As We Meet Again

5DAFB20D-D736-4402-96E7-FD6916009E9A.gif
Aj listener quietly as he spoke. It was true: she didn't want to believe his words. It would never make sense to her why he chose to leave instead of talk to her, especially saying something as vague as he was afraid of hurting her. Back when the two were together, they were inseparable. Sunny and Jaxon were this power couple. Their relationship and atmosphere was nearly impossible to come across, even she couldn't believe the relationship they had, especially at a young age.

They were partners. She helped him and he helped her. They filled in the holes of each other's existence, so when he decided to stop letting her do that she didn't understand. She knew he had started becoming this person she didn't recognize before his disappearance. He was angry all of the time; throwing things, yelling, ignoring her for days, getting overly jealous when they went out. There were times when she was even afraid to be near him, though part of her knew he'd never hurt her. That was why his excuse was so unbearable for her to grasp. He wouldn't have hurt her. She knew that, she didn't understand why he didn't.

"I didn't recognize who you were before you left. It wasn't that you leaving was the hardest part, but it was never knowing if you were okay. I wanted to be so angry at you for the way you had become, but all I was concerned about was you. I knew you'd never hurt me, I never doubted that," She said. "So that excuse won't ever be enough for me," she said honestly. She'd never accept his reasoning. Even he knew he'd never hurt her. Not who he was before, and not who he was now. There was something he wasn't telling her, but she had to let go of it. "But I don't need an excuse. You're not gone anymore, and that's what matters," she said with a soft smile.

After a few moments, Jaxon stood and she let her eyes follow him. His offer of drinks sounded fun, plus it seemed like it might help ease the tension that remained between the friend group after last weekends fun adventures. "Yeah, that sounds fun," she admitted, letting a sigh release as she crossed her hands over her knees. "I'm sure Lottie would join us as well," she smiled, wondering if her friend was off avoiding Layke still or if she was brave enough to face him. Either way, she hoped she was ordering food, Sunny's stomach was growling with hunger.

"So I'll talk to her and we can make some plans," she said, smiling a bit as she stood up, her hand reaching for her curls. Tugging on one near the back of her head, she released the tight stand and then looked around. "Anyway... I'm, uh, going to shower really quick. So uh..." her cheeks turned a light pink and she looked towards the door before sitting her towel on the counter. "I'll see you later," she said with a chuckle.

• • • • •

919C94B9-90C6-4716-B3C6-259C071CA6CE.gif
Layke wondered if Lottie thought he was being serious as she looked away from him awkwardly. He had never been good at sarcasm, he just hoped he hadn't made her think he didn't really like her! Eventually her remark had him chuckling and he knew they were back to their normal selves. The only difference was that the sexual tension was a little less... prominent. He still thought about her the same way he had before, but something gave him confidence that he wouldn't have to wait that long for her to become desperate enough to go out with him, especially because now that they had slept together, he could sense her a lot easier.

Everyone always said that once you "marked" your mate for the first time, you'd have a better sense for them, and it was true. He had been able to sense her easier, whether she was near him or away he always had a feeling of how she was feeling. He was able to read her emotions easier, and the constant nagging feeling from his wolf wasn't as much since then. It was like she helped calm him down. Maybe it was just the sex and not the mate aspect, but either way he was enjoying the new feelings around her. He could focus on more than just the tense sexual situation between them.

"Uh, yeah. They have the best egg rolls," he said, moving to lean across the counter opposite of her. "My friend loves their fried rice too," he responded, reaching out to glance over a second one of them that they had. "I mean, I'm always hungry so I'll definitely order something if ya'll are. I'm sure Jaxon wouldn't turn down food either," he chuckled. "Speaking of.. How's Aj? I know you're not a huge fan of Jaxon, but he's been pretty rough all week. He feels awful— he always had, but now that he knows how he made her feel... Trust me, he doesn't take it lightly. He really cares for her," he said. He knew he needed to help his buddy out a little. Even if Aj forgave Jaxon, Lottie still had a ways to go before she dropped the history.

Last edited:

Charlotte

"You have more than one friend?" The tease slipped past her lips before she could even realise what she was saying, a small grin tugging at the corner of her lip which she was quick to squash despite her back still being to him. Her finger gently tapped against the counter beside the menu, humming softly in thought as her eyes drifted over the menu.

Her ears picked up the sound of the bathroom door shutting, the shower running and then footsteps approaching. However she knew that it would be Sunny in the shower now, and Jaxon walking down the hall. That meant she had around fifteen minutes to decide on what to order and order it, before Sunny got out demanding where the food was. A smirk formed on her lips at the thought of her friend's impatience when she was hangry, and quietly turned to lean her back against the counter.

It was oddly creepy how Layke asked about AJ just as Lottie had been thinking of her friend, and she blinked up at him in that surprise. Although he wasn't to know she was thinking of her friend's habits. It was just a general question. Yet she was grateful for it, it meant they were moving past what had happened between them and were no longer talking about them, her emotions or the moment they shared.

She shrugged, tapping the menu against her other hand for a moment as she considered how to answer it, "He deserves to be. He needed to know how shit she'd been feeling. He really has no idea how much that part of her past has eaten her up over the past few years... neither of you do." She replied honestly, uncaring to the hurt her words may potentially cause. She wasn't about to sugarcoat it, not after having to witness the torment her friend had gone through.

"Now he knows, he's got a shit tonne to do in order to make up for it, in my eyes. And if he does it again, I'll rip his balls off and feed them to him." She smiled sweetly with the last comment, eyes lingering on Layke before they dropped down to the menu again.

"Any who... I've got to order before Little Miss Sunshine comes out all hangry. I'll be the one to blame if it isn't ordered, so, are you getting in on this? Cause if so, get out a notepad and pen and write down what you want - and whatever Jaxon might want too."

Jaxon

It was a relief to feel like things were back on track now with Sunny. Things didn't seem to be as bad as he thought, that was for sure. They had talked it out, and now it was so obvious to him that that was the best thing to do in that situation. He knew he was lucky, that his Sunny was as understanding as she was. That she seemed that she was merely happy to have him back in her life again, at least as a friend. Jaxon knew, without a doubt, that he wasn't going anywhere again. Not without his Sunny.

A smile pulled at his lips at the amicable atmosphere, the tension in his shoulders melting away and his head nodding, "That sounds good." He agreed, hesitating momentarily as he wondered if he should bring up what had happened between Layke and Lottie. He wasn't entirely sure if the girl had told Sunny, so thought best to leave it.

"Oh-- uh-- yeah, yeah, of course." He cleared his throat, eyes widening as he realised he was in the way. Quickly he gathered his towel, throat clearing once again, "See-- see you later." He grinned, only adding the last part so he had an excuse to catch another glimpse of her before he turned and left.

Shutting the door behind him, Jaxon hastened his steps as he went passed the kitchen, having heard the voices on his approach. No way in hell was he about to add himself to that messy equation. So he continued forward, not stopping until he was in his bedroom with the door securely shut behind him.

Hex Code (Jaxon): #9a7f7e
Hex Code (Lottie): #506e68

9916C79C-EE09-424A-A6FB-DC17B8E9077F.gif
After Jaxon left the bathroom, Auriella shut the door behind him quietly and locked the handle. Her body leaned against the door for a moment as she let out a shallow breath and let herself realize that the worst part was over. They had talked.

