Through the Mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mrs. Neeson, a kind old lady who had been living for many many years in the small town, answered the door and recognized the face immediately. "Leon," she said without the title. After all, she had known the boy for so long she hardly needed it. She didn't open the door any wider though, considering her current company. "Leon," she repeated, this time her tone more serious, "I suppose you're here under the king's orders." She stated this straight-forward. Not as a question at all. As much as she trusted the boy, she didn't trust the king and she didn't know if the king would use his influence as both king and father of Leon to influence him into certain tasks. "If you're not then come right in," she invited, though the old woman made no move to move.

Meanwhile, Taryn was already far out into country where all there were were scattered farms and nothing but miles upon miles of forests, fields, and roads. She already felt more content now that she was so far out nearing the popular trading town.

Leon blushed deeply as Mrs. Neeson spoke to him in such a cold manner. She never did this, except for when she knew his father was involved. He was about to apologize when he saw the metal worker's little sister. His heart jumped and his eyes widen. His voice came soft and shaky, his eyes conveying the worry to Mrs. Neeson.

"Ma'am is the metal worker's family here? Is she here? Is she safe? I tried to warn her, to get her family out before my father got there... Do you know if she's alright?"

Mrs. Neeson smiled gently, knowing that he was truly just trying to help out the good people. She knew, with the wisdom that came with old age, that Leon would grow to become a great king one day with the care he showed for others -- even when the boy's father got in the way of that. "I am sure Taryn is fine," she assured. "She's a strong girl, probably far up the mountain by now. No worries though, the dragons shouldn't bother her." Mrs. Neeson knew that the dragons up at the mountain were smart and very territorial, but they did no harm to those passing through and townspeople such as merchants like Taryn. The king and his army, however, had much more trouble travelling through the mountains because he was looking to invade and conquer areas nearby rather than pass by. They usually went around the mountain instead.

Taryn, meanwhile, was at a river letting her horse grab a drink and scooping some up into a canteen for herself. She had traveled these paths many times already, and she felt much more content and calm being away from the town now and out in the wilderness. However, she was weary from having traveled so far in such a little amount of time while running on very little sleep. Still, just in case, she didn't want to stop until she actually got to the village, which should only be a day's more travel. Sighing and running a hand through her hair as she put her hood back up, Taryn hopped back onto the saddle of the horse that carried the carriage and led it forward. Now refreshed, the horse galloped into the dense woods.

At Mrs. Neeson's kind words, Leon smiled warmly and relaxed. Taryn. What an unusually beautiful name. He leaned over and waved kindly to Taryn's little sister, then he realized. Once Taryn got home, she was bound to find out exactly who he was and where he was from. She would hate him without knowing him. His heart sank for some reason and he sighed gently, straightening up and letting his hand brush through his hair. Well, he would find out what she thought when she got back. If she got back. She had gone alone, there may be trouble. Leon spoke softly to Mrs. Neeson, worry in his eyes.

"If something, anything, goes wrong... If she isn't back the exact day she said she would be... You come get me. Not a knight, not the king, me. Please. She's... She doesn't need to be out there alone, but with us being strangers and all, it would be odd to just go chasing after her. So please. Just let me know."

The old woman smiled. "Taryn has traveled to many places in her few years on this planet and has had a lot of surprises, both pleasant and not. I'm sure one more wouldn't hurt if you really are that concerned," she explained, though she understood that if he did go find her, his father would know and take action. "But as you said, you are strangers. Her journey isn't long, a few days at most. She'll be back by the time this whole fiasco has died down, I'm sure, and everything will be the same. But yes, I will let you know." She was surprised as to how much he genuinely cared for her.

Leon nodded and backed away, waving a farewell before mounting Triumph and heading back to the castle. Upon his arrival, he snuck in and to his room just in time to gind the rabbit at the window, jumping in and whirring happily. He picked the thing up and put it on the desk, sighing a bit.

"Well, little metal rabbit, it's just you and me until something exciting happens."

(( would you like to do a time skip to when she comes back or when she's in the town? ))

((Yes please I had no idea what I was going to write next!))

((okay ^^))

It had been nearly a week and Taryn had come back to her village with a carriage-load of much needed supplies and a significant amount of money made from trading her forged weaponry. She smiled, satisfied and exhausted as she carted the carriage to the back of her shop and began unloading her new supplies. When she was finished, she snuck on over to Mrs. Neeson's home and upon opening the door, she was greeted by two younger sisters throwing themselves at her. "I missed you guys too," she cooed, ruffling their hair. With the two girls wrapped around her, she looked to Mrs. Neeson. "Thanks for this by the way, and if you don't mind can they stay with you for a few more days? Just until it all cools down for real." Mrs. Neeson nodded with a soft smile and excused herself to give the small family some time.

