Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
The Forest is calm. The sea-ice in the North, the Easterly mountains, the Southerly beaches and the West's flatlands are quiet. Only the stories of the ancient Sky Pack remain and their obsolete territory has grown over in the Forest's centre. The guardians of the Forest are consigned now to memory.

But not for long.

The days always seemed long to Pebble. Her elder healer would send her out to the fields and make her uproot herbs from the ground to carry them back to the healers dens. She longed for the day when she would become a fully trained healer herself, and maybe be allowed to leave the borders of her pack. But she was still young, and as her elder had said, she had a long way to go. The morning birds tittered in the trees amongst themselves, and Pebble made her way down to the center of the pack's grounds to route out some playmates.

Threaded through the Sage Alpha's fur were lots of roses - a wizened older wolf, he sat beneath an acacia and took a long breath. His only daughter, the youngest of his five children, lay beside him with a crown of waterlilies round her ears. Delphi had picked them herself and one of her brothers had woven them into a chain to wear; every Sage wolf knew that water-borne flowers held natural spiritual properties, and Delphi had never spent a moment of her life without some sort of talisman to ward off evil spirits and keep her close to the Star Pack. The sun was kind to the Western flatlands her pack roamed, and Delphi basked in it with her father beside her, the light picking up golden strands in her chestnut fur.

Bran stalked through the jungle-like bowl of woodland beneath his pack's mountains, a few other wolves at his shoulder. They were chasing rabbits for dinner, leaping over fallen branches and sneezing when pollen in the humid air got up their noses. Everything was vibrant and green in the shadow of the mountain; the sun was in the West so the mountain-top was cool, but heat stuck to them diligently here in the depths of the valley.

A sleek golden shimmer passed through the undergrowth of the Central Forest, where the Sky Pack's old territory stood famously in peaceful ruin, overgrown with long grasses and small animals who'd made the old dens their new homes. Selkis crouched in the shadows. She'd heard rumour of wolves hanging about here, as if guarding it - she wanted to find out if there was any truth to it, though she missed the Southern sun already.

Toothfish was covered in seal's blood. It stained his thick white fur a startling scarlet - his dark eyes made all the more intense against the unusual burst of colour. He padded comfortably back across the sea-ice to where his tiny pack was a growing speck on the snow at the frozen ocean's edge. His breath came raggedly to him. Lately, hunting had become more and more gratifying, to the point where he'd forego meals to stay out and catch more - kill more. Still, his pack praised his diligence. Little did they know, it was slowly becoming more about spilling blood than feeding his family.

Raelicka sat patiently, listening to her Alpha's ramblings. Though she paid little attention, she still sat at the foot of the dais, back tall and overlooking the rest of the wolves. Her sisters and brothers sat either side of her, each as snow-white as she.

Melete lay in the small sunlight that snuck through the trees, just enough for her to bask in without providing danger. The murky purple fog that covered the Inner Forest assisted with filtering it out so it didn't hurt her. Her blood-stained paws dangled in the flowing stream, letting the crystalline water carry away the remains of her last kill.

Phaezro stalked through the underbrush, seeking out a scent. He'd noted the presence of a non-demon the instance he'd arrived, somehow having gotten through to the very heart of the ancient territory. He was determined to find her.

Caicias sprinted through the trees, enjoying the brief absence of the murk that allowed him to explore the thick undergrowth he considered his home. He enjoyed the absence of the demon wolves, pleased that he could finally scout out new territory.

Frinz was preoccupied with hunting down a rabbit near the Sky Pack borders. He was supposed to be stationed on guard duty, but he quickly decided guard duty was boring. And anyway, nobody came around anymore. Sky Pack was long gone and mostly overgrown with weeds.Flat-out deserted, really. Decay floated in the air. His black eyes watched the rabbit twitch its ears primly, and then bound slightly forward, then stop. He pounced, but didn't administer a killing bite. That would be too straight forward, and he wanted to stretch this out a little. Frinz held the thing in its claws, watching it struggle. Futile, desperate thing. He'd enjoy taking its ears off first, and maybe if it was still clinging on then he'd entertain himself with the rest. The other guards, they didn't understand the beauty of these things. There was a special process to it, and when you caught yourself a prize like this you deserved to savour it.

