A Clash of Worlds (Taliesin&redblood)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adrian laughed softly, more relieved than anything that his bait had been taken. He did his best not to look into the way Paris responded though, because he had misread two signals so far and he was not inclined to be burned again so soon. As it was just the thought of wowing Paris was improving his own mood as well. He just had to figure out what he wanted to do. Illusions were the easiest and flashiest without alerting the entire castle to their activities. Conjuration was another possibility.

"Well, when you put it that way." An idea suddenly struck him and a wide grin almost cracked his face. He hadn't been paying much attention to the statement Paris had made before about not having much choice but the deeper meaning behind that suddenly hit Adrian like a load of bricks. He walked over to the other man and held out his hand, looking a strange mix of excited and serious. "Do you trust me?" It was a bit ridiculous to be saying when they'd only met a day ago but if Paris was agreeable he could tap into the other man's energies as well and then they could truly have some fun.

Paris looked slightly confused at his friend for a moment or two. It wasn't that he didn't trust him, it was just that he barely knew him. But even so, he did trust him. He wasn't sure why, as trust should come with time, but something inside him told him that it was okay to trust that person. He accepted the outstretched hand that was offered to him and nodded with a determined expression.

"Of course I do." He answered. "You haven't done anything to prove that I shouldn't." Maybe that little voice inside him, telling him to trust Adrian had been there all the time. After all, when hadn't he trusted someone? Paris always tried to see the good sides in people, and before they proved themselves to be bad, he wouldn't even consider that as an option. Of course that was a very naive way of seeing things, and it could be harmful. But it couldn't be helped.

Adrian's smile couldn't get any wider but it certainly tried. "Then let's fly." He murmured softly and put his other hand over Paris's, holding it between his two palms while he closed his eyes and concentrated. He wasn't surprised that the energy started flowing immediately; Paris was such a sweet and trusting sort that he wouldn't unconsciously hold it back as some other people might. What did surprise him was just how much he was getting. For a second Adrian shivered and enjoyed the kind of rush you got only when linked up to another magician before his eyes flew open and he released Paris's hand with a muffled exclamation. As their hands separated there was a shower of sparks.

He stepped back quickly, panting as he took a few moments to recover himself from the sort of raw itching feeling that came from an abruptly severed link. "Ow…I should not have done that so suddenly…" He rubbed his face and then quickly moved back to Paris, grabbing his hand and looking into his eyes with consternation. "Do you hurt? I did not mean to do that I was just so surprised…"

Paris wasn't sure what was going on, but he left it in Adrian's hands without questioning anything. He started off being slightly nervous, but then he relaxed and closed his eyes too. A strange feeling was flowing through his body, he wasn't sure what it was though as he had never felt anything like it. Then suddenly the hands let go off him and Paris took some steps back when the sparks startled him.

The sudden concern Adrian showed was even more surprising than the sudden sparks. He shook his head slowly. "Don't worry, it didn't hurt. It only shocked me a bit." When he was younger, he had recklessly put his finger into a wall socket. Not the smartest move, but he had been a very small child. The feeling was very similar to that, the sudden shock, the strange itching, but it didn't really hurt.

"What did you try to do?" He asked curiously, hoping he had been able to ease the other man's worries.

Adrian gently released his hand and sighed in relief. "Good. Sometimes breaking like that can be very painful but we were not very deeply in thankfully." He still couldn't quite believe it. Interest in magic did not mean that you were inclined towards it. It was a sign sure because the mind subconsciously knew it had this extra energy and wanted to use it but the very nature of magic drew people to it regardless of whether they had the skill or not.

Adrian took a few moments to collect himself before finally responding to Paris's question. "I…linked us, I guess is the best way to describe it. As I mentioned before all humans and things have a certain level of magical energy in them though most of the time it is not enough to do more than power a set spell. So I was going to borrow yours to help power a fly spell for you but…" He shook his head and chuckled wirily. "I guess I should know by now better than to underestimate you. You felt it right? A normal person might feel a tiny tingle, itching maybe. But for us…it's like your whole body is flowing with it."

So the things he had mumbled about earlier, about flying, he had been serious? Paris could barely believe it, they could use magic for flying? Maybe he shouldn't be surprised anymore, either way, it wasn't much different from what their technology made them do. They could also make illusions, and make moving pictures, they could also fly with the help of planes or gliders. That was what other people would say while trying to come up with reasons for why magic wasn't that amazing. But it was that amazing. One individual could bring themselves to the skies without anything else but the power inside of them.

The next words Adrian said perplexed the young prince. He had definitely felt it, but he wasn't too sure what it meant. With a normal person, did he mean people that couldn't use magic? But... Paris wasn't a magician. At least not as far as he knew. "I did feel something like that." He agreed. It was kind of like a gentle river was going through the body, at least until they separated and a lightning bolt broke the flow.

"With normal people... Do you mean non magicians?" It seemed like that was the only answer to the riddle, but he didn't want to believe in something which then turned out to be a misunderstanding. And so far Adrian hadn't been very clear. To even think of such a thought felt kind of ridiculous, that Paris might have some magic power inside of him. Maybe because he had been raised to believe that their people had since long lost all those abilities.

