4. Advanced
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Primarily Prefer Female
A7455E8D-BCF6-45B7-8F9D-0D3AC815C1D2.gif
It was finally here. The move. School had ended for Aj just the week before, giving her plenty of time to finish packing her current dorm and make the final arrangements with her new roommates. While she had only met one of them, Layke, Aj had a good feeling about the move. She had always been good at sensing when a situation was for the best and the worst, so when she met Layke after seeing his ad looking for a third roommate, she knew that it was meant to be. The third roommate had been working the day she met Layke, so unfortunately she wouldn’t meet him until she actually moved in.

Just like every normal morning for her, Aj had woken up before the sun. She climbed out of her bed and changed into an outfit that wouldn’t get her overheated in the warm, end-of-summer weather while moving, but something not too loose to catch on the boxes as she loaded them into the truck. Stripping her bed of the sheets and blankets to put into her SUV with several other more personal boxes, she got to work. She had convinced her brother to help her move with his truck, but she also had her closest friend helping as well.

Lottie and Sunny, another nickname given to Aurelie, had become instant best friends upon meeting when they first began classes. They were assigned dorm rooms together and had several classes together. Since their freshman year, the two blondes had been nearly inseparable. It was almost heartbreaking to not live with her anymore, although she knew she would be visiting so often she probably couldn’t tell the difference!

It wasn’t long before her brother had pulled up and they began the move. Her two roommates were out for the day as Layke had mentioned they would be, so she was glad she’d have some time to settle in and maybe even look around a bit more before meeting the third roommate. The way Layke has spoken about him, he was a really great guy. She hadn’t even thought to ask his name or she would have at least done some digging, though! Despite the good feeling she got about the new move, it did make her nervous to have never met him. Still though, it was a new adventure. That was what the new part of her life was all about: new adventures!

With her brothers help, Sunny had gotten all of her stuff moved in just a few hours and now only needed to unpack, which thankfully Lottie had volunteered to help with. “I am really excited about this. I just have such a good feeling about the move, and trust me, you will looove Layke! He’s cute too,“ Aj winked towards her friend as she began putting her clothes away in the dresser drawers. She knew that her friend would hate the teasing, but Sunny couldn’t help but make the comment. And to think that it was only the first of many!

Layke said that the other guy— I can’t remember what his name was— worked with him at the same shop. I’m not sure if they own it together or what, but I know he was pretty proud of it. He said they should be back here this evening after their shift, so maybe we can pick up dinner later and you can meet them,“ Aj offered, shrugging as she turned back around to look at her friend. She raised an eyebrow curiously, waiting patiently for a response from Lottie.

Between the two girls and their impeccable organization skills, it didn’t take long for them to finish unpacking the rest of her boxes. After, Aj stored the broken down boxes in the back of her closet, out of her way. She had set her room up exactly how she wanted it, and her bathroom was just how she imagined it as well. The only thing left to do was go snooping around the house to see her new home!

• • • • • •
3EAB4C4C-15FE-47C3-B48D-B3858A08A185.gif

Layke had begun his day opposite of what his normal Saturday looked like. Typically he was out with the boys or they were over by noon doing something, whether working on cars, out running, or even just hanging in the back yard. However, him and Jax had gotten called into overtime to help fix a car for a loyal customer. He didn’t mind. It was what he loved to do. Fixing cars had always been something he was interested in, so it made sense for him to make a career out of it, and that’s exactly what he did.

He was hoping him and Jaxon would have been off that day, mostly because their new roommate was moving in! He had met her after she called about the ad and instantly liked her. Despite her being human and him and Jaxon being werewolves, she was the perfect fit for them. She was young, had a great career so they didn’t have to worry about rent getting paid, and she seemed like she would get along with them both. Jaxon hadn’t even met her yet though, so he was looking forward to helping her move in and the three of them officially meeting. That would just have to wait a few more hours than what he had hoped though.

His working day went by surprisingly quick, though it typically did when he and Jax worked together. When they had first met a few years back, they became good friends. He had just been a werewolf a little longer than him, just about a year, so he knew what it was like to have your entire life turned upside down. It helped the two bond a little more, and he was able to help him learn the ins and outs of being a werewolf— things he had to learn the hard way. Since then, they had always been best buds and eventually moved into this house with another pack member. That was, until he met his mate and moved in with her.

Layke never really imagined having a mate. Since he was turned rather than born as a werewolf, he knew that he may not have one, at least not in the senses that those who were born with the trait did. So since he had never thought about it much, it made sense for him to not worry about finding someone. He was living a good life now anyway. The pack consisted of a handful of guys around his age, so they were always scouting for new girls at bars they went to, and being in his early twenties, that was all he wanted at the moment anyway. The thought of settling down with a mate wasn’t ideal to him.

Where Layke was at in his life was actually, exactly where he wanted to be. He was doing something he loved and was passionate about, had his group of friends that he wouldn’t trade for anything, and was overall happy. Aside from a few small details, such as being a werewolf, his life was exactly how he imagined it would be when he was still a kid growing up. Living his best life, he wasn't sure anything could get any better for him.

Once arriving back to the house with Jaxon, he could see the SUV parked out front, assuming it was their new roommates. ”Well, looks like she’s here. Are you excited to meet her?“ he asked, raising an eyebrow curiously towards his friend. As they walked inside, he went first. He was a few feet ahead of Jaxon after he stopped to shut the door, but a strange scent caught his attention. Of course he had heightened scented as a wolf, however this smell wasn’t something he recognized. It was like an entire new smell all together. “Do you smell that?“ he mumbled, half talking to himself. His ears perked lightly as he heard quiet chatting in the living room.

Turning the corner of the hallway, he saw Aurelia standing, facing him, but another blonde with her back to him. He smiled, holding his hand up to wave as his eyes met AJ’s and she greeted himS “Hey, Layke! Uh, this is my friend, Charlotte. She’s been helping me finish moving in,“ Aj commented, smiling at the tall, dark haired male. Layke walked a bit closer to them to introduce himself to AJ’s friend, but upon greeting he felt his body nearly go numb. Looking into the girls eyes, Charlotte, he instantly knew he had met his mate.

Uh, hi. I’m Layke, it’s nice to meet you,“ he said, his eyes staring down towards hers. It took all he had to remain normal. It wasn’t everyday that you found your mate, especially when she was your roommates best friend. Of course he couldn’t explain this to them. They were humans. Layke looked back at Aj and his hand nervously went to rub the back of his back as his free hand rested on his side, propped up. “I think Jaxon is probably just putting his bag up, but he was right behind me,“ Layke said, turning to watch if his friend was coming the corner.

Jaxon?“ Aurelie asked, her head cocking to the side. It was a common name, but a name that had haunted her for years. Since she was a teenager, anytime she heard the name Jaxon, she held out hope that it would be someone who she had dated in high school and left without explanation. Eventually holding out hope faded, and she began to dread the thought of meeting him again. Although part of her had convinced her brain that she would never see him again, her heart couldn’t help but be curious.

Oh, yeah. He’s our third roommate. You’ll love him, he’s a great guy,“ Layke said with a smile. He looked back towards the hallways, waiting for Jaxon to join him. He knew that Jax could hear them because he could hear Jax on the other side of the wall.

@Viverescribere

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Viverescribere

Charlotte

Rolling her eyes as she stacked her friend's books onto the small bookshelf that was in the room already, Lottie turned back to pick up another lot as she answered: "I'm taking a break from boys, you know that. I don't need another one fucking me over like my last fuck buddy did. Did I tell you that I was Number Two? Honestly, I don't work on this ass just to be second best." Charlotte snorted indignantly but a smirk played on her lips in amusement at her own comment.

"Cute or not, don't you dare try any funny business, Aurelie Jade Conners. I'm serious. We both have medical training, I can make your death look like an accident." She then continued, walking over once she was done with the books to nudge her friend with her hip, still grinning in jest.

Her interest was perked, though, despite what she said. Lottie always had a guilty pleasure for men who knew how to use their hands, so while she said no... that didn't mean she wouldn't window shop and check the guy out. Exceptions could be made, after all.

"S'long as we can get Chinese food. You still owe me from the last time you convinced me to get pizza instead. Obviously I was going to hang around long enough to meet them - I need to vet them, make sure they aren't psychopaths and won't murder you in your sleep."

Once they were done, Lottie took to exploring the new place with her friend, feeling rather jealous about the fact that she hadn't agreed to move into her own place too. She had enjoyed living away from her mom, despite the guilt that came with being the last one to leave home and therefore make the nest empty... but when there was a perfectly good bedroom going free and the agreement was a much lower rent than what was being offered elsewhere, Lottie would have been stupid to say no.

Curiosity and excitement did spike within her as the door finally opened and she watched as AJ got to her feet. Reluctantly, Lottie did the same, turning just as AJ finished speaking.

He was cute, just like Aurelie had promised, and she briefly forgot what she said earlier about taking a break from boys.

Lottie held his gaze easily, offering an almost lazy smile as she nodded to him, "Charlotte, but I guess you can call me Lottie." She responded, even sending a wink in his direction.

She then took a step back to allow the two to converse, partially turning to look out the window with her hands in her back pockets and mind drifting. Today wasn't really about her, this was AJ's moving-in day, so it was better to just keep out of the way for now.

Jaxon

Jaxon had been feeling slightly anxious for the entire day and he wondered if it was something to do with their new roommate moving in. Layke had told him it was a girl, who went by the name of AJ, was either studying to become a doctor or was already one. From that moment on he had wondered if, just if, it could be his AJ from all those years ago. But what would the chances be of that? Of course it was highly coincidental if it was the AJ he once knew and-- and loved, but it had been so long and he had no idea what she was doing now.

His eyes lingered on the SUV, still lost in thought as Layke spoke. "Hm? Oh, uh yeah-- yeah sure." He answered, not really paying attention to what his friend was asking as he clambered out of the car.

The day hadn't been too long, but Jaxon was still eager to wash the slight sweat he had built up from working on the car from his skin. Not to mention the added grease and grime picked up from getting right under the car and into the engine. Despite his new nature, he wasn't exactly a fan of being dirty for any longer than was really necessary. So a warm shower and clean clothes would go down with him. Perhaps they could all get take-out that night too.

He paused himself as they walked through the door, nostrils flaring at the two new scents, but one sticking out more to him. It smelt like... fresh cut grass, a sweetness like-- like maple syrup and... peppermint. Instinctively, Jaxon took in a deep breath and released it with a soft grumble, "Yeah.. I do." He answered, unknown to him that they were both talking about two different things. Blinking a few times, he shook his head before giving Layke a nudge, "I'm just going to put my stuff away, I'll be there in a sec, yeah?"

With that Jaxon strode down the hall to his room, mind still slightly clouded by the scent that had hit him the moment he entered his own home. He licked his lips, releasing another tight breath before organising his stuff and grabbing his towel to sneak into the bathroom. He didn't exactly want to meet this new housemate looking as filthy as he did - first impressions were everything after all.

Soon he was out of the shower, dressed and hair towel dried to the best of his ability. He wandered back down the hall, checking his phone for messages and shoving it into the pocket of his jeans as he turned the corner.

Immediately he froze at the sight of such a familiar face. A face he knew he had caused so much pain for a few years back.

"Aurelie-- Sunny. What--" Jaxon stuttered, jaw dropping in shock. His eyes quickly surveyed her as she became the only thing in the room he could focus on, everything else fading as he fought the urge to reach forward and cup her cheek. Or even just run his fingers through those unruly blonde curls.

His memory of her did her no justice whatsoever. She was more beautiful than he remembered. The scent had been hers, of course it had, and now he was looking at her, Jaxon knew it only meant one thing - she was his mate. Even after all this time. She was supposed to be hers. But he had never expected that, never expected to find someone who would be his mate. Just as Layke felt, Jaxon suspected he would never have one because he had been turned and not born.

But here was Sunny. His Sunny.

"Wait a second-- Is this the Jaxon?" A voice broke through his thoughts, interrupting the inner turmoil he was experiencing.

Jaxon reluctantly tore his gaze away from AJ to look to the girl beside her. The other girl's stance was defensive, arms folded across her chest but a glare on her features as her gaze rolled up and down Jaxon's body. Immediately Jaxon felt his anxieties rise back up, eyes darting back to AJ and he rubbed the back of his neck.

Clearly their past had been explained to the girl beside AJ, whose name Jaxon still wasn't sure of.

He cleared his throat, hand lowering for both to be shoved into his front pockets, shoulders hunching forward and expression sheepish and embarrassed, "I guess this... this wasn't exactly the best way to see each other for the first time in however many years, huh?"

Hex Code (Jaxon): #9a7f7e
Hex Code (Lottie): #506e68

56BBB45C-239F-4E66-B8DF-E899EDCD0CF4.gif
Aj couldn’t help but catch the small wink that Lottie sent towards Layke. She held in a stifled chuckle, knowing her friend just couldn’t help it. She only hoped they wouldn’t end up hooking up and ending on bad terms, seeing as how she would be living there for at least a year until she got out of the lease. Lottie was smart though, and would never put her in a situation like that. Aj knew she didn’t have to worry about that.

