The War of Zethrex - Chapter 2

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!

It was more than a little awkward to be addressed directly by Taiberius, someone that controlled the fate of her home and much more and whom Nysa had only heard about it tales and discussions of world politics. Though she had been steeling herself to be prepared for something like this, Nysa still felt deeply unprepared and it was all she could do not to flush brilliantly red and freeze in her seat. With a slightly trembling hand, she pushed herself up from her chair and took a deep breath. She tilted her chin upward a little, holding herself firm and upright, and forced a small smile to her features. All of this took a matter of seconds but it made her feel much stronger, which was important to her composure.

"It is an honor to be here, Archmage Taiberius of Quortic. I am glad that I have arrived in time myself. I am Nysa Taenarum of Circa, daughter of Hawthorne. " Her smile did not falter, but her stomach gave a small lurch. She hoped that she had done everything correctly in greeting the Archmage, could not think of anything that she had done wrong, but she was terribly nervous. It was her goal, however, to never show just how nervous she was. The room was sparsely full still, with magi bustling about, thrilled with the acquisition of their crystals, and Nysa really hoped that there would be a crystal for her, too. She would not, however, ask about it.

Nysa had approached the Archmage before speaking and was now curtseying low before him, her eyes on the ground and her breath caught in her throat. Please, she thought, let him be pleased with how I have greeted him and let him acknowledge quietly how I comport myself... she was so tense, she thought that she might fall over like a dead log. She was hoping for this reason that he asked her to make herself at ease. At least then she could balance herself better than in the curtsey.

Taiberius made himself comfortable on his throne as he observed Nysa. He couldn't help but appreciate her attitude, how she showed him proper respect. He liked that with his subordinates. It showed that they understood exactly who was in charge.

"Your father spoke very highly of you my dear. I see that he may not have been embellishing much afterall. But there is little need nor time for such formalities at this moment. So lets just get right down to it then. I understand that you have been sent here to show how capable you are. To show that you are a proper successor to your father, correct?"

He waited patiently for a reply. His face was hidden behind his helmet as always, which he used to his advantage by keeping his expressions hidden. The more difficult it was to read him, the more leverage it gave him in all sorts of situations, such as gaining the loyalty of pretty young woman in order to use her as a warrior.

Borosi stood up and threw his pack over his shoulder. He hadn't expected to ship out so early. Might as well use this as a test of his abilities.He wasn't really scared about the coming battle. He was actually excited, he would get to test himself against a real enemy. And he would have to try out those anit magic weapons before he was shipped out. Even now he was contemplating how many he could fit inside of his backpack. He would most likely have to hang some off his armor. So he set out to gather his equipment.

Though Nysa was tempted to breathe a sigh of relief when the Archmage told her that she could be less formal. It was all the permission that she needed to straight from her curtsey and look at him, though not directly in the face. Instead, her eyes were focused on his attire, which was opulent but practical. It was strategic, if annoying, that she couldn't see his expression and he could see hers. She was up in audition, working to impress the man before her, so every move have to be perfectly executed.

"Yes, my father sends me to aid you in your efforts in hopes that you will grant me your blessing in succession and deem me a worthy warrior. Consider me a tool to be aimed by your hand in the direction that you choose, a weapon to be wielded in your service." Her eyelids were purposely lowered to veil her eyes, for the most part, and she had yet to break her noble posture, acting every inch the well-bred daughter of a high family. If only her family weren't traitors... but she pushed that thought from her mind. She was willing to curry the favor of the Archmage for her own well-being, as well as that of her home.

Her eyes, mostly hidden beneath lowered lashes, flicked more carefully over his person. There was something inarguably magnetic about someone who wielded such great power. It was intimidating and electrifying all in the same and she felt energized standing so near him.

"What would you have me do, my liege? "

This was getting serious...

The woman realized this as Pheonix spoke of the Scorched Earth Policy. She had heard of it before, the last command given if the Magi were to take over a certain area. It was a way of protection for their land but never before was it announced to be used in any sort of battle. Well now it was happening.

She saluted him, eyes hard. His words about failing would have scared any others but right now all it did was instill an urge to fight within Frostbite. She would use the mechs to their advantage and to save her people. Exhaling, she jogged to Warehouse 2. She wondered what sort of mech she would be given in this fight and would sort of weapons the leg would house for her when the time came for her to step out and fight on foot.

The Archmage smiled from behind his helmet. Her response couldn't have pleased him more, even if he had written it into a script for her. She seemed already perfectly obedient and eager, exactly the way he wanted. Perhaps he wouldn't have to do much convincing after all.

"Your father has told me everything he could about your skills with magic. He told me that you favor the element of water, correct? And with a bit of wind magic as well. An interesting choice. Most tend to lean more towards Fire, Dark, or the Arcane arts. Those tend to be the most common as they are typically viewed as being the most destructive, and thus the best choice for a battle. But, as i'm sure you're aware, Wind and Water can be just as deadly, when used by the right Mage. And lucky for you, the next battle will be taking place right next to the ocean."

He paused as he reached into his robe and pulled out a white Power Crystal. He presented it to her, and it began to float across the room towards her.

"I don't sense the presence of a crystal on you. So take this one. It is ready to be charged with the magic of your choosing."

The tone of his voice started to sound more grim and sinister as he spoke.

"Take it, and make your way to the docks with the rest of the Magi. Board a ship and join the fight at Niros. Your job is to push the Alliance back, and take control of the city of Kalin. Show no mercy to any of your enemies. Take no prisoners... Make sure that those who escape your wrath will remember the terror of facing a Mage, so much that they go mad with nightmares... Succeed, and you will be properly rewarded."

The last of the Magi forces had made their way onto the various seafaring warships docked at the shores of Qortic. The time had come, and one after another, the ships set sail for Niros, taking formation. It was a large fleet of ships. Twenty battlesips, 30 personnel carriers, and various frigate class ships. It would not be long now before they reached their destination and the fighting would begin. Meanwhile, Taiberius had his own personal surprise set aside for this day... One that he believed would ensure victory for the Magi.

The base was chaotic busy with preparations. The Skyfleet was preparing to launch and take up defensive positions all around the city. Mechs were emerging from the warehouses with new volunteer pilots. Order were being shouted all over the place, and stategic positons were being taken. A long line of Mechs was being formed along the coast line, fitted with artillery weapons to help defend against Magi warships once the time came. Soon, this place would become ground zero for the biggest battle in the war to date. Every soldier was determined not to let the Magi make a foothold on the mainland. Only time would tell if they would succeed.

The new and improved airships of the Purgers had finished being loaded. All soldiers and supplies were on board. Unlike the Alliance airships, these new Purgers models do not have a "top deck" which personnel can walk around on. Instead, the ships are completely encased in armor, using doors on the bottom of the ships to drop troops and supplies to the battlefield. The new ships have a few other surprises in store as well though. Minutes after the last of the troops were on board the ships, the giant steel doors on the ceiling pushed upwards, and parted open, revealing the morning sky above. Then, all at once, the Purger ships rose upwards into the sky to begin the trek towards Niros. Time to show the Magi and Alliance who's boss.