What is your favourite D&D creature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every Dire Badger I have ever seen has scored a critical hit and peeled my like a banana on the first turn of combat, it's bloody ridiculous.

Dire Badger.

Well, since people don't want to admit to being the real monster, cowards like the PC one.

What about Mimics?
Oh Look I'm gonna get me some treasure!
NOPE!
Mindflayer thanks to Critical Role
Clareece! <3

Not sure if this would be considered a 'creature', but lets shoot it out:

Hobgoblins. These fuckers can really come to ruin your day. People think they are not much, but FUCK, have a team of well trained veterans, you will shit bricks

Tarrasque and owlbears for aesthetics.

Never played a game of D&D in my life, though. So. Yeah.

Tarrasque
A creature of utterly obscene power. One of (if not outright the) most powerful creature in any edition of the D&D monster manual. Traditionally had enough power behind it to kill lesser deities by itself. Spits on the notion of death by merely being sent back to its home realm rather than actually "dying." I'm not sure if the Terrasque can even really "die."
One day, Gary Gygax got reaaaalllly high, and made something completely awesome. The end.

It's been said

but

Beholder

also Illithids

Aboleths are pretty trippy as well

Then, the most terrifying of DnD creatures

a bad DM, or that ONE player

Reactions: Brovo
I had a warlord character in my friend's massive apocalyptic campaign that was used to fight against the player characters.

latest

He rode one of these, as a mount.

Monstrous Index (Monstrous Manual) - very fun large list of DnD creatures, such as the Gigantic Space Hamster (though I prefer the miniature variety).

My favorite (not necessarily D&D) Monster?

Faeries, closely followed by imps for similar reasons

Has anyone read or remember the Artemis Fowl book series? It taught me the valuable lesson that these pests aren't to be trifled with lightly, or you will live to regret it. That's what I love about them; non-adventurers understand perfectly well the damage that a swarm can cause to villages and crops, yet adventurers do not. As a DM, I would do all I could to truly represent faeries as something memorable. That does include tampering with adventurer rations.

For starters, just imagine "handling" a swarm of these guys, and they don't even have to be intelligent. Just try to guess which ones are poison while swinging that axe around.
Faerie, Petty, Bramble (Monstrous Manual)

Now imagine if they have access to spells. I'd consider this a template and allow some unseelie faeries to have the annoying seelie faerie spells that adventurer's wouldn't be able to handle easily.
Sprite, Seelie Faerie (Monstrous Manual)
Sprite, Unseelie Faerie (Monstrous Manual)

The possibilities grow when you mix the zombie undead template to the faeries (which I'd totally do as a rule of cool), and when you have faerie overlords, such as plague witches.

Doesn't Pathfinder have Swarm rules for Monsters?

Reactions: foodforpigs
Status
Not open for further replies.