1x1 Combat Roleplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's still improving, but a couple things that could bear explaining are his immortality and his claws. If he has claws in his natural form, they can be a very effective weapon if used correctly and should really be mentioned in their own section (perhaps one titled "natural weaponry"), though giving proper definition to the physical characteristics of a shapeshifter is... tricky. Regarding his immortality, how does it work? How was he able to survive for twenty-six and a half billion years without eating anything?

I feel I should also ask if normal physics apply to him or if he's only affected by cartoon physics.

For some reason I felt like his story was not wanted, sorry. Please define cartoon physics.

It's not that it isn't wanted, just that it isn't necessary. The part that is necessary is how his immortality works. If he can survive without food for twenty six and a half billion years, what else would that power allow him to survive? That's an extremely potent ability to not even mention...

Cartoon physics are the physics commonly applied in cartoons, where a character can be run over by a car and flattened like a pancake then just pop back up into their normal shape, or they can hold a block of TNT as it detonates and escape with no more than a blackened face and tattered clothes.

The kind of fights I'm looking for use realistic physics to dictate the results of unrealistic powers and abilities when they are applied in combat. Generally, that type of setting doesn't work well with anime or cartoon characters (though more for cartoon characters).

Yes realistic physics apply to him, though he often acts like a cartoon character purely out of spite.

Hello Asta and Schradinger,

An arena RP, sounds like fun. The potential is promising but a solitary city tends to limit things. It has been my experience that having multiple…worlds/planes etc allow a multitude of characters to be built and the flow from a multiversal perspective tends to be more organic.

It allows a wider base of good/evil dynamics that allow a person to define their character in the manner they see fit. It also opens up the role-play potential by allowing 'atrocities' be exacted on npc worlds where character interaction provides a basis for development.

Using the Eden Era T1 system and tiers would provide anyone from another site who happens to join that is familiar with T1/tiers to craft a character and get involved. It provides a basis for character limits and an established 'written' combat system that has been around for 15 years in one form or another.

Just some thoughts

Skall

Heh. I like the nice little paradox you've created with his history. Very clever...

What kind of things can he shift into exactly? The latter part of the history seems to indicate that he can change into any creature that was imagined and never given form, which seems to mean that instead of animals we're all used to, he'll be changing into pretty much whatever you imagine to be most useful at the time, with any and all of the abilities/benefits you desire.

Hello Asta and Schradinger,

An arena RP, sounds like fun. The potential is promising but a solitary city tends to limit things. It has been my experience that having multiple…worlds/planes etc allow a multitude of characters to be built and the flow from a multiversal perspective tends to be more organic.

It allows a wider base of good/evil dynamics that allow a person to define their character in the manner they see fit. It also opens up the role-play potential by allowing 'atrocities' be exacted on npc worlds where character interaction provides a basis for development.

Using the Eden Era T1 system and tiers would provide anyone from another site who happens to join that is familiar with T1/tiers to craft a character and get involved. It provides a basis for character limits and an established 'written' combat system that has been around for 15 years in one form or another.

Just some thoughts

Skall
My own thoughts on the use of an infinite multiverse as a setting are somewhat divided. On the one hand, it does do everything you say and allow a vast range of characters to fit well together, but on the other it also tends to make it easier for the whole RP to lose cohesion. If all the characters are spread across multiple worlds, then they have to find ways to traverse those worlds in order to interact. If the primary location is a single city and its surrounding countryside, however, the issue of inter-dimensional transport can be relegated to backstory and used as nothing more than a plot device, since all the characters would then be interacting within the same world.

In all honesty, the city itself would mostly be a hub. The primary location for interaction, but not the only one. That's where the characters go to fight for their rewards or try and depose a tyrant or whatever their motive may be, but if an adventure can be had in another world then by all means, go have one.

I've also been contemplating the idea of pre-established factions within the city, one side fighting for the entity controlling it (evil), and the other fighting against them to restore the city to its people (good). So essentially, this city would still exist within a multiverse, and other worlds could be used if they serve a purpose for your character, their story, or the overarching plot, but the primary location would be the city itself.

Oh, and I'm unfamiliar with the Eden Era T1 system and its tiers. I'll have to do some research on that before commenting further.

Last edited by a moderator:
T1 is pretty much the defacto written combat system. It has been around since the yahoo chat room days and has been codified and in some cases modified for certain sites for their combat based role-plays. It along with T2 are the most recognized written combat systems.

Tiers are a crutch but one that allows writers not familiar/comfortable with text based combat a system that allows them to 'grow' a character so they learn how to use powers.

T1 usually falls into three categories: Realistic, Moderate powers and Powered. If your character falls into one of those categories you fight other characters of equal powers. Limits are usually placed on the characters by agreement between the fighters or the GM of the role-play.

But when used in conjunction with a tier system, the T1 combat system is used to register hits and damage during the fight.

Is this the system you mean?

T1 Combat System

If it is, then it's pretty much how I've been fighting all along. As for the tiers, I do normally prefer there to be some modicum of similarity in power levels between those in the same tier, but I suppose if each characters abilities are well-defined ahead of time and no one will be forced to fight a character they don't want to fight, it doesn't really matter in the end. Though I would likely put a cap on how powerful PC's can be in order to prevent endless up-scaling.

