Viridos, Chapter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sevoret Umilas

Sevoret held such high respect for blacksmiths because they supply the survival weapons that she possesses. She wouldn't want to imagine a world where blacksmiths were not of existence. Though there was absolutely nothing wrong with hand-to-hand combat, there were just some battles in which you could not fight in such a way. The fury of a wrought iron or steel weapon was, in some predicaments, what one needed. It was as if it was yesterday that she remembered receiving her prized twin daggers from a blacksmith.

"I thank you for holding my position in such high esteem, Huntress. However, I am also a business man and I see an opportunity before us. A business proposition of sorts, if you were interested. I don't tend to go out a limb, but you seem like a honest enough person," Khanaan proposed. And Sevoret was greatly pleased by this. Though she was no recognized and highly recommended merchant, she would be honored to arrange a something between the two of them that would be beneficial. So, the huntress smiled and nodded her head.

"To arrange a deal between the lot of us would be pleasing. What dares the mind?" Sevoret said.

Reactions: Spire
Ayanne Marshden, green
"Anyway, Miss, dun tell ye don't wanna change fings. We all do... It shouldn't be like this."

"I wouldn't say I don't want to change things," Ayanne murmured in response to Spring, "But rather that I don't want to do so with one of those . . . The shear power that comes with wielding one, or so the stories say . . . If I could do anything I wanted, I fear what sort of ideas might pop into my head. Just because a person can do something doesn't mean they should. Of course people doing idiotic things is partly what keeps me in a living so maybe I shouldn't be complaining." She offered him a reassuring grin.

"As for being a Hero," her smile turned into a puzzled frown, "I sincerely hope you're wrong about that. In my experience heroes are the ones who end up dead." She un-tucked her hat from behind her belt, settled it on her head and stuffed her braid up into it.

"I am glad you think so. What I had cooking up in my brain was the something of a barter. If you were two sell some of your more lucrative products at a special discount, that I would be willing to do the exact same for someone who took me up on this offer."

It was an honest offer. He would be getting better food for eating and she would be getting better weapons for killing. Some might say that that might not be the safest deal. However, those people should see his stock before flapping their gums. Khanaan Hardhoof and Hammy have fashioned a lot of weapons in their career. There aren't many udder blacksmiths that could best him, but he was still rather young.

"What do you say?"

Sevoret Umilas

Sevoret awaited his proposition, genuinely interested in this trade. She did not doubt that the exchange would be fair. She hadn't a reason to think otherwise; Khanaan seemed to be a fair anima blacksmith. This could be the start of a business relationship that would be mutually promising.

And with her last words, Khanaan continued.
"I am glad you think so. What I had cooking up in my brain was the something of a barter. If you were two sell some of your more lucrative products at a special discount, that I would be willing to do the exact same for someone who took me up on this offer."

"What do you say?"

She was pleased with the idea, thought it would be a good business deal.
"What a pleasant trade, Khanaan. I take it upon myself to accept," Sevoret smiled.

A pleasant trade, indeed, my Sevoret, Nahsahr thought.

E'rdaan, darkgreen
Elven Rogue close up.JPG
No luck with food, the Forest Kin decided to explore Riven. It'd been a while since the last time he had just been able to explore his surroundings. The intricacies of the place intrigued him, as did the thickness of magic in the air. Again, E'rdaan could have sworn the place made by Ilium herself. He had sent Skraak off to find some place nearby to eat or a possible client. The spider soon returned.

"Girl. Tree. Weary. Follow." hissed the arachnid. It leaped off, scurrying through the village and trees. Darting almost as quickly as the Aux, E'rdaan stopped next to the small creature on a branch over looking a black-haired girl and a mystic construct of ink, likely her own Aux. "Girl. Weary. Climbing. Can't."
"I understood you, Skraak." the assassin whispered to the spider. "Ey, you! Girl! My aux tells me you've hit trouble getting up at tree. Need some help?" he asked the girl, dropping to a lower branch and coming to eye level with her.
Skraak closeup.JPG

Kozoul, Viridosi witch & Riven bee keeper
Onboard the Sea Wraith

The moment the yellow dust had put down the girl Kozoul slid back behind the hulking masses of the Sea Wraith's crew. Peering between elbows and torsos, the witchling saw the black spore cloud hovering as they passed by. Relieved, she hurriedly made her way back down to her bunk, nonchalantly taking the spore mask off and slipping it into her sleeves. Kozoul looked over her tiny quarters and set about compulsively taking inventory of all the items she had brought with her onboard. After comparing the last ounce and checking it off in her ledger, Kozoul flipped through it to a blank page to begin jotting down the spell she had used above deck.

She had only casted it in Riven, on unsuspecting rodents and other small vertebrate animals. The commotion at the wheel was the first time she had casted it upon a human. The effects on larger vertebrate mammals had to be properly recorded, Kozoul secretly dreaded the prospect of using the same spell on the crew members.

