The Tales of Agganoth

zTHyLJh.png
They moved from the caves with a vague sense of urgency, though what drove them remained a mystery. Their journey was swift, nevertheless, and their conversations brief, catering more to silence than anything. Catriona's mood had shifted as they neared Westhollow again, the anxiety she'd felt upon leaving creeping in again. In seemed funny somehow to think that only a few hours ago, she had nearly died in that same city. She could feel it, the knife burrowing into her shoulder. The fear and uncertainty. The pain.

If there was any possibility that Wymond and Ardryan had found themselves in trouble, it felt wrong not to return to lend them aid. They were there because of her… because they had come to Westhollow with her. And even if the decision had been their own to make, she knew she would carry the weight of guilt if anything happened to them and she hadn't at least tried to help. And while they were capable men, the task they had to carry out was dangerous, even for seasoned warriors and soldiers.

It became glaringly obvious as they came closer to the city that her worries had not been untoward. The smell hit first… familiar to Catriona in a way she had hoped to never be reminded of and as they breached the hill that would lead them down towards the city, she froze, gripped by a sudden sense of panic.

She hadn't wanted to acknowledge it when the smell first hit her near her family's home, but there was little sense denying it, now. It was burning… people burning, "Oh God… Darin. The city…"

The cave would forever be a moment etched in his mind. The time he had spent with Catriona was time he would not have traded for anything. This scene was different. Smoke filled the night sky blotting out stars as a faint glow of fire filled the city. Outside, three fires, much smaller than the fourth, dotted the fields, but that was not what gripped his attention the most. He had smelled it only once before, in Norcrest as he stood in the town square after Sarah….and he smelled it both nights after that in his nightmares: burnt flesh. Catriona seemed to notice as well.

"I see it," he responded as he shifted the bow behind him, "Come on, we have to see if we can help."

She heard him. She heard him and she willing herself to move, but her feet remained locked in place and her chest tightened as she stared into the smoke rising high against the night. It was a distant terror in her eyes… A memory, too fresh, too new, and it was dragging her back there, back to the Vineyard.

Darin was two steps closer to the city before he realized she wasn't following him. Turning half way, he spoke again, "Catriona," but she was somewhere else, he could see it in her eyes. Concern for her all but replaced the concern he had for the people of Westhollow as he turned the rest of the way and closed the distance, "Hey," he placed his hands on her upper arms and gave her a light squeeze, "You alright?"

Her eyes snapped to his as his hand brushed her arm, widening for a moment, before she forced herself to nod, swallowing down nerves that crept along her spine, racing heart pounding painfully as she took an uncertain step forward, "I'm fine…" She lied, because the truth was no good for Westhollow, "Come on… they might still be in there."

His gaze lingered on her a moment. A desire to press her, to make sure she was alright was suppressed. She was right. Whatever had just happened could wait until after they made sure that Ardryan and Wymond were safe, "Alright," he responded as he pulled one hand from her shoulder and slid the second down to her hand, "Then we'd better get going," he squeezed it gently and turned back to Westhollow.

As they started towards the city, it was his hand grasping her own that grounded her, but even with that reassurance, the closer they came, the harder it became to contain the fear welling inside of her. Their lives had become fire and fear and death, and instead of fleeing from it they were racing towards it… and she could not escape the horrible feeling that they were doomed to it. To the chaos and burning.

They could have run. They could have turned the other way and left it all behind… And a part of her wanted to, still. But she was not raised to neglect the needs of others above her own and while her family was gone, she would still honor their memories.

But the fear was crippling and rose in her life a wave of heat all its own, "There's two sources!" She murmured, pausing again to take in the sight of the burning city, "Where do we go?"

Surveying the situation, Darin took note of the fires outside and the one inside, "Westhollow has to be working hard at the fire inside, so let's help with the fire outside. Besides, we're closer to it and can be of more help there. Come on!"

As they drew closer, the scene became clearer. Darin recalled, when they had entered Westhollow earlier that day, the men carrying the wood out of the city and stacking them on the piles. Then he did not know why but now, a gasp escaped his lips. They were building pyres to burn the three people earlier. Two had already succumbed to their gruesome injuries, but the third clinged to the pole trying desperately to avoid the flames a young boy and woman were working hard to extinguish, "We've got to help them," he told Catriona.

At the sight of the woman and child, aiding the poor creature on the post, fear for herself evaporated and Catriona felt a surge of fury… The people of Westhollow had done this. She recalled the word of the guard… These were the condemned. The man that Ardryan and Wymond had gone to help and the two others. Only one remained, and Rion wasn't going to fail her.

Releasing Darin's hand in favor of haste, she sprinted down the hill towards the scene, but as they neared, another figure appeared and Rion skidded to a halt. Her eyes widened as she watched the scene unfold… the man walking into the fire… the black sheen spreading… The girl was freed, but Catriona could scarcely believe what she had seen. Shock was momentary, however, truncated by concern as the man collapsed, and swiftly, she turned to Darin, "He's hurt!"

"I'll see if I can help," he replied, before sprinting to the small group. He had to cover his nose and mouth with his hand as he approached, the smell of burning flesh rushing into his nostrils. Swallowing back a gag, he looked at the two fighting the fires, and then to the two on the ground. Shaking his head, he called out, "They're gone! These two aren't. Forget about them."

Rion followed, fighting the quiver in her legs as her mind warred against the idea of racing towards the fire. Darin needed her, and she would not abandon him to fear. As he neared those who were injured, she slowed as well and dropped beside the woman, grimacing at the state of her. The fire had done its damage, and that was only what she could see on the outside… no doubt the smoke had taken its toll as well, "Does anyone know--"

The sound was distant, but distinct and Rion trailed off as her eyes moved to find the source. There, near the gates, she could see the woman, collapsed in on herself, but she was distinctly familiar. Heart giving a painful throb, she turned, "Darin! It's her… the woman Ardryan and Wymond were helping!"

His eyes followed hers, but there was no sign of Ardryan or Wymond, "Go, Catriona. I'll be fine here."

Nodding, Catriona rose to her feet and crossing the small gap between the pyres and the gate, she came to a halt near the woman, crouching down with the barest hint of apprehension, "...M...miss?"

Lucia rocked back and forth, her sobs tearing uncontrollably from her chest, her reddened eyes reflecting the hungry flames that had devoured her brother. Since being abandoned by the two men who had failed her...failed her brother...Lucia had crumbled into a mourning shell of a woman oblivious to anything else around her.

Reaching out, Catriona hesitated, before laying a hand on the woman's arm, "...Hey… Come on. You shouldn't be seeing this. We need to get you--" Looking past the woman, her eyes fell on another sight of familiarity and straightening, she sucked in a sharp breath, "Oh, thank the Gods… Don't move, Miss. We'll get you help."

Rising, she moved past the gates just a little, until she could see them fully, heading off in the opposite direction, "Wymond! Ardryan!"

TAGS || @...everyone? @Jays, @Ultra Paradox | Collab with @DarinValore

Last edited:
"Ardryan, wait!" He grasped his friend amongst the shoulder and looked back over the ridge where his 'missing' comrade stood. A smile, full of relief, spread across his lips and he let out a sigh. The weight upon his shoulders seemed to vanish and everything was okay. He was okay. He turned and began walking towards the hill, ignoring all the strangers except for Darin who he kindly acknowledged with a nod. It seemed like whoever they saved from the fire would make it, despite the wounds to her body, so there was no sense in helping.

In fact he had no urge to help. He needed to make sure Catriona was alright, unharmed. Afterall they were here for her, and if their endeavours were nearly as dangerous as his own than he could only hope she was okay. He reached the top of the hill, and offered a great big beam, "Catriona," He looked her up and down, no sign of injury, "I'm glad you're okay."

He turned to look down at Lucia, who was still going through a pitiful mourning process. His smile seemed to fade and he got down on one knee, laying his hand against her shoulder. "We did all we could."

