A Clash of Worlds (Taliesin&redblood)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"There is little like being able to see the world." Adrian agreed with a smile. He wasn't the most outdoorsy but he did enjoy looking at it. Back at home in his room it looked at lot like Paris's but except instead of flowers it was all pictures of trees and landscapes. "Hmm?" Adrian looked at the bubble in consternation. "…Really?" He glowered at it. "No, there's no particular reason. Sometimes it just changes colors. It's the joy of working with an energy that is closely tied to something as fickle as emotions." Hopefully Paris would not follow the reasoning behind why emotions would make it change colors. He really shouldn't have said anything like that at all but he had been caught off guard and spoke without giving it proper thought.

"Ah, I think I see trees finally. You're city is really quite large, I was starting to think we were never going to get out of it." He exclaimed, once again hoping for a smooth transition to a less uncomfortable subject.

"Tied to emotions.." Paris mumbled, probably far too low for Adrian to hear him. What kind of emotions might he have to make it change color from blue to red? As he only knew what different colors symbolized in his own country, and wasn't sure how accurate that was with the magic, he simply didn't think about that. If he did he would just come to the conclusion that Adrian was outraged over something, as red usually symbolized anger. Sometimes love, but pink was more common for that feeling.

"Wow, I barely even knew we had those still. I have heard legends about them, but never would I think they actually existed." He joked as they both noticed the forest that were ahead of them. It was a quite common joke among his people. They were so advanced so there were no need for a forest any longer. Of course that wasn't true. Trees would always be important, even his people knew that. But there were few real forests left in the country, and they mainly imported tree from other countries as they barely dared to touch anymore of their own for the lands sake.

Adrian could hardly wait to get out of the admittedly mesmerizing city. It was only mesmerizing for so far however and endless blocks of buildings just weren't the same as a forest stretching out in front of them. For a moment he thought Paris was actually serious about not thinking they had trees anymore. The idea was just so ridiculous to him. Or it would have been before he spent the last 15 minutes flying over a huge city. The color of the bubble was now starting to tint towards orange and yellow. "Your legends apparently contain a lot of real things." He managed to joke back finally, putting the scary thought of there not being any more trees somewhere in the back of his mind. "Your people should listen to them more often."

Adrian flew them well into the forest before putting them down in a clearing near a pond. "Now this is more like it." He sighed happily.

Even though he didn't think it would ever be possible, the impossible happened. He was far more excited after the landing than about the flight. He was standing in a real forest, without any guards to protect him, nor anyone telling him what a dangerous place they were in. Well, technically speaking they weren't in the forest, they were in a clearing in the forest. Which probably would have been an even worse danger and his adviser would probably have tried to get him into the car as fast as possible. Though there was really no reason to drive through a forest as the highway was much faster.

"Wow." There was so many smells he had never felt before. He could feel the differences in the air. There was barely any pollution out there. It was too cool to be true. That thought deserved another wow, he had never used the word cool to describe anything before, not even in his head.

"Yeah, we should probably listen to them more often." He said going back to their previous conversation, though he was still quite taken by his surrounding. "That would have given you a really warm welcome." Paris walked up to the small pond and dipped his hand. It was a bit too cold to actually jump into it. Not because he had thought of doing so, that would have been hard explained once he came back to the palace. "You never told me what your people think about us. Do you have some crazy stories that doesn't fit what you've seen, or were you spot on?" His hand was playing with the surface of the water, dipping one finger at a time while watching the rings that appeared.

Adrian really wasn't sure how he was feeling about this 'technology' if it involved reaching a point where visiting a forest was such an amazing thing for Paris. But perhaps that was the people, it was not like he had seen any indications so far that forests had to be sacrificed for this technology. "It's hard to say." Adrian responded slowly. "My parents always warned that your 'science' was too dangerous, to give inanimate things the ability to move on their own. That your people worshiped only metal and fire and were demons that had lost their humanity to it. There were lots of stories about machines that would become too alive and taking over the world."

