Alberta Wildfires

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fire is still going on?

God damn this is bad. :/
Industry concerns aside how will Alberta support all the people who lost their homes once the fire is over with?

Industry concerns aside how will Alberta support all the people who lost their homes once the fire is over with?
Like most disasters, the Red Cross will be assisting at the fronts I imagine. It's a reason why donations are so important. Also - I have a feeling the federal government will throw in some support as well, like the tragedy that happened in Lac Mégantic in 2013 (train full of oil exploded in the middle of the town).

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Like most disasters, the Red Cross will be assisting at the fronts I imagine. It's a reason why donations are so important. Also - I have a feeling the federal government will throw in some support as well, like the tragedy that happened in Lac Mégantic in 2013 (train full of oil exploded in the middle of the town).
Well hopefully everyone finds shelter and eventually get's new homes. If they don't... I'm going to be awfully pissed at our government for letting people go homeless due to a natural disaster.
The thing that really breaks my heart is that many people had to leave their pets behind... :(
I would fight any one trying to stop me from taking my dog to the death (well, not literally but unconscious... Well, wounded. Cause unconscious = death if surrounded by fire).

It's over 80,000 hectacres and officials declared they can't control it without rain.

So, yes, of course it's still going a few days after the thread started. Most small forest fires take weeks before they run their course.

Here
Here's scale maps to the size of the fires to give you an idea of how much area is actively burning:
13151393_10153455232471651_6868833141127460083_n.jpg

Jeez D': that is so much. Kinda sucks when you realize you can't do anything to help either.

there are people - mostly from British Columbia - who are calling this 'karma' because of Fort McMurray being a major oil town
I would like to apologize formally for the assholes of my province

As a British Columbian who has family in Fort Mac (made it out safe, thank whatever you worship), and who also has family in parts of BC that are on fire, its never deserved, it's never funny, it's never okay.

It's going to be a bad year, too, what with the late fall, early spring, and half-assed winter.

If you see a firefighter, tip your hat, and if you're at all able, volunteer. Or donate supplies, help dig trenches, fucking HELP. There's never enough hands.

Here
Here's scale maps to the size of the fires to give you an idea of how much area is actively burning:
... If it were here then it'd just dip into my town but also occupy all of Mississauga AND Toronto?

That... How is this not bigger news? o_o

... If it were here then it'd just dip into my town but also occupy all of Mississauga AND Toronto?

It's not in the important part of Canada I guess 3:

Very sad truth.

In even sadder news, the fire has reached 100,000 hectares, and is expected to double in size overnight. At this point they're not allowing any firefighters anywhere near the fire, even in planes. So basically we either have to wait for the fire to burn itself out, or for a rainstorm to put it out. There's also a good chance it could spill over into BC, so any of my fellow British Columbians who have claimed this is "karma" will end up receiving some karma of their own.

Man this is scary :(( I hope things sort out and it rains there at least.

It's not in the important part of Canada I guess 3:
But, there's still a TON of people living there (ediit: First World people I might add. Not that it should mean shit. But Media certainly cares about that aspect >.<) and even ignoring that there's the Oil bit.
And even ignoring that?

HELLO! IT'S A FIRE THAT OCCUPIES MORE THAN 2 CITIES WORTH OF LAND! WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!?
Not mad at you, just putting in emphasis.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what originally caused/started the fire any ways?
any of my fellow British Columbians who have claimed this is "karma" will end up receiving some karma of their own.
There's part of me that smirks at this, but it's mostly being horrified that such a thing just keeps spreading. o_o

Last edited:
No clue :/ Strangely many people I have spoken to next door (aka from America) didn't even know of it.

No clue :/ Strangely many people I have spoken to next door (aka from America) didn't even know of it.
I'm not surprised considering I only know about it is because of this thread. :/
Which is part of the reason I'm so shocked the news isn't bigger. I should not have all my information on this (without having to purposely look for it) be from a roleplaying site of all things. >.<

I know what you mean. I hadn't realized either until I read of it yesterday here, that's when I contacted my parents.

This is super depressing. I've known it was happening from day one but I had no idea it was still so out of control. ;(

Selfish as it is, I'm glad it happened when it did, to an extent. My brother was supposed to fly up to that area for work this week. I'd hate to have had it happen while he was there. He's a good kid, but stress management is not among his strengths. The guy developed a heart condition from studying too hard.

I'm definitely not glad it HAPPENED, but I'm glad it didn't happen while he was up there.

Because fires aren't convenient scapegoats to sway the voting public. Men strapped with bombs or who shoot up black churches are. Murder and disease are media fodder, little else. It will take an entire metropolitan city going up in flames before the media will go nuts about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.