Viridos, Chapter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ash of the Heartwood
Morning, the sunlight brushed against canvas, painting the blackness of night in red. Once the paint soaked in the gods added orange, white, and eventually blue. The forest they painted green, the Prosperous River a murky brown, and soon the brush found Ash and Cora.

They saw no beauty in the world this day and even as the hues of their bodies grew brighter in the morning sun their eyes were still dark with terror. Almost no sleep had come to them and standing was all they could do to get some energy. They spread their arms wide, Cora mimicking Ash as she did every morning when he got up early to eat. Of course what Ash was doing wasn't really eating but it was easier than explaining to non-kin folk that all he needed was sun and water.

Cora loved doing this ritual with him, it made her feel like they were truly of one mind. She could feel the energy flowing through her, the same energy that flowed through him. The power caused them to heave a sigh of relief in unison, stretching their arms over their heads before looking at each other. They had a good laugh after that and suddenly the light returned to their faces. The night would never last forever, the sun would always come to fill them with it's very soul.

Cora's eyes blinked happily, the small flowers in her branches stirring as she shook her head back and forth.

"Playful this morning are we?" asked Ash as soft laughter past his lips. "Shh-" she whispered "Listen." Ash turned his head for a moment, his antlers following his head back and forth as he listened. The sound of water flowing but it was not the sound of a river. This sound was more like water crashing down..."We're close!" they shouted at once before Cora flew forward in a hasty run. Without skipping a beat the undertaker followed suit, his hooves galloping through the woods as he gave chase. She darted back and forth playfully through the trees, occasionally cheating at their game by passing through one but it did little to help her. Ash's instincts were as sharp as ever as he passed all obstacles with little resistance. Ducking under branches, leaping over rocks, and even some time swimming in the river.

"Do you hear it? it is getting louder!" shouted Cora as she ran across the top of the water. Ash's powerful legs kicked hard as he swam after her, she was finally gaining some distance on him. Of course she couldn't go too far and once she hit her limit she turned to wait for him. By this time Ash had found the shore and was trotting at a moderate pace, his eyes no longer on his Aux. When she realized his attention was elsewhere she turned as well, the same expression of awe on her face as she saw it.

Edelon, the beauty of the capital was stunning they knew but every time they saw the massive waterfalls there was a sense of peace that poured over them. They watched wildlife roam the streets as elders walked by, speaking of some storm...it didn't sound like anything that needed immediate attention.

"We must find him," Ash said as he began to walk through the streets. Cora followed at his side, she wasn't afraid to be out and about in the capital. This was a place for all life to live peacefully Crux and Aux alike, she found herself smiling at a turtle when she felt Ash's intensity.

"I think I found him," Ash said nervously causing Cora to look up at him with a confused expression on her face. "Where?" she asked curiously but he didn't respond...he just kept staring as their heart thumped faster and faster and faster...

run...run...run...run...

"An' thah gods fell down an' thah Aux stood up, and everyone was 'appy cos thah Cataclysm stopped! But thah trees got sick, an' thah rot spread quick, and we aaaaaall feel back into thah graaaaaavy!"

Sprig turned a corner and tripped on his cloak, tottering a little but keeping the plate upright. On it was a shriveled fish, crudely smoked by Konkon and garnished with sea grass. It wafted a cloud of steam, through which only the fairy's song and his gleaming red headband could be sensed. His webbed feet made uncertain slapping sounds on the floor as he sought to find his land legs.

After a moment the hobbler stopped abruptly and looked up at Malachi, who was leaning against the door where Aela was imprisoned. The man had black smudges on his hands - traces of charcoal and other powder. Sprig grinned and held the plate up. "Some grub for thah prisner, Mistah. Cap'n Valium says we gotta keep 'er alive, so we can take 'er back for trial and wot not. 'E reckons it'll be a Silsang Trial - y'know, where they stick em on a Corren branch and the sap turns colour if yer tellin' porkies."

Malachi stared down at the water fey.

"Anyways, ah was finking, is it a crime ta stowaway on a ship when it ain't goin' nowhere nice? Ah mean, we ain't in bleedin' Avarath gettin' a back rub. So 'ow can Cap'n Valium say she's abusin' their hospitality when it ain't bloody hospitable to take anyone to these dregs?"

Malachi continued staring.

"Ah'll just...er... leave this 'ere then." Sprig placed the fish plate on a stall then backed away from the undercover pirate, blinking at him all the way.

* * * * * *​

WHUMP!

