What do you think about genreblending?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minibit

Returned from the Void
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Quest, Sci-Fi, Time Travel and World Hopping, Steampunk, Action/Adventure, Modern Drama, Mystery, Slice of Life, Romance, and many more.
Genreblending is when you take two or more genres, and smash them together into a combination for a new one!

Western Scifi, Historical fantasy, Historical pocalypse, the sky's the limit!

Do you like to use genreblending in your worlds?
Do you typically like to blend genres, or elements of those genres (do you think of it as "western fantasy" or "cowboys and elves"?)
What's your favourite genreblended setting?
What do you like/dislike about genreblending?
Any advice for those who are intrigued and want to try it?

As a kid I liked a Fantasy Mecha anime whose three girl protagonists fought evil in behalf of a princess. But a mix I don't like very well is Fantasy Slice of Life because the abundant misuse of erotic elements, to the point of every move to be an excuse for more erotic situations.

Reactions: Minibit
Yes! While traditional genres can be so much fun, one of my favorite things to do for a roleplay is pair two genre that you wouldn't normally see together.

Do you typically like to blend genres, or elements of those genres (do you think of it as "western fantasy" or "cowboys and elves"?)
I would say I blend elements far more often than the genre as a whole.

Well, it's a subgenre to be specific but: grimdark x something traditionally light-hearted like magical girl or comedy

I love the challenge of blending the two genre together as smoothly as possible.
Sometimes I just can't make it work. ;-;

Take your favorite elements from your favorite genre and make a concept out of them and just work it all out from there. I find it's easiest to determine the core or the "heart" of a roleplay and build out from the middle.

-Yes

-Yes

-Modern Fantasy and Medieval with a touch of modern adding guns and things like that.

-I like that it opens new and unexpected possibilities for what you can do with the characters and the environment.

First, they should try to know well the genres and the elements that reside in those. I think that's all, the only really important thing is, BE CREATIVE.

Hell yes! So much creativity brings me a lot of inspiration for current and future roleplay ideas and plot bunnies, etc.

Of course! Who wouldn't? Like I stated above, it brings me a lot of inspiration and a lot of creativity is absolutely God for me! If I did something with cowboys and elves, I'd refer to it as western fantasy more so than 'cowboys and elves'.

My favorite? Oh my goodness... I'm blank right now haha! Probably steampunk and medieval fantasy... That combination sounds cool~

I have never found anything I dislike about genreblending. Creative writing is my hobby, I love being imaginative, coming up with new and unique ideas, so I don't really have much reason to dislike it, because I've never thought about the negative, just how it enlightens me to write more and imagine more, etc.

Mess around with everything! Do research on either genre, look up common tropes represented in each, and if possible, read stories or watch tv series, documentaries, movies, etc. to learn more about those genres! When you have all of that knowledge in hand, your possibilities are endless! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.