He glanced at Paris with a half-smile. "I haven't noticed that your people are particularly different from mine." He wasn't entirely sure about the rest of it though. The 'limo' that he arrived in seemed suspicious.

That certainly brought the young prince back from his state of ah and wonder. He couldn't help but laugh a bit, as it was too familiar with what people have said, and still kept saying among their own. Sure, those who said that was few, and no one took them seriously.

"It's more enslaving than worshiping, I can assure you." He chuckled, though non of the statements fitted as they only were codes and machines created by human minds. "Those were really popular stories here too once. A lot of movies were made about how the technology would get out of hand and eventually get a mind of its own. A few hundreds years later, still hasn't happened. Robots are as mindless as always. They're just doing what they're programmed to do, nothing more, but sometimes less." He assured his friend even though he knew that wasn't the person whom needed to hear it.

"They did try to give computers feelings and a mind of their own, but that hasn't moved forward much. It's probably impossible to do something like that. If robots decides to take over the world, it will be because some human decided to program them that way."

Adrian raised an eyebrow, quite curious to see Paris's response to this. He was rather relieved that Paris didn't seem to take offense at all in fact. "Hmm…well the accuracy is about what could be expected." Adrian shrugged and waved determinedly at a patch of moss which grew up into a solid, if squishy, chair for him. "I find it fascinating that your people actually tried to make your computers so dangerous however. It seems a bit fool hardy." He chuckled a bit as he saw down, patting the rest of the moss chair in invitation if Paris was so inclined. "Regardless though." And here he gave Paris an almost proprietary smile. "It doesn't look like I'll be going home any time soon so I will have plenty of time to judge that for myself."

He smiled at the knowledge that Adrian would stay for longer than Paris had expected. It would not only give him time to learn about magic, but also to learn a lot about Adrian.

"Not so fascinating as it was human nature." He said as he moved towards the moss chair. "You see, when technology first started to blossom, it did go very fast. It only took 10 years from the moment internet was launched till the day almost every household in the developed world had access to it. While those born into it got used to it quickly the grandparents were often skeptic towards it because it was something they couldn't truly understand. When they couldn't understand it they came to fear it. And thus starting ridiculous rumors." He explained while sitting down.

"And while they did try to create something that potentially could become dangerous, they only did it so that they might get closer to understanding the human brain. If we can create machines that can think for themselves, that would show how we as humans being can act on anything else than our instincts. Our brain is a lot like a computer, and should only do what it is programmed for, which is survival. But humans have always seemed to succeed that and found new ways to use it in a better way. Instead of survival we are now seeking comfort."

He did stop himself there as he weren't sure if that was a topic Adrian could follow, as he didn't really understand how a computer worked to begin with. "Sorry, I'm rambling." He excused himself.

Adrian did his best to follow what Paris was trying to say but he was beyond Adrian's understanding about the point where he passed the internet. All his talk about how the human brain worked went entirely over his head. He wasn't entirely sure he cared to either, it sounded like a confused and cynical way of looking at the world. "Uhm…it's fine." He felt like his brain was spinning. "Let's keep to uh…not so specialized topics for now though. Aside from magic of course." They would be getting all kinds of technical with that. In fact he was pondering trying for a lesson right now, though they had spent a fair amount of time wandering about and it was staring to get a bit late.

"Just what time were you looking at getting back?" He patted the others hand. "It's not like we can't come back out here whenever we want. This is a good place for you to practice."

That had definitely confused him. Oh well, if he got some months, or maybe a year getting used to it, then maybe he could start scratching on the surface of the human brain vs computer debate. Or maybe that was just hopeful thinking. He had grown up with it after all, one year vs a lifetime. Who could possibly win that debate?

As he was reminded about the time, he looked down into the ground. Gosh, he really didn't want to leave, they were having such a good time. But it couldn't be helped. He doubted that he would be able to come back there whenever he wanted, as people would notice if he disappeared too often. But a bit now and then couldn't hurt. "We should probably get back soon, I rather not oversleep tomorrow. My father wants me to be beside him on every meeting so that I can learn through experience instead of textbooks." He did try to sound like a strict old man at the end, but failed slightly.

