Those Who Help Demons

As Sasha told him that they would never be able to come back, Logan had to hold back tears. This was the place he had grown up, where he had first learned that not all demons were bad, where he had cried and laughed and gotten angry...it would be hard to leave it. "Yeah," he forced himself to say. A frown crossed his face, and it was a struggle to get back to work.

"Want a band-aid for that?" He asked, pointing. "I can go find some...we might need them later." Without waiting for an answer, he went to the downstairs bathroom, digging through the cabinets until he found the box of band-aids. "Here," he said, tossing them to her. "Ready?"

Before she can object, Logan was off again. Shaking her head she looked at the cloth, seeing that the bleeding stopped. She looked at Logan and caught the box of band-aids. Throwing the cloth of to the side, Sasha decides to instead stick the box into her satchel.

"Yeah. I'm ready." Sasha said as she turned around to the back door and opened it. Taking a step outside, the warmth from the sun on her face was welcoming. The house started to feel too stuffy, especially now that there were bodies lying about stinking it up. She glanced around making sure no one was around, and began walking out into the alleyway and heading to the bridge. She turned her head back, "Should we go by boat or foot?"

"Boats make me sick," he answered quickly. "Let's walk." Grinning, he followed her outside, though he took a long look back. Before he would let Sasha notice, he began walking away, ready to leave before he could change his mind. "As soon as I get home, we have to leave," he grumbled, though he didn't falter.

"Damon's the one with the apartment, right? Or was that Nathaniel?" He glanced aat her as he spoke, the bridge just coming into view. Suddenly, he wished he had worn his hoodie, because people might see and recognize him. "Wait a second," he said, kneeling. Opening his bag, he dug through his clothes,, finding an old, ratty jacket. He smiled at it, remembering the last time he had worn it. Pulling on the sleeves of the black and blue jacket, he zipped it up. Throwing the hood over his eyes, he shut his bag beforelinging it over his shoulder and walking again. It was time to start anew, he thought.

Sasha kept powering on, not slowing down her stride at all. "Okay, walk." She agreed with Logan, continuing to look right and left every now and then. She pondered for a bit about who would be best for them to go to, Damon or Nathaniel, while she stopped and waited for Logan. Damon was around their age now, he kept a close eye on Sasha ever since Logan left. Annoyingly he would drop by every now and then unexpectedly and crash on the couch, though it was always when Sasha was home.

Nathaniel was a few years older, and in Sasha's opinion much more reliable than Damon. He hasn't spoken to her in a few months, maybe he was on a mission. He did have an apartment, and it could very well be empty. He lived past the city, a few miles out but wasn't very far from where they were at now. They could probably make it there before sundown.

"Let's head to Nathaniel's. I trust him more than Damon. Damon reminds me too much of," She glanced at Logan for a second, "yeah. We don't need two of you." Crossing the bridge now, Sasha turned right, feeling this was the fastest way to reach the apartment. "He might not be home now but I'm sure he won't mind us staying at his place for a bit."

Logan nodded, but he had to say, "C'mon, I'm nothing like Damon. He's too jokey." Grinning slightly, he made sure his hood was low over his eyes as they walked across the bridge. He knew there were cameras on the bridge, and the other people that went across it no doubt had heard of him, so he was in danger. Watching his shoes, he waited until they were across the bbridge before saying, "It's down this road, right?" He pointed, before recognizing the street name. White Castle St.

Smiling, he quickened his pace slightly, hoping his old friend was doing well.

Sasha was feeling nervous, she hated being an inconvenience to anyone and she hoped Nathaniel wouldn't throw them out on the street when he saw them. For some reason, he was odd when it came to being relied on, always looking away whenever anyone made eye contact and stuttering over his words while conversing. Nodding again to Logans' question, she frowned, and turned down the street he just pointed out. Hopefully he's not there..

Going down the street was unexpectedly crowded, there were many people out shopping and talking to one another, enjoying their weekend. Scowling Sasha rushed through, aggressively pushing with her shoulder against other people as best as she can while trying not to get swallowed up. She had forgotten this street was popular for their clothing shops and small cafe's on the side, and instantly regretted going down this way.

"Excuse me!" She glared at the passerby standing in their way and nervously shifted to the side to let her pass. She stomped on, looking behind her, "Are you keeping up or what?" She then pointed out to another alleyway coming up to their left, "Let's take this one. It's faster. We'll be there in five minutes tops. I can't stand this anymore."

