Without Heaven [OOC + Signups]

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
@SecretsLiesMurder
I'd have to decline Shiro on the grounds that her origin is too supernatural for the RP. I apologize for not putting that bit in this OOC board but moving forward, strictly humans only for characters.

@Vonghese
Aito is approved although I have a small request.

Can you flesh out Aito's physical appearance a bit more? His picture leaves a lot to the imagination sooo yeah. XD

Last edited:
Putting a profile toniiiight.

Coming up. It's hard to find an anime samurai with a naginata, or else with his shirt off and showing wicked tattoos. But I am the right tool for the job.

@SecretsLiesMurder First of all, I'm sorry. I actually knew about the 'no supernatural' rule (had to work around it in my own character creation since I'm so used to giving my characters superpowers in one way or another) but it totally slipped my mind when I was doing my initial review of your character. So sorry for not warning you about that when I could have.

Secondly, don't apologize for making mistakes in making a character, even the most seasoned roleplayers will often need corrections on this first character attempt in a new RP, if simply for reasons like not knowing an element of the universe (like no supernatural creatures allowed for example) and character reviews/critiques are always given with the intention of helping the player improve said character in their next attempt , not to somehow shame them for their faults. Also, if another player reads through the early OOC posts before submitting their character, them seeing my review of your now corrected character may very well prevent them from making a similar error in their own character creation. This is why I would make it personal policy to put my reviews up publicly in my past roleplays, as a source of reference and information of it was needed.
However, I'm not obstinate in this, so if you and our GM insist I will henceforth deliver my reviews through personal messages.

Now, since hologram hasn't yet judged the newest version of your character, allow me to update my own review ^_^.

This new character is quite interesting and her history much more fluid in my opinion. I'm curious as to where she picked up teh hand-to-hand combat skils, but considering her babysitters were all likely hardened criminals like her parents, it doesn;t exactly break suspension of disbelief that someone at some point would have given her a few pointers in CQC. Personally I'd like it if you expanded on exactly what hand-to-hand entailed, is it a style like boxing, wushu? does it focus on grapples? does it involve kicks and legwork? What does she look like while fighting? But this, i assume, is something that would be considered more as a good 'extra' for the character, not a necessity. In other words I don't think that its absence will cause hologram to reject the character. As she is I think she's ready for approval.

I will say one thing though. It's a risky move for you to say your character relies on verbal abuse and 'attacks people at their weakest points' in battle. Not because badmouthing n a fight is against any rules or anything, but just because you have to wonder how really effective that is actually going to be. It's one thing to say that your character can do it, but it's another to have the skills to actually pull it off with other player chaacters who are actually trying to beat and outwit yours. Think about of the accepted characters we have so far. A psychotic cultist priest who's probably about to make us all drink the cool-aid, a serial-killer mad swordsmith who gets his jollies turning his victims into new weapons for him to kill his next victim with, an angsty vergil-striking samurai who could teach batman a thing about brooding over vengeance and justice, and a veteran hero of the bloodiest battle of the warring states period whose name and elegant glaive alone is enough to bring a small measure of order to a village in this lawless island. To all those guys, what exactly do you, playing a local barimaid/leader of a mid-class mercenary group, intend to say to them to get under their skin? what could you say? two of them are outright nuts. It seem to me like it's a 'weapon' of your characters that would end up only being useful on NPCs, which we can already control pretty much however we want anyways.

Now I'm not telling you to absolutely not make it a part of your character. If it's still something that you want to be a part of who she is and think you can play around it, or can deal with it suddenly becoming very ineffective for her as soon as she starts encountering other player characters (I have the utmost respect for players who chose to play with a stat penalty for narrative's sake), then by all means go ahead and keep it. I just wanted to inform you of the difficulties I foresaw you encountering with that particular character trait is all.

@Vonghese You were already accepted by the GM so I you don;t really need a review, but I did want to say that I love the direction you took with your character and give you props for actually choosing to play someone older than 25 but younger than 100 (and who actually looks the part) in an anime-inspired roleplay haha. also there is never such a thing as too much history. never. I do kind of feel bad for the guy who killed aito's mom though. He won fair and square by having the strength and skill to straight up cleave through his opponent's weapon, a skill that must have cost him years of dedicated training to attain. And it ends with a post-match lethal tie because his opponent just happened to have the ONE weapon with the ONE enchant on it that would fuck him over if he cut through it. Badass swordsman is now badluck brian haha.

Last edited:
@Buio : Yeah, thank you. I'll make adjustments to my character when I actually get into the roleplay. Right now, I don't know how characters will react with each other to make a good character ^^"

...... aaaaaaaaand of course holo would reply while i was writing the review. *headwalls*

well, at least i was right in my prediction that he would accept it as-is haha.

by the way hologram, i was actally wondering while reading through vong's character sheet. That enchantment on his mother's spear, doesn't that count as supernatural origin? If we get a player applying with a character who is armed with any swordbreaker-type weapon, he'll be at an immediate disadvantage against Aito.

