5. Douche
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
  4. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Science Fiction, Post Apocalypse, Horror, Romance, Survival...
This is spawned off of @Minerva 's thread about common words people don't like using. It kept getting brought up, so to avoid further derailment, I moved the discussion here for those who wish to have it.

Please play nice. The staff have much better things to do than to stare at people wanking about their linguistic superiority because they don't use one word or another. Focus on the topic, don't attack each other personally, and we should all be cool. :ferret:

I'll crack things off with a response I had to someone else, who is obviously particularly verbose. (That is a compliment.)
The word "very" is actually just one of those English words which seems like a basic filler word but actually has meaning. It actually comes from the Latin word "verus", which means "true", and has the same roots as "verification" - to verify is to give proof, to prove true, usually of a person's identity or opinion. The word "very" should mean "truly". To call someone very beautiful should mean they are truly beautiful, it's supposed to show either honesty or verification of the speaker's opinion. Of course, over time, the word has been used so much that nobody really thinks about its original meaning, and has now come to simply give emphasis to a word and seems like an incredibly bland or lazy word, which isn't helped by the fact that it is always used sarcastically too, but it is one of the more honest words of the English language in my opinion.

The word I hate the most is "faggot". It is such a disgusting, vile word, and anyone who uses it instantly disgusts me. If I were to have a partner who used this word in a serious context, I would seriously consider ending the relationship. My second cousin once visited my house and called one of my first cousins a faggot and I slapped him right there and then. We haven't spoken since. I do feel bad, it was impulsive, but I stand by my actions. I can slightly tolerate the usage of the word amongst people who are close friends and use it jokingly, or even lovingly (if that's even possible) - for example I am friends with a gay couple and one of them call the other a faggot as a joke now and again - but I still cringe when I hear it. The only time I will use the word is when I'm stating how much I hate it, like now, or when I'm playing a character in a roleplay to whom usage of that word is realistic / believable.
Yes, "very" did used to mean something different than its modern incarnation. However, if we're going with "common words you don't like" I picked words which had a different meaning in conversation than they have in the dictionary. Same as "privilege" or "offended" used to be fairly innocuous statements that, thanks to modern politics, are now loaded words.

The word "faggot" used to mean a bundle of sticks. In Britain, it is slang for a cigarette. Britain also uses the word for a type of food. "I am going to cook a faggot" is a legitimately inoffensive term in Britain, as it likely refers to the food item and not the North American slang for male gays.

Anywho, time to throw in my two pence about vulgarities in general.

Vulgarities woo!
#1: Vulgarities are ordinarily the language of the proletariat. The reason vulgarities are looked down on by society is because the high brow constantly try to find ways to appear and behave more civilized, or more appropriate than their more impoverished, commoner peers. Those that aspire toward the likeness of the wealthy and celebrities, ape and imitate them--which is why fashion constantly evolves, and why slang words are frowned upon in more... Upper class company. It's all a game of catch-up starring the rich who want to be unique, and the poor who want to be just like the rich.

#2: Vulgarities will always exist because language constantly evolves to provide them. Alternative meanings to words constantly appear--like "faggot" for instance. Even if you were to successfully eliminate words like fuck, shit, faggot, cunt, pussy, dick, asshole, and so on, new words would take their place. The advent of the Internet for instance also brought about language filters--so that if you're playing an online game, your opponent can't call you a fucking cunt. Instead he calls you a ******* ****. So the Internet invented new slang to insult people with, like "cuck" or "noob" or so on.

A particularly vicious example is Jaywalker. Jaywalker has no offensive connotation today, but back in the day when it was coined, a "Jay" was a racial slang term primarily oriented toward people of Romanian, Hungarian, Polish, Austrian, and Albanian descent. If we made up the term today, it would be the equivalent of saying "niggerwalker" or "pakiwalker" or something equally grotesque.

The best way to handle these words is simply to understand the environment you're in. Don't use them in places like high brow culture or academia, but using them in places like among friends is usually fine--so long as your friend is okay with it. Use vulgarities to draw particularly special attention to something--they're expletives, after all.

Ex: I injured myself.
Ex2: I fucking hurt myself.

Waaaaay late to this, but on the subject of swearing/vulgarities in the military:
I'm not, nor have I ever been in service, but as an outsider I think it makes them seem more relatable somehow when they swear more. I dunno, I guess it's the nervousness that comes with being surrounded by such rigid rules and command structure- when a higher up swears, it relieves some of that tension to see them like that and may be even a bit funny.

Prime examples (bless you reddit, and the people who steal your stuff to make articles):
29 Soldiers Reveal The Funniest Thing A Drill Sergeant Ever Said To Them.

Reactions: Thornapple
Or in reference to the Bastard Bowl. :P
As a non-American, I have no idea what this is. But the Battle of the Bastards is something I would definitely have managed to get away with if it had happened before my parents stopped commenting on my swearing.

Also, who doesn't love a good old bastard sword?

EDIT FROM JUST 30 SECONDS AFTER POSTING THIS: Wow, I'm an imbecile! After a quick google search, I just realised that the Bastard Bowl and the Battle of the Bastards refers to the same thing. Dios mio. On a similar note, Cleganebowl will have a delightful amount of vulgarity involved if it does ever occur!

Last edited by a moderator:
When speaking, if I'm not swearing I'm not talking. There are words that I don't say (by habit more than out of respect) like cunt. However, when I write I try to leave vulgarities out of the mix, as they are too easy to rely upon and what I'm trying to do here is build upon my vocabulary.

EDIT FROM JUST 30 SECONDS AFTER POSTING THIS: Wow, I'm an imbecile! After a quick google search, I just realised that the Bastard Bowl and the Battle of the Bastards refers to the same thing. Dios mio.
lol XD

Well Battle of the Bastards is the more popular name for it, so you don't go too hard on yourself. :P
On a similar note, Cleganebowl will have a delightful amount of vulgarity involved if it does ever occur!
Considering the Hounds there? More than bit.

Get hyped!

I suggest moving this to the GoT Thread though if this goes any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.