Sasha trudged on to the alleyway despite the fact if Logan agreed to follow or not. The crowd was getting on her nerve and she hated public places to begin with, she decided upon herself to fix the situation. The alleyway was very quiet, a few people mostly couples hanging about stealing kisses to one another. Sasha looked about at the signs that passed her, until she saw one off into the distance turning into another corner. It was broken and hanging, the letters scratched off, probably belonging to one of those old fashioned barbershops. She broke into a run, happy to have found it and rounded the corner without thinking and bumped into someone making her fall back to the ground.

"Tch," She groaned as she rubbed her poor bum that hit the stone so hard and looked up to shoot the person who got in her way a angry glare. "Ah, Nathaniel!" She exclaimed when she saw the familiar pale lean figure who nervously watched her, unsure of what to do. Sasha looked back to where she came from and shouted, "Logan! I found him!" Nathaniel was confused, as she stood back up and wiped herself down. "We were actually on our way to your place. Funny seeing you here."

Logan followed Sasha, keeping his head down and not looking anyone in the eye. He was more agile than her when it came to crowds, and he was weaving in and out of the way of passerby, making sure to keep his hood up. Hearing Sasha as she pointed down an alley, he nodded before running after her, pushing some man out of his way as he did so.

Hearing her fall to the ground a few minutes later, as he was rounding a corner, he grinned when he saw who it was. It was instant recognition. "Nathaniel!" he exclaimed, slowing to a walk. "Guess what, I finally got back! How've you been?" He tried to seem normal, knowing that people might be watching.

"You don't suppose we can crash in your living room for a night or two? I'll explain later, promise."

Nathaniel blanched when he saw Logan, stuttering in disbelief and pointing at him, "Y-y--you-" Sasha interrupted him grabbing his hand and started pulling him deeper into the alley. She nervously laughed and obviously sounding forced since she hardly laughed anyway, "Oh, Nathaniel, yes, it's been a long time since we visited you! Let's go back to your place and catch up okay?" He could only continue muttering and nodding to Sasha nervously and held tighter to her hand as he dragged her along to another building and into it. Sasha tensed up, feeling the pressure on her hand and unwillingly let him take her. Sighing, she knew this was the only way to calm him down, and let him be.

He let go of her hand and started rummaging through his pockets bringing out a set of keys, his hands shaking them uncontrollably. "H-h-Hurry. Let's go." He motioned for them to come in as he opened the door for them and letting them step inside. Sasha went ahead first, she took off her satchel and dropped it onto one of the couches as she unzipped her jacket. She glanced around, seeing that nothing has changed and the apartment still bland as ever, white walls, no pictures and hardly any furniture besides the couch and a few chairs.

Following Nathaniel into his apartment, Logan looked around, understanding why he had forgotten about him. His house was amazingly bland, but extremely neat. Bending over to set his bag down by the door, he lied and said, "This brings back memories." Beaming at Nathaniel, he slouched onto the couch, looking up at the two.

"So I suppose some explanation is in order?" he asked, suddenly serious. "Look, it wasn't my fault this time."

Sasha sat down next to Logan, raising an eyebrow. "Not your fault? I guess you can say that." She teased. She looked back up at Nathaniel who uneasily stood and stared at the two. She held up a hand, seeing that he was going to say something, and said, "I know. It's been a long time seeing you." She smiled sadly as she put her hand back down. She wished Nathaniel wouldn't be so light of heart, she swore he's going to have a nervous breakdown one of these days.

Leaning back into the couch welcoming the comfort, Sasha explained the whole situation to him including Logan's sudden appearance. After finishing, Nathaniel sighed deeply, brushed his long black hair back and pushed the front of his glasses up. He plopped onto one of the comfy chairs, and looked at the both of them before chuckling, "You guys are always trouble. Aren't you? Fine. You guys can stay here." He went silent after that, shifted his feet in deep thought.

Sasha glanced at Logan, elbowing him and whispered, "I feel like a burden.. I don't know what to say.."

Logan was silent when Sasha explained what had happened to him. He wasn'tone to interrupt, and was glad he could hear her voice after so long. After five years of hearing the voices of guards and demons who would love nothing more than to flay the flesh from his bones. They knew he was human, even if the guards would deny it, and would have been powerless against them.

When she finished, and elbowed him when Nathaniel consented to their staying there, he whispered back, "Uh..." Standing up, he exclaimed, smiling again, "Thanks, buddy!" Awkwardly placing his arms around him in a stiff embrace, he pulled away soon after, wondering if that was the right thing to do.

Sasha shook her head when Logan went over to hug Nathaniel. Murmuring, "I meant to take up the conversation elsewhere and make it less awkward.." Sighing, she looked at Nathaniel, his eyes pleading for help at the sudden closeness. Luckily, Logan released quickly and Nathaniel's shoulders loosened in relief. "A- You're.. welcome." He said quietly. He stood up after that, clearing his throat and eyed the both of them warily. "I'm leaving, right now. I'll be gone so.. don't trash.. anything okay?" He paused, pondered a bit more if it was okay to leave the both of them there.