She enjoyed her shower, taking advantage of the warm water on her back and the soap suds on her body to relax her tense skin. Aj just listened to the water running and her own thoughts as she allowed her mind to forget the horrendous events from Friday and move on with the day. After her shower she changed into a pair of her pajama shorts and a loose tank top.

Sunny had pulled her hair up into a pony tail near the top back of her head so she kept the dampness off her neck. After putting lotion on and washing her face, Aj clipped her necklace back around her neck, a small gift she had gotten from her grandfather before he passed away. She wore it often now.

Slipping socks on to warm her toes, Aj headed back towards the living area where she figured Lottie was, searching for food fliers. Upon seeing her friend, she walked closer with a smile, only to be greeted with a second familiar face: Layke. She smiled back at him, pulling herself up on the bar stool so she could sit a few seats away from her friend. "I hope you found something good. You know I've never been patient when I'm hungry," she teased, chuckling a little. "Are you and Jaxon going to order with us? I'm starving," she asked, turning her attention to Layke for a moment.

• • • • •

8DE7BC5A-09AA-4D35-AA47-2ECC805DA52D.gif
Layke was glad that the two could go back to at least a semi-normal relationship. As much as he wanted her, he didn't want to ruin what they already had, even if it was just flirting and teasing back and forth. His wolf still encouraged him enough to take a few chances, mostly because he knew that she was his mate. He wouldn't ever find anyone else for him, but she could find someone else. He'd want her to be happy, even without him, but if there was a chance he could go about their relationship a bit slower and make it work, Layke was all for it.

"I've probably got just about as many as you, so not too many," he chuckled. Layke wasn't sure what he expected to hear when he brought up Jaxon and Sunny. Half of him was just relieved it didn't start a fight, or for her to stop talking to him again. He also knew she was right. As much as their secret hurt them and affected their lives, they never knew how it hurt the people around them, even when they didn't know. Jaxon really thought he was doing the right thing, and at the time, he probably was. It made sure he didn't slip up and hurt Aj. However, it ended with long term effects on both of them.

Lottie's response was blunt and honest. Exactly what he expected to hear from her. He was thankful for it, he knew she'd give a straight answer when he asked, and that's what he wanted.

After Sunny came around the corner and began chatting, he turned to start putting his cooler cupcakes away. "Oh yeah, I think we probably will. We won't ever turn down a meal," he laughed, writing down his order on a notepad. "How was your family? You talk about them but I've never met them," he asked, making light conversation with Aj. "So, did you two grow up near each other? Or met in college? Where did you grow up?" he asked, looking towards Lottie. Now that they were on speaking terms, it was time to learn more about her and help get his friend in better shape with Sunny.

Charlotte

When the weekend finally came around, Lottie found herself actually looking forward to going out for drinks. She had buried the whole fuck-up with Isaac, stopped seeing the other guy, and decided to delete all her dating apps. After the whole fiasco, she had realised how exhausted she was and simply wanted a break from that part of her life. Not that she really brought it up with Sunny, unsurprisingly avoiding any time that that incident with Layke came up, changing the subject or simply ignoring any attempts to get her to engage in discussions regarding it.

It wasn't that she didn't want to talk about it. It was more that the vet student was fearful that if she were to talk about it, it would simply open a can of worms. She didn't want to dive into the emotions that she knew were there when it came to Layke, and she also didn't want to fuck up as badly as she had done last time. Their relationship was back on track with the flirty banter, and although she would never admit it, Lottie could feel herself becoming closer to him.

She told him about her family, about what happened with her dad, where she had grown up and the reason why she had gone into veterinary work. She still kept the past about her previous serious relationship a secret, not daring to lift the lid on that Pandora's Box and reveal to him just how fucked up her life was when her dad passed. Anxious that, if she did, he would turn tail and run.

Things just felt... easy. Sunny had been the last person she had felt so comfortable with, yet now Layke was offering that same secure, safe feeling that she got when hanging out with Sunny. Lottie found herself having to bite her tongue on a number occasions, so close to revealing that dark truth of her life, but catching herself before she did.

However, while they had that growing and strengthening friendship, Lottie still held back in terms of anything romantic. The tension was still there, and they did still flirt, but she knew she couldn't allow herself to indulge. Her main fear revolved around getting hurt again... but also hurting him.

The night they went out for drinks, though, did see her touching Layke a little more throughout the night. The alcohol in her system helping her forget her fears and simply pushing forward the want to enjoy herself. Drunk words/actions were sober thoughts, after all. She found herself playfully nudging him with her shoulder, placing a hand on his knee or thigh when laughing at something he had said or simply turning to face him in the booth with an arm on the back of the cushions and elbow bent so her hand could rest on the shoulder closest to him. All actions that, to any outside, would probably suggest they were together.

Not that all outsiders seemed to get that message, since a handful of times that Lottie had gone to the bar to get some more drinks, a guy kept trying to hit on her. It resulted in a resting bitch face and a selection of non-committal responses to what was said. He didn't appear every time she was at the bar, but it was enough to have Lottie rolling her eyes each time he approached throughout the night.

Soon though she was able to retreat to her group again, and the resting bitch face had been replaced by the same warm smile she had returned with. Such as now, as she came back with four new drinks for them all.

"I swear, I have no idea where you boys put this stuff. How high is your tolerance? You're acting like it's barely fucking touched you! That definitely isn't fair. Maybe I'll have to start ordering shots just to finally tip you both over the edge." Lottie smirked, clinking her beer bottle against the drinks of the others before taking a swig.

While she hadn't entirely forgiven Jaxon for the past, she was definitely on the road to it being that way. Sunny seemed happy enough, and so long as the guy didn't fuck that up and hurt her all over again, that was fine by Lottie.

She would be ready with a shotgun though, regardless.

Jaxon

Jaxon was grateful that he had talked to Sunny that day before she got in the shower. The tension in the house seemed to ease and even Lottie seemed okay with him. Well, relatively okay. He knew there was undoubtedly some way to go when it came to the other girl. However, that was fine to Jaxon, so long as everyone in the house got along.

Things were no longer as awkward with Sunny, and he was extremely pleased about that. As Layke had though about Lottie being happy, Jaxon had the exact same thoughts about Sunny. It would hurt, no doubt about that, but if her being happy meant she was with someone else... he would suck it up. His mate being happy was the main priority and while he'd like that happiness to come with being with him... he knew better than to push his luck. At this rate, he knew it was a fucking miracle that they were still friends. And he wasn't about to fuck that up. He couldn't lose her again, not after finding her now. Especially not after everything they had talked about.

Of course the desire to tell her everything still remained. He wanted nothing more than to sit her down and explain everything, tell her who he was now and why he had left. But how could he? She'd probably end up trying to get him checked in to a mental hospital or something. Not to mention, he had no idea what kind of shit he would end up in with their pack if they were to find out he told a human. Besides, how overwhelming it'll be for Sunny, not only to be told that he was a supernatural being, but also that she was his soulmate. So he left it, not that he had much of a choice.

Regardless of that, drinks seemed like the perfect way to get them all out of the house and into a new environment. To Jaxon, it was the best way to get out and get them to all loosened up. They could actually act like a real group of friends, and at times, it really felt like they had been doing this for years, not just months.

He chuckled at Lottie's question, shrugging, "We've just got good tolerance, I guess. Although I expected of you two; you're both uni girls! You should be used to a copious amount of drink." He grinned, playfully nudging Sunny as he did so.