She wouldn't budge any reaction, other than the sound of muffled sobbing from behind the palm of her hands.

"I suggest you leave town. They'll think you're the cause of the fire." He stood up and looked down at those that were by the pyres.

"Catriona, it is no longer safe here. Ardryan and I set fire to the town, but it won't be long till the townsfolk return. Lucia will certainly be deemed a witch, and so will the girl they attempted to burn. This world has gone mad, and there's a gang on our tails-" He paused, "Wait, are they still on our tails or did you get your revenge?" His eyebrow cocked up and he looked at her curiously.

He scoffed his own curiosity away and shook his head, "Nevermind that for now, what I'm saying is we have to get out of here, and soon." Still looking at down at the group below he continued to say, "And away from them...who knows what they're up to."

'They could be behind all of this.' He thought to himself.

oGmJwdq.png

E7ewXdM.png
There was a strange comfort to be had in the capital. The aftermath of destruction put a somber twist on affairs. The people often shirked away from each other's gaze and often passed in silence. Yet all around, the the people seemed to be returning to their daily lives.

Isha'a was no more clairvoyant than any other she knew in her life. Though, she felt almost as if—something—was trying to reach her from some place she couldn't perceive. Or maybe, she thought, it was just the apprehension that had taken hold of her mind. Be it by feat of bravery or desperation, Isha'a made her away from the little group she had found herself following.

Slipping away from the group was an easy enough task she found. And they couldn't be blamed for their diligence either. Even someone like her could understand how important returning the princess to the kingdom was. Either way, the guard and other staff seemed to pay her no mind as she left outside of a few aides mistaking her for another servant.

She couldn't quite remember the name of the inn, but Isha'a was thankful for taking the time to familiarize herself with the city just the day before. Coincidence made it so that her responsibilities did not include finding a place to stay or managing the itinerary. No, instead Isha'a found herself holding something more of a maid-servant role as she always had. So from the castle and into the streets, each step was carefully measured steps between the gaps in the cobblestone until she retraced her path through the city.

The inn was packed with new patrons. All fresh and tending to the ills of a day gone by. Weaving her way through the crowds, she made her way up the halls and past reception. The inn seemed just as busy as she remembered. Much like the days leading up to the festival, visitors moved in and out of rooms seemingly unaware of every other patron. Like them, Isha'a had places to be. People who were waiting on her-'knock knock knock—'

"Yes? Come in-"

E7ewXdM.png
The scenery was a blur. Isha'a didn't pay it any mind. Where she had been carefully measuring her steps just minutes before, Isha'a flew through the streets. From corner to corner along every street she searched for a familiar face among the crowds.

"I'm sorry, miss, you just missed them. They checked out the day before. Right after all the commotion too, you see. Can't blame them for—hey! Just wait a minute!- Where are you going!-"
They couldn't have left so early. Sure—the festival had taken an unexpected turn, but her masters had not come for just the festivities alone- And what of the unfinished negotiations; what would become off all the work and preparation for their stay?

Stumbling, Isha'a found herself trying to stop the world from shifting uneasily under her feet. Nearly collapsing on the ground, she propped herself up within a secluded alley. She tried rubbing her eyes to alleviate her cloudy vision, but nothing she did seemed to be the fix-

"It was just over there, men!- Make haste, they couldn't have gotten far!

The sounds of heavy footfalls and clattering armor knocked Isha'a out of her stupor for a moment. Carefully peaking around the corner, she muted a small gasp as most of the street's stalls and bystanders lay in messy, scattered heaps seemingly pushed aside—knocked over and off their feet or blown away. Isha'a tensed herself as she stuck close to the relative safety of the shadows around her.

Someway—somehow, she found herself right before the castle grounds. The crowns-guard was evidence enough. She could swear that the inn was farther away from this part of the city. Her errands took her all around the city, but she knew that her own memory could have failed her. Had she, possibly, misjudged the distance? -...No, of course not. She snapped herself out of this—melancholic trance—and pulled herself away from the vivid sensory detail. Isha'a picked herself up from the ground. She found herself so close to the castle either way. Hopefully her sudden absence from the others caused any worry.

E7ewXdM.png
"They need help!-"
Huh...?-

"We gotta stop the fire!-
What..?-

"We'll get you down!—Rayela!—Stop, it's okay now!"
When did we get...-here?

TAGS: AT EVERYONE, I GUESS. sooorry. Doesn't explain much, but at least Isha'a has an excuse for not talking the whole time! -...i think. QQ

Sweet Reminiscence
Feel the feels thanks to @DarinValore and @Kat

Tears fell freely down Henry's cheeks as he fell limp on the horse and against the woman who had torn him from his task. He had fought hard to resist her, but he had already expended too much energy in fighting the crowd and trying to extinguish the flames. Fighting this woman became too much. Instead, he leaned against her, allowing the fear, the pain, and the memory of the event that had just unraveled before him. He could still hear the screams of the dead.

"Oh, please be okay," he sobbed against the woman, "Please, oh, please, oh please."

"Shhh," Rayela murmured, holding the boy close and running her hand through his hair as a means of comfort. She pulled back on the reins a little and the horse came to a stop. They were at the top of a hill, aways from where the fire burned bright and the burning bodies could not be seen from a far distance. Rayela cautiously stepped down from Amal and reached up to take Henry down from the horse as well. "Come here."

Rayela laid down in the smooth blades of grass and tried to coax the little boy over.

"What's your name?"

After sliding off the horse, his eyes bounced between the woman that had taken him away and the faint glow that still surrounded Westhollow, "Henry," he finally said, wiping his nose with the sleeve of his shirt, "Will Cassie be okay?"

Rayela did not want to give the boy false hope, but after Sindri had somehow managed to save Cassie, she prayed that the woman would be mostly okay, if not completely, with the right treatments. She had awful burns and scorches all over her body; something Rayela was not sure she wanted to divulge to Henry, at least not yet.

"My friend Sindri saved her from the fire," she murmured. "He's a brave man, that one. We can only pray that Cassie will recover. I'm Rayela. Can you tell me about Cassie? You love her very much, don't you? She means the whole world to you."

"Ray...Rayela," he repeated as his eyes still bounced between the two, "She...She's my best friend," a tear fell again and he quickly wiped it away, "She always gives me pastries from her father's bakery. And...And she always asks me about my day."

"She's a wonderful friend," Rayela affirmed. "You must've known her for a long time. You're very brave to try and help her. She appreciates you, Henry and no matter what happens, I promise, she will always be here."

She gently took Henry's hand and pressed it to his chest.

"She will always be in your heart. She is the reason you have stayed strong during all of this. She would not want to see you sad, Henry. She would want you to smile and remember all the happy times you both had together. She'd want you to remember the times when she gave you those pastries and you smiled and said thank you."

Her words were kind, but all Henry could hear was will always be in your heart, would, remember. He yanked his hand away from her as another tear slid down his cheek, "No! She has to live! I'll help her if I have to!" he started marching back toward the fires.

"No!" She stood up and grabbed a hold of his arm. "Listen to me, Henry." Her voice was stern, yet held a tone of compassion. "You can't go back. It's too dangerous. You'll die."

She could not allow this little boy to risk himself all for his friend, not when the city was still blazing with fire. Rayela did not understand why she wanted so much to keep this boy from the painstaking trauma of seeing his friend reduced to a scorched body, to hold him, and tell him everything would be okay, but she wanted to do everything to keep him safe while the group figured out what to do next.

"She's safe from the fire, but you can't go back. Not right now."

"Let go of me!" he tried and failed to pull his arm free. He gave it a few more attempts before resigning, "If my friend dies…." he glared at her.

"They are doing everything they can to keep her from dying, I promise. I know it's difficult to not be by her side, but I promise they are trying, and that's all that matters."

