What Do You Celebrate in the Winter?

• Iwaku is now back from updates! Don't forget to check out the update news here to see what we couldn't fix, and take yourself over to the bug fix thread to report any new problems.
  • If you are still having issues editing your post, please try the following:
    1. Do a hard refresh of your browser to clear your cache.
    2. Change your username to include only alphanumeric characters, spaces, underscores, and dashes. Special characters are messing with things.
F

Fluffy

Original poster
Interested to hear what everyone celebrates! Share your traditions, too!

Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa? Something else? :3
We could all use some enlightenment.

--

For me, I celebrate the Solstice. I'm Atheist, so I don't participate in the holiday called Christmas. We still have a tree though, and open gifts because those are traditions we adore. We just would rather celebrate the coming of winter and hey! We get our presents early. XD

Diana

Divine Space Witch Ò◇Ó
ADMINISTRATOR
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Christmas! For me it's not a religious holiday, it's just a family winter holiday. XD I didn't get to have Christmas growing up, so now I annoy everyone with my holiday cheer and decorating! >>;

S

Seiji

Original poster
FESTIVUS.

THE HOLIDAY FOR THE REST OF US.

C

Cotillion

Original poster
Nothing. In my family we celebrate the 'new year' and give gifts on new years day. This is mostly because both my parents are atheists, despite my dad being born a christian and my mom being a Jew (which makes me a Jew too, but I'm agnostic as far as beliefs go). It also works out better this way since I only see my parents once a year right around new years when they come and visit me for a week. Some times I do go visit them but due to my schedule throughout the year it's tough.

C

Cosmic Orion

Original poster
CHRISTMAS~!

. . . But I hate the commercialization.

Down here they had stuff in the supermarket BEFORE HALLOWEEN WAS EVEN OVER.

>_< !!!

1. Male
Genres
Fantasy, Horror and Sci-fi. I'll try basically anything though. I also love strange and unusual RP genre concepts. Different is good!
Christmas!

W

Warmaster Death

Original poster
ITS FUCKING SUMMER!

lol.

addendum: Celebrate Christmas. Considering im an apatheticist i'll celebrate any holiday you put in front of me. almost. if i can get away with it.

O

Ochalla

Original poster
My parents celebrate Christmas, so I join in on the holiday, though I'm not christian and would be more inclined to do Solstice or New Year celebrating when I have my own family. Or even better, start on Solstice and celebrate through New Years!

D

Darkness

Original poster
Dinner at home and seeing who gets drunk the fastest and gets painted stupid shit in their face with markers.

Also eating fucking delicious cake.

Torsty

Super Peace Busters Always Together, Forever!
Dinner at home and seeing who gets drunk the fastest and gets painted stupid shit in their face with markers.

Also eating fucking delicious cake.

Every weekend is a holiday?

Christmase: SOONER OR LATER, COLD, ICE AND SNOW WILL GO AWAY!

New Year's-stuff: IT'S COLD, VERY VERY COLD! 1 MIN OUTSIDE TO CHECK FIREWORKS AND CHEER, THEN EAT WHATEVER FANCY DINNER THERE IS!

Easter: WHY THE F---- DO WE CELEBRATE THIS??! WE'RE NOT JEWS! BUT THE YELLOW CHICKENS ARE COOL THO! AND SNOW IS MEELTING! HOORAY!

THE MORE HOLIDAYS, THE BIGGER WIN FOR CAPITALISM

Blind Hemingway

A former executive or something.
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
NEVER
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Douche
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Surrealism, Surreal Horror (Think Tim Burton), Steampunk, Sci-Fi Fantasy, Spaghetti Westerns, Mercenaries, Dieselpunk, Cyberpunk, Historical fantasies
Whatever I feel like at the time. So there~

C

Cotillion

Original poster
Easter: WHY THE F---- DO WE CELEBRATE THIS??! WE'RE NOT JEWS!

Jews don't celebrate Easter, since, well, Easter is the celebration of Christ's resurrection after he was crucified. The closest thing we have to 'Easter' would be passover, which celebrates the exodus from Egypt.

Zypher

Can I transfer you to my manager?
Invitation Status
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Adventure stories! They can be fantasy, modern, sci-fi, all kinds! Give me some good world travel stories and I'm all over it! I also enjoy romance stories and even though I tend to play females I love playing gay men.
I celebrate the commercial aspect of Christmas, basically, it's another excuse to get drunk and give presents, then we pretty much have various drinking parties until new year's eve~

Zypher likes to drink is all~

Hydronine

The Murrstress
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Douche
  5. Adaptable
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Scifi, Fantasy, Modern, Magical, Horror, Noir, apocalyptic, Grimdark, yaoi, yuri, anything really.
I celebrate Chanuka (It can be spelled with a "C"!) and Christmas, though I'm agonostic/spiritual. We light the menorah, and we decorate the tree, we give presents.

Eh, it's fun.

F

Fluffy

Original poster
:3 Excellent.

Happy Christmahanukwanzaakah to all! And a happy New Year!

I don't think I'm doing anything too special for New Year.... I'm underage to purchase alcohol and have no friends around here. D< I'll just watch movies and make steak for dinner. Bah!

K

Kitti

Original poster
I celebrate the commercial aspect of Christmas, basically, it's another excuse to get drunk and give presents, then we pretty much have various drinking parties until new year's eve~

Zypher likes to drink is all~

I swear, some days I should just I could marry you.

But, ahem... My parents are Christian so I grew up with Christmas. I don't really consider it religious, more the unreligious version that seems surprisingly common....
We celebrate New Years in a very traditional way, though... We have punch and my grandfather used to make caramels and reference the lead which was much too much work anymore. This confused me so much as a child, I thought he was crazy.
Another popular German custom is Bleigiessen. A candle is lit, and small chunks of lead are melted in a spoon held over the candle. Because of the low melting temperature of lead, this process does not take long. The molten lead is then quickly poured from the spoon into a bucket of cold water, where it hardens almost immediately. Each person tries to determine what he or she "sees" in the hardened lead figure, much like children see sheep, etc. in fluffy clouds. Often the lead figure is held up to a candle or other light, and the shape of the shadow it casts aids in this important decision. The shape of the lead determines the future of that person for the year to come.