The Warden|OOC (Sterling x Astra)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here I go, piece by piece, my comments are in blue.

I agree that we're close to starting :) not sure when the site update is happening, but I don't mind waiting until afterward it does if that's what you prefer.

Chieftain Origin Tribe
I had written down the Pomesanian Tribe, which was the first tribe to be subdued being situated along the inland east bank of the Vistula River ... Did you want something more specific?
Nope! That's totally fine by me.

As for the layout of the town, I was thinking about drafting up the design myself. My idea was to have a town near a body of water (fishing and defense) with a walled section and an unwalled section. The Teutonic Knights would not tolerate a full-blown military installation, but there are a number of subtle ways to bolster the town's defensibility. I'll send you a sketch?
I like these subtle defenses a lot, and would appreciate a sketch if you have time to make one!

Death of Mentor and Chieftain
Just to clarify ... Stovamel and Velna would want to settle into a domestic life, and the Village (though questionable strategically) offers the best chance to capitalize on a quiet life, when life can be snuffed out fairly quickly.

Vilkas is not so much looking to settle down, but needs to remain stationary due to his wounds. The old woodsman wants to keep striding across the landscape and getting into adventures, but his venerable age and injures are catching up with him. Waldemar is a restless soul, and being tied down annoys him ... thus, his best friend and mentor slowing him down forces him to see situations in a different light.
Gotcha. But do you mean that Vilkas wants to settle down in Härtzen? Or like, back at some Teutonic enclave?

As for the friendship, I was referring to the Chieftain and Mentor being friends or sharing a begrudging respect. Two old men, both dogs of war and a hard life, have some tales to share and (some degree of) common character. I can see the pagan raid surprising everyone, and the Chieftain defending his home with the wounded Mentor still inside ... Mentor emerges, sword drawn, knowing he's much better trained than the Chieftain ... Both go down defending the other.
Love it. Ugh, it's going to be so sad.

As for Vyga and Waldemar, I expect they will get on each other's nerves until Waldemar hauls her brother back from the wild. I was also thinking (touching on a few of your mores comments) that Waldemar abstains from drinking alcohol excessively. His high, natural tolerance and deceit would have contributed to his escape, and he'd avoid becoming drunk ... always wanting to be on-guard. Having said that, maybe he imbibes during the wedding, and he and Vyga share a kiss ... only to snap out of it the next morning? Regretful? Awkward?
I love regretful/awkward moments in RPs. So I like this plan. What if she, already a bit drunk, goads him into drinking more, and they bet on who can have the most, whoever wins gets a favor, or (depending on how drunk the person setting the stakes is) a kiss?

Joker's Wife, Velna
She kinda needy, in a nurturing way. She'll want to become close with the female characters in the Village. The pagan ladies can get details about Wakdemar and the BOK from her ... those she's razor sharp, and will be one of the first to uncover the Village's pagan roots.
Ace. Good to know. Would she act on it, though? Or stay silent?

Vyga's Younger Brother
Go ahead and make a CS for the younger brother. I think he will be a barometer of sentiment for the Village. So, switching from fascination with the pagan lifestyle to admiring the BOK's, like you suggest. That would drive Vyga crazy! Maybe he bonds with some or all of the main characters. Maybe he becomes a squire to Konrad (the Master) ... I can see the Master dying for the younger brother at the end of the story.
I really like this, and of having him be a barometer of sorts for the village. It would drive Vyga crazy, yeah, lol, but that's contributing to why I'm so keen to have it happen! On a similar vein I like him being a squire. Hope Konrad doesn't die though! I feel like the two of them could have proper adventures together :( but if it's the best thing for the narrative, so be it. Here's something I just put together:
Ansas; The Son
Q4Ykt6c.png
Name: Ansas
Affiliation: Town of Härtzen
Nationality/Ethnicity: Bartian Prussian
Personality: Kind-hearted, Plucky, Quiet
Information: One of the children taken in by Wargôn.

Attending to the Dead
The sources are not crystal clear about who gets burned and who gets buried. If pressed, I might admit that the burying on hills might be a Lithuanian custom. Regardless, perhaps we'll need to concoct a position and justify how it has been practiced under the noses of the Teutonic Knights. The Advocate would have been a part of every funeral, and expects a burial.

What if ... What if the Village participates in a bit of trickery:
  • Someone dies.
  • The body is preserved in cold. (Pagan custom, imparting blessings, under guise of waiting for monks to arrive and bestow their Christian blessing.)
  • Knight, non-combat monk, or priest (probably the Advocate) arrives and blesses body.
  • Villagers switch dead body with coffin (nailed shut) filled with grain.
  • Christian officiant provides blessing during burial, then leaves.
  • Pagan priest arrives ... He mysteriously seems to know when someone has or will die. He brings pagan Galindians and they carry body back to scared grove in Galindia for proper pagan burning.
  • Villagers stay in village, swear they see ghost of deceased or dream about deceased. Repeat cycle?
Thoughts? This is just one idea ... They can bury them exclusively ... Or only burn those of noble birth.