It's your role-play you can limit or not limit as you choose. The more limiting a combat based role-play the smaller the player base. Usually the more experienced combat role-players will look it over then move on. The newer players wanting to learn the ins and outs of text combat will join to learn.

I'm open to suggestions, and like you said back on RPG, I can't very well run a multiverse RP on my own (even if most of it does take place in one world).

You have a lot more experience running this kind of thing than I do, so I think we'd be more successful combining our visions of what it should be than just going off of my ideas alone. Incorporate both the city and the multiverse, use the combat system the vets would be familiar with, and allow a greater range of free-form abilities than the previous (and current) arenas I've been a part of, without simply removing all the limits and letting things run wild. At least that's what I've got so far.

Oh, you never let things run wild. If you provide a clearly defined 'limit' for powers that you use as a base for all powerful characters, you will allow creativity in character creation/power development and give them a bar that is the 'absolute' for this role-play. It allows the player freedom to explore concepts but gives you a terminus limit to their power.

Since this isn't a tournament setting you can easily 'create' places where moderately powered and power characters can engage in combat without engaging each other but have their actions 'effect' the greater role-play as a whole. The idea with a multiversal setting is it allows the characters to roam and engage each other, take over worlds, cities etc and gives them something to fight for. This is probably where the biggest problem comes into play:

Technology vs. magic vs. psionics can be a bit tricky to juggle, not to mention tech vs tech, magic system vs magic system and psionics. It presents a headache which is why tiers are used to help ease 'newer' combatants into the arena style role-play.

How would you go about setting that bar? Would you create a character that embodies that limit in order to demonstrate what level is acceptable? Something like General Freedom was for the intermediate tier of your last arena?

Yes. It allows you a basis to judge everything else against. It also gives the players a general idea where the upper limits are.

I guess that means the next tricky part is figuring out where the balance is between strength, speed, intelligence, and energy manipulation.

Yes, that is always the fun part. Trying to find a balance can be vexing, but it is worth it because it sets a bar for you and the entire role-play.

I usually determine what sort of character that I aim to create beforehand and then think of the physical capabilities for the character afterwards. Though I might also throw in 'logical inferences' as well.

For example, if I'm writing up a gun slinger that's wearing powered armor, said character is going to be a lightning bruiser with a deadly talent for marksmanship, but he or she isn't going to be a professional swordsmen. This doesn't default hand-to-hand combat experience however, so parrying with a rifle or driving the butt of the weapon directly into the face of the opposition are two viable tactics. Support abilities would complement the character's use of ranged weaponry.

At the moment, I'm thinking of using a system similar to that used by Marvel to rate their characters on the wiki. Just so people can get a general idea where their characters stand in relation to the others.

Would you think a system like that could work? Using different ratings for each aspect of the character, then maybe adding the total together to determine their overall tier rating?

What kind of group combat where you thinking? The continuation of Fight for the Gods, an Arena multiverse RP, or perhaps an original RP? I do have the beginnings of an idea for such an RP, though it will need a fair amount of fleshing out before it can be implemented.
If you ask me, I'd be itching for something in the framework of a tournament over in the combat RP area.

I almost feel limited in the combat RP area; it being under one-on-ones causes me to question if people could get away with battle royals and team-on-team battles there.

Ah... No not exactly. You see he is limited to fictional creatures that are popularly known, as it takes more then one forgotten idea to allow him to shift into the creature in question. For example he can't turn into Gunter the Mega Dragon because only one child thought of that, but he can turn into a fire breathing dragon because that's what everyone knows a dragon to be.

If you ask me, I'd be itching for something in the framework of a tournament over in the combat RP area.

I almost feel limited in the combat RP area; it being under one-on-ones causes me to question if people could get away with battle royals and team-on-team battles there.
I actually feel kind of the same way. If I was corrected for placing this thread here in the general interest checks section, I can only imagine what might transpire if I were to start a group RP in the one on one section.

That said, I've spent the past minutes contemplating a more simplified tier system than my last proposal and came up with this:

Tier 0. Little to no combat ability at all. You might as well go home and save yourself the pain.

Tier 1. You can defeat a single skilled human opponent. Congrats!

Tier 2. You're capable of defeating a dozen human opponents of varying skill. Moving up in the world!

Tier 3. You Can defeat a hundred human opponents. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Tier 4. You're able to destroy a single fully-staffed military base. Pretty impressive.

Tier 5. Whole armies crumble before your might. Not much farther to go now.

Tier 6. Entire nations cannot stand against you and hope to win. You're pretty much top dog.

Tier 7. Your power is enough to defeat an entire world. Now you're actually top dog.

Thoughts? It's freeform, yet still gives a fairly clear idea of what each tier's abilities should be capable of. It also allows enough power to pull off Skallagrim's world domination example (if we decide to let characters go that high).

Regarding Bafu, you're saying that he can turn into any creature from popular mythology?

Status
Not open for further replies.