These spam bots are getting silly...

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no 100% surefire way to stop ALL spammers. It is a constant catchup game AND many places employ real life people whose purpose is to register on websites and give the logins to the spammers.

• Thank You
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
But why wouldn't I love more followers for my righteous cause? :P
"My enemy's enemies are my allies" has been the death of many a great warrior.

Reactions: Hana
There is no 100% surefire way to stop ALL spammers. It is a constant catchup game AND many places employ real life people whose purpose is to register on websites and give the logins to the spammers.
Well damn, if it's real people getting them in I'm not sure what else there is to do. :/

You'd think an account made a human though would at least make the spam less... generic.

Well damn, if it's real people getting them in I'm not sure what else there is to do. :/

You'd think an account made a human though would at least make the spam less... generic.
The goal is typically exposure, not deception. They just want to get copies fast, and the people likely aren't being payed enough to write something good.

What they do is register the account, and then add the login name and password to a system. o_o then the system runs the spamming bots with a timed feature. It'll periodically keep posting topics and threads every few days/weeks/month or whatever they have the timer on.

If we DIDN'T catch that spambot and delete it, it would come back to spam again later too. O_O

They only need real people to get past registering, everything after that could be automated

The goal is typically exposure, not deception. They just want to get copies fast, and the people likely aren't being payed enough to write something good.
Except with spam bots I don't even look at what they're selling.
Their writing throws me off instantly so I'm already looking up Monty Python spam to put in my 'reason for reporting' section.
What they do is register the account, and then add the login name and password to a system. o_o then the system runs the spamming bots with a timed feature. It'll periodically keep posting topics and threads every few days/weeks/month or whatever they have the timer on.

If we DIDN'T catch that spambot and delete it, it would come back to spam again later too. O_O

They only need real people to get past registering, everything after that could be automated
Well I get that after the creation they only need a bot. I'm just shocked that since there's that human effort at all that spam ads aren't at least decent.

They have those shittily worded posts like that, because most sites have special post filters for picking up spam phrases and keywords, especially for the kind of copy-pasted content that spambots use.

So if it was in good english, the filters would flag their posts faster. D:

Does this mean all my posts are being filtered for spam too then?

Everyone's posts are auto-screen by the system! If a post gets flagged, it sends it to a moderation queue for the admin to review and see if it's actually spam or not. (That includes all registered accounts when they are first created.)

Our spam blocker system is actually REALLY GOOD so MOST spambots are blocked and never make it through registration to even make a flagged post. I think we've only had one or two real member posts get flagged in the past year.

But as you can see, a few still slip through. D: We're actually getting hit by spambots CONSTANTLY. The ones you see are only a tiny fraction of how many are trying to register and send posts through.

So in other words, I'm just catching what falls through the cracks with Monty Python? :P

No one looks at or can see those video links you've been sending. XD It's better to just write "spam" when you report them.

No one looks at or can see those video links you've been sending. XD It's better to just write "spam" when you report them.
Then what's the point of the "Reason for reporting" section? D:

We can read the TEXT. But it doesn't post a video. It just posts the text link in there and doesn't even auto link it. And we're all too damned busy to watch some randomass video someone sends in with a spam report. D: Do you know how much stuff gets reported in one day?

We can read the TEXT. But it doesn't post a video. It just posts the text link in there and doesn't even auto link it. And we're all too damned busy to watch some randomass video someone sends in with a spam report. D: Do you know how much stuff gets reported in one day?
Over 9000?

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Status
Not open for further replies.