Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
It's Easier to just Look at Below

Fieldset:
Aachen_Rizen_Banner_B_-_Copy.jpg

This is the In Character Thread for Kenno Matsuri.
[ (Initial Wave) Interest Thread ] - [ Out of Character / Signups ]

Previous Entries
[ Hymn of Origin ]

Fieldset:
[ Journal ] - [ Bestiary ] - [ Manual ]

Last edited:
[fieldbox=Kei Daidouji, #00ffff, solid]
Kei_Ico.jpg

[ Month of ???, ??? / ??? / Darn You Ghosts ]

That bastard. Those bastards.

This wasn't real. He wasn't....

He was gonna kill her. Yes, that'd solve it. He should have sided with that weird guy earlier. He was right to try and kill her. Was he listening to somebody speak? No it was a noble. They weren't people. They were cages. Cages. Kei stopped twitching for a moment. He seemed to have an idea, even though he frankly had no clue what exactly was being discussed. He also decided it didn't matter. Nothing in this make-believe town mattered.

". . . I'll kill you. That ends it. That ends all of it. I'll kill you and you can finally stop this. Cirika."

His head hurt, he was trapped within the town, nothing made sense. Branded. Like cattle.

"Cirika. You did this to us. If you stop we can all go home. I can do it. I need to go back. I can't stop this. You have to let us leave. And if you don't.... all the dollhouse burns. I don't care."
Something was little off. However, Kei could feel the chain as surely as he could see the bars of his prison. He wasn't going back. He was never going to go back to that existence. Shackles and chains and dark rooms where you sat quietly and hoped the guards were in a good enough mood not to pick you to beat half to death. "The villagers are all dead anyway! Just like you are! Dead for years and years and years! You're buried in a graveyard! None of this is real nor does it exist you stupid spirit! I don't care if I have to strangle you with my knives or bare hands, but I'll kill you until you understand that this is all an illusion. That'll work, right Rumiko? She just has to realize that she's dead, right?"

Perhaps this was overboard, but Kei didn't care. He wasn't going to another kind of jail. He wasn't.

He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't.

@Ehb @RedArmyShogun @everyone
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox= Tsubaki Hanejima, lightgreen, solid]
Tsubaki_Ico.jpg

[ Month of ???, ??? / ??? ]

Tsubaki's hunch was right in the beginning. The group should have sided that man. Perhaps she gets to grill Saburo in extreme heat when they are in the Purgatory later on, considering that he was the first one who attacked Vladis. Regardless, all is moot now, as the current situation has gone for the worst. Both Cirika and Lord Moriya deemed the way how Rumiko spoke was 'uncouth', and then there was Kei going all murderous in hopes to escape the ghost realm.

Tsubaki gave a loud sigh, thinking what she should do. Should the noble attempt to simmer down the explosive situation, or just detonate it and see where it takes them? At this point, Tsubaki felt it was pointless. But there is someone that she cannot allowed to be sent to the Purgatory.

Runara.

Her eyebrows narrowed, her resolves renewed. She knows she has to do something to stop everything from spiraling out of control. Not for herself, but for her employer, to atone for her transgressions. Serious offenses that made her exiled from the Hanejima family, where she has to embark a trial by fire journey around Rizen to redeem herself. As such, this is not a time to be trapped in the realm of the dead.

The noble's fists quickly balled into a pair of solid knuckles that was placed behind her back. Once she laid out her plans inside her thoughts, she walked towards Kei with an apathetic face and...

*SLAP*

From the others, Tsubaki's right hand was moving so fast that it was a blur when it struck Kei's face. Once that was done, the noble turned to Cirika.

"I apologize for Mitsurugi-san's imprudence towards you, and Daidouji-san's idiotic behavior, Ikkikari-ojousama." Tsubaki did a slight bow. "But her impatience has its own merits. Mitsurugi-san is a valued priestess in her homeland, and her people needs her healing and her assistance, especially her homeland was suffering a series of drought and plague. She may sound rude, but she is a sincere person."

She continued on, with her noble tone.

"As for why we helped you, Cirika-ojousama, is because you promised us a speedy exit from Haschou before the snows fall, provided that we defeated the Berserk Fangs and bring the head of its alpha. Considering that we have slept for unknown days, doesn't mean that we're overdue for our work?"

She turned to Rumiko for a bit, before returning her gaze to Cirika and Lord Moriya.

"That was why Mitsurugi-san here pleaded to Ojousama to bring us to the Berserk Fangs once more, considering that the quest ended prematurely with us being knocked out shortly after we defeated Vladis. The earlier we defeat those pack of wolves preying around the outskirts of Haschou, the earlier we can leave the town, and the earlier the outskirts are safe to travel."

Then her emerald eyes turned to Lord Moriya.

"Speaking of business, I assume once we managed to bring the head of the Alpha Berserk Fang, all of your provided services that we utilized when we were unconscious is considered paid right? Along with the travel pass? That was the initial deal we agreed on. Ojousama can vouch our fighting abilities, considering we defeated both the 3 wolves and Vladis without having Ojousama to do anything arduous."

The noble then relaxed herself.

"I know this may sound too immediate or demanding, or even puzzling considering that we just woke up from our beds, but getting out of Haschou is our utmost priority. We hope Moriya-sama and Ikkikari-ojousama can understand our plight."

After she was done, Tsubaki did proper 90 degree bow to both Cirika and Lord Moriya.

"I thank you for your attention."

@Ehb[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
[fieldbox=, white, Solid]
[ Month of Chill, Haschou Village / Moriya Manor ]

The situation became even more tense when Kei blurted it all out. The travelers knew that this place did not naturally exist any longer. Rather, it was a figment that they had all unwittingly ended up being drawn into, and now seemed to be stuck in. The concept of being 'caged' in this realm, without any way out was the tipping point for him.

Still, Cirika and Lord Moriya received his sayings as a madman. Through and through he was unhinged, it seemed to them.

The girl named Tsubaki slapped him.
She attempted to mitigate the damage caused by Kei and Rumiko's words.

Tsubaki's had managed to prevent things from erupting into a fight at that very moment. Still though... some damage had been done.

"...I can understand the plight of one of your companions.
" Cirika said, somewhat wearily. "But, that boy just said he wanted to kill... all of us? That we're already dead?"

"Must be mighty difficult, having to attend to someone with a disturbed mind. Or maybe that too is an affect of the Hex."

Lord Moriya concluded.
He then turned to Cirika.

"What say you, Lady Cirika?"

"Me?"
"There is a sincerity with this young woman. I surmise she speaks the truth on behalf of her companions. Would you trust them again?"

"I would not."
"If getting out of Haschou is your top priority then... there's nothing to stop you from leaving, then."

Cirika's words attracted the immediate response from Lord Moriya.

"And Payment for My Services? Lady Cirika?"

"I'll cover it. Whatever just happened now, the fact remains that they did fight on my behalf when Vladis attacked. For that, nursing you back for whatever ailed you as a result of defeating him is thanks enough. If you all need to leave that badly, then leave. At this point, you owe us nothing and we owe you nothing in return."

Lord Moriya gave a simple sigh. It was a little dissatisfied.

"But mind you, that doesn't include giving them the special pass, either. Lady Cirika, if you decide to overlook this, the fact remains that those beasts continue to hound the forests outside the village. The travelers have expressed interest in continuing the deal."

"...And that's the part I don't understand."
Cirika said plainly.

"The things that you people are saying are contradictory. It should be clear to you by now that the season of Frost has set in. You say that you want to leave as quickly as possible but, you still offer to take out the Berserk Fangs?"
Cirika's eyes narrowed a little. "If you're so hard set to get out of here as quickly as possible then it should've be obvious. The rivers out here freeze during frost. Getting a pass from Lord Moriya... one that's about to expire is meaningless. Crossing a frozen river is a moot point against going out and trying to traverse the valley in the midst of Frost."

"Why offer to exterminate the Berserk Fangs still, if you're just allowed to leave? I don't understand it."

If Cirika Ikkikari dies, the world will reset.
That was a fact that Vladis had made clear to them.

In fact, there was a certain factoid to keep in mind about this Vladis Character.
He had mentioned that he was somewhere in the village before he rushed to find them after finding out they had arrived. Could it be inferred that he didn't want to travel too far from the village, or that he simply wasn't able to do so?

The option to walk out and try to brave the cold to leave the valley was there.
But what conclusions awaited them out there?

