that her back was facing the armrest and she could see Jordan beside her, and Jaxon sitting beside him.

"We were just talking about the float," Aj said, moving past Jordan's tantrum. She hated confrontation, so if she could just move past the awkwardness and forget it, she would. However, it didn't seem like Jordan was willing to let that happen. "Just the float, really? Because it seemed like a little more than that," he urged, looking over towards Jaxon before he turned back towards Aj. "You expect me to think you were just laughing that much about the dumb float? Do you think I'm stupid?" he asked.

For whatever reason Jordan had decided to be pissed about, Aj wasn't enjoying the argument. It was almost embarrassing that he was acting this way in front of Jaxon for no reason. She knew that when she told Jordan her and Jaxon use to date that he might have been a little jealous at first, but she didn't expect him to be after a while of dating now, especially over something like this. He had just sat down with Sunny, it wasn't like they were doing anything except innocent conversation.

"Will you stop acting this way? Jaxon just sat down," she said, her eyebrows furrowed as she felt her heart beating quickly with nerves. "Just sat down, right. What aren't you telling me, them?" he asked, his hand moving to her thigh. She shook her head and pushed his hand off of her, ready to stand up and move the conversation to her bedroom, already embarrassed as was, but his hand moved right back to where she pushed him away from. "No, if he was just sitting here then we can just sit here too," Jordan said, his eyebrows furrowed back at Sunny's as he argued.

"I'm sorry," she said again, not sure what else to say. Jordan wasn't one to act like this, and she didn't know how to handle it. Since dating Jaxon, she had been very cautious about who she dated, always too afraid of them acting the way he had during the last few months they were together. Typically that was what held her back from dating other people, and now she was beginning to wonder if she should have called it quits earlier with Jordan with how he was acting now. Aj looked at Jaxon, but before she opened her mouth to talk, Jorden spoke up again.

"Seriously, you're looking back at him again? I mean what the hell? Are you fucking him again? Should I just leave you two to have it out on the couch or what?" he said, ripping his hand off of Aj and beginning to get angry again.

• • • • •

47138E40-D8B2-4C56-AC12-FF0150D94C23.gif
Layke had managed to pull his shorts on before the bathroom door fully opened, though he was tightening them in the front when he heard her voice. A small smirk played his lips and he chuckled slightly. "Sorry, I forgot my clothes in here," he said pulling his towel up to dry his shaggy hair as he turned back towards her. Standing in her towel nearly made his whole body freeze. It took all he had in him to look down so he could dry his hair.

"Well, it was open and I didn't hear an invite from you, ," he teased, holding his towel back in his hand as he dried the water from his shoulders and neck. He was now only in his basketball shorts, not yet digging for a shirt, and from the way she kept glancing towards him, he wasn't sure she wanted him to find one. His eyes peeled over her, unable to keep himself from running down her body and back up. He was at a stand still, not exactly wanted to leave, and surprisingly feeling like she didn't want him to either, but wasn't sure she appreciated him just standing there while she was in her towel.

"Should I have waited for an invite?" he asked, raising an eyebrow as he watched her closely.

Jaxon

The sudden aggression from Jordan didn't sit well with Jaxon. His fingers tightened around the bottle of his beer as the other guy started his tantrum, muscles tensing underneath his shirt, hidden from view. He remained quiet for a moment, not wanting to make anything even worse for Sunny. Clearly this guy had some issues, and he wasn't sure how much Sunny had told him about their past. But clearly she had told him enough.

However, as things continued, Jaxon was finding it harder and harder to bite his tongue. The sight of Jordan putting his hand on Sunny's leg only added to the boiling pot of anger he had simmering away under an expression of surprise and concern. The simple act screamed to Jaxon that Jordan was claiming something that didn't even belong to him. The fact that Sunny pushed his hand from her thigh relaxed Jaxon somewhat, but a red mist descended as the guy stubbornly placed it there again.

Jaxon took a sip from his beer bottle, inwardly debating what would be best to do. He could feel his control starting to slip, and it took all his will power to ensure his canines didn't length and his claws didn't grow. He couldn't afford to scare Sunny again with his anger, that he was all too painfully aware of. Yet, the way this guy was acting, this person who was supposed to be her boyfriend; to love and cherish her...

Well he was just being a right prick.

"Dude, seriously," Jaxon sharply interrupted, taking his eyes away from Sunny, who he could clearly see was in discomfort. He knew her. Confrontation was not something she enjoyed.

He watched Jordan carefully as the other guy turned to face him, glaring furiously, "Don't 'dude' me, alright. This is between me and Sunny."

"Well I mean, you're accusing us sleeping together, so you're kinda involving me too."
Jaxon pointed out, keeping himself as calm as possible as he took another swig from his beer.

This only seemed to anger Jordan who turned to face him properly, "Did I fucking ask you? Stay out of it, sell-out."

Jaxon paused, "What did you just call me?"