Sprig tripped on his cloak and fell up the stairs onto the main deck. It was a bright violet day, the sun caught on toxic clouds that painted sea and forest pink. Behind them, along the coastline, the trees were a black cancer where the spores had hit. And up ahead, a mile from where they had anchored, the weirder coasts of northern Viridos awaited. This was where the Green Nation met the Blue, and rocky terrain began to peak beneath the roots. There were also stranger plants - things neither fungus, animal nor flora, and of bizarre colours beyond nature's usual palette.

His brother Twiglet called these the Shroom Lagoons. They were places where you would feel like you were tripping... even when you weren't tripping.

He had never swum this far north.

"'Scuse me, Sir? When are we goin' 'ome?" He asked a sailor who strode right past him with a crate on his shoulder. "Ere fellah! You, with the eye-patch! Can I--" Another sailor knocked him over with a roll of canvas.

The hobbler crawled the rest of the way to the forecastle, dodging sailor boots and rolling aside as an Avian came screaming out of the sky to land on the deck. "Aaaagh!" Finally he got to the table where Lady Ironblood was studying maps and hid underneath it. With his back against the table leg, he adjusted his headband and cloak.

"You betta be careful takin' thah rowboat out, Miss. There's Jollo Frogs in these parts. Get too close and they'll stick their tongues to thah bottom o' yer boat. Rots the wood, ye see? And gives yer shetanus disease if yer nick yerself on it." He peered out and up at Ironblood, knowing he wouldn't see home again until this tall woman had found her shiny rock.

"Ah can lead you out, I can, and get yer through them Shroom Lagoons. It's wot us 'obblers do. All I need is a shiny penny."

He grinned greedily.

Ironblood nodded to the avian courier as she draped her Aux around her neck. "Thank you Niyashi. Rest your wings a moment, we'll need you to scout from above." Both women started when a screeching blue shape stumbled under the makeshift work table. Ironblood moved hastily to steady her instruments and maps before they could fall. She breathed a small sigh of relief that her treasures were safe, then looked downward at the wide face peering up to her.

It was telling that the hobbler felt safer on a ship than in the sea. The Sea Wraith was sailing in unprotected waters, after all. There were bound to be pirates or the ships of other nations about. Being anchored this close to the poison jungle and the monolith, pirates were the least of their worries.

Sprig grinned and Ironblood saw just how valuable he would be.

"Cor'!" Ironblood suddenly exclaimed, her tone and mannerisms changing to suit that of the water fairy. "Take us 'cross, can ye?"The half'kin retrieved a copper piece from within her cloak and held it out to Sprig. "There's a 'hole sack o' pennies for ye' to play lookie for the Sea Wraith after we've cleared off." The copper piece shimmered in the sunlight.

There was always a dissonance in communication among Forest Kin of opposing elements. One's ways and words always seemed strange to the other. They inhabited two different worlds most of the time. It did not change the fact that they were of the same organism. It was the duty of the Prophet's disciples to be able to commune with all who dwelled in Viridos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sevoret Umilas

The black cloud had long since passed. On the night, many things had transpired. In the advancing of the black cloud, an unknown, unrecognizable woman had apparently jerked the Sea Wraith off its original course, sending it northward. This had caused Sevoret to loose her balance. Her feet were swept away, and Sevoret had found herself falling to her side, her body being jolted to the side of the boat. She had been too uncertain to get up, considering she could very well fall again and her bump into the side of the ship had nearly taken the breath out of her.

When she had looked to the quarterdeck, she saw something interesting. It had been a girl, who Sevoret could now identify as Ayanne, who had her hands set to Captain Valyrin's shoulder blades. Sevoret saw the unfamiliar, to her anyway, glow that clued her to the conclusion that he and she were performing an advent. But it was strange......because the power Ayanne must have been feeling seemed to wash over Sevor, soaking into her pores, giving her the strength that she so required to stand to her two feet.

Bloody hell. What a night........

Since that time had laid in the passed, the girl who had shifted the Sea Wraith was put into holding. Word has it that after the Viridosi navy ship makes dock back at Hosia, she would undergo trial shortly thereafter. Sevoret seemed perplexed by this. Hadn't the girl done a kind-ship? It had helped the ship and those on it, in her opinion, though Sevoret suffered a blow or two. However, she'd rather experience back pain than a black cloud, whose toxins would be bound to torture the boarders' insides, condemning them to their fate.

It is of no concern to us, my half-kin. Just so long as you survive, Nahsahr sent his thoughts to Sevoret's psyche before separating from the Crux.

"I acknowledge this. It is but the captain's decision. However, I am entitled to opinions that I make, no?" Sevoret replied, arching a brow at her calm-speaking Aux.

"Very well, then, Sevoret," Nahsahr replied. The two were at the main deck, and just as Nahsahr spoke, an avian soared in, making her landing. She had brought news that the object of the Lady's expedition was found.