Hock watched the sun go up with dim eyes, understanding vaguely this experience was supposed to be special. His mother had told him that in her lucid moments. That the sunrise was important, and the day's significance depended on whether the surrounding clouds were orange or red when the sun came up. Red sky in the morning, brings warning, red sky at night, gives out delight.
The clouds were orange. Good. The thought slipped from his head the way most thoughts seemed to slip.

Cairo sat in her den, her eyes open but body unmoving. There was a meeting scheduled today, that she knew. The mornings never brought clarity to her, always making her function slow. If she had gotten better sleep the night prior, perhaps her situation would be different on this fine morning. Light streamed through the doorway to her den, and with that silent signal, she finally got to her feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Selkis continued to explore, coasting closer to where she knew the very heart of the Forest itself, and the ancient Sky Pack grounds, stood. As she got nearer, however, she noticed a thin mist seeping from seemingly the trees themselves - it was, in its thicker parts, almost lilac in colour. She froze. She'd never seen or heard about anything like it. She straightened up, glad to regain her regal stature as opposed to crawling about in the undergrowth like a common wolf, and watched it curl its tendrils in the air. Was it guarding the old Sky grounds? If so, it would surely recognise her blood and let her pass - she fleetingly imagined it conjuring a crown to place on her head. But it was too risky an assumption to make - if it was ill-omened, she could be suffocated by it, or worse.

Set ablaze by the sinking sun, the flatlands glowed and the black shapes of bow-legged prey moved across the horizon. Delphi sat beneath the tree she'd chosen - a smaller acacia near her father, decorated with her usual self-made talismans and cleansed with river water - and watched them go. Looking the other way, she could see the shadows cast by the Western Forest where it started to get denser and closer to the Centre. She'd never left the flatlands, or her family's side. Delphi loved her pack and her Star Pack, and what good would she do leaving them?
Nevertheless... the Forest called to her. It always had.

Just as things started to get interesting, Frinz felt the rabbit thrown out of his grasp and and hurled upwards. He turned around swiftly, and before him were three other demon guards. Frinz frowned. "Whatcha do that for? I had it!" The first one, a handsome, rough-looking demon, stepped forward. The others helped to dispatch the rabbit swiftly in the background. "It's ours now." The three chuckled as if Frinz had made a good joke. The truth was, when the days and nights grew tedious from guard duty, they entertained themselves in a different way. By intimidating the strange, weakest one of their stationed group. And Frinz was strange.
The handsome one, (always always instigator) moved forward suddenly, making Frinz yip and move backwards so quickly he fell over.
"I caught it." Frinz said miserably, face lowered to the ground and ears flattened against his head.

Despite the sky and clouds proving themselves to benevolent, Hock felt a odd wave of foreboding wash over him. A primal instinct, almost like that day by the rivers when he had been chasing that runt wolf with old friends. He twitched his ear against his scar, feeling the painful reminder. Another part of him made him want to advance forward and feel that danger head-on, maybe hurt whatever was making him so conflicted.

Cairo made her way through the pack, greeting the few in Osiris Pack who tolerated her. She stopped by the kill pile to take a shrew in her jaws, opening her mouth wide to accommodate it. She wondered if Delphi would be awake by this time.

Raelicka looked out over the sea of grey, black and white. These wolves all claimed that the blood of Winter flowed through them to some extent. And yet it was her family who shone a little brighter, were a whole lot whiter. She could swear sometimes that she felt an icy spirit correcting her posture- as it did now, nudging her straighter, directing her gaze to a particularly old wolf staring at her with disdain. Her gentle gaze swiftly switched to an icy glare, meeting the eyes of the old wolf. They quickly bowed their head, and she returned to surveying the pack; and then past them, out over the scenery. The dais was on the edge of the mountain, facing the long drop below and overlooking the forest. She could see the faint mist that swirled about its centre; a dark, ugly purple. And she could feel a faint tugging, urging her to explore it. But she couldn't. Her place was here.

Caicias paused, eyeing the deeper woods. The mist was attempting to lure him in again. Calling to him, promising fortune and powers if he joined. Yet he couldn't shake the feeling there were horrible secrets awaiting him should he plunge into its depths. Even so...he could feel the pull. It was weak, faint, yet somehow it called to him, encouraged him.
He was tempted.