B3188754-C695-4866-BFC6-045FBACFEF79.jpeg
Sunny felt much better about the groups atmosphere after that day. Lottie and Layke seemed back to their normal, flirty selves while her and Jaxon had made amends. She did feel better with a lot less on her chest, and she was happy to go back to the Sunny and Jaxon she had missed. Drinks were definitely still necessary though.

In addition to the drama in the house lately, Sunny had been up to her neck in work and school. The final months before she graduated was definitely keeping her on her toes. She was just thankful she only had her last few classes to finish before Christmas and then her and Lottie would be finished with school and finally get to start their internships.

Once the weekend came around, Sunny didn't even hesitate with changing into a nice outfit and fluffing her curls. She was planning on enjoying the weekend and the friend group she had grown so close to. Just as Jaxon thought, Aj also felt that their group had known each other for years, rather than months. They all worked so well together and she hadn't felt more safe in an environment in a long time. It was funny how sometimes fate worked itself out.

Sunny had changed into a more simple outfit than she would have been of it was a weekend back in university with Lottie. Instead of going all glam out, she wore a pair of high top, short blue jean shorts and a red top that crossed in the front and was nothing but the strings in the back. She was too clumsy to wear anything except her converse, and had hair had too much of a mind of its own to do anything with it, so she just pulled a small braid back from the side to leave one ear uncovered while the rest bounced naturally around her shoulders. She wasn't much to go out with her appearance ever— She likes casual and comfy. She always had been the one wearing sweaters and converse when others were dressed in sometimes too inappropriate of outfits like many of the other girls at booths around them.

Being the responsible "mom" of the group, Sunny had convinced the group to walk to the bar since they only lived two blocks away so that there was no risk of anyone trying to drive after their night out. They were on their fourth— or possibly fifth round by the time Lottie went to get the next set of drinks. She was sitting in he back corner beside Jaxon and across from Layke, sipping on the mixed vodka that Lottie had convinced her to try. She was more of a tequila or whiskey kind of girl, but the drink wasn't actually that terrible. Besides, at this point in the night she was tipsy enough she couldn't really taste it.

The music in the back was cranked up loudly as someone changed the song and others were dancing. She could hear laughter and loud talking at the tables around them, but it was all background noise for her as their group talked and laughed at their own jokes. Sunny was turned towards Jaxon, her back towards the window and one leg pulled onto the booth against her while the other remained on the floor. While she hadn't reach the complete level of touchiness as to where Lottie was, she had noticed herself being a bit more relaxed with Jaxon. One hand occasionally brushed against his or her bare shoulder would bump his shoulder. Small movements, but big impacts for Sunny. She wasn't sure if it was just the alcohol through her veins making her stomach twisting as it use to around him, or the possibility that she may actually still have feelings for him. Either way, tonight was not the night for her to think about it. It was a time for her to have fun.

Lottie's comment made her laugh a little as she reach for the beer bottle she had returned with. "God, not the shots. I think it would do more harm than good," she laughed. Jaxon's small nudge and remark had her smiling back at him. "Uni girls that can kick your ass in any board game, not out drink two mechanics," she nudged back with a chuckle.

• • • • •

FDAE0FD0-193D-4772-B5B9-A2B2D3CEB2EC.jpeg

Layke had enjoyed the rest of the week. With Lottie understanding that he wasn't behind Sunny and Jaxon's fight, she was a lot more relaxed with both of the boys. It helped ease the tension between Jaxon and Sunny, who were back to even more of a friendship than before they had their blow out. It seemed to Layke that they just needed to have the open discussion to go back to a normal for them. He and Lottie had unfortunately not gone back into exactly what he wanted, but it was the best he was getting for now and he was happy with it. Besides, he had missed their constant teasing and flirting. It was most of his new developed fun.

By the time the weekend rolled around, the friend group was back to how had been a month before, except... better. There was less tension all the way around and it was as if the group had settled into their roles. He knew that with his and Jaxon's tolerance they wouldn't need to worry about driving while intoxicated, but Sunny wouldn't budge on leaving the cars at home. If she knew about their extra little secret, she may have not been as worried about their drinking as she would have been about heir sanity.

Despite the "mom move" from Sunny, they had made it to the bar and were all having a great time. Lottie had started in with her teasing early in the night, so he had used it as an advantage himself. Her hand touching his leg led to his hand touching hers.. her flirty eyes had him winking in return. It was partly the alcohol giving them both a bit more confident than without it, however he knew just as well as she did deep down that they had enjoyed each other once before and would enjoy themselves another time. It was hard to not want to make a move when she was flirting with him in return, but he tried to keep her space a bit until he got the green light.

Most of the night he had kept his eyes on her. His wolf urged him to keep her safe with all the idiots around him, but also just out of concern, he watched each time it was her turn to go get drinks, and occasionally noticed a guy following her. He kept himself relaxed enough to stay in his own seat instead of joining her to confront him, but it wasn't an easy task. By the time she returned the final time with the glare off of her face replace with a smile, he returned it and let his arm flow behind her on the back of the booth while taking his drink.

"I've got to agree with Sunny here. If you're wanting us to catch up with you I don't think shots would help your case, " he teased, leaning back in the book as he stretched his legs out. Taking a swig of his bottle, he watched the busser come out to collect their empty drinks. She was a tall, dark haired girl with bright red lips. Layke has noticed her eyes on him throughout the night but he hadn't really entertained the idea, feeling no need to when his mate was beside him. This time he saw her smiling as she reach for his empty bottles and he returned it with a smirk before handing them to her from across the table. Even if it wouldn't happen, he was intrigued to see if Lottie would have a similar response as what he did.

Charlotte

Rolling her eyes at the responses she got, Lottie still grinned and took another swig of her beer. She was feeling tipsy, being four beers in by that point and having not had much to eat due to a crazy shift at her placement. However, she was still in control and had a couple more pints to go before she would be over her limits.

But that didn't necessarily mean she could shrug off the look that Layke just shared with one of the bar workers when the girl came to collect their empty glasses and bottles. She had noticed the girl had been lingering, faster to get to their table but taking longer to clear it up than the others, but thought nothing of it. Until Layke had smirked at her, and they both shared a look. Even the simple gesture of him handing over the empty glasses had Lottie bristling, wondering what the fuck he was playing at. Since, of course, she had no idea that he wouldn't even consider such a notion because of what he knew. To her, it was a moment of someone keeping their options open, and that pissed her off.

She retracted her arm from the space it laid within on the back of the booth cushions just above his shoulders, beer once more raising to her lips so she could take another sip of the liquid.

Perhaps she shouldn't have been so friendly with him during the night, clearly it was some kind of chase he enjoyed and maybe now he was bored of her, and was eyeing up that other girl as a new, potential option.

The vet student took another few gulps of the beer, placing it back down on the table afterwards with a muscle in her jaw jumping. He did, after all, ask her why she thought he'd be into relationships. And that he would still try to win her over. What if that last part was no longer what he wanted to do. Maybe he was done with her. Which was confusing considering how the night had been going, with them both openly flirting and even touching one another.

The longer she thought about it, the more chaotic and jumbled Lottie's thoughts were becoming, the more aware she was at the irritation and hurt that began to spike in her chest.

"I'm just going to get some air, be back in a few minutes, yeah?" She told the group, standing rather abruptly but smiling to reassure them - especially Sunny - that everything was okay. Lottie collected her coat and her purse, ready to head out to the front of the bar.

