3. Intermediate
  4. Adept
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
19998.jpg

It was the dead, dark of night in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, the town was asleep apart from the few night owls that had to get up early to start their shops and other jobs. It wasn't a small town, but it wasn't a big city either. Some people, especially those who lived in the suburbs, said that it was just right, and didn't need to be any bigger or smaller.

Outside one house, though, something strange happened in the morning. Just passed four AM, a cat gave a loud screech and dashed away from the house, as it had seen and smelled something that simply didn't belong. A very small thing, the size of a puppy. In the bushes, whining and whimpering as it was alone, lost, tired and hungry...​

Reactions: Quiet One
The screech of a cat made Tyler bolt upright and groan. He loved his town, loved the neighborhood, and even got along with his landlord since there weren't many issues with his apartment besides the hot water shortage. But hey, when you share water with at least six other tenants, there wasn't a lot to go around. And just starting out he couldn't exactly afford a place with his own water heater.

But one thing that did bother him about the neighborhood were the stray cats. Mostly he didn't care; cats do what they want, and so long as they didn't bother him that was fine. But the shrieking, yowling they sometimes did when they fought each other kept him up. On those nights, the only way he could get respite was to shoo them away himself. He dug his fingers through his blackish hair and stepped into his slippers, tossing a bathrobe over his average frame. This had happened often enough that he kept a spray bottle of water by his door. But when he went outside...the fighting seemed to already be over. Tyler shrugged and put the bottle in his pocket. He was about to head in when he heard a whimper.

Craning his head, Tyler walked over to the bushes flanking his place and kneeled down. Inside the twisted branches and nettles he saw what looked like a puppy with dark fur. Well, that would explain what the cat was freaking out over.

"Hello there," he said softly, trying to go for a higher voice because he learned animals respond well to that. "Are you lost, little buddy?"

The beast had been just as scared of the cat as it must have been of it. It had been just about ready to simply lay down and sleep when he heard the creaking of the door opening, and had given out a soft, curious whimper. To his surprise, a even bigger thing had walked around and kneeled in front of the bushes that he was hiding in. With a soft chirp, the dragonwolf came out of the bushes to the thing, as curious as his kind was wont to be.

His fur, which covered his body and the long, fluffy flowing tail, was actually a russet red-brown, though it looked black due to a layer of soot that covered him. His eyes were the blue of the summer sky, and looked around and at Tyler with a kind of inexhaustible curiosity. Once coming out of the bushes, he stretched his baby-sized, feathered wings and cocked his head, looking at Tyler with a chirp.

• Love
Tyler was a little surprised when the pup came out. He thought he'd have to lure the poor little thing out into the open. It blinked its bright blue eyes and a single shake of its fur told him the pup was covered in soot. Well, that was weird. What was this little guy doing, playing in a fireplace? Then it stretched its wings and he jumped back. It had wings! What kind of dog had wings?! Actually, looking at it, it seemed more like a baby wolf - but with wings!

"What the hell?" he gasped. He knew right away there'd be no going back to sleep for him. Either he was fully awake and his heart was going a hundred beats a minute, or he was somehow still dreaming. Probably still dreaming. That made a lot more sense. But if he knew it was a dream, that meant it was a lucid dream. "Never had a lucid dream before. I'm told you can control those. Okay...turn into a naked Mila Kunis."

He even pointed to try and encourage it. But the pup just sat there, not turning into a certain famous, sexy actress with no clothes on. Tyler dropped his arm and scratched his head with the other. Maybe it wasn't a dream. This pup...thing was acting very life-like. Tyler crouched down and held his arms out for the little guy. "Come on. Let's get you cleaned up. I can set a spot aside for you to sleep for the night."

It occurred to him he was talking to this creature like a drunken friend who needed a place to crash while he sobered up. He didn't really have any experience with animals. And a dog/bird hybrid - that was definitely uncharted territory.

