Walkers: Origins (McTavish and Lorchenne)

Status
Not open for further replies.
His question answered, Bennett stepped through the portal, not knowing what he would find. At the very least, he was somewhat used to the odd feel of passing through the inter-dimensional rift. It still sent shivers down his back, though, and likely would for the rest of his time as a Walker.

It was a dark but cozy room. A hotel room; rather quaint and sad one.

"Moving on," Amethyst announced her presence near the window. She's pretty quick to clean up and was observing something below through the gaps of the blinds. "Walkers have a sort of tier system that follows the type of Walker gene that is written into your own genes. They're called Generations.

"There's n-eight. I belong to the first Generation. We are called Balancers. It's our primary task to keep Midpoint alive and Walkers active. Some of us take on a ward, like I have with you.

"The ones we saw earlier are Cleaners. They seem to be doing all the dirty work, but really, theirs is one delicate job. There are traces that our tasks leave that are inappropriate to the world we enter and they're the ones responsible for keeping that away. Those corpses will be modified to show a death more suitable to the world they died in, sometimes.

"You are part of the Vanguards, responsible for huntings, spyings, assasinations, destructions, general offense. You are often to work in a party with next Gens, but that all depends on the task." Amethyst paused and peered closely in the window. "Our dealer is here. Today, Bennett, you are my partner for this buy-bust operation."

She summoned another one of the cabinet-type portals and pulled out a file. "Written in your characters are some details you might need to learn"

He listened intently as she explained the situation. Now things were starting to piece together, to make sense. Of course, the entire ordeal was nonsensical, but it was actually true. "Daeen would flip if he knew his theories were right."

He set the file down on the table and showered quickly. Once he was clean and back in his suit (which did get a hole in it) he read over the file.

"Brachus Karamrr, age 32, technopath, 8th Gen Walker. A Fence for thieves in the city of Merigard, on planet Kast. Specializes in mystic items such as dragon eggs, enchanted items, potions, and cursed artifacts. This the guy we're supposed to be taking down?" he asked, looking at the picture of the man.

Fence.jpg

Amethyst nodded gravely. "He knows me and he knows my nature, so I'll have you take charge of the operation. Can you handle it?" She turned his back to him again, morphing into a man. "He likes to drink with his clients, just let him. How are you with liquor?"

She considered this for a moment as she turned to him, now seeming to be a middle aged man who belonged in Merigard. "I've established this rather sensitive deal because these eggs are extremely rare. He'll try to distract you, try to offer you something so you'll give the eggs. At worst, he might use magic."

Bennett shrugged. "Yeah, I've dealt with Fences. Before I became an earth-tiller for the Commune back home I had a friend that ran with some thieves, he had me deal with a fence or two, personal grudge kinda thing. All behind me now. As for liquor, I can manage."

He picked up a case and motioned for his shape shifting mentor to grab the other and follow. If Brachus acted like a regular Fence, he would know where to find him.

Not too long after leaving the hotel he entered a club, and headed over to the VIP. It was just a universal law of illegal deals; for good deals, go VIP. And Mr. Karamrr seemed like a VIP level guy. Bennett found the table that their target Fence was at, and sat across from him. Bennett set his case on the table. "You Brachus Kararmrr?" he asked.

Should Amethyst not have been able to help it, she would have looked pained by the directness with which Bennett handled the operation. She shrugged-still in her mind-thinking that he was not the type to dilly-dally. It's a good sign for a Vanguard.

"To whom do I owe this pleasure?" Kararmrr looked up to the two of them, apparently cautious. But, he spoke with a formal tone and poised businesslike air.

"Bennett Angoria. This is my assistant. Or, one of them, at any rate. I hear tell you're the guy to see about items of mystic origin? Curses, potions. Certain types of eggs?" he spoke calmly, formal enough to hint he was here for business, yet relaxed enough to show he was not unfamiliar with the situation.

He sat at the table and ordered a glass of scotch from a waitress.