"What do you know!" he snapped at her, "Cassie's not your friend, she's mine!"

"I know because I've lost people dear to me. I know that because I had a son just like you and he meant the world to me and I lost him. If we don't stay strong and have hope for Cassie that she will recover, it will be more difficult for you in the event that she is no longer here."

Rayela did not know any other way to tell him now. Cassie would either die with their best efforts or she would live. It was simple, but not something that a young boy like Henry would understand. She admired his courage and ambition, but implored him to be less risky and a danger to himself. It would not be what his friend wanted.

"Cassie would not want you to get yourself caught up in the dangers of the fire again, Henry. Do this for her. Pray for her and be safe."

Henry fell still at her words. His eyes fixed on Westhollow no more, he looked toward Rayela, "You had a son?" stressing the past tense as he looked to the ground beneath them, "I...I'm sorry," he said as he brushed away tears from his eyes. A moment later, Henry crashed against Rayela once again in a warm embrace.

Surprise washed over Rayela's features as she felt Henry wrap his arms around her and hold her tight. Her eyes blurred. It was like her son was in her arms once more, like that sense of love and security had come back. She felt a few tears roll down her cheek as Henry held her. Rayela trembled and wrapped her arms around the young boy.

"Yes, I had one."

That Time Alana Slapped Sindri
collab w/ @RJS
The thick clouds of smoke bellowed up into the sky and the smell of burnt wood and flesh filled Alana's nostrils as her eyes took in the catastrophe before them. Everyone had seemed to be able to spring into action. All except her. She had remained firmly in place, stunned and frozen as she watched the scene unfold in front of her. Emerald eyes darted from one side to the other as she watched her group move to help those burning and in need. All Alana wanted to do was hide. She wasn't meant for this. She wasn't meant to be some hero. If only she could just retreat into the shadows and just disappear. Everything would have been better if she had not helped that dancer, if she had not overheard a conversation she shouldn't have, if she had not followed along on a quest she was never meant to be on. Magic wasn't real. They were just getting themselves into bigger and bigger messes.

There was still a chance. With such mayhem she could easily slip away without being noticed but when her eyes fell on Sindri, she couldn't bring herself to. She watched the man attempt to save the woman burning on the pyre but in the process turn into, she couldn't even describe what. Stone? Steel? It didn't matter. He had somehow managed to save the girl but in doing so, fell and collapsed to the ground. "Sindri!" she yelled out as her feet began to move towards the fallen man. How could this be? He was right. He had been right from the start. Magic had returned and she had bore witness to it. Sindri had magic. "Sindri!" Alana yelled a little louder as she picked up the pace and moved towards him.

The others were busy tending to fire or those hurt. Alana did her best to rush to Sindri. She fell to her knees beside him. His clothes were still smoking. Alana quickly grabbed some dirt from the ground and did her best to put out the smoke and small bits of flame before it began to burn him. When she was sure he wasn't still burning she pushed as hard as she could to turn him onto his back. He was heavy but she was able to maneuver him enough so he was no longer face down.

She began to pat the side of his cheek. "Sindri? Sindri?" she said over and over. "Wake up, Sindri. Wake up. Come on." Commotion surrounded them and the girl Sindri saved was still on the ground not far from them. Alana couldn't bare to look at her. Her body was badly burnt. She didn't know what to do. All she knew was that she needed Sindri to be ok. She wanted to tell him that he was right and perhaps they could help the girl together.

She pushed at his chest. It was easier to touch a man when she knew he could not touch her back. "Sindri!" she yelled at him and began to shake his shoulders. "Wake. Up." Alana looked around her as she shook him. A man she didn't recognize was coming towards the girl Sindri saved. Good. Now she didn't have to worry about her too. Even Atum had joined in to help. They could handle her. Alana returned her attention to the unconscious Sindri. "Come on, Sindri. Please wake up. You were right. You were right."

Suddenly, she began to feel tired. Was she pushing Sindri a little too hard? Perhaps it was the journey and the adrenaline coursing through them all. She ignored the feeling. "Sindri!" she yelled once more before her eyes found the girl he had saved. Only this time...she wasn't a mess of burnt flesh. The man she had seen earlier rush towards her was….Alana's eyes opened wide as her jaw dropped. She couldn't believe what she was seeing. She hadn't even noticed how hard she was slapping the side of Sindri's cheek...

Cool comforting darkness suddenly erupted into searing white as Sindri's head slammed into something firm and unyielding. The left side of his face was ablaze with pain as his right cheek ground into the floor. What had happened? Why was he...the fire! He frantically patted at the left side of his face, trying to extinguish the flames that were eating into his cheek...except his hands found none. Wait? No fire? He must've imagined saving the girl...which means!

He scrabbled at the ground behind him, trying to push himself up to his feet. His arms felt strange, almost limp and lifeless, and every time he found purchase on the ground his palm just seemed to slide instead. Come to think of it, everything was starting to hurt now - not the burning sting of his left cheek but a deep dull ache that throbbed through his body. His eyes now finally adjusted to the light, he could see Alana leant over him, staring open mouthed at something he couldn't see. "Alana! Don't just sit around, you need to save the girl, she'll die!"

That's what he wanted to say. What came out instead was a faint harsh rasp through which no words could be heard. He swallowed hard. Tried again. What came out was more forceful this time, but still lacked any clear enunciation. His throat now ablaze in agony from the effort, Sindri tried once more, this time barely managing to croak out two words. "Girl. Save."

Alana turned her attention back to Sindri and sighed in relief. "She's…" She glanced once more to the two men around the other woman. "...fine now." She was still in disbelief of what she had just witnessed but Sindri needed her now. "Sindri, you were right. Magic. It has returned. It's...everywhere."

"Ma-gic…" was all Sindri managed to utter before his voice tailed off again into a gravelly rattle. Ceasing his futile efforts to sit up, he began to prod his neck that arms that felt oddly numb and unresponsive. Nothing seemed to be out of place, but something seemed very wrong. He...could barely speak. He tried again, only to immediately be overcome by a dry hacking cough that developed into a full on retching cough. Rolling weakly onto his side, he continued to cough and splutter, as a fine black sand was expelled from his mouth.

"Sindri!" Alana yelled out as she saw the black sand leave his mouth. What was happening to him? Was he dying? "Help!" she called out around her. "Someone help!"

As his coughing fit began to recede, Sindri could begin to hear Alana's cries. Did he need help? Even as he'd coughed, he'd felt some of the rough constriction inside him shift and leave, and since it seemed to be all done...maybe he could…

"It's ok. I'm ok." The voice was hoarse from his earlier straining, but it was unmistakable his voice. Words could come freely. He rolled back over lying on his back, even as the tremors that usually wracked him in times of crisis began to grip his limbs once more. Forcing himself into stillness, he painstakingly levered himself into an upright position. Wiping a bit of phlegm from his chin, he looked down and caught sight of a spattering of a strange black sand that didn't look like anything else around. "Anyone know...what that is?" He looked around sheepishly. "And anybody got some water?"

2ed08748160cd81354971bb1c8d647f8.png

What had happened? Shireen had been so busy trying to put out the fire, but even she had noticed the change to the skin that was visible on her, as well as the woman who had been tied up on the pole. Even the fire, for that moment, had seemed harmless. In that time Atum had arrived and together they attempted to put out the fire. She tried her hardest to ignore the burnt corpses, grateful that Sindri was able to save the little boy's friend.

And then it returned- the searing heat of the flames. Cussing, she moved back, deciding it was high time to leave this damned area. Turning around, she saw Sindri on the ground, clearly unconscious. Thankfully the somewhat level headed Alana headed over to help him. It was about then that Atum headed off, probably to help the others. Shireen hadn't been able to catch quite clearly what he said, but she doubted he would leave anywhere permanently, not without his horse.