Jordan smirked, pushing himself to his feet which was immediately mirrored by Jaxon, "I called you a fucking sell-out. Cause that's what you are, to her anyway," he looked Jaxon up and down, "Although I can't see what good it did you. Seems like you left for nothing. Not that it matters, because Sunny's with me now. You fucked up, and you missed out."

The young werewolf stared at Sunny's boyfriend, hands tightening into fists as he worked so hard on not following through on his desires to deck the guy there and then.

"You can shut the fuck up, right now, or you can get the hell out of this house." Jaxon responded, voice deathly calm as he watched Jordan size him up with a laugh, "I don't have to go anywhere. This is Sunny's house just as much as yours and I'm her guest, not yours. There's nothing you can do about it."

Detesting the questioning of his strength and dominance, Jaxon took a step forward, a muscle in his jaw jumping, "You want to bet?"

Charlotte

Lottie knew she couldn't deny the desire she felt pooling in the depths of her stomach as she watched him dry his upper half, mildly disappointed that she had been too late to see his ass - she would convince herself it was because she wanted to know if he had any tattoos hidden there too.

There was a pull, magnetic and electrifying, that drew her to him even more so now that they were alone. They were never really alone, not on this scale. Certainly not in the bare minimum amount of clothing that they had on. Yet here they were, and it didn't seem like they were about to be disturbed just yet. The thought caused goosebumps to break out over Lottie's skin and she cleared her throat, quickly breaking eye contact and focusing back fishing her underwear out from the pile of clothes she had left on his desk.

Lottie couldn't remember the last time she felt so captivated by someone, and she was beginning to wonder if she should do what Sunny kept pestering her to do and just... try with Layke. To give in to everything she felt. It wasn't just the physical attraction she had to him, but he made her laugh, he kept her interested not just through their bickering but when they actually talked about things. She wanted to know more about him and feel his arms around her.

Turning back around, she met his gaze with an ease she certainly didn't feel, her nerves building along with the smothering tension. "It's your room, isn't it?" She questioned innocently before adding with a small, mischievous smirk, "You can do whatever you like..."

There was the wonder if the double meaning would be lost on him, however Lottie was eager to play this little game, curious to see what came out of it. She slowly approached him, eyes never leaving his, and eventually she stopped with barely inches between them, "You don't need my permission to do what you want in your room. If anything, it's me who needs the invite." She continued, holding his gaze for a moment longer before allowing it to dip down onto the scars and tattoos that were on display on his chest. Her hand rose after tucking her towel into a secure tie, fingertips pausing a breath away from the tattoo on his chest. Lottie then looked back up at him, eyebrow raising as if seeking that permission she spoke about.

0CBDEB96-30A4-4034-B233-348B337280E2.gif
Put in the awkward situation, Sunny wasn't sure what to do. When Jaxon spoke up, she instantly felt her stomach drop, knowing he wasn't going to make the conversation any better. Before she was able to interrupt their conversation of arguing, she inhaled briefly as she heard Jordan's words. She froze, her heart stopping for a moment as she realized what Jordan had said. Looking towards Jaxon as she heard his words, she exhaled and then looked as Jordan stood.

Jumping up with the two, she couldn't believe she was hearing the words coming from Jordan. She could see Jaxon getting angrier by the second, and watching his hands tighten into fists brought back dreadful memories from her past when he got angry and would throw things or hit the walls. While he was never abusive towards her physically, she had always been terrified that if he hadn't left he would have been. The friendship she had developed since reuniting with him wasn't the guy in front of her now. This guy was like the one from her past, or at least she was afraid he'd turn into him if Jordan didn't stop threatening him.

"Jordan, what is wrong with you?" Sunny asked, pulling back on his arm. When he turned to look at her, he seemed even more angry that she was defending Jaxon. "What? It's the truth. You pretty much said it yourself. Hell, even he knows if, that's why he's always looking at you like that," he said, pulling his arm back out of AJ's grip. "Why? That's he think he's going to do?" Jordan argued, turning back towards Jaxon. She saw his hands reaching up, and Aj immediately knew he was getting ready to start a fight.

Before thinking twice, Sunny moved between the two, her back brushing against Jaxon and she faced Jordan. "What the hell is wrong with you?" she said, staring up at the male. Though the two were about the same build as each other, Aj still still quite a bit shorter then them both. Although her between them probably couldn't stop much, she had a little faith that one of them wouldn't risk hitting her, even if they both were acting like jerks.

Despite the growing friendship between Sunny and Jaxon, she hadn't stood this close to him. She could feel his breathing behind her, and her body was barely brushing against his front. If she were to learn just a couple inches backward, the blonde would surely be leaning into him. At this realization as everything fell silent, Aj felt her nerves rising. "What's wrong with me is that I don't like him," Jordan said, his voicing yelling towards her as he looked towards Jaxon. "Well, I don't know what to tell you. We both live here," she said, her hands falling to her side.

