A Twist of Fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mallin watched quietly as Cryon got himself comfortable and finally settled in, and shifted over to sit next to the man when he was ready, legs pulled up beside him on the bed. "Sitting too long will do that to you." He said softly, not wanting to disturb the quiet of the room but with a little smile nonetheless. "You must learn to sit less tensely. Think of sunshine and rainbows."

The Mage took a moment to let Cryon see the way his hands turned a bit orange when he tapped into his magic, warming his skin so that they would feel too hot to be natural but wouldn't burn, just enough to help soothe sore muscles. "Relax your shoulders as best you can. This might feel strange at first."

He ran his hands gently over Cryon's shoulders first, letting the heat sink gradually in before moving a bit further down his spine. When the warmth had spread enough down the man's spine he added in actual healing magic, let it sink down into the muscle and bone and soothe all the hurts and aches. "With luck, each day will be so easy, and so peacefully ended." He didn't want to think of any time where there would be too much turmoil to spend time together at the day's end. ". . . Does that feel all right?"

Cryon couldn't help the sigh that punched from his lips when the heat spread across his skin, letting the side of his face rest on the pillow and allowing him to watch Mallin. His body grew looser, and the aches and tenseness that came from long periods of work was beginning to release to Mallin's magic, and he let a smile split his lips, staring at the mage with soft eyes.

"I couldn't imagine a better time than spending the day with you," Cryon commented, letting his eyes shut for a minute and relishing in the feeling. He couldn't ever remember feeling better than he did now. He felt flexible and lithe, much like he was in his childhood, and it only added to the amazement of what Mallin could actually do beyond his water tricks when they had been younger.

"It feels amazing, Mallin. You are an angel from heaven," Cryon said, letting out a yawn before looking back over at Mallin, the ghost of a smile still present on his face as he felt his mind begin to cloud with the tiredness that washed over him.

(Sorry for not responding for a while. I had to go to a family reunion two states over and we had no wi-fi at all >.<)

It was, oddly enough, both nerve wracking and comforting to have Cryon watching him so closely. It made him feel like a nervous child again, trying to perform or complete some sort of test but shying away from any eyes on him. Over the years, as he'd grown in Arcturus, he'd gotten used to it enough that it didn't bother him anymore, but here it was more personal. And yet, because of that, he felt a bit of pride along with the nerves. Cryon had always liked his tricks, and getting to show off more of them for the man's benefit - Mallin would've been lying if he said it didn't lift his ego a bit.

"An angel?" The Mage repeated, softly but incredulously, with a faint and self depreciating laugh in his voice. "I know that my hair catches the light at times, but I most definitely do not have a halo." He was no angel. He was so far from that it was a ridiculous turn of phrase, but Cryon had always been fond of grand, inaccurate statements.

"Go to sleep." Mallin urged softly, running his hand through the man's hair to press soothing warmth into his scalp even as he scraped his fingers gently over it. "You deserve your rest." There would be more busy days ahead of them, and he'd promised to stay until Cryon fell asleep. If he could just put the man to sleep like this every night, he would be happy. It was enough just being near his dearest one, and knowing that somehow he could help with all the things he'd missed while he was gone.

((Oo, that sounds fun but horrible haha))

"What? You don't believe me?" Cryon replied, a smile on his face as he pushed up just the smallest bit, reaching out and letting his hand touch one of Mallin's, letting his fingers link with them as his lips ghosted over the glowing warmth, "I was always told that only angels had the power of healing. Is that not what you are doing right now?" His voice was almost teasing, but there was a firmness there that made sure that he was telling the mage exactly what he felt. Mallin was a blessing to his life, especially now, and he wanted to make sure that the mage would always know that.

At the mention to sleep, Cryon let out a soft yawn, not realizing how tired he actually was as he let himself lay back down, the feeling of Mallin's hands through his hair easing him into a perfect state of contentment and relaxation. Oh, how he wished this would never end, and if this is what he had to look forwards to each and every day, well, he couldn't imagine anything better.