Jaxon

"Fucking hell, you and those board games-- that was one time!" Jaxon protested, laughing as he did so. "I suppose we would have a higher tolerance, being mechanics and all." He then smirked, looking over at Layke in amusement at the reason the girls believed for their ability to hold their drink.

If it kept their secret safe, then why correct them? If it made sense to them, he wasn't about to argue any other reason behind their ability to put away copious amounts of alcohol.

"But agreed, let's keep away from shots. They never agree with me anyway." He then agreed, smirk melting into a grin. Not that they didn't agree with him because he couldn't handle them well, there was just something about them that made his stomach turn. He wasn't sure what, but spirits never agreed with him before this werewolf stuff and it seemed even the added benefits of being a werewolf couldn't keep their affect away.

Jaxon himself noticed the look between Layke and the other young woman, although he schooled his expression so his reaction didn't show. He wasn't sure what his friend was playing at, with the cheeky smirk to a woman who was clearly interested in chasing him. The hooded gaze of the bartender along with sultry red lipstick definitely was a dangerous combination for any man, but Jaxon couldn't understand why his friend was falling for it when his mate was sat right beside him.

He turned his head then to chat to Sunny, not wanting to bring attention to the situation, especially after noticing Lottie's reaction. The withdrawal of the arm, the rapid gulps of beer in quick succession. It didn't look good, and Jaxon had to wonder what the fuck Layke was doing all over again.

However, when Lottie stood up, there was no ignoring what had happened but Jaxon avoided mentioning it. He smiled up at the other girl, "You alrigh'? One of us can come with if you like."

He watched as the vet student shook her head, leather jacket slipping over shoulders, "No I'm good. You guys stay here. It's someone else's round next." She added playfully afterwards, another forced smile on her lips. Jaxon watched as she left before turning his attention to Layke with a raised eyebrow.

D9AEA8C4-3BAE-46B2-8A8F-4D5DB593DF7A.gif
Just as everyone else at the table had noticed the slight smirk Layke gave the waitress, Sunny had as well. She turned in her seat, eyes on Lottie. Sure, the two had decided not to pursue a relationship and Lottie had said what happened between them wouldn't happen again.. But that didn't mean Lottie didn't want it to. Sunny knew her friend well, and knew that she only didn't pursue a relationship because she was afraid of hurting him or getting hurt herself, not because she didn't want Layke. Obviously their continued flirting all night had proven so. Was Layke truly so blind as to not see that or was he just trying to see Lottie's reaction?

Jaxon pulled Sunny's attention back towards him, her head turning away from her friend. After a few moments she saw movement in the corner of her eyes and she turned to follow it. Her friends words were quick and short. Of course she was upset and needed some air, but Sunny wasn't going to let her go alone. She instinctively began to turn and stand herself when Jaxon asked, but Lottie denied any company. Aj returned her bottom to her seat for a moment and watched as her friend walked away. Taking another drink from her bottle, she sighed and leaned back, raising an eyebrow at Layke.

• • • • •

7E38B2E0-E331-4756-9585-834129D79EC8.gif
Layke wasn't quite expecting the reaction he received.. actually he wasn't sure what he was expecting. Sure, maybe he shouldn't have let his cockiness get the best of him and smirked at the girl, but he had. Lottie and him had been flirting all night and they were back to their normal selves, but she had said she didn't want anything else. Of course it didn't mean he would stop trying, but he was frustrated chasing after a girl who seemed to not want anything with him either. At least that was his mindset with a few beers in his system.

She was his mate. In the end, he would always choose her. He would always want her. But if she didn't want him in return, aside from the flirting banters that they shared, then he wasn't going to force her to be with him when she didn't even know the truth. Besides, though it had been a week, Layke still smelled the hints of the other guy she had been with left behind on her skin. She couldn't truly be angry at him when she had the same freedom as he did, right?

After she left the area, he sighed himself and finished the drink that she had brought back. Somehow he always did screw it up, he just hoped he wasn't put back in the same situation as he was before. Girls were too complicated for him— why couldn't he ever get a straight answer? The looks from across the table didn't help ease his own worrying, and he knew he should have just hit himself in the back of the head right then. "I know, okay?" he mumbled, pushing his empty bottle to the corner of the table. "I'm going," he said, moving out of the booth to follow her scent.

Even if she didn't want him there, he had to check on her if not for her safety, then for his sanity. Walking out of the bar door, he looked around at the people standing outside until he spotted her and moved to where she was standing. It was a cold night with the wind blowing, but thankfully he was more of a space heater with his hidden abilities and it actually felt really nice with the fresh air. Once he reach where Lottie stood, he moved up beside her with his hands in his pockets. "It's kind of chilly out here," he said, watching as cars passed by them on the highway.

"Are you going to stay mad at me the rest of the night or are you gonna come back in so we can enjoy the next round?" he asked. Maybe it was a bit more abrupt than his normal approach, but Layke was confused himself. Sure, she was a girl and they often said one thing and meant something else, but he didn't know where to go with this girl. She hated him and then they were flirting and then they had sex and then she was back to hating him and now she doesn't want to be with him but she wants to flirt with him and apparently not let anyone else flirt with him?
He had told her what he wanted; her. He had made it clear he would try to keep winning her over, but how was he suppose to know which days she wanted him and which days she didn't want him? He had never been good with girls or relationships, so everything with her was a first. If a girl like her had ever been with him before, he would have just moved on a long time ago to find someone else.. but she was different. She was his mate. And he was so aggravated because he couldn't figure her out. She was this puzzle that he saw all these different pieces but couldn't figure out where they fit together at.

"I didn't mean to upset you— I just thought- I don't know," he mumbled.

Charlotte

"Yeah? Well I'm fine," Lottie mumbled, keeping her eyes on the highway even after Layke had approached her, "I said I was fine, I didn't need you coming out after me." She then added, thumbs quietly tapping against her hip flexors while the rest of her fingers remained buried in her jean pockets. She had gone for a pair of black jeans, her black ankle boots and a dark blue crop top with capped sleeves. Her leather jacket over the top. She was a little cold, but she was willing to put up with that if it allowed her to get a rein on her emotions again.

Lottie snorted with indignant amusement, eyes rolling at his comment, defensively bristling, "I'm not mad at you Layke. It is what it is, I just needed air. Besides, didn't think it'd look too good on you if I was still doing what I was doing when you asked that girl for her number."

She finally looked at him then, but only from the corner of her eye, head turning only slightly to accommodate the glance. "Look if you wanted me to stop what I was doing, just be a big boy and tell me. I won't give a shit-- well, I mean... obviously I will. But I'm a big girl, Layke, I can take it, alright?" Her head turned back, eyes once more settling on the passing cars, "I just don't want to be made to look like a fucking idiot. I don't need that kind of energy back in my life."

A little slip, a suggestion and a hint toward the past. A past she still wasn't sure about telling him. Especially after what had just happened. She had thought that, maybe with the alcohol and how comfortable she now felt around him, he might have been the one she spilled everything to. Well, the second person she spilled everything to.

"I just don't need you telling me that you... might want me, only to go and make sex eyes at another girl." Her head lowered, bending as her boot scuffed against the concrete, "I'm trying here, Layke-- it might be a shit attempt at trying but I just--"

She cut off as a hand fell onto her upper arm, on the side of her that wasn't next to Layke. She sharply looked up, only to have to smother a groan at the sight of the guy from the bar, "Hey gorgeous," he grinned, eyes flickering over her before seeming to realise Layke was also present. His eyebrow raised while Lottie's skin crawled as his fingers stroked her arm, causing her to quietly pull it away, "This guy bothering you?"