Jordan rolled his eyes, his head shaking at her not defending him, though Aj didn't understand why she would. He was acting crazy and all that had been happening was them talking. His words towards Jaxon were embarrassing to her since she hadn't really ever told him how she felt about him leaving. Though he could assume most feelings, she had finally started forming a friendship and now she was had just been reminded of who he was when he left and why she hated him for so long after disappearing.

Sunny was exhausted from the long day in the sun, and now to deal with Jordan acting like this, she was over it. "Please just go," she said, shaking her head, moving towards Jordan, hoping to usher him towards the door. "I'm not fucking going anywhere," he said, not budging from his spot in front of them. "I don't want you here. I want you to leave," she said, beginning to get angry herself. Aj was tired of no one ever listening to her and always getting stepped on. She didn't want to be reminded of the memories she had with Jaxon and she definitely didn't need any new ones to make those seem weak.

Reluctantly, only after Aj snapped and pushed him away from her did Jordan finally start huffing towards the door. He didn't say anything else, only slamming the door on his way out after Aj demanded that he leave.

• • • • •
7AB73586-2622-45AC-933B-494A751C148F.gif

Layke could feel his breath already heavy as he licked his bottom lip anxiously, watching as she tried to play innocence. Every move she made was engulfing. His eyes following her and a small smirk appeared on his lips at her comment, wondering how literal he could take her phrasing. Shaking his head with a chuckle, he looked back up to see her moving towards him.

His heart was pounding, taking everything he had not to reach out and pull her in against him. The closer she got, the more tempted he was to feel her clean body pressed against his. To listened to her moans of pleasure, to feel her body tightening and relaxing each time he kissed up the skin of her body. She was making it nearly impossible for him to keep his hands to himself, but the mischievous look in her eyes warned him that she wanted his hands on her body.

As her body finally stopped mere inches from his own, he looked down, eyes falling into her gaze and then watching as they then traced over his chest. Everyone always asked about his scars, and he never had an answer for them. Usually it was some excuse, saying he was a troubled kid or he was a boxer, but the truth was the same thing holding him back from telling Lottie that she was his mate. Neither would satisfy her curiosity though.

When her hand reach out to touch him, he saw her pause and his eyes found hers again, no longer distracted by the curves of her skin or the way she smelled against him. Her eyes seemed to make everything else melt away. When her eyes asked for permission to touch him, he reach up for her hand, letting it slowly reach his skin, hot with fuel and lust. Almost as quickly as that small amount of space was filled with her hand, his lips were down against hers.

It wasn't just an average kiss. Not one of the ones where he was soft and gentle and trying to get her to like him. No, this one was passion. It was every tease that they had ever shared finally getting a chance to ease. All of the sexual tension built between them exploded as he felt her soft lips against his, his hand still holding hers against his chest and the other one gripping the towel at her waist. There was no going back now. Feeling the curves of her body fitting so in sync with his had this fire he hadn't ever felt before. His entire body was excited and lit up as he cherished every bit of this moment.

Soon his hand was letting go of hers and it clasped onto her leg, pulling her body up against his and pulling her towards the bed, his breath heavy against her lips as he pulled back to breath a moment. His lips didn't move far from her skin though, moving down to her neck as his arms picked her up so that she was fully pressed against his body. Soon his hands were tugging at the towel, growling with it in his way of her body. Now that he had her, he wasn't sure he'd ever be able to let her go.

Jaxon

As Sunny's back brushed against Jaxon's chest, the young werewolf felt some of his anger dissipate. Immediately he wanted nothing more than to wrap his mate up in his arms and simply hold her; to keep holding her until everything felt alright again. He could smell the damp scent of her shampoo on her hair and, only because of his intense sense of smell, the remains of the river water on her skin. To him, it smelt like summer. It smelt like their summer.

And Jordan fucking ruined it by making his own summer memories with his mate in their summer spot.

"Don't fucking yell at her. This isn't her problem-- it's yours." Jaxon snapped in defence of Sunny, only staying in place because of his small mate being between them. He hated the sight of this prick Jordan standing over her, looming over her with his fists ready to fly. Jaxon knew that the moment this jackass laid a finger on his mate there would be hell to pay.

A warning growl slipped out before Jaxon could stop it as the guy refused to leave, more than prepared to show him to the curb himself before Sunny really put her foot down. While he was still furious at the way she was being treated, he couldn't help but feel a burst of pride toward his mate; pleased to see her sticking up for herself and bringing out the steely spine he knew she always had deep down.

He didn't dare move once the door slammed shut behind Jordan, fingers flexing out from the fists they had made. He didn't even dare release a long exhale for the fear of disturbing whatever thought process Sunny may be having in that moment. Eventually, Jaxon forced himself to move, taking a step to the side so he could try and see Sunny's face.