In the back where her kitchen was, Mrs. Neeson had a little robotic carrier pigeon to which she attached a small note to its leg and sent it off with directions to the castle.

Leon was in the courtyard, sitting on the edge of the fountain and watching the water fall. He sighed and looked around, wishing he had at least one friend to talk to, to keep him busy, to pass the time with. He hung his head and muttered gently as a metallic bird landed beside him and dropped a note on the ground then flapped its wings and squeaked happily. Leon picked up the note and smiled at the bird.

"Thank you, Pompadore."

He opened the note, his eyes widening as he scanned over it and he stood slowly, smile wide. She was back. Well, at least she was safe. He nodded a bit and put the note in the pocket of his jacket then headed inside for afternoon tea.

Mrs. Neeson let out a sigh of relief when the pigeon came back. The girls would be staying with her for now and Taryn was now back at her shop, being pleasantly undisturbed by the king's henchmen. She knew that if they came back to bother her, Taryn would have free reign to do what she wanted to defend herself, and the girl was nothing if not ruthless when it came to the safety of her and her family. And if that were the case, she'd have the cunning and skill to flee the kingdom before the king even knew what happen. Ever since the death of her father, Mrs. Neeson saw Taryn go from a girl to a woman who did what needed to be done.

Meanwhile, Taryn was back at her shop, now polishing the sword of that strange, high class customer that had come in the week before. After he had helped her, she made sure to put getting his weapon done first at the top of her priority list. And now it was nearly done with a few minor polishes and a burnishing that should be done by the end of the night.

Later, halfway through dinner, Leon remembered his sword. Later in the night he snuck from his room and out of the castle, untieing and mounting Triumph to slowly ride to the village. He wondered if she would still be awake, but he decided that if she wasn't, he would just go to the forest and have some away time. He saw a glow from her cabin and he couldn't help but smile until the realization hit him that he would have to tell her who he was. He sighed deeply, stopping Triumph a ways away so he could have some time to think. What would she do? She would more than likely hit him or spit in his face. That's usually what people did when they found out he was the son of the king. He was so tired of no one looking past who he was related to and getting to know him personally. It wasn't his choice to be a prince...

He continued on to her cabin and unmounted in front, leaving Triumph there alone. He trusted his steed to stay where he needed to be. He wandered over to the side where she sat, working on a weapon as last time. This time was different though. No little sister. He cleared his throat softly and stood there, saying nothing as he waited for her to realize he was there.

Taryn was startled out of working. She hadn't even realized it had gotten so late, but that tended to happen very often. Still, she enjoyed working at night. Things were a lot quieter and no one really bothered her. When she heard the noise, her hand automatically reached for the rapier at her side that she has been carrying with her the past week. She figured it was an intruder and was ready to attack until she saw who it was. She relaxed almost instantly though when she recognized the face of the man and loosened her grip on the weapon.

She smiled welcomingly and sat back down. "Come in, come in," she greeted. "Your sword is almost finished."

Leon smiled weakly at her, his face pale as he entered and stood by her side. His sword. He had almost forgotten all about it, honestly. He looked over her, silently making sure there were not wounds or bruises then sighing gently as he realized there were none. He spoke gently as his metallic rabbit crept in and sat quietly by his foot. He didn't notice, but the shining of the moonlight off it's metal coat could catch the attention of anyone who was not used to it.

"Oh, yes, my sword... I'm going to need it... Thank you... I should probably tell you something, Miss Taryn."

He didn't want to tell her. He wanted life to go on as if he was never a prince, so maybe she would be his friend, and possibly even more some day, but he knew it wasn't going to happen.

Taryn looked at the rabbit, unaffected by its metal gleam after having to work with fire and metals day and night. She looked up at Leon knowingly before speaking. "There's no need," she said, "the rabbit is enough. You sent him didn't you? You gave me the warning that morning last week that probably would have saved my life, yes?" As she said that, she grabbed the sword, she was finished polishing and the sheath that he had given her as well as another sheath she had personally made while on the road that had thin metal designs swirling around it. "Consider the sheath as a gift from me."