They could feel things for themselves now in this world. The dissattchment that was so pervasive before getting branded was now gone. It didn't seem like a stretch that they could freeze to death out there if they left unprepared. And, additionally, at any time if Cirika would die, the entire world would reset. There was a sense that they were now existing under the same rules that Vladis was trapped here under. With Cirika out of sight, there was no way to tell when that would happen.

There were so many unknowns. Yet, the fact remained that they still had pressing issues back where they had come from.

Where exactly were they?
They had been transported to this realm due to the actions of the malevolent spirits of the graveyard, who were seeking to escape the Neithare, or the realm of the dead. The Girl, Cirika, appeared before them after defeating one such spirit. It could be said, that this 'Cirika' was associated with the sword that the spirit had possessed in order to wretch their bodies away from them.

This realm was painstakingly detailed. Cirika, according to Vladis, was living here unaware of her true fate. The world was built to... cage her and whoever was unfortunate enough to accompany her, in. It went without saying that Cirika was probably important. The Sigils associated with Vladis and now stamped onto them indicated that her time loop and the entrapment were the work of an outside entity.

Furthermore, it could be said that the blade in Tsubaha's possession was the vessel in which all of this was taking place.

But the ultimate question that remained way why go to the trouble?
In this realm...
Cirika had a measure of free will to think on her own. And, the people around her, as evidenced by Lord Moriya, were too 'real' to just be called puppets.

But beyond this... no more answers could be constructed. All else was mostly speculation.

There were only three things certain:
One: This world and it's mechanisms were likely made by someone else.
Two: This world was innately tied to what would happen to Cirika.

There was a good reason no to leave her to her own devices. The further they got away from her, the further they'd distance themselves from something that could be a catalyst for the 'world' restarting. Vladis, knew very well that Cirika's death would eventually come, and had ultimately gave up upon it. He accepted the destiny that she would die to the Berserk Fangs. But he was presumably all on his own.

But with this group, they had the power to prevent that from happening. And... as long as her death was avoided, 'time' in this world would continue to move unabated.

"I was impressed by your combat abilities. But, when it comes down to it, this Village can take care of the Berserk Fang problem on it's own. I promised Father that I'd handle the issue myself. When it comes down to it, I'm sure that myself and a couple other will be able to handle it."

Cirika looked to the side.

"If all you want to do is leave, then there's no need for further discussion, then."

"Being so stubborn will only get you so far... Lady Cirika" Lord Moriya mumbled to himself.

Cirika's death, would set things back to square one. Her going out to face the berserk fangs again would risk that chance. Imagine, just walking around in the could, then suddenly...

What would the world restarting even look like?
Come to think of it, did that not seem a bit like a game?

In the game of Armies, when the King Peice fell in battle then the match would be decided. A new match would start, with everything put back into the initial game-state.

If that logic were applied here, then wouldn't that make Cirika Ikkikari the king piece, by which the fate of the entire game lie?

With that in mind, the answer seemed to be straightforward.
Keep Cirika Ikkikari from dying.
While her true self might be dead in the real world, this world revolved around her life an death within it's own narrative.
For that reason, it was not in the traveler's best interests to see if they could just come across an 'exit' to the world before she dies.

No, stumbling upon an exit would not be that easy. If it were, there Vladis would've probably found it. But instead, according to his words, all was governed by his, or her deaths. Ultimately, it might've just come down to her own death, as it would happen whether he died or not.

Their relationship to her was a tad bit more sour at the moment, due to words said.
But, as much as it pained them, the more they thought about it, the more it was apparent that this 'prison' they had stumbled into wasn't something of a day-trip either. Whether seconds, days, or years were passing, the world did not care for anything beyond restarting whenever this single girl died in it's narrative.

Looking among one another, they all mentally came to that sort of conclusion.

So what now?
Death was unavoidable.
People familiar with the Tousawa Tales know that if this eternal 'retelling' of Cirika Ikkikari's life was faithful, she would still be fated to die at the hands of Shadows sent by an opposing tribe that fateful day before the Pilgrimage Began. But how long would that even be?

It was still a dismal outlook.

"It not all that tasteful to be going out of your way to put yourself into danger Lady Cirika. Look, these people are offering to take out the wolves... we need you to lead the village someday."

"Even if I go down, someday, someone else will likely take my place. Danger is something I'll have to be prepared to face. After all, we'll have to make set for Demon Crown Mountain soon after the Frost Subsides."

The Plimgrimage... THAT fated pilgrimage?
Were they saying that it was due to happen in just a few months, then?

The Historical Cirika Ikkikari was supposed die just before that Pilgrimige Began.
In a world that is built to replay what had happened to Cirika Before then...
...would having her survive past that day create enough of a paradox to break the seal that had been placed upon them?

It was likely that on his own power, Vladis was not able to defeat the wolves, much less the shadows who would ultimately end her story. But, with the whole lot of them here... And, due to the fact that it is possible to transfer the cursed sigil to another entity by having another entity 'take over'.

It sounded a lot like the intended 'key' to leave this world was to defy history itself.

Even then, it was a monumental task. But, it was within reach. It was an event that would happen in a matter of months, as opposed to years. They, a bunch of outsiders, would have to remain in the village and keep close proximity to her in order to test that theory out.

The choice remained theirs.
But it was likely the world would not be any less ruthless in it's functions towards them as it was with Vladis.

Would they go and try to get Cirika Ikkikari to live past her actual lifetime?
Or would they attempt to cling onto a notion that they could stumble upon an exit before 'time' ran out?

"Well then Travelers. Nothing left to impede you to go out and freeze to death. Get 'cold feet' at that notion?"

"It seems that you are divided upon wanting to leave and wanting to help defeat the berserk fangs - and then leave. ...What might your unified intentions be, I ask?"

@_Everyone
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox= Saburo, #FF00FF, solid]

Saburo_Ico.jpg

Was this his fault?

Please

This prospect of an eternal hell facing him.

Please don't

What great sin had he commited to deserve this? What ancestor had a great curse placed on his bloodline? What God had he besmirched? What type of monster had he been in a past life?

I don't want this.

Perhaps the world itself had mistaken him for the Pirate King as well.

The despair had truly crept in now. Before he was still believing that this would straight forward enough. The aura made it so clear that they were not part of this world. That it would be easy to get out.

But now, they were just like them. He was quickly missing the faceless, they at least reminded him that they were different.

Let me go.

The light was fading inside him.

What had he done to get jailed. What had he done to get forced into the tournament. What had he done to get into a literal undead realm. What had he done to be stuck here forever?

He dragged a finger across the freshly marked signil.

The easy choice...it was supposed to be the easier choice. Oh and how the world laughed at him. Pulling the ground away from him with glee. Great villains deserved this fate. Murderers. People who strived for power beyond their capabilites. He just wanted to go home. What was so wrong with that!?

A laughably cruel and monsterous fate laid ahead of him. And he could do nothing but watch. The quicksand only dragging him deeper as he struggled.

And they had taken his silk. That just seemed unnecessary.

Commotions and such happened away from his pity corner. He listened as much as the unoccupied part of his mind could. Another fight nearly broke out. He found it hard to care. It didn't really matter who died with the situation they were in.

Kei seemed about to try and kill Cirika. Saburo felt that he should try and help him with that. Hah, even in death he was a coward.

"Well then Travelers. Nothing left to impede you to go out and freeze to death. Get 'cold feet' at that notion?"
"It seems that you are divided upon wanting to leave and wanting to help defeat the berserk fangs - and then leave. ...What might your unified intentions be, I ask?"

"We should ask that ourselves..." Turning around to face the rest of the room. It was clear from his red eyes and his wet cheeks what Saburo had been doing.

"As my companion said. We all have....very urgent reasons to leave. But, um, give us the benefit of the doubt. We did protect Cirika from a wanna-be assassin."

Saburo looked over to his group as he wiped his cheeks of frozen tears. Weary eyes stared at them.

"I suppose that we're trapped here...then..." Saburo grimaced. "For the winter, I mean."

He picked at his new clothing. "I suppose we can't escape it, then." Saburo sighed. His eyes stayed fixed on his group with an unfamilar blanklessness.. "W-We have to tell them the truth."

"The Pirate King is coming." He paused for a moment, before turning to Cirikia and Lord Moriya. "That, er, is why we want to get out of here with such desperation."
"Him and his army...You are secluded in this valley, so perhaps you might be one of the few unaware of what his name means. But he is coming, nevertheless. The one who can control Spirits...the.."
He found himself using some lines Tsubaha told him when they met.

He gestured faintly to the blue hair stabby boy. "He was captured by the Pirate King for only a few days. And...w-well look at him. Hasn't been the same since. We are the few to have escaped his wraith. We er, fleed into the valley. Hoping to find another exit to avoid him. But..."

