Status
Not open for further replies.
Nichols smiled, glad to see the children getting along as generally as they normally did. Even Kou and Corin were participating this time, even if both of them were still being distant in their own way. For some time, tea and biscuits were passed around, and idle chat made about whatever it was that managed to fascinate these troubled children. He'd hoped that things could remain like this for a longer period of time, but he knew it couldn't.

Looking up at the clock, Nichols noticed that playtime would be coming to an end any moment. A sigh escaped from his parted lips as he prepped himself for what he was about to do. 'Today...' he thought to himself, preventing himself from running the consequences of his swiftly approaching decision from entering his mind.

Nichols stood and looked over the kids, trying to maintain a calm smile. "Sorry to say, everyone, but tea time is over." Using his hand, he motioned for the children to follow him.

Mira looked into her mirror as she rose. "It's time to go now," she told her imaginary companion. Her voice was almost monotonous, a fact that only affirmed Nichols' decision. "Let's go, guys!" she exclaimed, her words directed more towards Amena and Aiden than to anyone else.

Leading the children along, Nichols made his way towards the crossroad of his decision. He stopped in front of a vent that allowed air flow and turned towards the children, most of whom had a perplexed look on their face. Of course they'd be able to tell that this wasn't the path they usually took to get back to their rooms.

"I have a secret to tell you all, but you have to be quiet about it, okay?" Nichols' voice sounded somewhat sad, but was also riddled with uncertainty. His drowsy expression revealed no emotion, but the flow of his words exposed many. This hallway was the only one in the facility's entirety that lacked a video camera, so it was the only place Nichols' could do what he was about to do.

Mira placed a finger on her lips and acted out zipping them shut, then did the same to her mirror companion.

Leaning down, Nichols' removed a screwdriver from his suit and unscrewed the vent cover. It was low to the ground, and large enough that even Kou would be able to squeeze through. Once the cover was off, Nichols turned towards the children, whose faces were now filled with wonder. Nichols looked at Kou, who he was assuming would be able to figure out what this meant. "I'll be waiting for you all on the other side. We're going to the outside world."

A little confused, Aiden looked at Amena for answers. She had none either and Mira enthusiastically called, "Let's go, guys!"

As quickly as he could, he piled the used plates and put as many cups and saucers to a corner before getting up. "Sorry, I can't stand not cleaning up after myself." He smiled apologetically. "Yes, let's go." He took Mira and Amena by the hands and followed, watching Nichols' back curiously.

Something didn't feel right but his instinct told him not to speak about it. After playtime, they had different activities, as far as he knew. He had memorized the schedules of everyone in the little group. He looked at the faces of his friends and found no answer there too. He opened his mouth to speak but stopped when Nichols halted in front of an air vent.

"I have a secret to tell you all, but you have to be quiet about it, okay?" he spoke, still in his usual tone. Aiden felt his stomach do a nervous jump when the word secret was mentioned. He was the chattiest of the children and was never told anyone's secrets as a result. It excited him and scared him. Why would Nichols share a secret? Nichols may be kind but even Aiden knew that there were things the researchers shouldn't do. Aiden looked around, worried that someone might catch them. He was used to always being watched in the facility that it didn't sit right with him for Nichols to gather them in a corner by the vent.

He squeezed Amena and Mira's hands when Nichols took out a screwdriver, even more questions in his head. He made a confused noise instead of a whole sentence as he tried to keep himself quiet. Aiden knew the tool, he had asked to borrow one so many times but he was always given a plastic toy version. He realized what was going on.

"I'll be waiting for you all on the other side. We're going to the outside world."

"No...but..." He murmured. He let Amena and Mira go and walked to Nichols. "B-but, it's not safe!" He tried to keep his voice down. He glanced longingly at the vent. He would much rather go outside, still. But he was afraid, and it certainly showed with his shaking clenched fists and his doubtful eyes. "What about treatments? What if they find out? They'll take you away!"

Corin didn't understand.
A secret? Why would Nichols tell them a secret? And why did he sound so sad about it? Was it something bad? It must be. He wouldn't act like that if it wasn't. It was a bad secret and Corin didn't want to know about it.

