Things You Hate About Valentine's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ElBell

Ah, Valentine's Day... A day of love, flirtation, candies, and flowers that dates back centuries. A day you dedicate everything of yourself to someone you love like the lovers of the 19th century, be it an all day event or a few simple, special hours in the evening after a day trapped away at work. It's a beautiful day to celebrate and bask in, and one that lives on peacefully with each year that passes by the world...

Well, that's what Hallmark tells us each year.

We all certainly have something about this mushy holiday we dislike, and this thread is the place to get that out of your system and find others who agree with it. Just in case, y'know, your significant other or jacking hand don't want to hear you complaining when you're at home with a bottle of wine in your sad veins. I sure do want to hear complaints though, so please by all means, fire away!

What's not to like about sex?

Thank you for this thread. I thought about making one, but I do enough hateful things already. This sums up Vday to me:

"Every day it just gets grayer and grayer. Then one day you wake up, and it's the grayest day you've ever seen. Then the next day it's even grayer! That's usually around Valentine's Day and you look at your wrists and you think 'Maybe I should slit them so I can see some color.'"

The commercials oh my god they are everywhere. Those things are the fastest way for me to hate a holiday. I love holidays, just not all the hype surrounded by it.
But I'm also not much of a fan of all the hearts, roses, and pink/red everywhere. It feels a little overwhelming.

That it would have the audacity to take place so close to my birthday.

People bugging me about having one. Like, people expect me to...love?
5021886_orig.gif

People expect me to have someone to love?

Reactions: LeVen and ElBell
When people complain about how they hate valentines day. Either because A) they have no valentine (too bad, don't ruin it for everyone else, hell, maybe use the day to get one), or B) That they have to actually buy someone something or somethin' like that.

I've had the great luck/misfortune to always get dumped before valentines day. Isn't that wonderful? I don't mind Valentines day, but It isn't a very memorable holiday. It usually comes and goes in a meh fashion. Who knows, maybe I'll survive this one?

Reactions: Lady B
When people judge me for buying all those pink boxes of chocolate, because they KNOW I'm single. Like, fuck off, I can buy my pink chocolate if I damn well want to.

But the whole thing about love being the best thing ever, it sort of gets to me. I'm asexual and not all that romantically inclined, so it's all lost on me because wtf, just exist somewhere in my general direction and I'm all good. Plus, it's everywhere and to escape it you'd have to cut your heart out with a rusty spork and bury it on a deserted island somewhere in the Caribbean. And after that you go on to terrorize the seas with your undead ship.

I just enjoy the candy, man.

The concept is pretty sweet, though. The hype ruins it.

Reactions: LeVen and Flame
Fortunately enough, I live in a nation full of perpetually angry people who don't really celebrate Valentine, so I don't have to deal with the pink nonsense. We're intelligent enough to decide when and how we want to celebrate our love, dammit!

Reactions: ElBell
The hype ruins it.
This. V-day at my house it often just an extra few moments of silence between the hubby and I, trying to reconnect on some level. We don't buy into the hype over it, we don't go overboard; but we do acknowledge it. I don't expect the money to be spent, (It's better spent elsewhere) he doesn't expect skimpy sexy underthings; just our time and each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Koschei
You should love as intensely and show your gratitude for everyone you "love" EVERY FUCKING DAY...not just on valentines. It shouldn't only be about a significant other, Love isn't nearly as shallow as this holiday has made it. So my problem with the holiday is simple.

I have a man that takes care of me everyday of his life. He works hard and he goes out of his way to make me happy EVERYDAY.

...and if your wondering, I got ALL the valentines cards in school and it made me want to murder people. Irony.

Oh, I forgot about that thing where people shame you for not having a significant other. And you feel bad about it because you don't get anything in return, despite giving, and it just sort of makes you feel useless and unwanted.

Which is why I stopped trying and why I'm only in it for the candy.

The thing I hate about V-day, well every freaking year I am reminded by my bff that I should get a partner. So behind my back my bff signs me up on stupid blind-dates which all end badly. So in the end I just buy my own candy and celebrate another v-day being single by watching horror movies.

Reactions: dragonesper
Status
Not open for further replies.