That would be so sneaky! But I think it's something they would only do for nobles, or people who the villagers are really keen on burying properly, since it might arouse suspicion. I guess it's a small and relatively new village, though, so maybe they haven't seen that much death, and they can actually pull it off? Would the Advocate ever allow a burning? Or would they have sought 'permission' from the pagan priest to bury people in the ground?

The opening scene you write could be the Pagan priest and Galindians taking the Grandmother's body from the winter? Just a thought.
I was hoping the grandma could die once the BOK are in the village and so Vyga could direct her anger at them? And then they could have gotten to know the granny as well and also possibly mourned her loss with the village. But now I'm not sure, since I like the other option: perhaps it be better for the BOK to arrive with Vyga (and some of the village I presume) already angry at them and what they stand for for the grandma's unnecessary death? What do you think?

So, just to confirm
  1. That Pomesanian tribe is acceptable for the Chieftain. Yep
  2. Thoughts about a kiss at the wedding. Yep
  3. Younger brother CS. Yep
  4. Thoughts about burial practices. Yep
Then, I'd like to start? Should I write the first post, or would you like to? Either way, I'll start the Thread with an intro post. I'd like to do this once the site update is complete.
Honestly I'd prefer if you take the wheel first, since you know so much more about the setting than I do, and then I can follow suit and work with whatever tropes you've established. And like I mentioned above, I'm in no rush at all.

Reactions: Sterling
My answers in yellow ...

Death of Mentor and Chieftain
Vilkas is not so much looking to settle down, but needs to remain stationary due to his wounds. The old woodsman wants to keep striding across the landscape and getting into adventures, but his venerable age and injures are catching up with him. Waldemar is a restless soul, and being tied down annoys him ... thus, his best friend and mentor slowing him down forces him to see situations in a different light.
Gotcha. But do you mean that Vilkas wants to settle down in Härtzen? Or like, back at some Teutonic enclave?
I think it will be more a matter of Vilkas trying to shoulder his wounds in secret, hiding their true extent ... plus, the only real place that could attend to his wounds would be Rheden, the base of the asshole Rogue Knight and murderous Saxon Knight. Waldemar would not want to leave Vilkas there, since there will immediately be tension ... Brother von Rötzhiem will look down his nose at scouts and native knights, and will make their stay at Rheden as unwelcoming and uncomfortable as possible. Thus, the Advocate would gladly house and heal Vilkas as best able ... but, Vilkas will be getting worse, perhaps an infection and fever? Essentially, I see Vilkas devolving into critical condition ... and Waldemar takes a big slice of humble pie and asks Vyga to heal him, which would mean Vilkas would stay with the Chieftain and Daughter. Waldemar would frequent the house, he would snoop around (it's his nature), possibly find some pagan-related articles or clues (light bulb does not go off), and he gets to know Wargôn and Vyga more closely. In short, Waldemar could dump Vilkas at a Teutonic hospital, though he wants him nearby (attachment issues) and doesn't learn of the extent of Vilka's condition until they are already stuck on assignment patrolling the southern marches.

As for Vyga and Waldemar, I expect they will get on each other's nerves until Waldemar hauls her brother back from the wild. I was also thinking (touching on a few of your mores comments) that Waldemar abstains from drinking alcohol excessively. His high, natural tolerance and deceit would have contributed to his escape, and he'd avoid becoming drunk ... always wanting to be on-guard. Having said that, maybe he imbibes during the wedding, and he and Vyga share a kiss ... only to snap out of it the next morning? Regretful? Awkward?
I love regretful/awkward moments in RPs. So I like this plan. What if she, already a bit drunk, goads him into drinking more, and they bet on who can have the most, whoever wins gets a favor, or (depending on how drunk the person setting the stakes is) a kiss?
I love it ... let's write it that way.

Joker's Wife, Velna
She kinda needy, in a nurturing way. She'll want to become close with the female characters in the Village. The pagan ladies can get details about Waldemar and the BOK from her ... those she's razor sharp, and will be one of the first to uncover the Village's pagan roots.
Ace. Good to know. Would she act on it, though? Or stay silent?
I think ... Velna would be swallowing a storm of tension and guilt as the story progresses. Perhaps one of her observations is the first domino in the pagan's true beliefs coming to light? So, she'll feel a small comfort in some of the Villager's folk ways (being a Baltic native). But, then Stovamel will return from patrol and talk about what he's seen (because she has zero boundaries and wants to know everything), and she'll begin to piece together the situation. She will see Stovamel happy and settled after a decade of killing and danger, and not want to burst his bubble? At some point, she will definitely fess up.