"No, he's a friend." She muttered, taking a step back only for the guy to step with her. A small glare appeared as the guy smirked, looking from her to Layke and back, "Just a friend? Tough luck for him. At least mine seems to be in though." He drawled, and Lottie's hand went to his wrist as she felt his hand slip into the back pocket of her jeans, allowing him to cup her arse.

"We were actually trying to have a conversation, so if you could--" She attempted to pull his hand from her pocket, only to feel his fingers press harder against her backside to remain rooted there, "Didn't look like a particularly fun one, which is why I came over. I thought I'd be saving the pretty damsel." He grinned, using the hold he hand to bring Lottie closer. The vet student held up her arm to press her forearm against the guy's chest, huffing irritably, "This damsel doesn't need any saving and I'd fucking appreciate it if you took your fucking greasy hand off me."

The guy's grin wavered, eyes narrowing slightly as he began to realise things weren't going as he'd planned, "You've fucking changed your tune since the bar. Sending me those doe eyes all night, laughing at what I've been saying, talking to me." He retorted and Lottie scoffed, "I've not been doing any of that and the only reason why I laughed at anything you said was so you'd leave me the fuck alone."

Jaxon

Knowing that Sunny would undoubtedly been worrying about her friend now Layke had gone out after her, he wracked his brain in an attempt to figure out something to talk about. He wanted to distract her, knowing that their friends were grown-up enough now to resolve whatever was going on between them without their help. Besides, if he had learned anything about Lottie at this point, it was that the girl didn't appreciate other people sticking their noses where it didn't belong.

"How's school going? Is medicine everything you thought it would be?" He asked, turning his body back to face her. He hoped the topic of med-school would help with keeping her from worrying. Talking about something that she loved, and he knew she was excited and passionate about, would surely help keep her mind off things.

"I can remember how often you'd talk about it, back in High School. I'm really pleased you managed to get in Sunny. Not just cause it means I have a professional in my house if something goes wrong at work."
He then teased, grinning lightly.

1D90DAD0-8C62-410D-AB63-897DC95038EE.gif
Sunny watched as Layke stood from the booth and left the area to just her and Jaxon. Another sip from her bottle had her turning to face Jaxon as he spoke up. She knew it was likely an attempt to distract her from her friend, but she appreciated it nonetheless. Swishing the liquid in her bottle as she swirled it above her knee, she smiled and thought about his question.

School was... hard. It was more work than she ever imagined possible, but nothing she could accomplish. It was constant, on the go work and she felt like she learned something new every time she opened a book. It was exactly what she hoped it would be an so much more. "It's been crazy," she laughed. "I have learned so much that I never would have even realized. It's so interesting. Everyday I see something new or I learn about something I didn't know existed. It's a little scary at times though. Soon I'll be on my own and I know I'll know what to do, but what if I can't do it? I got into this because I wanted to make a difference. I wanted to save people and help them get better. What if I freeze up and I can't? Their lives will literally be in my hands," she chuckled a bit.

"Back in high school... man, I never thought I'd get this far. I mean I knew I could, I just thought I'd stop before I finished and never go back. It's been such a long ride," she said, a slight shake of her head cause her to smile. "I'm really excited to finish, but it's just scary in the bigger scheme of things, ya know?" she said.

Sunny finished the rest of her drink and looked back towards Jaxon. "I tend to ramble still after a few drinks," she chuckled. "I guess not a lot about me has changed," she laughed. "What about you, though? Has a lot about you changed?" she asked, her eyes looking over him curiously.

• • • • •

740CF828-2787-4984-8F9B-1BDD63996CA5.gif
Layke's eyes rolled slightly as he sighed. "I know you didn't need me coming out but I did anyway," he responded. He snorted at her response, pulling his hands from his pockets as he crossed them over one another. "What do you want then, Charlotte?" he asked, turning his full body towards her so he could see her. It was dark out with the sun already set, so he was only able to see her silhouette from the bar lights in the back, while occasional headlights hit her face just barely enough for him to see her eyes.

"Trust me— if I wanted her number I would have gotten it," he snorted, shoving his hands back into his pockets, nervously shifting from one foot to another. "I didn't want you to stop. If I wanted you to stop do you think I would have returned your flirting? If I wanted you to stop do you think I would have had sex with you and then been upset when you decided that we should only be friends? You keep going back and forth with me. I need to be a big boy and tell you what I want? I have— You don't listen," he rambled on. "You didn't want the relationship with me, but you don't want me flirting with other girls either? I'm trying to figure you out but I just can't," he groaned, his hands back up to his head as he ran them through his hair.

He tried listening to her words— hoping that maybe she could understand his side and he could understand hers, but they were interrupted just as he felt that they may be getting somewhere. If he wasn't aggravated enough at whoever it was, he was even more annoyed to see the guy from the bar with his hand on Lottie. His hands shoved back into his jacket pockets to keep from moving in between them.

Her obvious discomfort around the male only had Layke getting more agitated with the drunk guy, but he wasn't about to put his nose where it didn't belong until he needed to. It was nearly impossible for him to not step up, his inner wolf growling as the guy followed her footsteps and then slipped his hand into the back of her jeans. His feet remained planted, despite everything inside him burning to unleash hell onto this bastard, but Layke managed to breathe heavily and stay beside them until he couldn't handle it.

"We are fine, thanks," he finally said, pulling his hands from his pockets. "You should leave, now," he mumbled, attempting to withhold himself. Layke could feel his blood boiling the longer the man stayed around, and the more he smirked the more Layke felt himself tipping over the edge. His hands were swelling into fists and he knew that one hit would be nearly impossible for him to stop at. The guy would be lucky if he chose to walk away politely, though it didn't seem he was so cooperative.

As the guy pulled Lottie closer to him, completely ignoring Layke's words, he felt himself growling from his chest. His wolf was threatening to unleash, which was the last thing that he needed on the side walk outside of a crowded bar. "I said that you should leave," he responded, moving forward as he took hold of the mans wrist, easily leaving a bruise as he withdrew it from Lottie's back pocket. Once his hand was off of Lottie, he pushed the male backwards and away from the blonde, feeling himself easing into how much he wanted to end the man.

"
What the hell is your problem?" the man yelled, pushing Layke back. He barely moved from the little force that the human could use, but just his hands on him made it even harder for him to control his urges. He hadn't ever gotten so angry at someone, but now he really wasn't sure if he would be able to control himself. His fists were clinched tightly by his side and he felt him breath getting heavier with each moment. "What? That little slut been flirting with you all night too? Such a shame for a fucking tease—" the man began to response, but Layke had already lunged forward at him again. His hands pushed him back, further away from Lottie when he heard the name slip from his lips, but it was too late. His inner wolf was far too interested in ending this man for him to control his own body.

Layke's fist collided with the strangers cheek to interrupt his final words, his free hand holding him by the shirt so that he couldn't attempt to run away.

Layke was completely aware of those around him as they watched him punch the guy, which thankfully allowed him to bring himself back to reality just enough to let go of the mans shirt and let him fall to the ground, angrily spitting blood and cursing, though not daring to challenge him. Even though Layke was satisfied enough himself, his wolf wasn't. He could feel his bones beginning to transition and he wasn't sure he could control his shift, especially not with all of the distractions around him.