In the quiet dankness of her room, Kozoul shriveled at the conclusion that she would also have to consult Lady Ironblood about the procedure of future instances that would require magical intervention amongst their band. Most of the materials and components she had brought were for the defense of their party and the offensive countermeasures meant for who or whatsoever impeded their mission. Not many of the things the half kin brought could be mixed to produce results similar to what she had done to the girl on deck.

This was trouble waiting for its opportunity to surface. She desperately needed to talk with Lady Ironblood but ever since the spore cloud, the high alchemist had been busy attending to things not in her sphere of concern. She knew better than to interject upon the Lady's doings. The spindly witch sat hunched over in her hammock, swaying along with the ship as it cut through the sea's currents. There was another thing she had to concentrate on, the girl she subdued. That would be troublesome as she was taken below decks and was under guard. She had to observe her and take note... preferably without the subject's knowledge.

They should be anchoring somewhere soon, the wood was only so thick as to muffle out the quieter conversations and seafaring folk had a tendency to shout. They were in unprotected waters from what she heard, presumably near enough to the object of their mission to get off the boat.

Foolish little half-elf. You are far outside the reach of the Riven tree. Farther from the safety of the Hive. Farthest from the boundaries of which your ken encompass. You will die out here, witchling.

Hagmother Drala's words, not spoken through the old woman's mouth but through the half-kin's own projection rang throughout Kozoul's mind as it had through the start of the mission. Kozoul squeezed her eyes shut, shaking her head. Instead, the witchling busied herself preparing for the departure from the Sea Wraith.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aela's questioning words received no response from Valyrin, beyond a slight narrowing of his eyes to let her know he had no patience for such things at the moment. Even if the words were uttered without expecting some form of answer in return. Thus he remained silent, cold eyes locked on the woman as she rubbed her temples and cleared her throat.

At first, when she spoke again and referred to him as 'Cappy', he scowled in annoyance. Still, he listened quietly as she spoke. Only after she had risen and met his gaze once more did he break his silence again, "Perhaps if you hadn't siezed the wheel of the ship, in the middle of a crisis, you wouldn't have had one of my men nearly ripping your arms off," arching a brow as he continued on, "Perhaps if you hadn't proceeded to injure one of my men you wouldn't be sitting in here right now," eyes narrowing once more, "You are lucky your actions didn't lead to unnecessary deaths," falling silent to give those words a chance to sink in.

When she offered her pledge of allegiance, and freee boarding in Riven for any of his people, his expression was unreadable. Making it unclear if he even considered such things of any value. For several moments he simply studied her as he weighed all of what she had said in his mind. Finally he nodded once, more to himself than to her, his tone of voice neutral as he spoke again, "I am inclined to believe that your being on my ship is merely an unfortunate accident," his right hand finally falling away from the handle of his wakizashi, "However, that does not condone your actions during the incident with the spore cloud," it was something he could not just forget.

Slowly he began to turn, "Open the door, I am ready to take my leave and let the prisoner eat in peace," those words spoken to Malachi.

As the door was opened, Valyring paused for a moment and glanced over his shoulder at Aela, "I will think further upon what you have said, and the things you have offered. For now you will remain here, under guard. Make no further trouble and perhaps you shall avoid a trial upon our return to Hosia," it was the best he could offer for the moment.

Then, without further hesitation, the half-Kin stepped out of the cabin and strode away. There were other things to be seen to. Especially with the return of Lady Ironblood's scouts. With Ilium's blessing things would go smoothly and they could be on their way back to port soon. His men deserved an extended break and he would be damned sure they got it when this was all over.

Buhn was still trying to figure out what to do. She really needed to speak to the tree as often as possible, but with her arm and hand the way they were at this very moment, she almost didn't dare go further down the branch-ways. The risk of running into something that she couldn't handle was to great now that she was hurt. She had started to head back upwards when she jumped. Swiping her spear in front of her with her good hand, her breathing unsteady. This, man, whatever it was suddenly appearing in front of her. Maiin hissed as he turned into a dragon and floated around her head, his claws attached to her shoulders.

She then heard the words the man said finally after a few moments, she pulled her weapon back but kept it at the ready, no chances. "I'm mostly well, and there are branch-ways up to the top. I had been trying to go down actually." She sighed and ran her bad hand through her hair, which made her wince. "Sorry for drawing my weapon, one can not be to careful in the wilds. Even this close to a city. Isn't that right Maiin?" She smiled at Maiin, petting the now dragon shaped tattoo and chuckling. "My Buhnwanah, you are quite correct." Maiin growled, staring straight at the newcomer with obvious discomfort. The tattoo only ever took the form when it felt Buhn was in danger of being attacked. "And I believe you should go get your wounds checked by the potion master, if they are available."