"Why don't you stay with me?" Cryon mumbled once his eyes had fully closed, focusing on Mallin's presence next to him. It just seemed without him, the room would feel too big, too empty. This was really too much room for just one person. "I am quite warm to cuddle with," He tempted teasingly, his tiredness releasing the hold that his mind usually had on his mouth. He didn't care though, smiling at the thought.

(Well, my aunt got drunk and started interrogating my grandfather's new girlfriend and my cousin was excited to be there because our other cousin was bringing him a root beer. You should have seen it, his eyes lit up like you just gave him a million bucks when he got that root beer XD So yeah, family reunions are always a crazy time)

((All that over root beer lol sorry for the delay. I've only been making replies from my phone for a while so I totally forgot to get something bigger and do this one, as the muse was a little laggy. Did you want to skip to the wedding?))

Mallin watched, almost startled, as Cryon took his hand and pressed a kiss to his fingers, a brief thought passing through his mind of how warm his skin must feel against the man's lips. The mage looked away when praised, shyly and with something like guilt stirring in his stomach because he knew just how far his own mind and body were from perfect. He was not so much a creature of light as others seemed to see him at times. His hands were not clean of foul deeds - borne of necessity, but there was no excuse.

"Old legends," Mallin murmured softly, "wishful thinking before we learned how to do it ourselves. . ." He kept running his fingers through Cryon's hair, firm but careful, doing his best to ease his love into sleep that would help him recover. "Won't people talk?" He asked quietly even as he laid himself down next to the man, settling in with little intention of leaving. If Cryon changed his mind Mallin would go easily, with no hard feelings, but the invitation was there now and he didn't want to go. It felt like old times here, laying next to Cryon as he had done as a child.

He stopped petting the man eventually, letting his hand slide down to the middle of Cryon's back to simply lay there, warm and comforting, easing him towards sleep. It felt right, being here. It felt like home.

{Sorry for not replying! I've just been really stressed with my sister moving back in and her kids being really rowdy and downright devils and then I have college that I'm trying to prepare for. I apologise for not being able to reply as this is the first day I've actually been able to sit down at my computer for the last two weeks ^^')

((And yeah, we can go ahead and skip))

Cryon let his eyes begin to close sleepily as Mallin settled in beside him, a small smile that twitched the corner of his lips as he watched him with half-lidded eyes. It was comforting when the mage was by him, and it was like a wash of contentment that came over him when he made clear that he would stay, even if Cryon had suggested it first himself. Still, that warm on his back was pleasing on his spine, and he shifted subconsciously closer to its source, moving his arms under his pillow and pulling it closer to himself.

"Let them talk. We agreed on it already," Cryon answered with a yawn before letting his eyes close all the way. He was happy like this, and even now, he couldn't imagine what would be like living without Mallin with him, even though it hadn't been that long ago when he had.

((Yeesh O.O that doesn't sound fun. Hope things work out better for you.
I'd've responded sooner but the muse is slow when there's large gaps between posts, but here we are. Off to the wedding!))

Time passed in a slow blur. Mallin was happy when he got to meet the children he would be teaching, though he only spent an hour or so per day with them. For now he just wanted to get to know them, and gave only subtle little instructions here and there when things got out of control. The rest of his time was spent with Cryon, doing all he could to help the man, and had gotten into the habit of sleeping next to his love each night, no matter who saw him leaving the king's room come morning. As the wedding drew nearer and nearer the Mage spent more and more time helping prepare all of the decorations. If he wanted Nima's wife-to-be to like him, he thought that making her wedding look beautiful would help.

The decorations were wonderful, bright decorations everywhere, and candles in colorful jars in places no one else could reach, waiting for Mallin to light them before the ceremony. The ice sculpture was something he had practiced time and time again to be sure it was right and on the day of the wedding he advised none to touch it as he'd made it as cold as he possibly could while still keeping a smooth finish on it and would simply return every once in a while to make sure it wouldnt melt for as long as possible.

When it came time for people to begin arriving, the Mage was indescribably nervous.

"Have I done it right?" He asked Cryon, standing in the man's room that may as well have been his for how much time he spent in it. He was dressed in the clothes that had been tailored for him days ago, and kept checking everything to make sure he was all right since he hadn't dressed this way in probably a decade. He needed Cryon to check his tie before they went down to greet everyone or he was going to worry over it all night. Heavens knew he had plenty of other things to worry about.

