A Twist of Fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mallin wasn't so sure of Cryon's confidence in him, but he let it go with a sort of 'I guess we'll see' shrug and carefully put back the pieces he'd been fiddling with. They did, at first, go over how each piece should move, at his own request to be sure he remembered the general rules, but otherwise got into things very quickly. It was the only way to learn, like a lot of things, to fully immerse oneself and then see what happened and learn as he went. It was hardly necessary to mention that he lost quickly and devastatingly for the first few games.

The Mage wasn't sure how long they played, but as they went on he started to learn better. It wasn't as if he was unfamiliar with the concept of strategy. He'd been in difficult situations that required critical thinking before, whether they be figuring out water supply, or where buildings needed to be reinforced in wind storms, or which person needed to be put down first in a fight. He watched how Cryon played and mimicked tactics until he learned them, then started to make his own decisions quickly enough. He had to fight back the analogy of a true battlefield, though, or he knew he wouldn't want to sacrifice his pawns for the sake of the game.

Focused as he had been on relearning old tactics and developing new ones, he only looked up when Cryon spoke, his cheek leaned on a bandaged hand, fingers thin and calloused, an elbow resting lazily on the table as he looked over the board. "Am I?" He asked with a small smile, a brush of light humor in his voice. "I've still only won the once." And that had been a slip up on Cryon's part, something Mallin still wasn't sure had been an accident or a simply trying to make him feel better. "I don't think I've gotten it yet, but it makes me think. I like that." Arcturus could be terribly lonely sometimes, even surrounded by people as he had generally always been hard at work, and getting lost in his own thoughts wasn't usually a welcome event. And besides, this game would give him an excuse to spend more time in Cryon's room each night before they separated to sleep.

"Nothing ever starts out perfect." Cryon pointed out, feeling more lax than he had in a long time as he made his move, looking over the pieces and considering what move Mallin might make next. Hopefully, it would be a good move, one that would give Cryon more of a challenge, mainly because he liked the pleased look on the mage's face when he had won the first time.

"It's been a while since I had someone I could really play with." Cryon said, letting his mind wander and say the first thing that he thought of. In truth, it had been a while since he had really connected with anyone other than Nima, and after the knight had met his soon-to-be wife....well, he has had a lot of alone time to just sit and ponder his own ideas and desires. "But, I'm glad that it's you."

Cryon dipped his head a little at that, focusing more on the pieces now and their intricate carvings. He didn't want to embarrass himself with sappy moments out of nowhere, but he couldn't help it. Mallin just looked so damn cute when he was concentrating.

Mallin was focused on trying to make the right move, hand twitching more than once towards one piece or another before finally making the best decision he could and sticking with it. Cryon had always been a far better tactician, even when they were just children, and Mallin was rather sure by now that it hadn't changed. He'd been through real fights before, in Arcturus, but nothing very large or that he'd been in charge of. Somehow thinking of the game as a preparation for the battlefield made it seem more important than it was. He was still hoping war wouldn't come for them.

The Mage looked up when Cryon's voice took on a familiarly soft edge, the change Mallin was getting used to hearing when something more serious and personal came from his dearest one's mouth. ". . . I'm glad you found me." He said back when he could, softly, as if there were anyone to hear or as if speaking too loudly would shatter the quiet, peaceful room around them. He was not glad of the reason he'd had to leave, or how much devastation he'd left in his wake, but he was glad Cryon had somehow found him, and had forgiven him.

"Finding a place for myself wasn't easy, or without its bumps." He added quietly after, something pensive and considering in his eyes, and something almost like sadness when he offered his friend a small smile. "But experiences are what makes us, yes?" He had to believe that all he'd been through had left him a better person, or at least a toughened, more experienced one. If he didn't believe that, if neither of them did, he was sure the weight of everything could crush them easily. "I'm glad you found me, and that I didn't let myself run away. I'm so glad you brought me home." Even after all this time, right here where he was was the only place he wanted to be.