"Sunny..." He began before trailing off, not really sure what he wanted to ask first. Finally he cleared his throat, eyes running nervously over his mate, "Are you okay? I'm sorry--"

Charlotte

She barely had time to register his smooth skin against her soft hand as his lips came crashing down onto hers. A gasp escaped her at the heat and fire that was poured into the kiss alone, the fingers pressed against chest squeezing there as her other hand moved over his shoulder to pull him closer to her.

The weeks and months of their verbal sparring and flirtatious teasing seemed to be building up to the explosion of sexual tension. Her body felt pleasurable shocks each time bare skin grazed against the other, her skin hot and flushed with only a few kisses against her lips and throat. It felt so perfect, so natural, to have him fitting against her. If Lottie were to allow herself to get ahead of herself, she would have even believed that it seemed like they were made for one another. She slotted perfectly against him and she simply couldn't get enough of him.

Lottie was eager to follow his movements, allowing him to do what he wanted and had no complaints as he brought her leg up to his hip to hold her there. Her nails gently dragged down his chest, digging slightly deeper as his lips found her throat, but still light enough to not cause him any pain. Her head tilted back and to the side, silently becoming submissive and offering him more of her neck to lavish attention. Her legs, as he picked her up, automatically wrapped around his waist.

A tingling heat, a pressure, began to build within the depths of her stomach as she tangled her fingers into his hair, becoming even more turned on by the growl that escaped him as he pawed at her towel. She firmly pulled at his hair so his lips would leave her neck, only to quickly occupy them again with her own. She skilfully moved her lips against his, hand and arm once more slipping over the back of his shoulder to gently run her nails up his back; the other hand gripping his hair to become even tighter against him.

She simply couldn't get enough of him, and Lottie knew she had to have him. Whatever happened after that, happened. He could stop talking to her, he could stop flirting with her and while that thought hurt her for reasons she didn't dare look into, Lottie knew she couldn't walk away from this now.

Her lips dropped to the side of his neck, this time providing her own attention through kisses and gentle nips as she worked from the crook of his neck up to his ear, "--Right now. Make me yours, Layke. Make me yours." She murmured into his ear, breathing ragged and heavy as she tried to control her own hunger and lust.

FD08ECDC-7E21-4887-A264-33C2885C7DBF.gif
Aj wasn't sure whether it was Jordan being an ass or Jaxon trying to defend her, or being cranky with her hunger and sunburn, or maybe a combination of all of them, but she was getting more aggravated by the minute. When the door finally slammed shut, AJ's arms released from the folded stance she had managed to wrap herself into without realizing. They fell to her side and she didn't move for a moment, forgetting that Jaxon was still standing so closely behind her until he moved, softly brushing against her.

Stepping away, she was ready to head back to her room. She wasn't in the mood to talk or try to explain Jordan when she was so upset with him, and frankly, she didn't want to. Eventually, Aj had learned to stop making excuses for people. For years she gave reason after reason why Jaxon could have left, and eventually the excuses fell through. She realized that sometimes people do things because they're shitty people or because they had a shitty day, but she stopped finding excuses for their actions. It wasn't her place to correct their wrongs like she had tried for so many years.

Once she heard his voice say her name softly, she turned to leave, but then he apologized. Of all the things for him to apologize for, it was something that he didn't do? "What?" she asked, her head turning back towards him. She saw him watching her, and she had heard what he said. She just needed clarification that he was in fact apologizing. Perhaps it was the recent events and tension, or maybe it was this built up anger and hurt that she had shoved away for years since he disappeared. Either way, she couldn't help her eyebrows furrowing and her lips piercing as she stared at him. Her eyes ran over his body, once again comparing him to the same boy who had left her when they were seventeen.

"Why are you apologizing? He fucked up. He acted like an idiot and was an ass. If you want to apologize, try starting with leaving three years ago without an explanation," she blurted out, her voice angry. She had pushed aside her aggravation and hurt towards him, hopeful to form a new friendship without their history. She was kidding herself in thinking that things could have actually been normal between them, even after everything.

"I am so fucking stupid," she mumbled, her eyes rolling as she turned to walk away. She didn't need another reason for things to be more awkward in the house. Even if she had managed to push most of her feelings away and ignore them while she was around Jaxon, everyone knew that there were these unresolved emotions they both shared. She didn't need to fully open that box. On the other hand...

Before she thought twice, her body had turned back around and she could feel the part of her that acted almost like Lottie come out. Her annoyance, aggravation, snappiness. She was fed up with always putting her feelings to the side for the sake of other people. She searched for him for years, why shouldn't he know that? Why couldn't she make him feel half of the pain she felt when he left?

"I looked for you for months, Jaxon. For years I didn't stop searching," she said, her finger pointed towards him. She finally let her hand fall back to her side, but it was just as quickly to move against her forehead as she let out a sad laugh. "I didn't know where you were. If you were okay. How was I suppose to know that you just got tired of that life and decided to build a new one?" she asked, looking around the house. He had finished school, met new friends, likely new girls. He had made new memories and left her behind without a second thought.