The dragonwolf looked at the human in confusion as he made muttering sounds, and then pointed at him. In confusion, the beast cocked it's head and yipped again, before standing up and spinning around after it's tail. Then it sat down again, and he was making more sounds and holding those arms out at him. With a cocked head he stepped back and made some muttering sounds that sounded like talking, because the dragonwolf was copying Tyler's sounds. But it didn't make any movement to jump into his arms, and instead shook himself once more, loosing more soot from his fur and then sitting on his haunches.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Not the response he was expecting. Instead of coming to him, the pup yipped, chased its tail for a minute, then sat back down. Of course, what Tyler was expecting seemed a tad optimistic. It murmured a few noises in parody of what he'd said, then gave itself a shake and sat down. He wondered if the pup was sitting because that's what he looked like he was doing.

He stood back up and scratched his head again. "Hm...hold on. I think I've got something." He walked away, making sure to get a good look back to make sure the winged wolf-pup was still sitting there, and went into his apartment. He went into his fridge and pulled out a half full package of pepperoni. "Dogs like meat...wolf puppy bird things like pepperoni, right?"

Tyler went back to his front door and set some pepperoni down. Then some more a little further down the steps. He slowly built a trail leading back to the pup, which was right where he left it. He took a slice and waved it in front of the pup's nose, letting him get a good smell of it. He then set it down to complete the trail in front of him, slowly walked back to the entrance of his place, and waited squatting with the last of the meat snack between his fingers.

The dragonwolf had watched as he walked along and then disappeared through the door. He was a curious thing, no doubt, but he was still lost, scared, and not sure exactly what was going on. So he stayed back and waited, until he saw the human once again coming around the corner from the door. He watched, and then sniffed the meat snack in front of him - his stomach growled, and he quickly ate it up when it was laid down, before following the trail and waving his fluffy tail all the way up the trail.

• Love
He waited at the end of the trail, unsure if it was going to work. Tyler was hopeful; he'd seen it in E.T. after all. Soon he was proven right, as the winged pup wandered up the stairs, munching on the pepperoni trail. He chuckled at the sight. "You know, for a little freak of nature, you're pretty cute. Come on. I've got a little bit more for you."

He waved the last of the pepperoni for the wolf pup, still kneeled over. As soon as he came up to him, he was prepared to pick him up. What he was going to do after that...he didn't know. Maybe clean the little pup off, then perhaps call Claire, his friend still in college. She was trying to get a degree in something...biology-like. Maybe she could identify whatever this was. Maybe some genetic experiment.

The dragonwolf had swallowed down every bit of food happily as he went up the stairs, until looking back up at the human who had the rest of the pepperoni in hand. With a happy yip the pup ate the rest of it, in perfect range to be picked up. Once he was grabbed, he would wiggle a little and then lay down contentedly, as if he felt that he was safe with the human. Which he probably was, dragonwolves are good with that sort of thing.

• Love
Tyler chuckled and picked the little pup up, watching as he wiggled happily in his arms. "You are seriously cute, you little freak."

He carried him inside the apartment, setting him down in his empty sink while he closed the door. Back in his kitchen, he turned on the water until it was nice and warm and pulled out the sink hose. When he first moved in he complained about a lack of pressure from this hose, but now it had the added benefit that it wouldn't hurt the pup. Tyler leaned over and began washing the soot off him. As he did, more and more of its red-brown fur showed. He carefully pulled his wings aside so he could get between them under the faucet. The wings were the true marvel; bigger than he first thought they were, but still clearly not powerful enough to get the pup off the ground. Maybe they'd grow when he got bigger. The tail was very long, and he wondered if it acted as a rudder. He paused and began separating his fur when he felt two little bumps on top of its head. Were those...horns?

"How did you get so dirty?" he asked with a kind smirk as he finished washing him off. When the last of the black water finally circled the drain Tyler retrieved a towel from his closet and proceeded to try and dry him off.