"Go back inside," he grumbled towards Lottie whenever his eyes found her. His vision was blurry and his head was splitting with a pain as he tried to find his wolf. He wasn't sure where he needed to go, but he needed to get away from the crowd of people. Everyone accidentally bumping into him made his skin burn with anticipation, and the loud noises of talking and laughing and music seemed to cause explosions in his brain. Heading around the back of the bar, Layke groaned loudly as he felt his back breaking so that it could reform, but he was able to grasp onto the brick wall in order to hold himself together. He wouldn't let himself shift— not there in the middle of town when his emotions were already strung high.

His eyes were turning from their normal color to a bright yellow with a black slit down the middle, his body sweating uncontrollably as he huffed in pain trying to focus on his breathing so that he could contain himself. His hair was dripping as his body shaking as he groaned as quietly as he could manage (which wasn't very) so that he wouldn't draw any attention to the back of the bar. He was too afraid of someone seeing him and exposing him for what he was— or worse, hurting them.

Charlotte

"Layke!" Lottie exclaimed, rushing forward as the male landed a punch on the drunk asshole from the bar. Her eyes were wide, not having expected such a brutal show of aggression and anger toward someone that Lottie clearly had no interest in and would have stubbornly said later that she could handle. Her hands came to rest on his back, only for her eyes to dart down to the material of his shirt as it seemed like his skin was crawling. Too bewildered to remove her hands, Lottie remained staring down at the fabric as she watched it, her breathing stopping as it seemed like his skin was moving and not in a natural way either.

"Layke-- wait, stop! Where are you--?" S
he called after him, sharply pulled back to reality as he ripped himself away from her. Lottie knew she couldn't let him go alone, unsure and even slightly frightened about what he might do next if he was left alone.

She had always seen him as someone being in complete control. He seemed to have his emotions, negative or positive, reined in impressively well, and never in the way that Lottie had hers bottled up unhealthily within her. He exercised a healthy control over his emotions, or at least that was what it looked like to Lottie who envied him for that. So to see him explode in such a way was a little daunting.

Instead of listening to him, the blonde quickly stepped over the guy from the bar who was only just sitting up and pushed through the crowd to find Layke. She didn't bother calling after him, believing that there would be no chance in hell that he would hear her considering the loud music and high levels of chatting and laughter.

As she rounded the corner to the back of the bar, Lottie slowed at the sent of him doubled over and leaning against the brick wall. She bit her lower lip, concerned as to what happened. Did the guy have something on him, like a knife or something? Did he managed to get a wild strike back at Layke before he went down and now the other male was suffering for it?

With that new fear in mind, the vet student sharply moved forward. Her hands came down to gingerly touch his back, brow furrowing at the dampness that came through his shirt. "Layke... oh God, did he get you with something? Cause-- cause if we did, we need to get you to a hospital. Lemme-- lemme take a look at you, please--"

She cut off as she stood in front of him, having slowly started to crouch down but freezing at the sight of his eyes. Her entire body went rigid, the hand on his shoulder sticking there as if someone had really filled her entire body with ice to keep her perfectly still.

They were yellow. Like a feral, wolfish yellow. With a black iris that was just totally unnatural for humans.

"Oh my-- oh my-- fucking-- oh my fucking---" Her hand finally pulled back, a foot stepping backwards, "Oh my fucking God. What-- what the fuck--?"

Jaxon

Jaxon would happily sit through any conversation with Sunny so long as it was one that made her happy. It was both sappy and soppy, but he enjoyed watching her eyes light up the way they did when talking about something she was passionate about. He didn't care if she was rambling, or how long she may ramble on for; just so long as she was talking, he'd listen.

He shrugged at her comment which addressed such ramblings, grinning as he took a swig from his bottle of beer, "Ramble all you like, that's one thing about me that hasn't changed - I'll always enjoy listening to you ramble." He winked, even daring to clink the bottom of his bottle against hers in a little mock cheers.

"Honestly though, Sunny... It's just great to hear how much you're enjoying it. You're... you're going to make an amazing doctor one day. I couldn't imagine having anyone better looking after me." His cheeky grin then turned into a sincere smile, fingers gently tapping against the bottle as he held it still.

He knew he ought to address her question regarding what changes he may have gone through, but he needed to be careful with how he responded. Obviously he couldn't tell her everything, especially not the truth. But he had to provide enough that would satisfy her.

"I... I'm not the angry boy that left you all those years ago, not anymore. I've grown up, gotten control of those emotions. I'm-- I'm better now, or at least I'm trying to be." He watched her, slightly nervous about triggering another argument when all he wanted was to be honest, "I feel closer to my old self, but I'm still different to that old me. That and I'm now better at fixing cars." He added lightly on the end, smiling warmly as he ended with an easy joke.

D19C490D-3475-4046-8A3F-BA65D6F2852C.gif
Sunny couldn't help but remember the times that seemed long ago where they would have been doing this same thing. They were too young to be in a bar, but they'd be out by the river or up on a hill laid out on a picnic blanket watching the stars or in the back of a truck curled up together. He would always listen to her rambling, whether it was her nervous and anxious worries or her excited and happy bragging. He was always there, eager to listen to whatever she had to say.

His wink after telling her he hadn't changed, she felt her cheeks turn a light pink, letting his glass barely clink against hers before taking another drink. She then listened to his words. He wasn't ever a rambler like she was, so she wasn't surprised that his words were shorter and more simple than hers. She always admired that about him as well. She found herself in a cheeky grin as she listened to him talk about how he had grown as she always hoped he would. Of course many years before she always imagined herself with him as he accomplished his goals, but she was happy he had made it on his own.

She laughed slightly as his joke, sipping on her bottle again and reaching up to brush the hair from her eyes. "I'm glad. You seem to be doing really good for yourself. Really, that all I ever hoped for," she admitted with a soft smile. "And it's convenient you're good with cars because you know the luck I have with them," she laughed. Sunny looked around the bar they were at, watching other people carefully as they all interacted with each other. Her eyes turned back towards Jaxon and she smiled again.

"Do you.. Have you talked to your parents? Let them know how you've been? I use to ask but they usually didn't have much to say," she said. It was something she had been curious about but always nervous to ask. A little alcohol coursing through her veins helped push her past the awkward stage. "You know I never imagined you in the city. I always figured you'd find a little cabin somewhere away from the public. You use to never like the big crowds. I had to beg you to go anywhere with me," she teased.

• • • • •
8DF0FD81-1A75-48BC-9BE7-EEE1FA54BBA5.gif
Layke hadn't even turned to see if Lottie had listened to him. His body was shaking too much to worry about her, but once he felt the soft, cold touch on his back he growled lowly and knew it was her. Then came her voice. It was full of concern for him, worried that the man had hurt him. It was sweet, but his head was too full to think of that. He needed to get away from her, fearful that he wouldn't be able to stop his transition and he would hurt her, or worse. "No— Please just go," he growled again. But it was too late. His eyes looked up at hers and he saw her through the pale frame, blurring as his night vision tried to take over.

Layke was quick to look away again, blinking hard to push back his transition. His wolf could feel her beside him, smelling his mate and making it more difficult for him to remain in control. True panic began to set in as he realized that he may not be able to stop himself. It was the only true fear he had ever had— hurting another human. If he were to hurt Lottie— or worse— he knew he couldn't live with himself.

He started breathing heavily, his body fully turned towards the brick wall where he was bent over, his fists hard against the wall. In and out. In and out. In and out. He repeated this phrase in his mind silently as he began to straighten his breathing out. He had to ignore the smell of blood from the male he had hit, each whiff only hyping his wolf up more. His ears drowned out everything, even Lottie as he focused only on gaining his control back again.