"After how long of being your friend? After how many years of loving you?" she asked, shaking her head. "And all I got from you was nothing. No letter to say you were safe. To tell me that you were alive," she said, her voice raising as she felt more pain that she had avoided. "I searched for you and looked and I didn't stop until finally I realized that you didn't want to be found," she mumbled.

She began to turn away again, feeling that her spill may have been over, but yet her feet were bringing her right back towards him. "What did I do? You went from being this sweet, caring and thoughtful guy. I was in love with you," she said, her lip trembling. "And then you became this— this guy I didn't recognize. You weren't the same person and then just like that you weren't anyone anymore. You dropped off the earth. Your parents, your friends, me. No one knew where you went," she said.

Her emotions were rampaging right now. One moment she felt anger and betrayal, but the next she was hurt and sad. "That year sucked. You know I never told you about it because for some reason I didn't want to hurt your feelings," she mumbled, her eyes rolling as her hand brushed the hair out of her face. "It was suppose to be this great year. Remember talking about it? About how that year we were going to have so much fun. We'd finish school, we'd find a college and a little town and we'd get out together? I didn't have that. My grandpa died, my uncle died, Wade died, you left," she said defensively. Wade was one of the friends they had grew up with, he was a part of their group. His death, caused by a car accident, happened the winter after Jaxon left. "And I had no one. I needed you and you left," Sunny said.

"And you know what I did? Instead of being mad at you and hating you? I loved you still," she said, her voice softer as her boiling skin calmed again. "I found excuse after excuse that you could have left. I made up these reasons why you couldn't be there. Instead of being angry that I was alone and didn't know where you were or why I wasn't good enough anymore, I was sad," she said, her voice quivering as she spoke. "I was scared that something happened to you. I gave up all hope that I would ever see you again."

"Then I walked through that door and you were here. Living this happy life with new friends and a career and a house. And the thing— the thing that sucks the most is that I was happy for you," she said, her eyes swelling. "Because you were happy. Because you got this new beginning and this new life and I guess I never realized that all of those months I spent searching for you, you had already forgotten," she said softly.

Her eyes had swollen, a few tears already rolling down her cheeks without realizing. She was an angry crier, but she wasn't sure if was out of anger or sadness that she was wiping away the tears on her cheeks. "I thought that I could forget about all of that. Push it all away in the back of my mind just like I did everything else. I thought that we could be friends and this could work," she said, shaking her head as she exhaled. "I thought that I would be okay with all of this, but I'm not," Sunny said, her hands wiping her cheeks, annoyed with herself for letting him see her so hurt and vulnerable.

• • • • •
650EA831-4CD3-43AF-B7A0-2D80FE5074BB.gif
Layke wasn't quite sure what he was expecting with Lottie. They had had this constant back and forth for months now, and he hadn't ever wanted anyone more than he wanted her— more than he needed her. Each time her nails ran over his skin, he felt this electric pulsating through his body, needing to feel her closer to him. No amount of skin on his skin was enough for him.

The longer his lips explored her neck and shoulder and chest, the more he could hear her heart beating picking up. To know the affect he had on her had him more turned on. Knowing that she wanted him as much as he wanted her made every teasing and bickering and flirting they had forced each other through worth it for this.

As she pulled him back against her lips, his hand untied the towel around her and it fell to the floor as the heat of her body pressed against his chest, each inch of her skin touching his. Her lips moving to his neck let out a rumble through his body as he breathed heavily against her, extending his neck as his own hand held her hair. Her words sent a shiver through his body, and he didn't need anything else. Whether or was him or his wolf that needed that permission, hearing her shallow breath tell him what she wanted made him rip the last of his clothing off and toss her against the bed.

His body was back against hers as quickly as it had left, his lips slowly making their way down each inch of soft skin that she had, devouring the taste of his mate. His teeth grazed on the soft spots where she moaned. Typically when he was with a girl he didn't have a hard time controlling himself. With Lottie, his skin beneath him was nearly enough to make him explode.

Assuming by how she reacted to each touch and movement he made, she felt the same way. Soon he did exactly what she had asked him to. He had made her his in every humanly way possible, knowing that in that aspect, he also had marked her as his mate. She was finally his.

—————

Layke's body crashing against Lottie's had his breath ragged. As he fell onto the bed beside her, he let out a heavy breath before pulling Lottie over to him, his arms wrapping around her. Now that he had her, he didn't want to let her go. The feeling of her hot skin against his, the way they fit so well together. He hadn't imagined anything being so amazing. His hand reach up to push the hair out of her face, eyes hovering over her features as he drank her in, enjoying just the sound of their unsteady breathing.

Jaxon

Jaxon stared, dumbfounded, as Sunny began to launch into her tirade. Each word spoken reopened wounds he thought had long sewn shut, each confession cut deep into his heart and soul, and the worst part was that he couldn't even explain himself. If there was any possibility of him explaining the truth to her, and her believing him, Jaxon knew he would be on his knees and begging for her forgiveness in an instant.