Vyga's Younger Brother
Go ahead and make a CS for the younger brother. I think he will be a barometer of sentiment for the Village. So, switching from fascination with the pagan lifestyle to admiring the BOK's, like you suggest. That would drive Vyga crazy! Maybe he bonds with some or all of the main characters. Maybe he becomes a squire to Konrad (the Master) ... I can see the Master dying for the younger brother at the end of the story.
I really like this, and of having him be a barometer of sorts for the village. It would drive Vyga crazy, yeah, lol, but that's contributing to why I'm so keen to have it happen! On a similar vein I like him being a squire. Hope Konrad doesn't die though! I feel like the two of them could have proper adventures together :( but if it's the best thing for the narrative, so be it. Here's something I just put together:
First of all, I love the Son character. You find the BEST pictures! I'll add him to the roster. Second, let's go with Ansas idolizing Konrad ... especially after he kills the Saxon Knight in defense of the town. The model for Konrad is Kyuzo from the movie Seven Samurai ... who dies at the end of the film. Konrad's death is not set in stone ... it's refreshing to keep characters disposable, and the act would amount to a cost of conflict, an opportunity of sacrifice, Ansas flipping out ... we'll visit this topic later on in the story. If we find, after the Final Battle, that we want this story to continue, that would certainly be reason to keep Konrad around.

Attending to the Dead
The sources are not crystal clear about who gets burned and who gets buried. If pressed, I might admit that the burying on hills might be a Lithuanian custom. Regardless, perhaps we'll need to concoct a position and justify how it has been practiced under the noses of the Teutonic Knights. The Advocate would have been a part of every funeral, and expects a burial.

What if ... What if the Village participates in a bit of trickery:
  • Someone dies.
  • The body is preserved in cold. (Pagan custom, imparting blessings, under guise of waiting for monks to arrive and bestow their Christian blessing.)
  • Knight, non-combat monk, or priest (probably the Advocate) arrives and blesses body.
  • Villagers switch dead body with coffin (nailed shut) filled with grain.
  • Christian officiant provides blessing during burial, then leaves.
  • Pagan priest arrives ... He mysteriously seems to know when someone has or will die. He brings pagan Galindians and they carry body back to scared grove in Galindia for proper pagan burning.
  • Villagers stay in village, swear they see ghost of deceased or dream about deceased. Repeat cycle?
Thoughts? This is just one idea ... They can bury them exclusively ... Or only burn those of noble birth.

That would be so sneaky! But I think it's something they would only do for nobles, or people who the villagers are really keen on burying properly, since it might arouse suspicion. I guess it's a small and relatively new village, though, so maybe they haven't seen that much death, and they can actually pull it off? Would the Advocate ever allow a burning? Or would they have sought 'permission' from the pagan priest to bury people in the ground?
To start, the Advocate would never allow a corpse to be burned ... ever. You mentioned the whole body needing to be in place when Christ returns. Plus, part of the Teutonic Knight's cultural warfare on the converted pagans would be the (necessary) stamping out and prohibiting of any practice that reminds them of their Old Religion. Technically, the Villagers are not suppose to be speaking Prussian, but German ... I think the Advocate is an accommodating man, and sees the granting of little familiarities a necessary evil in attaining the greater good of retaining the pagan's souls to Christ and their hearts to Christendom. Let's go with nobles being burned and common folk being buried. One moment we can expect, then, could be when the Chieftain dies ... he would normally be burned by the pagan priest, but perhaps after the attack on their Village, Vyga gets her head screwed on straighter and (in a momentous change of precedent) buries her father to repudiate the Old Ways?

The opening scene you write could be the Pagan priest and Galindians taking the Grandmother's body from the winter? Just a thought.
I was hoping the grandma could die once the BOK are in the village and so Vyga could direct her anger at them? And then they could have gotten to know the granny as well and also possibly mourned her loss with the village. But now I'm not sure, since I like the other option: perhaps it be better for the BOK to arrive with Vyga (and some of the village I presume) already angry at them and what they stand for for the grandma's unnecessary death? What do you think?
In all honesty, I tried to work in the Grandmother dying while Waldemar and the BOK were in the Village. I genuinely feel that it would be better if her body is the one taken by the pagan priest and Galindians. There's the time-frame ... managing movement and patrols in cold weather would be tough, especially if there is snow. Granted, the Knights preferred winter for their periodic offensives, taking advantage of the rivers as highways and the defoliated forests. However, having the Grandma die last winter (so the story begins later winter/early spring) sets the tone, and gets Vyga in the worst possible mood when she has to deal with Waldemar and his BOK. I can just hear the seething, snarky vehemence in her voice now, fueled by her grief over the Grandmother's needless passing. Plus, the Grandmother can become an abstract symbol of virtue and dedication, trying to play by the rules, and spoken about in memory ... which can be more powerful than a real person sometimes. It would be an ironic reverse-sainthood for the Village; Catholic dogma elevates people to sainthood, and ascribes attributes to them (regardless of whether the actual person adhered to those attributes or not), so the Grandmother serves as a symbol in the story ... somehow creeping into the hearts of the BOK, even though they've never met her? In short, I think it best she be the one taken in your intro.

.......................................................................​

I will get you a sketch, get your comment revise/incorporate ... so excited!

And, yes ... I'd prefer to wait until the site update happens. BUT, that doesn't mean I can start writing my mammoth first post. It will take some time, so just as well. I'm not in a rush either. <3

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Astra
I come bearing gifts ...

