Yu-Gi-Oh!: Return of the Shadows (IC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benjamin raised an eyebrow at Apostolos' constant philosophical questioning. He didn't really mind such questions, and in fact liked to ask and discuss them himself. However, when you go about asking such questions about everything that comes up and then broaden the subject the question encompasses...

Oh well. Benjamin did agree with Apostolos that dueling was a way to gain insight into oneself and of others...

Then Terrel appeared. The teen was a rather skinny and tall kid, and had hair that looked like a mini combo of famous duelists Jaden Yuki and Yusei Fudo. That's where the resemblances ended though, and Benjamin could easily tell by the boy's relaxed and even "lazy" way of speaking and carrying himself that he was a rather careless person.

"Eh, I'm sure that all this stuff going around about the Cult's magical connections are just exaggerations. Like I told the other guy, KaibaCorp probably just updated its technology to give duels more personal animations."

Benjamin shrugged as he singled out Girastag from his deck. The large and bulky beetle-like demon seemed to grin at him with pointed teeth. Benjamin knew something out of the ordinary had happened, and now that Terrel had mentioned all this stuff about magic and the Cult... it certainly went along with some of the ideas floating around within Benjamin's head as he worked on the case. He glanced back at Terrel and knew he had seen something odd as well, but made no mention to it.

"Anyway. The Cult's gaining quite the popularity nowadays, huh? Word gets around here quickly, and apparently they're going around in scripting weird symbols on the Prime Pillars. Here anything else about them? I always love hearing the wild theories."

Apostolos let out a small chuckle, "Ah, exactly, you know you do not know. That is a good realization to learn." he nodded at Terrel. Apostolos turned his attention to Benjamin, "Wild theories... Hm, well... I suppose I can craft one if you wish." Apostolos began rubbing his right temple, "They are associated with Magic, which is reminiscent of the claimed origins of Duel Monsters. With this setting in mind... We must turn to the past in order to better understand the future." Apostolos scratched the back of his head with his left hand for a moment, as he stood there pondering.

He then stopped scratching the back of his head as he moved his hand back and snapped his fingers. "The Ancient Egyptians had many sacred sites for the worshiping of animals, which held a special place in Egyptian Lore. Perhaps this Cult of the Shadows can be broken down into many different factions, which are each devoted to a certain card, which would replace an animal. Perhaps each different faction of Card Worship has different tenets and a belief system to it, which could potentially cause inner turmoil. But the Cult of the Shadows hasn't fractured? Has it? If it didn't fracture, it would need to be of some stronger being of worship than the individual groups..."

Apostolos offered a slight shrug as he glanced at Benjamin, "Well, what about that wild theory? Did it seem interesting?"

Terrel tensed a little at Benjamin's question. Terrel didn't want to show he knew a lot about the Cult of Shadows, in case Benjamin suspected anything. But he didn't want it to look like he was hiding anything either. He tried to look as relaxed as possible (which came naturally to Terrel, with his overly casual posture), and tried to come up with an answer. Thankfully, Apostolos spoke first.

This time Terrel better understood what Apostolos was saying. He didn't completely grasp Apostolos' words or their meanings, but he deduced enough to add to it.

"The craziest theory I've heard is that guy's for sure," Terrel told Benjamin, "Worshiping animal cards, or card animals, or that something along those lines, by making symbols on the pillars, is a possibility. But the Cult's order, or lack of chaos, at least in what most people, the public, can see in their actions, doesn't suggest separate worship. Oh oh, what if they just worshiped one card? Like, Exodia, or a God card? And the symbol could be an Egyptian symbol-glyph thing for the card name!"

Terrel felt immensely proud of what he'd said. Maybe he was absorbing intelligence from that philosophical dude. Or maybe he was finally being stimulated enough to unlock his deeper thoughts. Terrel thought it was the former though- the latter didn't even occur to him.

"Hm, well it is interesting to be sure, but I don't think the Cult is off worshipping cards. The way they deface the Pillars... they do so with symbols that appear everywhere they've been, and all ofthem are the same from what I've heard."

Whenever Benjamin had investigated the currently defaced Prime Pillars and other places the Cult had influence in, they were always marked with hieroglyphs. He wasn't a master of Egyptian culture to be sure, but given the symbols' appearances and the Cult's alleged knowledge of the ancient Egyptian roots of Duel Monsters... he was pretty sure they were Egyptian symbols.