Speaking of which, where was Amal? And for that matter, where was Rayela? Eyes squinting, she looked through the smoke for a horse but couldn't see anyone save for her companions and two strangers, a man and a woman whom she didn't recognize.

"Sh*t..." Once again she cussed before looking passed the gates. No, she wouldn've gone that way, that'd be stupid. As she turned away, she barely caught sight of two other men... but no Rayela. Gritting her teeth in frustration, Shireen moved further away from the gates, looking this way and that as she tried to thing of a reasonable direction in which Amal may have gone. A growl escaped her- this was why ships were so much better; there was only so little space that you could run in. On land, every direction had a plethora of other directions that stemmed from it.

Unsure of which way to go yet determined not to lose one of her companions, Shireen decided the best way was to just spit it out. "Rayela?!" she shouted. "Hey? Anyone seen her? She ain't round here!"​

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Reina and Spekkun
Her short time with Henry was precious, more precious than her own life. She'd lulled the young child to sleep with a lullaby and for a while, there was peace. As the fire roared near the pyres and burned the church into ashes, Rayela kept an eye on Henry. Surely, the others would follow the horse tracks and find her and Henry. Rayela sighed and glanced down at the sleeping boy, tucked underneath the clean blanket Rayela had found inside Atum's sack. His head rested on her lap and his body curled up against her, exhausted and out of breath.

"We'll find your Mother," she murmured. "Soon."

The group hadn't left the city, it seemed. Rayela couldn't see them or hear them. There was only the two raging infernos, and as much as Rayela hated to go back in, she could not travel by herself with Henry and needed to find them. She shifted slightly and heard the young boy groan. Rayela murmured the same lullaby as she placed Henry back onto the saddle. Her bandage had loosened a little, possibly getting dirt and other particles in the wound, but Rayela didn't care as long as Henry was safe and away from the flames.

She pulled herself back up and gently guided Henry to lean back against her in a somewhat comfortable position and turned to travel back towards the gate where she'd left. Her peace was interrupted along the way as she heard a familiar voice calling out her name from a distance. Rayela squinted her eyes and upon closer inspection, she noticed Shireen. Henry stirred a little and she coaxed him back to sleep.

"Shireen," she spoke, as she approached the woman from a few feet away. "Be quiet. Henry is sleeping. Has Sindri woken up?"

• Bucket of Rainbows
  • Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Reina and Greenie
With a breath of relief, Darin turned his attention to Cassie when he noticed the two fighting the fires heeded his plea. Cassie shook as pain wracked her body. Most of her clothes had burned away revealing cracked, black skin covering half her body burned by the fire. Her brown eyes looked wide up at him begging him to make the pain stop, to help her in her agony.

"I'm sorry," he told her shaking his head, "I know basic aid...this," he hovered his hands over her burned flesh, "This is beyond me," his heart broke as he watched her eyes tear up, "But I'll do everything I can. I promise."

Atum had just finished helping Shireen put out one of the pyres, unable to hide the grimace at the body before him. The person burned on this one was long gone. It was probably for the better. Burning was a terrible pain, one that he wouldn't wish upon anyone.

He would have gone to look for water, his attention focused on removing fire entirely, but he overheard Darin speaking to Cassie, her cries of pain and agony drawing him over "Shireen, I'm going to try and help that girl." He told her before running over to Cassie and Darin. It was almost hard to look at her. "I could try and do something, but I don't know if it would work, and it might not be enough, but it's something."

He wasn't exactly sure how he'd be able to replicate the feat he'd done for Shireen, and if he did, to what extent? Shireen had scars left, which was an indication to him that his magic wouldn't help her recover fully, she would still need more than that. Still, he had to try.

Darin looked toward the man and nodded. If he could do something, then the poor woman before them might just make it, "What do you need me to do?" He asked.

"Not much, I just need to focus." Atum told him. He raised his hands, staring, nearly glaring, at them as he tried to get the light to come back to them. He tried to remember what happened the first time when he healed Shireen. How he felt, what he was thinking, his mood, all of it. Soon enough, his hands started to shine once more, appearing as if they were made of a white light that bathed the area in its glow.

"It worked…" He was wary of touching the woman, but that was how it worked last time. Carefully, he lowered his hands to her scorched flesh. Just like before, once he made contact with her, he could feel the light leaving his hands and flowing into her, fixing whatever damage it could.

Unfortunately, the light faded just as quickly as last time, leaving her looking better, but nowhere near good. The deep burns and blisters remained, but the skin was shifting back to a natural color almost. At most, he'd treated the symptoms and relieved the pain. "That's...that's the best I can do."

Darin looked on in shock. He wasn't the only one who could do things. He watched as the man's hands glowed and he pressed them against the woman. When they pulled away, you could see the minor improvements. "How did you…" Darin shook his head and hovered his hands over the woman, "Let me try," he nodded.

Reaching into himself, he tugged at that same well that rose when he had helped Catriona. The emotions of seeing a woman as badly injured as Cassie was welled up inside him until he felt that surge of power rush through him once again. It washed over his body, flowed from his hands, and into the young woman. Boils dried up and fell away and burned flesh crumbled and slid from her body, revealing healthy pink flesh. Cassie seemed to relax as well. The pain ebbing away until there was nothing but slow steady breathing. Quickly, Darin slid his cloak from his back and draped it over her.

His eyes turned up toward the man that helped him and he let out a breath of relief, "I...I wasn't sure I could do it.."

Now it was Atum's turn to look on in shock. Not only did this man have magic as well, but it was far more powerful than his own. It did more than heal her, it revitalized her, giving her body new life. "Incredible…" He breathed. "I'm glad you were able too, that's one less person that would have died today." She had her health back, thank god.

"Now what?" He asked Darin. The pyres were put out and the woman was saved, at least from her burns. "It's not a good idea for her to stay here." He stood up, almost losing his balance. He felt a wave of exhaustion sweep over him. He ignored it though, leaving it to the stress of the previous situation and its passing. He only wished Amal was here to help out.

Shaking his head, Darin leaned over the woman and hovered the back of his hand over nostrils. The steady brush of her warm breath made him lean back and sigh, "We can't take her back into the city. They'll just want to put her to the same tortures all over again."

Standing to his feet, Darin spun around looking for Catriona, "We have a horse and cart. I'll just have…" his eyes fell on her with Wymond and Ardryan, "Catriona!" He yelled.

Atum looked in the direction Darin turned to face, relieved to see he had people to assist."That's good, I only have a horse but he's with someone else right now...unscathed, I hope." He made a silent prayer that they were safe. The horse more than the woman he'd left it with.

• Nice Execution!
  • Love
zTHyLJh.png
It was a strange feeling that struck Catriona at the sight of Wymond and Ardryan. Relief, coupled with a sense of guilt... Their split had been necessary, but she could see in the men a sense of strain - and when Wymond left her side to approach the sobbing woman, Rion was sure that their mission had not been a success. Despite what she told herself about how they had insisted upon coming, Rion knew neither man would be in Westhollow if not for her, and the idea that she had added, somehow, to their already monumental grief...

As Wymond turned to face her again, she nodded to his suggestion, "We only came back to see if you two were alright. There's more going on here than just the Untamed. And I'm afraid our new companions here might be aware of it, as well." She had seem the man... the magic that had flown from him, into the woman on the pyre. And she knew in her heart that it was the same thing that carried through her... through Darin. Her hand pressed to the spot on her chest where the dagger had struck, and she swallowed her nerves, "I think it might be best if we--"

But whatever she was going to say was cut off by a sudden cry behind her, and spinning, Catriona's eyes widened at the sight that met her. A throng of men, twenty or more, poured from the smoke filled city at a run, and at their forefront, Ordy, wearing an expression of pure malice. For the first time since she had seen the man the night prior, he seemed sober... and no doubt, he had seen what had become of Telly. Spinning to the Wymond again, she shook her head, "...Haven't shaken them. We have to run, now!"