By this time, Sevoret had discovered the Monolith was the source of their search.

Konkon stumbles slightly across the ship, offering an easy wave to the sailors he passed. He bumped into a few on the way, emitting a hiccough and a quick: "Shorry!", making his way from the kitchens near to the door where the cells were. He took out his bottle, taking a long, glorious swig of ale.

Glug, glug, glug.

He sighed happily, stepping forward: his foot catches on his tail, and he stumbles, stumbling to the feet of Malachi. "Ahh! Shorry! Shorry!" He stumbles, trying his hardest to get to his feet. He eventually rolls over to grab onto the cabin's door handle, 'climbing' up it to stand.

The smell of rum proceeded him by a good bit of time as he swayed with the ship. "Dunno why the water-imp insisted on takin' this food down too the pris'ner. Sshh' the job o' the cooks to provide food fer folks." From behind his back, he pulled out a freshly-caught fillet of flatfish, fried up and seasoned with garlic and lemon. To the side, coils of small squid tentacles and a slice of lemon lay, sizzling enticingly, quickly switching it out with the previous dish from earlier, whispering: "Now, I ain't much of a cook, but I hope this'll give you some respite. Fox Anima 'ave a reputation fer hospitality, yah?" He grinned impishly, placing the new dish down and pouring a wooden cup of his very own rum, placing that next to it. He rose his bottle in cheers, offering Malachi a cup as well. "Drink?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Spire and Tegan
Khanaan jolted, as the metal bounced off his muscled boob. He looked over to Sprig, who was having himself a small rant. Apparently, the little one has been having quite the time lately. Still, he threw the new mask back at its creator.

"I made this for you..." He said, whimpering and quivering in the lower lip region.

Tears welled up in his eyes before he coughed and turned his attention to the hostage situation. He didn't know why or how this came about, but it was swiftly handled with a smidgen of magic. Another crisis averted with accidental inhalation of foreign materials. He huffed and went back below deck to check on his little area and tidy up, if need be.

--------------------------------

He had been laying on his spot, as the hammock decided to give out. Khanaan had to repair the floor board his horn had put a hole in. It wasn't terribly uncomfortable, but he would probably fashion a better hammock out of something more capable of holding him up. This material needed to be found first. The Bull Anima slowly stood and gave a good, long stretch. Slapping his face, it was time to get some fresh air.

A nimble, avian scout had just landed, giving him reason to pause. That collision would have been bad for them both. Moving past, and giving a nod, Khanaan stood out at the edge of the main deck, looking inland. He could see a tribal looking warrior just sitting, deep in thought. He didn't want to disturb her but a conversation was certainly in order. Not many of them had happened between him and any others other than what they needed from him. Turning slightly, giving a friendly posture, the blacksmith smiled and posed a question to Sevoret.

"So what were you hoping to get out of this expedition?"

Reactions: Spire
Ayanne Marshden, green
"You made a fool out of me," an exhausted Ayanne had told Lady Iornblood when they had found her, taken care of her head injury, and Ayanne had been left with little choice but to offer the woman her own cloths. "If I had known you were one of the immune I could have focused my attention elsewhere. As the attending physician of this party those are the sort of things I should be informed of beforehand. You can't expect other people to give me those details. . . Not even Gra- Calla . . ." but that conversation was long over. When the healing work had been complete Ayanne had taken refuge in one of the spare hammocks in the main bunk room and fallen into a deep and dreamless sleep. A sleep she desperately needed in order to recover properly.

A hand shook her awake, one of the sailors. "You should get up, Miss," he told her, "The scouts the Lady Alchemist has sent have found something." Ayanne groaned, but sat up, taking only a moment to straiten her cloths and run a brush through her sleep tangled auburn hair. "If I may," he started, "what you did, helping the Captain like that, you saved us all. you're-"

"Bovine Patah" she grumbled, but there was no heat in her voice. Tucking her hat behind her belt and grabbing her bags she made her way up on deck, braiding her hair back away from her face as she went. It was the hat that did it, convinced everyone she was younger than she was. Something about the way she looked when her eyes were shaded. Still, she wasn't nearly as old as one might expect upon hearing the reputation of the "Great Calla's" promising former apprentice. Not that age mattered anyway. Skill, a clear head, a good memory, and steady hands. That was all she needed.

Finishing her braid and letting it hang over one shoulder, she quickly found her way to the forecastle where it seemed people were gathering. The High Alchemist stood talking to . . the name of the hobbler was Sprig wasn't it?
"They suit you," Ayanne told her, talking about the cloths, stifling a yawn, "so why do I get the feeling you're not entirely comfortable?" She didn't expect a response.