"I haven't to ask myself why they're inscribing the pillars though. Not exactly a subtle technique or way of saying 'we want to control this city'. Furthermore, why would they even want to control the city in the first place?"

Places that the Cult had influence in were... subjugated really. What the Cult leaders in an area said, it went...

Benjamin looked at his Girastag card once more and then to the place were it had originally been standing. He remembered how it had aimed its weapon arm behind itself... right in the direction of the most recently defaced pillar... certainly it wasn't trying to get a message across, right? Maybe... get back to work....

"Interesting evening we've had ourselves here, but I believe I'll be on my way."

Benjamin gave a nod towards Apostolos and Terrel before walking away casually towards the direction his monster had pointed....

------------------

"I am pleased, my daughter," Caleb said with a smile. Three Prime Pillars inscribed with the Millenium Symbols now, but there was still much work to be done.

"It is rather disappointingly though that Terrel has proven to be a reckless boy. He doesn't seem to be around. A shame. No matter, what is important is that you were able to complete your task without much trouble. The city doesn't take us too seriously, except maybe the Department of Law Enforcement."

Caleb had begun to notice more appearances of officers from the Department trying to crack down on places the Cult was beginning to hold under its grip. Foolish men and women, did they not see that their commonly held way of life and rule would soon come to an end? As the Cult of Shadow's continued to rise, grand things would begin to happen that would separate the strong from the weak, and afterwards.... Caleb would decide which of the strong were worthy of living in the world he imagined.

"It is time I rest before returning to my lousy job in the city," Caleb spoke.

"Madora, feel free to do as you please now. Dismissed."

Apostolos offered a wave to Benjamin, "Farewell!" Apostolos took the duel disk off his arm, and placed it back in his satchel. Apostolos nodded at Terrel, "Remember, a pondering mind is a learning mind." Apostolos offered a brief wave to Terrel, "I must be heading off, I have an individual I must try meet, if they are where I think they are, I should be able to encounter them." Apostolos then began running to the destination, where he wished to encounter the individual he spoke of earlier.

Eventually he found himself at the door to Lenny's. He opened the door, as he waved at various individuals there, as he headed to a dingy, but well lit corner, as he peered and looked around. "Mechazawa, are you here at this fine establishment?"

Pat picked up all his cards and put them in his front left pocket, then stuffed the slime tokens back into his hat. "GG noob" Pat spat at Chris, standing proudly over the chair. He kicked the chair back in and walked away, where there seemed to be a crowd before one of those people left. There, he saw three people at about Pat's own age. Two of them were delinquents. One of the delinquents looking kind of weird. But it seemed that one of these delinquents was picking on the other. Pat could not stand for that.

"I'll tell you what he's doing here" Pat pushed Apostolos away. "He's trying to play the game. Just like everybody else. You got a problem with that?" Pat paused and took a breath, not once taking his eyes off of Aposolos or even blinking. "YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT?" Pat screamed into the boy's face, spraying a bit of spit at him. "You know, it's your kind which is why I hang around here. Now, let's duel!"

Pat ripped his deck from his pocket. "Someone, hand me a duel disk. Now!"

Apostolos glanced at Pat, as he was pushed away, into a table by Pat. Apostolos blinked as he the spittle from his speech flew and landed upon his face. He casually wiped it off, and stared at Pat. "I just wished to see if Mechazawa was here, as you see I'm an associate of his." He watched as Pat dramatically ripped the deck from his pocket.

"So are you wanting to have a friendly duel for a glimpse into your own soul?"

"Are you trying to patronize me?" Pat picked up Apostolos by the collar and gripped on tightly enough to rip the shirt. Pat pushed the boy to the side. "Fuck you!" Pat screamed, then snatched up Chris by the neck. "Duel disk" he said. Chris nodded, then reached into his backpack, tossing it to Pat. Pat caught the disk and strapped it onto his wrist. The disk itself had the same blue haired girl from Chris's card sleeves and deck box. Each and every monster slot had the same girl, making a different lewd pose. Every. Single. Slot. Different. Lewd. Pose.

Pat sighed and put his deck into the duel disk. "Let's duel!"

Apostolos blinked, "What? No, I was just asking if you were inquiri-" he was interrupted by Pat grabbing Apostolos by the collar, and was pushed against the wall. Apostolos got up and brushed himself off, as he reached into his satchel and pulled out his duel disk. "So, alright we shall see each other's souls in this friendly bout."