Leon took it, his face getting even paler and he spoke softly, his hands on the sword, fingers brushing hers. He had to tell her how he knew. Who he was. And he had to do it now. It was now or never. He sighed deeply and closed his eyes as if trying to conjur the words up in his mind. Why was he so undeniably frightened to tell her? She was a stranger who he would probably never speak to again. He looked at the intricate sheath and back up into her deep, almost entrancing eyes. His words came as if he were choking on them, because his throat began to close with emotion.

"I sent the rabbit, yes. I... No one deserves the wrath of my father. He's a very unfair king, and I'll save whoever I can as many times as I can if he gets involved. But the man we attacked that night. He knows it was us and he's blackmailing me. He's going to tell my father and I'll be..."

His voice dropped as he finished, his eyes falling to watch the ground at her feet.

"Let's just say I won't need this sword. You keep it. As a gift. And here, I want you to have this. Buy some food for your family, do whatever with it. I... I won't need it."

He pulled a large bag of gold and dropped it to the floor in front of her. He wanted to cry because he was so scared. His father had already found out his son was a traitor to the crown, and Leon was set to be executed at noon the next day. Leon swallowed the tears and the terror and looked back up at her with desperate, pleading eyes.

"My horse. The large white stallion outside. Keep him, please. Keep him and use him for work or travel, but just love him. He deserves love, for he has been the best steed a man could ever hope to have. Change the color of his coat and no one will know it is him. His name is Triumph. Please take care of him, I'm begging you, he's the only thing of value I own, other than my little rabbit."

How could he be giving everything of value to this stranger? He looked down at the rabbit and smiled a bit, remembering the little girl he had seen last time with Taryn.

"Your sister... She may keep my rabbit, even name him if she would like. He's a very loyal companion."

Hooves could be heard approaching and there were men yelling his name. Fear flashed in his now wide eyes as he stepped back, bowed quickly to her, and turned to go. His voice came feverish, worried and soft.

"I apologize for all of this rushing, but I must go. Thank you, Taryn. Thank you so much. I... No one has ever been as... I've never met a more amazing and beautiful woman as you, I must admit. Please take care of your family well. Farewell."

Taryn's eyes widened upon the confession. "You're going to be executed for helping me," she murmured softly, as a statement not a question. Upon hearing the parting words and the rushed sounds of hooves. She grabbed the bag of gold, the sword, and handed them back to the retreating prince. "Hop on your horse and ride into the moutains," she whispered. "I'll be right behind you on my own horse and help you to the next kingdom. You'll be safe there, trust me," she assured, shooing him back to the horse and unloading the heavy saddle. That saddle will only weigh the horse down and he'll need as much speed as she can get. "Now go!" she hissed at him as she hurried back into her own house to grab her bag of unpacked supplies (thank the heavens for small miracles again).

Confused, jumbled, Leon mounted Triumph and dug his heels in, whispering "Hya!" into the horses ear and away they galloped, into the night on the wing of a prayer. This stranger was helping him after she found out he was the son of her enemy! How odd, he thought. He didn't let Triumph rest until they were well into the thick forested mountains and even then he made sure to hide in a cave well off the path to wait for Taryn. Now he could never go back, never until his father died and the throne needed a king. He sighed and looked back toward his kingdom. No, not his anymore. He shook his head gently and stroked Triumph, who whinnied gently and shook his mane out. Now what would he do? Where would he stay? The gold he had would only get him so far. Part of him was scared, nervous, but the other part was excited and overjoyed. Finally, he was escaping that wretched kingdom and all of its unjusts. He smiled wide as a bird flew overhead. Freedom felt amazing. It felt as if he could do no wrong.

Taryn once again grabbed her pack and took off towards the stables once more as she grabbed a horse and left money on the table for the old man that had gone home for the night. The horse, even though it was sleeping, seemed to sense her urgency, was galloping rapidly out of the town and onto the trade routes. The guards were near but in the pitch blackness they seemed to assume that she was one of them on a horse instead of someone trying to aid a refugee of the kingdom. She left at a rapid pace and was on the trail in no time, once secluded in the forest she slowed the horse down so it could rest and she could find the man who was, apparently, the prince of the kingdom.

He sat in the mouth of the cave, whistling whatever came to his mind. He was growing bored rapidly, waiting in the wet cave for her to show up. He laid back in the cave's mouth and sighed deeply. No more maids, no more being told what to do, no more anything. What would he do? Where would he stay where would he go at all? Millions of thoughts ran through his mind, jumbling it up, confusing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.