A Boy and His Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.
The soon as she answered, Zane found himself knowing he would eventually have a chance. She had a nightmare that scared her a lot, which meant she was vulnerable. And if he could find what made her vulnerable, he might be able to get away from her. Anyway, it would probably take a while. For the meantime, he would try to act as much as a partner as he could.

As they arrived to a place in the middle of the woods, Zane was quiet relaxed. Not only because he had some kind of vague plan, but also because that place was beautiful. And beautiful things usually bring nice feelings. Anyway, as she mentioned something about 'the others', he couldn't avoid to sigh. He didn't want to meet anyone as crazy as that girl, but he knew he couldn't refuse. "So what exactly are these others? Members of some kind of organisation of assassins?" asked, feeling the need to know what was he becoming part of.

Riko smirked and her eyes seemed to darken as he mention an organization of assassins. "Bingo." She said. Riko brought a metal whistle to her lips and blew. The only sound that came from the house disappeared. Riko removed the whistle and all of a sudden, males and female were running out of the house, weapons in hand.

"The 'others' are the rest of the group. As for the leader." She said and stepped aside. The crowd parted into two and a man walked through. He had black midnight hair and dark red eyes. He walked over to Zand and grabbed him by the collar. The man smirked. "It seems my star student has found herself a human partner." He said, his voice smooth like poison. He turned to Riko, throwing Zane to the ground. "Permission granted." He said with a nod before turning and walking back inside the house. As soon as he disappeared talk arose from the group.

Riko sighed and put a hand down to help Zane up. "Sorry about him. That's our leader, Ryo." She told him.

Everything happened so quickly. Since the moment the girl stated it was an organisation of assassins for real, Zane couldn't do anything else than staying petrified with a fast heartbeat. A strange scary man had lifted him up from his collar and then thrown him to the floor, and he just didn't do anything. Of course, there wasn't much to do when that man had a crowd behind him. At that moment, Zane realized he was involved in something serious. Something that would take more than a distraction to escape from.

Zane didn't even move until Riko offered him help. He didn't want to take her hand, or anything from her, not even an apology, but he did it anyway. After meeting the whole group she belonged to, he knew keeping her as a friend would be a smart thing to do. Anyway, you could still tell from his expression that he only wanted to runaway. And, as he recovered a little bit, he couldn't avoid a sarcastic comment. Apologizing after everything she had done was just too much. "Yeah, congrats, seems you got yourself a new pet, which your little boss allowed you to keep."

Riko helped Zane up to his feet as he grabbed her hand. She kindly introduced him to the rest of the gang, glaring down anyone that dared harm him. She had that power since she was young and Ryo took her in under his wing. She knew deep down that this peace was not to last. At some point Zane would try to run and Riko would stand by and watch as another one of her human partners were killed horribly.

Riko almost missed whay Zane said, but he should have wished she did. At his words rage fired in Riko's eyes. Her hands balled up into fists and she clenched her jaw. Everyone around them backed away in fear of Riko. Without warning Riko turned to Zane, her fist swinging. Her fistet his cheek and she sent him flying into Whisp. The black fox pinned Zane to the ground, snarling in his face. Riko walked over and kicked Zane twice in the ribs without mercy. Once she was finished she bent down, thevragevin her eyes slowly seeping away. "Watch what you say. I have killed many and don't think I won't have a problem killing you." She threatened, narrowing her eyes. Riko stood up and waved Whisp off of Zane before turning her back to him and walking toward the house, past the crowd.

Zane's big mouth usually got him into many troubles. But, no matter how smart his thoughts could be, he just couldn't avoid to keep doing it. At first, he enjoyed a little bit making her angry, as if it was some kind of pay back for what she was doing to him. Of course, he was expecting some kind of slap on his face from a girl her age, and he would take it gladly, so he didn't back up an inch from her. Anyway, even if he did see her fist travelling directly to his face, as a simple blacksmith apprentice he couldn't dodge it.

As soon as Zane landed to the floor, he put all his strengths on standing up and going after her, ignoring the pain completely. It was probably a good thing the fox avoided it. The moment her foot met his ribs all the pain suddenly overwhelmed him, with two yelps slipping his throat as she attacked him. The feeling of the air being forced to leave his body was as bad as the metallic taste of blood in his mouth. He stayed on the floor while she talked, and a bit more after it. Finally, right when he was back breathing normally, he sat up, still feeling the pain. Zane spit the blood on his mouth as he saw her walking away, with both of his arms around his ribs.

