When am I?

"My mom and I were very close." Zack told her. He gave her a smile smile. "It was just the two of us. I never knew my father." He was glad that Miyuki accepted the hug. It had been brief and awkward. He didn't know if that was because she wasn't use to accepting comfort or because hugs were something ancient Japanese culture frowned on. He wished he had gotten around to studying it. He always meant to. He was a very unique culture.

Miyuki wished she could comfort Zack, but she couldn't quite understand him. After all, it couldn't be that bad to only know one parent; the children of warlords usually knew neither, or at least, they didn't know their parents well. She tried to give him another comforting smile, though, before returning to her clothes-washing. "Oh! Right... Zack, you don't have a place to stay, do you?" she suddenly asked, pausing to look at the boy.

Zack shook his head. No he didn't have a place in ancient Japan to stay. The thought made him frown. What on earth was he doing here? Why here and now? He looked again as if something in his surroundings could give him the answer. Had the box been Japanese she wondered. He thought about it but the exact design was like a fading dream. Had the box come with him? If not would he ever be able to go home? "Did you see a box?"

Miyuki's mind had been whirring, wondering if Zack would be able to live with her and the family that had taken her in; of course, she quickly eliminated that option, as it had already been hard on them to take in Miyuki. She was startled out of her thoughts when she heard Zack's voice, asking about a box. "Huh? Oh, no," Miyuki murmured, shaking her head, "I don't see a box anywhere." With a sigh, she turned her head to look at Zack. "I'm sorry, but I don't know where you would be able to stay. The family I'm staying with is rather poor and they'd ask too many questions about you. They don't believe in magic... or whatever it is that brought you here. Do you think you could stay in the woods? I could try to bring you a blanket and some food..." Miyuki murmured, gesturing towards the woods on the other side of the small stream.

"I guess it's a good thing I was a Boy Scout." Zack told her warily. He shook his head. Now not only half way around the world, hundreds of years from the world he know, but he had to live in the woods. He was thankful for the skills he had learned. "Maybe I'll get lucky and find a cave." Japan had caves right?

"I'm afraid I don't know what a... Boy Scout... is," Miyuki murmured, "But finding a cave would certainly be good. I think there should be one over in the woods somewhere. I remember staying in one la-" The girl suddenly stopped speaking, as if recognizing that she had said too much. Giving Zack a stiff nod, Miyuki turned back to her chores. "Yeah, there should be a cave."

Zack stared at her was a confused expression on Hus face. He was suretat tgere was a stoey tgere but he wouldn't blush. At least not right now. She was the inky person he knew in rural ancient Japan. While Hus boy scout training would come in jhandy he wasn't sure how much it with a world so different from the one he was used to. "Alright. I'll go see if I can find it before dark. Thank you Miyuki. I hope I see you again." He headed into the woods wondering what his chances were of beinable to survive alone in a world he barely knew.

OOC: If you want to timeskip, feel free.

Miyuki nodded slowly, even though Zack had turned away and could no longer see her. "Goodbye, Zack. Good luck finding your way home," she murmured softly in a barely audible voice. As Zack walked away into the woods, Miyuki stood, clutching the bundle of wet clothing tightly as she too headed away from the stream and towards the small hut where she had been staying for the last year. As she hung the clothes out on a clothesline to dry, her thoughts kept wandering to Zack and his plight. How did he even get here from his America... and how did he travel through time? Would he ever be able to find his way home?

Zack made way into the woods. He wasn't sure what was going to happen now. He didn't mind living in the woods for awhile but he didn't like the idea of it being a long term solution. Of course there was the fact that he stood out like a sore thumb. He was pale and blond. They were darker with brown or black hair. He doubted he could find a place for himself in this world. It took him awhile but he did find a decent cave hat would shelter him from the worse of the weather. He gather a few supplies like berries to eat and wood for a fire. Then he called it a night.

Last edited:
Just after dawn, the next morning...