Below are two sketches for the Village. The first (let's call Village A) is undefended with no water and the second (let's call Village B) is more fortified as we discussed. So, getting down to brass tacks ...

Härtzen-Land-crop.jpg

LEGEND
A Guard House Single person shack for standing point from Main Road
B Herd Complex Series of interconnected paddocks for herding animals, transferring
C Village Center Main open space where the action takes place
D Chieftain Compound Taking idea of Noblemen and Horses, generally more prestigious complex of structures
E Shaman's Quarters Apart and unique, like the man
F Outlying Farmhouses Random farmers
G Apiculture (Bee-Keeping Areas) Located near fields and orchards to pollinate, away from town
H Tilled Fields Crop source for town
I Orchards Apple or Cherry
Village A is how I initially imagined the Village ... more simple. I drew it just to get it out of my head, and scribe ideas for the second. The spatial organization follows a basic, irregular line (spur path) from the main road. It's like the "spine" of the Village, with an elliptical open space as the main, open space. The Chieftain's House would be off this main, open space. One aspect of pagan culture I wanted to incorporate in both options was the presence of horses near centers of power. So, then, the stables and fencing create a sort of sequestered "compound". I like the informalness ... it has a realism I appreciate, and I like the composition of the farms, fields, and hives. Some things I do not like about this design include the separation between herd enclosures and the fields/orchards ... those would have been closer in reality (since the herd animals would have wandered on the fields to fertilize and consume spent orchard fruit).

Now, onto Village B ... which I rather like.

Härtzen-Lagoon-crop.jpg

LEGEND
A Narrowing Entrance Bridge Narrowing bridge prevents large cavalcades of houses from attacking
B (Combined) Fort/Chieftain Complex ... consisting of:
B1 Stables To prevent horse theft, house guests, and pagan prestige of horses
B2 Main Residence Where Chieftain and Daughter would reside (?)
B3 Garrison Quarters The fort would need either a permanent or rotating post to operate doors, secure complex
B4 Drawbridge Simple design to separate the Village proper from the Fort, marshy fen under bridge
C Overlap Fence Break Open, overlapping woven, thatch fence ends
D Village (Public) Well Just that ... public well for the Village, near the Village Center
E Village Center Main theater where Village affairs are conducted, not sure what surrounding buildings are
F Herd Complex Pitch-stick fence to enclose grazing animals, includes rustic, thatched manger
G Advocate's Quarters Where Advocate lives when visiting, can house four (4)
H Guard House Single shack for securing rear entrance to Village ... usually empty
I Forester's Quarters Only house in woods
J Orchard Apple or Cherry trees
K Shaman's Quarters Circular hut, ringed by sole collection of bee hives
L Outlying Farms Houses farmers, tilled fields
Village B, I feel, captures much of what we had discussed. Rather than having the entire Village fortified, there is a distinct, fortified area. I assumed the Chieftain/Daughter would live here ... they don't need to, and the call would be yours. Plus, there would be a lagoon bordering the western-side, accessible by a narrowing bridge to prevent multiple horsemen from charging ... driving horses farther behind in the line to fall off the bridge and into the lagoon.The stippled areas (dots) would be marshy areas, hyper-saturated and full of aquatics ... these would be un-treadable by horses. There would be two towers: the Fort Entrance (towers over the bridge entry) and the South Tower (at the southeast corner ... see the rectangle?).

Here's an image I found to describe the Fort Entrance (shows the type and degree of construction).

Biskupin-Gate-crop.jpg

Likewise, there would be a wattle-woven perimeter fence that meanders organically around the edge of the Village proper. Where the fence and paths intersect have a detail where the ends of the fence mutually block the path, but allow one to navigate via an "S" movement. This feature is designed to halt incoming charging marauders, and force horses to jump ... hopefully breaking their momentum. I expect the fence be around four feet (4') tall? Here's an image that describes it pretty well.

Chestnut-wattle-fence.jpg

I like how the architecture of the Village layout spreads (radially) from the Village Center ... again, in a meandering format. The Mute Forester and Shaman both live outside the Village proper ... which, kind of makes sense to me.

What do you think?

Believe it or not, I'd be happy to change or improve on whatever you think might be best ... hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Hey there ...

So, I made a third scheme for our Village that is an "in-between" design of the full fortification and undefended options. Take a look.