His lips twitched at the corner as Mallin spoke, forcing himself to focus on the game in front of him rather than hugging Mallin like his body so desperately wanted him to do. Instead, he picked up on the of the chess pieces, moving it on instinct to protect his queen and king from any possible attacks from any of the mage's pieces. Finally, he allowed his eyes to dart back to Mallin, taking the moment to reach out, squeezing the mage's hand gently.

"I've missed you." Cryon said, his throat clenching the smallest bit, pressing his lips together before giving Mallin a sad smile. "I've missed you so much, and I am so glad that you've come home." He gave Mallin's hand another squeeze before slowly letting go, letting his fingers graze over the surface of Mallin's hand before he slowly pulled it back to his side, folding it back in under his arm as he stared at the game board for a moment of silence.

Cryon's brows furrowed as he let his mind wonder in thought for a moment, his gaze flicking to Mallin before back down, chewing on his lower lip. "Do you think that I am doing the right thing with this war?" He asked, his voice a bit hesitant as he rubbed at his mouth, his nose twitching in discomfort.

Mallin didn't attack directly, taking more careful paths as he usually tried to do in life. Fights were direct and fast, but strategy had to resist rushing bullheadedly into things. He positioned a bishop carefully to be able to wiggle into Cryon's defenses, and if not to at least eliminate another pawn. It was a gamble he had to take, even if he didn't like it, and he had to stop himself from thinking too seriously about what was, quite literally, only a game.

He looked up when Cryon touched his hands, fingers curling instinctively around Cryon's as the man squeezed, confusion softening into a similar, sad sort of happiness. He smiled faintly and said nothing, and finally when Cryon spoke again his features twisted into a worried frown. It was a difficult question, and one he wasn't sure he would ever have a good answer to, but it was clearly weighing on his dear friend and he couldn't say nothing.

". . . Avoiding a war is always the best course of action." He said at some length, a thoughtful hand to his chin as he tried to piece through his own thoughts, settling back a bit in his seat. "But you've taken measures to protect your people, as any king should. Nothing is ideal, but . . . from a somewhat outside point of view, I think you're doing as well as anyone could expect someone in your position to do. . . No one but tyrants and the greedy, conniving sort ever benefit from war." Some day, he would have to admit the promise he had made to the King of Arcturus, but somehow now didnt seem the time. They had finally found a bit of peace, and their understanding of each others' feelings was new. Mallin didn't want to make his friend angry with him.

Cryon gave Mallin a strained sort of smile, tipping his head slightly as his brows pulled together in a sad and troubled expression. There was nothing he could do about the war, not now the pieces were set, and like chess, he would have to wait for the rival King's play and hope it went to the defensive. He agreed with Mallin. He did not want a war, and he was so glad that he had the mage here to calm his nerves, even if only by a little, and make it easier to face the consequences on what he had set into motion.

"Thank you, Mallin. I don't know what I would have done without you here. I might have gone crazy at the thought of it." Cryon said, trying to relax from the sudden fear that had washed over him at the thought of not being adequate enough to run a kingdom. Instead, he turned his eyes back to the chess board, staring at it for several moments, trying to force himself to think of a good strategy, only to let his shoulders sag the smallest bit when he realized that he couldn't focus on strategy at the moment. Still, he managed to move one piece into place, a strategy he had made earlier in the game. It would suffice for the moment.

"You might win another one, Mallin." Cryon encouraged gently, moving his eyes from the pieces to the man sitting in front of him, focusing on his eyes carefully as a bit of a warm reminder that Mallin was there at least, and he would help him to the best of his abilities, and that's all the Cryon could ever ask for.

Mallin looked a bit shyly away when Cryon spoke, a hesitant sort of smile tugging at his lips. He had learned, eventually, how to accept praise gratefully, but here it felt as if his friend were giving him too much credit. Yet, Mallin didn't want to protest and imply that he wouldn't be of any help, or that he didn't appreciate his friend's kind words. More than anything, the Mage just wanted his king to find some sort of real happiness, something beyond a temporary surface joy. He would give anything for that.

