What Do You Celebrate in the Winter?

F

Fluffy

Original poster
Interested to hear what everyone celebrates! Share your traditions, too!

Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa? Something else? :3
We could all use some enlightenment.

--

For me, I celebrate the Solstice. I'm Atheist, so I don't participate in the holiday called Christmas. We still have a tree though, and open gifts because those are traditions we adore. We just would rather celebrate the coming of winter and hey! We get our presents early. XD

Christmas! For me it's not a religious holiday, it's just a family winter holiday. XD I didn't get to have Christmas growing up, so now I annoy everyone with my holiday cheer and decorating! >>;

FESTIVUS.

THE HOLIDAY FOR THE REST OF US.

Nothing. In my family we celebrate the 'new year' and give gifts on new years day. This is mostly because both my parents are atheists, despite my dad being born a christian and my mom being a Jew (which makes me a Jew too, but I'm agnostic as far as beliefs go). It also works out better this way since I only see my parents once a year right around new years when they come and visit me for a week. Some times I do go visit them but due to my schedule throughout the year it's tough.

CHRISTMAS~!

. . . But I hate the commercialization.

Down here they had stuff in the supermarket BEFORE HALLOWEEN WAS EVEN OVER.

>_< !!!

Christmas!

ITS FUCKING SUMMER!

lol.

addendum: Celebrate Christmas. Considering im an apatheticist i'll celebrate any holiday you put in front of me. almost. if i can get away with it.

My parents celebrate Christmas, so I join in on the holiday, though I'm not christian and would be more inclined to do Solstice or New Year celebrating when I have my own family. Or even better, start on Solstice and celebrate through New Years!

Dinner at home and seeing who gets drunk the fastest and gets painted stupid shit in their face with markers.

Also eating fucking delicious cake.

Dinner at home and seeing who gets drunk the fastest and gets painted stupid shit in their face with markers.

Also eating fucking delicious cake.

Every weekend is a holiday?

Christmase: SOONER OR LATER, COLD, ICE AND SNOW WILL GO AWAY!

New Year's-stuff: IT'S COLD, VERY VERY COLD! 1 MIN OUTSIDE TO CHECK FIREWORKS AND CHEER, THEN EAT WHATEVER FANCY DINNER THERE IS!

Easter: WHY THE F---- DO WE CELEBRATE THIS??! WE'RE NOT JEWS! BUT THE YELLOW CHICKENS ARE COOL THO! AND SNOW IS MEELTING! HOORAY!

THE MORE HOLIDAYS, THE BIGGER WIN FOR CAPITALISM

Whatever I feel like at the time. So there~

Easter: WHY THE F---- DO WE CELEBRATE THIS??! WE'RE NOT JEWS!

Jews don't celebrate Easter, since, well, Easter is the celebration of Christ's resurrection after he was crucified. The closest thing we have to 'Easter' would be passover, which celebrates the exodus from Egypt.

I celebrate the commercial aspect of Christmas, basically, it's another excuse to get drunk and give presents, then we pretty much have various drinking parties until new year's eve~

Zypher likes to drink is all~

I celebrate Chanuka (It can be spelled with a "C"!) and Christmas, though I'm agonostic/spiritual. We light the menorah, and we decorate the tree, we give presents.

Eh, it's fun.

:3 Excellent.

Happy Christmahanukwanzaakah to all! And a happy New Year!

I don't think I'm doing anything too special for New Year.... I'm underage to purchase alcohol and have no friends around here. D< I'll just watch movies and make steak for dinner. Bah!

I celebrate the commercial aspect of Christmas, basically, it's another excuse to get drunk and give presents, then we pretty much have various drinking parties until new year's eve~

Zypher likes to drink is all~

I swear, some days I should just I could marry you.

But, ahem... My parents are Christian so I grew up with Christmas. I don't really consider it religious, more the unreligious version that seems surprisingly common....
We celebrate New Years in a very traditional way, though... We have punch and my grandfather used to make caramels and reference the lead which was much too much work anymore. This confused me so much as a child, I thought he was crazy.
Another popular German custom is Bleigiessen. A candle is lit, and small chunks of lead are melted in a spoon held over the candle. Because of the low melting temperature of lead, this process does not take long. The molten lead is then quickly poured from the spoon into a bucket of cold water, where it hardens almost immediately. Each person tries to determine what he or she "sees" in the hardened lead figure, much like children see sheep, etc. in fluffy clouds. Often the lead figure is held up to a candle or other light, and the shape of the shadow it casts aids in this important decision. The shape of the lead determines the future of that person for the year to come.