Phaezro snarled. The wolf was nearing the Sky Pack grounds. Despite their best efforts, they'd never been able to penetrate the mist that lay around the final centre point of Sky Pack's territory. He couldn't let them in; he refused. Abandoning stealth, opting instead to scare the wolf off, a ground-shaking roar ripped free of his throat, paws enlarging and legs elongating as he crashed through the forest towards the intruder.

Selkis heard a roar and swung around to face a red-eyed wolf charging at her - ever nimble, she leapt out of his way and her pelt prickled. She stood her ground, baring her teeth.

The sun had almost set; Delphi hung her waterlily crown on a low-hanging, spidery branch and padded into the centre of her pack. The Sage wolves had each chosen a tree to sleep beneath, in full view of the stars - the eyes of their benevolent gods - and watched her. The blissful quiet drew focus to her as she batted her tail and craned her neck to look up at each bright star in turn. Then, with the protective gaze of her rose-adorned father warm on her back, she began to recite her nightly prayer aloud. The Sage Pack was silent as she spoke. Delphi was something of an oracle among them. Though she couldn't see why she was anything special, her pack swore she'd prophesied a coming flood as a pup whose early memories were now lost; since then, she'd been the one to champion loyalty and faith in the Star Pack. To other packs, especially those in the North and East, her traditions and quirks might've seemed silly - but she wouldn't give them up for the world.

((Oh shit i accidently put Delphi instead of Selkis)

Pebble ferried herbs back and forth for most of the morning, but on her fourth trip, this time to different field, a ripple of deja vu seemed to run through her brain. She peered around her area with wide large blue eyes, and noticed a mist steadily falling over the herbs. The fog was purple in colour, and steadily seeping into the ground. The herbs curled up and wilted at its touch.

Just as Frinz thought the three would leave, happy with what they set out to do. The leader, (who's name dredged upwards in Frinz's mind as Quint) hauled him from the ground. Frinz winced. Inflicting pain felt good, but when it others did it to him it suddenly didn't feel so swell at all. "Captain doesn't like inefficiency, you know. You got side-tracked with your little rabbit. We're supposed to be guarding." Frinz wanted to point out that they technically weren't guarding either, but he kept his mouth shut.
"You're right." Frinz moved away from Quint and his group submissively, "I'm going to- get back to it."
"Not so fast." Two wolves blocked his pathway. "We ought to teach him not to do it again."
Frinz blinked, unsure of what his next move was.

Phaezro growled, shadows shifting and swirling around him. No wolf had dared face him before. He bared his elongated teeth in a snarl, fighting back the transformation. "Leave." he snarled at her. "Or die."

"Now now boys, don't you think that's a little harsh?" a gentle voice crooned from the shadows. Melete stepped into view, body swaying with an idle sassiness as she strutted over. "You stole the kid's kill. I think you'll be happy to remember that your beloved Captain don't like kill stealing either, now does he?"

Quint eyed his captain, suddenly falling from his allocated place of ruthless persecutor to another demon amongst a whole pack of others. Frinz looked up hopefully, dark eyes wild and happy to see Melete. He scrambled to his feet, distancing himself away from the three and moving closer to his saviour.
"We shouldn't have taken his kill, captain." Quint lowered his head, and the other wolves eyed each other guiltily. Frinz found himself smiling, mouth parted slightly in a silent thank-you to the heavens. If they had actually got him, they would beat him to a pulp, surely, and maybe humiliate him in some way too. He knew most demons didn't like him, or either had no opinion of him. He kept to himself mostly, almost disjointed and unsure of the place he inhabited.

Cairo made her way to the meeting rock, two hours early to the meeting but happy to simply sit in the morning sun for a while. She valued her time by herself, glad she had no foolish pups to talk to. They expected her to impart some wisdom on them every time, and every time she came up short. Her intelligence went towards diplomacy and charming the nearby packs, not acting as an entertainer.

Selkis felt a shiver claw up her spine as she forced herself to maintain eye contact with the wolf. No - Demon. He had to be one, there was no other explanation, though up until that very moment Selkis had dismissed the notion that they even existed anymore. But those eyes, and that faintly sour scent...
"Don't you know who I am?" She haughtily lifted her chin and tried to be subtle as she moved backwards a fraction.

