The Witch's Son

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salem fell asleep right when he retired into his old rocking chair. He was plagued with bad dreams. Again? Oh, there must be a spell for that. He would have to remind himself that in the morning. After he goes to the market. And after he stars the potion. Salem often had bad dreams, but they were just of past experiences. Either of the day he had, or of his past life. Oh, but this one was different.

It was what would become of Salem if Belphegor did leave him- oh, it was absolutely terrible thought. Salem awoke in a heated sweat, and looked around frantically for nothing at all. Thats when he saw Belphegor, just sitting there. He looked so... Different. It was odd, but he looked at peace. His silhouette was just faintly noticeable against the beautiful morning sky. But then, it hit him. It wasn't just the sky that was beautiful, it was Belphegor that was beautiful. With the way that his dark hair fell over his eyes, and the way that Salem's clothing stuck to his skin so loosely. It was just so pretty. Salem really couldn't help but stare.

Belphegor felt somewhat calmer now. Or maybe that wasn't the right expression. It felt as if the night air had washed him clean of his confused thoughts. He didn't want to move, neither to get up (though it was morning), nor to go back to bed (though he felt as if now he might be able to fall asleep); it felt good to sit here and look into the distance of the sky. He knew now what he was looking for when he ran away, and when he wanted to sleep.
Then he thought he heard something, or felt something move - he turned back towards the house, where the shadows still remained, and gave a sad little smile, and spoke, even though he didn't really have to, even though he didn't have any urgent information to give, just because he wanted to.
"Good morning."

Salem watched intently as he turned around and smiled. He had a pretty smile. All of his teeth were white and beautiful and flawless. Salem watched his every movement, till he snapped out of his trance. " Oh, yes... Good morning. " Salem stood from his rocking chair, and put both of his hands on his back. Oh, he needed someone to get that knot out. Salem rubbed slightly, and turned to Belphegor.

" I'm going to go to the market to get some things. I'll be back, but please, don't stray too far from here, alright? I know you know your way around, but I would rather that you stay here, and not get hurt. " Salem said, as he walked over towards the small cabinet, where he kept his extra clothing. He put on a large jacket, and pulled up the hood- to cover his eyes. He also pulled up the collar half way, so that way it covered his mouth. Better safe than sorry.

Belphegor was slightly disappointed. He had resolved to talk, and only knew how much he wanted to when he heard that it would have to wait. He was also worried; it was difficult not to worry when Salem went to the market. That was a dangerous place, full of humans who didn't like him. He couldn't see why someone would not like him, but then it was probably due to some human reason he didn't understand.
But being alone wasn't necessarily bad. What he was thinking about was a lonely thing he could share with no one, not even Salem; it was a lonely thing for everyone who ever met it. He knew, he had been a hunter and had killed very many times.
As soon as he was alone, he started walking around the house. He stopped every few steps, looked at everything, touched everything; in a way it was like seeing them for the first time. His new perspective made everything different, and all the memories these familiar objects recalled in him had a different importance now. He wanted to remember all of this, and what it was like to belong here, wherever he would go.
And then he went back to bed after all. He had been right; he could sleep now.

Salem walked out of the door later that morning, and trekked in silence. He was deep in thought. Alright, so, he had everything he needed with him. A weapon, incase things go wrong, and fake money that he crafted earlier along the way. It was just a simple transmutation, it didn't take any energy at all. He just changed a few rocks into lumps of money. That would be enough, right? Right, he had nothing to be nervous about.

As soon as Salem entered the village, he went into the marketplace. He was sure to buy plenty of clothing- along with some ingredients that he would use to make the potion. Some gave him odd looks, but they didn't ask. Salem sadly paid for the clothing and the spices, and soon left with what he had. It took him slower to go back this time, because he took his time. He was simply consumed in negativity, and he just hoped and prayed that Belphegor would still be there when he returned.

As he thought that, he entered the door and sighed. The witch sauntered towards the small bedroom, and peaked his head through. He was there. He was safe. He kept his promise.

Last edited:
Belphegor slept without dreams; he slept knowing he was sleeping. And even in the deepest of his sleep part of him was constantly listening for Salem to arrive home.
When he heard the door open he knew immediately that it was him. He lingered a moment more to gather his courage and strength for the coming day; facing him and talking to him was going to be the difficult part. Then he sat up and looked back at the witch. He seemed to be all right, the humans hadn't hurt him. That was a relief. A selfish part of him also thought it was a relief that he didn't have to stay just because his friend is wounded, he can now leave him in good conscience. He smiled.
But not yet, of course. Now he wanted to talk, he had only so much resolve to not let himself get detoured again, and he wanted to have it over and done with.
"I want to talk."