Riko did feel a little guilty but barely. She had hurt many and was to hurt many more. Her hands released their balled grip and rested beside her body. She stepped onto the porch and sighed heavily. Riko sat on the rocking chair and leaned back, slowly rocking back and forth in hopes of callming herself. She looked up at the sky and closed her eyes, her left fox eye flicking. The group stayed silent, looking from Riko Zane and back again over and over again.

The crowd looking at him didn't help to calm his nerves. It was weird to think about it when they were just a bunch of despicable assassins, but he felt a bit ashamed of being taken down like that, without even fighting back. And he even felt a big wish to go after her, even when he doubted he would even be able to stand up. No one had ever treated him like that before, and he was definitely not used to it. When he finally dismissed the idea of keep being kicked, he slid himself backwards, until he reached a tree. Zane only laid his back against it and stayed in the same position, with his arms on his ribs.

Whisp growled at the group and some ran back into the house in fear while some just followed them while walking. The fox turned to the boy and stared into his eyes as though she was looking into his soul. After a dew minutes Whisp walked over to him and laid by his side. Whisp's voice came to Riko's head telling her to come over. Riko looked over at the two and hesitated before she walked over to them. Riko stayed standing for a while before she sat beside Zane. "Sorry." She said softly.

Zane was a bit careful as the fox approached, but he didn't mind as she laid at his side. Of course, Whisp was helping that group of ruthless murderers, but it wasn't her fault being trained in a certain way. He knew that animals loved their owners no matter what they truly were. Anyway, as he saw Riko coming closer, things were different. Hearing her apologizing - once again - for something she had been completely guilty of, and she could have avoided easily, almost unleashed the same reaction as before. But he held it this time. Anyway, as he knew that if he opened his mouth it wouldn't come out something pretty, he just ignored her and stared at the fox. The animal was undoubtedly beautiful after all.

Whisp's red eyes went from the ground to Riko as she approached. The demon fox could feel the guilt and sadness coming off of her in waves. Whisp knew that Riko never actually wanted to hurt him she just, snapped easily. Whisp whimpered a little as Riko sat down beside them.

Riko turned to Whisp and smiled a small but sad smile. She petted her best friend before standing up and moving quite a ways away from them in a clearing off grass. Riko laid down and put an arm over her eyes, biting her lip to keep from crying. She never wanted to hurt him. She had always been this way, ever since the day she killed them. The ones who loved her most. Tears slid down Riko's cheeks but she quietly cried, not wanting to make Zane or Whisp worry.

Zane was a bit released that she didn't react as awfully as before if he ignored her. It was good to know that ignoring was safe. Anyway, he saw her out the corner of his eyes and got curious of what was she doing. She seemed... sad? After a moment, he decided to turn to her. She was indeed sad. Even crying. Once again, he felt angry for a moment. She didn't have the right to play the victim after what she was doing. But he did his best to calm down, speaking his mind - even with an inoffensive sarcastic comment - didn't go well the previous time. "What's wrong now?" he asked. Even if he tried to sound caring, he did show his annoyance in his voice. He hoped she wouldn't notice it, or mind about it.

"Why should you care? I hurt you remember? What happened to the silent treatment?" She asked him, growling only slightly. She turned onto her side, her back to him. She stared at the grass, waiting for his eyes to leave her. Why was he asking anyways? It's not like he actually cared. Riko clutched the grass, hoping the image of her bloody family would soon leave her head.​

"Maybe I hoped you had some feelings and felt bad or something similar. But I guess I was just too naive." answered her, almost immediately. Of course, he didn't think about it either. And he realized about it just a moment after letting the words go. If he kept like that, he knew he'd get himself killed. He kept his gaze on her, trying to see beforehand if she tried anything as what she did before. He was even ready to apologize if that's what the case, because his ribs weren't still in great conditions to run away.

(I am so sorry! I didn't get any notifications about this thread!)

Riko clenched her jaw then sat up and turned to him, her eyes red from crying and her cheeks wet. Tears still slid down her soft cheeks and landed in the grass silently. "Then leave me alone if you don't actually care! I don't need more fake people around me!" She yelled at him, anger rising in her chest. But, the fire that was in her eyes as she yelled at him disappeared and she turned her head away, pulling her knees to her chest and hugging them tightly. "I don't need more people pretending to actually care about me, like me, or even being friends with me. They all had a dark and selfish reason and when they got bored of me, they all left." She sighed.