He took a step back, hugging his arms to his chest.
"I don't like secrets."

His confusion only grew when Nichols took out the screwdriver, and even when he began to explain himself, the meaning was somewhat lost on Corin. The outside world was a foreign concept to him. He'd never been there that he could remember, nor had he been particularly interested in it. Besides, weren't they not allowed out there?

"I didn't think we were allowed out there..."

He was scared, and Aiden's words only increased that fear.
Dangerous? He didn't like dangerous things.
And what would they do about treatments?
He needed those!

His eyes welled with tears, and he held his stuffed dog close against his chest.
"Mr. Nichols... I... I don't w-wanna die..."

• Love
Reactions: Banana-senpai
Noticing the distress spreading among the children, Nichols knelt down and placed a hand on Corin's shoulder, though his glance was directed at the entire group. "Nobody is going to die. I've stocked up plenty of your treatment medicine, and I have a nice place for us to stay."

Kou, though disgruntled, approached Nichols and lightly tapped his shoulder. Once he had the man's attention, he spoke. "Too much."

Nichols realized that Kou was right. He was so worried about getting them out of here that he didn't give them any time to react. Of course it would be a lot to take in, when all you've ever known were these walls. Such a thing didn't discourage him though. Their fears were exactly why they needed to experience the outside world. For as short or as long as that experience may be, it was something he deeply felt they needed. That being said, it was still their own decision.

"Thank you," he whispered to Kou, who didn't give much by way of response, but simply gave a disinterested nod. "Listen, everyone," Nichols began, no standing once more so as to look over all the children. "I know it'll probably be scary, but I promise I'll protect you. We have more than enough medicine and supplies to be alright out there."

Nichols paused for a moment to allow the children to let it all sink in. "I have plenty of tea for you, Amena. As well as more cookies than you've ever seen, Aiden." Nichols took another pause, then looked towards Noel and Isabella. "You two will finally be able to experience the outside world that you've read so much about in all those books." Over to Mira now. "And there's a large world out there waiting for you and your friend to discover." To all the children. "It's your decision though. Do you guys want to experience the world, or remain here?"

Mira looked about. She was curious about it, as was her friend in the mirror. They both agreed it wouldn't be much fun without some of their other friends along. "C'mon, Aiden! Amena! Don't you want to have even more tea parties with everyone?" There was a smile on her face demonstrating that she was eager to explore the outside world. She had no understanding of what it really meant to be outside.

• Thank You
Kou watched silently as the doctor reassured the other children. It was all a bit too much to take in. Even Kou, the eldest among this group of children, couldn't help but let a hint of surprise and fear slip through his normally indifferent mask. "And there's a large world out there waiting for you and your friend to discover," the doctor continued giving his reassurances, although Kou was barely listening. Panic bubbled up inside him and he didn't know what to do. It had been so long since he experienced anything other than fear, sadness, and resentment. "It's your decision though. Do you guys want to experience the world or remain here?"

Years ago, Kou would not have thought twice about escaping the institution. But now--now, he wasn't sure. It wasn't that he felt particularly safe here. It was the fear of the unknown that unsettled him. What lay beyond these walls? It had been so long since he had last seen it. So long since he had last felt the warmth of the sun on his face or felt the temperature change with the seasons or seen his family. His family. He could not even remember their faces anymore, but still...

He clenched his fists, letting the emotion flow through him for a moment before taking one determined step forward. It was just a small step, but the look on his face and the way his shoulders tensed up spoke in loud volumes. It was just so unlike him, this sudden look of bravery. "I'll go first," He said, in a tone that was barely above a whisper. He looked straight at the doctor, eyes burning with a certainty that wavered for a moment as if to say, if that's okay.

• Love
Reactions: Wryneck
Corin glanced at the hand on his shoulder. He was not the sort who often sought out any sort of physical contact with others, but he found it comforting nonetheless.

"No one is going to die?"
He stared at Nichols, waiting for anything - a nod, a smile, a simple yes - that would reaffirm the reassurance he'd already heard a second before.