She wasn’t sure how long the third roommate would be, but once the name was said, her anxiety began to peak again. She knew that the chances of it being the same Jaxon was nearly impossible. That didn’t mean her mind didn’t stop wondering. “Lottie pretty much demanded to hang around and meet you guys before she left. We were going to grab takeout in a few minutes, actually. We can pick you guys up something if you’re hungry!“ Sunny said, quick to change the subject. “We were thinking Chinese?“ she said, raising a curious eyebrow towards Layke. Smiling at his response, she looked past him as she heard someone coming down the hallway.

Her smile fell from her cheeks as she saw the man walking towards her. Her entire body felt like it was frozen again, taken back to the last few memories she had with the person she had loved. It was her Jaxon after all. “Jaxon?“ she said, her mind still not believing that after all these years, he would end up being the only Jaxon she didn’t want him to be. It had taken her a long time to move on from the heartbreak he caused her, so now him just appearing in front of her was almost unbearable for her to accept.

She heard his voice speak up, cutting a sharp piece into her heart. For years she wanted to hear his voice again, but now it was almost painful. Her eyes darted away from him at her name coming off his lips, and she looked at Lottie, who had obviously caught on. She had never told anyone else about Jax when she moved onto college. She wanted it to be a new beginning for her, but Lottie soon learned the truth after several late night confessions between the two when they became close.

She was going to speak. Maybe introduce Lottie to Jaxon, or Jaxon to her. But when she opened her mouth to speak, no sound came out. Aj was in complete shock. Millions of memories and regrets and questions and thoughts running through her mind as she let it settle into her brain that Jaxon was alive and well.. and her new roommate. She wasn’t sure what to say or who to say it to. All she knew was that there was too much for her to sort out at that moment.

His words broke the silence after a few moments, and her eyes darted back towards him as his hands pushed into his front pocket, a gesture she had remembered from years before. “Um, yeah,“ she said quietly. “This is Lottie, she’s a friend of mine,“ she said, sighing as she bit down hard on her bottom lip— a nervous tendency she had developed. “And yes, we went to school together,“ she confirmed. While school was the simplest way to explain the situation, Lottie already knew everything. She wasn’t sure how much Layke knew, or if he knew any at all. Jaxon was the one that left, after all. Who knew if he even thought of her after he left until now when they met again. Part of Aj felt pathetic as she came to terms with this, and frankly, it wasn’t something she felt like discussing at the time.

I think we were just heading out, right?“ she asked, turning her body towards Lottie. She raised her eyebrows, warning her friend not to cause a scene—something she wouldn’t let go past her, especially knowing the situation.

• • • • • •

A9238BCA-9A46-45F2-BB14-4828689C576C.gif
Layke was pleasantly surprised by the friends introduction. Lottie, huh? He had to admit it was a name that definitely matched her appearance. Her wink sent slight chills down his back as he smirked a little in return. She seemed flirty enough, maybe it wouldn’t be too hard to get into her good grace. Once Aj and him started chatting, he tried to keep his focus off of Lottie beside them. He didn’t want to come off as weird by staring at her, but his eyes were begging to look at hers.

The thought of food sounded delicious, so once Aj brought it up, he was quick to not his head. “Oh yeah, we’d love that! I don’t think either one of us ever turn down Chinese. In fact, aside from that and pizza I don’t think we eat much else,“ he laughed along with Aj. “Oh, there he is,“ Layke said, turning to move out from in front of Aj so that she could see Jaxon. Catching sign of his friends appearance though, he had a feeling that something was definitely wrong. His eyebrows furrowed as he tried to see what he was missing.

When Aj spoke up, asking his name, she almost sounded like she knew him from somewhere. Had they met before? Surely not. Layke told Jaxon that her name was Aj. Although Jaxon’s nexts words sunk down on him. Sunny was the girl Jaxon had ran from just shortly before they met a few years back. She must have been called Sunny as well as Aj, and that was where the confusion came in. But if this girl was Sunny, that meant...

Layke stepped back a bit, quiet awkwardly as he was unsure of what to say. His attention turned to his new found mate as she spoke. You could hear the defensiveness and almost annoyed sound in her voice, but her appearance gave it away easily. If this wasn’t something between his best friend and ex, he probably would have found her stance to be adorable, however he knew that Jaxon did what he had to do to protect Aj, which they didn’t know and couldn’t because they couldn’t know what they were.

He felt himself getting a little defensive as well, but knew it wasn’t his place to put himself in the middle of it. After Aj spoke up again, he could tell she was uncomfortable, and had good reasons to be as well. It was awkward for everyone, but Jax and Aj more so. He wasn’t really sure what to say, so he didn’t bother saying anything. What was he suppose to say? No, don’t go? He hadn’t even had time to wrap the situation around his head, so he knew neither of them did either.

Looking over at his friend for a reaction, he waited for a reaction or a move from someone else, not sure where anyone stood.

Last edited:

Jaxon

Watching the variety of emotions flash through AJ's eyes was torture to Jaxon, who could only stand there knowing he was the cause behind the pain and hurt he was witnessing. He wanted nothing more than to step forward and bring AJ into his arms, just to feel her against him one more time. He had taken that for granted, all those years ago, just being able to hold her. And he had long accepted that it would never happen again. It would be childish and naive for him to think it could, and with her reaction... Jaxon's shoulders fell with his guilt.

He knew he hadn't handled things well, back when they were together in high school. He had been a complete asshole and treated AJ poorly in the last few weeks before he had left. While he had never hit her, he had yelled and berated her, punching walls and breaking pictures. He had still acted violent and aggressive in her presence as he fought with an onslaught of overwhelming emotion. He wished her could go back and explain to her what he was going to do; that he was leaving and why he was. But he felt it was better for everyone to just leave without a word - that with his recent behaviour, it would be a relief more than an upset.

Clearly, things hadn't turned out exactly as he had thought.

Jaxon kept himself from stepping forward, wanting to reach out to brush his thumb along her lower lip so she would stop biting on it. He didn't remember the habit, and wondered what else she had been through in order to develop it. There was so little, he realised, that he knew about her now. He had wanted to keep in touch, to keep track of her to see how she was doing... but each time he thought about reaching out, he remembered how badly he had treated her and withdrew once again, too anxious about hurting her again.

His eyebrows knitted together as she turned to the other girl, Lottie, and mentioned leaving. His mouth opened to protest, but no noise came out. What could he say? He doubted she would want to speak to him right at that very moment. It was a very overwhelming situation, for both of them-- hell, for all of them. Her friend Lottie looked ready to punch him out and Layke looked as confused as Jaxon felt.

"You-- You look beautiful, Aurelie."

He felt stupid the moment the words left his mouth, but it needed to be said and he had no other idea on what else to say.

He took the smallest step toward AJ, eyes darting briefly to Lottie who matched the step to become closer to AJ, but then decided to ignore the other girl to focus on Sunny. "Look I-- I know this is really... weird, for the both of us. But-- but just give me a chance to explain, AJ, please? I owe you that much, I know that. Let me explain-- whenever you're ready."

Charlotte

Lottie stood protectively at her friend's side, eyeing the young man in front of her with an air of disgust and anger having heard all that had happened. While she too was in disbelief at the odds, that the Jaxon AJ had told her all about was right here and, sod's law, her new roommate, Lottie was all too aware of the boiling rage she had toward him. She had no patience and no time for those who had hurt her friends or her family, regardless if it was during a time where Lottie didn't even know the person.

She snorted softly at his compliment, eyebrow raising in amusement but her jaw still clenched at the nerve of the young man in front of her. But given AJ's look a moment ago, she bit her tongue and averted her gaze lest she said something that would end up with her falling out with her best friend too.

Her eyes, perhaps naturally, were drawn to where Layke stood. She allowed them to run over him briefly before she realised that perhaps this guy knew about Jaxon and AJ's history too. If that was the case, what sick fuck allowed his friend's ex to move in to their place? Was this some pathetic joke they were trying to play on AJ? Or was he just trying to play some fucked-up matchmaker?

Immediately her mood soured toward the second young man in the house and her eyes narrowed in her displeasure. What a shame, he was attractive and there was... just something about him that drew her to him. But now she'd have to fight that and never see what would have come of it. She wasn't about to fuck AJ over like that. Not a chance.

At the sound of Jaxon's last sentence, Lottie laughed humorlessly, head turning back to face the pair, "Not a fucking chance in hell." She shook her head, "No. Nope. Nope and no." She turned to face AJ, hoping to get her friend's attention, "Let's go, we can get food and you can stay at mine tonight to think things through." She didn't care about speaking out loud about AJ not staying the night at a place she was now paying rent at.

The last thing Lottie wanted was for AJ to be alone in this house with her ex who clearly left some emotional issues behind and a guy who also had to have known what was going on.

Jaxon was frowning at this point, looking from Layke and then to the two girls, "Maybe you should let AJ decide where she wants to stay-"

"Maybe you should fuck off." Lottie bit back, matching his frown with a scowl of her own.

E95679DF-9E1A-4C1A-AB82-DCC9D49344A7.gif
Her emotions were all over the place and all she could manage to think was about how she just so desperately needed some fresh air to breathe. The emotions and tension in the room was beginning to make her heart race, and Aj could feel herself beginning to panic. She hated being in confrontations, and often found herself overwhelmed and emotions flowing when she was in a situation like this.

All she needed was some fresh air and she would be fine again. She was beginning to nudge against Lottie to push her towards the hallway door so they could leave, but Jaxon’s voice distracted her again. His compliment echoed through her mind, and her eyes stayed glued to the carpet floor until they shot to her friend, warning her to not start something. By this point, AJ’s hands were beginning to shake, just barely, and she knew that any longer and the others may begin to tell, which was the last thing she wanted.

Her body tensed again as Jaxon stepped towards her, eyes flashing up to him. Her face was straight, but her heart was dropping. The last time she had even been this close to Jaxon was just before he left without an explanation. There had been tears and yelling, things being thrown and holes punched in walls. It was not the Jaxon she had always known, but it was the Jaxon she was now remembering.

At his move towards her, she was thankful for Lottie’s step between them. She moved backward, further from him and avoided his gaze again. As he asked for a chance to explain, part of her considered it. For years she had hoped and begged and prayed to any god that could have possibly been real to send her something to know that Jaxon was okay. Despite all he did and the trauma he left her with, she just wanted to know that he was safe, wherever he was. A chance at a real explanation was exactly what she had always wanted—needed. But she wasn’t sure anymore.

Lottie spoke up for her though, immediately denying Jaxon. She looked at her friend as she suggested staying with her that night, which the old Aj would have immediately abided by, although she didn’t want to keep running away. Not like he did.

She knew he had made a deadly mistake by arguing with Lottie, speaking up for Aj to make a decision, and she wasn’t surprised at her friends harsh reply. “No, Lottie. It’s fine. I don’t-I don’t know right now. Let’s just go,“ she said, pulling her back by the arm, knowing that she would be quick to fight, despite how tiny she was. She just needed some fresh air and to be away from Jaxon. She almost needed to be away from her friend as well. Just somewhere she could be with fresh air and quietness to clear her mind and sort her emotions out. For now, she would focus on getting out fo the house.

She pushed Lottie towards the hallway softly, following behind her and avoiding Jaxon’s gaze again, still not saying anything to him since questioning his true reappearance. What was she suppose to say? How was she suppose to react? She had never imagined actually seeing him again, so all the things she thought she’d say just seemed wrong.

Making her way towards Lottie’s car, she got into the passenger seat and shut the door, carefully putting her seatbelt on and sitting back in the seat, not dare show any sign of emotion until she was far enough away from the house that she was sure Jaxon couldn’t see her. “Shit,“ she mumbled, her hand reaching for her forehead as thought began flooding her mind.

Last edited:

Charlotte

Lottie held Jaxon's gaze for a moment, a muscle in her jaw jumping as she refused to let her friend go through all that pain once more. In her eyes, Jaxon didn't deserve AJ's forgiveness, nor did he deserve to have AJ listen to have any pitiful excuse he had for what he had put her through all those years ago. Only when she felt AJ take her arm from behind did she tear her gaze away from the young man to look at her friend.

Reluctantly, she backed down and allowed AJ to direct her toward the hallway and then the front door. She opened it, allowing AJ to escape first before turning her attention on the two males within. In that moment, Lottie was incapable of voicing her deep anger and disgust so instead sent them both a final glare before purposefully slamming the door hard behind her.

Unlocking the car so AJ could climb in, Lottie cast a final glance to the house to ensure that Jaxon hadn't followed them before getting into the vehicle herself.