Apostolos put on his duel disk, "It's time to D-d-d-duel!"

Throughout the conversations and introductions, Cain said little beyond underbreath mumblings. There was plenty of things to digest here, and the implications called out were by no means welcoming. The Cult of Shadows was certainly becoming a rising influence recently; Cain couldn't help but wonder if his father's absence was to blame for it. Once more, he endeavored to push such thoughts out of his mind. What mattered now was the fact that the Cult's actions seemed to be going about in full swing. If the Cult's intention was to restore the Shadow Games to their full strength, then the completion of such plans could easily bring ruin to the world.

Cain had to think: what would his father do in this situation? Investigate, definitely. The Cult's inscriptions on the pillars were a good place to start, and with those writings all the same so far, learning what one did could determine the rest easily. If there was one made recently, that might end up being the least dangerous to look at. Cain was already planning out the rest of the afternoon; find a defaced pillar, check out the symbols, leave, grab some food, head home, study.

First things first, though: Find that pillar. Wait a minute- Benjamin seemed to know a fair share about the Cult of Shadows. While it may be likely the man could be a Cultist himself, any information he could dispense would be helpful.

Snapping back to reality, Cain escalated into a light jog after Benjamin. "Hey, wait up!" he called out, trying to get Ben's attention.

Benjamin could see the tip of the Pillar off in the distance, but before he could walk any further towards it, he heard a voice call out to him.

"Huh? What is it?" He demanded as he stopped to face Cain. It was one of the guys from earlier at the card shop.

As Ben halted to turn around, Cain slowed to a stop near him. "Hey, sorry to bother you," Cain panted a little, "but, you seem to know a bit about what been going on with these inscriptions on the pillars and such." He straightened himself out, reclaiming his heartrate before continuing, "Could you point me towards the most recent 'incident' of these? I'd like to get a look at those inscriptions."

When there seemed to be a bit of curiosity emitting from Benjamin, Cain added, "I'm a historian. Well, sort of, I'm kind of a freelancer. Still, I bet if I saw those writings I could connect them back to the times of the Shadow Games, if that's what this 'Cult of Shadows' is all about."

Ben only had a slight idea of what was going on, and despite all his hard work, he never really could go in deeper to the mystery of the Cult. Most Cultists he beat in duels either disappeared mysteriously or wound up in a coma, so he couldn't exactly interrogate them. They also had a knack for disappearing when arrested and jailed...

"A historian huh? Guess it wouldn't be such a bad idea to bring you along then. Follow me."

Benjamim waved his hand towards the Prime Pillar before walking towards it. He decided he'd ask this guy about more info on what these Shadow Games were. He had a good idea of what they were, but a bit more info wouldn't hurt.

Cain nodded in acknowledgement and began to follow Benjamin. From the sound of it, the other man was heading towards the pillar as well. No further assumptions yet, but Cain still held his veiled caution.

The Prime Pillar filled their vision as they approached, very much a shining, pristine element of the city. Only the cluster of dark glyphwork on one face of the pillar served to smite the appearance of this landmark. Cain tried squinting, but he couldn't make out any of the details from the distance they were at, so he just continued tailing Ben.

"Well, here we are," said Benjamin as he stopped in front of the Pillar. The landmark seemed to still be emitting that strange air he had felt about it when he was here earlier.

"Can you determine the significance of these symbols? I know they're Egyptian, but have no clue what they could mean... other than just being a calling card for the Cult. Speaking of which..."

The Cultists constantly boasted about how they would do this to every Pillsr and even made some vague remarks as to what would happen when all of them were inscribed. Still though, nothing solid to go on.

After eating a hearty meal, Cole stretched, and then walked outside, beckoning for his sister to follow. She spooned the last bit of rice into her mouth, then got up, shoving the clean plate to him. He placed the plate alongside his own, and set them aside for later.
Slipping on a grey coat, and giving Mary a black one, they both walked outside, not forgetting to bring their duel disks with them. Cole walked in the direction of the Fortuneteller's tent. It had no sign above it, yet most residents in the city knew when it was genuine, as it had the feeling.
On the way, he noticed a duel occurring inside the card shop. Intrigued, the led Mary inside, and they both stood on the sidelines to watch. Immediately, he turned Mary's head to the other side of the blue haired duelist, "Don't look at the gold chain guy. He's kind of a pedophile, judging by his duel disk

Old Man: 7300 Emes the Infinity(3200 ATK) Shard of Greed(0 counters)
Placido: 6900 Mother Grizzly(1400 ATK) Shard of Greed(0 counters)'