"It's kind of boring, but at least I can daydream through it all. It will be worse when I actually have to listen and make decisions myself." While he did know how to run the kingdom, he wasn't particularly overjoyed over doing so one day. There was too much he would rather do. But life just didn't go his way. Well, except for Adrian, that part of his life seemed to go the perfect way.

"Ah yes I remember my brother complaining about that all of the time." Adrian chuckled softly, though at the time it had made him a bit jealous. Partially because he was ambitious but partially because as his brother got older he got less and less attention from anyone other than his magic master who died a couple years before his brother took the throne. His lips pressed together and he firmly put that thought away in its box. "It will be worth it in the end I hear." He smiled faintly and stood up, once again holding out a hand to Paris. "Lend me your power for the way back as well?" They would take it slowly on the way back and if his invisibility screen happened to be a dark blue, almost black on the way back, well he would just ignore it as usual. He could force the color to stay just the light blue it had started as but for some reason he felt okay showing his emotions in this oblique way around Paris.

Paris nodded and took Adrian's hand. That mysterious power flowed through his body once again. It was incredible how such a small thing seemed to do so much. "Hope so, or maybe I'll just marry someone who doesn't mind doing the job for me." It was mainly a joke, though it would be welcomed if his future life partner liked that sort of thing. After all, there were no rules for what was the kings duty and what was the queens. It was usually up to the couple to decide. While his parents had chosen the more traditional way, letting the king do most of the work while the queen was more of a front figure and might help her husband with certain things, many had during the last twohundred years started to change the orders.

"I hope I can visit your country in the near future. After all the culture shock you have gone through, I should try it out too so I can feel your pain." Of course he didn't believe it was a pain, but it must be obnoxious to not understand how even the easiest thing worked. But that wasn't really why he wanted to go, as he had mentioned before, he was very interested in seeing such a different country.

Adrian had to try so hard not to laugh at Paris's statement, if only Adrian had been born a woman. As it was he would just have to be a bit sneakier in how he went about things. "It has hardly been that bad." Adrian contradicted him as they rose up into the air once more. The only thing that was ridiculous was either Paris or the mating rituals in this country. He wasn't quite sure which one yet but considering how the countess had behaved with him earlier he was leaning towards it was Paris, being Paris. Which was working both for and against Adrian. It was all very strange and confusing in that way.

"It would be nice if we could convince your parents to let me take you there though. It is so much different from your land."

"Well, it shouldn't be that hard to do." Paris told him, even though he knew it would take a lot. But from Adrian's point of view, if he wanted to help, it would be easy. For Paris on the other hand, it would be a nightmare, as he would have to stand for most of the behind the scene work of convincing them how he could leave the country without getting assassinated. Adrian just has to make them believe that his country were safe.

"If they get to meet you and they notices how civilized you are and you tell them a bit about your country, then they might ease up on the idea. They probably just have to be convinced that there won't be anything that might kill me right after my arrival." He wondered how many guards he would be forced to take with if they ever bent to his wishes. He hoped for non, but that would never happen. At least they would have to go with him until they arrived at Adrian's home.

Adrian raised an eyebrow, wondering if Paris was actually thinking about what he was saying initially. "Well I am more than welcome to the idea of getting to know your parents. They can see I am not a threat and I can show them just how well I can protect you." He was also thinking about the annoyance of having to bring guards along. It was just complicate his ability to stay close to Paris anyway, the fewer they could bring the better. "It should help that we are right on your border so it's not like you will be traveling exceptionally far or anything. In fact I have already taken steps to do so with the ring I gave you."

Paris smiled. It seemed like they both were going in the same direction with the idea. "Let's work hard to make them change their mind then." He said hopefully. If it succeeded then maybe after he came home safely, his parents would give him slightly more freedom to visit other countries. There had been many requests for it after all. Ambassadors whom had visit and wanted to show their part of the world to the royal family.