The second he was given it, he reached up to wipe at his eyes, replacing his tears with a smile. While he couldn't fully grasp what it meant to go to the mysterious outside, he was okay with it, so long as he wouldn't die. After all, the outside was where dogs were! And how could anywhere that have dogs possibly be a bad place? He nuzzled his face against his stuffed dog, watching the others out of the corner of his eye, eager to see how they would react.

After Kou's declaration, he raised his hand.
"Can I go second? I'm not scared either!"

Aiden glanced from Nichols to Mira and opened his mouth to speak. He closed it abruptly and gave Amena an uncertain look. She squeezed Aiden's hand reassuringly. "As long as we're together, it'll be fine. You told me this." She reminded him with a small smile. "Don't be scared. We'll all stick together. Won't we, Mr. Nichols?"

"Well, I'll be real here. I don't think much of the outside world at all...we've been here forever. I can't say if it's a bad or a good thing...I don't see any use for it." Aiden scanned everyone's faces. "But we have everything we need here, and everyone we need, don't we? Aren't we risking our lives for something we aren't even sure of? Yes, I am scared. As I should. I don't want anyone to...I don't want to lose any of you guys."

"Please, Ada." Amena sounded a little sad. "For the tea parties and cookies and many many other things we'll all see together. I think it'll be a great idea. Right, Mira?"

Aiden looked at Mira and her friend again and back to Nichols. "I trust you, Mr. Nichols. I really do." Aiden made a quick glance at Mira and Amena then at Kou and Corin and to Isabella and Noel. "We'll need more instructions along the way." He said at last, giving Mira's and Amena's hands a squeeze and smiling. "And would you teach me how to use that thingy too? I'd like to be useful." He looked at the screwdriver longingly. Amena giggled happily and tugged on Aiden to follow Kou. Aiden tightened his grip on Mira.

"Oh, this is so exciting! Lead the way, Mr. Nichols! I think we'll need to hurry." Amena paused just beside Kou, making Aiden and Mira bump on each other awkwardly. He immediately turned to check on Mira.

• Love
Reactions: Wryneck
Nichols felt mixed emotions about the children's resolve. While he was glad they were willing to experience the outside world, he couldn't help but feel that maybe it would be better if they stayed here, where treatment was assured. He had to remind himself that many of them didn't have much longer as it was. What he wanted more than anything was for them to be able to experience the outside world before they...

It wasn't something he wanted to dwell on. The mere thought disgusted him to his very core. This was definitely something they needed. Something they would thank him for once all was done. As the local bum researcher, it was all he could afford them as a final gift.

"Right!" Mira pipped up, simply happy to have the opportunity to experience something new with her friends. She was fine with her room and the play area, but the thought of even more places excited her. "We'll be able to have lots of tea and cookies in lots of different places. And plenty for you!" Her last sentence was referring to her mirror friend.

Despite the resolve of the rest, Aiden still seemed a bit iffy about the idea. If he was nothing else, he was a voice of reason - surprising as that was for someone his age. The researcher looked at the screwdriver in his hand at the young boy's mention of it. "Absolutely," Nichols answered, smiling. "I'll definitely teach you how to use it once we're out safe and sound." Somehow, Aiden's curiosity had reaffirmed Nichols' decision. If he could trust him, then maybe it really was alright.

"Go ahead," he told Kou, who'd asked earlier if he'd be the first to go. "I'll meet you all on the other side with my van. It's plenty big enough for us and all the supplies." What he hadn't told them was that he'd actually spent quite a bit of his savings in order to purchase the van he'd mentioned. Not that money was an object in their current scenario.

"Will it really be alright?" Isabelle asked, speaking for both herself and Naomi. The latter was too quiet towards anyone but Isabelle to ask, so Isabelle was usually the one to take the initiative.

"I promise it will be fine. I've been setting this up for quite some time." Nichols looked over the group one last time as Kou readied himself to go through the vent. "You guys need to see the outside world... I'll see you on the other side." The male prepped to leave for the other side, but stopped and knelt down in front of Aiden. "Keep an eye on them till you're all on the outside. Can you do that for me?"

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.