She sent a quiet look in her friend's direction, but instead of saying anything, she started driving. Lottie waited for a few minutes, not wanting to interrupt whatever was going through Sunny's mind but she did look to her friend from the corner of her eye on occasion. She opened her mouth, but no words came out so she closed it again.

Eventually she was able to formulate some sort of sentence and cleared her throat, reaching for the stick to change gears, "AJ-- if you want to stay at mine tonight, you're more than welcome to. You know that. I just-- after everything you've told me, I don't like the idea of you being in that house with those two assholes."

Jaxon

Jaxon's nature didn't appreciate the clear challenge this Lottie girl was presenting him by holding his gaze and partially blocking the view of his mate. While a small part of him was comforted that Sunny had a clearly strong and protective friend by her side, in that moment, that protective friend was in the way of his mate. It had taken all his control to remain calm, even if tension had built up in his shoulders.

He had noticed AJ's reaction to his step forward, and it pained him to even have to consider what sort of memories she was thinking back on. The urge to bring her into his arms and comfort her was stronger than ever, and the fact that she was reaching for her friend rather than him stabbed hurt into his chest.

She wouldn't even look at him, eyes averted from his and body completely closed off to him. Yet he took a step out of the way, clearly not at all helping the situation and not wanting to cause his mate any more discomfort.

His eyes followed the retreating figures of the two girls until the door was slammed shut, his eyes closing and a breath expelling from his chest at the sound and at the nerve of Lottie to do such a thing.

Jaxon moved to sit on the edge of the sofa, elbows on knees and face in hands. He released a pained groan, rubbing his hands over his face before flopping back against the sofa with a low growl; eyes closed and one hand pressed against forehead as the other rested on his thigh.

"Fuck." He muttered, eyes squeezing tightly shut before he abruptly leaned forward again, hands slipping into his hair, "Fuck, man. What are the fucking odds that you've got my ex - and my fucking mate - to live with us. This is a fucking nightmare. I never-- I never imagined, in a million years, that this would ever happen."

He looked up to Layke, eyebrows knitted together, "What am I going to do?"

CBFE8CFF-BD98-4817-81D3-362CDB3DF523.gif
Once the thoughts began to flood her mind, Aj wasn’t sure how to sort them all. It had been years since she thought she would ever truly see him again. She had given up hope a long time ago. The part of Aj that held onto hope was relieved to see him, glad to know that he was safe and doing well for himself. The part of her that had fought so hard to let go of him burned in her chest as she relaxed that he was safe and doing well, and still hadn’t reach out. Of course the heartbreak of him leaving was difficult to handle, but she never got an explanation.

One day, Jaxon was the love of her life. They were happy and planning a future and having fun. She never imagined a day without him. Then suddenly he became this...person who destroyed things. He became angry and distant, often throwing things and punching walls. He would yell and say things to her that burned holes in her heart. And then, just as quickly as he had changed on her, he disappeared. Despite how he made her feel the last few months she saw him, Sunny cared deeply for Jaxon and just wanted to ensure he was safe and okay. For years, even still then, she had worried about his safety.

Now she realized that he was safe, a part of her was angered because he let her worry about him for so long without even a simple letter to ensure his safety.

AJ’s eyes were burning and she could feel her hands trembling as she tried to grasp whether what had just happened was true. Had Jaxon really stood just a mere six feet from her after all these years? Her eyes turned towards her friend eventually, her thoughts coming to a stop at the sound. Aj just looked at her, her mouth not opening for a response. She wasn’t sure what she would even say, torn from the decisions.

For years Aj had just wanted an explanation. Something to tell her what had happened, if she had done something wrong. She had begged and pleaded, asking for some reassurance that Jaxon, the boy she once loved, was safe. No matter how long she searched, or how many times she prayed, Sunny never got her answers. Now, they were living in the bedroom across the hall. She owed it to herself to hear his explanation. To understand why he did what he did, and to have closure on that part of her life. But so much of her was scared for the explanation. She had several years to dwell on possibilities, and none of the options seemed worth confirming.

On the other hand, Aj had worked hard to move past that part of her life. She had moved on and was successful. She had gone to school, was becoming a doctor, and had a happy life. Would allowing him back in her life as a roommate ruin that for her? Would bringing baggage from the past into her future ruin all she had built for herself?

When Jaxon began acting different, there were so many things about him that changed. His attitude, his stance, his emotions, his mindset. When he would get angry, she could see his body begin to adapt to the anger. His face would become red, his lips perched, his fists swelled. The only thing that never changed, no matter what was happening, was his eyes. His eyes always held such a kindness in them, that Aj thought they were actually why she held on so long. His eyes showed the same boy she had first met and had a crush on many, many years ago. Even after all these years, that kindness and softness was still there.

Whether or not she would get the answers she wanted, Sunny knew that she couldn’t run away from this. Her life was on track and exactly where she wanted it to be, aside from a few minor details. Aj couldn’t let Jaxon’s reappearance back into her life ruin all she had worked so hard for since he had left. She wasn’t interested in hearing his explanation right now, and she wasn’t sure she ever would be. She did know, however, that a lot had changed about her since she last saw him. She wasn’t the timid, young girl who he had once known. She knew what she wanted, and had a strong voice. Aj had allowed him to break her once, but she couldn’t allow the same to happen this time.

She would go back to the house and she would stay there. She would pretend that he didn’t exist, or that he had never known her in a previous life. She would act like he was a stranger, and in many ways, he was. Whatever happened and however it went, Sunny knew that this time it would be on her terms.

I can’t,“ Aj said, finally. Her eyes had managed to roam back towards the window where she was watching the houses slowly pass by. “I need to go back. I have worked to hard to give up,“ Sunny said, looking back at her friend. She was so thankful for such a supportive friend, even when sometimes it was a bit much. Despite her sassy attitude, Aj knew she had a friend for life. “But let’s go get some food, I’m starving,“ she said with a small smile, looking back towards the dash.

~ ~ ~

Despite having her mind made up, Aj wasn’t exactly eager to head back to the house. She knew that Jaxon had wanted to talk to her and she was afraid that he would be awake still when she got home. Although she could always have Lottie join her, she knew that would likely be a terrible idea, and didn’t feel like dealing with a fight between Lottie and whoever got in her way. It was nearly the next morning when she finally came back.

She had asked Lottie to just drop her off in the drive way, not wanting to cause any drama by asking her to come inside. Not that night. After digging her legs out to unlock the front door, Aj shut the door quietly and slowly, watching her friend in the driveway. After a small breath to steady herself, Sunny slowly turned around and made her way down the entry way. Thankfully, her room was just down the hall, so she didn’t have to walk through the entire house to get to her door. She just wasn’t sure whether the room down her hall was Layke’s or Jaxon’s. Either way, she hoped she was quiet enough to not wake either if they were sleeping.

Once inside her room, Aj shut the door quietly and turned to press her back against the wood. Her eyes closed slightly and she let a breath out that she had been holding since unlocking the front door. It would be a long lease until Aj was able to sort out her emotions.

• • • • •

59874D3B-6931-41A9-9DDC-A94653E30774.gif
Layke had watched everything slowly unravel before his eyes. Dots were being connected, and slowly everything had came together. This was the girl that Jaxon had known when he was first changed, the girl that Jaxon was so afraid of hurting when they first met. Of course, at the time, there was no way Jaxon would have known that Sunny was his mate. Typically those who were turned did not have mates, and if they did, it was not as easily known as those who were born with the gene. Aside from that, Jax had no idea who— or what he was.

He was out of control and leaving at that time was the best thing for him and everyone he cared about. Once he had been better controlled, Layke had nearly suggested he reach out to his family, but knew that there was always the risk of lashing out again. It was a big fear of many of the younger wolves, and Layke didn’t want either of them to end up in that situation. Now he was afraid that not reaching out once he was better in control may have caused deeper trauma than him leaving in the first place.

Despite that, he stood behind his friend still. They could never explain to the two girls, whether mates or not, that the reason he left was because he was afraid of killing her. Leaving was the best thing for Jax at that time, and although he was sure it was traumatic for Aj, it would have been much worse if Jaxon had stayed and lost control. Of course they would never understand that, though.

His eyes followed everyone’s moves, his muscles tensing at the anger and confusion in the room. He was afraid that Lottie was going to lash out at any minute or that Jaxon would rip through her and to Aj just as quickly. Everything seemed to be frozen until the door finally slammed shut and shook him from his daze. Watching as his friend take a seat, confused and full of emotion, Layke stared after his own mate. What were the chances? Both of their mates here, best friends, and one as a roommate—assuming she didn’t move out the next day.

Nothing,“ Layke said after a few moments. Sitting on the chair across from Jaxon, he propped his ankle onto his knee and leaned back, tapping his foot lightly. “Just give her some space. You left for a good reason, but a reason that she will never understand.“ Layke wasn’t sure what else to say. He was just as confused as his friend, unfortunately, and just as torn. His mate was AJ’s best friend. She was sure to be just as pissed at him as she was Jaxon just by association, and he didn’t blame either one of them. While being a wolf had some perks, human relationships never got easy, especially when your mate was one.

As much as it sucks, I think the only thing we can do is give them time. Who knows what she will decide, but we have to let her decide it,“ he said, knowing that this was not their call to make, no matter how much the wolf part of them called to go after their mates.

~ ~ ~

Layke spent the rest of the afternoon mostly hanging around the house. His wolf was on edge the entire time, urging him to find his mate, unsure of where she was at or if she was safe. As much as it was painful for him to not, Layke knew he had to have self control. He hardly wanted a mate at this point in his life, but yet here he was, finding her. He had to stay in control of his wolf though.

While some people did tell their mates about being a wolf, even if their mate was a human, it wasn’t very popular and was usually frowned upon. The less people who knew, the better. In fact, Layke only knew one human who knew what they were, and that was the mate of another member of the pack, and it took a lot of convincing to okay her being a part of the group. Besides, Layke didn’t want her to know. It was too dangerous and too much trouble to get her involved. She was his mate after all, and despite wanting her with him at all times, he was drawn to protect her, even from himself.

His entire body felt different after first meeting Lottie. His scenes were even stronger than before, and it was almost as if his body could feel the way hers was. He could sense when she was getting angry or when she was calming down. He wasn’t sure how, but he was. The minute the car turned onto the block, Layke could scenes Lottie getting nearer. His skin was a growing tingling sensation and his hearing focused in on her words and the sound of her breathing. Once they were in the driveway, it was almost as if she was right beside him, despite the different locations.

The wolf inside of him began to whine as he heard her car pulling away, but Layke knew that tonight was not the night to get Lottie onto his good side. Besides, he had a lot to consider before attempting a relationship with a human.

Last edited:

Jaxon

Of course Jaxon was still awake by the time AJ returned home. However he didn't make any attempt to talk to her or try to win her over. Instead he lay in bed, staring up the ceiling with an arm behind his bed and the other resting over his shoulder. Without realising it, the young werewolf held his own breath as if that would allow him to hear his mate better. Even if she was simply walking to her room. He could imagine how she would be behaving in that moment, based on the way her own breathing was non-existent, the hesitant steps and the slow shutting of the front door when she first came back in.

It was a relief to him to know where she would be though, and to know that she was safely back in the flat where he could protect her if necessary. His instincts had been going wild, his wolf growling in displeasure at the knowledge of having been so close to AJ before, that she should be so far away. Without recognising it himself, Jaxon now realised that there was that innate part of him - perhaps his wolf - who really knew who AJ was. So after so many years apart from her, to find her and then be forced away from her again, hurt.

He released his breath in time to the sigh she heard from her room, his hand raising from his stomach to rub over his face before he reluctantly rolled over. Sleep hadn't come while AJ had still been out doing God knows what, but perhaps it would come now he knew she was safe.

The next morning Jaxon had risen early, his nerves and wolf too on edge with all that had been revealed the day before to sleep for much longer. He had gone on a morning jog, needing to release some of his anxious energy despite having said he would workout with Layke after work that day.

After showering and changing, Jaxon left the bathroom while brushing his teeth to flip the kettle on and grab mugs from the cupboard. He left his and Layke's mugs on the counter, the two newly-made drinks sitting there for a moment. Easily remembering her preferred morning brew, Jaxon created the concoction before carefully carrying it to AJ's bedroom door. He set it down cautiously to the side of the door, so if she were to walk out... she wouldn't knock it over or kick it. With a knock to her door, Jaxon was quick to retreat to the bathroom in order to finish brushing his teeth.

Charlotte

Lottie wasn't best pleased about leaving her friend the night before, wanting nothing more than to have an impromptu sleepover even if it was to make sure her best friend was okay and that the two assholes would leave her alone.

But if there was anything she knew by now, it was when AJ needed her space... and when the girl could be strong and hold her own. This occasion put that knowledge to the test and Lottie reluctantly fell silent with her protests to AJ wanting to go back to the house. Lottie had so countless times that she was welcome to stay whenever, and that she would have her phone on loud should AJ need to call her.