The dragonwolf had given a yip at Tyler's words, and stayed snuggled up to the other as he was carried to the sink. Nary a whimper escaped him when he was set into the sink, though his eyes never left Tyer as he was cleaned. His wings spread open when they were moved, letting Tyler see the gentle sheen of the feathers that made it up. Once the water was finished, the pup shook himself dry and then lept out of the sink once Tyler left. The wings opened again and worked enough to let him glide, before he landed and started to explore the place that he had been brought into.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Tyler's arms went slack as the little pup shook himself dry. Oh right. Dogs shook themselves dry. Well, the towel wasn't going to go to waste as he now had to dry off the floor and the back wall of his sink from the creature's shaking and wet paw prints. He was impressed by his gliding, now more sure than ever this thing would fly once big enough. He gave the floor and wall a quick wipe then crouched down and started rubbing the towel over the pup to finish drying him off.

He noticed the little guy looking around curiously and smiled. His place wasn't much. He had a few art supplies by his small TV, a couch and recliner passed down from his grandparents, and a coffee table nearby with a computer on top. Some of his personal art projects lined the wall. "It's not much, I know, but it's better than outside, isn't it? You have a look around. I'm going to get a little bed together for you." He got up, wadding the towel as he went into his linen closet for some sheets.

The dragonwolf gave out a yip at Tyler when the human spoke to him, and then took the time that he was at the closet to explore the small apartment. His nose went on overdrive as he sniffed around, memorizing Tyler's scent and finding other interesting smells in the place. He went under the coffee table and couch, on top of the couch, and even trilled curiously at the TV (which turned it on for only a moment) before he finally went to attempt to find Tyler once more.

• Love
Tyler remained oblivious to the little pup's antics - so long as he didn't break anything or poop on the carpet, he didn't really care what the fluffy wolf-thing did. Besides, he was cute and curious. Tyler could think of far worse things for an unidentified animal to be. From the top of his kitchen counter he pulled out a picnic basket he had taken from his mom when he moved out. It was with the plan of a picnic date at the park in mind, but that hadn't happened. He coughed wiping the dust off it.

He stuffed the blanket from his closet into the basket and was about to turn around when he felt the pup's presence behind him. He turned slowly to see him seated right in front of him. If he'd turned around he would've stepped on the little guy.

"You need to watch where you are underfoot, buddy," he said and scooped down to pick him up. He set him in the blanketed wicker and hoisted the whole affair up. Oof! A little heavier than he thought. He smiled at the canine...or avian. Avian-canine? "Comfy?"

He set the basketed pup down beside him and grabbed his phone. Claire was going to be pissed being woken up at this hour, but he didn't know who else to call.

Urgh...Tyler? Do you have any idea what time it is? I've got class tomorrow," came the groggy reply of his friend.

"Yeah, I know. I'm sorry. I just found something really weird and you're the only person I could think of to maybe help me out." He looked down at the pup.

"Poisonous spiders aren't native to Colorado. Just kill it and go to sleep," she replied. Tyler blushed on the couch. He'd kind of earned that.

"No, I found a puppy outside. Looks like a wolf-pup of some kind."

Claire sounded a little more awake now. "A wolf? Wolves aren't that common at this elevation..." There was a pause, then, "Wait. 'Looks like'...Tyler, you didn't bring the thing in your apartment, did you?"

"Well, yeah. It - " He was cut off by a loud groan and before he got the wild animals lecture he quickly cut in, "it has wings."

"Wings? What do you mean wings?"

"I mean, fluffy bird wings on its back. Here. I'll show you..." He switched over to camera mode and pointed it at the pup. He reached out and gently tugged at the tip of one of his wings. "Help me out here, little buddy."

The dragonwolf had made a cooing purr-like sound when he was picked up and then put into the basket. This time it was a curious trill, and he ducked under the arms and looked about it excitedly. Eventually, when he was put down on the couch he curled up and looked at Tyler as he spoke on the phone - which prompted jaw movements and 'nyam' sounds as he mimicked the other talking on the phone.

Until, that is, Tyler grabbed at his wings. They had been folded back, and so they had to come out all the way. Which the pup did while sitting up, cocking his head, and raising a paw just slightly for an adorable and telling picture, as if knowing what Tyler wanted.

"Yeah like that," he chuckled and took the picture. He looked at the pup's likeness on his phone and started to send it. "You're quite photogenic, you know that?"

