Those Who Help Demons

Logan couldn't help but eavesdrop on Sasha's conversation. His ear was placed firmly against the door, him trying to catch snatches of her conversation. He could only hear her, not whoever was on the other line, but he could guess as to what they were talking about, especially when Sasha was getting angry. He could hear it in her voice, those last two words before he heard a crash.

Waiting a few moments to make sure Sasha didn't know he was listening in on her conversation, he counted to five before opening the door, just in time to run into Sasha.

"I heard a crash," he said simply, forcing a frown. Looking to the wall, he saw the mangled pieces of the phone, and frowned for real. "Did you really throw that? Sasha...I needed that phone."

Narrowing her eyes when she saw Logan, "Eavesdropping are you?" She looked behind her at the broken pieces of the phone and back at him. "Don't worry, I'll get you another one." She sighed. "Get your things, we have to go. So much for staying low. We need to head down South as quick as we can."

Sasha frowned but tried hard to not make it too obvious. She really wanted to tell him that everything was going to be fine, that they didn't need to do the mission, and that it wasn't necessary for them to leave so soon. Although, as much as she wanted to lie to him, she couldn't bring herself to. Headquarters wouldn't let this mission pass if she failed it, considering that even Maya ordered her to do it. She assumed it was very dire to get this demon across the border and they shouldn't waste anytime.

Logan nodded solemnly. "I'll write a note for Nathaniel." Putting his things in his bag, he got out a pad of paper and a pen. Leaning over the kitchen counters, he wrote:

Dear Nathaniel,

Seems Sasha and I will be leaving sooner than I hoped. Can't tell you where we're going, sorry, but stay safe, okay? Once the two of us are safe again, I'll send word to you again.

Stay safe,
Logan

With that, Logan left the note there, slinging his bag over his shoulder before grabbing an apple from a bowl on the counter. Biting into the ripe flesh, he chewed thoughtfully before turning to Sasha. "Better get going then?" He sighed. He didn't want to leave again, not after just getting there. Frowning softly, he bit into the apple again, hoping to eat something fresh before leaving.

A nod came from Sasha as she went over and grabbed her own satchel and flung it across her shoulder. Without a second glance, she opened the door and looked left to right, making sure no one was around. She stepped outside and breathed in right before she began walking down the alleyway, the opposite direction from where they came from.

"We'll take the train, if it's okay with you?" Sasha asked Logan as her walk quickened after coming out from the alleyway and began heading to her left. The train station was pretty far and the walk getting there was going to take some time. Though, this time would be best used to their advantage to plan strategically to retrieve the fox demon.

She felt worried about the mission on the other hand. Curious to know what was so special about this particular one, she immediately regretted throwing the phone and breaking it. If only her anger hadn't gotten the best of her, they would have more information than she knows now. She sighed, knowing that she'll have to phone Maya sometime later on.

"I should let you know in case you didn't get the full gist from listening to that conversation earlier." She stuck her hands into her small jacket as she looked ahead, making sure she didn't bump into the occasional people that had passed her. "We're doing a mission, a small fox demon by the name of Reyn. He's been in hiding from the Church for years now in the forests of a small country town. Apparently he has something important HQ really wants to grab their hands on. We offer him safety, so therefore we get that information. That's all I know. I'm sure Maya has set up tickets for us." She smirked at that, thinking that sometimes Maya could be pretty scary on her assumptions. Worst part of it was, they weren't assumptions, she knew they were going to head that way. "I'll try to call her again when we're on the train but right now," She paused, feeling that she was being watched and began to nervously look around. "we just need to get there safe and alive."

Just before he left Nathaniel's home, Logan pulled his hood up again, feeling a wave of paranoia. Following Sasha, he tried to remember the other times he had walked through the alley. Five years of torture and imprisonment had muddled some of his memories, and he was still surprised that he had been able to make it back to his home when he escaped. Leaving the apple core in a gutter once he finished it, Logan chased after Sasha until he was next to her.