So naturally, with that worry in mind and the knowledge of the history between AJ and Jaxon had Lottie at the house at a decent time the next morning. While Lottie wasn't sure what AJ had planned for the day, she had brought pretty much everything she could think of for every scenario. Study stuff, movies, even a bag packed with a swimming costume and a towel. She was prepared, as Lottie liked to be. She didn't enjoy surprises or being caught off guard, so being organised and prepared helped her to avoid that.

Pulling over and parking, Lottie soon hopped out of the car and locked it with a click of her keys, not looking back as she walked up to the door. It was closing in on 9.00am, so she knew that AJ would be waking up or be awake already by this time.

Knocking, Lottie waited at the door, curiously wondering herself what she would do if either of the assholes opened the door to her instead of her friend. Even if her interested had spiked at AJ's delicious-looking new roommate Layke, the fact that he was this Jaxon's friend, he knew everything. And that was enough to put him on her No-Hit List.

Last edited:
F890B816-82FF-4190-81E1-A5EABB04D166.gif
Aurelia didn’t dare leave her room that night. She had too many emotions flowing through her and honestly wasn’t even sure if she knew what she would even say to Jaxon if she ran into him in the house, which was very possible seeing as how the house was not that big. Instead, once she shut the door behind her, her body muscles relaxed and she moved to her dresser where she had already unpacked her clothes. Sorting through the drawer, she pulled a pair of her pajamas from the bin and changed, tossing her clothes from the day into her hamper.

Now dressed in her pajama outfit, a pair of light gray and yellow shorts and a matching shirt, she slipped on some fuzzy socks to keep her warm and took a seat at the little desk she had sat up for herself. Neither homework nor studying seemed to be interesting to Aj, so instead she turned to her journal. A habit she had started when she was young and wasn’t willing to give up. She wrote in the book everyday, at least until the pages were full and she moved on to another.

Every bit of her day was engulfed inside the two thick binders, holding her life story. Everything that happened to her, every significant person she had met, every trip she had taken, and so much more. Any emotion she had was poured into the book. Love, loss, anger, hurt, lust, happiness, awe, excitement and even mourning. Always having difficulty opening up to people made it easy for her emotions and stories to come out on paper. To know that she could get everything off her chest and shoulders and no one would have to be bothered.

It was nearly three in the morning before Aj finally finished writing. As she ended with the date, she closed the book and tied the strings of it shut. Slipping it into her nightstand drawer, she made her way into the large, warm bed and closed her eyes to rest.

~~~

Aurelia hated mornings. To say that she wasn’t a morning person was an understatement. She would sleep all day, everyday if she could, but when it came time for her to wake up, Aj just couldn’t stand it. So despite the sun shining through her light curtains, the blonde haired girl was fast asleep through the morning. In fact, she didn’t wake up until she heard a knock to her door.

Rolling over in the bed, her hand reaching to rub her tired eyes and a yawn escaping her lips, she looked around the room she was in and remembered the day she had had. A sigh softly escaped her lips as she contemplated what she should do for the day. Thankfully she was off for the next two days from work so she could finish settling in, however she wasn’t sure she wanted to be now. She couldn’t stay in her room forever, her bladder already begging to be emptied, and she knew without her morning coffee she would never survive whatever day she was sure Lottie had planned.

Grabbing her phone, ready to call her friend to see what she wanted to do, she noticed the familiar car already sitting outside in the drive. Suddenly remember that there was a knock to her door just a few moment before, she realized it must have been her friend. Jumping out of the bed, dressed in the same outfit she went to bed in, minus the fuzzy socksAj opened her door and was disappointed to not see her friend. Her eyebrows furrowed together, confused, but her head bowed down and saw a mug.

Reaching down to pick it up, she held it under her nose to smell the fresh coffee she had been drinking for years. Taking a small sip of the concoction, Aj made her way down the hallway and towards the living room. She could hear movement in the entry way, and turned to glance at her friends voice. Smiling softly at her, knowing whatever was in her bags was plenty prepared for whatever type of trouble they wanted to get into that day. “Morning,“ she said softly, still waking up.

Aj was surprised to see both Lottie and Layke standing in the entry way, but she assumed he had just answered the door. She knew that despite her friend trying to be supportive and protective, Layke likely hadn’t gotten the nicest creating, even with his best efforts. She loved Lottie, but her sassyness was not easy to take, especially when she had it out for you. “I just woke up,“ she said, chuckling a little. She knew her friend would likely not be surprised, as Aj was typically not awake until later mornings, or until she had to be at least.

Um, I was just going to grab something to eat really quick, do you want anything?“ Aj said, walking towards the kitchen. She grabbed an orange, one of her favorite fruits, and a chocolate chip muffin she had made before leaving her old apartment. Sitting at the table and crossing her legs, she began peeling the fruit and taking pieces of the orange to eat. “I think it’s probably a good idea to get out of the house again today,“ she said quietly towards her friend. Despite not seeing Jax yet that morning and Layke not being in the room, she still didn’t want either to over hear them chatting.

Just to get some space, ya know?“ she said, sipping her coffee slowly. “I was kind of thinking we could go down to the river. I can make some sandwiches and pack some water for us, and we can go hike that trail and go swimming in the spring. Or we could stay in and watch movies in my room... just don’t let me eat all of my snacks,“ she said with a chuckle. Despite wanting to stay in her bed and ignore her problems, watching sad romance movies, Aj knew that she couldn’t dwell on the situation. Going out and having fun was her best option.

• • • • •
302BFFDF-97A7-4238-9A36-CCAA1C7F4938.gif
Layke had always been a night owl, so when he heard the car pull into the drive late at night to drop Aj off, he was still sitting up in the living room scrolling through the games on his phone. Sure that his friend would try to talk to her, he stayed quiet as the door opened and she quietly made her way to the room she now occupied. He waited, listening for his friend to make a move now that his mate was back in arms length, but was surprised that he didn’t.

It was a few hours later when Layke finally headed to his own bedroom on the other side of the house, where he finally went to sleep.

~~~

The next morning, Layke woke to the sound of who he assumed to be Jaxon moving around the house. After awhile he left, presumably taking a jog to let some steam off. Now that he was awake, there was no way he was going back to sleep anytime soon, despite only getting a few hours of sleep. So jumping from his bed, Layke jumped in the shower just a door down from his room and changed into a pair of jogging shorts and a tank top. Drying his shaggy hair in the dark towel he had, Layke then made his way towards the kitchen where he was going to figure out what to cook for breakfast, always loving to make a big breakfast. Plus, he hoped it would at least help ease the awkwardness with Aj.

Once his friend got home, Layke was plopped on the couch where he greeted him with a nod, watching as he walked down his hallway and heard the shower turn on. By the time he came out to make the coffee, Layke was working on breakfast, deciding on making pancakes, bacon and eggs. As he was mixing the batter up and frying the eggs, he noticed Jaxon pull a third mug down. His eyebrows pushed together in confusion, not sure if it was his friends way of working towards forgiveness or if he had missed something and was already forgiven.

Have you two talked yet?“ he asked, raising a curious eyebrow. After a response, he just nodded and continued mixing the blueberry pancake mixture up in the bowl. He was just about to begin making the pancakes when a knock on the door interrupted him. His ears perked as a familiar scent wafted through the air and he realized it must have been Lottie who had knocked. Glancing behind him and out the window, his eyes confirmed her car being parked in the front of the house.

He knew that she didn’t seem very happy last night, with either him or Jaxon, so he was surprised she had came over and not just had Aj go to her. He didn’t mind though— despite how much he didn’t want to want her, he did. Having her near him made his entire skin burn with lust.

Making his way towards the door where he opened it to see the beautiful girl, he smiled with his white teeth and shifted a bit so she could come on. “Hey,“ he greeted softly, not sure whether she would bite his head off again or if she would toss him another wink. “I haven’t seen Aj yet, I think she’s still in bed. You’re welcome to come in and hang out or go to her if you want,“ he offered, shutting the door behind her. “Also, if you’re one of AJ’s friends, you don’t have to worry about knocking. Just come on in, you’re always welcome,“ he said.

Despite knowing she was mad still, it didn’t stop him from being nice to her. Not necessarily because of that, but because whether he liked it or not, she was his mate. Even through denying it, it would always come back to her. He just hoped one day the whole awkwardness would get sorted out, seeing as how it would make a long life of misery if both of their mates hated the boys. “You look great today,“ he said suddenly. Realizing how random and almost awkward it felt to say, he turned just in time to see Sunny walk around the corner and greet them. “Ahh, there she is. Good morning, Sunshine,“ he joked, smiling at Aj.

He followed a bit behind them as they walked through the kitchen and then took a seat at the table a room over. Despite their whispers, his hearing permitted him to hear their discussed plans for the day. Trying not to ease drop, a terrible habit he had developed with his wolf abilities, he began making some pancakes and stacking the food on the serving platters. After a few minutes, the breakfast was finished and he turned off all of the burners to let them cool.

I made breakfast if anyone wants some,“ he called loudly, making sure both the girls and Jaxon would hear him. Making himself a plate piled high of the delicious smelling food, Layke moved into the dining room with a glass of apple juice in hand. “Mind if I join you guys?“ he asked with a smile, sitting his plate on the table beside Lottie. He looked between the two girls, and sat once he got a returned nod from his new roommate. “You guys got any good plans for the weekend?“ he asked, hoping to make easy conversation to smooth over the day befores surprise.

Charlotte

Despite the overwhelming feeling of annoyance at Layke opening the door, Lottie couldn't help but feel a little bit of pleasure at being able to see his face again. While she could be pissed off at him due to his association with Jaxon, she knew he was attractive. If the situation wasn't as it was, she knew she would be willing to get to know her friend's roommate better - of course asking AJ if it was okay first. But that ship had sailed the moment she realised the connection between the two boys.

Her eyebrow raised as she shoved down the true effects his warm smile had on her, ignoring the fact that she wanted to smile back and that she really liked his smile. But, like her mom always said, if you don't have anything nice to say... say nothing at all.

So Lottie entered the house, brushing past him but frowning at the warmth she felt immediately after their arms grazed against each other. Once more pushing away that thought, her eyes drifted around the main entrance of the house again despite having already seen it the day before. However, she couldn't contain the scoff that escaped at his compliment, looking over her shoulder to him before finally turning back around to face him, arms folded.

"Look, let's get something clear here." She began sternly, frown once more exchanged for a raised eyebrow, "Don't try and butter me up. Working through me to fix your friend's fuck up with AJ isn't going to work. I'm not goin' to go to her and tell her that you're great guys and that she should give that asshole a second chance. You can fucking forget it." Her gaze then wandered up and down him, slowly raising back to meet his eyes, "Would I have been interested in getting to know you? Yeah. Would I have probably considered you for a quick hookup? Yeah, most likely. You're an attractive guy, I can't deny that. But now with this fuckfest?" Lottie snorted, a dry smile appearing, "Not a chance in hell."

Lottie hadn't realised how close she had gotten to Layke in that moment, only noticing once she had finished speaking. Briefly, her anger waned, and all she could feel was a different kind of tension. One that made her want to step that extra inch closer to feel his body against hers.

Her head then turned to look at where AJ spoke, snapping her out of those thoughts and trance she had found herself in. Shooting Layke a final scowl, she turned to join her friend.

Charlotte listened as AJ spoke, not interrupting and allowing her friend to explain everything she wanted to do after declining the offer of food.

"I've got everything and anything for whatever you want to do." She then told her friend, smiling. Her whole demeanour changing now with AJ. "Either way, it's boiling out today, a swim somewhere might be nice."

She rolled her eyes as Layke called through, leaning back into her seat with an irritable sigh. Her defensive nature once more reared it's ugly head as he then came through, asking the join. She bit her tongue, eyes darting to AJ to see what her response would be. While Lottie may have said things straight to Layke while AJ wasn't around, she wasn't about to cause unnecessary conflict and tension. Her friend had to live here after all.

"Getting out of this house."
Lottie then answered him shortly, keeping herself turned away from him and facing AJ but eyes on the dining table, finger pressing and running over the grains in the wood.

Jaxon

Jaxon had avoided seeing AJ, and now her friend, for as long as he could after brushing his teeth. But now that Layke had called through that breakfast was ready... his stomach growled at the smell of bacon and pancakes that came wafting through even under his bedroom door. With a soft grumble, he pushed himself from his bed where he had been laying to throw on a top so he could, reluctantly, join the three that were already out there.

He had been listening to everything that was being done and said. Both unable to help it due to his sense and just out of curiosity. He wasn't sure what to make of Lottie chewing out Layke, slightly irritated that the girl was being such a bitch to his friend who had nothing to do with what happened between him and AJ.