"We wouldn't want that." Mallin murmured softly, toying with a piece but not moving it just yet as he thought. "You're already crazy enough as it is." He offered a soft smile, affectionate and teasing, but as Cryon seemed to deflate and the kingdom was visibly pressing down on his shoulders, Mallin's expression shifted into something soft and concerned. Idly, automatically, he moved his bishop to take the piece Cryon had moved, trusting he would be able to use his rook next if the bishop were captured.

"It's getting late." The Mage said, shaking his head and shifting his weight forward as if to stand. "You should rest. We can pick up the game some other day." He had no interest in winning if Cryon was going to keep looking so much like he'd aged ten years in the last few minutes. "A warm bath and then to bed; you'll feel better after you sleep, yes?" He would stay until the King's eyes closed if that was what it took to get him some rest.

Cryon let out a soft hum at Mallin's teasing, and he hadn't realized how tired he actually felt until the mage had pointed it out. He scratched at his chin, and he couldn't help but wonder when he had started getting stubble. What was the last time he had even shaved? A week ago? Two? Such a simple and benign task had been forced from his mind with all that was happening with the kingdom. Now it seemed to make sense on why his father had let his beard grow instead of cutting it off.

"I'm sorry for tiring out on you." Cryon apologized as he stood, looking at Mallin with a bit of regret in his eyes. Although he wanted to spend all the time he could with his friend, his limbs felt heavy as he stepped back from the table, pushing the chair in and sighing, glancing down at the pieces one last time.

"Perhaps you would like to join me for a soak?" Cryon asked, making his way to the bathroom suite himself, glancing back at Mallin with a bit of playfulness in his tired eyes. He could make his own bathwater at least, as his parents had made sure he knew how to do as many things as he could on his own. He didn't feel like he could have the energy to actually go find a servant to do it for him, especially since he just wanted it to be him and Mallin for a little while longer.

When Cryon tried to apologize, Mallin only shook his head and smile. "Don't be sorry." He reassured gently. "Your health is more important to me than a game." Losing a few minutes of time here and there because his friend needed rest was no trial. He would rather Cryon get proper sleep and eat well, things he would need to withstand the stresses of the day that were so evident in his posture and the lack of care of his own face. The stubble wasn't bad, but neither of them had been old enough to grow facial hair before the incident and Mallin was still adjusting. Perhaps Cryon had made the decision to grow it and hadn't just forgotten to shave.

"Of course." The response was automatic, but Mallin did shuffle his feet a bit as he stood, not quite embarrassed but hesitant. He remembered their last bath together, asking Cryon to stay with him and ending up with the man jumping in fully clothed. But the Mage wasn't foggy with fever, this time around, and even if he was no stranger to bathing next to other men somehow it felt more intimate.

When the walked to the bathroom Mallin let Cryon draw the water and adjust it to the temperature he liked, remembered being children again. He was supposed to have been at the prince's beck and call when he was older, and yet so often it had been Cryon taking care of him instead, like an older brother might. It was nice, being reminded of those things even as he unwrapped the bandages from his arms and saw again the sigils etched into his skin.

". . . Do you want me to . . ." Mallin faltered even as he asked, unsure if he would insult his friend by suggesting the beard was bad, and just tapped lightly at his own smooth jaw to mime what he'd meant. He didn't grow as much hair as his friend, not as quickly, and should he do so he knew he would look like an old man once it grew in white, but he did usually shave every morning. It was part of a routine, and he'd tried to keep as much of his old routine as he could when he'd moved from Arcturus back to his home, wanting a smoother transition. Maybe Cryon was only tired and didn't want any servants near his throat with sharp things. Mallin would help, if that was what his friend wanted.