Härtzen-Hybrid-crop.jpg

LEGEND
A Entrance Bridge Bridge leading from Main Road to Fortified Courtyard
B Gate House Short tower with defensible door
C Stable Stable for horses, designed for guests and Knights in Fortified Complex
D Fortified Courtyard Open space, designed to hold Village population
E Advocate's Residence Teutonic Knight structure, within Fortified Complex
F Tavern/Gasthaus Place where travelers could come, eat, sleep, spend money
G Fortified Shelter Fall back structure in case Fortified Complex is overrun, enclosed
H Fisherman Row/Piers Since Village is located along waterway, north extent supports fishery
I Village Center Main theater for Village affairs, bordered by Chieftain's Residence
J Chieftain's Residence Embedded as the central, defining icon of the Village, plinth-like platform facing open space
K Public Well Just that ... public well for the Village, near the Village Center
L Mortuary Above-ground structure where the dead are stored when people die during the winter
M Market Porous, open-program building, holds market for Village and surrounding community
N Herding Complex Common herding pen
O Chicken Coup Where chickens roost and nest, penned in space, chicken roam village
P Orchard Apple or Cherry trees
Q Farms Farmhouses and tilled fields
R Sentry Shelter Same overlapping fence design, with a shelter for a sentry, usually empty
S Shaman's Residence Circular hut, ringed by sole collection of bee hives
T Cemetery Upon the hillside, graves located on upper portion
U Forester's Residence Separate house and compound

In this Hybrid Village scheme, we essentially have a Fortified Complex anchoring the west side, and the east end of the Complex becomes the town. So, the Fort is less an object than a space, one which the Village bleeds into. So, the entire settlement is one expression, with a more defensible west side and less defensible east side. I imagine that there might be great doors that could swing shut between buildings to shut down the porous east connection at the Fortified Complex (meaning, the collective assemblage of buildings B-G). Personally, I like this design of having the boundary between fort and village blurred, like fingers interlacing. I also like how the Chieftain's Residence is the spatial and symbolic "heart" of the Village design.

The herding activities are near the agriculture, which makes sense ...

I also added the notion of a tavern or gasthaus. This would be a place where travelers could enter to eat a meal, stay for the night, or just grab a beer ... does this seem too cosmopolitan for this Village? Let me know, because I can certainly remove it.

Otherwise, what do you think?

• Love
AAAAHHH I'm here
So sorry, been super hectic lately!

So first and foremost, you've a really good hand? Like your lines when drawing are really strong and fine. Are you an architect by any chance? Since your descriptions really remind me of the way architects design their building designs :). Anyway!

Here are responses to the first big post, but honestly (as you'll see), I don't have much to say. I'm totally on board.

Vilkas: Perfect, makes complete sense and I'm wholly on board. Same for Velna.

Ansas: Haha thanks!!! I knew I had to pick that photo once I saw the chicken, it just really called to me. Regarding him and Konrad, let's see how it goes, I guess! I'm fine with whatever is best for the plot.

The Advocate and funerary customs: I like that a lot, and am also fully on board. Also regarding the Chieftain's funeral: OOOH! That'll be a good twist.

Grandma death timing: Yep. You're right. Fully agree. Yay!

Villages:

Now this got me really excited. I am a REALLY big fan of village B and C I really like all of it basically.But to be honest, I really like C too, since it feels 'realer'? And more complex. I was going to ask about, for example, fishing, when I looked at B, but you already covered that in C. Totally down for the doors idea, to 'cut off' parts of the village in case of an attack.

As for your tavern idea... perhaps it is a bit cosmopolitan, but I had been thinking that the village would have a sort of communal gathering space for the villagers anyway, and a tavern fits the bill. Like sure they could meet up in the main square or at someone's house, but a tavern would be more appealing, no? As a common, social meeting space, for travelers yes, but also for villagers. I think it's a building and a cultural mindset the Chieftain would have encouraged. I think we should keep it.

I also really like how the Shaman keeps bees :) nice touch. As is the mortuary !!!

Would the Teutonic keep be towards the west of the village?

And the BOK would initially stay at the Advocate's house, right? And once Vilkas is ill enough he moves into the Chieftain's compound?

The market would be weekly or bi-weekly? Or are you thinking daily?

I'll add more qs if I think of any. Thank you again so much for putting this all together!

• Love
Hey there!

So great to hear from you. I've been keeping tabs on your status, and it sounds like you've been quite busy. Which is all fine, by the way. I hope your time away was enjoyable.

Yup, I've been busy trying to hammer out these last details and Village schemes. I tried beginning to write the first post, but real life has been interfering. I'll resume this weekend, since my deadlines are mostly behind me. The reversion of the Iwaku site is also behind us, and there's only one location for our RP (Ha!). The only question is whether our story is in the Libertine section or not. I don't know ... what do you think? Even though Libertine is supposedly only for sexual material, I always feel ... more free? ... writing in Libertine. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Maybe we just add the appropriate tags onto the story and keep it clean. Thoughts?

Yes, architecture is precisely what I do. (impressive guess) Landscape Architect, actually ... but, one who usually tells architects how to make their buildings better. I have reams of sketchbooks filled with site layouts, site plans, all showing the organization of community spaces. So, I do this sort of thing in my past time. The fort's stable design comes across as a little post-structuralist (crazy angles) for a medieval village, but it's passable ... aesthetic habits die hard. I really glad you're pleased with the direction. I prefer C the more I think about it, as well. The symbolism of the semi-fortified reads into the story with a certain irony; the exposed, vulnerable east side of the fort is a reminder that the Village (in Vyga & the Chieftain's minds) is vulnerable to the incoming pagan army.