He truly had no idea how long she had searched for him, or that she even did. To him, the thought was that he was better out of everyone's lives. No one would miss him after his violent change in behaviour, and that it was all for the better. Everyone would be safer... happier... but with Sunny standing here before him, ripping into him just as he deserved to be, he was beginning to wonder if he made the right decision.

For her to bring up the memories of their excitement, of talking about going to college together and to even potentially skip the student housing to live together just threatened to weaken all the resolve he had. And then to hear about all the loss she faced, the actual loss of family and then Wade... who Jaxon didn't even realise had passed. Fuck he wished he had just been there for her like he was supposed to have been. He should have been there, right along with her, holding her hand and being the shoulder she cried into every night she needed to.

"Sunny..." He began, voice pained as he listened but unable to say anything else as she continued.

He listened.

He thought to the little bag that he had ensured to stuff into his things that he took with him when he left. That little bag filled with things relating to Sunny. A worn strip of photos from an old fashioned photo booth, movie ticket stubs from their fifth date, a small business-card like piece from a museum on their tenth date (with the day and year written on it), an anniversary card from her to him which was slowly losing the scent of her perfume.

If only he could bring it out to her, show her that he had never stopped thinking of her despite her best intentions to move on, thinking that he had done the same.

At each quiver and shake to her voice, Jaxon felt himself break even more. Just like she thought she could handle being so close to him, Jaxon had thought the same. Now it seems like they both realised how wrong they were.

"You were always good enough, Sunny. You were too good for me." He answered finally, stepping forward with the automatic wish to wipe the tears from her face. But he pulled up short, hands falling back to clasp one fist into the other hand as if about to crack his knuckles. "You got'ta know that. You were always too good for me. I just..."

Jaxon trailed off, swallowing hard before his hands reached to hold the back of his head with a hard exhale. His arms then swung back down to this side, struggling to keep them still when all they wanted to do was bring his mate into his embrace. His wolf whined inside him, distressed as much as he was at the misery and pain and anger that Sunny was finally showing.

"I never forgot. I could never forget you and-- and you may not believe that, but you're impossible to forget, Aurelie Jade Connors."
He swallowed again, fighting the lump that was beginning to form in his throat, "Seeing you, in the lounge the day you moved in... it was the best day of my life." He exhaled, breath shaking as he took the smallest step closer, only halting in fear that it would send her running, "When I left, I thought I was doing what was best. We-- we both know what I was like before I did and I was-- I was absolutely fucking petrified of hurting you. I did what I did to protect you."

His eyes darted upward as he hear one of the bedroom doors open, realising his time was now limited and sharply looked back to Sunny, "I know it sounds like bullshit, but I really did, Sunny. It fucking killed me but I thought you'd be safe. I thought you would have--" He took a deep breath, as if saying the next set of words out loud physically pained him, "I thought you would have moved on, found someone who would have made you happier than I ever could have back then. I love-- loved you so much. All I wanted was for you to be safe. Even now... even now I'd do anything to make sure you never felt this way again. Please-- please just tell me what I can do."

His mouth snapped shut at the sight of Lottie in the entrance to the lounge, masking his expression as the girl had Layke's scent smothered all over her. Well fuck. What a load of shit this evening was turning out to be.

Charlotte

Lottie gathered his bed sheets to pull over herself once he had settled beside her, bringing them up to her chest as she attempted to catch her own ragged breathing. To say she had enjoyed herself was a massive understatement, and her lips curled into a broad grin as she felt his arms wrap around her. She murmured her contentedness unintelligibly as she moved onto her side, allowing him to slot behind her so he could spoon her.

It spoke a lot of her even staying for the cuddle section afterwards, with the vet student typically avoiding any romantic intimacy afterwards. However Layke was different. This whole scenario was different.

Her head turned as she felt him move, looking to him over her shoulder just in time for his hand to reach up to push away strands of hair. She laid there, easily meeting his gaze as she took the time to take him in as he did with her. Her fingers rose to brush along his jawline and then graze down the centre of his throat, lingering at the hollow before falling to rest on her upper arm.

This intimacy - the looks they shared, the cuddling afterwards, the soft and gentle touches - was unlike anything Lottie ever got herself mixed up in. Yet with Layke... it came so naturally.

It scared her.

"I do hope you aren't that tired, Brown. I intend to squeeze a second round from you before we sneak back to the party." She teased, rolling over until she had him on his back and she straddling him. "Nothing more exciting than a quickie when there's a possibility of being caught." She smirked, not yet initiating that second round but leaning forward to press lips to his chest.

However, all thoughts of following up their first round with another halted as Lottie finally noticed a tense, strained voice becoming louder from the lounge. She pulled back, head turning toward the door and the grin was lost, replaced with a frown. Glancing back to Layke, she climbed off him, leaving the bed despite her instincts longing to stay in that bubble of warmth and comfort for a while longer.