Adrian once again took a little while to respond, mostly because he was deciding on the best way to share the news. Learning that you had the potential to be a magician was a big deal for anyone, but Paris? He had to do this just right. Finally he settled on how he wanted to do it and grinned at the other prince. "Well, you could hardly call yourself a magician with no training but give it a few years and you may take the title with the rest of us. In the meantime you may call yourself my apprentice." Like hell he would allow anyone else to teach Paris. Luckily they were in a country where there were no other magicians, at least that he knew of. It was unlikely anyone would come forward to challenge him.

Paris was stunned. He could become a magician? But he was normal, his people didn't have that kind of power. Adrian's speech said something else though. There was no way he would fool around with him on such a matter. Did they have April's fool in Adrian's country? Probably not. Even if they did, April the first had already passed. Why was he thinking about ways which would invalid what had just happened? Shouldn't he be happy? He definitely should. But it did feel slightly unreal.

Then it dawned on him. Adrian was actually telling him that he had the potential to become a magician. The strangest feeling of happiness entered his body. "Really? You're not joking with me, right?" It seemed like something that only would happen in his dreams. He almost felt like pinching himself, just to make sure. But he resisted as it would seem slightly weird to do so in front of Adrian. If it was a dream, then he hoped he wouldn't wake up for many years to come.

Adrian smiled at him encouragingly, taking his hand once again and easing them into another link. "You feel it. There's no doubt you have the potential to be a mage, just like me. Half of that energy flowing between us is yours. You have always dreamed about it because it was true, your subconscious mind knew what was there and you just needed to find the way to release it." He chuckled and properly shut down the link. "Your dreams can now all come true." Adrian wasn't even thinking about the reasons he had come here at this moment, he was entirely focused on Paris and just how happy he was to be making Paris so happy.

Pigs must be flying, that's how unbelievable those news were. And still, Adrian was standing in front of him, telling him about it without showing a hint of a hidden joke. In his mind he was starting to jump up and down because of all the joy he was feeling. But he stayed somewhat collected on the outside, though his excitement probably shined through as he barely knew how to stand still. What was he supposed to do with himself? What was the proper response? Screw proper, he wasn't among those old fossil's.

"Amazing." There really wasn't any words he could use to describe his feelings. Without thinking much about it, he had already pulled in Adrian into a hug, though he did fast realize what he was doing and pulled back. "Sorry, I got slightly exited." He confessed with a small blush covering his cheeks. "But it's really unbelievable. And here we thought all magic was gone from our people. But... Are you really okay with teaching me? It won't be a bother for you?" He felt himself calming down a bit, and he were able to think clearly again. Well, he did want to screw proper behavior for a second, and that was pretty much what he had done. No one else to blame but himself.

Adrian had been expecting Paris to lose control at some point; the other man was literally vibrating with excitement. He was completely caught by surprise yet again by the sudden hug though and couldn't help a slight blush on his own cheeks that for once he had no explanation for. He let the connection between them die a bit more gently this time and took a step back, smiling reassuringly. "Why would it be a bother for me? I am bringing magic back to your country and getting to learn more about your technology, it's a win-win situation for me."

He grinned mischievously then. "Besides, how could I pass up the chance to see all these cute expressions come over your face?"

"C.. Cu..." There had been tons of females whom had called him cute, and it had never really affected him. But when Adrian said it, it suddenly felt a little embarrassing. Maybe it was because they were both guys. No guy wanted to be called cute by their male friend. Was that really why it embarrassed him? He wasn't too sure.

"I feel like a girl if you're calling me cute." How could he be so honest with Adrian? Even when he were around people he had known for years, he never told them what he truly felt about a situation except if he was truly happy with it. But it seemed like he could be honest with Adrian.

"Well, if it's no problem for you, then let's teach each other all kinds of stuff." He said, not even noticing the double meaning in his words which anyone else would pick up on easily. Maybe that was why women often liked him so easily, since they always thought he were flirting with him when he simply acted normal.

Adrian smirked, knowing exactly how Paris was feeling and feeling not the tiniest bit of regret about what he had done. Suddenly everything was looking much much brighter. He was now wise to just how incredibly innocent Paris was so didn't take him to actually mean the other possible meanings to that statement though Adrian certainly intended on them. He was not going to be put off by one minor setback, especially now as he had a reason to be here however long it took.

Mentally he rubbed his hands together while once again holding a hand out to Paris. "So, what do you want to do now?" They could resume their aborted flight though he wouldn't be surprised if Paris felt the need to spread the word about his capabilities around.

Paris didn't have to think for long before an answer came to mind. "Well, you did say something about flying." He reminded his friend. That was something he didn't want to pass up on, who knew when the next chance would arise to do something like that. He could just imagine what his mother would say if she found out that he had been out flying with a magician. Maybe it was a good idea to hide the magic from her a little while, she'd probably faint if she thought her little boy did something so dangerous as flying, or practicing with magic. Yeah, he would have to hide it from her for a little while.