Anyway, I ramble! Plan C it shall be.

The Tavern
To be honest, I'm genuinely torn about the Tavern. There's a part of me that worries, since tavern-going is a European phenomena. Prussians would not have had a communal structure designed strictly for visitors. However, given my thoughts below (in BOK Quarters) and a Chieftain mentality of making a place to ensure privacy (if guests are in the tavern, they won't be in the village?), I can see it working. The dynamic is delicate to retain an air of authenticity, I feel. As for Prussians hanging out there ... you're right that it would be more appealing. The thought of having villagers hang out in the Chieftain's personal courtyard seemed appropriate, but a tavern provides a drinking space protected from the elements. I wonder if the tavern keeper would be a new character? Who would run it, clean it, maintain provisions? Perhaps a Teutonic custodian of the fort?

Apiculture
The keeping of bees was a vital aspect of Prussian life. Bees make honey, honey makes mead.

The Mortuary
Serves the practical purpose of housing the dead until the ground thaws. Also allows pagans to continue practice of visiting dead for periods of time prior to burning or burial. Notice how the Mortuary can always be seen from the Village Center ... so the dead can be part of life (in the Village Center).

BOK Quarters
So, I was thinking about this. Even though we had suggested that the Village was by the Chieftain's design, perhaps the Advocate had a hand in both the design and construction of the Village's semi-fortified, defensive space. Brother von Eichen, in an effort to shepherd his flock and gain their trust, assisted with the fortified sections. Not only would such an area protect the villagers, but having an autonomous space would benefit the Teutonic Knights as well. The large courtyard could be a point of assembly or retreat during offensive or defensive operations, and the tavern could house a small company of Knights on patrol or on their way to Poland. (Diplomatic missions and messengers were common.) Thus, it makes sense why the Advocate's Quarters are located within the confines of the fort. But, this begs the question of whether the fort has a permanent attendant. Is he aligned with the Teutonic Order or the Village? Maybe a permanent attendant is unnecessary, but the tavern would need to be up kept. A brewer, perhaps? Thoughts?

Market
Was thinking weekly? Could be a way for Village to get info from outlying farms and settlements. For our story, it could be a place some of our character's interact or just buzz in the background.

Right now, I'm working on my mammoth first post and will let you know when it goes up.

• Love
<3

I agree about Libertine, best to have full freedom, just in case.

Hehe :) it's pretty obvious though, in a good way! That's wonderful. And I totally noticed that in C, and I liked it a lot (re. the complete lack of fortifications to the eastern side). I guess the pagan attack will be devastating on multiple levels.

Tavern: Hmm, good to know. But yes, I think your idea is a good way of making it feasible. I agree that a tavern keeper would be a good character. If he's a part of the Teutonic order, then perhaps he could act as another 'bridge' between the Knights and the village, like the advocate? I'm open for anything. I had originally pictured the tavern keeper as just a village dude but I'm open for anything. I actually like your idea of a brewer. Perhaps he could be affiliated with the Shaman, as the latter has all the bees? So maybe a villager, that keeps in touch with the Teutonic order in some way? Maybe a villager that is 'hired' by the order?

• Love
Libertine it will be.

About the Tavern. Let's keep the Tavern as a locale, and have it run by a new character (The Brewer) who maintains the Tavern's rooms. He'll also attend to the Advocate's Residence, keeping it clean and serving food when the Advocate's in town.

I like the "bridge" concept a lot ... in fact, I'd like to expand it. (I may need your help sifting through my ramblings.) For the purposes of the story, he can be a "cultural bridge" and provide insight to the villagers about German culture. In this regard, he and the shaman may be two village characters that I primarily run? Perhaps, he's a Prussian who was taken from Prussia as a youth and trained in Germany. So, he's literate, educated, semi-worldly ... a perfect personality for an innkeeper who needs to deal with visitors from all over and of differing social classes. He would also be a resource for Jadvyga when she wishes to learn more about what's happening? Who's come through the Tavern and what business was being conducted by the Advocate when he delivered food? Who are these scouts and this Waldemar fellow? Why do Germans eat cabbage all the time?

YES to the Brewer having a relationship to the Shaman. To start, there are four types of alcoholic drink he's able to brew: beer, mead, wine, kumiss. He learned the art of brewing beer while in Germany, and beer is the preferred drink of the Advocate and other Knights who happen to pass through. Mead, made from fermented honey, is a drink enjoyed primarily by the Villagers; the Shaman provides the Brewer with the honey for a cut of the product. Perhaps while in Germany, he traveled to France with a monk and observed the basics of viticulture and wine-making. Lastly, kumiss is illegal (Teutonic edict), but he brews it in secret for private celebrations.