Saburo looked down at the floor, bitterly. "Finding an exit, seems unlikely now."

"Kei may be, a little unhinged. But he brought word to us about the Pirate King's plan. To burn this valley down to the ground. To be the Demon Crown himself." He coughed, looking at Kei. "He can tell you himself. He's made an alliance with one of the other tribes in secret somehow. He prepares to attack with this other tribe as the season of frost ends. Perhaps even a little before that."

"Around, this...er, pilgrimage you talk about, even."

Saburo licked his lips which suddenly felt very dry. He hated talking. Also, from his very faint memory of this place's history. There was a large chance that the actual raid on this place happened years later. But, that didn't matter.

"We....apologise for our cowardice towards not telling you. But we feared we would be held back if we told of this oncoming threat. But, er, well, there's no fault in that now."

"In....our eyes. We saw you as lost. That is what Kei means. The Pirate King has never lost a fought. Never failed to taken what he wanted." Saburo gave a sickened smile. "Suppose we're in the same boat now."

"Perhaps, if even this Vladis was a spirit under the Pirate King's control. We cannot know. But we implore you, heed our words."

"And, allow us. Who are...unfamilar with this...world. To adapt to the stress w-we are under and..."
Saburo turned to the group. "H....help?"

@Ehb
@Karyra
@RedArmyShogun[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=Runara Blazeheart, #ffa64d, solid]

Runara_Ico.jpg

After eliminating that man named Vladis... She felt a burn on her forehead, 'what... is this...?' she thought. Was killing Cirika is actually the answer for them to escape? But... The man saying the act that was done onto him transferred the seal. So if that's what he's saying... Then, the party must die in a hand of a unmarked traveler so they can escape...?

Slowly the world felt even more real to her... 'This... this wasn't supposed to happen...' she thought once again, as she lost her consciousness in the forest.

. . .

. . .

"AAAH!" She jolted up from her bed, looking around and see that this place was the manor where the party agrees to take out the pack of Berserk Fangs. Judging by the cold air that she came to, it would seems that the Frost already came, they're already too late to walk away from Haschou. And the Lord of Moriya House came to check on them along with Cirika. Strangely, the once faceless Lord now have a recognizeable face. Something that the party didn't see before they take out Vladis. Listening in to the conversation, it would seem that they were out for some days and that the Berserk Fangs are still out there terrorizing the village outskirts.

Looking down, it would seem that her clothings had been replaced. She's not that comfortable with this current clothing than with her dance clothes. Even at winter, the thing that most would barely call a clothing is enough to keep herself warm. And then the brand on her forehead... It was probably the curse that the man had transferred to her and the rest of the party.

While she adjusts her clothings so that it fits with what she usually wear, a more skin revealing outfit. She watches over the others talking towards Cirika and Lord Moriya. Rumiko wanting to continue the task they've been handed in, although in a rather uncivilized and threatening way. And then Kei, almost creating more tension with his outburst on how he'll kill everyone. Thankfully... Tsubaki, her servant was probably the most calm and mentally sane person that she could rely on. Talking towards Cirika and Lord Moriya in the most civilized manner ever. Not to forget that she slapped Kei so loud that it would probably be justified.

She took this chance to think for herself. Wondering how to escape this realm as they're already at this point. Considering some facts about Vladis, and then the part about this place being even more real after being branded. And the fact that the pilgrimage would start right after Frost.

The Pilgrimage... What if they managed to keep Cirika alive and broke the supposed fate that was brought onto her before the Pilgrimage...? Looking over to Saburo, it surprised her that a supposed Pirate King would cry over all the misfortune that had happened... Even so, hearing him talking, it seemed that he had the same idea that Runara had in mind. Though the mention of Pirate King however... 'So he's not actually the pirate king then?' She wondered. All that sweet talk aside, it seemed that he had a similar goal in mind with the dancer.

Twirling her hair as she looked towards Cirika and Lord Moriya. With her clothes already modified so it's now revealing the skin over her top body, while still covering the parts that definitely need covering. "Well... Before I say my piece... I will ask, can I have my clothes back? Sorry, that outfit is a symbol of grace and purity in my school. And also that it was an important sentimental thing to me." She said, asking for her clothes back.

"And then... As we've failed your requests in taking out the Berserk Fangs. I..." She looked towards the others, allowing others to think that she had something in mind to escape this realm. "Allow me... No wait, allow us... To serve you for a few months to atone for our failure..." She said, looking serious while also bowing towards Cirika and Lord Moriya. As she rises up however...

"I mean, you did see our skills no? We're awesome like that! If only that Vladis didn't ruin our task we would've gotten the Alpha heads!" She gloated on the party skills with full confidence. "And, we could accompany you with your pilgrimage! That way your chance on finishing it will increase tenfold! You've seen that physical prowess of the priestess no? And then my cool Iai-stance swordstress servant? And that knife pervert! And well, that guy too! And also me!" She pointed to each of the others excitedly.

"So please... will you let us serve you for the time being?" She said to Cirika, pleading to be allowed in service.

@Ehb
@Miya
@_Everyoneelse
[/fieldbox]

It was a little abrupt, how the conversation's endgame seemed to be shifting. It had began with Rumiko wanting to leave as soon as possible, the knife wielder wanting to kill everyone. But following Tsubaki, that notion seemed to be changing somewhat. From leaving as soon as possible to helping... to serving?

Lord Moriya coughed out a thinly veiled attempt to hush a laugh.

"My... such moving words from that girl."

"But true enough, I think they are coming to understand their situation a little better. Should we pin the blame for the uncouth speech earlier to being the product of a Daze from waking up, then?"

Lord Moriya regained his composure.

"...Joking aside. Quite a heel face turn. Maybe you all have come to the realization that trying to trudge your way though several weeks worth of snow will lead to nothing but a bad ending. Without coin and in a foreign land, the best course of action to survive is to serve under someone of power."
"I can't tell if you folk are geniuses or foolish beyond compare. Still... what say you then, Lady Cirika?"

"...There's no doubt in my mind that they'd be powerful allies. But... Beastkin. Even if I assume your offer is sincere, is everyone else for it? A memento ago, one of you were desperate to leave, get your clothes back, and threatening to kill - but all of those intentions seem to have been reversed - aside from getting your garments back."

"And I did not miss: the whole pirate king affair the young man has mentioned."

"Yes. that's..."

Cirika closed her eyes. trying to process what had just been thrown out by the travelers.

A fourth-coming inevitable attack.
And a desire to serve... temporarily.
They were two different subjects, each worth a long talk on their own. But...

Opening her eyes, Cirika responded. In an instant her presence became overbearing.
"I'm not convinced. About what you've said thus far. I want to hear and see it for myself. From the rest of you. Even if you and him are sincere in wanting to help, then what's to say that the other one of you will turn as soon as the opportunity presents itself?"

Yes... Cirika was still weary from what Rumiko and Kei had said earlier. Since they hadn't spoken up again, how they felt about the entire setup remained uncertain.

"Travelers... allow me to educate you on a certain thing from these parts. About how the Daimyou and Lords work - since I think you don't quite understand the gravity of what you've said. Lady Cirika is bound to become Daimyou of this village. But, since she's just barely come of age she has no retinue beyond her bodyguard assigned by Lord Ikkikari - Arara."

"The first set of retinue that a Lord Accepts the service of is a monumental occasion. So... Lady Cirika, I must ask - why are you even allowing yourself to entertain this malformed bequest?"

"They really did save my life. Whatever they've said thus far, the fact that they did remains true. So... even if it is a temporary service, I owe them at least a sincere consideration and approach to their offer."

"Of service... you're seriously going to consider this rabble as your direct retinue? For a temporary bout, might I add?"

Cirika nodded... and Lord Moriya breathed out and shook his head.

"You might as well make Kiri a member of your honor guard at this point. Not like that would ever happen."

"Well then, what say the rest of you? For the duration of the Season of Frost, will you serve me? To your honor?"

The scene somehow got a bit heavy all of a sudden, here in this guest room....
While Saburo, Runara, and by extension Tsubaki had already stated their will help serve, the others remained in the air. In particular was Rumiko and Kei.

Undoubtedly, for the latter two it would be harder to accept making such a promise. Given their circumstances. However... maybe the approach of trying to help the world as opposed to trying to fight against it was the better course of action, at this point.