"Due to reckless greed, I skip my draw. Shard of greed gains a counter on my standby.(1 counter) I now activate trade-in, and I select my Splendid Venus." He discarded a level 8 fairy type monster to his graveyard, and drew two more cards. I now activate Card Destruction, we each discard two cards, and draw two." Picking up two cards from his hands, both monsters, he placed them in his graveyard. The old man did the same, both monsters. "I now summon Pyramid Turtle in attack mode" A small tile of sand shook, and a gray turtle with a pyramid on its back rose to the field (1200 ATK). "I now XYZ summon, using Pyramid Turtle and Mother Grizzly, and I call forth my Number 85: Crazy Box in attack mode." Mother Grizzly and Pyramid Turtle turned to orbs of blue and gray, respectively, and flew into the sky, circling a shining entity which revealed itself as a constantly shifting blue box.(3000 ATK). "Now, I activate his ability, by detaching one XYZ material, a dice is rolled, and an effect is called determined on that." The holographic dice rolled, and landed on 2. "I now draw one card. And I will activate it, my Upstart Goblin. By giving you 1000 life points, I can draw one card." He drew again, as a purple energy force flowed to the Old Man, giving him Life Points. 8300.
"I now activate Dark World Dealings, and we each discard a card, drawing one more." Drawing his card, he nodded, and sent a monster to the graveyard. "Now, I activate a second Trade-In. This time, I select Majestic Mech - Goryu." He drew two more cards. "I end my turn, and since I have seven cards, I discard one." He chose another monster, sending it to the graveyard.

"My turn!" The old man drew his card, grinning, "On my standby, my shard gets his boost too! Now, I activate Double Summon, allowing me to summon twice! First, I summon Time Wizard, but I'm not using his effect! Emes needs it! I now summon another Hourglass of Life!" Two monsters rose on the field, one, an anthropomorphic clock with a cape and a wand, the other the same pink hourglass the old man started with. (500 ATK). (700 ATK). "Now, since both of em are level two, time for my own XYZ summon! Go forth, and call on, Gachi Gachi Gantetsu!" A yellow and brown material flew up, circling a stone entity, a humanoid golem, which hunkered down in defense position. (1800 DEF). "Gachi Gachi Gantetsu increases the ATK and DEF of my monsters for 200 for each material! And since he has two, it's a 400 boost!" Gantetsu gave an invigorating roar, spinning the two materials by him rapidly. Emes stood straighter, gaining the boost, and Gantetsu receive his own buff. (3600 ATK) (2200 DEF) "Now, Emes the Infinity, destroy Crazy Box!" Obeying, Emes thrust his sword forward into the box, causing it to make odd noises as it was destroyed, the other material disappearing with it.
Placido: 6300
Old Man: 8300
"And don't forget! Emes gains 700!" The warrior gave another roar, his power increasing. (4300 ATK). The old man ended his turn.

"I activate Shard of Greed, allowing me to draw two cards. Now, I activate Dark World Dealings twice, and we both draw two, and discard two." Drawing two cards, he picked the ones he didn't want, and discarded them. Monsters again. Placido counted, he now had enough. "I special summon Sephylon, the Time Lord." Even a mile away, people could see the large ray of light descending onto the area where Placido and the Old Man were dueling. An odd creature stepped from the light, seeming to be a machine, yet not. Two radiant yellow mechanical wings seemed to sprout from it's body. (4000 ATK). "I activate his effect, and special summon Splendid Venus from my graveyard." A golden angel descended next to Sephylon. "Due to Sephylon's effect, Venus does not gain her effect, however, her attack is boosted to 4000." The angel was enveloped in a cleansing white light. (4000 ATK). "Now, I special summon another Sephylon, the Time Lord, and I use his effect to bring back Majestic Mech - Goryu." Two more monsters stepped from the pillar of light, and joined their brethren, one another Sephylon, the other a long, mechanical golden and white dragon. (4000 ATK)(4000 ATK). "I now XYZ summon, using Splendid Venus and Majestic Mech - Goryu, my Divine Dragon Knight Felgrand." The two monsters roared, and condensed into orbs of radiant light, then rose up and circled about a silver entity, a shining star in the city. Even with other similar duels going on, none of the ongoing duels were at the stage Placido and the Old man were, by this time, a small crowd of spectators had gathered. A knight appeared, seeming like an angel, except with dragon wings, and he descended to the two Sephylons. (2800 ATK) "I activate his effect, and negate the effects of Gachi Gachi Gantetsu." The knight rose his sword up dramatically, then swung it down, a beam of light descending to Gachi Gachi Gantetsu, making him wince and turn away. "Now, Emes is weakened." Emes slouched a bit, feeling defeated at the presence of the new monsters Placido had created in such a short time. (3900 ATK). "Now, I special summon yet another Sephylon, the Time Lord. Not only that, but I use his effect to summon another Majestic Mech - Goryu." Two more monsters appeared on the field, now five in total, all staring down at the old man's field. His eyes bulging as if he's never seen such a spectacle, the old man started backing away, falling onto his backside. Placido felt a small pang of pity, "I apologize. Attack." Felgrand swooped down, crushing Gantetsu, since he couldn't use his effect, next, Majestic Mech - Goryu fired a beam of intense light, engulfing Emes the Infinity. Finally, the three Sephylons all stood side by side, and wordlessly lifted up their arms. Shining light started growing in all of their arms, and they all simultaneously fired at the old man, engulfing him and the surrounding area in light.