(I'm sorry >.< It should be better now that we've got the hardest part of the renovations done)

Cryon fell back into his kingly duties over the next few days, and although he hated being apart from Mallin more than he would have liked, it was something that had to be done. The council was being rather unbearable most of the time, mainly the newer members, and he knew it was because they were still sore about Mallin stepping in. Still, they were at least more hesitant and suggestive rather than bossy, and that was something he was glad that had come from it.

With the wedding coming up, he grew a bit more tense as the work that revolved around it grew more hectic to finish before the big day. He was having fun though, breaking into grins and laughing when he was around Nima or Mallin as they worked to complete the task at hand. Soon, he would have to worry about the threatening kingdoms reply that would surely be coming soon, but that was put into the back of his mind, especially when the door to his bedroom closed, and he could just spend time with Mallin.

Cryon was fixing the last article of clothing into place when Mallin spoke, straightening out the silken clothes before he looked over at Mallin, smiling at him as he moved over. He circled him, making sure everything was in place before stopping in front of him, taking the tie gently in his hands and tightening just a bit more, although it was folded just fine.

"You look amazing, Mal," Cryon said softly, a gentle smile on his face as he looked at the man flattening his tie onto his shirt before letting his hands just rest there for a moment.

((No, no, it's fine, I'm just letting you know I haven't been ignoring you for days, I just needed some time to get back into the swing of things :) skipping to a new event helps))

Mallin held still as Cryon walked around him, inexplicably nervous, and only let out the breath he'd been holding when the man smiled at him again. He rested a hand over Cryon's where it came to rest on his chest, taking comfort in his king's closeness, in his warm presence nearby. He would never have been able to come home without this man, and would never have been able to readjust to this life without him either.

"It's . . . strange," he said quietly, "being in finery like this again. . . I suppose I should get used to it." And the expenses it incurred, he added mentally, but it would be all right. Cryon would help him until he was truly earning his own wages and wouldn't be such a mooch, and when he had money to his name again and he was mostly done settling into life in this place, maybe then he would go and find his mother. He had checked on her, once, without ever being seen, and had subsequently spent the rest of the day curled up in a chair in Cryon's office, silent and just listening as the man worked. It hadn't been a good day, and he knew he needed to make amends soon.

Sighing softly, Mallin shifted forward to press a little kiss to Cryon's cheek and pull away. "I should go. I have to get the candles lit before all the guests arrive." They would only last so long, so he knew he'd have to wait until the last second. It would only rumple him a little, so he would just have Cryon fix him back up afterwards. "I'll meet you in the courtyard near the sculpture after?"

Cryon's fingers splayed out over Mallin's chest above his heart as the mage's hand joined his, his own heart fluttering gently against his rib cage as he listened to the precious man speak. He used his free hand to fix a lock of hair that had fallen into an awkward position, letting his fingers brush over the man's cheek gently before he let out a sigh, glancing towards the door with a little form of regret. He could stay like this with the mage forever, but they both had their duties.

"Clothing is a minor thing," Cryon answered, turning his attention back to the mage and looking at the clothes he wore once more. They looked very nice on him, and it made Cryon's heart beat just a little faster than before, "Plus, I could always help you get dressed and undressed," He added after a moment, his soft smile turning into that shit-eating grin he always had when he made a bad joke like that. Still, he hoped it would ease Mallin's nerves, or embarrass him. Either one would work for him.

It made Cryon blushed when he got kissed on the cheek though, the feeling on Mallin's lips against his skin shocking him for just a moment before his mind caught up with the rest of him. "Yeah, I'll meet you there," He answered, finally moving his hand away and turning towards the door, "We better get going before we end up late though. Wouldn't that be a sight to see?"

Mallin snorted a little laugh when Cryon was ridiculous, shaking his head at the man though it broke some of the tension in his chest. "Incorrigible." He murmured fondly, and gave Cryon a light lift beneath his chin to remind him to keep his head up, to not bemoan their being apart. "We mustn't be late."