Finally, I can see the Brewer and Shaman epitomizing opposing or contrasting ideals? Something that pops into my mind is the have the Brewer and Shaman be friends. The Brewer represents Ethics (rules governing a group, determined by that group) and the Shaman represents Morality (convictions of right vs. wrong, individual sense of propriety). So, they create a dichotomy between them, expressed in their actions and dialogues.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Ooh! I like the idea of him being semi-worldy and having some travel history. That's a good 'bridge,' indeed. I'm already really intrigued by this dude and want to see him in action. Would he be in on the pagan stuff in the village, though? Aware but uncaring, perhaps? Just from what you've described (specifically of having him "represent" ethics), I get the feeling he's a pragmatist/realist, so perhaps he'd be fine with it because it works?

I also like the idea that he and Jadwyga would be buddies, or at least gossip friends. How would he have come to the village, if he traveled so much? Perhaps he and the Chieftain are friends, too? Or did the Brewer just wander into Härtzen one day and decide to stay?

WHY did the Teutonic knights ban kumiss? Was it one of those things of trying to shift the popular culture to be something more aligned with their ideals? It seems super random to me to ban one random product. Or were they just grossed out by it and banned it as a result lol (because I've had comparable fermented milk products and like... glech)

I'm interested in the idea that the Brewer and the Shaman would be opposites. Definitely for it. Would be an interesting dynamic and I think it would really contribute to the depth of the plot. Also totally down for you controlling both!

Hey you!

I'm writing away on my post ... 2,138 words in so far, and I'd say 1/5 the way done? (work had been demanding ... btw, how is your work situation?) I think you'll like the way it's coming together. I'm having the scouts find a village that was used as the staging point for the ambush on Brother von Eichen's column. That's where they find Velna, and in the ensuing battle, that's where Vilkas gets wounded.

Yeah, the Brewer character will be interesting. I imagine (since he's pagan by birth and epitomizes Ethics) he would just accept the Village practicing their pagan ways. No one get's hurt (at least, at first) and he gets to maintain his lucrative operation. I was thinking that he came to the Village via relocation. The Germans regularly educated (brainwashed) young, able-minded nobles with the hope that they would return to their native lands and be effective agents for the Teutonic cause. Perhaps, our Brewer friend opted out of service or escaped ... perhaps, von Eichen took pity on him? Since he's been exposed to German culture, maybe von Eichen set him up as a quasi-Teutonic presence in the Village to run the Tavern and tend to his (the Advocate's) Residence.

The Brewer, however, has different ideas. I considered (since this aspect was dropped) having the Brewer be the Villager who snaps and murders a BOK. Perhaps, while discussing Morals (the Shaman represents as the iconoclast ... the semi-heathen who knows the Bible and it's meanings better than monks) with Vadimus, the Brewer just snaps ... maybe they discuss the tenets of personal responsibility and an encounter sets him off, or or preps him for murder before he intends to escape back to Prussia?

Here's an image I'm considering?

image.jpg

Heya! Excited to read it. It's ok! Just a lot to coordinate, but I think it'll be really good once I'm settled. Will be traveling for the first few weeks of April as well, but I doubt that will seriously affect my online availability. Thank you for asking C:

As far as the Brewer, that's kind of what I figured regarding his motivations. I'm intrigued about having the Brewer know van Eichen. I think that's an interesting connection, and makes it all the more interesting if Brewer is the one that snaps and attacks one of the BOK. That, I think, would also definitely be a reason for V.E. to come in and investigate in person, before the siege (I forget when we decided this would happen but could this be when he comes over and orders Waldemar to be captured)? I'm down for your reasons for why the brewer snaps, but perhaps it could also be something more personal? Perhaps he and the BOK who's attacked just really don't get along, etc..? Or are you saying that the discussion with the Shaman would convince the Brewer that murder is "the right thing to do"?

As for your image, lol, because he definitely looks like a character who would snap and kill someone (idk I just get that vibe from the photo hahah)

Oh! Also, who am I controlling mainly? Vyga, Midwife, Ansas, and the Chieftain? Or is the latter yours? Or are we sharing some?

Hey there!

I'll have you know that I'm about halfway done (probably more than halfway) and the word count is creeping toward 8,500 words so far. I focused today and tried to nail some major scenes down. I'd like to be done before I leave for Easter (gone Friday until next Wednesday?) but we'll see.

As far as the Brewer, it sounds like we are on the same page. It's interesting ... I was just thinking about a personal dislike between the Brewer and one of the BOK when you mentioned it above. Great minds think alike! So, to answer your question, there can be philosophical underpinnings to the Brewer's disgruntled attitude, but a personal dislike should tip the balance on his self-control. That would make the murder (or the motivation) more visceral and real. We can develop the nuances between the Moral v. Ethics dichotomy later, but how the Brewer fits into everything makes sense.

Now, onto your question re: character control. Personally, I'm of the opinion that we "own" certain characters and then we "share" others. Does that makes sense? Let me itemize them out below for clarification ...

Main Characters
Waldemar - Sterling
Jadvyga - Astra

BOK Characters
Stovamel - Sterling
Vilkas - Sterling
Heß -????
Brom - ????