Every day, Miyuki would get up right after dawn to practice with her katana for an hour or so, before beginning her chores. Today, however, Miyuki merely grabbed the food she had saved the night before and headed into the woods, searching for Zack. In all homesty, she was concerned for him. Whatever this America was, it seemed to be not nearly as dangerous as the world Miyuki had known all her life. She could see in Zack's eyes that he had never been in as much danger as she herself had, and she had been a princess for the first seventeen years of her life! Shaking away her thoughts, Miyuki stopped walking as she reached the entrance of a small cave. "Zack? You there?" she called.

Zack had made the cave as 'homey' as he could. There were still many things he needed for a long term stay but he decided it would do for now. He woke shortly after sunrise. He had gather a berries for himself the night before not expecting Miyuki to show up until afternoon at the earliest. He was surprised to hear her call his name. "Back here."

Miyuki couldn't help but suppress a soft smile when she heard Zack's reply, walking over towards him. She handed him the small bowl of rice she had brought from the hut she lived in, as well as another bowl of vegetables, both covered with thin cloths to preserve freshness. "H-here," she murmured, "We had some leftovers from dinner last night and... well, if nobody ate them, we were going to have to throw them away anyways..." With those words, she gave Zack a shy smile.

Zack smiled. "Thank you Miyuki. That is very generous of you." He took the two bowls from her. He sat on the ground. "I hope you don't mind. I was able to find some berries but this looks lot better." He tried to remember what he knew about Japanese culture. Was it an insult to eat in front of someone? Surely she wouldn't have given him the bowls id she didn't intend for him to eat them. They food wouldn't last forever.

Miyuki gave Zack a smile. "It's fine. If you're worried about our culture, there's nothing wrong with eating; after all, everyone has to do it to stay alive," she told him. Miyuki was pretty impressed that he was worrying about culture and all that; had she been in his place, she would be panicking. Suddenly, something else struck Miyuki. "Wait! How do you know Japanese? Whenever we're talking, you always seem to use Japanese, but I feel like you speak it strangely well for a foreigner... is it a power of the box you mentioned?" she asked.

Zack frowned thoughtfully at her question. He hadnt thought about how easy they were communicating. "I don't speake Japanese." He had taken German in high school as his foreign language. He seriously doubted that she was speaking English. He ran his hands through his hair. "My hairs still blonde right?"

Miyuki gave Zack a smirk at his question. "Yes, your hair's still blonde," she replied simply, "It's really strange, because you are speaking Japanese. Or at least, that's what I'm hearing..." With that, she shrugged. "I suppose I should be going now. I don't want anyone to start worrying about me. Unless you would rather I stay, of course," she murmured, giving Zack a small grin.

Zack breathed a sigh of relief. He didn't know if he would have been able to handle it if he had suddenly become Japanese. He was barely handling everything now. One more thing might snap his mind's hold on reality. "I wish I could go with you. I would love to learn about your culture. I am something of a nerd that way. But I suppose I would stand out too much for that. Maybe when you have time you could come here and teach me?" He needed something to do in this time. Learning seemed the most logical choice.

"Maybe," Miyuki mumbled with a small shrug of her shoulders. "I wouldn't want people asking questions... If they find you... well, let's say that my people don't like foreigners very much." She gave Zack a small, sad smile before she turned away, heading out of the cave. Without turning around, she continued to speak, "In the mean time, though, why don't you scavenge around for some more food? I don't know when I'll be able to bring you more... and nobody ever comes into the woods, so you'll be safe here..."

Zack nodded. He had figured as much. He hoped that he could find enough food to survive. The good things was that there was alot of plants. "Thank you for coming by Miyuki." He was glad for the company. Even if it was only for a few minutes. "Don't foret your bowls."

"Huh?" Miyuki asked, turning. Her eyes widened as she finally figured out what Zack was saying. "Oh, yeah..." she murmured, walking back over, "You're done eating already?" Her lips curved into a teasing smile as she took the two bowls from Zack. "Thanks. You must've been hungry, huh?" she asked. With that, she walked away, out of the cave, without turning back.