Once they landed after a much longer but enjoyable flight back, Paris was slightly sad to leave, even if it only were for a day. "Goodnight then... Ah, I almost forgot. If you get a hard time falling asleep you can always ask a servant to fetch you a sleeping pill and a cup of tea. It usually does the trick within half an hour." He told his friend, remembering that he had been afraid over not being able to falling asleep after having slept all day. Then he bid his goodbye and said they'd meet after his morning work, or training, was done. Which would be around lunch.

It was fairly hard for Paris to fall asleep that night, mainly because he was still excited after the evening. But eventually he fell asleep and dreamed about flying. That was something he hadn't done for a long time.

The next morning did go painfully slowly, but he were keeping up with everything that was said. What a luck that he had paid attention just that day, as his father decided to randomly asked him about what had been spoken off and what he thought of it. Eventually he could leave when his father was pleased with his performance. Time to seek up Adrian.

Adrian headed back to his rooms, actually following Paris's advice with the first servant he came across. He would much rather try some technological method than put himself to sleep or stay up all night. He was impressed to find that the pill worked exactly as advertised. He had barely finished the tea before deciding he had better get into his bed soon or he might fall asleep in his chair.

After being woken up for breakfast Adrian spent most of the morning hiding from the other guests, the countess in particular. He wanted nothing to do with her again if he could avoid it. He thus retreated back to his room and attempted to utilize the computer in there. He was slightly more successful this time though it took him a few tries to remember how to do everything.

Once online he decided to try and look up the human brain, since Paris had been talking about it last night. He started skimming an article on was.edu and found that rather than improving his understanding he was just making his brain hurt. He decided then to research computers themselves, finding it very ironic that he was doing so on a computer. He got so involved in that research that the time to meet Paris had almost passed already.

"Whoops." He murmured with a chuckle. He stood up and cupped his hand, making a little mini him illusion, with a tracking spell tuned for Paris. "Go find him and bring him here." The little Adrian saluted and zipped off through the walls to find Paris, startling several servants and nobles as it went in a straight line periodically popping through walls.

It found Paris in only a minute or two, comically skidding to a stop midair and waving its arms. "Paris! Paris!"

Paris noticed the shocked servants and guests before he saw the little mini Adrian. "So that what's startled them." He chuckled. "Where's the bigger you hiding?" He asked as it started to move back towards the room. Why did it surprise him so much that Adrian were in his room? Maybe he should have checked there first instead of assuming that he would be among the other guests.

"Not feeling like being social with the others this morning?" Paris asked with a smile as he entered the room. "I think this little fellow might have cause a heart attack or two." Sure it was an an exaggeration, but it could have happened. Maybe. Somewhere in another universe.

At the entrance things started to stir as an unexpected guest arrived.
"Where's Prince Paris?" The person asked in a very demanding way, obviously not caring for if he was busy or not.

Adrian raised his hand again as the little illusion him floated into the room and back onto the palm of his hand, where it sunk back into him. In some ways it resembled the rogue illusion of Adrian the last time he had been working on a computer. "After the state you found me in yesterday I must admit I was not eager to mingle and perhaps pick up another one." He shuddered delicately before smiling brightly at Paris. "Of course, who says that wasn't my intention?" There was no hint of mischief on his face but there was no doubt he was joking about trying to give people heart attacks. "They might as well get used to that sort of thing anyway. I use magic all of the time and soon you will be as well." They might even start with the teaching right now. His room was probably private enough for some more basic things.

He did laugh a little, even though somewhere in his mind he hoped he wouldn't turn his friend into a complete shut in that wouldn't do anything else than sit at the computer all day. But that was probably just a danger for those born into it.... He hoped.

"You sure are optimistic. What if it takes me ten years to even do the smallest of spell?" Paris said, reminding him that he might not be very good at that magic stuff even if he had the potential. He would most certainly try his best, who wouldn't if they had the chance to fly in the sky? But that might never happen as they hadn't even begun to see if he could do anything with it.

"What are you doing anyway?" He then asked looking towards the computer. "Mmm... Found anything interesting?" He fast changed his question. What could he have been reading about all day which made him send a little mini him after the prince instead of going himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.