@RedArmyShogun
@Karyra
@_Everyone

Info: Vowing to serve Cirika will temporarily set her as an Active Party Member in place of Tsubaha. She possesses a different set of Techs, though she inherits the EP and available UP Tsubaha had, and will gain them like Tsubaha would. Going against this will allow the party to retain it's independence, allowing for freeform approaches to problems that may arise. However, forfeiting the Ikkikari's direct guidance opens up the possibility of your choices directly contributing to a negative outcome at the end of the story arc.

[/fieldbox]

[Fieldbox= Rumiko Mitsurugi, #b30000, solid]
Rumiko_Ico.jpg

[ Month of ???, ??? / here be wolf monsters ]

Glaring, that Noble Lord deserved a good pounding into the ground and what she recalled of history so did his Daughter. And of course she still hadn't put the pieces together.. Pausing to reflect on matters, her ire picks back up at mention of serving this figment of the past. Cirika and her whole town were just idiots, stupid idiots in a game beyond their awareness. They were all dead and had played a role in dooming their nation and people, into leading life expectancies going into freefall, a large war, more and more stupidity aside. Now they were threatening what slim chance Rumiko had of recovering it.

"Kei..enough.." Sighing a bit she understood him very well, but this place struck her as a stupid game more than as a great evil by design. Cirika for her deeds in life was more likely than not cursed.. And so far all attempts to make her see the facts of the matter had fallen on deaf ears.

Pondering on it, had that unfortunate they met before managed to kill her? More importantly just how did she remember him from before? How far back did time roll on a reset and how were new features implemented without Cirika being aware they weren't part of it?

The sword seemed to be the source of this all...how difficult would it be to shatter that blade into dust? The craftsmanship was exquisite and it wasn't likely Cirika would part with it lightly, also if she died before the blade was shattered or it's seals were removed, then it all reset.. On the plus side they should be able to wander around the Village and a few of their number could easily wander off..

Forming some sort of plan in her mind, more information was needed.. Snatching her head around to give a glare at the Dancer, the Miko grunts; "I'm afraid I can't agree to service, as to killing the beasts, as I said I am a Priestess, of the Kousen Sect, I cannot serve any Daimyo, the Kousen sect specializes in punishing possessions, performing rites and exterminating monsters..and the undead, so I am bound into aiding the spirits of the helpless as I come across them. But ah, I do accept donations.."

Letting the last word linger ever so slightly as her gaze shifted to the others in the room she sighs. Rumiko closes her eyes briefly while taking a deep breath, with a writing motion of her right hand, she seemed to write in her dairy by habit, regardless if it was there or not.

"Kei, they already think we are crazy and that one man was driven crazy.. I'll need to speak with you and a couple others after this. I'll stay here with this traveling group.."

I should have left long ago.

"All I ask is we have free reign to move about the village, I don't much like depending solely on Cirika to learn about these beasts and the Village it's self. Consider me a visiting Shrine Maiden if you like.."

Rumiko had no idea how slowly time passed in this world, but killing Cirika would likely send them back months, which was unacceptable. The question was even if they did defeat Cirika earlier, would she have not just reset this all? For now learning about that sword or finding the boatman themselves was the best course of action, or finding any of the faceless spirits whom could talk.. The source of this curse needed to be found and crushed.

Baring that completion of her failure may release this world, or continue it in a perpetual hell.. "Let us just say, for reasons you cannot comprehend we cannot just leave so easily and neither can you. I could claim we are time travelers and tell you all of history, but you would likely not believe me.. So yes, I have no intention of serving you and the time I could have walked away has long since passed. So I shall help out where I can."

Giving a partial agreement, Rumiko already had mind to assign a task to Yuan and the Midget Ninja, well if she were still here.. Kei also might be of use in this...the rest though? This warranted an investigation and just maybe they could get out of here before their bodies were eaten by some sort of monster or rotted... But maybe little time had passed, either way Rumiko intended to be proactive in her attempt to find and to destroy the source of this curse..or at least to get some answers out of the Merchant.

And if it came to it, she had one final idea to try... To think they would be beaten, not by some hunter or Shang conspiracy, but because of a stupid ghost and as someone held too much of a grudge to make a curse this large as a punishment that the ghost wasn't even aware of. The point of punishment was awareness of it.. Maybe clues where here, or the Kami would be merciful on the passage of time...

Sighing a bit and looking at the Pirate King, Rumiko shakes her head, at Saburo's remarks. While not hostile, the action could be taken as a nice way of telling him it was pointless to try and explain much to her. His offer was sound enough, but his spirits weren't as high as before, searching for something to say she gives a quick nod. "Don't worry we aren't trapped here yet.."

While she had no means to prove it, thinking otherwise would just draw them into madness and death like that poor crazed villager than ran into earlier.

@Ehb @Karyra @Rithas @others
[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
Kei_Ico.jpg

As he ranted, Tsubaki walked up to him and... slapped him. He didn't quite process how fast she was speaking or what she said until a few seconds later. She was sucking up to Cirika. That... brown noser. She was trying to suck up to that noble as if this wasn't that.... that.... that fool's fault for them all being here in the first place.

So they just play her sick little game as the chains on their wrists tightened and tightened. This cage was exactly that. A cage filled with fake people for a lonely girl. A spirit that had also attacked them at the start of all this. How could they just forgive her for this. Talk to her like she wasn't something malevolent that was keeping them as part of the scenery.

So.... Saburo was covering for his outburst. How kind. Though... it looked like that fearsome Pirate King had been crying. Pathetic. They were all pathetic and all he could do was stay there with them and let them help this spirit that held them all in this place. However, if they had decided that they were going to say the Pirate King was coming... He had no choice but to look crazed as though he was afraid of someone who wasn't coming.

"I serve no one. I won't take a vow, but if the others stay then I will too. But I won't be some toy for a noble. Not again. So you'd better get used to someone as they please, and not just to please you snooty jerks. And if you demand a vow, then I'm out of here. I don't care about this village. However, if it gets my goals more within reach, I'll help. But I won't take a vow. I. Refuse."

Rumiko had also seemed to agree not to join in vowing allegiance to a dead spirit.

"And Rumiko, we are trapped. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean we aren't. There's nowhere to go unless you feel like freezing to death just a little outside the village. We are as surely trapped as Vladis was. Make no mistake. This is a cage. A cage that will be crushed by...."
Kei looked at Saburo. "...The Pirate King. Sooner or later, it'll happen. And no one will be prepared."

And more quietly, to Runara, "call me a pervert again. Don't think that I need knives to end you."

@RedArmyShogun @Rithas @Ehb @LowDefinition @ThePartyComittee
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox=Kiri Moriya, #ffb7c5, solid]
Kiri_KNMIco.jpg

". . . I'll kill you. That ends it. That ends all of it. I'll kill you and you can finally stop this. Cirika."

Someone was making a fuss. Such a loud fuss. Why did people always do this? This wasn't even the usual fuss of servants bustling about that was easy to tune out: this was an unfamiliar fuss. A new voice echoing through the manor.

Over in an unassuming corner, a massive pile of pillows began to yawn. Just when enough time had passed for the average observer to begin believing they'd imagined it, a pair of pillows bulged out and eventually swung open like a door. From the new opening rolled a well-dressed girl with short blue hair, still clutching a fluffy pillow in her arms.

Standing up more properly, Kiri followed the strange voices. They just kept going and going, talking about... well... tiring stuff probably. Once Kiri was finally close enough, she paused to peek into the room from behind.

"Oooohhhh, they're awake..." Kiri called dreamily to the inhabitants of the room!? She took a moment to stare at the Doven like it was some sort of novelty before venturing further inside. Despite being woefully out of the loop, she still took the liberty of butting into the latest topic with her own thoughts.

"Cages can be nice though, as long as they're comfy." She gave the blue-haired boy a little pat on the shoulder to comfort him.

"Good choice passing up Ciri's offer though," Kiri lightheartedly murmured in a hush to the giant priestess and the shout-y guy. "She'd just boss you around all the time and you'd never get any sleep."

Meandering over to the bed the doven was previously lying in, Kiri adjusted the covers 'just so' and sprawled herself out on top, chin resting in her hands as she continued to butt in from the more comfortable spot.

"Is there really an evil pirate coming after us? And you were just going to leave us here without telling us?" Despite the calm and drowsy aura she was giving off, Kiri's tone betrayed her growing concern. "That's awfully scummy," she accused.

@Ehb
@Karyra
@RedArmyShogun
@Rithas
@LowDefinition
@Miya[/fieldbox]

It sounded like the priestess and the one with the bright hair had made up their minds. They didn't have much trust in Cirika's offer to serve her. But that left a bit of a dilemma, on a part of the group. A certain part of them were wanting to go ahead with it, and another part against.