The Mage hurried off before Cryon, making his way out to the courtyards where the sun shone brightly down on the happy proceedings. The candles only took a little acrobatics to light, a few higher than normal jumps there, a twist into an odd spot here. They were pretty little glows to look at now, and when a couple of hours passed and the sun went down a bit they would create nice colors along each surface they sat on and any walls nearby, and light a bit of the dance floor alongside the larger torches that would be lit when it was dark.

When everything was done, Mallin avoided some of the people starting to enter until he could see Cryon first, straightening his clothes on his own and looking to the king for approval. "Is my hair all right?" He asked with a little smile, a white lock askew here and there. "You do like to make me look presentable, after all." And now began the hard part. As he stayed by Cryon's side, he would be forced to greet all of the guests as a side effect, and he hoped none of them frowned on the wedding for his presence.

As Mallin left, Cryon hurried off to the kitchen to make sure the reception food was being well prepared, and when he found that all was well, he moved on to the next room, the ballroom, to make sure the floors were well cleaned and shined with a lustrous brilliance. After the wedding, the reception would be held here with plenty of room to dance and enjoy in festivities instead of the smaller size of the area that housed the actual wedding.

He was surprised when he found everything in order, moving back to the wedding area and speaking to the priest for several minutes about the actual ceremony before he looked around, a smile on his face when he saw how nice everything looked, the amount of detail put into the decoration, and he couldn't help but feel a sense of pride when he saw the soft glow of the candles hanging above where non-magic people could reach.

When Mallin approached the statue where he waited, he straightened up, letting out a light chuckle at his mussed hair and gently rubbed the hair back into place, tugging thoughtfully on his collar as it peeked a little higher before deeming him perfect, if not the most beautiful person in the entire room, "You look amazing," Cryon said, the warmth in his voice prominent as he allowed this last moment of contentment with Mallin before they had to go back to the crowd and face the people for the wedding. He knew that the mage was nervous about being around so many people, but he trusted that everything would work out fine.

Mallin gave Cryon a soft, content sort of smile when the man fixed his hair, but it would probably be his last relaxed expression for the night. He stayed by Cryon's side when the man greeted guests, and later trailed around after the king when there was more mobile mingling to be done. There were only short breaks, each person wanting to speak to the king and being awarded the privilege. The Mage was an afterthought, an occasional question here and there which he answered kindly but shortly, with polite and not quite happy smiles. He wanted to meet people and he wanted to fit into this place, but he knew in his heart just how many people were probably condemning him in their heads.

With only a few breaks to fix the statue and be sure it wasn't melting, quiet and subtle little bits of magic no one would see, Mallin finally was able to sit down as the ceremony begun to get organized and everyone was drawn to make way for the wedding party. The ceremony itself was very nice, full of flowers and kind words, and little traditions Mallin hadn't seen in a long, long time. He was happy for Nima, and glad that the man seemed as in love with his new wife as anyone could be. As nervous as he was, he was a bit regretful he hardly got to talk to them at all. They were the center of attention, after all.

The problems came after the ceremony was over and everyone had been ushered to the ball room. Mallin, as long as it had been since he'd danced in any formal setting and not simply some candlelit night with the children and families in Arcturus, he didn't want to chance anything. Cryon was sure to get asked to dance anyway, the Mage thought, and so he hovered near a table they'd claimed and didn't cause trouble by accidentally stepping on toes or missing steps he hardly remembered at all. That was when she approached him. He didn't know her, had hardly seen her the whole time and couldn't recall her name, but an older woman approached him with drink in hand, and just as he turned his attention politely to greet her, she threw it in his face.

"How dare you step foot in this place."

It was a red wine, one that burned his skin a bit and soaked into the lighter colors of his clothes and hair, and he was left feeling startled and disappointed but not truly surprised. He'd known it would happen sooner or later, hadn't he? At the very least she had broadcasted the motion enough that he'd managed to close his eyes in time. Mallin had spent a long time with next to no one to support him, and so didn't cast around for help as much as he might have as a child, even though he knew that somewhere Cryon would probably look for him. Carefully, quietly, he wiped the burning liquid back away from his eye until he could open them again, and looked to the woman still standing furiously nearby.