She couldn't help but smirk when he said that, knowing how tidy and clean he was and if anything was out of order, his place would literally be considered trashed in his opinion. She held back making a comment and only nodded, letting him silently gather his thoughts.

"Right then." He finally said, "Logan, can I talk to you alone for a moment?" Sasha furrowed her brows, and in her most demanding voice said, "Why only Logan? Why not the both of us? I don't like secrets you know that Nathaniel." She tried hard not to pout, sincerely feeling she felt left out and really wanted to know what they were going to discuss. Nathaniel only smiled, a smile that hardly comes across his face. He reached over patting Sasha on the head, surprising her and catching her off-guard. "Come outside with me Logan. You Sasha, take care. Goodbye for now."

Sasha still stunned, didn't notice Nathaniel nonchalantly walk out the door. A blush coming across her face as she realized how easily tricked she was, her eyes widened as she turned her head back, the door closing just as she did. Grimacing, she turned back around and glared at Logan as she crossed her arms. "Better tell me what he said when you come back or I swear I will make your living here hell."

Confused by Nathaniel's sudden request, Logan stood up. Throwing a glance oover his shoulder as he heard Sasha's protests, he mostly ignored her, figuring that it mmust be important if Nathaniel wanted to see him alone.

"I'll be back in a second, promise," he said, a slight, half-smile on his face. He figured she must be worried about him disappearing again. He would be, too, in her position.
Following Nathaniel out, hands in his pockets, he pulled his hood up again once outside, paranoid.

"What is it?" he asked, grinning slightly. Though he didn't remember much of the man, he could tell he was a good guy, someone to trust. Casually crossing his arms over his chest, he let his green eyes fall on Nathaniel.

Before answering Logan, Nathaniel rolled his shoulders, put his hand in his pocket and pulled out a carton of smokes. His deep blue eyes lingered on Logan, as he started patting the carton on his palms.

"Be careful. If you're thinking of going back into the business, you best keep yourself hidden well. Let Sasha do most of the work." Sighing, Nathaniel pulled out a cigarette from the carton and stuck it in his mouth. He murmured as he stuffed it back in his pocket and went in search for his lighter, "Sasha isn't doing so well since you left, I'm afraid she's lost her touch.." He paused, finally able to find his lighter and lit up the cigarette and took a quick slow drag of it.

His nerves calm now he found it easier to speak without stumbling through his words, "She's targeted, by a sly bastardy demon who goes by the name Amom. A slaver of demons and not one to cross with." He frowned, a puff of smoke escaping his lips. "Sasha was ambitious, felt that she needed to live up to everyone's expectation when you didn't return. Let's just say, the majority of Amom's slaves, they all escaped and crossed the border. She didn't succeed unscathed though, Damon found her close to bleeding to death from an attack by Amom himself." Nathaniel shook his head and threw the cigarette to the ground, finding the taste of it was now numbing.

"We still don't know why he didn't kill her. Demons like him are unpredictable." He gazed into Logan's eyes, his brows furrowed and true concern on his face. "Do not tell Sasha I told you this. She's very prideful, I know that but most of all, Amom is now on the hunt for you. If he knew that you two were together right now, he would do anything to torture Sasha with the thought of your life in his hands." He looked a way, nervously brushing his hair back again, and turned around from Logan. "..I-..I- hate to say it, but Sasha cares more for you than Damon and I. We're -.. lucky in a sense." He began walking away hurriedly, and said in a voice loud enough for Logan to hear, "You damn well better take care of her!"

Logan was left with more questions than answers. This demon slaver was hunting him...why? He was just a normal guy who helped demons cross the border into Canada, nothing more. However, what really got him was that Sasha was in danger, too. Frowning, he stood there for a few moments, making plans. If he was looking for them, they would have to keep moving. Which meant, to keep Nathaniel out of trouble, they would have to leave soon.

Eventually heading back inside, he sat back down with Sasha. "All he told me was that he didn't want you to get hurt," Logan told her, the lie bitter on his tongue. "I've also decided that we are leaving first thing in the morning. We'll have to keep moving, in order to stay a step ahead of the Church."

Sasha didn't say a thing to Logan but frowned. She didn't like that fact that they were leaving so early on, but she understood the reasoning. She looked over at Logan, feeling for the first time since he came back, contentment. She didn't care where they had to go, where they had to live, as long as it wasn't by herself.

Her heart sank instantly remembering what it felt like all alone. Coming home one night after a short mission and expecting Logan to be there waiting for her, when he never showed up, she was a mess. She didn't have a clue of what to do, where to go, and felt entirely lost without him. She thought he was dead, and mourned for him days upon days. Angry and hurt, she forced herself to continue on and deepened herself with thousands of missions from headquarters.