Last edited:
Sevoret Umilas

Sevoret was about to go to question the Lady, Ironblood. However, she had been stopped. Nahsahr looks up to her, and she down to him. "An anima seeks you," Nahsahr says, his tail curling and flicking about in the Viridosi air. Sevoret looked down at Nahsahr, a curious manner about her countenance. She turned to seek a bull anima head her way. She didn't quite know the bull's name, however, that would be soon to change, Sevoret thought?

"So what were you hoping to get out of this expedition?" the bull would ask her. Well, just what was she in search for? Adventure? Danger? A new tale to tell the peoples of Riven? None of this! Sevoret was in not much in search for these things, though she most certainly received such anyhow.

Such the understatement this would be, Nahsahr thought. He had already rejoined with Sevor by the time the bull gained in proximity.

"For adventure and dangerous travels, no. But, merely because I felt it a duty to say yes to my Lady, Ironblood? Aye. I sought nothing, but I desired to help if I was of any use. Excuse me, my bull anima, but what be your name?" Sevoret said.

Edelon pennies were the roundest and the shiniest. Sprig forgot all about Ironblood's terrible Water Fey accent.

"Aw yis, Miss. Ah'll keep me peepers on thah shallows, yis I will."

He folded his fingers around the penny, then clutched it quickly to his breast as Ayanne appeared. She asked an odd question to the other tall woman, and didn't seem to want an answer. Land creatures were terrible at conversation. Sprig put the penny in his eye-socket and squinted to hold it there while looking up at Ayanne.

"Yew got a loh of strange people on this boat. Ah reckon yer on a secret mission. Mam always said we'd have to blow up Pegulis one day. Yew got a poison bomb on 'ere? Thah Gomyar thing who don't talk much - is 'e gonna blow up? Me brother Twiglet says it's not them Kaustiran lot we 'ave ta worry about, cos at least we can see 'em. Smell 'em too. But ain't no one can see behind them ice mountains. Could be all kinds o' stuff in Pegulis."

He put the penny in his mouth and blinked at Ayanne. "Li'e 'aah 'I'ine Wea'ons 'eyre 'indin." He spat it out again, rubbed it on his cloak, then tucked it in his pocket. "Twiglet says only thah pure of 'eart will be able ta use 'em. Maybe you, Miss, wot with yer ship steerin' heroics."

Nodding, he accept her answer as a genuine response. At the very least, she was nice enough to not mock him for looking like something to be slaughtered for meat. Though, admittedly, he would probably go well with a side of potatoes and peas. Maybe a little butter too. Trying to get his mind back into the conversation, he shook his head slightly and smiled.

"Khanaan Hardhoof, Hosia blacksmith. Your Lady Ironblood sought out a talented quartermaster and ended up calling on the anima before you."

He lifted his hands up, as if to present himself to a Queen. Wanting to only be some help was noble, but she seemed to be a bit more complicated than that. However, personal topic can be discussed another time.

"May I ask for your name in exchange? Are you as strong a warrior as your appearance suggests?"

Ayanne Marshden, green
"Li'e 'aah 'I'ine Wea'ons 'eyre 'indin."

Ayanne snorted. His mouth may have been full of coin, but she had understood well enough. Like all the weapons the people of Pegulis people were hiding indeed. Wait, there had been another word in there. Had he said . . . Ayanne snapped her head around to look at Sprig, calculating. Had he said Divine? As in he believed there was a Divine Weapon hidden there?

"Twiglet says only thah pure of 'eart will be able ta use 'em. Maybe you, Miss, wot with yer ship steerin' heroics."

"I'm no iamu hero," she answered him pointedly. "I did what had to be done. Nothing more. You want someone to praise, praise the Captain. Besides, I'm a healer, not a soldier. I'm in the business of saving lives not ending them and if one of those . . . weapons," light she couldn't even bring herself to say it! ". . . did fall into my hands I wouldn't know what to do with it even if my heart was pure enough, which I seriously doubt."

She sighed as she looked out towards the shore and the unknown jungle beyond. "Besides, there are other concerns to worry about at the moment. When do we go ashore? and what's waiting for us when we get there? for example."

Last edited:
Sevoret Umilas

Sevoret had been looking at the bull strangely. He had appeared to have spaced out. Sevoret was a bit amused, but the anima seemed to shake it off. In fact, he shook his head as if to rid himself of his thoughts. The bull introduced himself as Khanaan Hardhoof. He was a blacksmith from Hosia. And when he held her hands up to her, Sevoret smiled kindly.

"May I ask for your name in exchange? Are you as strong a warrior as your appearance suggests?" Khanaan asked her.