• Nice Execution!
Hello Darkness My Old Friend
(Disturb's version is best version)
Darin's eyes widened as he watched the Untamed pour from behind the palisade gate. Ordy led the charge, and it didn't take much for Darin to discover that the large man had his eyes fixed on the trio not far from them. Quickly he slid the bow from his back and knocked an arrow. Drawing back, he released it in an arc, "Rion! Run!" He yelled as the arrow fell in the shoulder of one of the Untamed. Looking toward Atum, he spoke, "Can you carry her?" His eyes turned to the other two close by, "You need to run! They'll kill us all!"

Alana's eyes looked towards the men that were now coming towards them, squinting to get a better look. There was a fiery anger that resonated from their eyes. They were out for blood. One of the men raised his blade in the air giving Alana a chance to see the tattoo etched into his skin. The symbol made her stop. She recognized it. She had seen it before. The man that had violated her years ago had the exact same marking on his skin. Alana remained wide eyed, unable to move though she was being yelled at to run. Fear gripped her very being rendering her speechless and paralyzed. She shouldn't have come here. She should have run when she had the chance. She needed to hide. She had to hide.

Darin knocked and fired another arrow, watching it whiz safely by Catriona and the others, "Run!" He told the lady frozen beside him, "If they get to you, they'll do worse than just kill you," he fired another arrow.

It was too late. They were coming too quickly and there were too many. Her breath stilled and the words of the man beside her fell on deaf ears. Alana's eyes remained fixed on the men coming towards them, on the tattoos that marked their skins. Memories immediately came of what had happened to her and fear continued to grip tightly to her. She just wanted to slip into the shadows and disappear, leave everyone behind. If only she could hide. If only she could hide…

The light of the fires that plagued Westhollow continued to burn, their light casting shadows over the streets and homes. Shadows that suddenly began to dissipate and shift their positions. The darkness that had surrounded the town was moving in Alana's direction as she continued to wish to shield herself. The thick blackness settled upon her and she was suddenly completely out of view, camouflaged by the shadows, melded into them.

"Hey!" Darin yelled, his eyes scanning the space the woman once stood, "Where'd you go?" He spun around, drawing his second to last arrow and firing it off, "Where'd de you went...whatever you did...we could really use the help!"

Alana looked around. She could see the man looking for her but being unable to find her. She had wished to be hidden and was suddenly out of view. Her eyes found Sindri, whom she assumed also could not see her either, and mouthed "magic". She had witnessed it in him, witnessed it with the man that healed the burned woman and now with herself. Magic really had returned. She had very little time to truly come to terms with what she had just experienced. The men were still coming and although they could not see her, they could still see the others. Sindri had used his powers to save a woman he did not know. Atum and the man with the arrows beside her was doing the same. Alana had to try as well. She had to stop those men from hurting anyone else.

"I don't know how!" she yelled back at the man. "I don't even know how I covered myself!"

Darin shook his head as he drew the last of his arrows. Knocking it, he drew the arrow back and released it, sending it into a man that was reaching for Catriona, "Look, lady, if you don't figure it out, we're all going to die," he slung his bow back over his shoulder and drew his dagger, "Please save her.." he begged the woman.

Alana looked to the man than to the woman he was so desperately trying to save. She took in a deep breath, still unsure of how she was even supposed to help. She stared at the woman the man was looking at and wished for her to be covered as well. "Hide her," she whispered to herself though the shadows seemed to refuse to move, remaining firmly by her side. She tried again. "Hide her," she said once more yet still nothing.

What had caused the shadows to move to her in the first place? Alana thought for quick moment. She didn't have much time left. What had caused them to come?...Fear. Her eyes instead fell on the men and the tattoos that were etched forever in her mind. As she concentrated on that, the shadows that surrounded her expanded. They had enveloped the man beside her, Atum and the now healed woman, Sindri, and were moving towards the woman and the two men beside her. In seconds they were shielded as well, along with Shireen and Rayela who were nearby, all hidden by the shadows and lost to the men attempting to harm them.

Alana breathed in a sigh of relief as she was now visible to anyone within the covering of the shadows. "I did it," she said with a slight smile to the man. "She's safe. We're safe. They can't see us. They can't find us." Alana suddenly grimaced in pain. She looked down to her hands and noticed the veins beneath her ivory skin darkening and turning as black as the shadows that covered them. The longer she maintained the covering of the shadows, the more the pain increased and the blackening of her veins moved up her arms. "We need to go! I don't know how long I can cover us all. It's too much for me."

Darin nodded, "To Westhollow, then. There's plenty of hiding in there. Hurry!"

Tags: @DarinValore @SkittlesAndSpike @Jays @Ultra Paradox @Elle Joyner @RJS @Greenie @Kat

Last edited:
"By the gods…" Wymond stood on the peak of that hilltop trying to wrap his head around what the hell just happened. From what he was able to discern, that is if his eyes weren't playing tricks on him and he wasn't going completely crazy, was two grown men heal the severe burns off of that girl. In fact, not only did they heal the charred skin, but they did so with their bare hands! Neglecting any medical equipment at all, and somehow aiding the girl with what looked like heaven sent powers.

Catriona spoke up, about to say the exact words he was thinking. They would have to leave and soon. This was no place for them. Not anymore. And that group of strangers wielded magic. Including Darin! If they're willing to burn people who they think are witches, imagine what they would do to those who truly wield that type of power. But just as the words escaped her lips a mob of people came rushing out of the thick smoke. They were angry, and leading the pack was none other than Ordy.

He could sense the fear resonating off of Catriona, as she turned to him begging them to run. Wymond looked at Ardryan, reached for his sword and glanced back down the hill. "Catriona, go on ahead of us!" He unsheathed his blade, "I won't just leave Darin behind…" Before she could utter another word he was sprinting down the hill sword in hand.

He didn't feel that rush of adrenaline in years. The wind in his hair, the sound of his trudging armor upon his body shifting with each step, and the weight of having to hold the hefty blade in one hand. His body no longer felt heavy, the depression shifted, and for once since that terrible day he had forgotten his daughter's death. It was kill or be killed. Now this was one game he was good at.

Suddenly a battlecry erupted from his lips and he sprinted past Darin and into one of the men. He caught the younger foe by surprise, as he didn't have enough time to bring his makeshift shield up and was met with cold steel between the pecs. He slumped almost instantly, blood gushing from his wounds as Wymond dislodged him from the sword with a hefty kick. Suddenly a man came up from his right side, but the arrow that Darin fired hit him on the shoulder, distracting him enough for Wymond to crack him on the temple with a solid punch. The man stumbled backwards, and Wymond used this time to pick up the makeshift shield holding it up and warrily back stepping besides Darin.

"This is why you don't help strangers!" He shouted with a smile on his face to his friend as he analyzed the battlefield. The man he hit was regaining his composure and the rest were still moving up, now cautiously but just as fast as before. He took a deep breath, muting those around him. Darin was saying something to the girl nearby, but he didn't hear it. He was reveling the moment, enjoying every last bit of it. His last time on Earth.

Then, next thing he knew they were shrouded by some sort of black smoke. He looked around in amazement, "We're just surrounded by magic users huh?" He shook his head, "We're outnumbered. We have to go and fast. We need to get out of here, move it, let's go!" He threw the shield down, sheathed the sword. "There's no time to waste go, go!"

@DarinValore @SkittlesAndSpike @Jays @La Reina @Elle Joyner @RJS @Greenie @Kat

Last edited by a moderator:
zTHyLJh.png
Arrows buzzed past, coming from behind and ahead, as Darin fired back into the fray. She could see him, her eyes focused on him like a source of light at the end of a cave. Heart pounding, she ran as fast as her legs would carry her, and with her vision narrowed, she couldn't see to the left or right to tell if Ardryan and Wymond were alright, but she had to trust the men could handle themselves. She had to believe that they would be alright.

