1x1 Combat Roleplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or Smaug the Dragon, or the Balrog of Morgoth, or Medusa, or even Godzilla if he picks a smaller incarnation. It's why I asked.

Also, feel free to chime in on the Arena conversation if you want, ASTA (or anyone else who wants to participate).

heeeeeeey :3

I strongly support both the idea of including factions and ranking powers separately - though the latter should also take the characters's battle style in mind. IMHO, a fire spell would be far more dangerous on a character with a canister of gasoline than on one with a sword instead. How well a character's abilities combine and support them in combat also defines their efficency.

Oh wow I hope not. I mean, could you imagine fighting the Nemean lion? Christ.
Or Fenrir the world eating wolf.

Tier system looks good, but unless there's a lot of people going to be participating I think a unified single tier at low end superhuman level (Where things are easy to conceptualize and imagine) would be best.

Look people, you have to cut me some slack here. Nothing with a name since all of those things have come from popular movies or books and they are ideas that were put into practice then seceded.

heeeeeeey :3

I strongly support both the idea of including factions and ranking powers separately - though the latter should also take the characters's battle style in mind. IMHO, a fire spell would be far more dangerous on a character with a canister of gasoline than on one with a sword instead. How well a character's abilities combine and support them in combat also defines their efficency.
That's why I came up with the seven tier system listed above. It accounts for a character's total effectiveness, rather than the effectiveness of each of their abilities individually. Perhaps combining that system with a marvel-esque power rating system would be the best route to take.

Or Fenrir the world eating wolf.

Tier system looks good, but unless there's a lot of people going to be participating I think a unified single tier at low end superhuman level (Where things are easy to conceptualize and imagine) would be best.
The hope is that there WOULD be a lot of people participating, but expectation is often different from reality. That said, I don't want people to feel like they're going to be boxed in to certain characters. I myself would like to have fights both at the low end superhuman level and the world-dominating superhuman level, and several places in-between.

Look people, you have to cut me some slack here. Nothing with a name since all of those things have come from popular movies or books and they are ideas that were put into practice then seceded.
If he can't turn into creatures from popular lore anymore, what can he turn into? It's impossible to gauge how powerful he is unless we know how powerful he can become.

He can turn into creatures of popular lore but if they are from movies or books he can't.

So what does that leave exactly?

And here's a rough workup of the individual power tier system I mentioned.

Intelligence: Your ability to think and process information.
Tier 0. Slow/Impaired
Tier 1. Normal
Tier 2. Learned
Tier 3. Gifted
Tier 4. Genius
Tier 5. Polymath
Tier 6. Super-Genius
Tier 7. Omniscient

Strength: Your Ability to lift weight.
Tier 0. Weak: cannot lift own body weight
Tier 1. Normal: able to lift own body weight
Tier 2. Peak human: able to lift three times own body weight
Tier 3. Superhuman: 800 lbs-25 ton range
Tier 4. Superhuman: 25-75 ton range
Tier 5. Superhuman: 75-250 ton range
Tier 6. Superhuman: 250-500 ton range
Tier 7. Superhuman: More than 500 tons.

Speed: Your ability to move over land by running or flight.
Tier 0. Below normal
Tier 1. Normal
Tier 2. Peak Human: Up to 65 kph/40 mph
Tier 3. Superhuman: Up to 320 kph/200 mph
Tier 4. Superhuman: Up to 650 kph/400 mph
Tier 5. Supersonic: Up to 1300 kph/800 mph
Tier 6. Supersonic: Up to 2600 kph/1600 mph
Tier 7. Supersonic: Up to 5200 kph/3200 mph

Durability: Your ability to resist or recover from bodily injury.
Tier 0. Weak
Tier 1. Normal
Tier 2. Enhanced
Tier 3. Regenerative
Tier 4. Bulletproof
Tier 5. Superhuman
Tier 6. Virtually indestructible
Tier 7. Immortal

Energy Projection: Your ability to discharge energy.
Tier 0. None
Tier 1. Ability to discharge/control energy on contact
Tier 2. Short range, short duration, single energy type
Tier 3. Medium range, duration, single energy type
Tier 4. Long range, long duration, single energy type
Tier 5. Able to discharge/control multiple forms of energy, short range
Tier 6. Able to discharge/control multiple forms of energy, long range
Tier 7. Virtually unlimited command of multiple forms of energy

Fighting Ability: Your proficiency in hand-to-hand combat.
Tier 0. Poor
Tier 1. Normal
Tier 2. Some training
Tier 3. Experienced fighter
Tier 4. Master of a single form of combat
Tier 5. Master of several forms of combat
Tier 6. Master of most forms of combat
Tier 7. Creator of an all-encompassing form of combat

Synergy: How well your powers work together.
Tier 0. Little to no combat application at all.
Tier 1. You can defeat a single skilled human opponent.
Tier 2. You're capable of defeating a dozen human opponents of varying skill
Tier 3. You Can defeat a hundred human opponents.
Tier 4. You're able to destroy a single fully-staffed military base.
Tier 5. Whole armies crumble before your might.
Tier 6. Entire nations cannot stand against you and hope to win.
Tier 7. Your power is enough to defeat an entire world.