It further frustrated him that he couldn't just sit the two girls down and explain everything to them. Why it all happened in the first place. But it was a case of secrecy and also... they wouldn't even believe them. Who would? It was unbelievable. Even he had trouble, even now, wrapping his head around the whole situation.

Forcing himself out of the bedroom, he entered the kitchen, listening still to the conversation that was going on as he plated himself up some bacon and pancakes. Leaving his coffee mug in the sink and pouring himself a glass of orange juice, he steeled himself for following Layke's example and entered the dining room.

He remained silent, not wanting to bring too much attention to himself but kept his eyes on his food. It was difficult not to look at AJ, his mate. Her scent was already pressing against him, soaking into his clothes and was soon the only thing he could smell. He sat himself at the other end of the table, not wanting to make AJ uncomfortable by sitting too closely.

He was all too aware that his presence may now scare AJ off, and he longed to say something but each time he thought about what to say... his mind drew a blank.

Eventually he forced himself to look up and offer a small smile, knife and fork resting against her plate as he chewed on his recent mouthful. After swallowing, he hesitated before finally speaking: "Neither of you hungry?"

DD0999FD-45AB-4521-B8C3-B852288E1837.gif
Sunny had avoided the gaze from Layke, knowing that once she greeted them Lottie had likely released her wrath on him, telling by the look on his face. She found it best to not scold her friend for such behavior, usually just tempting her more. Although she didn’t want any conflict, still unsure about what she planned to do, she knew that she’d just warn her friend to be on her best behavior. She didn’t want to be kicked out of the house because of her friends attitude.

You need to be nice to them. I don’t even know how much Layke knows. I am sure he did not intentionally offer me to room because of Jaxon. He made his own decisions, we can’t pin them on anyone except him,“ she said after they sat at the table. As much as she was curious what all Layke knew and what all he was told from the other perspective, she couldn’t dwell on that part of her life anymore. She had moved on and couldn’t let this be a setback in the many goals and dreams she was working towards. She definitely couldn’t let it end a friendship with Layke, who seemed very nice—and hot— who was not the one who made the decision to leave. Jaxon did.

A swim did sound nice, though. It was just at the end of summer and the hottest point of the year, though not her favorite season, she still enjoyed the nice tan she got and having the extra time with her friends before school started back up.

Once Layke joined the girls, she gave Lottie a small scold and nodded so he could sit down, still sipping on the mug that was left outside her door. “I think we are still fully deciding,“ she answered his question with a smile. She could hear movement in the kitchen and instantly knew it was time for her and Lottie to be headed out. She was still in her pajamas though, so a change of clothes was definitely necessary before they left. Ready to stand and motion towards Lottie, she saw him walk through the entry and sit on the other side of the table, his eyes avoiding hers.

Looking away with a soft sigh, she shook her head and held the muffin up that was in her hand. “I think we will take it to go,“ she said in response to Jaxon’s question. Standing from the table, she walked around it with the mug in her hand and retreated to her bedroom, ensuring her friend wasn’t left behind to cause any trouble. After quickly changing into one of her swimsuits and pulling a tank top and shorts over it, she slipped sandals on and led her friend back out the front door without another word to the boys.

~~~

Nearly a month had passed in the new house, and things had slowly gotten easier, at least as easy as Aj figured they could get. She didn’t talk to Jaxon much, and if so it was usually in passing, avoiding the living areas when she knew he would be there. For the most part, it was easy. School started back up so she was either studying or working most of the time, and Lottie kept her occupied the rest of the free time she had.

Sunny had decided while out with Charlotte one night, that she would never get a real answer of what she wanted. Despite how long she had waited, nothing Jaxon would say could ever be enough to satisfy her. It was easier to just let it go and focus on her future, not her past. She was almost finished with school, had a great job, great friends, a new boyfriend, and all of her future goals were within grabbing distance.

Although she allowed her anger and hurt to subside, she wasn’t sure she could ever be friends with Jaxon again. To trust him the way she did before, she wasn’t sure was possible. In fact, she didn’t want to try. That didn’t mean she couldn’t be friendly to him, though. Despite the bad times they experienced, she knew there were a lot of great ones too. Layke and Aj got along great as well, so she didn’t want that friendship to end over history either. For now, she would be friendly. As for the future... she didn’t want to think about it yet.

It was a Friday, about the middle of September, so perfect weather for a bonfire, and that was exactly what the girls had decided to do that weekend. Sunny had finished her last requirement before she started her internship, which was a huge accomplishment for her! It meant that she was one step closer to become a doctor, and that was her only focus right now.

She had invited a few different people out the night before and they all had a great time, but the bonfire was more of a smaller celebration. She had only invited Lottie and Jordan, her boyfriend. She assumed that Jaxon and Layke would join them if they wanted since it was just in the backyard, but she didn’t want anything huge. She enjoyed having smaller parties and get together rather than huge ones where she didn’t get to enjoy her time or talk to half of the people.

Sunny had gotten up late that morning after the night out, too exhausted to be motivated to set up for the bonfire, though not much needed done. She had bought hot dogs to roast along with marshmallows and all of the s’mores makings. Finally, after snoozing her alarm as much as she could, Aj rolled out of her bed and gathered her clothes for a shower. It never took her too long in the bathroom like it took other girls. Perhaps she didn’t care about her appearance as much as they did, or if you asked her, she was just too lazy to look nice.

After washing up and changing into her outfit for the night, she walked back to her room with her towel to finish drying her hair. Once completely ready for her day, she was dressed in bleached jean shorts, an ivory and yellow striped loose sweater and sandals. Her hair was still damp from the shower and she settled on her glasses, since the smoke irritated her contacts. Her phone was slipped into her back pocket as she walked out her bedroom door and down to the kitchen where she warmed herself some milk to make hot chocolate in. Just as she was texting Lottie to head over whenever, she saw a message from Jordan, informing her that he couldn’t make it to her celebration that night.

She didnt bother replying, and once she saw the time, assumed Lottie was already nearby. Moving out the back door, Aj took a seat on the patio set on the back porch, crossing her leg over the other as she drank her hot chocolate and thought quietly to herself. It had been a long time since she had just came and sat outside to listen to the world around her. It was a relief to hear the calming sound of the birds singing and the wind blowing, so she assumed she’d take in the scenery as long as she could.

• • • • •

277EBEA7-3C05-4C0F-9C07-233503A5037A.gif
Lottie’s sudden snap of attitude wasn’t surprising to Layke. Though his irritation grew more with how she disliked him and his friend for reasons she would never fully understand, part of him understood her frustrations. It was one of the biggest secrets only could ever hide, and to know that there were things he could never explain to people, especially those he cares about, was aggravating for them. At least he knew the full story though. In their eyes, they only knew what they could know. He could imagine it didn’t look that great from their point of view.

Despite the instinct that wanted to agree with his mate, he furrowed his eyebrows to her babbling and watched as she got closer to him with the more irrational that grew in her voice. Half of him nearly interrupted her words in an instinct to argue back, however he was glad he hadn’t as he listened to her next words. Raising an eyebrow, he looked down at her body now a few inches from his and then back up at her eyes as they glared up at him. She must have noticed their close stance, because her next move was to step back away. He hadn’t even had a chance to respond before she was walking away with Sunny.

What he would say? He wasn’t entirely sure. To argue that he wasn’t trying to butter her up to fix Jaxon and AJ’s relationship? That he wasn’t going to convince her that Jaxon deserved a second chance with her friend? None of it matter though, because the more she disliked him, the easier it was for him to not have a chance with her. Despite being his mate, Layke knew that she could never understand that. She was mad about that between her friend and Jaxon because he had to leave to protect her, something she would never fully understand. There wasn’t anyway he could have a relationship with her when she already didn’t trust him. Perhaps that was for the best. His instincts told him to keep her safe. Maybe the safest was without him.

~~~

After a few more weeks, things seemed to die down, at least everything aside from Lottie’s glared and attitude. He kept trying to convince himself that the more she hated him, the less likely he was to have a chance with her, though it hurt him to think about it. Despite that, it almost seemed that the more they bickered (he even taking shots back at her and tempting her argument) or glared, the more sexual tension built up. Every day there was something that made him ready to rip her clothes off. He knew a lot had to do with his mate instincts, but there was that fire in her in general that made him want her more.

Layke had to work the day that Aj was having his bonfire, so he wasn’t up in the morning when she was getting ready. Despite them rarely talking, he did enjoy her company. He knew that Jaxon was still having a little bit of a difficult time with her communication, but for the most part she seemed to not hate him. She just didn’t make conversation with him unless she had to. Although his mate hated him, at least she still talked to him. Not to mention that Aj had her new boyfriend over at times, which he knew likely put Jaxon on edge even more. He wasn’t sure what he would do if he ever saw Lottie with another man. Despite thinking he’d be okay with it, he felt that he wouldn’t be able to control his emotions when it came to her. He would understand why Jaxon had to leave in the first place.

Just talking to Aj, he knew this was a huge accomplishment for her, so he made sure to have off that night to at least give her a small present. It wasn’t much of anything, and he only wrapped it in a little box, but he knew she had loved sea turtles by the coffee mug she used every morning. When he saw a little bracelet with one on it, he couldn’t help but buy it for her to at least let her know that he was glad they were friends.

Jaxon

Jaxon had just slipped into the back garden through the side gate, preferring to use the garden behind the house for his final stretches after his jogs. Simply because it felt like he had less eyes on him that way, and he could begin to cool down in peace.

Typically he liked to go for his jogs first thing in the morning, but since he had been called into the shop earlier than usual that morning for an emergency, he didn't get the chance to fit in his usual routine, meaning it had to be exchanged for an evening run instead. Not that that bothered him, what exactly did he have to fear now? Of course he could still die, but heightened senses and quicker reflexes and a stronger body in general meant he was more confident than the average human.

As he walked around the corner to the back of the house, he paused at the sight of AJ just sitting contentedly. He was unable to help the small smile that began to take over his expression, hands raising to remove his headphones and stuff them into his gym short pockets. Often he found himself unsurprised by her behaviour or preferences, remembering a lot of them from their time together - as proven by the cup of coffee he had left by her bedroom door on their first morning together.

"Hey," he started softly, speaking first as to not startle her and began to approach. Jaxon then motioned to her mug, smile broadening slightly, "Le'mme guess, hot chocolate right?" He moved to lean against the wall near the back door, body facing her openly as his arms folded across his chest.

After a moment of watching her, he turned his head in the direction she had been staring out at, taking in a deep breath of the evening air.

"So ah-- Layke mentioned you were havin' a bonfire. I think he was considerin' joinin', so long as you were alrigh' with that."
He hesitated, keeping his eyes on the distance, "Would you-- would you feel comfortable with me bein' there for a lil' bit too? You can say no, I was just hopin' that maybe-- maybe we could all just get to know each other a lil' better, y'now? But I don't wanna do anythin' that'll make this night shit for you, Sunny. It's your night, you worked hard for this and I wouldn't wanna unknowin'ly ruin it for you."

Jaxon wanted nothing more than to have time with Sunny. His Sunny. The little amount of conversation he did get out of her was torturing him and each time he heard her and Layke in conversation, he felt insanely jealous. He knew he didn't have anything to worry about, Layke would never make a move on someone that didn't belong to him. Sunny was Jaxon's mate after all. Not to mention, Jaxon would like to think they were too good a friend to each other to do that.

All he wanted was to explain everything to Sunny, for whom each time Jaxon looked at her, he felt a stab of pain. He could only begin to imagine what damage he had caused to her life and he wanted to amend that so badly. He wanted nothing more than to hold Sunny and simply be in the presence of his mate.

But things weren't that easy. Especially now with the scent of another guy all over her. It only served to wind Jaxon up further, not that he dared show it in front of his ex. Not after all that he had done previously. He knew his anger had been a scary ordeal before he had left, and he wouldn't ever want to remind Sunny of that. His control was a lot better than those days, but still on occasion he had to take himself to his room to avoid any unwanted outbursts.

Charlotte

As AJ believed, Lottie was nearby. She had just finished parking her car up and was collecting the few items she had brought with her ready for the bonfire. She was running a little late, but that was irrelevant to her as she had text in advance to give AJ the heads up about that. A date with her latest fancy had run a little over, simply because she had been enjoying his company over coffee. The guy was cute, some randomer that she had matched with on a dating app and decided 'Why the fuck not?' before agreeing to go out on a date with him. That was five dates ago. So while it didn't seem like anything serious, it was kinda pretty serious for Lottie who hadn't had a serious relationship probably since High School.

Lottie had managed to convince Sunny to let her sleep over, planning on having plenty of drinks after finishing her own final requirements before her own set of internships. For Lottie, she wouldn't just be remaining in one clinic, but moving around to different kinds of care, including helping out on farms to the other end of the spectrum with specialist surgeries.

Clambering out of the car, she juggled a few different bags, which held a variety of different objects - some snacks, some booze and others for the sleepover including a fresh set of clothes.