When the water was at the right temperature for Cryon, he sat back on his heels with a small sigh, the slight steam of the warm water hitting the cooler air enticing his muscles to scream in need for some relaxation. He straightened into a normal stand, feeling the burning in his legs the muscles stretched. Slowly but surely, he began popping each button to his clothing, sliding off his shirt first and folding it into a neat little square. He set a little ways away from the bath so it wouldn't get wet, and turned to his pants.

At Mallin's words, he glanced over at the man, seeing him tap his jaw in an offer. Cryon flushed, his cheeks dusting red with a twinge of shame at not having the strength to even take care of himself. "If you don't mind..." Cryon said, almost sheepishly, turning his eyes back to the ground as he worked his pants over his hips and off his legs. Removing his undergarments didn't take long at all, and he was slipping into the bath, taking in a small breath of air as he was enveloped in the warmth.

His eyes closed automatically as he settled in the bath, letting his head rest back on the stone edge. The ache in his body seemed to lessen the longer he stayed, easing the tension that he hadn't even realized he had been carrying for so long. With almost a bleary feeling of sleep dragging at him, he slowly opened his eyes, looking over at Mallin and watching him quietly, not sure what to say, but knowing that he really didn't have to say anything.

Mallin managed a little smile through the butterflies in his stomach when Cryon agreed, though the agreement looked almost reluctant. It made the Mage happy to be able to help, at least, and part of him was also happy that they were close enough his dearest King would let down his pride enough to accept that help. It made Mallin feel warm inside, and he let himself entertain the idea that Cryon wouldn't let anyone else see this tired, weak-limbed version of himself even as he looked for supplies.

When he found Cryon's razor and shaving oil, as well as a small towel and shallow bowl meant for rinsing, he set the supplies near the bath and finally finished undressing. It was stranger than the usual casual bathing experience, the Mage would admit, feeling Cryon's gaze burning into his skin despite the laziness of it. He only felt better when he reminded himself that the man had already seen him naked and it was of no consequence.

Mallin settled easily into the bath next to his friend and filled the small bowl with water, setting it just outside the tub and wetting the cloth in warm water to set aside for now. He gave the razor a test against his own hand, seeing how much pressure he could put on it before it cut into skin, and made sure it was thoroughly washed after he'd found out. The razor was sharp and it wouldn't take much pressure for what it was supposed to do, Mallin was sure, and when he was done preparing he set the blade on the edge of the tub and reach for the bottle of oil.

"I'll admit I've never done this before." He said softly, looking at his tired friend with some concern for his health, but also a bit of shyness at the quiet intimate air around them. He could have this, he told himself. Cryon had kissed him back and they were happy and he could have this without fear. "Wet your face for me? Your skin should be warm before we start." He only hesitated then to let Cryon back out if the man should he want to.

"I trust you." Cryon said, letting his hands cup the water in front of him as he gave his friend a soft smile before sitting up in a more rigid position, running the water over his cheeks and chin. He did a few more times, rubbing his fingers over the stubble until his face felt warm and soaked thoroughly to the touch. With a sigh, he let his hands disappear back under the water, putting his head into an easy position that revealed most of the stubble for Mallin and closed his eyes, deciding it would be best as long as he stayed completely still.

"The servants tell me all the time how much easier it is to shave another person rather than yourself, so I have no doubt you will be able to figure out." Cryon commented after a moment before laying still and allowing Mallin to start. He felt like he could doze any moment, were he not worried that he would slowly slip further into the water, and although he had no fear of Mallin not catching him, he didn't want the mage to panic.

(sorry it's short)

Mallin made an uncertain face, shaking his head a bit. "I should think it would be harder, since I can feel the razor on my own skin." Still, he was going to be very careful, especially when he got to the man's throat. Little nicks always hurt, and he wanted to be sure that Cryon would be comfortable after they were done, without his skin hurting.

