This always gets a mixed reaction.....but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the Gunslinger back in high school - I might give it another shot. Personally, I'm very 'Meh' about most of King's books, but both my mother and girlfriend really like his stuff, and I did like The Gunslinger if I remember correctly, so I'll probably go see it

You never know. A shit load of movies and shows filled with fantasy, demons, creepy rat-men that pass for humans, and lots and lots of shoot outs! I think I even got my husband at least somewhat agreeable to watching them with me. I watch Shannara with him, so we'll be even.
Well you know...
I'm not married.

I'm a fan of King so I may see this movie. As for Matt, I think he's a pretty cool guy and actor but I think he's best suited for heartthrob and romantic roles. I haven't really seen any of Idris's movies so I can't comment on him.

I wish I could find the meme that my husband sent me for McCaughney for president, because he'll make everything "Alright, alright, alright."

Anyway, for the role he's playing, anyone who's read the books and remembers how the Man in Black was, I think they'd agree he's actually pretty good for the part. I'm actually pretty excited to see how he pulls it off. He's one of those actors that people really don't take seriously because he's so damn flighty, but that's what the role needs. Walter/Randall/Marten whatever you want to call him was a goofy kind of evil, and always cryptic with how he spoke (At least in The Gunslinger). He's always grinning, and throwing out riddles. I think he'll do well. (But it makes me wonder why he wasn't pegged as Flagg for The Stand remake, if that's even still happening. It'd make sense since Flagg and the Man in Black are one in the same. I know Affleck dropped it, but last I heard someone else picked it up and it was still being made.)

The blessing and curse with Idris is that he's a virtual unknown to people who haven't seen movies that he's played in. I only knew of him from Thor, and if it hadn't been for that I wouldn't have known who he was. However, Roland is such a large character with so many facets, it's going to take a very skilled actor to portray him as he is in the books. Of course I'm biased considering he's my one of my all time favorite fictional characters. The one thing that Idris has going for him is that he looks suave, and that is definitely one of the characteristics that Roland portrays throughout the entire series. He's a manipulative bastard at heart, and he knows how to charm people into getting what he wants (Most of the time anyway). I worry a bit that perhaps he's a bit too good looking for the part, but again, there's plenty of ways he can be 'roughed up' to fit the role.

I'm seriously looking forward to who they get to play the role of Jake though. I cannot imagine a kid actor other than Chandler Riggs who could pull off the role. However, he's already taken and he's a bit too old for the part. Plus, there's the fact that whoever they get to play Jake will age, and in the books, Jake doesn't age that much. Considering the huge undertaking the entire series will be, it's going to be hard. But who knows.

Overall though, I'm looking forward to the day I can walk around with my Oy tee-shirt and people don't stop to ask me "What's on your shirt?"

The blessing and curse with Idris is that he's a virtual unknown to people who haven't seen movies that he's played in. I only knew of him from Thor, and if it hadn't been for that I wouldn't have known who he was. However, Roland is such a large character with so many facets, it's going to take a very skilled actor to portray him as he is in the books. Of course I'm biased considering he's my one of my all time favorite fictional characters. The one thing that Idris has going for him is that he looks suave, and that is definitely one of the characteristics that Roland portrays throughout the entire series. He's a manipulative bastard at heart, and he knows how to charm people into getting what he wants (Most of the time anyway). I worry a bit that perhaps he's a bit too good looking for the part, but again, there's plenty of ways he can be 'roughed up' to fit the role.

You might not have seen much of Idris' work before but I have trouble believing that for a lot of people he's an unknown actor because... he isn't? I highly recommend watching The Wire and Luther of which he both stars in. If they don't make you an Idris believer nothing will. Dude is incredible.

Reactions: Torsty
You might not have seen much of Idris' work before but I have trouble believing that for a lot of people he's an unknown actor because... he isn't? I highly recommend watching The Wire and Luther of which he both stars in. If they don't make you an Idris believer nothing will. Dude is incredible.
I'm not saying he's not a good actor. I just haven't really seen him in much. I'm going to have faith since the King approves of him for the role. Others, however, aren't as open minded. =/

Yeah. Idris isn't virtuall unknown to people. He is all over the place. He has a huge following of fans all over mainsteam media and the internet and he has been in everything from massive blockbuster movies to smaller projects to massively popular and critically aclimed series such as The Wire. He is also crossatlantic, in that he has starred in both American and British series.

Idris Ilba is a big name. Or you would not have the reactions you are getting from naysayers.

The naysayers are opposed to him because of race, which really isn't that big of an issue when you look at it. Some creative writing is all that's really needed to correct the problem. If anything, if you really look at it, Roland being black would play out better for Detta's loathing of him. A black man teamed up with a white man against a black, disabled woman? Plenty of anger and resentment to go around there.

The naysayers are opposed to him because of race, which really isn't that big of an issue when you look at it. Some creative writing is all that's really needed to correct the problem. If anything, if you really look at it, Roland being black would play out better for Detta's loathing of him. A black man teamed up with a white man against a black, disabled woman? Plenty of anger and resentment to go around there.
I was more reffering to that naysayers would note that he wasn't well known nad used that as leverage as it makes them look a lot better then "But he is black". People will bullshit you to appear less fucked up. That said, I think you are right. They can totally swing it to their advantage.

Reactions: ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ
So apparently they cast Jake without saying anything, at least according to IMDB.

The Dark Tower (2017) - IMDb

I don't know who this kid is, but I must now go track down all of the shows/movies he's been in to see if he is worthy of playing Jake. ~_~

Status
Not open for further replies.