Alberta Wildfires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloody fuck off. Making light in a horrible situation makes light of it. You think I don't think its tragic? No. The thing is, a lot of people don't have the power to stop this or even do anything about it. It's terrifying and suddenly you're wondering if your loved ones are okay and if you're going to lose your homes. Uhm, the fires for the States? It went not even 10 miles from my own. I ended up doing a lot of the things you guys are doing. Calling loved ones, making sure they were okay and such.

So excuse me, for making light of MY OWN EXPERIENCE.

Before you get so judgmental and start harping on other people for being awful, get off your high horse. Cuz you don't know what others have gone through or are dealing with. And you don't know the methods they cope with their shit.

Now go back to making light of other tragedies: Like that Trump is the republican nominee. -_-
You're missing the point, the joke of the situation isn't an issue. Hell I'm the guy who makes constant enemies from joking about usually taboo topics.

The problem isn't humour, it was you effectively going "You people in Alberta shouldn't feel bad about this tragedy, because we had it worse!". You trivialized and tossed aside their right to feel bad about the situation.

You're missing the point, the joke of the situation isn't an issue. Hell I'm the guy who makes constant enemies from joking about usually taboo topics.

The problem isn't humour, it was you effectively going "You people in Alberta shouldn't feel bad about this tragedy, because we had it worse!". You trivialized and tossed aside their right to feel bad about the situation.
-__- and the inherent sarcasm and obvious joking nature of the entire post... apparently didn't click to any of you... Gee. *applauds*

-__- and the inherent sarcasm and obvious joking nature of the entire post... apparently didn't click to any of you... Gee. *applauds*
You're continued asshattery about this situation is not making your point any stronger. Yes, comedy can be a very effective tool to help deal with tragedy and crisis, but not everyone is going to appreciate or want that kind of catharsis. When jokes don't land, the problem is not with the audience.

There's a lot of stress around this particular crisis right now. Just as you have the right to make jokes to help you deal, others have the right to find it in bad taste and respond accordingly.

Errybody cool your tits and stop going off at each other, or I will spank you.

The irony here is a some of the people complaining about Aenimus, are the same people who scream their throats off about how you shouldn't "censor" or get offended over jokes. :D. But the second they are the ones affected they completly abandon their whole ideological standpoint on the matter.

That said; Stay safe albertians!

Errybody cool your tits and stop going off at each other, or I will spank you.
The irony here is a some of the people complaining about Aenimus, are the same people who scream their throats off about how you shouldn't "censor" or get offended over jokes. :D. But the second they are the ones affected they completly abandon their whole ideological standpoint on the matter.
Gs5BJje.gif

EDIT

Anyway, for those who want to know what hell looks like, here it is.

Last edited:
Well, half the province isn't on fire, half the province has very good chance of setting on fire.

It's a nuanced difference.

And I thought 4chan was full of shit when I saw ITS HAPPENING 60,000 SOMETHING THINGS ON FIRE.

Holy shit it makes our wildfires look fairly tame.

First the economy, now the wildfires. It could only really get worse if we were hit by a meteor at this point.

I made it more Canadian.

Right. Just putting these here. Cuz ya know, I'm the horrible one making light of this. Without human dignity.:applause:

Right. Just putting these here. Cuz ya know, I'm the horrible one making light of this. Without human dignity.:applause:
At this point, I'm just curious what you're aiming for here?

Can y'all please stop squabbling so this thread doesn't get locked? Thanks.

Reactions: Brovo
At this point, I'm just curious what you're aiming for here?
Pretty sure she is pointing out the hypocrisy of calling out and going after a single person in a thread where she perceives there to be others also making humorous comments regarding the situation. It doesn't exactly take rocket science to figure out...

This wasn't necessary. Grumpy already warned the participants here to keep this civil. The thought of doing something like this should have ended the moment you saw his warning.

Final warning: Keep this civil and don't dredge up drama, or this thing will be locked and spankings distributed.

I can understand why people would think that Gwazi's joke is terrible. Hell, if there was a earthquake in California and someone was making jokes about it, then I would be so fucking upset. I hate that people make jokes of tragedies too early. I can understand if it was a tragedy that happened years ago. But, it was told too soon and some people on this site are affected by this fire. And I agree with Mahariel's statement, some people tell jokes during tragedies and some people don't like that at all.

I am not trying to cause any issues between anyone at all, just stating my option of the issue. Plus, I hope that they are able to keep the people and the towns safe from the fire.

And with that said, I really like Grumpy's profile picture.

I can understand why people would think that Gwazi's joke is terrible.
... What? I'll likely be joking about this incident rather soon, but I didn't joke about it yet.
All I did was call someone out not for joking but for telling people not to feel bad about the situation.