There was also that part about Kiri suddenly appearing from her Pillow Fortress but that was besides the point.
To that, Lord Moriya visibly could be seen visibly sighing a bit at his daughter's sudden intrusion... but didn't go beyond that. The scolding, and literally sleeping with the outsiders, was something that would have to come a bit later.

The two were hard headed.

"I don't know what a Shine Maiden is exactly. Unless you being a Shrine Maiden implies you'll be compelled to ask of donations of our scarce supplies then I have no reason to concern over what you profess yourself to be. If your definition of 'freedom' is asking around the town like any traveler, then fine. No harm done. If you are implying we give you free access to the Keep, the Stores, or the Hallow then that is a definite no."

@RedArmyShogun

Brushing off his shoulder, Lord Moriya continued.

"Like any visitors, refrain from causing any sort of trouble with the townspeople or guards and we'll leave you be."

Lord Moriya's eyes fell on Kei. Who instinctual glared back at the noble.
Moriya was not perturbed though. The look he gave back to Kei was cold - like a man deciding whether or not to kick a dog for being disobedient.

"We shall especially be keeping an eye on that blue haired one. Be sure to keep your Feeble Minded one to heel. Won't be responsible if the guards deem him a threat that need be exterminated, talking about attacking the Daimyou's Family like it be the weather."

@Karyra

Finally Lord Moriya's eyes fell on...
Saburo.

He walked right up to Saburo. His stare was intensely burning right through Saburo's eyesockets.

"And you. If you are the only refugees to escape such a man then he must be move Quick, or this king is quite thurough in his exterminations. I think I'll go ask around the 'neighborhood' a little, about how they feel about it. We shall most certainly be having a talk later on, boy. And for your sake, let us hope my neighbors like your story."

Saburo didn't like the undertones of what had just been said.
Did he just formulate a lie in front of someone who he should've been trying to lie to? C!@).

@Rithas

"So then, Lady Cirika. How may you proceed? Most of them have agreed to help, so why not take in those ones under your wing?"

Thinking for a moment, Cirika seemed to be a little torn. A little disheartened too even as subtle inflections in her expression seemed to fight over how exactly to respond to these 'responses'. She looked between Rumiko and Kei for a moment.

"I'm sorry."
"I suppose it was a bit too abrupt to ask such a think of you all. After all, we've all just met."
"Please forget that I even suggested it."

Looking over to Cirika, Lord Moriya closed his eyes for a moment.

"Alright then, you lot. Suppose the order of the day is to get your clothes back then."

"And, after that, I'd like for you to kindly get out of my home."

[ Month of Chill, Haschou Village / Outside Moriya Manor ]

The group was now outside. Feeling the bracing cold. Frost had most certainly set in. And right now, some of them were dressed woefully for such weather. Looking onto the group in the snow, towards the entryway of the manor was Lord Moriya with Kiri beside. They looked on as Cirika attempted to set up the travelers for what lay ahead.

"It's rare to see Lady Cirika affected by someone's words before.." Lord Moriya said. "But I'm sure she learned something from it. Trying to be kind to strangers is most often folly."

Kiri got a sense of what Cirika was attempting to do, offering to make them her servants. If they had taken that deal, they would've been a part of her retinue. Even as basically warriors, that would've given them access to the lodgings and food rations of the town guard. But, as it stood now, the travelers were going to have to find a way to provide food and shelter on their own.

"Kiriha. I'd presume Lady Cirika is returning back to the Keep. Mind you, would you please go along with her and deliver Daimyou Ikkikari a message for me?"

Not being audience to any protests, Lord Moriya passed Kiri the message, rolled into a paper.
It was one of father's fancy papers too. The ones whose messages were invisible at first glance.

"I'd believe it would be unsightly to have Lady Cirika sulk about the town for all the townspeople to see. So... off you go then. Do try not to cause much trouble for the townspeople. Nearly made Izolde Faint the last time she found you sleeping on hay bales in the Stockpile."

Throwing a coat over his daughter... Lord Moriya gently pushed Kiri out into the snow with the others.

For Kiri... It felt odd that her father didn't start interrogating the travelers over the supposed Pirate Fellow.
He was supposed be the Daimyou's Spymaster after all. Wasn't it his job to be interested in something like that?
The only Clue Kiri had to it was the blank paper that had been entrusted to her. But it was ultimately a grown-up thing to worry about.

She probably wasn't going to get let back into the house anytime soon. And even with the coat on sleeping outside was no good...
The only place that was worthy was all the way at the Keep...

She approached Cirika and the others catching in on Cirika seeing them off.

@Luma

"Thank you again for saving me."
"The town doesn't have much in the way of lodgings during this time of the year since most travelers have already left back for home. Additionally, food stores are reserved for the townspeople only, but some of the villagers will probably be happy to trade for it."

"The notice board in the town square has notices that the Nobles and the Keep put out. For example, the town's tailor is looking for the pelts of those Berserk Fangs, and will pay for each hide brought in."
"...Times are hard in the town. Things such as food have to be rationed to last through the winter. So... sorry. There's not much else
I can do to help you out."

At that moment, the stomachs of the party collectively grumbled.
Yes... all of that commotion was enough to make them forget that they haven't eaten for a while. Damn, did this mean that it was possible to actually die of hunger too? And also, did they just unintentionally make things harder for themselves, striking Cirika's offer down?

Lord Moriya might've been prithee to at least let them have at least one meal, if things hadn't gone south the moment they woke up.
It didn't matter anymore. Kei and the Priestess were well aware that their independence also meant needing to fend for themselves. As Cirika had said before, she didn't owe them anything at this point.

"My father is still looking for someone who can bring him the head of the Alpha of those Berserk Fangs. I'm pretty sure anyone would be rewarded handsomely for accomplishing that."
"I'm not exactly sure what you are all trying on doing, but best of luck with that."

@_Everyone

Info:
The party now has the option to travel about the town of Haschou and the surrounding farms and countryside. Perhaps they might discover something in their travels to assist with uncovering more about their predicament? Or just stumble on a Haschou Oddity. In any case...

Due to the choices that have been made, the party will also have to finance their ventures. This primarily means having a place to sleep and having food to eat. In order to do this, the party will have to look into taking up jobs - posted in the town's notice board. These jobs in this harsh winter is mostly tied to defeating the beasts that are hounding the townspeople.

Jobs will allow the party to explore different parts of the town. The areas that the party explores is directly tied to a job - the reason being that the party was hard at work trying not to starve or freeze to death to the point that they could only explore places close to where a relevant job already took them to.

But, first off:
The party has gone for several days asleep, but it's become apparent that they'll need to eat soon! The first task will be taking a job that'll reward them rations to eat, and allow them to decide their next move. The 'Notice Board' has been added to the Discord under 'Kenno_job;'. Once this first job is completed, you'll be able to choose which job to take and which location to explore next.

Haschou_KNM_Map.jpg

[/fieldbox]

Rumiko_Ico.jpg

Gazing at the map and job board, the Miko did not like this place, nor did she like the previous conversations, though the newcomer struck her as odd..given she had a face and personality, though Lord Moriya was also lively.. What was going on here.. if the villagers were also doing the same. Given how he carried himself, it was hardly any surprise the nation would be doomed, sighing as she looked at the information, it seemed the others had joined her.

Having intended to speak with Kei on why she was being so agreeable with this, she could not trust the rest of the group, who short of a place to sleep had to work..curiously the girl from before was also thrown out.

"Kei-san, I need to speak with you later..and Yuan if we can find him."

Pondering to think on the matters before her, there wasn't but two options really..

"We need to get some work for food, or to see if we can forage beyond the walls.. Plus a few of these places I'm interested in seeing, mostly this cave, boneyard and lodge. The Hallows within the walls, it wasn't forbidden to me... Also I think we can, hmm.. borrow where ever Vlad stayed." For a priestess, she seemed awfully fine with taking over the home of a dead man.

Turning to the rest the Miko gives a shrug while pulling down the job offer to claim it, they had little choice. "Well what would you all like to do? I'm keen to take this job, if not to take the head of the Alpha..but there are other things I could do while here.." Waiting to hear the thoughts of the others, or at least the others who had came with her at any rate.

@Karyra @anyoneelse
[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
Kiri_KNMIco.jpg

[ Month of Chill, Haschou Village / Streets ]

"Wait, I— WAH!" Kiri let out a shriek as she stumbled into the snow, catching her balance. She wanted to protest, but ultimately, nothing she could say would let her back inside, so it'd just be a waste of effort. "Uuuu, tiring..." she moaned as she wandered along to find Cirika seeing the travellers off.

