Zone Intelligence & Defense Organization: Invasion

He looked up at the holographics and spoke with his heavy russian accent " These fuckers get uglier every day " he said chuckling and stood up from his seat moving some of his hair out of the way, he walked towards the holographs and began examining them slowly " Shotguns wouldn't be bad right here " he pointed at the knees of the biggest one " but it would have to be like the shotgun on the arm of my armor " he shook his head continuing to examine them.

"These creatures have ripped apart tanks. Your enthusiasm is encouraging, but your enthusiasm for shotguns is a very bad idea. I've watched hundreds with the same shotgun-loving interest as you go out into the field, and return in a small wood box." I look at all the recruits, saying, "If you were to fight the weakest one, you may come out with a major injury, if you were lucky. Over a dozen planets have been attacked, and each one has fallen within about 2 days. The next planet we think they will be targetting is where we are setting up. But you guys need a bit of training about what to do out there."

"I'm all ears." Lysel says, cupping her hands to her ears. "Please tell me we have new toys; I love me some experimental equipment as I do shotguns."

I eye her warily. If anything scares me more than enthusiasm, it's a mass alien invasion. "We have many experimental weaponry, some of it still untested in the field. I'll be setting you up with the newest assault rifle. The designers have nicknamed it 'Shredder.' Longer range, high rate of fire, low power per shot but high power per burst. The small rounds ricochet, so your armor will have to be outfitted to keep your own rounds from hitting yourself. Unfortunately, you have modified armor, and not Zigh-doe issued armor, so most of the tech toys that we have aren't compatible."

Brow twitching as Seras sighs silently to herself, ~That really isn't healthy for her..~ She shakes her head as she looks on to the briefing. Her eyes focusing on the smaller of the three holograms, she leans forward and places her elbows against her legs, hands together as she places them against her chin, "I never liked those most of the three.. If there are any experimental tech suited for my role, I'm interested. And those cybernetics on the other.. That raises a fair few questions on my part, but doubting it'd be effective."

Lysel leans back into her seat, frowning crossing her arms. "Well, crap." She shrugs. "Ah well: new equipment!" She smiles once more, leaning onto the desk once more.

Who knows? Maybe she was going to be key to making a short-medium range form of the Shredder, a shotgun that used higher velocity, larger sized flechettes. Or maybe chemical rounds, or some other technological advancement from the boys in the lab. That was the beauty of science and engineering; they never took "No" for an answer.

I frown at the shotgunner. "Close range weaponry and combat is a very bad idea. The only time someone has survived within 20 feet of an alien was because it was either dead, or was in the process of killing itself before being captured. They react very fast, and would probably be able to dodge your shotgun. We are trying to kill them before we have to get into battle with our tools. Xeno, bring up HMIU One, 'Shredder' Light Assault Rifle, and HMIU Heavy Assault Weapons."

In place of the 3 holograms, 3 different ones appear. These were human, instead of alien. The right hologram had turned into a real-scale assault rifle, with a long barrel, a short stock, a laser-pointer, flashlight, and grenade-launcher underhang. The magizine was a drum mag, and overall, was sleek and deadly.

The left hologram was that of a HMIU: Heavy Mechanized Infantry Unit. The diagram labelled the height to about 12 feet tall, while it had been scaled down to be human-sized. Again, it was very sleek, and was made to move quickly and protect the user very well. There was a chaingun attached to both arms, in place of the hands, with claw-like pieces sticking out of the end of the barrel, presumably to assist the wearer in smashing something, or to keep the user from falling down without damaging the weapon.

The middle hologram was of a very, very big knife for the HMIU, a very large rifle that looked semi-automatic, and is labelled as such, and has something that will get someone a high reaction: a large, short, bulky weapon with a long barrel, and a small clip. A really big oversized shotgun. Labelled with an the effective range to be 50 meters.

"We all go in in HMIU. I'll give you detailed lessons later. Questions?"

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Lysel literally starts crying tears of joy. "It's beautiful."

I nod at Lysel, somewhat disturbed. Shotguns run deep... maybe I should try to work her to be a shotgunner. She may very well save all of our lives one day.

I turn to Seras. "We tried EMP-like weapons on the Cybernetic, but they seem to be made of an alloy that blocks the energy from an EMP. Only a powerful EMP, one of which would come from a power explosive, could get through, but the explosive would probably kill the alien in the first place. And you do have class-specific equipment."

