Transformers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds like a great idea, much better than mine. Once I google this group and learn more about them, I don't see anything else we need to discuss. (Unless you guys come up with something) I'll have character sheets up soon.

EDIT: Well, I couldn't find anything concerning this group of rich people, but I don't think that's a problem. Does anyone want to suggest any names? I'll be looking some up myself, but I'm positive you guys will have better ideas.

basically you want people who own the biggest companies in the world but stay outta the spotlight, you want dont want media moguls, for their power waxes and wanes by the whims of their audience, you want he industrialists, the men that own several huge oil companies, steel companies, men (or women, though the group plays better as the 12 chauvanistic douchebags) who profit from conflict, individuals whose assest increase in times of war, even 'cold' wars.

like i said;
Oil, Steel, Ships, aircraft, land vehicles, mining ore and the refining of that ore and stuff like that, these guys would own multiple companies, and the 12 of them would be from all over the globe, brought together by the power that their immense wealth and avaristic hearts so that they elect presedents and stuff.

(In Scarecrow, there was a shipping Magnate, a guy whose steel places made the steel for helicopters, tanks etc. there was a dude who amde the electronics for missiles and weapons systems, really they can be anyone, just not the Richard Branson 'rule in the spotlight' type.)

The only problem I have with this is the huge focus you all seem to have on the human characters. The whole point of Transformers is that it's about giant Transforming robots. Seriously, how the hell can these twelve moguls be more dangerous than the Decepticons? The moguls have an image to maintain if they want the most freedom to wield their financial and technological power without governments trying to publicly hunt them down. The Decepticons, on the other hand, more or less don't care- they're waging open war on the Autobots, and will do whatever it takes to wipe them out, knowing full well that all they have to do to deal with the little squishy natives is step on them.

To be honest, I thought that was where the second movie started to take a dive- when it started focusing a lot more heavily on the humans, especially Sam and Mikaela. I mean, I get that Sam is supposed to be the hero of the damn thing, but I really didn't give a shit about his and Mikaela's "WHY WON'T YOU SAY YOU LOVE MEEEEE?!" angst-crap. (Now, if they'd focused more on Lennox and his men, it might've been way more interesting...)

That said. While I realize there is a need for human characters- there are always a token group of humans interacting with the 'Bots, after all- I don't see the need for some big-ass organization of badguy humans. Especially when you take into account, just who's going to play all of them? Or is Ryker going to be playing the puppet master like he does with his ISAF? Also, if everyone signs up for human characters to be able to play Primus with the All-Spark Shards in their chests, to play Evil Masterminds, or to play Armyman... who's going to play the heroic Autobot refugees and the monstrous Decepticon army that cause all the Giant Robotic 'Splody DOOM that is the reason most people like the series in the first place? I mean, I realize that Ryker has quite the number of Autobot characters he can play with, but we shouldn't rely entirely on him for that. I can play a couple, but I'd rather not juggle too many characters at once. And so far we have

-Twelve super-rich bad guys
-The Autobots
-The D-Cons
-The various military organizations Ryker and WMD seem so fond of
-and the humans this is all supposedly going to be centered around.

So far, we have a group of exactly four players- for what you've described, unless we're each playing at least half a dozen characters, this is gonna be a difficult game to really get off the ground.

I dunno. I just think that maybe we should try to find a way to make this more doable with a smaller base of players, unless you're confident that you can get plenty more.

Psy does bring up a good point.

Besides, Simon Furman already did the corporation interest in Cybertronian technology.

'Course it turned out The Machination was being manipulated by Skorponok.

i never said the group was more powerful than the decepticons psy, all i was saying was that they are the puppeteers of the words global political strings.

besides, the best uber-villains are NPCs, as they can have minimal interaction with the posters in a physical sense, but their machinations are what the players struggle with.

Fair enough, but the point still remains- what's the point of having this be a Transformers RP if neither the main heroes (since the focus of the story will presumably be following the humans with the All Spark Shards in them) nor the main villains (note that I said main villains) are gonna be Cybertronian? It seems like just another mecha story centered around humans with mechanized weapons, to me.

I'd love to do a Transformers RP, but can't the focus be more on the Transformers, like it is in all the comics and shows, and like it was more or less in the first movie? :/

Hmm. I assumed that this richie group would be NPC's, because I just don't see anyone roleplaying them. They're behind the scenes people, the most they can do when they aren't in the spotlight is sit around enjoying their wealth. Psy does have a point... we shouldn't make it 12 people. 12 is a LOT for one roleplay. I'll be lucky to get 12 players, I think. Maybe 6 rich guys.