Fighting the bags as they struggled against her, Lottie was relieved to finally get them onto the floor and nearby chair, huffing as she did so. She pulled her phone back out of her front pocket, smirking faintly at a text from her earlier date. She leaned back against the dining room table, swiping up on the message to type out her own response.

6A5A72EA-1661-4E50-8049-F61BAB176098.gif

Aurelia was still sitting peacefully when she jumped slightly, hearing a voice that startled her and pulled her out of her deep thoughts. Moving her eyes towards where the voice came from, she saw Jaxon walking towards her. Adjusting herself in her chair awkwardly, she wrapped her hands around her coffee mug, eyes turning back towards where she was looking before. “Only thing to cure my hangover,“ she said with a chuckle, shaking her head at his guess. The first time she had ever drank alcohol was with Jaxon, and the next morning she begged him to bring her hot chocolate. Since then, she wouldn’t drink anything else after a night out.

Aj wasn’t sure what to say, and assumed that Jax would go on inside, however she felt his presence still in the same spot her eyes had left him on. His voice piped up again, turning her eyes out of curiosity. She wasn’t sure where his mention of the bonfire was going, but as she realized, she averted her eyes down to the chocolate swirl in her mug. She knew that Layke was stopping by— hell it was his house. She even knew that Jaxon would likely be there at some point to, but something about him asking felt odd. She couldn’t say no, but wasn’t sure she wanted to say yes either.

She hated when she over thought, a terrible habit she had. Anytime something came up, she dwelled in the possibilities instead of just making a decision. “I don’t mind at all. You’re welcome to join. I believe it is just Lottie and I right now anyway, Jordan canceled earlier,“ she said, moving her eyes back to where he stood. She had been putting the past behind them. She didn’t trust Jaxon yet, and honestly wasn’t sure she would again, however since they were roommates there wasn’t any reason they couldn’t all hang out once and awhile. Besides she’d have Lottie and Layke, it wasn’t like it would just be her and him.

Speaking of, I should probably go check on Lottie. She should be here any minute,“ she said, standing from the chair she was sitting. Scooping her mug into her hand, she let her free hand grab the phone and slip it into her back pocket as she turned to walk towards the back door. Stepping inside, she could hear bags being sat down in the dining room and assumed it was her friend. Making her way towards the sound, she saw her leaning up devoted towards her phone, likely the new boy she had been seeing.

Raising her eyebrows with a smirk, Sunny walked towards her. “Please tell me you’re not sexting in my dining room. I’d have to uninvite you from the bonfire tonight, and seeing as how Jordan canceled, it would be pretty lonely without you,“ she joked, scooping up a couple of the bags with snacks. She set them on the table, looking at all the goodies her friend had brought, along with more alcohol. “You do realize that there’s only like four of us going to be here, right?“ she asked, laughing at the bottles she displayed.

Speaking of, if you wanted to bring that guy, I would be fine with it. I don’t know whether you want him to see your best friend tipsy yet or if you do really like him,“ she joked. “If not then I think we will have just as much fun without him,“ she said, emptying the remainder of her mug into the kitchen sink and rinsing it out. Grabbing one of Lottie’s sleepover bags and leading her down the her room, she tossed it lightly onto her chair in the corner and plopped back onto the bed, lying with her legs still dangling against the end of the bed. “Why did we decide to go out the night before this? You know too much alcohol makes me tired,“ she laughed, throwing her hands over her head propping them behind her.

Jumping up, she moved towards her TV where she pulled out three movies, holding them up excitedly. “Ohh guess what I found when I got home this morning??“ she said excitedly. Their favorite sleepover movies. The original movies when they had their first sleepover back in college when they first met. “I’m pretty sure this ‘graduation’ bonfire qualifies for a throwback of our first awkward sleepover,“ she laughed, sitting back on the bed beside her friend, pulling a leg under her bottom.

