Underappreciated Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Razilin

Original poster
As a counterpoint to Worst Movies Ever Made.

rocketeer.jpg

SO UNDERAPPRECIATED

Also:

th

Young Jennifer Connelley.

<drools>

Cloud_Atlas_MTI_FINAL.jpg

A lot of people complained about the movie, but I thought it was pretty good. The music was amazing.

the-way-way-back-2013-04.jpg

This movie was absolutely wonderful! I didn't hear anything about it until it was on HBO and I caught the last half hour of it. It was actually really cute.

Those are the only two I can think of.

The Hobbit Trilogy

Reactions: MrSandman and LeVen
Cloud_Atlas_MTI_FINAL.jpg

A lot of people complained about the movie, but I thought it was pretty good. The music was amazing.

of.

Oooh, I loved that movie! Me an' my bro watched it twice in a row so that we could better appreciate the links.

I also use the piano soundtrack to help me sleep every night.

Reactions: ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ
I also use the piano soundtrack to help me sleep every night.
Yes! The soundtrack was amazing! The stories were interesting, and trying to piece everything together made it even more enjoyable to watch. I don't see why so many people had a problem with it. The acting was outstanding, but considering how many good actors were involved, I'm not surprised. Plus, I love just about any movie that Tom Hanks is in, even That Thing You Do....

Yes! The soundtrack was amazing! The stories were interesting, and trying to piece everything together made it even more enjoyable to watch. I don't see why so many people had a problem with it. The acting was outstanding, but considering how many good actors were involved, I'm not surprised. Plus, I love just about any movie that Tom Hanks is in, even That Thing You Do....
From what I've heard, the main issue people had with it was just that there was so much to keep track of, that it got confusing and wasn't worth the effort.

But, like you, I enjoyed the complexity because it gave me another good reason to really immerse myself.

Every Nicholas Cage movie >.>

220px-Tremorsposter.jpg

It's Kevin Bacon... need I say more?

large_6qXNSP30QeX4HUUpxSaq7GEH5OB.jpg

>.>

Any and all American Tale movies but this ones my favorite
11155936_800.jpg

@Lawkheart I never would have guessed The Crow to be an under appreciated movie. Just about everyone I know who has seen it enjoyed that film quite a bit.

Though one thing which has surprised me time and time again is how little most people know of the two Clerks movies. Especially the first one, which wrings my mind because I've met so many who have seen Clerks 2 but have never been bothered enough to watch the first film. While I'm on that topic, Mallrats as well. Oh hell, Kevin Smith movies in general seem unappreciated. Chasing Amy is one of my favorite movies which seems to have been swept under the rug over the past so many years.

On another note, three of the classic Westerns partially known as The Man With No Name Trilogy. A Fitful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and finally, The Good the Bad and the Ugly. Though the third is much more well known exclusively because of it's soundtrack, the first two seem relatively unknown, in spite of the fact they led up to one of the finest spaghetti Western's ever conceived. . . in spite of the fact Sergio Leone was sued in following years for basically ripping off Yojimbo and another Eastern Samurai movie.

fountain_ver2.jpg

In my opinion, a beautiful movie about an inability to cope with the loss of a loved one.

Reactions: Holmishire

The entirety of humanity is left as a bunch of minorities akin to gypsies as their home world is annihilated by aliens terrified of what we might do or become.

EDIT

Also, super cool alien designs are super cool. Just throwing that out there.

Labyrinth with David Bowie. That was a work of fucking art to me because while other things didn't manage to scare me, David Bowie in tights defiantly scared me as a child. And it was a pretty good story. I also think Hocus Pocus was under rated.

The entirety of humanity is left as a bunch of minorities akin to gypsies as their home world is annihilated by aliens terrified of what we might do or become.

EDIT

Beat me to the punch! I've been meaning to rewatch that.

• Love
Reactions: Drifter
I can think of a few while I'm here.

Funny Games was a very clever horror/thriller movie. It starts off pretty standard, but it quickly tips its hat to the audience to inform them that this is going to be a fantastic take on a seemingly tired theme. (for you, @Darog)

Mars Attacks! and Big Fish. When people think of Tim Burton, they (understandably) get stuck on The Nightmare Before Christmas or... some of his horrible recent stuff. Mars Attacks! is a fun little spoof of alien invasion movies and does a good job of knocking on the big cliches of the genre as well as being utterly ridiculous. Big Fish, on the other hand, is a movie all about storytelling. Quite fitting for a roleplaying site.

Stardust which IMDb and my gut both tell me is not, in fact, underrated, but lots of people I know have still never seen it. Compared to The Princess Bride, it usually seems to fill in the role of "overshadowed fantasy romance".

These are all pretty mainstream and such, but I believe they still qualify.

EDIT

I love this movie

Starship_Troopers_-_movie_poster.jpg

While I don't consider this a masterpiece, I do quite like this film. Both for its elements of political satire and its over the top violence.

Reactions: Brovo
Status
Not open for further replies.