Karamrr seemed pleased when he spoke but nonetheless he had his guard up. "I've never seen you do business. I've been in the industry for years and I've never once heard of a Bennett Angoria."

"Acquaintances of the Icarus clan." Amethyst said coolly beside Bennett.

"Ah, the Icarus clan, of course." Karamrr nodded, taking a sip from his expensive looking drink. "Well, what do you have for me? I'm not interested in things that aren't rare."

Bennet smirked. "I don't think you'll be disappointed." he said, turning the case around slowly and popping it open, revealing the lightly glowing eggs. "Dragon Eggs. Goldspine Reds. The other case contains the other two." He leaned back in his chair and downed the rest of his glass, confident that the items of interest would be sure to catch the fancy of the Fence.

Karamrr's eyebrows met in suspicion but he was also quite impressed. He took a moment and called for the best drinks that the establishment has to offer. "Surely a complicated catch, or a troublesome find, was it not?"

There were at least 12 bodyguards, Amethyst counted. She eyed each man, inconspicuously seated in other tables. That's strange. There's too many. Something wasn't right. They had their own back up, planted in different locations as well. It was a Walker-friendly place, so some of the back ups will enter precisely when an emergency occurs.

"I'd like you to tell me all about it." Karamrr said coldly. He could not believe mere acquaintances of the Icarus clan could obtain such treasure. He must absolutely find out how those were obtained. He eyed the eggs greedily.

Bennett nodded, keeping a cold, business demeanor and taking peripheral notice of the high number of guards. There were definitely too many. Either this was a trap, or Brachus was a paranoid motherfucker. Somewhat disheartingly, the former was most likely. "I, like you, am a Walker. I do mercenary work. Assassination, theft, special acquisitions. On rare occasion do I deal with the Fence the Icarus Clan is selling to personally, but I insisted this time, for such items of value. As you may remember, there is a plane in which rabid dragons are kept. I entered this plane, killed the mother and a few nearby combatants, and retrieved the eggs. I then collected my assistant, waiting for me in a hotel here, and found you. You know the rest." His face remained entirely serious about the ordeal, with the exception of his minor changes of facial expression and body language that came naturally as he talked.

"Now," he said, taking a drink, "my time is rather precious. The more time I use, the longer until I get paid, the longer I am on a job, the more vulnerable I am to being caught by Walker Enforcement. Are you going to buy the eggs or not?" To emphasize his point, he looked at his watch and let his expression become slightly impatient, be still professional.

Karamrr laughed darkly. He sounded coldly amused. "You are truly new in the business." He said, stirring his drink a little as the little balls of ice clinking softly. "Walkers cannot just enter the Dragons' Den. Only through a Balancer. That Plane is forbidden now. So tell me again. How could mere-"

"The Crack." Amethyst spoke, she was alarmed now. How would an Eighth know about that? He must have inner help-further in than I thought. "Icarus' branch family head discovered one in the volcano he bought."

"Last time I tried," Karamrr put his drink down hard, but his tone was calm. Bad sign. "That Crack was sealed by Cleaners as ordered by that witch."

Amethyst knew it was her he spoke of.

"What generation are you? I've never seen you in Midpoint either." Karamrr said, calling for a waiter. "Bring me a Blessed Plum Sunset."

Amethyst's eyes widened. There was a change in the atmosphere. They know!

Bennett sighed, and finished his drink. He looked at Brachus now tired, defeated. He shrugged as though it no longer mattered. "Fuckit. Charade's up."

Moving purely on instinct now, Bennett whipped out a pistol, and let off two in between Brachus' eyes, killing the Eighth Gen Walker on the spot, mission be damned. Grabbing Amethyst by the waist and flipping the cold steel table on it's side, he engaged in a firefight with the too numerous guards. He somehow knew it was a trap from the moment they passed the red velvet, but his hope and his pride kept him from recognizing it until he was already at the table. Then he had to play through. He pulled out another pistol, a twin. "Mission was fucked from the start. Bastard knew who we were, he was expecting us. Now figure out get us out of here, there's no dirt and ammo goes quick." He brought down another two as four more came in. This was going to be bad if they couldn't get out quick.