"Mmm, it seems I'm on 'cheer Ciri up' duty," Kiri explained her presence with a tired smile, immediately starting to drag Cirika away. "Maybe we can have a sleepover at the Keep like we used to. It feels like it's been years since I've had a good sleepover with friends." The tone in her voice betrayed her loneliness, but she remained as cheerful as possible for a girl who refused to put energy into anything - conversation included.

Stealing a quick, backways glance at the strange travellers, Kiri pulled the coat up further over her shoulders, murmuring her thoughts aloud, "What a strange bunch of people. Maybe it's just a culture thing..."

"Oh...! But don't worry about them. I'm sure they'll be fine... so..." Kiri stared at Cirika, probing her eyes. Was she still worrying about them? Or maybe she'd finally let it go? That expressionless face: it was almost impossible to tell what she was thinking. It was classic Cirika, but awfully annoying at times. She'd try another approach.

Bending down, Kiri brushed aside some frost to scoop up a bit of the gravel pathway into her hand. Holding it up straight in front of Cirika's face, the little specs of stone began to shift to form the cartoonish face of a guardian fox. It was one of many of Kiri's more unique 'talents.'

"Why the glum face, Ciri-chan," Kiri asked in a high pitched drone out of the corner of her mouth? The little, cartoon mouth on her hand followed along. "Whenever I feel sad, I always remember the things that make me haaaaappy. Like friiiiiends, and teeeea, and warm fiiiiires~" Kiri went on, as if she were speaking to a child and not the soon-to-be Daimyo of the entire village.

@Ehb[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
[fieldbox= Saburo, #FF00FF, solid]

Saburo_Ico.jpg

Kei may have been very agitated, as they all were. But he at least followed Saburo on the Pirate King. He tried his best to give Kei a reassuring smile. Not that he had much hope, but Kei stabbing someone wasn't likely to fix things.

"Oooohhhh, they're awake..."

"W-w-w-what the flippity flip did she come from!?" Saburo hissed to himself quietly. He could only assume she was some sort of court ninja. Would he find her spying on them at night. Camofladge under a bush? No, he doubted he would. She was most likely too skilled to be caught accidentally.

"Is there really an evil pirate coming after us? And you were just going to leave us here without telling us? That's awfully scummy." Saburo frowned slightly at having to defend something he didn't even do. Oh, wait. That's all he's been doing lately. He should probably get use to it.

"W-well. So is watching people sleep!" Yeah, he got her good on that comeback. Take that ghost girl.

It only dawned on the Pirate King now that the Lord was staring at him. Saburo felt sweat run down his back as he used all his willpower to not look down at the floor and meep. As the Lord bore down on him. Saburo appeared to shrug indifferently. Even if it was actually him trying to shake the sweat off.

"T-that's, er, good. I like talks. Talks are good....." Ah, the great sight of his feet. They didn't stare back at him.

Shuffling slightly over to Kei. Saburo nudged him slightly. "Don't you worry, I'll keep this one to heel." Whatever that was supposed to mean. Was he supposed to grab stabby boy's foot? "No-,err-extermiantions needed here!"

Well, at least they had shelter.

They did not have shelter.

Apparently two votes outweighed everyone else. Perhaps Cirika did not understand the idea of majority rule. They weren't an all in one package. He would have quite liked to have make things a little easier. Course Rumiko and Kei had the tact of a brick. So that had hope had been crushed as well.

His silk clothes were given back to him at least. Unfortunately, he found they did very little to combat the frost. His toes were beginning to numb. Damn his fondness of sandals.

His gaze was fixed on the job board infront of him. His expression one of bemusement.

"Y-you know. With all these hunting quests. You'd think we'd just eat what we kill." Saburo, paused for a moment.
"-Exceptforthehumans of course! We're, er...not cannibals. hurr...hurr." The cold was getting to him.

He gazed through the board once more. "Nothing about making art." A set of puppy eyes materilized on the Pirate King's face. "They don't know what they're missing...."

@Ehb
@Karyra
@Luma
@Otherunemployedpeople. Come to the post office on tuesdays!

[/fieldbox]

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Ehb and Luma
[fieldbox=Runara Blazeheart, #ffa64d, solid]

Runara_Ico.jpg

The option to serve the Ikkikari noble lies on Rumiko and Kei. Runara had hoped that they catches on to what she's thinking on how to escape this realm. Swishing her tail around as she looked onto Rumiko and Kei expecting them to say yes... Only to be startled by a glare from the priestess. And her answer was not what Runara had wished for. Potentially dooming the chance of everyone to take it slightly easier for the time being.

And Kei's answer was the same, definitely dooming the opportunity to live easy in this realm while waiting for the chance to break this supposed fate that a certain Ikkikari noble would suffer. And mentioning the fact that they are trapped here. Then that quiet threat that was meant towards Runara... Which she answered by... "Fine, meanie..." yes, another word to define the blue haired man to Runara.

Then... A blue haired girl showed up, it seemed like she's the daughter of Lord Moriya. Runara noticed the gaze from the girl and stopped her tail from swishing around and lays it down at ease. She sounded so drowsy that Runara couldn't tell if she's sarcastic or actually meaning it or just lazy. But that's not someone she should focus on! She turned her focus back to Lord Moriya and Cirika. Adressing the shrine maiden's wish, the mean knife pervert threat, and also the ruse that Saburo came up with. And... It was what she expected, it's either everyone or forget about it. Lamenting over the fact that now she had to work for food and lodgings, she grumbled and looked at Rumiko and Kei with such displeasure.

Now outside with their own clothings, Runara shivered slightly as her clothes are very inappropriate for the current weather. Though her animalistic furs on her hands and legs certainly helped her on keeping herself warm. But it seemed like she needed clothes that covers her body well.

Looking at the notice board, she soundly grumbled. Glancing towards the Priestess and Kei.

"Gee, if only you two read up on the history books or something, and also the fact that Lord Moriya now have a face." She opened up with a mumbling complain towards what the two don't catch on. "Look, if it's before we get ourselves branded, whatever way you came up with could possibly be the way to escape." Runara continued her complain, swishing her tail furiously. "But as of now, we're already chained to this realm thanks to this brand, and I think that... If we somehow twist Cirika's fate in this realm to not fit and go past her actual fate in the living realm... We could create uh... whatchamacallit? Paradox? And break out!" She mentioned her plan to everyone, and she then turns her glance to Tsubaki. "Um... Tsubaki? You do read up on history... no? Mind filling us in on her actual death? I only know she died somewhere before the supposed Pilgrimage anyway..." She posed a question to her servant, though shortly she could be seen shivering and clacking her teeth. "So cold..."

@Miya
@RedArmyShogun
@Karyra
@_Dancerisfreezingneedclothesfast
[/fieldbox]

[ Month of Chill, Haschou Village / Haschou Streets ]

"Really...? Well, thank you."

Cold.
That was actually a pretty cold response. Colder than the weather outside. It was obvious that Kiri was trying to cheer Cirika up. But, just saying it that way seemed a little uncouth, actually.
Yes... that wasn't really the way to respond to someone who you were supposed have known for so long. Cirika caught herself in this.

"...Sorry. Kiri."
"...all I've been doing is apologizing. Yesterday it was Father, then the travelers... and even to you now."
"I've just been talking to people about matters about the Berserk Fang infestation and managing the village. I guess I'm just defaulting to sounding formal."

Right. It sure did feel like it had been a long time since the two had talked to each other. Even living in a small village like this, there was much the Daimyou had to do. When Cirika was younger, though, she'd oft sneak out of the castle to play with the other kids in town - even though she wasn't really allowed to. But, she was good at sneaking. She was so good that they had to hire Arara to keep an eye on her.

But, then the little brother was born. CIrika got older enough to start handling responsibilities... and the incident that occurred outside of the city walls.

The reminiscence was wholly abridged, but that was essentially what Cirika's life could be summed up to until now. The girl here now was an echo of the girl who would sneak out of the castle every day to play. Something had been lost along the way to adulthood.

"That's a really neat trick to be able to handle your Earth Force with such precision. I've been training mine up a bit too. I just... probably need some powdered snow..."

Cirika looked around. Seeming to eye out parts of the street where the snow was still undisturbed. This took the two of them off to the side. A barrel that had light snow that had fallen on top of it this morning. Cirika daintily poked the white powder.

"Perfect."