Salem blinked. Talk? Talk about what? Was it the clothing that he brought? No, it couldn't be. Belphegor had just learned about clothing the other day, he surely couldn't have made a decision about what he liked so far... Maybe it was the food he brought home earlier? Well, it surely couldn't of been that. Belphegor had always liked squirrel! What on earth did he want to talk about?

" Talk? " Salem repeated. " Talk about what? "

Belphegor shook his head, at a loss. He had so much to say. He had so much he promised himself he would say. So much that it seemed an impossible task to talk for so long at once. He really did want to start at the beginning, but at this moment, as he looked up at the face of his friend, he suddenly feared that the next moment he would lose his chance once again and not say anything at all, and he uttered the first thing that came to his mind, the conclusion - the conclusion that he in his innocence didn't know one just doesn't talk about.
"I have to die."

Salem's heart stopped. No, no, his entire world stopped. Death? No, that isn't something that was happening in his lifetime. Good lord, no. Not while Salem was still kicking. Salem shook his head, and turned to Belphegor to see if he really was serious. The look on his face seemed dead serious. " No, no! You... You can't leave me. You said you wouldn't leave me! You have to stay- look, I got you clothes. And some more spices! I'm making your potion for you... "

Salem was a frantic mess. He needed something- anything to keep Belphegor on the earth. Oh god, if he left like his mother did leave, Salem would probably end himself as well. Salem was now looking for reasons for Belphegor to stay. To stay with him. His mind, as well as his heart was spinning out of proportion, and he only came out with one thing to stay.

" Please... " His plea was broken, much like his voice. " I love you... "

Belphegor was confused by this outburst, and for an entire minute he just stared and didn't know what to say. He had never seen Salem so... horror-struck. His words had changed everything yet again, and now he didn't understand anything anymore.
But that meant he had to explain himself all the more, because there must have been something wrong in his reasoning, and he didn't know what. Salem would help, surely, but only if he saw the error.
So then slowly, word for word he started recounting everything to his friend. How he felt rejected, how he thought that it must be his human shape, as nothing else had changed. How he knew he had no place in the world without Salem, and that even if he turned back they couldn't forget... and he didn't even want to forget, because that wouldn't be true. His sentences were broken in many places and often he had to stop to regain his voice and fight back the tears that threatened again. But he had to.
Because he couldn't stand the way Salem looked at him, and if he had to live for a hundred years to make that expression of alarm and pain disappear, he would, even if every day of it hurt this much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Salem was flabbergasted. He made Belphegor feel like that? Oh god, he never meant him to feel rejected in any sort. And even if they were able to get Belphegor back into his regular shape- and they were able to- would things really be different? Well... THAT was a stupid question. Yes, there would be a difference in their relationship, but it wasn't anything that bad, right? Right?

Salem walked towards Belphegor, and cupped his face with his hands. " Whatever you want to do- whatever it may be, I'll be by you one-hundred percent, okay? If you want to leave, I can help you get started... If you want a normal life, I'll help you. If you still want to learn magic- whatever magic! White magic, black magic, voodoo, summoning demons or angels or anything, I'll help you. You're a human now, alright? I can teach you how to hunt, and how to build a house of your own. You can leave, if you wanted to. I trust you, and I love you. " Salem pulled him into an embrace.

" You can do anything you want, but don't end yourself like that. "

Belphegor forgot to breathe for a while as he felt the warmth of Salem's hands on his face. He didn't dare move or speak, lest this moment ends. But when it did, and he found himself in his friend's arms instead, he suddenly felt again, as he did when he was a cat, that when one good moment ends, there will always be a next. And, at least for now, he wasn't afraid anymore. He could feel Salem's heartbeat against his chest. "I can't leave...", he whispered into his shoulder. "Only if I die. I can't leave you."

Salem held onto him for dear life. He hadn't held anyone like that since the time he held his mother, and that was before she left him. Salem buried his face into the shoulders of Belphegor, and kept him close.

Salem would let him do what he wanted- he had a sound body now. He could do what he wanted with it, as long as it wasn't harming him. Salem would do everything in his power to make sure that Belphegor would never be harmed in any way.

Belphegor suddenly knew what was happening. They were re-doing yesterday. They'd unraveled what had happened since everything went wrong, and now they were continuing it as it should have been. He recalled Salem's words; humans don't do that unless they have a certain amount of affection for each other. He was tired of speaking now, but he had to say it.
"We can do this," he said slowly, "because you love me. Because I love you."

END OF FIRST CHAPTER

Status
Not open for further replies.