Oh, and @Vonghese . i just wanted to mention to you something. you refer to a naginata as a spear a few times. This is gonna be a nitpick so feel free to ignore it but technically only piercing-specialized ploearms can be referred to as spears, hence the verb to spear referring to impaling something with something else (usually a long, possibly sharp stick or equivalent). Bladed polearms are thus usually referred to as Glaives, not spears (though they obviously totally can still pierce pretty well, being pole-arms and everything)

===============*
the more you know

Last edited:
When will the actual role-play start? I'm so anxious to start. ^^

@Buio

Those are some really detailed character analysis! Kudos to you! I kinda thought that the immolation bit was Aito's doing rather than a curse of sorts. @Vonghese should be able to clear that up for us.

@SecretsLiesMurder
I'm waiting for the people who replied to my Interest thread to submit their character profiles. However, so as to not keep everyone waiting for too long, you can expect the actual RP to be up either Saturday or Sunday this week.

You were already accepted by the GM so I you don;t really need a review, but I did want to say that I love the direction you took with your character and give you props for actually choosing to play someone older than 25 but younger than 100 (and who actually looks the part) in an anime-inspired roleplay haha. also there is never such a thing as too much history. never. I do kind of feel bad for the guy who killed aito's mom though. He won fair and square by having the strength and skill to straight up cleave through his opponent's weapon, a skill that must have cost him years of dedicated training to attain. And it ends with a post-match lethal tie because his opponent just happened to have the ONE weapon with the ONE enchant on it that would fuck him over if he cut through it. Badass swordsman is now badluck brian haha.

Thanks for the kind words. I must stress, however, that there is no guarantee that the naginata is, in fact, cursed. It could have been a freak coincidence. It could be that his mother poisoned the blade. It could have been Aito's vengence. The point isn't that the weapon is cursed, it's that everyone believes that it is cursed.

Aito is the island's greatest naginata wielder, but that sort of thing just puts a target on his back from everyone who wants bragging rights. The supposed curse deters this, so he's left alone mostly. That's the only reason I added the supposed curse in the first place. After all, how can you lose a fight the other guy doesn't show up for?

Oh...I'll be away those days. XD I'm leaving on a trip. I guess I'll wait and jump in when I get back.

..... i just wanted to mention to you something. you refer to a naginata as a spear a few times. This is gonna be a nitpick so feel free to ignore it but technically only piercing-specialized ploearms can be referred to as spears, hence the verb to spear referring to impaling something with something else (usually a long, possibly sharp stick or equivalent). Bladed polearms are thus usually referred to as Glaives, not spears (though they obviously totally can still pierce pretty well, being pole-arms and everything)
I'm a weapons nerd too, but I decided to go with the less technically correct term anyway, and here's why.

1) Naginata is a difficult word to write and read over and over again. It's not poetic.

2) The word 'glaive' is the western word for a virtually identical weapon, but it's still western. To me, it's as bad as saying that a knight went into battle wielding a naginata. The two were functionally identical, but you could never mistake a glaive for a naginata and vice versa. A westerner never carried a naginata, though I suppose some easterners carried glaives.

3) The word 'spear' to my mind is more generic. Even though technically incorrect, I'm more inured to the misuse of the word 'spear'.

4) The word 'spear' was flexible in the languages of the day. For example, vikings carried a glaive that was sharpened on both sides of the blade called a hewing spear. The weapons called halberds, and even glaives, were originally tools used to prune trees. Spears aren't tools, they're weapons, and have no other function. To my mind, anyway.

5) One of the unspoken laws of grammar is that wordage or grammar that distracts the reader from the actual content of the sentence is counter-productive.

Grrr, I can't wait for this RP to start so I can turn all this energy into RP...

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: SecretsLiesMurder
ah, thanks for the clear up concerning the spear then ^_^.

and in counter-retort

1) I would argue the poetic nature of the word, but then again I'm a japanophile very much used to japanese phonetics and language (even if I can't actually speak it, I can recognize it near instantly) so I suppose I can't speak for how it would sound to someone with a different ear.

2) Technically speaking the word spear would then be incorrect for the same reason, being the name of a western weapon. But unlike glaive the word spear is actually english, so I concede that to a mainly english audience like this one, it is much more generic in connotation.

3) see 2)

4) fair enough

5) That grammar also hinges on you knowing your audience well. For example, the technical incorrectness of the term will draw attention if your audience is primarily composed of over-analytical weapon geeks like me haha. I'd also argue that a roleplay forum has an above-average chance of attracting exactly such people.

I agree, this roleplay is going to be fun. It's gonna be difficult not having Muramasa immediatey head out to kill some of you though haha. Do expect him to probably be the first of the blades to confront your party though.

which reminds me. @Hologram Summer I assume you'd prefer our three Big Bads not mobilize immediately when the rp starts to give the players some time to 'set up'. So did you want me to make a secondary character to interact with the players with or did you have something else planed for those three in the mean time?

Grrr, still can't find a good pic. Fuck it, I'm going to just describe him.

Status
Not open for further replies.