Mallin tipped Cryon's head gently back with one hand lightly on his jaw and the other behind his neck. "Relax like this." He urged softly, and shifted closer to sit on his knees next to the man for stability's sake. Picking up the bottle, he got a decent amount of shaving oil on his hands and spread it carefully across his friends throat and jaw, until it would make the razor glide smoothie and easy over his skin, and rinsed his hands before picking up the blade. It was quiet and warm, the only sounds the slight motion of the water and the faint slide of the razor, and Mallin kept his fingertips resting lightly against the man's skin even when he didn't strictly need to, his eyes glued to what he was doing. He couldn't help wanting to touch as much as he could now that he knew it was allowed.

"All right?" The Mage asked his groggy love when he had washed the razor off the last time, carefully rinsing the man's skin with warm water, then lukewarm, and then cool to calm his skin gradually and keep it from getting irritated. He took the cloth then and soaked it in warm water to wipe away any remaining oil with a gentle touch. "I didn't hurt you?" He didn't see any cuts - but then, maybe he was just looking for more reason to keep running his fingers gently over his friends cheeks.

((It's okay :) mines also a bit shorter than it would've been cuz I'm replying on my phone lol back to work I go))

Cryon let out a soft rumbling noise in his throat, not moving from that position as he felt Mallin's fingers brushing against his skin, followed soon by a gentle cloth that made even his tensest muscle in his jaw relax. He didn't open his eyes yet, letting his hand slide gently up the mage's arm to the hand holding the cloth, resting his palm over the back of his hand and sliding his fingers in between Mallin's gently, letting his hand move gently along the path from his jaw down the center of his throat to his chest where he stopped it, sighing.

"It feels amazing, Mal." Cryon said, letting his free hand touch his face to check for any missed parts or rough patches. He didn't find a single one and finally turned his head, letting the corner of his cheek rest against the stone of the bath before he opened his eyes and took in the sight of the mage, running his thumb along the edge of Mallin's hand gently.

With a little grunt, he slowly slid himself back up into a more comfortable sitting position, letting out a groan as his tired muscles ached. "I might have you do that from now on. You didn't miss a single spot." Cryon said, smiling a bit more warmly now that he felt better, more clean and refreshed than he had before. Although the tiredness still dragged at his limbs, it was much less prominent, and the water making him feel almost weightless was definitely helpful.

Mallin made a soft, surprised sound when Cryon covered his hand but didn't protest, just watching with almost sleepy, attentive eyes as the man held his hand and checked that his work was as good as could be expected. Mallin had to smile, hearing his friend's praise, and squeezed Cryon's hand back as the man settled into a more comfortable position. Carefully, Mallin shifted to lay his legs out the same direction, slightly bent at the knee to keep from sliding any further down, and sunk into the water up to his chin.

"I would be happy to." He said contentedly, a little smile still on his face. "Anything I can do." He wanted to help Cryon with as much as he could. He had been meant to take care of the man once they were grown, and now he had the idea in his head to do it of his own volition. Anything to relieve some of Cryon's stress, and be close to his friend.

((Bit short, brain shorted out))

Cryon knew he could stay there for the rest of his life with the feeling in his chest like this as he leaned a bit closer to Mallin, letting his hand slowly reach out and touch the mage's shoulder. It made its way down the muscles of Mallin's arm gently, almost feather light, before he found the mage's hand again and took it, letting out a sigh and closing his eyes to just enjoy the warmth that was seeping through his body and covering him like a blanket.

He wasn't sure how long time had passed like that, but he felt almost reluctant when he finally had to move from that spot, the skin on his fingers wrinkled and his body feeling thoroughly soaked through and through. Nevertheless, he only gave Mallin a small smile and a kiss on his hand before standing and pulling himself from the bath, hiding his blush at the suddenness of his own actions. He was unused to it all, but he couldn't ever say he regretted that little show of affection.

"Come, Mallin. Let's go get into pajamas." Cryon said warmly, shivering as he felt the cool air touch the warmth of his skin. He hurried over to the corner of the room where the towels were kept, grabbing him and Mallin both one and wrapping it around his waist, shaking his head to rid himself of the excess water.

