Underappreciated Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starship_Troopers_-_movie_poster.jpg

While I don't consider this a masterpiece, I do quite like this film. Both for its elements of political satire and its over the top violence.
Its a great movie really. The satire is spot on...

Its a great movie really. The satire is spot on...
I hate that movie. It's one of my husband's favorites and I am forced to watch it whenever it's on....

I hate that movie. It's one of my husband's favorites and I am forced to watch it whenever it's on....
You hate great things, this is allready established :P

But no. The movie is fairly campy. But its intelligent satire put into a incredibly cheesy sci-fi flick.

Death Becomes Her.

One of my all time favorites. Very divisive. On one hand, Meryl Streep, Bruce Willis, and Goldie Hawn starring in a satire on the search for eternal youth and very silly dark humor. On the other hand... very silly. It didn't make much at the box office and it sort of fell off the map for several years and became a cult classic.

iUVt5jp.gif

Death Becomes Her.

One of my all time favorites. Very divisive. On one hand, Meryl Streep, Bruce Willis, and Goldie Hawn starring in a satire on the search for eternal youth and very silly dark humor. On the other hand... very silly. It didn't make much at the box office and it sort of fell off the map for several years and became a cult classic.

iUVt5jp.gif
Iloved that movie. The ending makes me laugh every single time.

Death Becomes Her.

iUVt5jp.gif
I remember watching this movie when I was younger, and back then, I already had an appreciation for these kinds of plots. I love how it's funny, dark, and incredibly memorable. Meryl Streep was amazing in this film.

Anyways, for me, an under-appreciated movie would be...

Rushmore by Wes Anderson. I love the writing of this film and the adventure of the protagonist. Also, Bill Murray. They say the best Wes Anderson movie you'll ever watch is your first one -- and they're right.

And...

Seventh Seal by Ingmar Bergman. Dark, thought-provoking, and grim. Man's questions about life and death, playing games with death, and all that fun stuff. The writing is brilliant, and I feel like I can quote at least 80% of the dialogue in this movie. It's a very layered film, and a good one to watch if you like digging deep into the story and analyse it.

Bubba Hotep.

Clay-Pigeons-.jpg

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Joaquin Phoenix but while he's great in this he's not the best part of it. Vince Vaughn is. He's absolutely brilliant as his character, it gives me hope that he'll kick ass in True Detective season 2. The film itself will keep you watching to see what happens next. There's a lot of really dark comedy in the film as well, that might be my favorite part of it.

MV5BMTU0NDE5NTU0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzI1OTMzOQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Yeah, I know, Michael Bay, his Transformers films are not that great, but Pain & Gain is my favorite of his films. It's ridiculous, dark, hilarious, so over the top, but with (thankfully) less explosions than his other films. I'm not sure how to describe it beyond that.

large_wcJH9j3pYGioSE7peka2zwjJfaq.jpg

I have no idea how this film went under the radar so much, it's absolutely brilliant with titanic performances all around. This includes excellent writing and a thrilling plot that will keep you watching, there's so much suspense, I was on the edge of my seat throughout. It contains the two best performances I've seen from Jake Gyllenhaal and Hugh Jackman (No, I sadly haven't seen Nightcrawler yet).

MV5BMTc0NjI2OTYxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTcxMjkyMg@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

I should admit the Watchmen graphic novel is my favorite piece of literature ever, but I love the film almost as much. Snyder absolutely nails it. The film is breathtaking to watch, the actions scenes amazing, the soundtrack great, the acting solid all around (Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach especially). I think a great thing that was done with the film was that lesser known actors were cast in it, no big stars. Going into it for the first viewing I hadn't heard of any of the cast members. This bodes well for the film as the actors are able to completely become the characters.

Clay-Pigeons-.jpg

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Joaquin Phoenix but while he's great in this he's not the best part of it. Vince Vaughn is. He's absolutely brilliant as his character, it gives me hope that he'll kick ass in True Detective season 2. The film itself will keep you watching to see what happens next. There's a lot of really dark comedy in the film as well, that might be my favorite part of it.

MV5BMTU0NDE5NTU0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzI1OTMzOQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Yeah, I know, Michael Bay, his Transformers films are not that great, but Pain & Gain is my favorite of his films. It's ridiculous, dark, hilarious, so over the top, but with (thankfully) less explosions than his other films. I'm not sure how to describe it beyond that.

large_wcJH9j3pYGioSE7peka2zwjJfaq.jpg

I have no idea how this film went under the radar so much, it's absolutely brilliant with titanic performances all around. This includes excellent writing and a thrilling plot that will keep you watching, there's so much suspense, I was on the edge of my seat throughout. It contains the two best performances I've seen from Jake Gyllenhaal and Hugh Jackman (No, I sadly haven't seen Nightcrawler yet).

MV5BMTc0NjI2OTYxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTcxMjkyMg@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

I should admit the Watchmen graphic novel is my favorite piece of literature ever, but I love the film almost as much. Snyder absolutely nails it. The film is breathtaking to watch, the actions scenes amazing, the soundtrack great, the acting solid all around (Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach especially). I think a great thing that was done with the film was that lesser known actors were cast in it, no big stars. Going into it for the first viewing I hadn't heard of any of the cast members. This bodes well for the film as the actors are able to completely become the characters.
I really agree with you about Watchmen. That film was beautiful, dark, and stylish. It deserved more hype during release.

Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut).

Status
Not open for further replies.