"Good.. But one thing I'm curious about, is their connection to their cybernetics. I know the notion would all be suicidal but what if there was a way to lock them up or slow them if not shut them down completely.. Just a thought, although I do know it sounds like a shot in the dark.." Adjusting her gloves as she tugs down on them one at a time, she looks over to the holograms, "I also don't intend on getting too close anyways."

"Have we tried chemical disruption? A missile loaded up with highly volatile chemicals like acids could gum up the works; we could make smaller versions for the rifles via hollow points and an injection system. And assuming they still need those eyes to see, a giant close-range smoke-screen via napalm would fuck them up pretty badly."

He leaned on the wall and said " Chemical warfare? with a alien race sounds like a bad idea"

I shake my head, and say, "Manny is right. Chemical warfare has been tried, and failed with zero effect. They have very different immune systems, systems in general are different. For all we know, we could be injecting them with something that is steroids to them, but poison to us."

I cross my arms, saying simply, "We have to go in and shoot them. We can only flush them out with artillery, chemical and biological weapons are useless, as well as anti-electronic weaponry. Until we have our next meeting, I hope you stay out of trouble. In a moment, I'll give you a short, small tour of the areas that you should know well by the end of your first theatre. If any of you are going to drop out, now is your chance."

A shiver had run down Cade's spine as the holograms first came up and the moment the CO offered an out, he knew he had to take it. He'd seen combat in some of the worst locales the galaxy had to offer, marched through cold sleet and blasted deserts and seen more than a few fellow soldiers go down. He'd killed time and again and he knew no matter what happened here today, he would kill more. He had seen things that would chill the blood of most civilians. But through all this, he had never been able to shake his fear of bugs. It took all his self-control not to bolt just looking at a hologram.

He raised his hand ever so slightly to call attention to himself. "Uh, sir. I… I think I may be in over my head here, sir." He was ashamed, and that was easy to read on his face. He could barely look the man in the eye, much less speak with confidence. "I… I would still like to be of use to ZIDO, sir, and with my explosives expertise and college education, I feel I could be a great asset to R&D. If that's… permissible." Slowly, he stood and looked across the table at his CO. "Active duty is not for me in this instance."

Manny inspected the man who wished to back down " do not sound so weak when resigning as it is not a coward act but a smart one at that, throwing your life to combat may be amazing to others but to most..its unbelievable.....i wish i could of seen you in the field " manny felt like something should of been said to man make the man feel good. Manny stood up straight next to the CO and looked at him " may i be exscused for a smoke break? "

I nod permission for the Russian [As I know call him] to take a smoke break. Then I address Cade's request.

"The Russian is right. You're smarter than all of us for backing down. We are in way over our heads. I'm just a 'dumb grunt' that does all the heavy lifting. The guys in R&D make the stuff, I use it to its best."

I step down from the small stage, the holograms flickering off. I take a few steps, crossing the distance between me and the explosives expert. "Transfer to R&D has been granted." I put a hand on his shoulder, and say, "You just saved your own life, and by working in R&D, you may develop something that could save billions more." I step back, my hand falling to my side, as I ask, "Xeno, arrange a shuttle to transfer Cade Butler to R&D, and get him the proper paperwork to allow him to transfer, if you would." A short, low beep answered as the AI acknowledged.

Cracking a small smile, Seras looks both towards the CO and Cade, nodding, "A wise choice.. I could possibly do the same, but I have my own reasons not to back down. Perhaps I can find my own use for tech on my own time." Looking towards the CO again after he finishes his request towards the AI, she speaks out in turn, "So, we've piqued the short to medium-range interests, but what of something more medium to long-range? Are there other 'HMIU' variants to see?"

An automated, male voice responds, booming from all sides of the room, "There is a long-range and a medium range mechanized infantry unit, Trainee Seras. Which would you like to view first?"

Glancing up a little as she listens to the new voice, holding one arm across her chest, hand resting downward as the other has her elbow atop that hand, fingers picking at one another, "I'll be likely seeing both so I suppose I shall ask about the former."

Walking out of the room placing a cig in his mouth and putting a encrusted lighter to it, taking a long drag so it catches. he closes it and sits down on the ground running a hand through his hair.