Adrian grinned and chuckled. "So I did." He took Paris's hand again and almost instantly the energy started flowing between them. Only a few seconds later they slowly lifted off the ground, the speed increasing the higher they got, though not faster than say, a horse would gallop. "Ah I should probably…" Adrian murmured to himself and a faint blue-tingled bubbled popped into existence around them, moving with them. "There, that should stop anyone from seeing us and freaking out." He gestured grandly as they reached well above the palace. "Choose a direction and we will see what we can find."

He was carefully watching Paris's face, making sure he was not overwhelming the other prince in any way. They could fly even faster but he felt that would be a bit excessive right now. This speed was the most comfortable to maintain anyway.

The energy flowed through his body for the third time as Adrian took Paris's hand. Only moments later they lifted from the ground and up into the air. What an incredible sight, he thought. Never had he been that high before. Except for climbing trees as a small child, he hadn't been very exposed to heights. It wasn't scary at all.

"Are you sure you don't want to freak them out? Just think about the headlines the news could have tomorrow." Paris grinned, but knew himself that it was probably for the best to be invincible for the public eye. If it came out that the prince was out flying with a magician from 'the barbaric kingdom' then it would be hard to silence the rumors. He thought for just a second or so, but realized that he had no idea where anything were, so they would travel into the unknown whichever way they took.

"That way." He pointed towards northwest, choosing the direction completely randomly.

"Isn't it exhausting to keep yourself, and another person in the air like this?" He then asked curiously. How much energy did that kind of magic take? Did it tire them out at all?

Adrian smirked at the thought of what the news people might say about this. He definitely didn't want too many rumors though, he didn't want people to see him coming until it was too late. "That way it is." He was pretty happy that Paris didn't seem to be bothered at all by their height or speed as they once again glided into motion, zooming through the air and quickly leaving the palace in the distance. He once again took a while to answer. It was probably becoming clear to Paris that Adrian was someone that liked to put a lot of thought into what he said, probably as a counter to his tendency to ramble otherwise.

"I wouldn't say it's exhausting, I can certainly tell that I am using a fair amount of energy but it's a bit like carrying a somewhat heavy box. You can feel the strain but it's not so much that you really need to put it down, especially if you're used to doing so. It's getting started that takes the most energy. Once we're in the air the drain is barely noticeable. That being said I would not want to fly more than one, maybe two more people by myself, the strain becomes greater the more objects there are to focus on. It is easy tonight though, between the two of us we have more than enough energy to leave this country if you so wished." And then have plenty left over for all kinds of magic shenanigans besides that. It was a curious trait of magic that two magicians were stronger than simply the sum of their individual powers and if those two were close, even more so.

Paris didn't mind the long pauses, he had met all kinds of people through the years and was used to having to wait on some, while others just blurted out things without thinking. Patience was something he had learned, though with Adrian he didn't mind it as much as he silently did with others, but on another level his curiosity did feel like it needed a faster answer from him than anyone else.

"While that sounds like a fun idea, I think I'll stay in my own country for tonight." He laughed. Leaving the country was something that he definitely wanted to do, just for a little while. But he knew they needed to get back and get some sleep before breakfast, or else all hell would break loose. Both the prince and the magician disappearing at the same time, that would get a ton of different theories on the internet.

As they got further away from the castle, the city became more crowded with apartment buildings. They would eventually be able to see trees in the distance, but for now it was a forest of buildings that covered their view. Some cars drove on the road, and very few people were still out in the dark.

"Have you ever been to another country before? Except for here and home of course." His feelings of ah an wonders did switch between Adrian's amazing powers and the city seen from the sky. Usually he only saw his own country from a computer screen, or very small parts of it as he toured the country to make a good impression on his people. Mainly those tours ended with him sleeping while in the car and not even having time to see anything in between traveling and greeting the upper class people. Now he really got to see it.

Adrian laughed as well, finding the thought of just taking Paris away and doing terrible things to him quite appealing, but he had more control than that. Though the tint of the bubble they were in was gradually leaning towards red rather than blue without him realizing. "I've been to a few other countries, all magic bearing ones on the opposite side of my country from yours. Since I was a strong mage and the younger son my parents decided early on that I would make a good diplomat to other countries. It generally isn't my favorite job." He glanced over at Paris and smiled. "Though sometimes I meet people that make it worthwhile."

Adrian was also somewhat fascinated with the view. It had been interesting to look at everything from the windows of the limo he arrived in but he got a totally different impression by flying over it. He couldn't give himself entirely into the view though, he had to keep at least some of his focus on not letting them fall from the sky.

And there the blush came back. His face seemed to get hot for anything that particular day. Maybe he was starting to get sick. "I wish my parents would have let me do something like that. Not because the job is that appealing, but at least the traveling would be worth it." He replied. He pretty much did the same job at home either way, except for the fact that the guests came to him instead of him being the guest.

"Sooo... Is there any reason for the colors of this... shield?" He had no idea what he should call the bubble, invincible shield, invincible bubble, shield, whatever. Either way, he had started to notice that it was slightly more red than before. Hadn't it started out as blue? There was a lot of things that he never noticed no matter how hard people tried to make him see it, but once he were interested in something, every little detail was in his view.

Status
Not open for further replies.