The roar of the crowd was drowned out by the pounding of blood in her ears, and her breath hitched in her lungs as another arrow shot past. They were still a ways off... not far, now, but the throng of Untamed were gaining and she could only go so fast.

She heard Darin call for her and she wanted to tell him to run... to get away. She knew what they would do to her, but what they would do to Darin would be so much worse, and her heart couldn't bear the thought of it. But he wouldn't go, and as he unleashed the last of his arrows and drew his blade, fear overwhelmed her senses, and she could feel heat roiling... rolling along her spine, into her blanched cheeks, prickling and painful. She would get him killed... She would get them all killed.

Then something happened... something wholly unexpected. First the girl standing nearest Darin vanished... then one by one the others began to fade from sight, and panic swelled as the prickling heat became nearly unbearable. Catriona felt her body seize, her legs buckle... she looked ahead and Wymond and Ardryan were gone...

Behind her she could hear a yell... Ordy's rage filled cry.

Then it was silenced and everyone returned and Catriona gasped as she stared at them in transfixed shock. They were in a void... like shadow had pressed in and encapsulated them, cocooned them.

Pushing upright, a sob escaped and racing the last few feet, Catriona threw herself at Darin, threw her arms around his neck and clung, clung for dear life.

"There you are," Shireen replied when she heard Rayela. She looked to the boy, glad to see he was safe and sound, and apparently asleep as well. Good, she thought to herself. "Sindri's awake, aye. Alana took care of him. Atum an' that other man're with the woman he saved." She hadn't spared a glance to see what the two were up to, but when she did now, she could see the woman looked much better than she had before. Had Atum used magic once more, like he had with her head wound?

There was no time to go forward and ask, however. A sudden ruckus sounded, caused by a group of men rushing out of the city gates. She didn't know who they were after or why, but the look on their faces was clear- they wouldn't care who they hurt in pursuit of what they wanted. It was hard to tell what, in such a short amount of time, but the way the man with Atum seemed to have reacted, it was either for him or someone he knew. Regardless, Shireen wasn't going to let them hurt her or anyone she wanted to keep safe!

"Atum!" she called urgently, "you'll havta lead Amal!" She knew Rayela could ride the horse, but she presumed Amal would probably be more mindful if its master was handling it, especially now that they were going to rush through a throng of armed and dangerous men.

With that said, she pulled her sword from its scabbard, the look on her face hard yet confident; she knew how to use the blade and she had no qualms about dispatching the pack of scum heading their way. A thug was already rushing in the direction of Amal and Rayela- Shireen's sword cut through the air and into the man with practiced ease, slicing through his shirt, blood blossoming where he had been cut. Unwilling to assume he was dead, she struck him next with her boot, knocking him to the ground before stabbing him clear through the gut. Her expression grim, she swerved around, ready to attack the next man who dared come her way. Maybe in this fashion she could help make a path to the city's gates, making it easier for the others to pass through...

It was as if someone had turned the world a pitch black... and then suddenly she could see again. Surprisingly, Shireen didn't seem to find it scary or disconcerting in the least; in fact, it was somewhat comforting. Her gaze shifted and she saw Alana, noticing the change that was taking place in her arms. She's the one behind it. However she was doing it, it looked painful. Sh*t. She doubted it would last much longer.

"Hurry y'all!" Without wasting another moment she dashed for the gates, her sword before her now as a defense rather than an offensive tool, unwilling to accidentally hurt any innocent folk.

Westhollow, ya just keep gettin' better an' better, eh?

@Kat
@SkittlesAndSpike

SINDRI HERMOD

It seemed like the world went insane in but an instant. Well, more insane than it already was, somehow.

A horde of angry men charging them from the town, hate in their eyes and murder on their minds. Drained and exhausted, he stood no chance of getting out of this alive. All he could hope for is that they made it quick, and didn't tie him up onto one of the pyres. Honestly, what had he expected? Getting caught up in things that were beyond him, intruding where he wasn't wanted. He thought he'd learned that lesson long ago. Well, his foolishness had come back to repay him in full. Closing his eyes, he breathed deeply. Best get it over with. Disappear, like he ought to.

A surprised yell caused him to reopen his eyes. Alana was gone. No movement, no sound, just...gone. Then the girl he had pulled from the fire seemed to pop out of sight, then the stranger standing by her...and then they were all back, and the world seemed shrouded in mist. So I'm not the only one... As everyone yelled to start running into the city, SIndri spotted the strain on Alana's face and the strange markings beginning to spread across her hands. She was struggling, hurting...so that they would be safe.

He scrambled to his feet before immediately staggering, the sudden change in position bringing on a rush of light-headedness. With legs that felt leaden, he began to run in the same direction as the others, past the angry mob. He stumbled, almost falling, before his legs gave out after a few more paces. Grunting, he struggled to his feet, labouring onwards. He couldn't fall behind. He couldn't force Alana to bear the pain for any longer on his behalf. Half-running, half-falling, Sindri continued his desperate rush towards the gates.

• Nice Execution!
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie and Reina
7a3670da65585008712fbc8b3d9f612d.png

The scent of charred memories caressed Ardryan's cheeks, gentle, lifeless. Absentminded fear saturated the specks of ash that danced atop the wind-borne smoky mirage, suffocating the firelight into hopeless streaks of crimson cutting through patches of lone shadows that stretched long across the deserted square.

Wymond had been quick to rush to Catriona's side, but Ardryan was taking his time. He needed a few moments to think. A few steps more, a minute to himself, perhaps he would figure it all out, push through the sluggishness in his head. His hands shook uncontrollably, yet his mind was a waveless ocean of calm blankness. Odd, that.

"You shouldn't blame yourself. You did all you could." The familiar voice tickled his neck and sent shivers rushing through his blood.

"Is that what you'd say?" He didn't stop, but his feet seemed to drag, like he was treading waist-high water.

"No, it is what you are telling yourself, right now. I can feel it. You cannot hide from me." Lorraine's words flickered all around him, directionless, an impression of his form filled the corner of Ardryan's vision.

"I never tried to. You were never really here." Once those words would have broken his heart. Now they brought only a twinge of longing.

"My my! Two lies in a single breath? How do you live with yourself, Ardryan Lynkt?" The familiarity of that mocking tone clanged against his armour, igniting a spark. The fuel of his guilt didn't burn.

"I don't have time for you today." He said, trudging forward through clouds of smoke like wading through dark curtains, leaving the spectre behind. "I have work to do."

"This is your doing. You killed them. You, no one else."

Ardryan stopped dead in his track and whirled around. There he was, the wraith of Lorraine, perfect as ever, his golden locks trailing an etherial wind, emerald eyes glittering a dark intensity, a celestial amongst the wreckage of hell. He looked so beautiful it hurt , so beautiful that those cold cruel words could not have possibly come from him.

"I did what I had to do." Ardryan's voice wavered just the slightest touch.

"Yes, that seems to be your reply to every horrendous act you have ever committed. Is that fear in your face I see? Where is that conviction you held every time you said those exact words?" The alien expression and the frigid tone was unmistakably his, twisted to malicious intent. Ardryan didn't recognize that face, even if he knew intimately every inch of it.

"I did what I had to do, always." He said more forcefully, trying to breath steel into his faltering voice. "For them, for you..."

"Please. I was merely your excuse. Everything you have ever done, you have done for yourself." The wraith spat, like something foul and poisonous was in its mouth.

"That is not true. I..."

"Drop the pretense of guilt. Guilt implies responsibility, and you have never taken responsibility for anything in your entrire life."

"The war..."

"Please, don't claim to be scarred by the war, or changed by it. It is only another of your excuses. You never blamed yourself for a single thing you did. In your mind, it was all on me. You were ordered, you had no choice. You did it for me. Lies, lies, lies!" The wraith was inches away from Ardryan's face, boring into him with those knowing, dark malicious eyes that condemned him with their knowledge. The words burned him like white hot ember. "You did what you did because you liked it, because it gave you an illusion of control."