Also, I don't intend for the focus of the roleplay to be on the Humans, but on all of them equally. We need NEST, the government, and these rich guys to worry about Human-wise. The Government won't be that big of a deal... they're not an actual THREAT to the Humans. The rich guys might be. I don't think we should have too many of these organizations.

Besides these, there will be plenty of focus on the Autobots and Decepticons, because they're the ones who are fighting over the Humans. If we take the Humans out, we're right back where we started... a bunch of giant robots fighting. I think there should be a plot, and involving Humans is the best way to deepen a plot. Most likely, everyone will choose to be Transformers anyway, so we have nothing to worry about. I myself was intending to roleplay an autobot. The only reason I'm keeping a Sam-OC in here is so that I don't have to rewrite both movies to suit the plot. Waaaay too much trouble for a simple roleplay.

The Government won't be that big of a deal... they're not an actual THREAT to the Humans.

*Insert uncontrollable laughter here.*

You're shitting me, right?

Do you have any idea what can happen if someone in the Pentagon decides that those humans are too dangerous to be left on their own?

NEST winds up becoming an errand force, capturing these people for transfer back to the States and to become subject to countless tests equivalent to alien probing.

So yeah. There you have it. The United States Government should ALWAYS be considered a threat.

lets not forget if you go with the evil dudes route, then the US government is only one of many that are after you.

So lemme see if I got this whole plot down.

You have a bunch of average joes who find that somehow they've managed to get pieces of the All-Spark lodged in their chests, and now two races of giant, badass robots are after them, one group to protect them and the other to exploit and quite possibly then kill them. On top of that, you have NEST chasing these poor bastards too, probably under the direction of the US government so the characters can be 'tested'. And then you got the mysterious conspiracy group of 6 rather rich individuals out to exploit the characters to their own ends, too.

Dude... that's a pretty epic plot you got in the works, there. Count meh in.

Heh. Well, explaining it that way certainly sounds much better.

I'll probably play a Decepticon... maybe an Autobot, depending on how the numbers fall. If necessary, I could make a human character... but for now, I'll stick with a Decepticon.

It's gonna be epic, actually getting to use Mineroller some place...

I have oh so many choices to make as far as characters go.

Just ask Psy, she's seen my team on Seibertron.com's Heavy Metal War.

I love how Iwaku logs me out in the space of time it takes me to write an involved reply. >_>

Haha, maybe I should've elaborated on WHY I think the Government isn't a threat. First of all, I meant that they couldn't risk killing the Humans like other organizations can, but since you've brought up something similar to (and worse than) killing them, something I haven't thought of, let's think about it.

Perhaps the government would do that if it were a real life thing, but I don't think they'll be able to simply whisk the Humans away for probing without serious consequences. Currently, they'd be in a kind of political argument-becoming-stalemate concerning what to do about these Humans. Let's not forget that while the Government DOES have the ability to harm the Cybertronians, it's a very small ability in comparison to the Cyber's ability to harm them. If they took the risk of stealing the Humans away, the Autobots may very well use force on them. Taking them is one thing, but using them as test subjects? The autobots wouldn't stand by and let that happen. (Sure, they let Bumblebee go, but he's one of their seasoned warriors, not one of the pathetic Human beings they have to protect. As for Sam and Mikaela, they either knew or thought that they would come to no harm. There's a lot more at stake in this roleplay) Maybe out of a moral obligation, but most importantly because the Government would be able to get their hands on Autobot technology... again. Also, the Government doesn't stand a chance against the Decepticons if they take the Humans from the Autobots and the Autobots aren't there to back them up. All in all, they will be royally fucked if they try it.