But... don’t kill me when I say I invited Layke and Jaxon to stop by as well,“ she said, smiling awkwardly. She knew her friend wasn’t a big fan of Layke or Jaxon, but she was still hopeful that maybe they could all be friends on occasion. She had a good feeling about that night.

~~~

After setting up for the bonfire, not that there was much to do, it was the perfect time to get it started. Aj had already broken open the marshmallows to make a s’mores, while she was certain the alcohol was coming next. She was still dressed in the same outfit, though she included bug spray, her tan, bare legs already suffering as they attempted to start the fire and bring the snacks outside.

She was sitting in a lay back chair, legs propped up beside where Lottie was sitting as they talked, catching up about what their plans for internships were. Taking a bite of the sweet, chocolate graham cracker concoction, she picked up the red solo cup that she had let Lottie surprise her with.

• • • • •

90A62737-6AFA-4F5A-8239-FB35549B16F4.gif

After the long day at work, Layke had finally made it home. He saw that Lottie was already there and assumed that the bonfire had just started or was beginning, seeing as how he got off late. He had grime and oil all over him, so a shower was the first thing he planned to do. After making it into the house, he saw out the back door that Aj and Lottie where already sitting around the fire talking and laughing, so he went straight to the back bathroom and hopped in.

After drying off and changing into a pair of jeans and a plain t-shirt, Layke went to the kitchen to make himself a cup of soda he had been craving all morning. He just got off a crazy kick of trying to withdrawal from all of his terrible habits (soda, cigarettes, drinking) although none of it worked.

Layke didn’t want to head outside without Jaxon, so instead he headed towards the area where his friend was and knocked lightly on the door. “Did you get a chance to talk to Sunny about coming out?“ he asked.

Charlotte

While Lottie wasn't overly joyous about Jaxon and Layke joining them, she knew better than to make a fuss and openly disagree with the decision her friend had made. She had made a promise to herself, as difficult as it was, to try and be a little better behaved when it came to the two younger men once she realised that Sunny was actually going to try and stick it out in the house. So that meant she usually followed her rule of not saying anything since she didn't have anything nice to say. Of course a few times she had argued with Layke, making a few sarcastic or biting remarks in his direction. Only for that sexual tension to once more crackle in the air as he retorted back. His fighting back only making him even more attractive and hot in Lottie's eyes.

She had changed her own outfit before the bonfire, swapping her jeans and top for a pair of dark jean shorts and a grey crop top which was long enough to meet the waistband of her shirts but short enough to allow a glimpse of skin when she moved. A long burgundy cardigan was thrown over the top and the whole outfit was finished with sandals and sunglasses on the top of her head, which had been pushed up there once the sun had started to set.

The vet student had poured a nice, sweet alcoholic beverage for her friend, knowing that was probably the best way to go when kicking things off with Sunny. She, however, stuck to a soda for her first drink. Lottie always tried to hold her drink as best as she could with the history she had, so sometimes that meant starting off easy and often a few drinks behind the others. Not that she didn't have fun and know her drinks and cocktails. She enjoyed a drink, but after her past life experiences, she was always a little hesitant about getting completely wasted and scared of falling back into the trap she had found herself in after her father's death.

"How're you doing without Jordan here? It's weird he bailed, did he give a reason? Tonight's a big one for you, he should be here."
Lottie frowned, finally moving onto an alcoholic drink of her own once Sunny was a little further in than her. Lottie didn't make them strong for either of the girls, not seeing the point in ruining a perfectly nice drink with the (sometimes) disgusting bite of alcohol.

"I mean, I'd be pissed as fuck if it were the other way around." She continued, raising the cup to her lips to take a sip, "Is everything alright between you to? How long've you been seeing him now anyways?"

Jaxon

Jaxon looked up at the knock at his bedroom door, laid out on the bed with a bottle of opened beer rolling between his two hands, the bottom of the bottle resting on his stomach. He sat up upon seeing Layke, flipping closed the sketch book that had been laid out beside him and shoving it under his pillow. His eyes then briefly dropped to the beer bottle, finger tapping against it.

"Yeah I did. But I don't know, Layke. She said I could join but she didn't even look at me after I asked."
He answered, reaching out to put the almost empty beer bottle on the bedside table closest to him. "I don't want to fuck this night up for her, y'know? She's been lookin' forward to it all week. I wouldn't want to make her feel uncomfortable."

He looked up to his friend, hands resting on his knees. He could hear the two girls chattering outside, but at least the crackle of the fire and the distance made it more difficult than usual to hear their exact words. It would be different if they were in the house.

"I heard Jordan won't be there, which-- it fucks me off for her. Like that dickhead should be here for her now, it's a night of celebratin' her and her successes yet he's fuck knows where." He ran his fingers through his hair, sighing heavily, "He just pisses me off man. This whole situation pisses me off. I could treat her so much better than him but I'm never goin' to get a chance to prove that now after everythin'."

He paused in his rant before noting Layke's attire which suggested he was going to potentially join, "Are you goin' out there?"

4681FACA-FAF8-4449-ACFB-CF470B4358AF.gif

Sunny shrugged as her friend mentioned Jordan missing the night. It was definitely a bummer, but Aj was trying not to take it so hard— she still had Lottie, after all, and she knew it would be a fun night anyway. “He just said that something came up,“ the blonde said, sipping at the drink she was handed. “It’s big for both of us though! It sucks he couldn’t be here, but I have a good feeling about the night even without him. I couldn’t imagine a better one to start and end college with,“ she chuckled, taking a bite from the hot dog she had finished roasting.

I mean, I think everything is fine,“ she mumbled, shrugging again. At least as far as she knew. They had only been going out for a few months, and there hadn’t been any red flags yet. She was typically pretty picky when it came to guys, but he seemed to be perfect, aside from bailing from the bonfire. She had met him through the hospital. He was a tech in the ICU where she had done some of her rotations at, and they hit it off last semester and started dating just before the summer began. Up until that night, there was never any worries. She couldn’t let him bailing on one celebration worry her, right?

I mean, it is kind of weird he didn’t say why,“ she said aloud, looking over at her friend. “He would have just mentioned it if it was work,“ Sunny said, leaning back in the chair. “Should I worry about it? Should I ask him?“ she asked. Sunny hated being that jealous type of person, although it didn’t take much for her to be. It was the one thing she hated about relationships. She had always been so insecure in them, and always worried or overthought about the what-ifs.

We only started dating before the summer started, so I’ve only met his family a couple times. Maybe it was something like that and he just didn’t want to mention it since we haven’t gotten there yet,“ she shrugged. “Maybe I’ll mention it in a couple days and see what he says.

Sunny continued working on her drink as she pondered what reason it could be that Jordan had canceled, but didn’t want to let it ruin a perfectly good night. “Anywhoo,“ she said, standing up to get a refill. “How about your newest fling? What was today? The fifth date? When are you going to make it official and settle down?“ she teased Lottie, moving to stand near the fire.

She was listening to her friend as she bent down so that she could adjust the wood in the fire when she heard the back door open, and assumed that it was her roommates joining them. Shoving another piece of firewood into the pit, she stood back up and turned to glance towards the door before taking her seat back beside Lottie, drink still in hand.

• • • • •
9AC32123-B0DA-4D29-BB46-D60A1F9714D3.gif

Layke plopped down in a chair in Jaxon’s room as he listened to his friend say he had talked to Sunny. He was hopeful, but then his friend continued about not wanting to ruin the night. He knew things had been rough between them. She nearly never talked to Jaxon, and he couldn’t imagine having to be in the same house with his mate and not getting to talk to her, not mention to have to smell another man on her all the time. He was sure he would go mad. “Listen, I get it. But thing aren’t going to get any less awkward unless ya’ll actually talk. It’s just the two out there and if Jordan isn’t coming then it’s a good night for all of us to just have a few drinks and hang out,“ Layke said with a shrug.

If she is your mate, that means she is inevitably suppose to end up with you, not him. Just because you two aren’t talking now doesn’t mean it won’t change. You two have a lot of history, and right now all she remembers and thinks of you is the bad. You’re not that guy anymore. She just needs to remember the Jaxon that she first met,“ he told his friend, leaning forward in the chair, propping his elbows on his knees. “I’m not going without you,“ he shrugged, looking across the room towards his friend.

Girls are pretty notorious for saying what they feel when they’re drunk. So I’m not going out there with Lottie alone, and as long as we keep it light and just have a good time, I think we will all have a good time. It is a night to celebrate her, so just keep it easy conversation. I think it will go better than what you’re thinking,“ he shrugged. Standing up from the chair, he stretched his sore muscles and walked towards his door. “So are you coming or not?“ he called behind him, towards Jaxon. After making his way towards the back door, hoping his friend decided to join him, he opened it and saw Aj bending to readjust the wood and Lottie propped in a chair beside there chatting. He could hear better outside, despite the cackling fire, although halfway through the conversation he wasn’t sure what they were talking about.

Making his way down the back porch steps and towards them, he smiled. Closer to the area, he looked over to see Lottie and then back to Aj. “Hope I’m not interrupting,“ he said with a chuckle. Reaching into his front pocket, he pulled out the little box and handed it towards Sunny before moving to sit across from her and beside Lottie, grabbing a beer before he sat down. “I saw this the other day and figured you’d like it. Just to say congrats,“ he said, opening the bottle with his chair.

Aj mentioned you were starting too, but by the time I knew I didn’t know what to get you or I would grabbed something,“ he said, guilty he hadn’t brought something for Lottie. Although he knew gifts were required or even expected, he was just the type of person to get people things just because he thought of them. It was kind of “girly” as all of his friends said, but he would rather buy them the things now while he had the chance than wait until one day when he couldn’t buy it for them. “I’ll make it up to ya sometime,“ he said, sipping on the beer.

Sunny- #F7DA64
Layke - #475577

Charlotte

"Sunny, stop worrying. I know I asked and everything but that was to make sure you were feeling alright about it all. Don't go asking him about it for now but... maybe just keep an eye on it?" Lottie suggested, watching her friend from over the rim of her cup as she took a sip. She didn't dare mention how fucking pissed she would be if it were her in Sunny's position. If her boyfriend knew how important the evening was to her, he better damn well be there.

Lottie shrugged, shifting so she could tuck a leg up underneath herself and got more comfortable in her camping chair. "Nah leave it, see if he mentions anything first. Like you said, it may have been a family thing - if you're still getting to know his family, he may not want to mention anything too personal."

She then snorted at AJ's teasing, eyes rolling as she leaned back into her seat and took another mouthful of her drink.

"Honestly, chill. It's was date five but that doesn't mean anything."
She answered coolly, not allowing herself to get too excited about this new boy prospect. "He's at our Uni too but doing journalism. He's alright, you know what I'm like, AJ, I don't talk about the guys I'm dating." She shrugged, looking down at her cup.

It made Lottie uncomfortable talking about the intimacy of relationships. Any guy she'd hooked up with, she didn't care talking about that because that meant nothing. But relationships were another matter.

Her head turned to look slightly over her shoulder at the door opening, eyebrow raising at the sight of Layke. Despite herself, Lottie found her eyes running over his body, watching with suppressed appreciation as he approached.

She watched curiously as he began speaking to AJ, handing her a present and all. She was mystified by the sudden swelling of jealousy she felt in her chest, brow beginning to furrow but she didn't know what she was frowning at - herself and her jealousy, or Layke giving AJ a present. Quickly she dismissed the frown and all thoughts of envy as Layke moved to grab a beer and sit beside her. That pleased her, which shocked her.

The past few days had been manic in terms of her emotions toward Layke. She wanted to hate him, believing he knew what had happened between her friend and his, yet orchestrated AJ moving in. Yet there were days where she wanted nothing more than to rip his clothes off. Then there were other days that all she could think about was what it would be like to just lay lazily in bed with him and just spend copious hours drinking each other in.

However she did love arguing against him, enjoying the fight and fire that sparked between them.

"I wasn't expecting anything, so it really doesn't matter." Lottie drawled, taking a sip from her own drink before her eyes fell onto Sunny and she remembered to try and at least make an effort. "But thanks anyways."

Jaxon

Jaxon took his friend's words on board, mulling it all over in his mind as he attempted to figure out what to do. He sat on the edge of the bed with his elbows on his knees and his hands clasping the back of his bowed head. A finger gently tapped against the back of his skull as he tormented himself over what would be best for the evening.

His eyes drifted across to a set of drawers in his room, which usually held tops, sports stuff and his boxers. Recently they hid a new addition, his own present to Sunny. A personalised diary, her name written in black calligraphy on the faux soft yellow front which had a few small sunflowers printed onto it. It was one of those ultra-organised ones with pages for daily quotes, diary entries, spaces to doodle, spaces to stick photos. When Jaxon saw it online, and the way he could personalise it, he knew it would be perfect for Sunny.

Now, however, he was totally terrified of giving it to her.

Get a grip. He told himself firmly, forcing himself to his feet and approaching the chest of drawers to pull out the carefully wrapped present. Like Layke said, things aren't going to get any less awkward if you just sit around here.

By the time he worked up the nerve to head out there, he wasn't sure how many drinks the three of them had already had. Nonetheless, he collected the two presents (he had gotten Lottie a medium sized candle after hearing Sunny say how obsessed her friend was with candles).

He approached the small group hesitantly, hiding his surprise at the sight of Lottie and Layke sitting close together and having not actually scratched each other's eyes out yet.

"Congratulations," he smiled slightly as he joined, standing just beside Layke's chair, "I got you both something... nothing big. Just a little something to say well done." He held up the two gifts as if offering proof before holding out the small gift bag to Lottie and the wrapped diary to Sunny. "I hope you don't mind me joining, even if only for a beer or two."

E4E2F37C-F85D-458D-9634-8AB1870E920C.gif
Sunny relaxed back in her chair as she took another seat, knowing that her friend was right. She was typically a pretty relaxed person in relationships. She liked going with the flow and honestly, aside from her relationship with Jaxon, she had never gotten serious with anyone before. She was focused on school and her personal goals so much that she wasn’t really concerned with planning for a future relationship. She knew that she would find someone one day, and never felt a need to rush anything. She had also not felt anything in a relationship the way that she felt with Jaxon. Part of her was always concerned she was waiting for that spark again, but she knew it was silly to think something like that would happen in real life. It was only the type of thing that happened in stories.

Her friend’s hesitation and shrugging attitude towards the guy made her roll her eyes. She knew Lottie better than anyone. Despite always speaking her mind, she wasn’t always the best at expressing emotions or feelings. She hadn’t had a lot of serious relationships either, which was why her and Sunny were always so close. They always had each other and honestly, throughout college AJ preferred that rather than dealing with the boys and the drama that came along with it.

Personally, Aj always felt like Lottie struggled in the boy department because sometimes, she acted so much like them. At least when it came to emotions. She wouldn’t talk to anyone about them and sometimes you just need to talk about your relationship aloud to someone, even just your best friend, to help you realize how you really feel about someone. Aj had no problem in that, at least with Lottie. She was difficult to talk to the guy, but her best friend was a different story. Even if she gave no advice, Sunny would talk about everything until it all pieced together for her. She wished Lottie would try it at times, but knew her best friend was too stubborn for that sometimes.

Once Layke joined them, she was surprised that he held out a small gift for her. She chuckled and took it, opening it to reveal the small bracelet with a sea turtle. “Thank you, Layke. You really didn’t have to get either of us anything, we just wanted to have a little night to have fun. It’s beautiful though,“ she thanked him, sitting the bracelet beside her on the table where her drink sat. She had traded it out for a beer. While it wasn’t her favorite drink, she always believed drinking a beer every few drinks on a night out would help ease her hangover. Some old wives tale that a friend had told her many years before and she stuck with it.

Her friends response and then look towards Sunny caused her to give a stern look, then smiling as she corrected herself. Lottie didn’t intend to come off the way she did at times, but she was just very blunt. It was one thing she loved about her friend, but sometime it was a struggling keeping her in line. They were definitely different in that department, but she thought that’s as why they went so well together. Lottie would make the crazy, impulse decisions and Aj would make sure they wouldn’t die while doing them. Aj would sweet talk anyone to get them a discount or a free ride, while Lottie would scold those who were hateful towards either of them. She couldn’t imagine a better friend.

The three started simple conversation, Layke asking more about their internships. It was obvious he didn’t know too much about how they worked, but Aj thought it was nice that he was at least trying to understand and make sense of it. The more she got to know him, the more she thought he would be good for Lottie. Despite their constant bickering, Sunny swore they’d couldn’t keep their eyes off each other! Even she could feel the sexual tension between them and only hoped they wouldn’t end on bad terms for her sake.

Sunny had to admit, she was surprised that Jaxon hadn’t joined them when Layke came out. She had said he was okay to come, and while part of her was worried about the invite, she was somewhat looking forward to just hanging out with the three of them, hoping some tension would ease up in the house. Besides, she could survive a night, especially with alcohol involved. By the time the door opened and he came out, Layke was already A few beers deep and Aj was working on the second drink after Layke joined, settling for a wine cooler this time. She had developed a high alcohol tolerance, so she was feeling a little buzzed, but typically never got blackout drunk. She always knew her limits and knew when it was time to stop. Besides, she never drank to get drunk, she only drank to have fun. It was much more fun when you still were fully aware of what was going on, you just had a little bit more energy than without the buzz.