Cirika held her hand up palm up. Kiri could feel small dafts of a gentle breeze. Wind Force.

"Look, Kiri."

Lowering her hand, whatever force conjured was set onto the barrel. A small vortex danced amongst the snow, whirling the small flecklings of snow up into the air, but only enough to have it drop back on top of the barrel. Cirika kep the little tornado going on as she looked to Kiri.

"See? I've been practicing enough to control the wind like this. It's not all too impressive, but with a Dai-Katana I can make one that can send a whole person flying into the air."

The vortex then dissipated.
With the winds no longer controlled, the air simply blew outward. Clearing the snow of the top of the barrel.

"...Cool, right?"

Cirika asked.
Her face was still utterly expressionless.

It had been a real long time since they had talked to each other so this was super awkward.
But, it felt like Cirika was trying hard in her own way too. In a really, awkward and hard to read way.

@Luma
[/fieldbox]

"You folk sure don't look like from these parts. Nor do you seem to be all that well dressed for the occasion either."

The freezing group outside the signboard were approached be a man with white hair. Unlike them, however, he was well packed in clothing for such cold temperatures.

"Well, don't panic. Since it's the middle of the day the cold's bearable. But, I'd find shelter before nightfall comes. Sure wouldn't want to have a finger or limb freeze off. Still... I can't help but notice that you've been looking at that signboard there. You wouldn't happen to be looking for a job, would ya? My posting is right up there if you want to talk about it..."

The group was literally broke and freezing outside.
There wasn't much of an option at this stage. Even in the memory world, money and work was needed to just survive.

"...Well I'm a little hesitant to send you out there considering the way you're dressed, but given the circumstances you've just described to me... well, what the hell."

"One of the town's nobles owns a farmstead outside of town. The place is currently become a bit of a holding ground for those big wolves... the Berserk Fangs as they're called. We have stocks of grain that have been left behind. That stuff is important to holding the town through to winter, but none of the farmhands want to go near the place knowing that the Fangs are prowling the premises. We want someone to thrash those wolves hard enough that they won't think about coming near for a time - long enough for us to get those grains into town."

"So then, what's in it for you? Not much you can buy with money here. During this time of year currency is pretty much grain rations for the most part. So, considering the situation, we'll give you a place to stay, and some food rations to get you by... for a time at least. I'll go ahead and sweeten the deal a bit too - bring me back the pelts of those beasts and I can fashion some good gear to keep you from freezing at least."

"You'll need that gear too. Keep on clearing those beasts out of the other farmsteads and bringin me pelts and we'll be able to hold you all over for the duration of Frost. I'm the smith for the guard you see, and my wife happens to cook for the guard as well. We need those pelts and rations to keep those scarecrows functioning through winter."

It sounded like the Berserk Fang Problem had affected more or less all aspects of this town.

The old man's setup was simple. They'd work to clear out the Berserk Fangs from the farmsteads and they'd get food and shelter. They'd also get gear fashioned for them to keep warm and would be able to be fed and sheltered through the season of frost by continuing to help clear those berserk fangs.

It was generally the exact same thing that Cirika had been asking them before but they had to keep working or forfeit eating normal food and sleeping inside of a building. Well, at least they had a choice of when they wanted to stop working and freeze to death.

"I'm going to go ahead an call crafting the gear and giving it to ya all 'Hazard Pay' so no gripes over the inherit danger. Course, I'll still need those pelts to actually make it at all, so... whaddaya say, outsiders?"

@_Everyone
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox= Tsubaki Hanejima, lightgreen, solid]
Tsubaki_Ico.jpg

Before Tsubaki knew it, everything that she did went out from the windows. She has no interest in listening why Kei rejected the offer. But for the Kousen Priestess however, the noble wanted to hear her reason. Before she could speak, Runara started talking to them as the others check the job board nearby, mentioning on how to escape the realm. Her employer basically echoed Tsubaki's sentiment.

Just about when she wanted to answer Runara's question on how Cirika died, an old man approached the group, mentioning about the job on taking the Berserk Fangs plaguing one of the farmsteads. Judging on how the man explained, the Berserk Fang issue certainly felt more serious than what Cirika had explained before. The smith proceeded to lay his offers to the group.

A job with a generous offer of hot food, shelter and winter gear.

The noble exhaled, vapors coming out from her mouth. Her eyes moved between Runara and the others, before turning back to the old man. She crossed her arms tightly, trying to endure the cold. Since she was born in the Fujian Plains, Tsubaki was not accustomed to cold climates.

"... I'm taking the job offer." She replied. Then she turned at Runara. "I'll answer your question later on..."

@Ehb
@LowDefinition

[/fieldbox]

Kei_Ico.jpg

With the appearance of yet another noble, Kei rolled his eyes and was already halfway out the door when the lord decided that his 'generosity' had reached it's limit. He was lucky enough that he didn't stab that girl. She was just as bad as the rest of them. All nobles were ignorant of how people truly were treated while in their care. They played you like puppets to their whims and when they outlived their usefulness, the stings were cut.

He ought to have killed her. That'd be enough of a paradox, right?

No... it was too messy, he justified to himself. Besides, it would upset the others.

The glare he received from the Lord was not unfamiliar. It was not the first time he recieved such a glare. It would not be the last either, if his track record in this town was to be believed. Kei pointedly yawned at such a glare, hopefully rubbing some more salt into the wounded pride of this... jerk.

"At least I'm honest." Kei said, unconsciously rubbing his wrists. "More than I can say about a Spymaster of your... caliber. Can't even see a Pirate King on your horizion. I'd ask a blind man to go look for that guy. Would certainly see more than you."

By the time it was Saburo's turn to be chastised, Kei was already out the door looking at the board. He missed Cirika's apology. It would have fallen on deaf ears anyways. Lots of killing those Beserk Fangs on the board. Hmm, seemed like people really needed that Alpha killed. Farmers seemed closer to the problem, so they were probably desperate to have the problem solved. If they could secure shelter, food, and warmer clothing then they could almost certainly destroy the pack and be closer to leaving.

"Mmm. Didn't save you. Others made the decision for me. Don't assign credit to those it isn't due."

Reminded him that Rumiko wanted to talk later. Yuan was off where ever Yuan wants to be and it seemed all that much more agreeable to talk in private.

"Killing wolves is a good start. If we end up bagging this Alpha, we win some reputation with the city. The nobles can be nobles, but farmers gossip. Might be useful later."
Kei offhandedly noticed Saburo's comment about cannibalism. "Oh, but I thought there was a story about you hunting down cannibals. Soemthing about finding an island where they ate the shipwrecked survivors?" He said it as thought a secondhand thought. His mind was preoccupied with looking through the job board, memorizing details for later. He wasn't looking too hard at Saburo.

"We won't manage a paradox if we freeze to death, Rumiko. Magic up some fire for yourself and stay warm. You're the least adapted to cold."

He turned as the farmer explained the jobs and one that could be potentially highly beneficial. Tsubaki took is the second the farmer finished explaining.

"...I have no complaints. I say we take the job. The sooner we get started on the job the sooner we all are prepared to take on more jobs. Eventually, I want to kill the Alpha. These wolves are dangerous. Too dangerous to leave around. For everyone's sake."

@RedArmyShogun @Rithas @Ehb @KeiLovesThemPirateStoriesSHHH
[/fieldbox]

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Luma
Kiri_KNMIco.jpg

"Mhm. Formalities are so troublesome..."

Anyone listening to these two girls go back and forth would find it difficult not to nod off. At least one of them appeared unwilling to put any energy into it, and the sound of their conversation was packed with all the excitement of a paint-watching competition.

The sleepyhead and the stone-faced Daimyo heir - the ultimate, static duo.

As the winds kicked up, Kiri's coat blew to the side just enough to reveal the fancy-looking letter hanging out of one of the inner pockets. It was just a brief moment before she adjusted the coat back to its proper position.

"Oh woooow," Kiri hummed in a long, drawn out tone that might've sounded sarcastic coming from anyone else. She knelt down to get a closer look at the little tornado. "You have improved. You never were the best at control."

Kiri stared up at Cirika expectantly, sending her a slight smile. Maybe it was a joke? Either way, it clearly wasn't funny enough for Kiri to laugh at it herself.

So awkward...

She stood up again.

"I guess that would work if you were trying to kill someone," Kiri admitted with a clear lack of interest, "but is it fun? What if... hm... you had a really long cloak... and you used your little tornado to make it blow around? That's fun," Kiri stated like she was defining fun as she watched it from miles away.