"An interesting tag, it is," Sevoret began. "The name is Sevoret. Sevoret Umlias, although feel free to just call me Sevor. And I am a huntress, actually. From Riven. And a bit of a taxidermist; I make sell in Hosia from time to time. However, if need be, I can hold mine own like a warrior if need be, if I were to say so myself. And such an honor it is to stand in the presence of a blacksmith." Sevoret was humble and honest with her words, no matter how they seemed to come out. She placed a hand to her steady-beating heart, lowering her head before bringing it up again.

Last edited:
A Seth and Rosie Collaboration

Aela held her sword to the sailor's neck, a single bead of blood being drawn from the man's tanned neck as she glared right back into his eyes. Everything seemed to slow down in that moment as she threatened the man's life before her. The woman was in no way new to the reality of killing, any man could see this from her balanced stance as she held her ground. The woman had been trained as one of Kaustir's deadliest before she had run from her sentence as a traitor.

"Treasonous bitch."

The sailor spat through his teeth as he pushed away the blade with his finger, moving to approach her once more. With a single flick of her wrist and bend at the knee she brought back the blade and slashed through the man's shoulder.

"That." She lowered her chin, one amber eye trained on the man. "Is a warning."

Valyrin would have sagged with exhaustion after his advent had come to an end. However, exhaustion didn't immediately over take him thanks to Ayanne's efforts. As the ship continued northward, escaping the brunt of the spore cloud, he turned to face the problematic woman that was now causing further problems with a drawn sword.

When she proceeded to slash the sailor that was trying to secure her once more, a look of sheer anger played across the half-Kin's features as he shifted to place a hand on the grip of his katana. No move, however, was made to draw the weapon just yet, "Sheath your damned weapon, woman. Before you make things worse for yourself than they already are," the tone of his voice making it clear he expected to be obeyed. Especially by one who was clearly not part of the crew. In fact he was fairly sure this woman wasn't even part of the expedition group Lady Ironblood had summoned.

Captain Valyrin looked haggard from exhaustion, the kind that follows the use of an advent as he spoke addressing her. "Sheath your damned weapon, woman. Before you make things worse for yourself than they already are," Aela hadn't but glanced in the direction of the captain as her glare was kept unwavering on the sailor before her.

"Do as the captain says Wench."

Taking a breath, she suddenly felt lightheaded and weak on her feet. The flat of her blade wavered as the ship began to spun in an interesting manner. Olane danced in and out of her vision as she lowered the weapon that had suddenly become too heavy for her to lift any longer.

For a few moments longer, Aela stood her eye catching the captain's before she fell to the deck. Consciousness lost as the poison took its effect.

The woman didn't seem ready to give up so easily, despite her situation. Surely she didn't want to die here and now? Unless, of course, she was a spy, maybe even an assassin? Those thoughts were shoved aside as he kept his gaze leveled on Aela, ready to draw his blade if needed. He was about to repeat his command, but paused when she seemed to waver. His eyes narrowed in the brief moment she made eye contact with him, before she made friends with the deck.

Without hesitating Valyrin promptly ordered the woman secured, divested of whatever weapons she might have, and locked in one of the cabins below deck. Orders were also given to ensure there would be a guard at Aela's door at all times until they got back to Hosia. When he had the time he would pay the woman a visit. She had a lot to answer for, and if he did not like the answers... Well, he was known to lack mercy for those he considered an enemy of Viridos.

The grey finally dispersed from Aela's lids as light from a crevice in the ship's hull filtered down directly into her face. And with the slow waking, came the aching deep within her skull that throbbed along with the rocking of the ship. Groaning she turned to her side, attempting to clear the fogginess of her vision. The net of the hammock she had been laid in causing already quite the aching in her joints. Had she been knocked out cold? Aela couldn't recall the slightest details of what happened for a full twenty minutes as she came to.

"Some grub for thah prisner, Mistah. Cap'n Valium says we gotta keep 'er alive, so we can take 'er back for trial and wot not. 'E reckons it'll be a Silsang Trial - y'know, where they stick em on a Corren branch and the sap turns colour if yer tellin' porkies."

Flinching Aela heard a strange accent flooding the cabin she was in, which she had found to be locked and guarded by a man who smelled faintly of explosives or something along char. Using the wall to boost herself from the floor she stayed where she was for a few breaths.

"Anyways, ah was finking, is it a crime ta stowaway on a ship when it ain't goin' nowhere nice? Ah mean, we ain't in bleedin' Avarath gettin' a back rub. So 'ow can Cap'n Valium say she's abusin' their hospitality when it ain't bloody hospitable to take anyone to these dregs?"