As Jaxon joined, Sunny opened the wine cooler and took a drink, pulling one leg up in her chair and draping an arm loosely around it to mess with the buckle on her sandal that was now in the camping chair. As he approached, Layke continued talking and Aj laughed along with him at whatever story he was onto now. They had all mostly spent time talking about growing up and all the stupid things they had done (which looking back, was hilarious now).

When Jaxon finally made it beside Layke, she looked up at him, having not as much fear now that a little alcohol was running through her blood. She smiled as he reach over to hand a wrapped gift. Taking it into her hands, she guessed some kind of book by the shape and weight, but wasn’t quite sure. “You and Layke are both too much,“ she said with a laugh. “You really didn’t have to get us anything. But thank you,“ she said as she unfolded it. Tossing the paper in the waste basket and looking over the diary which had her name written beautiful on the cover. She swallowed slightly and ran her finger over the print before sitting it in her lap. “Thank you, it is beautiful,“ she said, smiling at him. Her eyes didn’t linger, some of her confidence going away as she felt the journal in her hand. Sitting it beside her, the bracelet on top, she took another drink of her wine cooler and readjusted her chair so that she had one leg under her bottom and one dangling off the chair.

Take a seat, we’ve got plenty of food and drinks if you want any,“ she offered, leaning back. “Layke was just telling us about his time on the farm with the cows,“ she laughed.

• • • • •
567D6548-8659-45D4-B7BE-756B67BFFDB9.gif
Layke loved getting people gifts, but hated the awkwardness after they got them. Would they love them? Would they hate them? When they thanked him he never knew the right things to say, and it always made his already tan cheeks turn pink with pleasure to know he made them happy. Of course he felt guilty about not getting something for Lottie, but he knew he’d get her something by the end of the week to make it up to her. Even when she insisted that she didn’t expect anything, he wanted to. Hanging around the house, she was going to have to get use to randomly getting something as he did it to almost everyone that was around him for awhile. He didn’t want to waste a day and wish that he had gotten something when he could just to let them know he was thinking about them— no matter how “girly” it may have been.

The three were all having a great time. They were telling stories and just talking. He was generally good with conversation, so it kept things flowing and there wasn’t as much awkwardness as he was nervous about, especially with Lottie. She wasn’t biting his throat out every few minutes. He wasn’t sure what he liked more though- having the relaxing time and feeling like they were having a good time together or the constant bickering and sexual tension that usually occurred. It was almost the best of both worlds in his eyes.

He had to stop thinking such a thing. He couldn’t have a hook up with her because then that was all he would be to her, a hook up. Not to mention that as soon as he felt her that close to him, he wasn’t sure his mate instincts would bear to let her go or see her with anyone else, despite his desire to fight it. He hated the thought of being “tied down” but everything he hated, he seemed to want with her. He was never a big relationship guy. He had sex with girls, sometimes even flings. He had only really had two relationships his entire life, and neither lasted more than two years. He just wasn’t that type of guy.

Layke wasn’t about spending time with someone or going on dates or sleeping over. He was the guy who would message someone to come over at the late hours or leave in the middle of the night when the deed was done. His sudden desire changing into everything that he wasn’t was a difficult change for him. Part of it felt so good to have her so close and want everything with her and for her, but the stubbornness wasn’t willing to let his wolf have it. Especially when he still didn’t think it was fair to her to never know the truth. He couldn’t lie to her his entire life, even if that meant not being with her.

Once Jaxon joined them, the air seemed to thicken a bit, but Sunny reacted surprisingly well. She actually seemed... happy to have them both joining the bonfire. Layke smiled towards his friend to sit in the open chair between him and Sunny, handing him a beer from the table and grabbing himself a fourth one. He wasn’t a heavy drinker anymore, but Layke usually had once or two drinks a day, so he wasn’t a light weight either. He was actually surprised by how much Sunny was drinking and she wasn’t slurring her words. He had never seen a girl, especially her size, drink more than a few drinks without passing out. He was impressed.

The four fell back into gentle conversation. Although it was a bit awkward at first, eventually they all were talking about things and laughing, and almost all of the tension was forgotten. It was like they were old friends, catching up. Exactly what Layke had wanted out of the night was unfolding.

Grabbing a couple marshmallows to roast over the fire pit, he waited for them to catch on fire until he pulled them away, blowing the cool them down. Though they were all still laughing and chatting, the music in the background that the girls had put on was more known as things died down. He looked at Lottie, still sitting beside her and offered her a marshmallow. “So, you like candles huh? My mom loves those.. what are they called? Wax melts?“ Layke said, making conversation as he leaned back, tossing an ankle over his opposite knee.

Her favorites are the linen scents so that pretty much every gift I get her,“ he chuckled, hoping that the fun the night was beginning to give them might help him make a little easier conversation with Lottie. He wasn’t expecting them to be best friends, but as her mate, he couldn’t help but be curious about her more, and it wasn’t the same hearing things from Aj as it was from Lottie. Her voice was like a melody to his ears, and he couldn’t help but want to talk to her, even if he told himself he shouldn’t.

Charlotte

Charlotte was surprised by Jaxon's gift, even more pleasantly so upon finding a linen-scented candle within the small gift bag. "T-Thank you." She answered, frowning slightly as she tried to figure out what his angle was. Why was he giving her this present when she had been nothing but a bitch to him and his friend for the past month?

Deciding to push it to one side for now, she slotted the gift back within the coloured tissue that was layered within the bag and carefully placed it under her camper chair for safe keeping.

Lottie moved onto a beer next, getting fed up of the sweet drink she had been pouring her and Sunny and wanting something that wouldn't make her feel queasy so quickly. She reached forward to dip her hand into the cooler, fishing one out before popping the lid off with a bottle opener on her key chain. She was a drink or so behind the rest of them, swapping between alcohol and soda, not because she didn't trust herself to know her limits because she was fully aware of them. Nor was it because she thought that, if she was more heavily influenced by alcohol, she may end up jumping Layke that evening. It was, once again, because of her past.

Being around Jaxon and Layke while drinking made her a little weary, reminding her of negative memories which involved drinking with strangers in a small group. While she knew she was quite a free spirit in the sense that she would have flings, one-night stands and fuck buddies or enjoyed the odd daring challenge and had a blunt (and sometimes dirty) way of speaking and a sharp tongue, Lottie was less free when it came to alcohol. Being with the two boys, who were practically strangers, brought back memories of drinking with practical strangers after being dragged to a more intimate group by a guy she was seeing at the time. Dragged into the wrong crowd during that spiral after her father's death.

It was that time Lottie used as blame for why she didn't settle down properly into relationships either. Not to mention why she bottled everything up. It was a part of her life she hated anyone knowing about. Even with AJ; Lottie had only opened up to her friend toward the end of second year, in the past deflecting more attempts to get her more drinks or changing the subject when things got too close for comfort to her past.

As the evening wore on and the atmosphere once more became more relaxed, Lottie found herself more comfortable to move on to her third beer. While she was still wary of the two boys, she trusted in AJ and the security and comfort her friend brought her.

Her head turned as she noticed movement from the corner of her eye, tearing her gaze away from where Jaxon was beginning to approach AJ and looking to where Layke was fussing about with some marshmallows. Her eyebrow raised at the offered sweet but with a slow smirk, she reached out to take it. She popped it into her mouth as he spoke, licking at the tip of her thumb and finger to get rid of some of the leftover stickiness.

"I love the linen scented ones too - your mom and I have something in common. Anything that smells like fresh laundry is right up my street. I used to drive AJ nuts with the amount of candles I had, and I wasn't even allowed to light them because of the dorm rules." She rolled her eyes, leaning back in her seat and washing the marshmallow down with a swig of her beer.

Her gaze briefly wandered over him, admiring him and enjoying the sound of his voice despite her own attempts to keep herself distanced from him.

"You know, having them catch on fire isn't the only way to get them all soft and gooey in the middle." She then pointed out, referring to his roasting technique, a cheeky smirk back on her lips, "I hope you don't apply that technique to all the meals you cook."

Jaxon

As the night continued, Jaxon allowed himself to relax slightly but still always felt careful about what he did or said around Sunny, not wanting to scare her off in any way. He allowed the others to make conversation, only sitting with his beer and joined in when called upon or chuckling at the numerous stories that were being told.

Now and again he found himself simply looking at Sunny, meaning he had to quickly tear his gaze away to avoid her catching him in the act. Just listening to her voice was a comfort, and Jaxon choose to focus on that rather than the faint scent of her new boyfriend on her skin. Just the mere thought of the new guy touching what belonged, by nature, to him drove Jaxon insane but he had better control over himself than the days before he disappeared. He was able to act normally, laughing between swigs of beer despite the desire to claim what was his.

He stood briefly to add a few more pieces of wood to the bonfire, finding upon his return that Layke and Lottie were in their own little conversation, leaving him alone with Sunny.

Before he returned to his seat, he fetched himself another beer and another wine cooler for her, smiling as he handed the bottle across to her. "So, are you excited about the internship? I've heard you speakin' to Layke about it a few times but I still don't really know much about what you're goin' to be doin'." He admitted, holding the bottle by the neck as he leaned forward with elbows on knees for a moment, "Either way, I was thinkin' that the... the planner I got you might be something you can use specially for it. I mean, if you want, of course. No pressure. I just saw how amazin' it looked for organisin' stuff and remembered how crazy you were about making sure stuff was organised. Remember when you were plannin' that small house party in junior year? I swear, I don't even think the marines could beat your well-run machine when we were settin' things up."

6066394F-441C-4B13-8F86-01A298CE938C.gif
Once Layke and Lottie began chatting, Jaxon adding more wood to the fire, Aj found herself off in her own little world, the sweater she wore wrapped around her body as she thought quietly to herself, eyes absently watching the flames of the fire. She was pulled out of the thoughts as she saw movement beside her and Jaxon joined, offering another drink towards her.

She smiled softly, as she always did, and took the cool glass from him as she sat it between her knees, not yet opening the drink. “Yes, I’m very excited to be nearly finished. Just the next few months and we will be celebrating for real,“ she chuckled, her hands rubbing her bare legs in the chair, scratching at mosquito bites that the fire hadn’t scared away. She lit a candle beside her, one of the special ones for repellent, and opened her drink to swirl in her hands for another moment before taking a drink.

She listened to him as he started talking, soon turning into a ramble as his words often did. There was little she forgot about him, despite her efforts, but it was almost relieving to know that he hadn’t changed too much from the Jaxon she knew. Of course there was the obvious.. He was grown now. At eighteen he was grown, but now he was truly a man. He looked far more built than he was before, his hair was less shaggy, his hands had work built into them. He looked like a lot had changed him over the years, but he was still a goofy guy as far as she could tell.

Aj shook the thoughts from her head, coming back to reality. She laughed at his joke about her organization, and shook her head a little, bowing it slightly as her dimples popped from her pink cheek. “I believe I lost some of that over the years. I feel like a hot mess most of the time. There’s always so much to keep up with, I can hardly remember what it was like back before I had real world problems I had to deal with,“ she chuckled, leaning back in her chair, moving her legs to prop her feet against the stool in front of her, crossing her ankles.

I do really appreciate the journal. You didn’t need to get me anything, but I love it. It will come in handy sometime,“ she said, glancing back down to the present that laid on the table beside her. “So, working at a mechanic shop, I hear,“ she said after a few moments of silence. “It seems to be going well for you. Layke said you’re one of the best there, so I guess you found your niche,“ Sunny said, sipping her drink slowly as she looked over towards him, easing into conversation, slowly relaxing her tense muscles the more they talked, eventually things flowing easier in conversation the more the topics varied.

• • • • •
25BD7836-7CF0-41F6-8CF5-67B9308C2747.gif
Layke was leaning forward in his lawn chair, still roasting more marshmallows and letting them catch fire before pulling them out of the flames. “I think that’s half the reason why my mom even likes them. She knows how much we hate having the house full of them,“ he laughed. “Honest to God I don’t think she will ever burn them all. She’s got enough to fill up an entire bedroom,“ Layke said as he shook his head, offering another one towards Lottie before using the second marshmallow to make a s’mores for himself.

His eyes turned to look at her when she mentioned his burning of the marshmallows and he snorted as he took a bite of the s’mores. “Not the only way, but the best way. I font think I trust anyone who doesn’t burn their marshmallow at least a little bit,“ he said, leaning back in his chair. Running his tongue over his lip to get the sweet marshmallow that stuck to the lower one, he glanced over towards her before taking another drink of his beer. “Besides, you would be head over heals for my cooking if you had one bite. Fire or not I’m a pretty damn good cook,“ he laughed, finishing his s’mores before propping his ankle on his opposite knee again.

Glancing over towards where Jaxon and Aj sat, Layke was pleasantly surprised to hear them laughing and talking back and forth. They seemed to go back into an easy flow after a few minutes. He wasn’t sure if it was the alcohol in Aj or maybe they were just getting along, but he hoped it would help ease the awkwardness that had been go present the past few weeks. This new feeling of hanging out with them all was definitely something he could get use to.

So Sunny said you’re a vet, right? Or will be after you finish this last internship?“ he asked, looking back towards his mate. He waited for her response, eyes slowly glancing down her body and back up, examining the curls in her hair and the movement of her lips as she spoke. His thoughts continued chanting that she was perfect, and his heart kept agreeing. “What do you think you’d like to specialize in, if anything? I know my aunt started the program and she was interested in doing more domestic animals, but she use to tell me the many different areas there were,“ he said, leaving the conversation open to her own thoughts and opinions.

Charlotte

"Oh would I now?" Lottie laughed in amusement to his arrogance regarding his cooking skills, "Too bad I'm not interested in trying any of your cooking, I would have liked to have seen you crash and burn on that claim." She smirked, looking up from her own s'more which she was eating, and savouring, a lot more than him.

Her gaze then returned to the fire, ears picking up the sound of Jaxon and Sunny talking but not wanting to look and intrude on their privacy. She was still apprehensive about the two boys, Jaxon in particular considering all she had heard about him from Sunny when her friend had finally opened up to her about that part of her life. While Lottie was ready to fight anyone that messed with her or her friend, or put them in their place verbally, she wasn't about to come in between any potentially fixing of rifts if that wasn't what AJ wanted. Her friend was a big girl at the end of the day, but that didn't mean that Lottie wouldn't be ready with a shovel to bury a body if necessary.

After finishing her s'more, Lottie leaned back with a contented sigh, allowing her head to tip back and eyes to close. She kept them closed as he spoke up again, feeling his eyes on her. As she finally tipped her head to the side and opened her eyes to turn her gaze onto him, she caught him looking over her.

While a few weeks ago she would have bitten his head off for such a thing, she found that she oddly didn't mind it. She even stretched out, back arching and arms rising above her head before she pushed herself back up into a straighter sitting position.

"That's right. I haven't really decided on my speciality yet, my internship will help with that I think - I'm going to a load of places to tend to a bunch of different animals." She explained, standing to pour herself a cup of soda ready for when she finished her beer which was almost done. "Domestic animals are cute and all but... I don't know, I'm kinda drawn to forest predators? Like wolves, bears, cougars..." She explained, shrugging as she sat back down, "I think I want to work somewhere like a conservation. Or maybe even travel, help with protecting those kind of predators whose numbers are dwindling, y'know?"

Her eyes raised to him, allowing herself a moment just to look at him and search his eyes for a moment. Soon she was glancing away, swigging the rest of the beer from the bottle before moving on to her soda.

Jaxon

Jaxon's gaze drifted down to where she was itching at her legs, partly amused to find that she still hadn't found the best way to stop herself from getting bitten while the other side of him was concerned for his mate and any discomfort she may be feeling. He was forced to lean back in his own seat and crossed his arms to suppress the desire to reach out and stop her from scratching at any potential bites. He didn't want to scare her away, and he was worried that any gesture or movement to touch her might do so.

His heart melted at the sight of her dimples, a small smile of his own appearing just at the sight of them. He had forgotten how adorable she could be. His memories of her truly did no justice, no matter how hard he tried to remember their good times together. Sunny had been gorgeous before in High School, but now seeing her as a young woman, in her prime and doing something she loved only seemed to heighten everything about her. Her smile seemed more infectious, her eyes brighter. He found himself wanting to pull her onto his lap, just to be even closer to her.

"Tell me about it, sometimes I wish we could go back to the days where the biggest problem we had was trying to get someone to buy us some alcohol for our parties." He chuckled, pulling himself out of his thoughts to pay attention to what she was saying. He didn't want to miss a word.

He shrugged, eyes lowering to his beer as his finger picked at the label, "S'no big deal. Just a little thing." He answered, beginning to doubt his choice of present despite her reassurances that she liked it. Did this new Sunny still write like he knew she used to? Or was that a thing of the past too? Maybe he had made the wrong choice in getting her what he did, perhaps he should have gone for a safer option.

"Uh, yeah I-- yeah." He laughed, rubbing the back of his neck and glancing back up almost sheepishly, "It's not that I couldn't do anything else-- I did finish--" He cut off, afraid that if he admitted he finished his High School education elsewhere would only serve to bring them back to the cold, harsh reality that he left in the first place. Clearing his throat, he flashed a quick smile before diverting, "I did finish the search for my niche, as you call it. I've even got a Ford Mustang 69 coupe in the garage that I'm fixing up, although I'm not sure if I want to sell it or keep it for myself afterwards yet though."