Sasha shook her head, feeling the tears welling up in her eyes and let out a shuddering sigh. "Right," She finally said after a moments silence. "Where do you want to go after this?"

"North," Logan answered immediately. "We'll head north, and maybe meet up with someone from headquarters...No, nevermind. We'll go north, forget about the guys at headquarters. Once we're out of danger, I'll try to get us set up somewhere else, and then maybe we will start up again." He forced a smile for her, knowing that he meant that once she was safe, they would stop running.

Several minutes of silence passed, and then, "Look...I'm sorry about everything that happened, the last five years...It's my fault, really. I shouldn't have gotten myself caught, I should've been here for you. I promise...it won't happen again..."

Sasha nodded to Logan and smiled slightly back to him, oblivious his own was forced. She waved off Logan's apologies. "You don't have to say you're sorry. It couldn't be helped. And don't make such promises." She stood up and stretched her arms out, beginning to feel awkward by the situation.

She walked over to Logan's bag and picked it up, and went over to a dining room table. She began to unpack a few things. She sighed, and stopping for a bit as she thought about what had occurred with the demon Amom. A shiver went up her spine, remembering that soulless stare and his voice echoing into her head that he would make her suffer when she escaped from his grasp. Instinctively, she wrapped her arms around her, still able to feel the countless scars from the battle with him. Frustrated, she slammed her hands onto the table.

After a moment she spoke up, "I'm sorry for that outburst. It's just been a long day. I think I should phone HQ about his reappearance and let them know I'll be on the down low for a bit."

Logan nodded. "Okay. There should be a throw-away phone in my bag, somewhere." After a few moments, he stood up and said, "Do you want to talk about it...whatever happened while I was...uh, gone?" Walking to her side, he unzipped the front pocket of his bag and took out an small, out-of-date disposable cell phone. Gently handing it to her, he looked into her eyes, trying to understand what was swirling around in them.

((Sorry for the short post))

Sasha shot a glare at Logan when he asked her but shook her head and didn't say anything. She looked away when he started staring and grabbed the phone from him. I can't tell him. There's no way I could. She mumbled, "Don't look at me like that.. It makes me feel even more guilty. Especially since it's my fault for getting us into this situation." She frowned, and turned away from him. "I'm going to head outside." Without another word, she walked out the door and closed it gently.

She sighed and leaned against it as she closed her eyes, welcoming the cool breeze. She then looked down at the phone and pressed a button to turn it on. Surprisingly, it powered up despite that it hadn't been used in years. She started to dial, and put the phone right up to her ear, listening to the ringing and for someone to answer.

It finally stopped and on the other end, there was silence. "It's me, Sasha." She said to whomever.

"Ah! Sasha?! Oh my, I thought.. you were Logan.." A shrilly woman's voice exclaimed. "How are you darling?"

"Fine. Yourself Maya?" Bad idea. Sasha thought to herself as Maya began excitedly talking nonstop. She never met her, Maya would remain as anonymous as she could be. She was the main person to connect to headquarters with any questions, advice, and information on just about anything. Maya was HQ's treasure box, abundant with thousands of information. Her anonymity was necessary, if she was ever found, there would be no telling what the wrong person would do to her to get it.

"Right, Maya. There's something important I need to tell you-" Sasha tried to interrupt but failed as Maya beat her right to it.

"Logan, is it? Oh, dear! It's so sweet how you have him back! I hear wedding bells!" Maya laughed hysterically at the thought while Sasha's face went red and sighed, not surprised that she already knew Logan was back and very much alive.

"No, it's not that. It's about my upcoming mission." Sasha finally was able to say to her.

"Hmm? Oh yes! Rescuing the little fox demon down South. Should be an easy one for you-"

"Maya, I can't do it. Amom is back. I need to lay low for awhile."

The other line was silent after Sasha said that. A few minutes passed by and she waited patiently for a response.

"Sasha." Maya sternly said to her, "You can't leave this mission alone, we gave this one to you for a reason. And now that you have Logan, despite he's still being hunted down, he'll be able to assist you and that demon fox is going to be a very good advantage for us." She paused, her voice left with no emotion. "Understood?"

Sasha was shaking, the thought of running around on a mission while that bastard demon is following her and playing with her, but most of all, Logan's life was on the line as well; it hit her hard and made her furious. "Got it." She snappily said to Maya and hung up the phone. Scowling, and with all her might, she threw the phone against the wall. Her anger subsided a bit and she sighed. She straightened up and headed back inside.

((It's okay~ I think this will definitely help the story get moving!))