Placido: 6300
Old Man: 0

Walking to the Old Man, Placido offered him a hand, which he gratefully accepted, getting back on his feet, and he took his cap back, and put it on his head, he then slowly hobbled through the crowd.

Immediately as the duel ended, some of the spectators started shouting challenges, which Placido all declined, "I apologize, but I am a bit worn out. I will continue my work, and I will be free to play a game tomorrow."
Unsatisfied by his response, some of the crowd boo'd as Placido walked back into his tent, and started brewing another pot of tea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truth be told, Cain wasn't quite sure what the inscription was describing. The writings didn't seem coherent, just a jumble of key phrases, but above all, they did seem to give off an air of darkness. Desperately trying to find some means of connections in the hieroglyphs, Cain realized that some of the symbols were depicting beasts, probably of the kind used in the Shadow Games and even the more recent Duel Monsters.

T͞he͜ d͏arknes̷s...̢

"Well, it's certainly not fluent Egyptian. It probably is something more like a specific element of the Cult," Cain rambled a bit, inadvertently splicing his words after Benjamin trailed off. "But I can see some symbols which could definitely be Monsters; probably ones that exist in both the Shadow Games and Duel Monsters, otherwise the Cult might not be able to make a proper connection."

Cain pointed Ben's sight towards one symbol, resembling a meaty, horned skeleton. "That could be a Summoned Skull. It's a very infamous dark creature, something easily associated with the shadows." The next image Cain highlighted looked to be an ornate sorcerer holding a twisted staff. "Probably a Dark Magician. Not inherently evil, but certainly versed in the kind of sorcery the Cult might be after." On the topside of the glyph arrangement flew a dragon whose armored hide and wings seemed to layer upon itself. "And that is-"

I͝... D͜ra̵g͘o̴n̕ o̸f ̧Da̸rk҉ne͜ss̕.͢..͠

Cain froze, his emotions immediately twisting into one of terror. A black wind seemed to blow though his body as Cain ever so slightly shivered in cold. He quickly swallowed, snapping the fingers on his outstretched hands to feign confusion and redirect attention. "Ahem, that's a- Red-Eyes, Darkness Dragon," Cain finished carefully. This monument was not sitting well for Cain's psyche, as long as he still held this deck.

Cain shook his head a little, realigning himself, and passively murmured, "Must've been a draft..." Nobody had to know about Cain new, dark secret.

Mechazawa looked up from his deck at the two. "Come now, you two. We're all friends here. Here, let's all just have a beer- on me, of course- and then we can just have a friendly card game and a nice chat. After all, what would your mothers think if they saw you acting like this in public? Let's just settle down, no gizmos and gadgets and such."

Apostolos waved to Mechazawa, "Friend, there you are. A beer would be nice... But it would be rude if I didn't play against him now, after all he asked to gain a glimmer of introspection of his own soul with this game. Can we drink afterwards, I'll buy your drink if you want. Oh and maybe if you wish to play a game of Duel Monsters, we can look into your soul as well. But that is of course, only if you want to play Mechazawa." Apostolos nodded at Mechazawa.

"A quick game of Duel Monsters would be wonderful, Apostolos-", He waved a claw dismissively, "-And there's no need to buy anything, beers are on me tonight."

Status
Not open for further replies.