"Don't you dare." Ardryan's whisper was low and dangerous. "Don't you dare defile the only good I managed to do."

"You are addicted to it, this illusion of control. All your life you had done what others told you to, expected you to. You saw it in their eyes, the way they looked at you. The rapist's bastard son. They never treated you wrongly, or revealed what they thought, but you saw it all the same. So you followed every rule to the letter, perfected every instruction, pretending to be who they wanted you to be. Even with me. You were never the master of your life, always the one following orders. When did it all change?"

Ardryan's breathe came quick and laboured, a veil of blazing fury covered his vision as his gaze bore into the features of a man who wasn't there.

"When did uneasy obedience become self-righteous justification? When did you start blinding your own eyes and convinced yourself that you were blameless for all your actions? When did it become a way to hide from the truth?"

"You are not him. You are nothing."

His legs started moving again, pulling unimaginable weight with each step.

"Perhaps. But what does it matter what you say? What does it matter what I say? You will always have that sliver of doubt that will not allow you to truly decide." The spectre's voice followed him, clinging to the very fibres of his being.

"I am not what you made me out to be. I am anything but a coward."

"Are you? Then why have you not faced Mother and Father yet? Why have you not let me go?"

He had no answer to that.

"Poor little Arty, cannot handle free will." The scorn of the words dripped through the windless air like venomous smoke, the contempt of a man to a child. "The first time there is no one there to give him orders, the first time he could think for himself, he killed the people he tried to help. And now he's terrified of making choices, terrified of hurting others, so scared he could not face them, so scared he dares not make a decision for himself again."

His companions drew near, despite his faltering step. It had only been mere breaths.

"You are a dog born to lick your masters' boots, Ardryan Lynkt."

They were lies, every single word. They were. They were. They must be.

"Oh look, here they come." He could faintly hear Wymond talking to him, before rushing into the fray of more than a dozen tattooed men coming over the hill.

"What are you waiting for? Burn them. Burn them! Burn them all!" The voice hissed in glee. And he knew he could, he felt the heat coursing through his body at the sight of violence. His foot shifted, readying.
"Yes, burn them. Show your true face, show all of these people the depth of your cruelty and hatred. Or are you going to stay your hand and be a coward?"
Ardryan froze in place, uncertain. Torn. His mind was a throbbing glass vial filled with fleeting streaks of light, devastatingly nauseating.
Slowly, excruciatingly, he held the strange fire in his veins back and stepped away from the abyss. Instead, Ardryan raised his spear, twisted half a circle and sprung forward, throwing the spear upward in a spinning arc.
The weapon buried itself onto the nearest Untamed's side just as the shadow devoured him.

He hadn't noticed the others had disappeared until he himself was covered by the mystical mist.
"And you choose to be a coward. It was inevitable. It is who you are."

The others yelled out to him, urging him to run.
"Your masters called, coward. Be a good dog and go to them."

"Shut up. SHUT UP!"

The scream burst out of him before he could contain it, ringing across the square. The others may have heard it.

"Shut up." His legs moved to follow the others, but his mind was far away.

Last edited:
[fieldbox="Outside of Westhollow, green, solid"]
Darin shifted his weight anxiously. Firing arrows at the Untamed would be so much easier than trying to stab them with his dagger. In fact, he knew the chances of him surviving a melee fight were so much slimmer than if he had more arrows to fire. Still, that was Catriona….his Catriona, and the last thing he'd do was ensure she wasn't taken by the Untamed even if it meant his last breath.

Tightening his grip on the blade, Darin started toward them but a moment later, darkness enveloped him. Catriona disappeared from sight and Darin spun around, "Wait, stop!" He called to the source, "Let me out. I can't leave her!"

As the darkness seemed to settle around him, so to did the imagery and a moment of relief washed over him as he saw her running still. They hadn't caught her yet, "Run!" He yelled unsure of whether or not his words would be heard, "Rion, I'm right here! Run!"

A moment later, the darkness rippled and Catriona slipped inside of it after Wymond and Ardryan. Darin waited only a moment to see if any Untamed would follow, but he watched as Ordy stopped the rampaging force. Fear, anger, and frustration were worn like a mask on Ordy as he barked inaudible orders to his men. Darin thought only a moment about throwing his dagger from the shadows and watching it sink into the fat, evil man.

But warmth...no, heat, washed over him as Catriona threw herself against him. His grip on his dagger loosened and the blade fell to the grass beneath them. His hands wrapped around her immediately despite the rise in temperature, "Rion," he whispered, "I've got you."

Tears stung against hot cheeks as she burrowed as close as she dared, her fingers digging into the fabric of his shirt, pulling him close. Heat coursed, coursed and did not ebb as her sob of fear and desperation turned to pain, her forehead tucked into his collar searingly warm.

Scenes of Sarah begging him to save her flashed across his mind. The heat that rose from her was the same that coursed through Catriona. His heart slammed against his chest. His arms tightened around her, and his chin roosted upon her crown, "Hey," he told her before pressing his lips against her head, "Hey, shhh."

The others began to move, the woman who shrouded them strained with each step. They were heading toward Westhollow just as he had suggested. There they could find shelter among the buildings and throngs of people. Despite everything that had happened, it was safer there than in the open field, for when the shroud failed, they would be fodder for the Untamed machine.

Darin shifted in her grip, he could feel her fighting against his movement, seemingly fearful that he'd step away, "I'm not going anywhere, I promise," he told her before he swept her up with a grunt, "I've got you," he told her again, his eyes falling to her as his feet began to move toward the city.

Curling close, quivering, she squeezed her eyes shut and listened… against the blood pounding in her ears, against the drumbeat of their companion's frantic footfall. She listened for the rhythm beyond skin and bone, pressed her ear to his chest and focused…

He was safe. He was alright. It was going to be alright…

Slowly, like a blanket being pulled away, she could feel the warmth slipping, as her own heart synchronized to his. Peeling her hands away, she looked to him, "It's okay… I'm okay. I can do this." They would be faster with her on her feet, and haste seemed the best course of action for the poor woman shrouding them… "Set me down."

He nodded as he stopped and gently placed her on her feet. With the warmth gone, he had no reason to doubt her. Pulling his bow free from his shoulder, he snatched an arrow from her quiver, knocked, aimed, and loosed it. It whistled through the air piercing through the veil. Darin watched as it sunk into the head of the man closest to Ordy, the man falling to the ground only a moment later. Though Ordy could not see him, Darin locked eyes with him for only a moment. Satisfied his message was received, he shouldered his bow and took Catriona's hand, "Let's go."
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Westhollow, gold, solid"]
Smoke billowed from the smoldering remains of the houses that surrounded the church. For two hours, the people fought the fires and managed to finally tame them. People covered in soot dug through the ruins in hopes of finding some of their valuables. Rumors has begun to rise concerning what had started the fire. Some fearing that spirits of those burned at the stake had returned to seek vengeance. What made those rumors worse was the fact that Cassie's body was no where to be found setting the whole town on alert.

Beyond that, the Untamed stepped up their patrol. Ordy's failure to catch Catriona and her band of troublemakers coupled with the presence of Lady Viviana and her guest caused Killian to increase the Untamed patrols. Those who were not digging out the ruined homes, found themselves cowering behind their closed doors. Any time the Untamed were not happy usually spelled trouble for innocent people.[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Untamed Brothel, red, solid"]
"I'm beginning to question your reliability, Killian," Viviana stated bluntly as she burst through the man's door, "The fire by the church, the men you lost just outside of the city, you guaranteed me safe passage and yet you should not have because you cannot even control your own city!"