Maybe my logic is flawed, but I can't see the Government being able to simply take them away without any consequences or retaliation, from either the Autobots or the Decepticons. I also just realized that they could take 'custody' of them to use them as leverage against the Autobots, but they wouldn't be able to do any harm to them without risking getting their asses incinerated by the Autobots. So they'd be in as much a bind as the Autobots if they took the Humans. My logic. Feel free to dissect it. xD

Also, I don't want the Government to be the Autobot's enemies. They were in the first movie... in the second movie, they were more like grudging, argumentative allies. The Autobots have to have some allies with standing on Earth, otherwise they might as well just leave, and there goes the roleplay. As for the roleplay, I'm not going to be control freak. There are certain things that need to go a certain way, but otherwise, I'll see how it turns out with all of us manipulating the plot. The beauty of creative freedom. =3 The focus most definitely will not be entirely on the Humans. Basically, if you take the Humans away, we have no plot. If you take the Autobots/Decepticons away, we have no plot. We need both groups, as both are the main focus and we can't roleplay without one or the other. At least not without starting this plot all over again, which I think is a total waste of a creative plot.

I suppose the reason I'd thought that group of villains would be more than just your regular NPCs is because... well, what's the point of the villains being an organization, if there's no in-fighting? I mean, sure, they're a group, and they're united against the Autobots... but they're essentially bad guys. They're greedy and self-centered, that's how they got where they are now, combined with their intelligence, of course. I see a group like that not just working together, but also... trying to one-up each other, in small ways. Nothing that would outright betray the others, of course, since they all have something to lose from that... but little grudges, small traps laid for each other, little maneuverings to try and become just that little bit more wealthy and powerful over the others.

I guess having a group of villains isn't quite so interesting to me without just a little bit of rivalry going on between them.

Anyways, everything else you're fleshing out sounds good. I agree with Ryker that the government sure as hell ain't harmless, but I also agree that they wouldn't antagonize the Autobots- but not because the Autobots might retaliate. Frankly, the Autobots didn't go to rescue Sam and Mikaela not because they were worried about them- at that point of the movie, I don't think they were quite close enough with the two humans for that. Bumblebee was the only one out of the group that truly cared about Sam at that point; the others were worried about him, because hey, he's this human adolescent who just got dragged into their war because of a pair of glasses his great-great-whatever-grandfather left for him. I don't think they became truly attached to Sam until somewhere in the second movie, first because Sam had saved Optimus' life and killed Megatron in the end of the first, and then because of everything he did in the second to help him.

But are we doing this following the first movie, or the second? To be honest, I'd prefer doing it following the first movie- the second was only really cool because of the epic robot battles and all. Besides, because of the Fallen's mass broadcast in the second, you'd have to let a lot of the world be at least aware that something is going on, even if they have no idea what it is. Not to mention the attack on Paris and all.

If you'd already said which one, sorry about this question. Too tired to go back and look this morning. ^^;

(And Thirteen, when you first sign in, you can change the setting for that from "sign in for one hour" or whatever, to "sign in forever". That's what I did. ^-^)

Looked at the first post. Thirteen doesn't state when this RP is to take place.

Oops. I intended for it to follow both movies (sorry, I could've sworn I mentioned that somewhere), because Megatron needs to be alive, but there are several ways to accomplish this, and I really don't like the fact that civilians have absolute proof of alien existence.

I like your analysis of the movie and I think it sounds much better than mine. I would prefer to base it on both movies, just to get Megatron's resurrection out of the way. It'd be an interesting thing to roleplay, but it'd also complicate things. So we could always just kind of twist the plot movie around and only include the first part of the second movie. I want to hear what the rest of you think of this. You all have good opinions and observations.

As for this group, well, we could have players rp them, there just needs to be a lot less than twelve. Maybe six. Maybe four. Just enough for them to fight amongst themselves and cause problems.

Using only the first part of the movie sounds pretty good, but that brings up another question- will The Fallen be involved in this at all? Or are we writing him out completely?

(Also, I would ttly love to apply to be this game's version of Starscream. ^-^)

I'll take this games version of Ironhide/Warpath.

For those who don't know, Warpath was the Autobot tank in Season 2 of G1. His alt mode was an M-551A1 Sheridan Airborne Tank. Any who, he tangled with Blitzwing more often than anyone else.

Y'know, the whole 'I'm a tank, you're a tank, let's fight!' thing.

Wasn't he the one who constantly made his own sound effects while speaking? Like, he'd randomly go "BOOM! KA-POW!" while having a conversation?

Yes, that's him.

One stip of the now defunct Super Deformers had him explain that the reason he spoke in such a manner was due to him watching too many Adam West Batman episodes.

And no, my character doesn't speak like that.

I'd have killed him off if he did.

For your viewing pleasure:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BsXpZ2ncD1w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BsXpZ2ncD1w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hooyah... 'Nuff said...

Status
Not open for further replies.