Once he felt his eyes transition back to their dark color, he opened them and blinked again. Suddenly all of his senses were regained and he could feel and hear Lottie panicky. He turned, not even knowing what to say. He stared at her, his lips pierced as she stepped back to leave room between them. Of all the times he needed her to listen when he asked her to do something, it couldn't have been then? "Lottie— I— We need to leave," he said, catching scent of the male he had hit as the wind blew. He knew she'd have questions. Hell, she likely wouldn't even trust him enough to go with him, but he needed her to. Would she believe the truth? Probably not. But what other choice did he have now that he had nearly exposed himself in front of her?

Charlotte

"G-Go? Go? I-- I can't just-- I can't just go! Your... your eyes! They... they were... they were fucking yellow, Layke!" She shook her head furiously, heart pounding hard in her chest as she stared at him in disbelief. He wanted her to leave? Was he fucking kidding? Obviously something was going on with him. He needed a hospital or something.

Unsure what to do as he turned back toward the brick wall, Lottie stood there trembling at what she was witnessing. He had to be ill, there was no other explanation for it. He was sweating far too much for someone not doing any form of physical exercise. His eyes had changed colour! How else could she explain it? He was ill. He was drugged. Poisoned. Hurt.

But what kind of drug changed someone's eye colour?

She focused back onto him as he finally turned back to face him, lips parting as she held his gaze. The iris back to a normal, human colour again. With a normal, human pupil. Had she just imagined the whole thing? She surely couldn't be that drunk. Perhaps the guy had slipped something into her drink?

"Yeah-- Yeah. We... we should leave. Definitely. We need to-- uh-- we need to get you to a hospital."
Lottie stepped forward, shaking hands raising to rest on his upper arms. Her eyes darted over his form, clearly looking for any sign of injury that might explain his sudden physical anomalies. "Clearly-- clearly he got you with something. I-- your eyes... they-- they were yellow. How the fuck does that happen?"

Jaxon

At the question regarding his parents, Jaxon averted his gaze to stare down at his beer bottle. A finger gently picked at the label as he thought about them, smile briefly fading. "Yeah I... I've not really talked to them that much. Like I... when I first settled somewhere I basically sent a message so they knew I was alive and stuff but..." He shrugged, biting the inside of his lower lip as he knew he should have done the same for her.

He had considered it, sat with the phone in his hand and the text written out, agonising over whether to send it or not.

But then he had convinced himself, and been convinced by members of the pack, that it was better to leave it. That she would move on; she would be better without him after how badly he had changed.

He glanced up at her, smiling quietly at her teasing but not saying anything for a moment as he allowed his gaze to linger on her. He slowly sat up, and reached out with a hand to brush some of her hair behind her ear. His fingers grazed her cheek on the way through, and lightly brushed her jaw as he pulled back.

"I really am... sorry, Sunny. For everything. God-- I... I can't say it enough times. I-- I'm fully aware that I really don't deserve your forgiveness but... but I'm sure as fucking hell am grateful I have your friendship again. I missed having my Sunshine in my life." He told her softly, finger once more picking at the label on his beer bottle during his confession.

Watching her for a moment longer, he cleared his throat and looked away, taking another swig of beer. He then glanced over his shoulder to the entrance of the bar, "Where'do you think those two have gone then? Reckon they've stolen away together to go back home and have some hate sex or something?" He questioned with a snort, glancing back to Sunny.

414E52D2-6086-495C-AABA-95E28B93F4C1.gif
If it hadn't been outright terrible, it may have been funny. Lottie thought that he needed the hospital, as if his body wouldn't magically heal anything that was injured in a few days on its own. That was one of the perks of being a werewolf. He shook his head, moving her hands off of his shoulders. He couldn't stand for her to be touching him. Each second could lead him closer to turning again and he couldn't risk her being that close when and if it happened.

His hands held onto hers, lowering them and looking towards her. She was scared. Not because of him, but for him. He had always imagined that if she ever found out or got this close to who he really was that she'd hate him, and even worse, be scared of him. But she was worried about him instead. Dropping her hands, he put a hand on her back and began to gently push her away from the building so they could start walking. He could hear a small crowd still gathered around the man he had hit, but he didn't dare look back in case he caught a scent of the blood his wolf was craving.

"I don't need to go to the hospital, Lottie. I-I need you to just trust me and I'll tell you everything," he said, urging her away from the bar. He felt sick to his stomach, nerves eating away. He knew she wasn't drunk enough to forget all of this in the morning, but he wasn't sure that telling her the truth would truly make things better for her. Maybe he should go to the hospital and let them check him out and then he wouldn't have to explain the situation. Layke shook his head as he thought through the scenarios of how she'd react if he told her. Confusion? Fear? Doubt? Humor? Should he talk to Jaxon first? This would, after all, affect his life as well. It wasn't common for them to tell their secrets to humans, but especially since she was best mates with Jaxon's mate, it could complicate things with him more.

Soon they were back at the house and Layke could still feel himself sweating and shaking out of his control. Moving towards the living room, he began to pace nervously. He had no idea on what to do. While he felt more in control now that he was away from the scene, he wasn't completely sure that he trusted himself around Lottie by himself. Pulling his shirt off and dropping it on the floor beside the couch, he started digging for his phone in his pocket, needing to get Jaxon to help him relax or at least give him an answer on what to do. His hand was shaking when he pulled his phone out of his pocket, staring at the screen as he contemplated what to do.

• • • • •
9F7E4404-0E1A-412C-A319-125F62618F9F.gif
Sunny sat with her knee pulled up against her as she watched Jaxon. His hand reaching towards her may have made her flinch away before, but now it made her sit in anticipation. For so many years she had made him out to be this bad person who had left with no explanation and no reassurance that he was even alive, but he wasn't that. Sure, those things had all happened and it had taken her awhile to forgive him, but he was much more than just that. Even from what they had before he left and what they were building now, she knew he was a good person. She trusted him.

Her cheek pinked up as his finger brushed across them, and she looked away, embarrassed that such a little touch could still give her butterflies after so many years. She wasn't even sure if he thought of her in such a way anymore, or if she thought of him in that way anymore. She knew part of her would always love him, but she wasn't sure if what she was feeling that night was real or just the good memories she let flow back in her mind.

When his apology began again, she looked back up. Sunny had heard him apologize a dozen times already, and she knew he meant them all. She had forgiven him. What he did- for whatever reason she didn't know, he did it because he thought it was the best thing for them. He was wrong, but Sunny couldn't hold a grudge against him anymore. "Jaxon- It's okay. You can stop being sorry. You're here now, and that is what matters," she said, reaching her hand would to squeeze his wrist gently. She pulled her hand back away after a moment, turning to sit straight at the table again.

Laughing at his next comment, she shook her head and looked at him. "Ten dollars says they didn't even make it home," she laughed. Finishing the fruity drink in front of her, she pushed it away and reach for her jacket behind her on the booth seat. "Do you want to head out? Maybe stop and get something to eat?" she asked, looking at him with a cheeky grin. If anyone knew he better than Lottie, it was Jaxon. She was a sucker for greasy food after a night of drinking. Besides, fresh air would help her red cheeks cool off a bit.