The vet student hurriedly pulled on her shorts and shirt, forgoing any underwear in her haste to find out what was going on. Her fingers combed through her damp hair in an attempt to smooth it out after her previous activity with Layke.

Immediately a coldness drenched her as she witnessed the argument that was taking place before her, and her mind immediately went to her moment with Layke. Had that all been an excuse to keep her away from Sunny so Jaxon could make his move on her friend? Where the fuck was Jordan? Had she really just been duped into fucking Layke, thinking it could mean something when really it was nothing but a distraction?

A stoic poker face was soon in place as she stepped forward to gently slip a hand onto Sunny's arm, interrupting the situation, as tense as it was.

"Sunny..." She spoke gently, only looking to her friend for the time being in an attempt to break her out of the moment, "Sunny let's head to bed, it's been a long day."

CAC4A1E5-1B9E-4667-A7E1-6C5C377BA702.gif
Aj had hoped that by finally getting her feelings and thoughts out of her head, she may have actually been able to move on. However, the more she spoke and the more pain poured off of her tongue, the more she was afraid of never moving past it. She had done well when he wasn't around and she had pushed the memories aside. She should have known that with him near again that eventually something would happen. She was living in some silly wonderland to think that they could be friends and ignore the intense history that they shared.

Sunny wasn't quite sure what type of response she was expecting. In all honesty, she didn't think she'd be standing in front of him this long, but there was still a longing in her that hoped he'd give her an answer with enough hope to make her forgive him. Instead, she felt like she was answered with an excuse. She didn't want to hear that she was too good for him or that he loved her through it, or it was to protect her. The thought had her eyes rolling, a scoff threatening to escape.

His words were conflicting to her. Was she more angry or did they somehow comfort her? Almost a bit of both. His move towards her was reflected as she moved back, shaking her head to warn him to not move closer to her. For years he was the only thing she wanted when she was upset. Once he wasn't there when she needed him, she learned to do without. Now, she was too weak and vulnerable in front of him. She didn't dare let him get near her when it could mean she would melt back into his arms again. Despite her desire and longing to be held the way he held her, and comforted the way he knew her best, she couldn't allow herself to be that close to him again.

His words were like needles piercing her heart. As he explained his hope for her to move on, her eyes stung with tears. How did he expect her to just move on? To find someone else? To forget that he ever existed? That she ever loved him?

Her breathing was shallow as her eyes watched him. The lump in her throat continued to swell until she finally felt a hand on her arm. Her eyes moved from Jaxon to Lottie, unable to form any words. Her mouth opened to respond, but was met with silence. She no longer felt tears swelling in her eyes, or that her voice would crack if she spoke. She felt numb to his words.

Instead, her eyes met his again before she blinked, everything else falling away. The curly haired girl walked with her friend back to her room, avoiding the look of Layke as she walked past him and not daring to look back at Jaxon. Quietly, she shut the door behind them before crawling into her bed. She didn't feel like talking or explaining her outburst. She wasn't even in enough of a mindset to realize that Lottie came from Layke's room where he too had the same shocked and almost embarrassed expression at the situation.

Sunny's head instead hit the pillow, her blanket being pulled up around her shoulders as she turned her back towards her friend. What reaction was she expecting from Jaxon? What explanation could he give her that would make her feel better? She should have known that nothing he said would make up for the loss time. Everything else was just a sad excuse to attempt to make her feel better.

• • • • •
4C1727BF-1F93-4D04-A078-02EFA5E6FF04.gif
Layke laid with Lottie for what felt like eternity. He wasn't sure anything could make the situation better. It wasn't even about the sex— it was about the intimacy. The true, raw power of touch, of love, of admiration. It all blended into this perfect mixture as he laid beside her, breathing in the smell of her skin and the river water, his fingers brushing over the smooth face he stared back into.

He hadn't had anything more perfect with anyone before. Like Lottie, he never stuck around for this part of intimacy. Even in relationships, he wasn't a touchy person. He enjoyed having his space and not having someone on him, but with Lottie, he couldn't feel enough of her against him. His wolf was content as he laid with her, just happy to finally have her.

The moment was met perfectly with her natural teasing, never skipping a beat. He laughed, his head tilting back a bit before looking down at her again. "Round two.. three. I'll take you as many times as I can get," he said, his lips dancing against her shoulder as they shared soft chuckles.

His ears perked up suddenly as he heard a faint voice. Typically he was able to hear living room conversations clearly, but he had been so focused on Lottie everything else was blocked out. Hearing the argument now, he met eyes with Lottie and watched as she crawled off of him and hurried to pull her clothes on. Disappointed at the withdrawal, he turned his attention to the voices, trying to make out words. He knew it was Jaxon and Aj, and she was not happy.

Pulling his own shorts on, he trailed behind Lottie a few feet, following into the living room where he saw Jaxon and Sunny staring each other down. He barely caught the last of the conversation, but it seemed that Aj had finally snapped. He could hear the quivering in her breathing, and he could tell from Jaxon's tension that it hadn't turned out as well as he had hoped.