(It's quite alright ^^)

It was warm and quiet, steam hanging loosely in the air around them and Mallin idly keeping the water heated around them as they sat. He glanced over when Cryon touched him, something soft and warm unfurling in his chest as the man took his hand. He was sure, if he tried harder to look into what he was feeling it would be love. Like the feeling of a child being held by their mother, or a husband seeing his wife after a long time apart. It was more wonderful than most things he had felt in life.

When Cryon stood, Mallin was reluctant to release his hand, feeling sleepy and content. He only stood when Cryon was already bringing towels, running a hand back through his hair to flick some of the water back into the tub. He smiled a little at the idea that he needed a towel to use, but for novelty's sake he did take it and use that to dry rather than his own magic.

"Some sleep does sound nice." He said softly when he was dry enough to step out of the tub and tied the towel around his waist as well, draining the tub behind him. He only hated that they had to separate eventually. ". . . Do you want me to sit with you, until you sleep?" It wouldn't take long, Mallin was sure.

Cryon ran his fingers through his hair, deeming it dry enough that he would be able to put on clothes without soaking them and nodded, looking at Mallin with a soft smile. "I would like you to." Cryon mumbled, not wanting to speak any louder. This time felt extremely intimate, something that he didn't want to ruin by speaking to loudly and jolting either of them out of it.

When Mallin was ready, he headed into the bedroom, searching for pajamas in the dresser and pulling out the biggest pair of his he could find. "Sorry, I didn't think about you needing pajamas." Cryon said, flushing slightly as he looked down at the clothing. It would be tight on the taller mage, and some sort of uncomfortable. "If you'd rather go to your room and get some, I'll go ahead and get dressed."

Cryon set the pajamas on top of the dresser just in case Mallin would rather just wear them and pulled his undergarments up onto his hips before pulling the pajama pants afterwards and sighing as he felt them warm up to his skin, and although they clung slightly, it was not uncomfortable. The shirt was a little more difficult, but he didn't even notice as he began yawning, stretching and letting his eyes close for a moment before he crossed to the edge of the bed and sat with a soft sigh, rubbing the towel through his hair almost lazily.

((Thought I responded! Sorry -_-))

Mallin smiled just a little when Cryon admitted to wanting him to stay, nodding and reaching to push the clothes back and briefly touch the man's shoulder before he moved away. "I'll come right back." He reassured, and gathered up his clothes from the bathroom before leaving. He did check to be sure no one was in the hall, but knew he could drag a shadow over his unclothed self to hide if anyone should appear.

The trip to his own quarters went without incident, and as soon as he was dressed in his own sleep clothes Mallin went back to Cryon's room again, knocking quietly before entering. He entered quietly on bare feet, unused to the decorum of the castle and so uncaring, and closed the door behind him. It took a moment, but his eyes did adjust to the shifted lighting again and he smiled when he spotted Cryon finally.

"You've had a difficult day." The Mage said softly, walking over to where Cryon lay in bed and sitting down beside him, not wanting to fall asleep himself. "Are you sore anywhere? Do you want me to heal you?" If nothing else, he could give sore muscles a bit of heat to soothe them.

"My back is a little stiff," Cryon said, shifting his shoulders and rolling them to get some of the pain out. It felt better than before the bath, especially when he first stood up after writing that letter. He really hated desk work, especially when it was something as formal and mind-numbing as a form of offensive peace.

He slid off his shirt, letting it pool around his waist and turning it towards Mallin, closing his eyes and resting his arms on his knees, taking in a deep breath of contentment as he let the moment just wash over him before he finally lay down, allowing Mallin to do whatever healing he wished as he folded his arms under his pillow.

He let his eyes flicker up to Mallin, a soft smile on his face as he watched him. "Is everyday going to be like this?" He asked, his voice barely above a whisper, almost like he didn't want Mallin hearing in the first place. He had hopes that they could be perfectly content, even if he could not come out directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.