Wintersmith

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Georgiana Everdale​

no-lightbox
Shaking her head, Georgie looked up and gently, grasped his hands, her smile warm and thoughtful, "Mason, you shouldn't put off your trip. Not for me. It would be better if you went with me, and then we could go to Scotland when it's over with. But to be honest, I worry what that awful woman would do to poor Lizzie. Being there, in that house, as a child. It was terrible."

With a small sigh, she straightened, "We'll worry about it later. I've had enough of things getting in the way of our wedding, Mason. We should be happy... We should be deliriously happy. And between your injury and... Jane... and now this? It's just absurd. I refuse to let anything else get in the way." Settling beside him, she took hold of his hands again, "All this bad fortune, it's made things so clear to me. What's important in my life. You and Lizzie, you are what matter, and all the luck in the world, good or bad, couldn't change that."

Theirs had been a journey fraught with disasters of every kind, and they had both come far too close to disaster for her tastes, but they were close. So close, to real, pure happiness, and too long now she had allowed the negative to impact them. She had almost done it again - almost allowed her past to ruin something good.

It instilled in her the strength needed to finally put it all to rest. To put her past behind her, for good, "We'll go together, my love. But only after our wedding."

Mason Osment​

no-lightbox
"Mm, Lizzie is old enough that she can stay by herself for a very short while before we depart," he argued, "but if you'd rather we left and you joined us afterwards, I won't keep fighting with you on the matter." He wanted to fighter her with every fiber of his being, but it was her dispute to settle with her step-mother, and it was something he couldn't interfere with if she didn't want him to. Georgiana dismissed the argument all together for another time, which was fine. They had several days yet left to worry about it before the wedding.

"I am deliriously happy," he again argued with her, though this time with a slight half-smile. "Quite so, but that doesn't mean things won't come up, like my injury, Jane." His incessant disagreements broadened his smile even more when she scooped up his hands in her own. His fingers tangled with hers, his thumb brushing across the gentle peaks and troughs of her knuckles.

"We may be what's most important, my love, but without the less important things too, we'd lose our value. Whatever happens before, and after, the wedding, will be what will happen. We'll get through this, I assure you." In her face, it was plain to see her hesitation in anything regarding her step-mother. He wished he could explain to her that, soon, she'd never have to deal with the woman again.

She wouldn't be an Everdale; she'd be an Osment.

"Happiness can't be made without sadness. One without the other would just be neutrality." He leaned up in his seat to press a kiss against her smooth, warm cheek. "But once we're in Scotland, there will be no sadness… at least for a little while. I promise you." He was making a promise he wasn't sure he could keep, but damnit all if he wasn't going to give it his all to make it true. "Let's only worry about our wedding for the time being. Come now, could you use some tea? I think I could. Tea, followed by whiskey."

• Love
Reactions: Elle Joyner
Georgiana Everdale​

no-lightbox
"I would rather that you never left my side, Mason, my darling." Laughing gently, Georgiana gave her head a shake, "And I've no wish to fight you, either. Perhaps a compromise, then. You shall accompany me... you and Lizzie both, for we know she shan't listen if we tell her to stay behind, the hopeless child... and we shall stay on the outskirts of my father's home. There's an inn there, pleasant enough, with a terribly pleasant owner. And when I go to speak to my step-mother, I shall go alone. Then, I think, I shall still feel accomplished, without being so wretchedly alone."

As he continued, her smile softened, and leaning back with a sigh, her head bowed in a gentle nod, "I've no doubt, my love, that whatever else life has to throw our way, we will handle it with a measure of poise and grace, as we have everything else we've come up against thus far. It had been a rocky road, but I know I can do anything, so long as I am with you. I'm happy too, Mason... I do hope you know that. So incredibly happy. More than I dare to be. Perhaps that's how it is with you and I though... We have been through so much and have endured such sadness. The happiness, then, is something we feel all the more."

Tipping into the kiss to her cheek, she closed her eyes with a contented sigh, "Tea sounds magnificent, my darling. And I do dare say I wouldn't argue a glass of the other, either. If I can pretend for a moment I am not a well-schooled lady." Grinning, she rose to her feet, holding out her hands to him, "These next few days cannot move fast enough, Mason. I cannot wait to marry you."

• Love
Reactions: Nav
Mason Osment​

no-lightbox
"I should tell you I don't often compromise," he mentioned idly, though he listened to what she had to say and decided it'd be suitable. He knew Georgiana wanted to go confront of her step mother alone, and he could understand the desire. Having him tag along would make it look like she needed someone there to back her up, to defend her, when she didn't. It'd be better if the argument took place with just the two of them, anyways, and it would open him up to play babysitter to Lizzie.

"That will suit us both just fine, then," he agreed after a moment's consideration. He slid his hands free of Georgiana's so he could place them on his knees and push himself up. A yawn threatened to take over, but he swallowed it back, his face contorting with the sleepiness for only a moment before returning to a relaxed state. "That is quite a poetic way of putting it." He glanced back to Georgiana. "But yes, I suppose that would be true."

Mason was already setting off towards the parlor to request tea to be made, sliding his hand into Georgiana's as he did. "Let's not worry about the next few days. For now, let's only worry about enjoying a cuppa and a nice fire."

He led the way, slowly, into the main parlor an took a seat after requesting to one of the maids that tea be fetched. The fire was already crackling away in the fireplace, making the room warm and inviting. Mason was quick to slide his hand free and settle into one of the armchairs with a comfortable sigh, lolling his head back against the plush filled backrest. The tea arrived only a few minutes later, the platter of two cups, two saucers, and one large teapot set between them on the side table. Aromas of jasmine and mint swirled up against the smokiness, tantalizing his taste buds and encouraging him to pour out a cup for both himself and Georgiana.

"I'm surprisingly tired," he admitted with a small chuckle.

Georgiana Everdale​

no-lightbox
"You needn't tell me, my love..." She teased, as he talked about compromises, "I've known you far too long to think I'd ever cut through that strong will of yours without at least some effort... and never, if it wasn't what you wanted, as well. But thank you, all the same." She needed it. She hadn't really realized it until she had begun to think about it properly, how important it was to her that she settle her affairs with her father's wife on her own... that she have the strength to do so. And knowing that Mason would not interfere, but that he would be there after the fact was a great comfort.

Still, she was eager as well, to put the matter aside for now. There were better things to think about, and she was tired, all the same. She followed after him to the parlor and before the warmth of the fire, tea only a short distance away, a pretty picture of cozy domestication was all she needed to put all things out of her mind. Sinking down on the arm of the chair Mason chose, she took her tea, looking down at him with a small, gentle smile. Reaching out, she brushed the hair from his eyes, before shaking her head, "It had been a trying few weeks, darling. I think when all of this is over, we will need a great deal of time to ourselves."

Smiling, she leaned in to brush a soft kiss to the apple of his cheek, "I intend very much to enjoy my husband, and I shall not suffer anyone who tries to intervene." A soft sigh escaped as she straightened, and taking a sip of her tea, she concentrated for a moment on the subtle notes of mint, letting her eyes fall closed, "I find I'm rather tired, myself. But I should see to Lizzie, soon... It won't do at all for me to slack on my duties, now and lose my governess job. I'm quite fond, you see, of my employer."