Watching Lottie move to comfort his friend, he watched her walk by, wanting so badly to reach out and comfort his mate and even his new friend, but knew that Jaxon needed him more than anyone now. Once the room was empty and it stood only the two males, Layke ran his hand through his shaggy hair and sighed. "Are you okay?" he asked quietly.

Jaxon

His eyes didn't leave Sunny, even once she had left the lounge his gaze remained on the entrance way as if hoping that she would turn back. Even her yelling at him, revealing everything that she felt was better than the silence and awkwardness that he knew they would now be returning to. He couldn't comprehend just how much she had bottled up over the years, how much she had been hurting and to know he was the cause of it... it was the worst pain he had even felt. Even above his first ever shift.

The young werewolf moved backwards until he was able to collapse back into his seat again, body leaning forward to rest elbows on knees and head in hands. His fingers tightened in his hair, pulling firmly at strands as he tried to fight through his own pain and self-hatred.

"Bit of a stupid fucking question there, Layke." He grumbled sharply, hands moving from his hair to rub over his face. Sighing, he then looked up to his friend, a tired expression on his face, "I'm sorry-- I didn't mean--" He shook his head and leaned back into the armchair, picking up his unfinished bottle of beer.

If he knew it would work, Jaxon would go to the fridge and take out every bottle of beer he had in there plus whatever liquor they had in the cupboards. He would take it outside and sit on the back porch to just drink himself numb. But he knew he couldn't do that, he'd moved past that part of his life. Not to mention, it wasn't like he got as drunk as quickly or easily as humans did anymore.

He shook his head again, eyes raising to Layke, "I don't know how much more I can take of this," he admitted quietly, "I just-- I just want to tell her everything, explain everything, show her everything. Why fucking can't we? There are people in the pack who have humans as their mates and they know. Why do we need to keep it a secret from them?" His anger was beginning to rise again at the unfairness of it all, brow furrowing deeply, "It's fucking okay for you with Lottie, you basically have a fresh start with her. But Sunny? I've already done too much damage and I can't even fucking explain anything to her!"

Abruptly he stood, beginning to pace as he could feel the threat of losing control. Knowing that his mate was upset, merely meters away from him, did nothing to soothe the wolf within him. Both of them wanting nothing more than to crawl into bed with her and wrap her up in his arms.

"I just-- I just want to tell her everything'll be okay. I want to tell her the truth, Layke."
He sighed, running a hand raggedly through his hair, "Maybe it's better if she hates me," he then said quietly, exhaustion heavy in his voice. The thought pained him beyond measure, but it made sense to him. "Maybe it's better if she hates me because then... then she can move on. Like I thought she had done already."

Charlotte

Lottie hovered by the door as Sunny continued to move, ghosting through the room toward her bed. The vet student bit her lower lip, brow furrowed as her arms raised to fold over her chest as she watched her friend. She could easily tell that the fight, whatever words that were spoken, had taken it out of AJ.

She felt like such a fucking idiot to have just left Sunny alone even for a moment. She knew she couldn't be there to protect her friend all the time, but just this one time... and she was reduced to a shell of the girl that she was earlier today. Just to think only a few hours ago they were all laughing and there was the biggest smile on Sunny's face. Now... just tension and silence.

"I'm... I'm not going to ask you what happened... you-- you can talk to me when you're ready."
She started to speak, taking a step toward the bed where Sunny laid with her back to her before pausing, "I'll go make you a hot chocolate." Silently, Lottie left the bedroom and made sure to shut the door behind her in order to keep Sunny's privacy. The vet student walked to the kitchen, still continuing to stay as silent as possible. She didn't want either of the boys coming out and trying to ask how Sunny was. Least of all Layke.

At the mere thought of him, Lottie squeezed her eyes shut as she closed the fridge door. Hurt ripped through her chest on a level she had never experienced before and she sucked in a sharp breath as she turned abruptly to fix up a hot chocolate for her friend. There was no way she could talk to Sunny about this, not with everything else her friend had going on. So she was left to deal with it by herself, just like before.

On her way back to Sunny's room, she stopped by Layke's bedroom to collect her things, even wincing as she collected her towel from beside the bed. After that, she hurried back to her friend, dumping her bag near the door and moving to place the hot chocolate on the bedside table next to where her friend laid, curled up.

Lottie moved to settle on the nearby armchair, bringing her knees up to her chest and chin moving to rest on her knees as she watched Sunny for a moment. She had never seen the girl like this before, and for once, wasn't entirely sure what to do. So she thought it best to give her space, time, and silence. Like she had said out loud, she knew Sunny would talk when she wanted. That in mind, Lottie moved so she could curl up on the armchair, partially turned away from Sunny so she would be able to deal with her own predicament and her own hurt without the possibility of her emotions being seen.