Amethyst had morphed back into her female form. "It's crazy, he must have an insider! Eighth gens are not that knowledgeable on these things!" She made some waving motions and a portal opened. She grabbed Bennett's arm and jumped right in.

They stumbled into Midpoint, jumbled together on the ground. Amethyst rolled and got up. She threw off the blazer she was wearing. "Bennett, I think we're being followed." She said quietly. "I'm not sure why but whoever's following us is taking their sweet time. Either me or you."

She looked around in panic. "Oh no-the eggs!"

A portal was opening somewhere just a little nearby. Amethyst held Bennett's arm and whispered a short incantation. A blue circle illuminated on the ground around them.

She put a hand over her mouth in surprise. A slender figure stepped out calmly from the portal that opened. He wore a Cleaner's gear, all white work suit.

He held the two suitcases of the Dragon Eggs surprisingly easily, as if used to it. He walked onto another portal across the hall and disappeared.

"A first class Cleaner." Amethyst gasped as she stood up, "That was very stupid of him too. He's up to something. But it's almost like he wants to be chased. Everyone knows there's always someone in halls. Bennett, I think your first mission is going to be with me. We have to find out what's going on."

Bennett dusted himself off, finding yet another hole in his suit. He grabbed a few handfuls of dirt from a nearby potted plant and poured it into his pistols, refilling their ammunition. "Alright," he said, holstering his pistols, "Let's go then."

It was surprising. The moment they had followed the portal the rogue Cleaner went into, they were met by a warm and sunny farming village. There was a mill just at the end of the road. The Cleaner walked on the dust path, not minding the summery heat.

"What's this?" Amethyst said, bewildered. They were among apple trees not so far from the road. "For an illegal trade, this isn't what I'm expecting." She dropped the long sleeved shirt, leaving on a cotton tank and the slacks from earlier. "I hate this kind of weather."

She gestured for him to follow, staying covered in the shadows of the trees. "This is an Earth where pretty much technology and poverty is dominant. A happily sad place." She relayed information she recently received. "I've no clue why he'd bring that here."

Bennett looked around. This was noting like his home. A rural place in some parts, yes, but not as happy. It was often grey weathered in his home.

"Probably for that specific reason, that you'd have no clue why he'd bring them here." he rationalized. It wasn't exactly what a normal person would do, but then again, who the hell has he met so far that could be considered normal?

"Excellent point." Amethyst agreed, stepping over roots and dodging a few branches. "That or the fact that this place isn't Walker-friendly."

She waited a little for Bennett to catch up when she explained. "It's a term most of us use to indicate which Planes acknowledge Walkers and which ones don't. The species here aren't accustomed to things they can't explain. He might want to...expose the eggs here."

They watched as the Cleaner entered the mill. "I'm not sure we could go in there yet. This sucks, waiting in this sunny heat."

Bennett waited next to her, using his hand as a visor to keep the sun from his eyes. "I suspect we shouldn't. If that Cleaner was the inside man on the buy-bust, I'm sure he knows we'd follow him, too. Best to wait and see what happens. I could earth-spike him through the chest, or the dragons, if that be the case, but the ground here is less easily manipulated. Compact soil. I could maybe do one at a time." he looked over at her. "Whadda you think?"

"No, no!" Amethyst said urgently. "If you kill him, we lose our lead." She peeked again, seeing nothing but darkness inside the mill. The harsh sunlight of this realm indicated a rather poorly coordinated environment and it messed with her sight. "I know this is weird but there seems to be a lot of people. In there. Or something. I can feel it."

She looked around impatiently. She paced for a while, thinking of a plan. Then she stopped. "Bennett, can you feel the ground to know if there's a secret room underground?"

Status
Not open for further replies.