Killian slammed his palm flat against his desk, "Careful, Viviana. You are my guest and as such better remember that this sure as hell is my city and I have everything under control. As it turns out, this chaos is just the cover we needed. It seems you'll be able to leave tonight just as you hoped. Give me two hours and I'll have you and your guest safely on your way."

"You'd better be sure of it this time. I'll not take kindly to false hope," Viviana replied before she stormed out. [/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Somewhere in Westhollow, green, solid"]
Darin crashed through the door of the empty storehouse behind Wymond with Catriona in tow. The barrier, while a help outside the city did not hold as long as they had hoped, and having to settle in the storehouse for cover was all they could do. As soon as the last person entered And the door clicked shut, Darin pulled Catriona into another tight embrace, "I thought I'd..." he dared not finish the sentence.

His eyes bounced between everyone there. There were several new faces, all of people that were willing to jump into action even at risk for themselves to help a stranger. It was nice to know there were kind people in a city filled with murders. Turning to Wymond and Ardryan, Darin finally broke the silence, "We need to leave. The three of you are in danger and the longer we're here the greater the risk of discovery and capture. We know exactly what the Untamed intends for us should they discover us."

He pulled back from Catriona and offered her a gentle smile before turning to the others, "I don't know what brought you to this gods forsaken town, but because of your kindness toward strangers, I feel compelled to warn you: leave. Westhollow is filled with cutthroats, rapists and monsters. Even the 'innocent' are not quite so. Forget your task here and leave."[/fieldbox]

"Forgettin' our task an' leavin' ain't possible," Shireen replied, shaking her head. They had managed to find a safe place for the time being, which was good because frankly she was worried about Alana and how she might be faring. A frown creased her forehead as she finally pushed her sword back into its scabbard, letting out a breath of discontent. From the looks of the three men and woman, they had been through trying times. If they wished to run from whatever was chasing them, she couldn't hold them to fault. The Untamed were wretched and dangerous, and it seemed they had a vendetta.

"We're here all the way from Norcrest," she continued, crossing her arms over her chest, cyan eyes looking to the rest of her group, who whilst still mostly strangers were far more familiar to her than the other four. They were all worse for wear as well- the last two days hadn't been easy on anyone, and Shireen wasn't foolish enough to think things would be getting back to normal any time soon, if ever.

Her gaze returned to the man who had spoken to them. "Believe me, Westhollow ain't the first place on my list o' places I wanna visit, I've been here 'fore. We're here 'cause the Oracle's missin'... no, that ain't right. She was kidnapped. We ain't no heroes, but we- or at least me, I'mma do what I can t'find her. We got info she might be 'round these parts." She shrugged her shoulders before motioning toward Alana, Atum and Sindri. "Magic's real, an all've us've seen it now. I'm bettin' y'all had nightmares like us too. Which're only gonna get worse if we don' go 'round doin' anythin' 'bout it."

Saying her piece, Shireen fell silent. She appreciated the warning, but it was in vain in her opinion​

Last edited:
Rayela felt her heart collapse in her chest. They'd finally made it out of sight from… whoever those men were. She grimaced at the couple near the entrance, sending reassuring glances and touches; they'd almost lost each other, but seeing them together hurt. Rayela didn't say anything to the man or the others after the man with blonde hair spoke.

Shireen seemed to handle that just fine. Rayela cautiously removed herself from Amal's saddle. Henry had stirred and woken on the way to the dusty building, much to her dismay, and she let him off the horse. Now that he was awake and Cassey was okay for the most part, it was safe to assume that everything would be somewhat better, or at least she hoped.

The ride had been terrifying and when Shireen mentioned magic, she glanced up as the woman gestured towards Alana, Atum, and Sindri. The strange shadow blanket had been no small feat. Alana looked… awful, for lack of a better word. Black veins crawling on her face, hands, her whole body. What was that? Rayela turned away and tried to shake her nerves.

When had Atum shown magic? How did Shireen know? Rayela felt herself being thrown for a loop. She didn't know any of these people, she didn't know anything about what was going on, and it all felt as if they were keeping secrets. She wasn't being made aware. Rayela pressed her lips together and looked over at Atum.

"I haven't fed Amal yet. He's hungry from all this hard work. Thank you for letting me ride him."

Exhausted, Rayela went over to a wooden box and leaned up against it. She closed her eyes and folded her arms over her stomach and sighed. Perhaps a breather was all she needed, just one small nap.

"You're welcome. Give me some time and I'll see if I can do something about that foot." Atum responded to Rayela. Now he knew how to use his magic, and he even knew the extent of it. He was too tired to do it now. He needed a little bit of a break before he was able to fix Rayela's foot. He walked Amal over to a wall where several bags of grain were piled up and took a seat, leaning against them. Once he did it was like his body had fallen asleep. Moving it became almost impossible, not that he really tried.

"I'll have to agree with Shireen." Atum sighed once he was comfortable, using sacks of grain as a cushion of sorts. "We can't forget our mission, no matter how dangerous this town might be." It was his first time in Westhollow but as far as he was concerned, it wasn't anything he wasn't already used to. There was always a place like this, no matter what country you were in. "Those nightmares...they were terrible...and the only way to stop them is to return the princess. The risk is well worth it."

"I think we'll be fine, as long as we stay vigilant and watch out for each other. Especially with this magic." He'd saw firsthand what Darin could do, and everyone saw Alana in action. The magic alone increased their ability to complete the job exponentially. "But...the more people that help us, the better."

He'd said his piece and he waited to hear what everyone else had to say. The Tumaran cut open one of the sacks of grain, scooping a handful and holding it out to Amal, who ate the grain with no hesitation. "Eat up, my friend. You'll need your energy."

They all would, and sooner rather than later. They couldn't stay here for long.​

zTHyLJh.png
Her arms wrapped around Darin as he pulled her close, but she couldn't bring herself to speak, too afraid that to do so would shatter the moment and shake her back into a panic. His words were truncated, but she didn't need him to finish. She had felt it, too. And she would have done anything in that moment, even given herself up to the Untamed to keep them from getting to the others... to Darin.

They were safe, for now, but she didn't feel safe... She wouldn't until they had put Westhollow and all of this behind them. The thirst for revenge had waxed cold long ago, and all Catriona wanted was to find a place to lie low and forget it all. Forget the nightmares, forget about what had happened to her family, what had happened in the city. Too much was lost, and she just wanted peace and quiet...

It was a dream, however, and one that couldn't be. Not while there was so much still to overcome. And this group was all a reminder of that, deeply rooted in her mind. She watched them as they spoke - the dark haired woman and then the man... She recalled the festival, the strange uneasiness she had felt when the pair of guards had conversed on the dais... The king had not shown, and then Darin's sister...

The Oracle had awoken, and if that were true, it would explain quite a bit more than they had understood before. Reaching up, she touched her shoulder where Darin had healed the scratches from whatever had attacked her in her sleep. Despite his gift, he could not fully heal the mental anguish... and somehow she knew it would only get worse.

"My name is Catriona... I came here on a mission to avenge my family. They were murdered in my home by a band of raiders called the Untamed." Looking to Darin, to Ardryan and Wymond, Catriona shook her head, "But what's been happening, it is so much greater than that. Darin..." Her eyes turned up to him, wide with concern, "I want nothing more than to escape it all, but these people are right."

Pulling up her hair, she turned around to reveal the tattered shoulder of her pilfered dress, jagged marks, the fabric stained rusty red, "In the caverns where we were hiding, I fell asleep. In my dream, I was attacked by a creature in the darkness. When I woke... the injuries I had sustained there... somehow came to be in the waking world. Darin healed them. He... he did the same earlier tonight, when I nearly died at the hands of the men who just attacked us. And you've seen it, too. You've experienced it. The magic." Turning back, she nodded, "Whatever is happening, it will only get worse. And we must find a way to stop it... before it's too late for any of us."

TAGS || @...everyone?, @DarinValore