The woman was taken aback for a moment as the happenings came flooding back to her. In a moment of panic, she patted the side of her leg where her sheath had been and felt her heart drop. Verin was gone, as were her cards. Slamming her hand against the wall she felt out for Olane, and only felt the distant touch of his existance. Whatever had happened, the aux wasn't able to make it in the cabin. Aela was now held prisoner, and for what?

"Ah'll just...er... leave this 'ere then."

Aela heard the soft chink of a plate hit the bit of a slot that fed through her door just as the annoying voice faded down the hall. She couldn't help but laugh a bit at the man's comment, he did make a fair point. But something was nagging at Aela's mind, what on earth was so important about this trip that she had been knocked out and imprisoned. There had to be something else going on, and Aela was playing at the edges of it without even realizing. Hell, she was just an innkeeper for Ilium's sake.

"Now, I ain't much of a cook, but I hope this'll give you some respite. Fox Anima 'ave a reputation fer hospitality, yah?"

There was another sound at the door, but Aela kept her forehead against the wood of the wall eye closed as she tried to stay calm. The smell of rum and fish causing her stomach to growl, she really could use a bite to eat and something stronger to drown this headache. The thought was tantalizing, and the more she thought about the liquor just outside her cell door, the more it was harder to ignore. Striding over to her door, she wrapped her slender fingers around a bar and caught sight of a fox anima that looked to be in a constant state of a drunken stupor and the much too serious man he raised the glass to. What lovely company. Finally, Aela grabbed up the cup of what she hoped was Rum, and was rewarded the warming and gratefully numbing effect the alcohol granted the woman. However it was no kresnik, it would have to do.

The fish smelled tantalizing as it sat on the cell door steaming, beckoning to her empty stomach. She hadn't eaten in litterally days, having survived on the stale biscuits she had kept for Nix. And with that thought, a catlike smile crossed her lips. Nix.

"Oi, Fox, do you think you could be sparing a prisoner of the Virdosi Navy a spot more of rum?"

Aela called out from within her cell as she held out the small tumbler. Her tone was calm, but haggard. Whatever the substance had been, Aela had reacted a bit worse for wear. Surely the rum would perk her up just enough to be able to face whatever trials she would be facing in the coming days. At least Remy would be able to take over the Inn without much heartache.

Last edited:
Previous Day

After they managed to escape the spore cloud, and the wheel grabbing, sword wielding woman, Aela, had been secured and locked away in a cabin below deck, Valyrin had remained on deck for some time. Ayanne was sought out and thanked for her support while he wielded his advent. Shortly after making sure all was in order, and Lady Ironblood had been seen to, he left the deck in the capable hands of Commander Rhys and retired to his own cabin before exhaustion could overwhelm him.

Present Day

As Lady Ironblood's scouts returned with news of the Monolith, Valyrin was moving below deck with one destination in mind. The cabin holding the trobulesome woman that could have been the death of them all. Never mind the fact her actions had set in motion the events that ended with the Sea Wraith escaping the cloud of deadly spores. He had questions and they would be answered well before any trial could be held in Hosia.

As he approached his destination, he took note of the fox anima that had been brought on as a second cook. While he was unsure of the reason why they needed a second cook, he did know Konkon did a fine job despite the amount of rum he seemed to consume. The sailor standing guard was an unfamiliar face, though. One of the men that had been brought on shortly before they left port, due to a few of his regulars growing sick due to some water that had gone foul in one of the barrels.

Valyrin offered nod of greeting to each man, "The prisoner's hunger and thirst will have to wait until I am done with them," motioning for Malachi to unlock the door to the cabin so that he could enter, his right hand resting easily over the handle of his wakizashi.

As the door was open, the captain stepped inside, focusing his intense gaze upon Aela, "I have questions. You will answer them. Failure to answer them will ensure that you do not make it back to Hosia for trial," the tone of his voice made it clear that those last words were more of a promise than a threat.

Without even waiting for the woman to say yes, or offer up a snarky remark should such be in mind, the half-Kin continued on, "You are not part of Lady Ironblood's expedition crew. Nor are you part of the Sea Wraith's crew. Who are you? Who do you work for? Why are you on my ship?" His expression was cold as those questions were fired off in rapid succession. The whole time his right hand remained resting on his wakizashi. The shorter blade was best for the close quarters of the cabin.

Konkon turned his hazy gaze from Malachi to Aela, distracted from the somber male for a moment. His tail swished in the excited manner of a fox, stepping over to the door of the cell. "O'coursh!" He grinned, filling up her cup when presented... he taps the rim of the wooden cup in a toast before taking a grand swig of the bottle - still filled about halfway. A stylized letter eight lay on it's side: the label on the bottle. He sighed happily, going off in conversation: "A cook poursh their heart an' soul inna every meal, so I 'ope that one's a good'un: I pulled some fish right outta the ocean jus' fer the importan' people in the ship: which means you as well, fer the moment." He winks, his tone implying just a touch of flirtation... another trait of the fox anima that often made the breed the but of rather raunchy jokes.