"Yeah, the train's fine," he said, adjusting his bag. Making sure not to draw attention to himself, he kept his pace steady, watching for police cars and the Church's men. Silent as she explained what her conversation had been about, he nodded when she was finished, already wishing they were heading in the exact opposite direction. Canada was safe, going further south would just put them closer to the Church's headquarters, and he didn't want to be arrested again.

"C'mon," he said, grabbing her hand unconsciously, "we should get to the train station as soon as possible."

"Ah," Sasha blushed at the slight touch of Logan's hand. Surprised by it, she let her hand slowly begin to slip out of his. She had to admit she wanted to hold his back, only because she was frightened and anxious about everything that has been happening. The comfort would have been nice for her but her pride got in the way of that. She looked around her surroundings and made sure to observe every person that passed her by. She didn't want to look Logan in the eye, not after that awkward moment.

His presence here after so many years was unnerving, Sasha was finally getting used to being alone. Ever since he brought her into the business, she's relied on him countless and countless of times. When he disappeared, she broke in spirit and will. It took her almost months to get back onto her feet. Now that he's back, Sasha had to fight the urge to depend on him once again.

After passing a few blocks in silence, Sasha spoke up, hoping to start a conversation that could break it. "That time of the mission, can you tell me what exactly happened? What was it like in the prison? I'm actually surprised they didn't kill you."

Logan was caught off-guard by Sasha's question. However, he chose to answer truthfully. "I was getting the demon as far as Indiana, like I promised, but he had told the Church what route we were taking. One moment, we were walking down a road in Illinois, and the next, Church officials were beating me to the ground and threatening to shoot. When they were putting me in their database, they accidentally put me in as a demon, not a human, which was why I was sent to the Church's capitol's demon prison, and not one for us." He sighed softly before continuing.

"The prison was about as close to hell as you can get...but what can you expect, with a bunch of imprisoned demons there. I was kept in a tiny room with one door with three demons. It was so small that we couldn't even lie down to sleep without touching one another, something the demons got into innumerable fights about. The Church had soldiers that tortured me for information on demons I knew, but since I never knew any by their real names, they had nothing. I think, by the time I escaped, they had almost figured out that I wasn't a demon, and were getting ready to kill me..." He frowned softly, shoving his hands into his pockets.

Without any interruption, Sasha listened to Logans' story, nodding every now and then in understanding. She had to grimace when he neared the end from the possibility of him killed. She shook it out of her mind, thinking that even now he had there was a chance, he's wanted after all for escaping. She was just glad that he finally came back, safe and very much alive.

Sasha looked up and could see the edges of the train station building coming into view. They were almost there and she was surprised that they made it this far, so quick. She jogged a bit to Logan's side and glanced at him from the corner of her eye. She took a moment to pause before speaking to gather her thoughts, "I'm sorry. I should have been there for you." She let it sink in before speaking again, "I should have also looked for you and maybe you wouldn't had to go through all that torture for so long. I'm honestly sorry. But after this mission, I want to make it up to you. I'll take a hiatus.."She let that sentence linger on realizing how silly that sounded. She kept her mouth shut after that and tried her best to focus what was up ahead instead of blabbering nonsense.

Logan couldn't help but let his mood lower slightly as Sasha spoke. It wasn't her fault, and she must have been spending the last five years beating herself up over it. Frowning, he sighed softly before speaking again. "If you'd looked for me, you might've gotten caught, too, but this time they wouldn't have made a mistake, and you would've been with humans." Stifling back a yawn, wishing he had slept better, he said, "You don't need to take a hiatus. Soon as we can, I'm setting up again, 'cause there's no way a little wanted notice on me is gonna stop me."

He let himself grin now, watching as the train station got closer and closer. Patting her on the shoulder, he said, "Don't worry about it. I'm still alive. They may have tried to kill me, but they could never kill my spirit. We are those who help demons, and nothing will stop us from doing what's right. Don't forget that."