Was she seriously asking why didn't he leave her alone? Was it some kind of bad joke? He'd most definitely leave her alone, if she'd let him. It took him a minute to think how to react to that. He didn't want to pretend to care about her. But, if he was just ruthless, he was sure she wouldn't take it too good. He just decided to... be sincere. She looked sincere herself, after all.

"Actually, Riko, I'm not around you because I want to. You kind of kidnapped me, remember?" finally said, but he kept a soft voice, not trying to make her feel worse or anything. "And I really think you can't kidnap someone to have people around. It would only bring more fake people. People who'd just be there for you to get themselves free." added, and wanted to go closer to her, but he clenched his teeth for the pain instead. "Those aren't exactly dark reasons, maybe only a little selfish, but they are understandable, right? But I won't act as if I cared about you, because I don't. I hate you for taking me away from my family, my work and my whole life. Not for kicking me, though, I can live with that. But, anyway, I'm here, and for the moment I won't go anywhere. So, if you want to talk about that, I can listen. You look as if you could use someone to listen." said and ended with a slight shrug.

Rio listened to him and his words. She knew that she shouldn't be telling him to leave after kidnapping him but she was sick of it. She was happy that he spoke the truth. It hurt, but it was true and not fake. Riko hesitated after what he said though. Talk to him? Would he actually listen to her?

Riko sighed inwardly then let her breath out steadily. She wiped her eyes and dried her cheeks before she turned to face him. "Let's talk later, OK?" She asked him, forcing herself to smile. Instead, Riko rested her head on his shoulders and stared at the ground. She didn't want to talk but she did need comforting and this was the only way she knew.

He nodded at her words. She had reacted pretty much as he expected, which was a good thing. Maybe he wasn't great reading people, but he was starting to get which things pissed her off and which didn't. That would certainly be useful for him.

Anyway, he didn't take long to realize there weren't many things he could foresee from her. The moment when he felt her head resting on his shoulder, his jaw literally dropped. It surprised him greatly. It didn't bother him, though, but he seriously didn't expect that. She acted as if they were friends or something like that. But he just told her he'd listen if she needed it... so maybe it wasn't only her. Just because it felt it would be right, he moved his arm to place it over her shoulders. What was more comforting than a hug? Anyway, at that moment, the image of his worried father and his angry mother appeared upon his thought, which made him stop and place the arm where it was before.

She knew it was strange to act the way she did. Criminal even. Or, so she thought. She had expected Zane to push her away or something similar, but he didn't. But, no matter how criminal, deep down Riko was glad he didn't push her away like she had down to so many others.

Riko glanced over at Zane and saw that his jaw was open. Was it really that surprising. Stupid question. She chuckled slightly and moved one of her hands and placed it under his chin. She pushed up and closed his mouth gently but forcefully. Riko put her hand in her lap and looked up at the sky. She felt Zane shift as he moved his arm and her eyes slightly widened. Was he going to put an arm over her? He put it back down. Figured. Riko mentally smakced herself for thinking such nonsense and shifted her gaze to the sky once more and watch the soft white clouds. "Tell me, what's it like living in the village?" She suddenly asked, slightly curious about his life style. Riko had never known. Ever since the day she spilled her kind blood and was taken in she had never been part of a village. Instead she lived in the beautiful forest, only going to the village for missions, shopping, and similar things.

Zane frowned seeing her hand approaching, but didn't pull away. After she closed his mouth, he smiled slightly. Anyway, his smile didn't stay in there for long. When she looked up, he automatically did as well, as if there was something to look up. He lost his sight in the sky until she spoke once again. "It's nice. There aren't many beautiful views, but you feel warmer than in here." told her, making a brief stop after it. "It's harder to find a peaceful place to be alone with your thoughts, without people running around or talking, but it's nicer when you don't want to be alone. There's always someone around if you need something. What about the woods?"

She was a little amazed that Zane wanted to know about the woods but smiled all the same. Her gaze shifted from the sky to his eyes and she suddenly felt captivated. "The...uh... Woods! Right." She said, temporarily forgetting. A light blush appeared on her cheeks but she seemed not to notice. "Well, they're not what they seem. Everyone in the village thinks their scary and dangerous. And they are, don't get me wrong. But... There's more to it. The woods are peaceful and beautiful at the same time. You can find yourself here and I feel... Free." She told him, letting her feelings fly free.

Status
Not open for further replies.