Village Characters
Wârgon - Astra
Lelija - Astra
Ursap - Astra
Vadimus - Astra
Brewer - ????
Velna - Sterling
Ansas - Astra

Teutonic Order Characters
Brother Heinrich von Eichen - Sterling
Sergeant Matzen - Sterling
Konrad - Sterling

Villain Characters
Brother von Rötzheim - Sterling
Brother Kreger - Sterling
Cernak - ???? (I've written him in my intro, but could easily cease.)
Kracco - ???? (I've written him in my intro, but could easily cease.)

What do you think?

Heya! hope you had a nice weekend and are having a nice trip!
Very excited to read your post C:

Glad that we're on the same page C: C:

I think what you're saying makes sense -- in other RPs, we've classified the "sharing" characters as 'NPCs' haha. Then sometimes there's NPCs where, for example, you would mainly control one dude, but then if I ever need them for a brief thing I could write a line or two for them without having to wait for your reply. Usually, the ones we 'share' are less important to the plot. I generally agree with your categories --but who would we share and who would we 'own'?

And while I'm normally rather old-fashioned regarding like text colors and such, given that we have such a big cast... do you want to color code them? Or nah?

Hi there!

Things are well. I'm headed back today (Tuesday).

I sent you an updated draft of my post to date via PM. Did you see it? I almost broke Iwaku trying to upload it.

The character assignment exercise can seem unwieldy. I believe we started with you controlling the village and me controlling the Knights. NPC's are a given concept, but I think the idea of a primary author makes sense ... along with the other author roping characters into the narrative as needed. Frankly, let me suggest a straight-forward way to assign characters.
  1. Main Characters ... Waldemar, by Sterling and Jadvyga, by Astra.
  2. Every other character is a secondary character. Secondary characters will have a primary author, but the other author can use them freely to move plot and miscellaneous dialogue.
  3. You simply choose which secondary characters you wish to primarily write for ... and, I will pick up the rest. I'm used to having tons of NPCs, so go ahead and let me know who you wish to primarily write for. If our collaboration during the story is anything like our magnificent planning, there should not be any characters headed in the wrong direction.
  4. As a note, Heß will be the only BOK to make it to the Village (other than Stovamel).
Thoughts?

As for color, I tend to break out all dialogue and note who's speaking. I'd rather avoid color coding individual characters ... Our posts will look like rainbows. Plus, I'm a man of few words when it comes to dialogue. So, my inclination is no color ... but, I can be persuaded if you really want to organize for legibility.

Last edited:
  • Love
I just finished reading it! Your writing style is so fantastic and detailed. I feel really inspired to write my own reply ;). Ffs, I'm already sad about the old lady biting the dust and she hasn't even been featured in any posts or anything.

What you've listed makes sense to me, and yes, I will initially start with controlling the villagers. The villagers that I think it makes the most sense for you to control on a semi-exclusive are the Brewer, the Shaman, the also the Chieftain, due to their ties with the history and the fact that you know about all that waaaaaay more than I do. I think I can handle the rest :).

Regarding point 4: gotcha! So, Konrad isn't considered a BOK, right?

Nope, I'm good with no color, just wanted to check since I've seen a lot of different preferences on here.

Excited!!!

• Love
My scenes keep blooming into more scenes. But, the narrative is coming together really well. I should be done soon, hopefully in the next few days. In the meantime ... take a look at this.

Main Characters
Waldemar - Sterling (exclusive)
Jadvyga - Astra (exclusive)

BOK Characters
Stovamel - Sterling (semi-exclusive)
Vilkas - Sterling (semi-exclusive)
Heß - Sterling (semi-exclusive)
Brom - Dead, will never make it to Härtzen

Village Characters
Wârgon - Sterling (semi-exclusive)
Lelija - Astra (semi-exclusive)
Ursap - Astra (semi-exclusive)
Vadimus - Sterling (semi-exclusive)
Brewer - Sterling (semi-exclusive)
Velna - Astra (semi-exclusive)
Ansas - Astra (semi-exclusive)

Teutonic Order Characters
Brother Heinrich von Eichen - Sterling (semi-exclusive)
Sergeant Matzen - Sterling (semi-exclusive)
Konrad - Sterling (semi-exclusive)

Villain Characters
Brother von Rötzheim - Sterling (semi-exclusive)
Brother Kreger - Sterling (semi-exclusive)
Cernak - Sterling (semi-exclusive)
Kracco - Sterling (semi-exclusive)

Is this the arrangement you had in mind? I didn't know to whom we should assign Velna, so I just placed her in the village group. I can write for her, if you wish.

You are correct, Konrad is not a BOK. But, he is considered pat of that group of four heroes. (Waldemar, Stovamel, Konrad, a Brother von Eichen/Vadimus). As far as Heß, he will arrive in Härtzen about mid story. He and Brom will deliver the reinforcement train to Königsburg, but during the battle to protect the last wagons, making certain they entered the city, Brom fell. Heß will have traveled from Königsburg, to Marienburg, to Härtzen. Grief over losing his friend will turn his disposition sour ... especially against pagans. Heß and the Brewer will not get along at all ...

I'm glad you're excited. Our world is slowly coming to life!

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.