"Forgive me." He said softly, with the slightest of bows, knowing that fighting back would only condemn him to all of the prying eyes he knew were nearby. "I apologize if I've ruined your evening. I'd only wished to celebrate a friend's happy union." When he lifted his head to see her again he gave only a faint smile, as if nothing were wrong, as if he didn't feel like there were rocks in his stomach. "If you'll excuse me, I should change before I've ruined the flooring as well." He would just go and hide out for a while, and do his best to remove the wine without hurting the fabric. Perhaps he would simply hide himself in one of the empty balconies if he couldn't. He had nothing else to wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cryon felt his back crawl with the discomfort that he had grown so used to as people greeted him, and sometimes Mallin, as they waited for the wedding to begin. He hated the small talk, the way that they seemed so formally stiff compared to what he was used to when he was with his friends. Even the council members, who had grown a bit more informal over time, walked like there was a board strapped to their body, keeping them straight up as they gave him a soft nod before continuing on their way with the mingling. It made the King's stomach crawl, and he couldn't help but wonder if that was what Mallin had felt when he was around them.

The wedding was beautiful, however, and he couldn't help but smile when he saw the happiness in Nima's and his soon-to-be wife's face as they stood before the priest, the ceremony being read in a powerful, deep drawl of the man's voice. It wasn't as short as the peasant weddings that he had snuck into when he had been a younger child, but he loved it all the same. It was a happy occasion, and happiness is all that Cryon craved to hold onto anymore, especially when the stress of the kingdom began to weigh him down. Still, he was jovial as the wedding ended and the reception began, everyone being moved to the ballroom.

He did his best to remain close for Mallin's sake. He knew that not everyone would be so accepting of his appearance here, and he took it upon himself as a friend and a lover to keep him out of hatred's way, and that was what he had managed to do until he was called by a noble woman to dance. He couldn't refuse, mainly out of obligation to his duty, and he hoped that Mallin knew that he was sorry as he glanced back, looking at the white-haired man with a bit of worry.

The dance floor participants seem to just part for them as they moved to a clear spot in the crowd with enough room for maneuvering, and he obediently placed his hand on her shoulder and one on her waist, trying his best to not wrinkle his nose when he felt the softness of her skin compared to the strong warmth that Mallin always seemed to radiate. Instead, he simply focused on the jewels that adorned her hair as they spun in an easy waltz, feeling all too happy when the dance ended and he made his way back to the table where he had left Mallin.

Except the man was not there. Cryon's brow furrowed in concern as he looked around, confusion littering his gaze. It wasn't as if Mallin could blend into the crowd so easily. Where could he have gone? He turned to the couple of the closest table, walking over and keeping his words polite despite his worry.

"Have you seen Mallin?" He asked softly, and the couple exchanged glances before sheepish looks appeared on their faces, and the woman finally decided to speak.

"An older lady threw wine in his face, so he left," She mumbled, and Cryon froze, at first, in shock, until his blood began to boil as it slowly sank in. Anger must have been prominent on his features by the fear in the couple's eyes as he turned, stalking away from them in a hurried stride. First, he would find Mallin and make sure he was alright, then, he would hunt down that woman and make sure she recieved punishment for what she did.

The halls were desolate as Mallin made his way back towards the living areas of the castle and away from the dull commotion of the reception. Attention was focused on the ceremony and the party afterwards, with little staff needed elsewhere except to stay on guard as always and attend to some cleaning her or there. Left so empty and quiet as it was, Mallin gathered some water in his hands and just started to wash up his face and hands a bit as he went, not wanting to disturb anyone by using his magic in their presence but wanting to be sure his eyes, at least, were safe.

It was once his face was clean and he was halfway to his bedroom when he saw the first glimpse around a corner and curiously followed a dark shape off his usual path. It showed a little more the next time, dread growing in his chest as he walked a little quicker, caught a better glimpse around the next corner. Long hair, a dark cloak over a dark red dress, long fingernails trailing around a corner as she went. He was running by the time he saw her disappear out the main entry doors, and his focus had narrowed so far through the fear constricting his throat that he couldn't spare any attention for those he might have passed in his haste. If his suspicion's were right the staff's could wait, and if he was wrong then he could just claim to have been upset.