Melete let out an airy chuckle, a subtle step placing her a little further between Frinz and the three captives. "No, you should not have. Now, I believe you three said something about the fact you should be guarding." Her airy tone dropped on the last word, replaced with warning, a flash of red briefly showing in her eyes as she levelled her gaze at Quint.

Phaezro huffed. "No, and neither do I care. You are not demon; your rank has no place here." He picked up on the step, and grinned, taking a firm step forward, almost lurching towards her. "Do you know, dear soul, who I am?"

Selkis bristled, anger blossoming in her belly now that she wasn't in immediate danger, though her heart still thundered fearfully. She wasn't used to being disrespected like this - in the Southern Forest, everyone knew who she was, and she intended to make a name for herself in the wider woods just like her ancestor, Osiris, had done. For now, all she could do was use his name as leverage.
"A Demon - that's all I need to know. You're all the same," she spat hotly. "I've more right to be here than you - I had that right even as a blind pup. I've got Sky blood in me. I belong here!"

"Yes, right away captain." Quint nodded fearfully at the flash of red and began to move back to his post. The other two sloped off with him, both staring at Frinz over their shoulders. Frinz let out a mad laugh, rejoicing. He mourned the loss of his rabbit, in the back of his mind, but he was mostly happy Quint didn't get to him. He turned to Melete, something that served as a soft, tentative smile on his face. His gaze was still lowered, his stance submissive, but there was a newfound friendliness in him. Mostly the other demons would watch with some interest as Quint and his gang, or maybe some other group, found new ways to make him bawl with panic and terror, (weak stupid weak weak) so it struck him odd and different that someone had intervened. It was the captain, too. It dawned on him that the captain was pretty, not like a rabbit's soft face is, but pretty with a tinge of something else. Deadliness, maybe.

Hock blundered towards the feeling, where it was emanating the strongest in the forest. After living in the forest in solitary for years after leaving his old pack, this felt new to him. New and bold, but also frightening, like Star Pack's Gods.

Phaezro barked a laugh. "I'm not just a demon, though you'll see that soon enough anyway if you don't scram. Sky pack don't exist. We killed their descendants long ago, when they abandoned this world to its fate and us Demons took the land that belonged to us. Does your lore tell you that? How the ancient Sky Pack one day just up and left, letting us take over, despite fighting so long against us?" He grinned. "I'm sure it doesn't. And I'm sure it's omitted some of the more terrifying points about our own history."

Melete chuckled softly. "I reckon you've had enough of them shoving you around for a little while. You're decent at handling yourself from what I've seen, so you can take a little break. Your name's Frinz, yes?"

Caicias paused, noting what almost looked like an opening in the mists. He looked once at the pack territory behind him, then straight ahead. They wouldn't miss him much, he was hardly ever there.
He plunged into the woods, sprinting for his life towards that signal.

Selkis' eyes flashed. She searched to feel something stir within her, some kind of ancient magic waking in her time of need to help her assert herself over this bottom-feeder - but nothing came. She growled.
"You're vile. And when we meet again, with my fleet of Sky wolves behind me, following my every command - that's when I'll kill you."
She backed away, then turned from him, mostly to hide the flush beneath her fur at the fact she really was running back to Mummy. Nothing like Osiris; her blood boiled with shame. It was all she could do not to break into a sprint.

Phaezro's barked laugh seemed to bounce around the trees, chasing the she-wolf out. He shook his head, chuckling as he turned. "Sky wolf indeed."

Frinz eyes lightened at the prospect of taking a break. He wanted to say that guard duty was nearly a waste of time, considering no one came to these parts anyway, but to say that near a captain would be disrespectful. "Y-yeah, my name's Frinz." He glowed slightly at being called decent, chest puffing proudly. Here he was talking to the captain, having them actually engage him in conversation instead of pitying him, while the handsome Quint and his gang had been sent away. His ears perked slightly as they walked around the perimeter. Had he heard something?

Hock fell into the clearing, crushing knee-high grass. He felt sickness in the area, just as he had felt in his pack. There seemed to be other wolves in the distance, but there was something odd about them. Their teeth were large in their mouths as they talked, body shapes almost disproportionate to the normal wolf. He realised he was near Sky Pack territory, and backed a few steps away. The place should have been empty, but it was occupied.

Status
Not open for further replies.