Like Alan and Grumpy requested though, dropping this.
I just figured I should clarify to Spectre where the anger of this thread was aimed.

Last edited:
It makes me sad to see that people are making jokes about this issue - and that in some other places online they are using this tragedy to push their political agenda. This is not a competition, something to "suck up", a reason to fight or bicker... it is a tragedy. Calling it anything less is completely moronic and just plain insensitive! Imagine if that was your home and your family... everything from your home to your clothing to your pets would be gone in smoke. This is a complete tragedy.

I live in a smaller Northern town in Ontario and we are trying our best to help... sending items like diapers, water, and food, and most of all making monetary donations. If we had a dry season this could very well be us and I think that really hits home with my community. I hope that donations are enough to help these displaced people. I saw on the news today a community center in Alberta equipped with donations, food, snacks, and areas for kids to play. I can only imagine what these people and their families might be going through. The thing that really breaks my heart is that many people had to leave their pets behind... :(

Pray or hope or do whatever you do to help rain come to Alberta in the next few days. They say its like spitting on a campfire at this point, and the weather needs to cooperate before more is lost.

It makes me sad to see that people are making jokes about this issue - and that in some other places online they are using this tragedy to push their political agenda. This is not a competition, something to "suck up", a reason to fight or bicker... it is a tragedy. Calling it anything less is completely moronic and just plain insensitive! Imagine if that was your home and your family... everything from your home to your clothing to your pets would be gone in smoke. This is a complete tragedy.

I live in a smaller Northern town in Ontario and we are trying our best to help... sending items like diapers, water, and food, and most of all making monetary donations. If we had a dry season this could very well be us and I think that really hits home with my community. I hope that donations are enough to help these displaced people. I saw on the news today a community center in Alberta equipped with donations, food, snacks, and areas for kids to play. I can only imagine what these people and their families might be going through. The thing that really breaks my heart is that many people had to leave their pets behind... :(

Pray or hope or do whatever you do to help rain come to Alberta in the next few days. They say its like spitting on a campfire at this point, and the weather needs to cooperate before more is lost.
A few days ago the forecast said we would get rain today, but that wasn't the case. I looked at the forecast again today, and unfortunately it doesn't look like there's going to be anything but sun and high temperatures for the next week. :( The worst part about this is that the fire has officially been deemed too large to stop without rain. The blaze has engulfed over 80,000 hectares right now. I don't want to think how much larger it might get without rain.

A few days ago the forecast said we would get rain today, but that wasn't the case. I looked at the forecast again today, and unfortunately it doesn't look like there's going to be anything but sun and high temperatures for the next week. :( The worst part about this is that the fire has officially been deemed too large to stop without rain. The blaze has engulfed over 80,000 hectares right now. I don't want to think how much larger it might get without rain.
Are you from Fort Mac? I can only imagine what the province is going through. Apparently it is ranging in the $9 billion range right now and will be the largest insurance issue in Canadian history. The photos of the aftermath remind me of Chernobyl....

Are you from Fort Mac? I can only imagine what the province is going through. Apparently it is ranging in the $9 billion range right now and will be the largest insurance issue in Canadian history. The photos of the aftermath remind me of Chernobyl....
We're both from Edmonton (so far as I remember), but this is going to affect the entire province. Fort Mac was the closest major town to the oil fields. Losing it utterly butchers our local industry. It will take years to recover from the damage. This isn't province-ending but the timing for it could not possibly be worse.

Ah yeah so I bet you guys are certainly feeling the effects.

I don't want to get all economics in this time of tragedy but I do wonder what this could do to our economy and dollar, considering it has been suffering due to the oil prices lately. Despite the criticisms and unkind words of "karma" oil runs a lot of our nation and no one is going to be better off from this fire. Not to mention as you said the impact this will have on not only the local economy and industry but the entire province and nation...

My hearts and thoughts are with you all - and I hope that rain comes soon!

Ah yeah so I bet you guys are certainly feeling the effects.

I don't want to get all economics in this time of tragedy but I do wonder what this could do to our economy and dollar, considering it has been suffering due to the oil prices lately. Despite the criticisms and unkind words of "karma" oil runs a lot of our nation and no one is going to be better off from this fire. Not to mention as you said the impact this will have on not only the local economy and industry but the entire province and nation...

My hearts and thoughts are with you all - and I hope that rain comes soon!
Shikata ga nai. It will come when it comes. For now, focus on the victims, and on controlling the fire in whatever small capacity we can.

It rained around Calgary today. Perhaps it's a glimmer of hope the weather will shoft North.

Status
Not open for further replies.