He lost sight of her as he got out the doors and hurried for the gates, looking left and right and skidding to a stop halfway between the castle and its walls when he didn't see her again. His thoughts went to the two children he was supposed to teach, how young he'd been when he'd first heard her voice in his head like so many dark whispers, how he'd dreaded the day he would hear it again. He couldn't let her find them, couldn't let them hear that deathly whisper in their heads like he had so long ago.

How you've grown, my little puppet. . .

When he felt her touch like ice against the back of his neck, he realized he couldn't move.

((Will add obvious destruction in the next post for Cryon to follow, this one was just getting long lol))

Cryon started searching by looking in the closest places, like the garden and the kitchen. Although he assumed that Mallin would have gone to his room, he wanted to be sure, just in case he wasn't there. It didn't take long to note that the white-haired mage, especially when a staff member mentioned that he saw the man making his way down the hall. The King set out after that, speed walking towards the bedrooms.

He had no idea what to say to Mallin, or even how the man would have reacted to being splashed with wine. He hoped that it wasn't too bad, but it only made his chest burn a the thought that this had happened at all to begin with. It made him grow, knowing that as soon as he made sure Mallin was alright he would find that woman and make sure she saw what would happen when she crossed the King or his subjects.

Forcing the hatred from his eyes though, he stood in front of Mallin's door before slowly reaching out and turning the knob, poking his head through the door, "Mal?" He called out softly, frowning when he saw nothing but the empty room. He glanced over at his own bedroom, wondering if the man had hid there instead. It would make sense, since the man tended to stay with him more than by himself, but when he found nothing there either, he began to grow worried. Where had Mallin gone?

"Mallin!" He shouted, feeling a little bit of panic overcome him as he hurried farther down the hallway, casting his gaze left and right at each door that he passed.

((Just on lunch right now))

You're so much stronger now. . .

That voice drifted over him like so many ice cold waves as she circled around him, chilling him to his very bones and still he could not move. It was like being a child again, sinking back into his own head and just waiting for his body to move without his command. She'd let him go, then, after she'd touched him once it had only taken instruction from afar to make him ruin everything he'd ever loved.

Think of how many you could kill in one go now.

Sharp pain brought him back to himself, the witch's sharp nails carving blood red lines down each arm even through his clothes. The extra push had him slapping his hands together, lining up the runes on his palms and purifying his body and soul of her touch in a burst of energy that had her stepping backwards away from him. He didn't realize how she'd smiled at him until it was too late.

Mallin couldn't let her get away, couldn't let her go back and destroy more that he'd tried to make for himself, couldn't let his friends get hurt. When she dashed away he cast after her, a hand snapping out towards where she'd fled to grip the space beneath her feet, to pull it out from where she ran - but it didn't work. Instead of a piece of dirt directly beneath her throwing her off balance, she disappeared, and the ground where she had once stood was decimated for several feet down into the earth. At the same time, the castle wall that had been behind her exploded outwards in a defeating crash, leaving a six foot gap in the wall.

Eyes wide with horror, the young Mage caught sight of his own arm outstretched before him, sleeves shredded into pieces and blood dripping from his skin. When she'd hurt him it had brought him back, but it had also cut straight through the signals inked on his skin, and just like that his hard won control snapped like so many thin threads, all at once.

He had only a few meager seconds to realize what had happened, and to catch sight of her grinning madly from atop an intact section of wall, before the world erupted into chaos.

The ground beneath his feet fractured even as the grass turned black, the water from it drifting up into the air around him as a violent wind kicked up into a whirlwind around him, his magic screaming to be released in all facets and slipping neatly through his fingers. The Mage was lost to it, eyes glowing bright white as light leaped and bent around him, followed and crashed into by equal measures of shadow. He couldn't stop, could hardly manage the effort it took to wrap his arms around his chest and struggle to keep everything as close to him as possible. It was too much at once. He couldn't control it, and however slow it moved the destruction was only spreading.

Pleased, the witch waited long enough to see his power unfold without restriction, then took her leave to watch from afar.

Cryon made it to the fifth floor of the castle when he had the sound of what he could only assume was rock shattering echoing through the castle, reverbing off the stone walls and pulsing against his ears that made him flinch with his hands flying to cover them from any damage. It sent panic to his heart, chilling his spine down to the core as he looked at the window where he had thought he had heard it, praying to the sky that it wasn't anything involving Mallin.