Charlotte

Charlotte remained by the lounge entry, body tense as she simply stood there with her eyes on Layke as he moved around. They were wide, easily expressing her concern and anxiety regarding what had happened just moments ago. His eyes had turned yellow. That was not, in any possible way, normal. He was sweating profusely too, as if he had a fever, but he wasn't shivering. So he definitely wasn't ill.

She swallowed thickly as she watched him pull off his shirt, eyes immediately dropping to the bare skin that was now on show. Not in a sexual manner, like she might have done previously, but rather in a medical way, desperately checking for any wounds that may help narrow down what was wrong with him. But as he paced and she was able to get a look at every inch of flesh that was on show, her worry only grew as she failed to find anything.

As he finally stopped to pull out his phone, Lottie took a deep breath and nervously stepped into the room with him. She approached him slowly, hesitantly, clearly unsure as to if she was even wanted.

"Layke... what-- what's going on? You... you said you would tell me. You told me to trust you an-and now I have. So I need you to tell me now: what's going on with you?" She asked gently, attempting to keep the tremors out of her own voice. Upon reaching him, she lifted a hand to rest it on his mobile, pushing it down carefully in order to direct his attention onto her.

His skin was warm to the touch, in a way that made her concerned all over again, "You're-- you're burning up. You're sweating like no tomorrow and-- and your eyes... your eyes they-- they turned yellow, Layke. I know what I saw. And-and you don't want to go to the hospital, god knows why not. So-- so if you don't want me to call an ambulance right now, you... you better start talking."

Jaxon

Smirking at her response regarding their friends, Jaxon drained the last of his beer from the bottle before returning it to the table. He held on to the top of it and gently circled the bottom around on it's edge, eyes remaining on it for a moment. He still couldn't get over the luck they both had, finding their mates the way they had. He just couldn't believe the odds that their mates had walked into their lives at the exact same time, and both were the best of friends.

Just how he couldn't comprehend how lucky he was that Sunny had found her way back into his life.

He supposed he had always known, deep down, that Sunny was always meant to be his. Of course he couldn't have known that for sure when he was still human, since no way did humans have that instinct or sense of who their soulmates were. But thinking back on it, it all really did make sense. They had complimented each other so well, and Jaxon had fallen for Sunny in a way that had made everything else disappear.

Now having her back in front of him... he wasn't going to let her go again.

At her question about getting food, Jaxon focused back onto his unsuspecting mate and grinned, settling the beer bottle down properly. "Of course, I'm always starving, you know that." He answered, reaching behind him to grab his jacket, "And I would've been concerned if you hadn't made an attempt to convince me to get something to eat after the amount of drinks you've had." He teased, standing up to pull his jacket on, zipping it up ready to go against the chill that was settling outside.

"What're you thinking? I know not to come between you and the food you're craving at the best of times, let alone once you've had a drink." Jaxon smirked, motioning for her to lead the way.

0EE5E52E-0F0D-4031-8E91-5A42752FC666.gif
Layke's mind was still running a million miles an hour. He barely heard Lottie speaking until she approached him. He focused on the sound of her voice, hoping it would calm his nerves and relax his tremoring body, but when she reach out for him his instinct was to pull away. He hadn't ever been this close to transitioning in front of anyone before and he was too scared to risk Lottie being close enough for him to hurt her if he somehow got himself worked up again. He did, however, drop his phone down to his side cautiously.

What did he tell her now?

His body turned away from her as she mentioned his skin burning, and then his eyes again. He looked out the patio door and bit his lip as he tapped his phone against his palm nervously. She was being so... herself. He couldn't fault her for it. It was one of the things he had grown to adore about her, but at this moment, it was making things very difficult for him. "Listen Lottie— I just, please just stop for a minute," he said, turning back to her and stepping backwards a few steps. He needed space between them, at least to help clear his mind. Her scent under his nose made it impossible for him to think clearly.

"I- I know I would tell you, but there's nothing to tell. I always run a high temperature and I don't think you saw my eyes turn yellow— it was probably the light behind the bar when I turned around to look at you. I just, I couldn't be near that guy anymore. He-he was an ass and he deserved—" Layke was quick to stop himself, facing away from her again so he wouldn't get himself worked up. "I just didn't like him and I needed to leave, not waste time on calling an ambulance when I didn't get hurt," he grumbled, tapping the mobile against his opposite palm again.

Maybe she would believe him. Maybe there was no need to call Jaxon. It was believable, right? With as much as they had been drinking and it being dark out, the reflection of the bar and street lights could make anyone's eyes look yellow at a glance. And plenty of people ran a high temperature. He finally sat back on the couch, running his hand through his dark hair and then down over the leg of his jeans in a nervous habit. She wouldn't just drop it. Dropping things weren't something Lottie did. His stomach was turning at the thought of telling her the truth, but he wasn't quite sure there was anything else to do.

"Listen, I just— There are things about me you don't need to know. Please just let's eave it at that," he said, looking over towards her.

• • • • •

8142438D-A93D-4999-BE80-281A69DFB70E.gif
Sunny played with the straw in her empty glass, poking at the lime in the bottom as they sat for a few more minutes. She was pleased to hear his excited acceptance to get food, and didn't think for a second before jumping up with him. She laughed as she pulled on her own jacket, zipping it warmly around her. Since she was always cold, she came prepared for the worst.

"Hmm. That's a hard choice, but I think I'm gonna have to go for chili cheese fries," she chuckled, moving out of the booth beside him. As she led their way through the still crowded bar, she stepped out into the cool air and looked around for a moment. Tucking her hands inside her pockets, she began walking down the sidewalk closer to their home.

As they walked, she listened to the sound of loud music and laughter fade and more of the other city noises become more clear. The cars passing, the buzzing of the street lights. She had always been excited to live in a city. The thrill of it always excited her after living in a small area her entire life. It was funny that now she had ended exactly where she would have pictured herself five years prior, minus all of the in between drama. Glancing over towards Jaxon, she smiled a bit and looked back at the ground in front of her. She didn't even need to say anything. It felt just like it was suppose to in that moment.

It only took a few more minutes before they came across a small diner that was still open. She pulled the door open and smelt the melting of cheese, sighing as her nose and fingers instantly began to warm up by the heater. "It smells so good," she said excitedly, nearly jumping on her toes as she hopped to a corner booth. Sitting down and crossing her legs under her bottom, she unzipped her jacket but kept it wrapped around her warmly.

"Huh uh," she said, as Jaxon caught up with her. "You have to sit beside me until I at least warm up," she chuckled, patting the seat beside her. Jaxon had always been a walking heater for Sunny and she always took advantage of it. Tonight would be no different. As soon as he was near her, her body began to warm up a bit, releasing a happy sigh from her.

The waitress brought over menus for the both of them, greeting them with a smile and starting them off with drinks. After she left, Aj looked around the diner as her hands rubbed against the sides of her jeans to warm them up with friction.

It was an adorable little place that she hadn't yet been to. Pictures on the wall dated back to when it first opened, which must have been nearly 80 years ago. The walls remained the same striped as in the photos, but the booths and tables were upgraded. They were now red, black and white with the tiles on the floor checkered. The booth by the counter had single chairs and there was a whole menu just for the different combination milk shakes!

Attachments

• F4BC3B15-1C07-4A10-883D-1845E358BA81.gif
    F4BC3B15-1C07-4A10-883D-1845E358BA81.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 02F699DB-61EC-43E2-BA6D-97F488D3A568.gif
    02F699DB-61EC-43E2-BA6D-97F488D3A568.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 0