He reached over and gave the pup a light scratch behind the ears as he waited for Claire to see the picture. She almost immediately blew his ear off. "Oh my god! What is that? Please tell me you're not pranking me! It...it has wings!"

"Yeah. I told you that. And you know I suck at pranks," he replied, smirking to himself, then down at the pup. "I think I can call out tomorrow if you want to see him for yourself. I'm curious just what he is."

"He? You know it's a he?"

"Well...no..." Tyler blushed. "I'm not exactly going to go peeking at a baby...wolf/bird thing's junk. You were a vet's assistant for a summer job, right? You can do it."

Claire sighed on the other end and he could almost hear her rearranging her schedule in her head. "Alright. I'll be over in a few hours. It should be safe in that little bed you made for him. He...looks really cute."

"See you in a bit. Bye." He looked down at the pup. "Look at you. Little ladies' man, got women coming over just from a picture."

The dragonwolf put his paw down and leaned his head up against Tyler's hand that was scratching his head, letting out a soft 'murr' as a sound of pleasure. Though he too heard Claire's outburst and blinked in surprise, staring at the loud device at Tyler's ear. He stared at it for as long as Tyler spoke, before watching as it was put down.

When Tyler looked down at him and spoke, he yipped happily and crawled out of the bed, onto Tyler's lap. "Mrrn.. Nrm nym.. murr.." it made noises as if to respond to Tyler, slowly curling up on the other's lap.

Last edited:
  • Love
He chuckled as the pup crawled onto his lap and got himself comfortable. He'd wanted him safely in the basket, but he couldn't deny that little face! He immediately started petting him, his hand rubbing along his back between those two feathery wings. "I've never heard a dog make those sounds before. Nym? That's a cute sound. How about I call you Nym? Would you like that?"

The dragonwolf had rather happily curled up in Tyler's lay, its flowing tail waving in contentment. At the hand going down his back he murred again and waved his wings, there being a small draft from the downforce but nothing major. Though at the question he looked up and then, surprisingly, nodded. "Nym!" it made the same sound in agreement, as if he knew what Tyler was saying. Then it laid its head back down, and curled up once more.

• Love
As the pup nodded and yipped back its name, Tyler raised an eyebrow. "Huh. It's kind of like you understood me there..." He scratched the pup's ears again and smiled. "Okay...Nym it is."

He turned on his TV in search of something to pass the time, all the while keeping his hand near Nym to pet him occasionally. Of course, there wasn't crap on at four in the morning, but he didn't mind channel surfing with his new little buddy by his side. Ten minutes through he got up for some water, pouring some in a little bowl he used for snacks and giving it to Nym. He put it in the basket so he wouldn't mind if he spilled any.

It took twenty minutes for Claire to knock on the door. "Well, that's her." He opened up and she stood there with her light brown hair done up in a quick ponytail and a simple blouse/jean ensemble on. She'd clearly rushed to get here, but also clearly made sure she was "presentable." She also brought a case he'd seen before: the one she kept her personal lab equipment in. He shook his head. "You know this isn't a formal study or anything, right?"

"If your new friend is a new species, then it'll become one very quickly," she replied. She looked past him at the basket on the couch. "Is that where you're keeping it?"

He looked back. "Yeah, well...little guy, little bed..."

Claire went over, eager to get a look at him. "Hey, little guy," she cooed. Her hand carefully went to his wing. She felt it, traveling her fingers down it until she got to the base. "Okay. Those are definitely real." She reached for her case. "I need a DNA sample."

"Whoa, whoa!" he said, quickly taken aback. "You're not going to stick him with needles, are you?"

"Don't be silly. I just need to swab its cheek. It hasn't eaten or drank anything, has it?"

Tyler blushed. "I gave him some water and pepperoni."

Claire rolled her eyes. "I swear, it's like you're trolling me now. Fine. My next bet is a hair sample. I might be able to get some DNA from that. And I'd like to compare it to a feather, too." She grabbed a small tuft of hair from Nym's side. "I'm really sorry about this, little guy." And she plucked it out.