She knew that she ought to do that, but something about this, man, made her want to stay and ask him to help her. The only problem with that being that deep inside her, she couldn't quite figure out why she didn't feel comfortable with him. Maybe it was the way she hadn't noticed his presence until just moments ago. She then wondered if he'd been watching, but she had looked all around and hadn't been able to see anyone so there was no way. She put her spear back away and sighed as she walked past him, "Unless you are able to help me with some of my bigger wounds, I'm not sure exactly how you could help." She bit her lip as she cradled her hand to her chest, it hurt worse than she thought it was supposed to. She really did hope that it was just a twist or a sprain. Though she could have also pulled more than a few muscles.

Maiin floated around her head protectively. She started up the branch. It was up to the man if he wanted to follow her up or not. She started to feel bad about how she had treated him though. Though he was a stranger, he had tried to help her. She looked up at the canopy, it was a longer and harder way up than it was down. She looked back at the man, "
Maybe, a little help up the steeper steps might be in order." She said apologetically. She hoped she hadn't offended him too much. Maiin whispered in her ear, "Just be careful My Buhnwanah." Buhn chuckled and whispered back, "I promise I will be careful."

E'rdaan, darkgreen
Elven Rogue close up.JPG
The smile forming on E'rdaan's face was hidden by his oak mask. It was cute to see such animalistic and self-protective ferocity coming from such a pretty girl. Did he just think she was pretty? Ah, well. He thought lots of females were pretty. "No harm done. I know exactly what ye be talkin' about." he assured her.
"Skraak, mark a good pathway for me and Buhnwanah." E'rdaan commanded of the spider. He turned to the girl as Skraak began his decent, leaving a ghost-trail of luminescent webbing. "You're name is Buhnwanah, right? Or did I mishear the little shape-shifter 'round your head?"

He hopped up, landing on a branch not too far above her, ready to help if needed. "Name's E'rdaan. And the little beast leaving the trail is Skraak."
Skraak closeup.JPG

Last edited:

Within the hour they had assembled and loaded the row boats. With Niyashi flying ahead and Sprig guiding their way through the water, they rowed shoreward.

Kozoul and Ironblood were pressed close together in the small vessel. There was an almost palpable silence between the witchling and alchemist. There was something that each wished to say to other, but they lacked the words to say it. Ironblood opened her mouth to speak, felt her tongue go dry. "The Captain told me how you saved that sailor's life—and that of his captor. Your magic is strong. You could have easily poisoned her, or bent her to your will."

"Your hag and hive are far from here, Kozoul. But it is clear you have not forgotten their teachings."
The witchling felt uneasy away from her homelands. It would be difficult to adjust her powers to such alien surroundings, but the knack would come. Ironblood did not doubt her judgment in these people around her. They had proven capable in the midst of danger, even when she had fallen.

The water fey guided them to a cove recently exposed by the receding waters. The screech of sea birds echoed endlessly through the cliffs as they landed their boats. From the water, Sprig waved one webbed hand, sending them off. "Oy! When ye' ready fer' me to guide ye back, jus' give the signal!" The fey disappeared under the waves, turning back to keep watch over the Sea Wraith.

They had to move quickly through the jungle, for it was rapidly decaying around them. To stop for a moment meant sinking into the sludge of rotting wood and insects covering the jungle floor. What was most jarring was the complete absence of living things, save for the toxic fungi glutting itself upon the forest's corpse. This jungle was a grave.

There was a pang from Ironblood's Aux, the frequency of regret. She looked to her right, at Ayanne, and from the healer's expression, it was clear that this scene was hurting her, as well. "What you said about having such great power; that was wise. Calla has taught you well." The alchemist kept her stride, despite Ayanne's glances. She wanted to know how it was Ironblood knew her grandmother.

She said quietly as they weaved through brittle foliage. "Fifty years ago, Calla Marshden was one of my mentors at the Riven Tree. She was a half'kin, like me. The only half'kin to have her position."

"Seventy years ago, she saved my life."
Ironblood was quiet for a time after that, pondering as they walked, then added, as an afterthought. "Perhaps it is my fate to always owe a Marshden my life." If Ayanne didn't know any better, she would think that Ironblood was thanking her.

Gomyar stopped, and the other's knew to stop with him. Sevoret, readied her spear, waited for him to signal her to attack. It never came, he only bid them to be silent. He was listening for something that could not be heard. That was their only warning before something invisible tightened around their necks and drew them forward, through the brush. Unbidden, they were pulled to a sickening presence. Dark magic was working itself on them, into their minds.

Gomyar bowed his head, performing strange motions with his hands; serene in the face of their horror. The words echoed as he chanted.

असतोमा सद्गमय ।तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमय ।मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय

They fell to their knees choking, clutching at their throats. Ironblood realized that she had been weeping.

"It is strong magic," Gomyar peered down at his hands, they had been burned black. "I may not be able to keep purifying it."

Ironblood straightened herself, wiped the tears from her face. "We will be ready, next time." Above them, Niyashi circled, signaling that they were upon the monolith site.

"Perhaps." Gomyar parted a curtain of dead vines.

End of Chapter One

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.