He hiccoughs, heading back to rest his back against the wall facing the cabin. "M'Konkon." He tilts his head, offering a sympathetic: "'Cha doin' on a Navy ship anywho? The Captain of the ship ish a rough-an'-tumble type, yah? Lotssh o' victories unner his belt. Some nasty stuff too, but tha's what war is: nasty stuff." He shrugs, perfectly content to gab away. "I'm jus' a cook, though. I like cookin'... an' fishin'." He grins, tail moving side-to-side at a faster pace. "An' drinkin'! Hah!" His laugh was a sharp bark, which quickly devolved into a repeating titter, hand holding his muzzle shut so it wasn't as loud as it could be.

He shut his yap as the Captain arrived, however, straightening up as best he could - even while wobbling a little. He replied with a: "You got it, sshir." ...Right before getting 'lost in his drink', distracted from the conversation.

"O'coursh!" Aela grinned and nodded appreciatively to the fox, clinking her cup with his in an unspoken thank you. As he gulped down the mind numbing elixir, Aela did the same just before she slammed the cup down with a soft sigh. The rum was finally working its magic as it relieved the headache that haunted her skull. Leaning against the wooden door she meets the clever eyes of the anima. "A cook poursh their heart an' soul inna every meal, so I 'ope that one's a good'un: I pulled some fish right outta the ocean jus' fer the importan' people in the ship: which means you as well, fer the moment." He winked, but it had no effect other than
amusement for Aela as she simply nodded turning her back to face the other side of the cabin.

"M'Konkon, Cha doin' on a Navy ship anywho? The Captain of the ship ish a rough-an'-tumble type, yah? Lotssh o' victories unner his belt. Some nasty stuff too, but tha's what war is: nasty stuff. I'm jus' a cook, though. I like cookin'... an' fishin'. An' drinkin'! Hah!" The fox found it appropriate to continue on with his chatter as she leaned back on the door. So his name was Konkon, how appropriate as it rolled off the tongue much like liquor in its own respect.

"The prisoner's hunger and thirst will have to wait until I am done with them,"

A new voice, however familiar, boomed from the holding outside her door. And so the inquistor came in all his mighty glorified captain hood. Pushing herself from the door before she could be slammed to the floor once more, Aela prepared herself for the worst as she leaned on the back wall. Captain Valyrin stormed in, his eyes steely and cold as an inquisitor's. But not as sharp.

"I have questions. You will answer them. Failure to answer them will ensure that you do not make it back to Hosia for trial," Aela simply met his intense gaze unflinchingly as he carried his airs of authority. Something that did not effect Aela as she hadn't accepted any figure of authority in quite sometime. Aela was a survivor and a traitor to her family. What use had she for a captain.

With his hand placed on the shorter weapon, a good choice for such close quarters, he fired off a fine group of questions. "You are not part of Lady Ironblood's expedition crew. Nor are you part of the Sea Wraith's crew. Who are you? Who do you work for? Why are you on my ship?" Aela simply crossed her arms, hair covering half her face she answered each question clearly and honestly. The tone of a soldier.

"I am Aela Isyma, an innkeeper which in saying only means I work for myself. As for the reason I am on your ship, I was looking for a shipment that was supposedly on your ship." Then Aela uncrossed her arms and approached the captain, standing on equal footing. "And may I just say, as a captain of the Viridosi Navy, your security is terrible."

Sprig clamped the penny between his teeth and gripped the table edge, pulling himself up with a grunt. He landed on his back, splayed across Ironblood's maps. A glare from the woman made him quickly reconsider, and he shuffled to the edge while still looking at Ayanne.

"Bloody 'ell! Whah 'ave you lot got against 'eroes? Whenevah ah mention 'eroes people get all pissy about it and ramble on about 'ow they ain't 'eroes. Then they say loads'a stuff that's exactly wot 'eroes would say. It's daft, it is."

The fairy pulled his oversized cloak around him and looked out to sea, where the weird northwest shores gleamed with virulent colour. "Dun tell me you ain't never thought of it, Miss. They say them Divine Weapons is wot 'elped the gods make things. They could stop time, they could. Move mountains. Bring thah dead back ta life and create summat out o' naffin. Imagine wot ye could do."