He first saw the hole in the wall of the castle, his heart leaping to his throat when he saw that oh so familiar frock of white hair standing near it, his arm outstretched. Cryon stomach sank low into his gut, and he barely had time to let it all sink before he was running down the hallway as fast he could, taking the stairs two at a time to reach Mallin and stop him before anything else happened. There had to be a reason that the mage was doing this. That thought was the only thing that spurned him to move just a little faster, to not halt even as he skidded down the foyer of the castle and out of the wide doors.

It wasn't until he reached where Mallin was that he managed to take in anything more than ragged breath, his face red, yet his body pale and shaking at what he saw before him. The destruction, he didn't think his heart could handle it. This couldn't be Mallin's doing, but it was, and that only served to tear his heart all the more harshly, ripping at the very seams of it until he felt like he was bleeding.

"Mallin stop!" Cryon shouted, his hands twitching with the urge to run to the mage and stop him with himself, but he didn't know how dangerous it was. If Mallin's magic did that to a wall, he was scared to know what it would do to a human, and although he felt guilty for not trusting the mage, the panic on Mallin's face did nothing to appease that maybe he had done it for a reason, and not lost control like he feared.

Everything was ruined.

Even through the panic in his chest, even through the painful surge in power released from him, Mallin knew it was all over. The witch had done what she'd come for, it seemed - he had gotten strong enough to fight himself free if her hold, and so she had taken away his guards and helped make him stronger, until he couldn't keep it in anymore. The wedding was ruined, the castle wall was ruined, everything he had been trying to set up for himself was ruined. He would always be the little boy that tore the king and queen apart.

It was only dimly over the roar of the wind past his ears that Mallin heard Cryon's voice, but it wasn't fair. How could he just stop? He was trying - he was trying as hard as he could and control still slipped through his fingers, the change too sudden, too much to process at once. The way the vortex of it pushed at him and the way his own power surged out from him he could hardly move, couldn't so much as turn to look at where his love's voice had come from, pained tears sliding down his cheeks in tracks of glowing light.

It only grew worse when the castle's defenses mounted against him as they were trained to, a dozen or so archers sending a quick flurry of arrows into the maelstrom, and Mallin could hardly hear the sound of his own scream over the chaos, inky blackness shooting out from the ground at his feet to catch the arrows one by one and break them in half. Only one reached him, grazed across an already bleeding arm and hardly drew his notice at all through everything else around him. It was this, perhaps, that led to one foolish - or simply, very brave - soldier to try to breach the destruction around him.

"No, don't!" He cried, desperation in his throat like a sob, and it did nothing. His magic protected him as it had against the arrows, a spike of earth snapping up into the man's chest with enough force to break bone and send him tumbling back along the grass. Mallin couldn't know if the blow had killed the man or if the armor had protected him, but did it matter? If it didn't come to an end, people were going to die just like she wanted.

That didn't have to happen. It couldn't. He couldn't let her destroy everything he dated to try and hold close, not again. When the guard had been hit, his sword had been knocked from his hands and laid only feet away. If he forced himself to his knees and reached, he was sure he could get to it. He could stop this before anyone else was hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
The desperation that wracked through Cryon only served to make his eyes grow wide and his skin to grow cold as he stared at his love's destruction, the arrows doing nothing except stab him with the pain that Mallin couldn't be stopped. It wasn't until the guard was flung away by rock that his body was spurred into movement again, hurrying to the guard and grabbing the man, looking for the rise and fall of breath on the otherwise slack body.

There was a small breath, each one breaking out in a soft whimper in what the King could only assume was pain. It was a miracle the man was alive, and when he turned to see Mallin, he saw the mage reaching for the sword the guard had dropped, and Cryon's heart froze in his chest as time slowed down, leaving nothing but shock and panic in its wake. Still, he found the strength to stand, tears already welling as he tried to force his frozen legs to move.

"Mallin!" He shouted, his pain ripping at his throat and leaving it ragged as he raced to get to Mallin before he grabbed that sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.