"I sometimes wish you were never an Ikkikari," Kiri thought aloud in a hushed tone. It was an oddly somber statement for her, and a dangerous one to speak in the middle of town. Thankfully, the frost had confined most of the village to their houses, so she felt free to speak her mind.

"You had far more time for fun before you realized who you were..."

Letting the thought hang in the air for a moment, once it had passed, Kiri was back to being (relatively) cheerful.

"Sorry. I'm supposed to be cheering you up! Um... what about those strange travelers? They'll be staying around here for a while, yes? Don't you just want to take the Doven and make a pillow out of her~?"

@Ehb[/fieldbox]

"Well of course I played around more often back then. I was a kid too... but people grow up and have responsibilities they're obliged to, so..."

Cirika kept silent after Kiri tried to return the topic to the travelers. 'Wish I wasn't and ikkikari?' What exactly did she mean by that? The words... immediately felt like something Cirika was supposed be upset about hearing. And it would've been if she'd heard it from any of the other elders, as it implied she wasn't up to task for her duties.

It wasn't something that Kiri wanted her to fixate herself on... probably. But-

"....Do you really mean that, Kiri? About not being an Ikkikari. That is."
"Is that why we're not friends anymore?"

Cirika's question sounded a bit like a plea too. Like she'd been a little hurt by it.

They were once friends. They really were before. But it was... really painfully apparent that that friendship existed between two kids, and one of them had grown up aware of their latent responsibilities. But... she was so different now. She'd changed so much and it was like Kiri wasn't talking to the same person anymore.

And Cirika taking such a keen interest in those people seemed like a call for help somehow. Almost a deliberate act of trying to hurt herself, and it didn't make any sense. Why would she do something so reckless, offering outsiders such a privilege? That was something that would be frowned upon by everyone. In yet she still gave that offer.

It sounded a whole lot like a cry for help. If nothing else.

@Luma
[/fieldbox]

"I see you are all in agreement. Very well then. The Obito Farmstead is straight out the gates, and the first left down the main road. It's comparatively a short trek outside the city walls... compared to the other farmsteads, but I'd say there's a good chance you can get over there, clear the hounds out, and back easily."

"I'll go ahead and come along behind with my Songbird to Confirm things are done. Once the beasts are dealt with I'll also need help hauling those pelts back to make you something to not freeze in. So then, in the interest of time, let's be off."

[ Month of Chill, Haschou Farmlands, Obito Farmstead ]

It was about an hour walk to get to the farmstead. It was brutal on the party's feet. If anything, they should've already been freezing to death just by trogging through snow covered ground, with how cold it was. Their only saving grace was the fact that the accompanying armorer had control over Fire Force. He had good control over it to. He served as a source of heat and eased the snow ahead of their path. without flaring up flames.

Sapiens who were very skilled in their Force Attribute could apply it to regular things in a nondescrept manner. It was a show of their proficiency.

"Here it is. Lord Obito's Farmstead. Just a couple of weeks ago this farm was abuzz with activity with the farmhands stocking up grains for the winter. Sadly, winter's come and that grain is still sitting in the warehouses and being beset by vermin. All thanks to those... wolves they've given that scary name to."

Cresting a small hill, they saw the small farmstead, blanketed in snow. It looked completely harmless... but also, very empty. There was no smoke coming out of the chimney, or any pack animals of the sort standing out in the cold. For a farm it was eerily quiet. Like the man had said, all inhabitants had fled in wake of the Berserk Fangs.

The only inhabitants were the wolves.
A howl coming from the farm signaled that their foes were aware of their presence.

Stepping ahead of the group, they realized that the man was holding something peculiar. It was... a chicken? A chicken that was... almost ready to go into the hotpot it looked like.

"Seeing a group of people like this, those Berserk Fangs might not be privvy to the idea of attacking us. So... well. Hope you folks are a bit stronger than you look."

Holding the chicken ahead, it suddenly burst into flames.... no. Flames danced around it. Effectively cooking it.
Though the man was holding it barhanded, the flames that were cooking the bird did not seem to hurt him. After a little while, the bird started to smell kind of good, actually.

The group saw small specks coming out from the farm. They rapidly approached the travelers.

The roasted chicken plopped onto the ground, and the man ran on through the group and took refuge from behind.

"I've done my part!"
"The chicken'll make them go crazy so slaughter em' all in one go!"

The party is beset by wolves! At the head of the pack was a tough looking one. A scar across one of it's eyes indicated it'd seen battle before!

This job should be easy...! They just had to take out a few... several.... about ten wolves they finally counted coming racing right towards them.

They charged... Taking the initiative, and the first strikes!

"..Oh come on I just wanted to go to the store.."

"Another step closer to my goal."

Battle!

Information: Defeat the Pack of Berserk Fangs!

Initial Battle Lens:

Berserk Fang Whelp (Mob) x 9
One Eye (Tough) x1

--------------------------

One Eye (Tough)

6/6 EP
Techs:
Chomp (Base - Force) - LV 2
Gnash (Arkane - Force) - LV 1

Berserk Fang Whelp (Mob)

Techs:
Chomp (Force) - LV 2

@_Everyone - I will try to attack this time for realzies.
[/fieldbox]

Rumiko_Ico.jpg

As the rest gathered around, she found it strange they were all being thrown out and the fact many of the villagers could be interacted with now, while she and more so Kei would have been cast out, why the rest? Either way this quest was a golden opportunity.. With her history as a monster slayer, the Miko seemed eager to get on with the quest, though the glint in her eye and comfortable nature of her body in the snow seemed to hint at a reasoning far beyond basic protection from exposure.

Smiling a bit at Kei's response did distract her however. "Oh this? hahaha, oh it is cold, but I come from up in the Mountains and the temples..there was rarely enough clothing to go around on days like this..many people died..While I would like a coat, this isn't enough to kill me, least not yet..though thank you, but ahhaha..My element is actually Earth." Rubbing the back of her head with a friendly grin, she continues as the others seem to decide on the job she noticed at the start.[/Fieldbox]

"The flames are from spiritual energy, ah..we can talk more about this later." Turning her attention to Runara most of what the girl said had merit minus a few points.

"Kei threatened to kill them all, and in spite of that fool of a spymaster who didn't know what a Shrine Maiden was, I cannot serve others over the greater good of my sect. Even had we went along with it, would they have trusted him? Either way not all is correct with that lord.. And neither with this village.. I cannot guarantee how much time has passed now, nor the results of these foul magics.."

Shrugging with a heavy sigh Rumiko continues;
"For all I know we may have made a time paradox that will shape our own world, or we are drowned corpses. We should also take more care in how we react to those here and search for odd glyphs or magic.. Killing the Alpha and setting her pilgrimage may indeed break the seal, it's what we should aim for, and to expect other things to try and stop us.

Other than that there is one..other option I'm looking into right now.. But that is one I'll only mention or attempt once I can confirm it..which is why once we are done, I may have most of you in this talk..afterall you won't be reporting back to them.. We need more information..

As to the wolves, I would like to salvage a few things from the bodies to aid in drawing out the Alpha when the time comes."

Soon the farmer would arrive, giving out details and what they were offering, it was a reasonable trade, though one that was too good to be true.. What else was he after?

[ Month of Chill, Haschou Farmlands, Obito Farmstead ]

Walking along with the group, the farmer brings a chicken along, treating it much like a pet as he rambled on about various things which were of no interest to the Miko who would stop time to time to dig up root vegetables that were partly uncovered from the snow, carrying them in her arms, the burly and scared woman hums a pleasant tune that..oddly sounded a lot like a marching song about soldiers who died in the snow..

Reaching the farm the "too good" part of the deal soon became apperant as he sat the chicken on fire.
"THAT'S WASTING FOOD! Pick that up when we are done!"

Slightly irritated at the farmer and the fact there were..a lot of wolves, the Miko takes off to lead a charge. "I'll try and keep them distracted, two of you kill the one eye, the rest on the small ones! Too many to leave them be!" She shouts, though unsure if anyone would actually carry our the order, simply put, while the bigger one eyed one seemed dangerous and likely was, the smaller ones had an overwhelming advantage in numbers, it was a potential single attack versus seven or eight, which would be fatal to most of them.

[Rumiko used Basic Tech - EARTH STOMP - lvl 1 on random wolf mob.]

[Roll Failed!]

Making a wall of earth from her foot stomping down upon the ground, it had missed causing damage but would shake the ground, perhaps buying the attention of some of the beasts in the area, as the snow fluffs covered them briefly, making a tch sound, she would have to try seriously hitting the rest of them from this point on likely.

[/Fieldbox]

Last edited: