Three Days After

Aurelia watched the fight in awe and fear, both wondering if Kestreel would be able to win and what would happen if he couldn't. She had done as he told her, stayed close behind him, and kept silent as he fought the men, coming out behind him when the woman began speaking to him. She smiled weakly as he exclaimed that he hadn't fought that well in months and continued to exchange conversation with the woman. When the woman invited the two for a drink, she nodded at Kestreel, catching his look.

They went inside and had a good time. The woman was kind and funny. It was easy to be friendly with her, so they stood a couple of hours with her, drinking and listening to the crazy stories that the woman, Martha, was telling them. "And then we had to use a goat as a battering ram, and hell it worked! The animal even took two of those guys down, once we let it go!" Said her laughing. She had to take a deep breath to stop laughing and continue talking.

"So, anyway, where are a couple like you both going?" Said Martha leaning in her seat. Kestreel looked at Aurelia, but he answered for the both of them. "North. We are just traveling. Enjoying the views." Said him, but Martha looked at him, and to be honest, Kestreel didn't looked like a traveler at all. With all those little vials and pouches, he looked more like some kind of sorcerer to her. And she knew what else was north of there. "So just traveling, eh?" Said Her. Kestreel looked at Aurelia. It didn't seemed that Martha had anything against them, or even against mages, but truth was, that Kestreel couldn't come with anything else to say, and was quietly asking for help to Aurelia.

Aurelia was enjoying herself with Kestreel and Martha, laughing with them at her stories. However, her blood seemed to run cold as she asked them where they were going. Luckily, he saved them, and said that they were only traveling. But from the look on the other woman's face, she could tell that she didn't really believe him. When Kestreel looked to her to answer next, she was struck dumb for a second before coming up with, "Looking for a place to settle down, really," said she, trying to keep a straight face. "When we find somewhere, we're hoping to have children, maybe..." Aurelia gave a small smile, keeping her gaze from Kestreel. It was all she could come up with, nothing else would have made any sense. Besides, it was the near-exact story her mother had told her about she and her father.

Martha smiled. "Sorry, I had figured you both by mages." She chucked. "Dumb me! Ha!" Kestreel faked a very convincing smile and looked at Aurelia. She was fast, but let's hope that story doesn't gets us in any more troubles, thought him. "Well..." Said Martha. "Looks like your husband here knows how to take care of both of you. But..." She looked at Kestreel and Aurelia. "I'm not going to say that I'm going north too, but you see, I'm an adventuress..." She leaned back, all filled with proud on herself.

"Yeah... I'm in the search for glory and wealth on my travels... The thing is that life has taught me when to... Let's say... Take a chance. And my gut tells me to accompany you in your search for a place to settle." Martha looked at them. "It will only be for a few time, I promise. And I will do it all for free. I have a horse and all I can need. I promise I won't be a burden, and I will help in anything you may need." Said Martha, looking at them with puppy eyes. "Come on, it will be fun. What do you say?" Insisted Martha. Kestreel looked at Aurelia. She was strong and very capable, but in the other hand, she believed that Kestreel and Aurelia were married and looking for a place to settle.

Aurelia was cursing herself for the lie when Martha asked to join them. They might need a second person who can hold themselves in a fight, in case they found something Kestreel couldn't handle, but she would have to watch everything she did and said from them on, or at least until she left. After a long contemplation, Aurelia finally said, "Very well, you may travel with us for a time." She gave a reassuring smile to Kestreel, trying to look him in the eyes like she had seen her mother look into her father's eyes.

Martha looked at Aurelia. "Yes! Thank you!" Said Martha as she got up. "Come on. If we part now, we may be able to get to a town by afternoon." Then she froze and looked at Kestreel. "If that's where you want to go, of course." Said Her, realizing that she was a guest in their travels. Kestreel made a mental map of the area. While they kept going North they would be fine. "That sounds like a great idea. Right?" Said Kestreel looking at Aurelia, like a married couple would do.

Once outside of the inn, Martha went to find her horse. "It will just be a moment, I promise." Said her. All the opposite, Aurelia and Kestreel new horse was peacefully munching grass next to the road. Kestreel walked next to the horse and pet him as he took a minute to examine the animal. Was a good horse indeed. Martha appeared with her horse a few minutes later. "I'm ready!" Said her happily. Then, Kestreel mounted the horse, gently drove it next to Aurelia and he offered her his hand to help her get up.

Aurelia nodded as Kestreel confirmed with her that heading to a town would be good. She stood slightly to the side of him as Martha left to get her horse, still feeling skittish around the animals. When he offered his hand to help her onto the horse, she took it, getting onto it without much difficulty. Once again, she wrapped her arms around him, leaning into him.

They started to go trough the small road, at a normal speed, to keep it fast, but comfortable. They meet some other travelers along the way, some merchants too, but few people after all. Before arriving to the next town, the made a small stop to let the horses rest, near a river. The waters were blue, with a light green color of the algae that lay on the bottom of it. There were also a big three that rewarded with juicy apples to the curious traveler.

Kestreel climbed the tree and got to get a couple of apples. He looked a little bit worried, having only two apples. Martha looked at him and smiled. "Don't worry." Said her. "For you and your wife." And Martha lay next to the shore, with her horse drinking water next to Aurelia and Kestreel one. He got close to Aurelia and gave her one of the apples. Just like the day we meet, thought him. And smiled.

After getting off the horse, Aurelia stretched while Kestreel climbed the tree, trying to rid her muscles from the stiffness that had overcome her due to remaining in the same position for such a long period of time. When he returned to the ground, she too worried that there wouldn't be enough to go around, but was surprised when Martha told him that it was for the two of them. Smiling at the woman to show her appreciation, Aurelia took the apple from him when he came near, and for a second she was in the market dropping apples everywhere again. The second passed and she was back in reality. Taking a small bite out of the apple, she returned his smile, before turning to gaze out across the water.

There they were, next to the shore of the river, looking the water flow quietly, when a noise could be hear coming from the river. A man was singling a joyful song, sailing in a boat made of tree trunks. "Hello there Ladies! Gentleman." Said the bard. He made quite a reverence smiling at them with a little guitar in his hands, something that looked like a 'Laud'. Martha get up and waved at him. "Sir! There are waterfalls! About half an hour on horse from here!" Said Martha. The stranger waved back at her, starting to fade out of view. "Thank you, beautiful damsel!" Replied back the bard, as it could be seen how Martha blushed a little bit. Then she looked at Kestreel and Aurelia and blushed even more. "What? I just wanted to help..." Said Martha.

Aurelia smiled as she heard the cheerful singing, seeing the man on the boat. When Martha stood up to tell him where waterfalls were, Aurelia watched as the musician replied his thanks, and she then looked to Kestreel and she. Aurelia's smile grew slightly at her blush, before laughing a little. Sitting down at the bank of the river, Aurelia finished the apple, core and all, while she gazed out across the water thoughtfully.

Kestreel smiled, well, that man was a bard after all, court women was part of their job. "It's a nice place. Right?" Said Kestreel looking at the river. But a couple of minutes later, Martha got up. "Come on, fellowship. Let's get moving, or we will get to the city too late." Said Martha. Nodding, Kestreel got up and helped Aurelia do the same. The rest of the road to the next town was quiet and beautiful, as it was it the town. A small village near the same river the stopped a while later. It had a few houses, what it looked like a church and a town hall, everything built in stone, wood and straw.

They where getting down of the horses, when suddenly a little girl, about 10 or 12 years old came running toward them, with half of the people on the village following her. The little girl saw Aurelia and quickly hid behind her. "Please. I didn't do anything..." Said the little girl to Aurelia. The angry villagers stop in front of the three and between yells and shouts a man, probably the mayor took a stop forward. "Travelers! Hand to us that girl. Now!" Kestreel also gave a step forward, facing the mayor, about five or six meters from him. Then he looked at the little girl, she had been crying and was now sobbing.

"What crime had this innocent creature committed, to gain the hate of so much people!?" Said Kestreel being really expressive with his hands and body. The villagers yelled even stronger, but nothing could be heard clearly. The mayor ordered silence and looked at Kestreel. "Magic! That girl is a creature from the depths of hell! She is a witch! And as one she has to be treated!" Kestrel sighed and looked back at Aurelia. What do they had supposed to do now?

Aurelia was startled by the sudden appearance of the girl, questions instantly popping into her mind, but she forced them down as she caught sight of the villagers. When the mayor told her to give them the girl, Aurelia instinctively shook her head, not understanding the situation, but knowing that it wouldn't be right to do that. When Kestreel spoke, she was thankful for his intervention, hating the fact that she would never have been brave enough to do that.

When the man explained that they thought that the girl was a magician, Aurelia glanced behind her, trying to see if she could see anything magic-like in her. When Kestreel looks back at her, she honestly had no idea what would be best.

The little girl was just scared, she didn't showed anything magic in particular, but as all magicians, at the beginning, not even themselves knew it. She could be perfectly a mage and did some trick without even realize, since magic comes natural for those with powers. "Look, I know is not right, but They are too many, Kestreel." Muttered Martha. "Release her, or you will charged for helping a mage!" Yelled the mayor. Kestreel looked at the floor, there were nothing else they could do right now. "Take her, we won't get in your path. But don't expect us to give her to you." Said Kestrel and stepped aside.

Two strong men and the mayor roughly pushed aside Aurelia, and took the little girl with their strong arms. The crow took her and screamed in victory as they carried her away. "Don't worry, we will help her. I... Just need time." Casting powerful spells took time and lot of focus. Only the best magicians could cast almost all spells instantly and some of them, even mute or immobile. "Now lets follow them. We need to see what are they planning to do with the girl."

After a few minutes they saw it clearly. Those people were not even going to wait for a trial. The where tying her to a pole and were going to set her on fire. Damn it! Kestreel had to think fast. "Martha, take the horse and flee with Aurelia as far as you can." Said him. Martha tried to reply, but then Kestreel looked at Aurelia, and took a small piece of stone. It was bright green, with small blue reflections. "Take this, and once you are safe, I need you to go to somewhere plain, hold it in your hands and think in me and the little girl. Could you do that?" Said Kestreel, trying to smile, telling her that everything will be okay. "Come on, go." And he ran towards some buildings and disappeared between the alleys. "Let's go. You've heard him, we have to leave." Said Martha, gently grabbing her and taking her to her horse.

Aurelia nearly tripped as she was pushed away from the girl, but caught herself and stood back up, listening as the crowd left and Kestreel spoke. When they came upon the pole, Aurelia wished that she had the inner strength to confront them. Opening her mouth to protest as Kestreel told Martha to run away with her, she was silenced as he handed to her the stone. Nodding at the instructions he gave her, she tried to take his smile to heart, that he would be fine.

Before Martha could lead her away, Aurelia, knowing the other woman was watching her, she threw her arms around him, placing her lips upon his. After a couple seconds, she pushed herself away from him, saying, "Just in case you don't...just in case something happens." Turning away with tears in her eyes, she let Martha lead her away, occasionally glancing behind her, even as she lost sight of Kestreel.

Still with the soft feeling of Aurelia lips on his lips, Kestrel climbed to the top of the church that was in front of the place where they were going to heartlessly burn the little girl. They were right. Magic had a very ugly and fearsome face. A face they where about to see. The church wasn't very high, but from up there, he could see how Martha and Aurelia slowly faded into the distance.

The breeze waver his robes, as he took out a very small vial of a black liquid. He closed her eyes and put his hands together, standing in perfect balance on the top of the building. "Fac remissionis hodie propter peccata, nostra regente, non autem anima innocens infans." The vial broke itself, hurting his hands with the little fragments of glass, the liquid mixing with his blood, as it became darker and colder.

His arms separated, forming a cross. Dark clouds formed above the town and a the wind blow hard. But Kestreel remained immobile in his place. "Vestra peccata mortifera cecidit mortales eius ira." His voice was deep and strong, and could be clearly heard in all town. "Amove prohibens viam nostram." Everybody was now, paying attention to him, beginning to realize what had they unleashed upon themselves. "Damnasse, fiducia, fides et desiderium." His voice was no longer his. It was replaced for the voice of thouthands of damned magicians that sold their souls for power and wealth. Now granting Kestreel all their power. "Necat diligere per singulos exhibito, ignis." He oppened his eyes, now as blank as ivory. "Innocentius hostiis pro immitis sceleribus!" The thousand voices expressed pure anger, as the time started to bend, starting to compress every second in a tiny bit of time in the space. "Preda ad aliquam insanientium pro impulsivi consilia!" Every lapse of time collided in the same insignificant spot, finally breaking the time around Kestreel. Running was no longer necessary. Then, he just muttered. "Sed frustra conabitur."

The time stopped, and Kestreel was forced to grant peace to the thousand tortured souls, that so deserved the punishment they were suffering. But there was no time for that, he just hoped the sacrifice wasn't in vain. "Ianuae Magicae..." Muttered him. Still with great remains of power, Kestreel was able to teleport next to the little girl and grab her between her arms. Then the time and space readjusted themselves, sending the whole town, and everything in it to the void of the emptiness, in the 'Edge of Forever'. The last thing he could think before they were gone forever: 'Hope Aurelia doesn't forget about us...'

Aurelia was led along, her muscles moving mechanically as she focused her attention upon the stone, holding it tightly in one hand. She kept the faces of the girl and him firmly in her mind, trying to remember everything that he had told her. Looking back as Kestreel's voice rang out through the town, she was pulled onto the horse by Martha, and nearly screamed as his voice changed. Using one hand to hold onto Martha so she wouldn't fall off, Aurelia held the stone in her other.

There wasn't time to find a place that was plain, so she had to make due with what she had. As Martha forced the horse to its limits, she kept her focus upon Kestreel and the girl.

A warmth white light embraced him, holding the little girl close, afraid she may escape from his grip and get lost forever in the emptiness of the Edge. A deafening sound, and a sudden pull back to reality catapulted them into the real world again, but not as he predicted. Before he could even react, he barely could mutter some words to protect the girl form any harm, as his body was violently hurled onto the floor due to the speed they were returned. Kestreel body finally stopped, and lay immobile on the floor, as the little girl got out of his arms and stood quietly next to him, looking at Kestreel, with a couple of tears falling from her small eyes. "Sir?" She muttered. "Sir please, wake up..."

Glancing behind her once more, Aurelia saw the girl standing next to a figure on the ground. Shouting at Martha to stop the horse, she quickly slid off of it when she was sure she wouldn't trip once she got down, and ran to the girl. When she was close enough that she could see that the figure was Kestreel, she began crying, certain that she had hurt him, but knelt by his side nonetheless.

"Kestreel!" she shouted, shaking him by the shoulders. Placing her ear on his chest, she tried to hear the beating of his heart, to know that she hadn't killed him.

Martha quickly turned with the horse and went where Kestreel was laying on the floor. "But... Where..." She didn't understood anything, but she got close to him and checked his vitals. "He is still alive, but... Well I don't know what happened." Said Martha looking around. "There!" She pointed at a stone and thatch implement shed. "Let's take him there." And Martha took him with her strong muscles, making sure everybody was following her. Once inside, she slowly dropped Kestreel on a small pile of straw.

Martha knew how to heal superficial wounds and some broken bones, but Kestreel seemed to have fallen of a horse riding at full speed; he had all his clothing teared apart, the armor, even if it would have been reinforced, it didn't did too much. Arms, ribs, legs... Everything Martha touched seemed broken. She sighed, not knowing what to do. "I... I'm going to find help. You stay here." Said Martha, hesitating, asking herself if that was a good idea. But there was nothing else she could do, so she took her horse and left as fast as she could.

Time passed, and the little girl stood by Kestreel side all the time. After a couple of hours it began to rain. At the beginning, the construction hold the rain pretty well, but finally, several leaks appeared, and the water started to make small puddles inside the implement shed. The little girl smiled, playing with one of the puddles, but then, when she took the hand out of the puddle, the water didn't dripped off her hand, it stood around it, like a glove. Muttering a cheerful song, she carefully moved the water glove to Kestreel arm, and the liquid started to flow around his arm, but never falling to the floor, healing the superficial wounds in his skin.