Hrm. It isn't clear enough to me how exactly this system is going to evaluate and rank character's power, so i'll just throw in what i had in mind and see if it matches with your ideas.

All charcters have individual powers and pieces of equipment that they use in combat, don't they? Regeneration, fire control, sonic blasts, wings, swords, armor and ect.. My idea was to rank all the seperate abilities of a character, the sum of all their ranks being the characters tier.

Example: Dave has four powers and a single piece of equipment. 2 powers score rank 7 out of 10, another 2 - 4/10 - and the equipment scores 10/10. Sum that up and we get a tier 32 character, who can find a fair match in the 27-37 tier range. A seperate multiplier may also be added to modify these numbers according to these abilities' combined output: for example, Dave scores 8/10 in this category, and according to this result, his tier number is adjusted to 80% of its initial value - 25.6, 26 rounded.

That's more or less what I had in mind. You'd take each tier rating your character has and add them all together to get the total tier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright. Though i myself still lean more towards ranking a charcter by each and every of his powers than just a select few categories. Such categories as durability or intellegence are constituted of several smaller elements: damage resistance+regeneration+pain tolerance, reaction speed+knowledge+mindset and ect.. Ranking each of those elements as seperatly highlited abilities may yield more precise results, IMHO.

It would definitely be more precise, yes, but the amount of work required to consistently and fairly judge every possible category would be staggering.

Besides, these ratings would simply be to help find a decent match-up in the power level of your choice.

I actually feel kind of the same way. If I was corrected for placing this thread here in the general interest checks section, I can only imagine what might transpire if I were to start a group RP in the one on one section.
Since then I have been humbly watching as my interest rises.

Well Schradinger, it looks like you have a nucleus to develop an arena role-play around. Just develop the setting and parameters for the fighters and you should be able to get it off the ground.

So to be clear, we're aiming for something in the lines of a (mostly) combat-driven continuum/universe/multiverse/whatevertypeofverse?

It would seem that there is some element of multiversal continuum. But yes it is a persistent combat based role-play.

*Deep breath*
Dragons, giant spiders, gargoyles, griffons, sirens, real animals, cockatrices, cyclopses exc exc
Do you catch my drift? If no I'm just going to make a less confusing character.

Crono,

The concept is not confusing. My question is how long does a transformation take? For instance we are fighting, you stance, I stance. You change to a dragon, I manage to avoid your claws and take minimal damage from your fire. After two rounds you decide to change to a Cyclops, how long does that metamorphosis take to do?

Otherwise for me, the character is not overly complex, the question is just the time to change and the time required between changes.

Since then I have been humbly watching as my interest rises.

Well that's certainly good to hear. :) Feel free to contribute your own thoughts and ideas.

So to be clear, we're aiming for something in the lines of a (mostly) combat-driven continuum/universe/multiverse/whatevertypeofverse?
Pretty much what Skallagrim said.

*Deep breath*
Dragons, giant spiders, gargoyles, griffons, sirens, real animals, cockatrices, cyclopses exc exc
Do you catch my drift? If no I'm just going to make a less confusing character.
So you just meant no named characters in literature or motion pictures, but the creatures themselves are fair game. Skallagrim has a point regarding the time it takes to shift forms, but there's also the sheer number of powerful forms he can change into. As it stands now, the character would probably be at least tier 6 in almost every category simply because of the massive potential his shifting gives him. It also doesn't help that there is no concrete version of any mythological creature. There's over a dozen kinds of dragons in various lore worldwide (it honestly wouldn't surprise me if there was over a hundred), and most of the other creatures from mythology, literature, and television (excepting those that only appear in a single story) are the same way. The issue only becomes more pronounced if he also gains any magical/spiritual/energy powers the creatures in question possesses in whichever lore he's pulling from.

In all honesty, it probably would be better to go with a character what isn't so... extensive. Power-wise at least.

Another issue is logistics. Having more than one fight going in a single thread would be very confusing and cluttered, so how would we divide them up to make them easy to follow and understand? Should we have a main RP thread for the city where general interaction and group combat can take place, then create individual one on one threads for the serious fights? If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

Alternatively, does anyone who's been here more than three days know what is required (if anything) to start a universe RP? It seems like that forum may work best, as we could then have all the arena threads contained in one spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.