He crossed his arms and sat there as Ironblood studied her maps. "I'd bring me mam back, if I 'ad thah chance. She died. Summat grabbed her foot and... well... we should'nt'a been out there, near Brisker's Cove. There's dead things in thah wa'er. A lotta gods died there, they said. Mam only came out cos me and Twiglet ran off... I ... "

The hobbler's words became jumbled. He sniffed and snuggled deeper in his cloak. "Anyway, Miss, dun tell ye don't wanna change fings. We all do..." His headband flashed with imagery, moving like molten dregs within the metal. A woman's face, fluid and graceful. It faded as he looked again to the poisoned horizon. "It shouldn't be like this."

"I am Aela Isyma, an innkeeper which in saying only means I work for myself. As for the reason I am on your ship, I was looking for a shipment that was supposedly on your ship." The woman had said without showing a sign of being intimidated in his presence. Either she was a brave one, or a fool, Valyrin's opinion would be made soon enough on the matter.

"And may I just say, as a captain of the Viridosi Navy, your security is terrible."

The half-Kin didn't bridle at Aela's little comment about his ship's security. Lack of security had nothing to do with things, and he knew it. The day the Sea Wraith had returned to port with the navy had been a hectic one, with many strange faces coming on board while his crew rushed about making preparations to depart once more without a break. Dumb luck had played its part there.

His cold eyed gaze remained focused upon her as she stood there before him with confidence, his expression unchanging as he spoke once more, "What would ever lead a simple innkeeper to believe that whatever shipment they were waiting for would be on a naval vessel?" arching a brow, "Did the Sea Wraith look like a ship that would be transporting random cargo for an innkeeper?" Apparently he wasn't so ready to believe Aela despite her apparent honesty. It all seemed quite ludicrous.

"What would ever lead a simple innkeeper to believe that whatever shipment they were waiting for would be on a naval vessel? Did the Sea Wraith look like a ship that would be transporting random cargo for an innkeeper?" Aela listened to him, and without speaking she turned around and paced a few feet away until the cabin ran out at a chair. Sitting she crossed her legs and leaned her head back, sighing.

"Well captain, what would lead any sailor, Man or Anima, out into these waters?" She tipped her chin once more to look back at the captain who didn't seem quite so pleased with how things turned out. "These are strange times, strange times indeed." Aela knew that something was urgent especially in the way the navy had left, and the strange faces that had been crowding the boat for the last three days. It wasn't as if she hadn't already risked her life boarding a navy ship, but they had literally avoided death by spore and acid. And now she was being questioned by the captain as if she stowed away on a rich Avarathian merchant's ship instead. Rubbing her temples she cleared her throat, wishing Olane were here to help her out today. Though she didn't know whether or not she would even have the starting energy to do so. With a simple change of tone, the merchant in Aela came crawling out.

"Cappy, I can say I am unawares of what is going on here. Hell I found it a tad off to hear the navy had just arrived and I saw you myself turning tail back into the sea." Aela continued, "Now I don't see the harm of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and then having my arms nearly ripped off by some burly sailor with half a mind to kill me." Pouring as much reason into her voice as possible, she tried to push the fear of being a prisoner for the rest of her life out of her mind. "And to be honest, I am not the strangest soul on this ship. At the very least I don't reek of something suspicious other than the fact I am a stowaway. I can promise ye." She stood once more and looked Valyrin dead in the eye. "I am nothing but an Innkeeper, and a damn good merchant. That you can have my blood oath upon."

With that, it became clear what she must do to get back to Riven unscathed. "Captain Valyrin, I am a good sword. I pledge allegiance to you and your sigil until we port once again, just spare me my life and my freedom." Thinking a bit more, "And free boarding in Riven for any of your outfit." Laughing softly she looked away and spread her hands. "That is no bribe if that be what your thinking, its a business transaction and a hell of a good one for a sensible Navyman."

Last edited:
It might be wishful thing, but Khanaan thought it would be on the side of wonderful if they had exchanged goods before. After all, he made things that she needed to hunt. Blades being at the top of the list. And she hunted things that kept him fed. It was an indirect, mutually beneficial relationship. The sheer fact he had not met her Hosia was a bit baffling. Huntresses must be a busy bunch, among being dangerous.

He smiled, at the idea that being a blacksmith would earn sincere words from a huntress. That is two strikes in favor of him believing that she is a worthy woman to try and get to know. There were others that seemed fine enough. Konkon and Sprig being the ones in that group. Sprig was a clumsy bastard that he seen as a bit of a little brother. Almost literally, if they were related. Konkon was just fun to be around, even if he had an obvious drinking problem.

"I thank you for holding my position in such high esteem, Huntress. However, I am also a business man and I see an opportunity before us. A business proposition of sorts, if you were interested. I don't tend to go out a limb, but you seem like a honest enough person."

Khanaan leans into the side more, giving a sincere smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.