The Tales of Agganoth

While Darin and Catriona were out training Wymond shared some small talk with Ardryan. He told him a bit about his background, his younger years growing up with a ruthless family and a father that was never impressed. But after the conversation died off, he laid down in the carriage, with the sun beaming on his face and dozed off to get the first bit of peace in the last twenty four hours. He awoke to Darin and Catriona, returning safe and sound, luckily enough. He knew exactly who they were dealing with. After hearing the about their ruthlessness and tattoos he got the hint. The Untamed. It really was The Untamed. The whole idea made his stomach knot up, and he clenched his jaw.

He left that life behind and somehow, someway, after all these years it came back to haunt him. With a group of strangers better yet. Strangers that seemed to piss them off so much they would come out to hunt them even if it meant traveling through all of Agganoth. Yet he couldn't tell them. The girl, Catriona had so much motivation, and such a big heart. Truly fearless. Yet desperate, she would, without a doubt, try to squeeze every bit of knowledge out of him. With the help of Ardryan, a former soldier and Darin a loyal man. He wouldn't want them to turn on him for his past, especially when he was on their side now.

So he said not a word unless spoken to. Being the most silent member of the ragtag posse, and the only one without an actual goal. But then it hit him. What would happen to him once Catriona gets her vengeance? Everyone goes back to their homes. But Wymond had no where now. He wouldn't return to the Inn, he couldn't. There was nothing left behind except for pain, sorrow, and guilt. He also couldn't rejoin any group after what he was about to do to the Untamed.

Before he found the answer to his question, they stopped in a dark alley as a scene unfolded before them. A lady begging for the freedom of brother, declaring he was innocent. He witnessed her being kicked down, yet didn't flinch. Deep inside he felt bad for the lady, but when justice must be served and the majority agrees, no matter how wrong or right they may be, it must happen. Darin told her not to react, yet the confident girl didn't listen. She was off before anyone could stop her, shooting an arrow nearby and threatening Urick.

"Who the hell are you?" Urick shouted, his voice a little shaken yet his fist hung in the air with rage.

Wymond hopped down from the carriage and stood besides her. He raised his sword a bit, enough so the man could see the steel, "I'd listen to her if you know what's best for you," He looked at Catriona, and his eyes showed a hint of disappointment. Even more unwanted attention, to help one lady. He turned back to the man, "Well go on then, get a move on."

The walk to the Servant's exit was slow, but Atum didn't mind it. It gave him time to think and it was easier on them all, especially the injured. Rayela could sit on the horse just fine but Shireen would likely end up dizzier, so the slower pace was nothing but beneficial for the moment.

As they reached the Servant's quarters he sighed mentally as he thought about their goal. What would they hope to find? He doubted that they would find anything meaningful left behind. If someone was going to kidnap the princess they'd make sure to leave as little behind as they could. But of course, no one could cover their tracks completely, it was impossible. They had to have been seen by someone else, especially if a drunk noticed them. All they had to do was talk to the right person, whomever that may be.

Once they arrived at their destination Atum lead Amal to a sturdy surface he could tether the horse to, something that wouldn't be easily broken, and he tied him down tight. Once his horse was secured he looked to the group, namely Sindri, Alana, and Isha'a. "We'll have to look around, but the bulk of our information will probably come from any of the servants, so make sure you ask them. If anyone saw something, it had to be one of them."

He then turned his attention to Rayela and Shireen. "You should take a seat while we search. You can't walk on that foot, and you shouldn't walk too much more, Shireen. You should take it easy, at least for a few minutes." She was kind enough to check on him despite them being strangers, so he was admittedly more concerned for her than he would be otherwise, but he did not wish to baby her. She was the one most ready to get to work after all.

Shireen & Rayela
collab between @Greenie & @Kat

There was no doubt in Rayela's mind that she'd done this to herself. She could not travel by foot through the servant's quarters, as much as her own curiosity sought to betray logic. She'd ran far from this man who was now treating her better than any Tumaran she'd ever met. A part of her wondered what had changed and if he was ever really subject to the true horror that made men warriors in Tumar. She scratched her head and delicately got down from Amal to allow him some time to rest while Atum and the others explored the castle.

They disappeared into the shadows and Rayela glanced over at Shireen, the lady she'd dubbed pirate girl, and sat down on the ground, back up against the stone ledge. She fidgeted, the silence beginning to tense her shoulders.

"I'm sorry about earlier," she bursted out. "I snapped and pushed all my frustrations onto you."

Shireen looked to the other girl before settling down on the ground herself, stretching out her legs. Truth be told, she should have taken a pause earlier on, so when Atum mentioned she should rest, she wasn't about to deny it.

"It's fine," she replied to Rayela, giving a small shake of her head. "Not been an easy time since yesterday… an' today's got its own troubles." She reached to her water canteen, pulling out the stopper and taking a much needed drink of the lukewarm water. Once she finished, she held it out for her companion. "Sorry 'bout your foot."

Rayela's fingers dug into her ragged dress. She cautiously took the offered canteen and drank some of the water, her taste buds disapproving of the metallic taste. She swallowed regardless, and handed the water back to Shireen. Rayela's cheeks warmed at the mention of her foot; she'd tried to brush the whole incident off as minor, but that wasn't the case with the group.

'The deep cut will take weeks to heal,' Jacobus had informed her. 'Might as well stay off yer foot as often as possible during that time.'

"Everyone knows I did it to myself," she shrugged. "It's not a big deal."

Shireen put the stopper back into the canteen and put it away. "Not a big deal eh?" Well, she wasn't going to disagree aloud, not really wishing to antagonize the Tumaran woman, but she did think it was a bigger deal that not. They were lucky they had a horse available.

"In any case..." she shrugged a shoulder before offering a friendly smile to Rayela. "Nothin' wrong with feelin' sympathy, right?" She tilted her head from one side to the other, testing to see if any of the previous heaviness was gone.

A small smile graced the dancer's lips for a brief moment.

"What's your take on all this?" Shireen asked after a moment, motioning a bandaged hand toward the palace. She figured if they were sitting out there, she might as well make conversation.

Rayela's eyes followed Shireen's gesture. The palace was a place full of beautiful architecture and story; she longed to explore the castle walls and find secret entrances. When Rayela thought about the seven seals being broken and rescuing the princess, she couldn't truly understand why the need to save the princess was so great. She could say she did and know why, but her mind and emotion couldn't truly comprehend the deeper meaning behind the group's mission. She could not empathize with the others and their suffering; a trait she lacked severely in.

"I… I haven't really thought too hard about it," Rayela offered in an awkward tone, trying to figure out a way to share her thoughts without sounding like she didn't care, but she guessed she really did care too much about herself to even remotely think about the others who may have been suffering far worse than she. Rayela bit her lip. "It's awful the princess was taken of course, but I guess it hasn't really been something that's particularly crossed my mind so far or affected me as much as it has the others."

"I get that..." Shireen looked to the ground, concentrating on the dust and dirt settled next to her boots. "T'be honest with ya, I pro'ly woulda been the same..." Her voice trailed to a pause as she thought about why she was so passionate to get a move on. If she stayed still in one place, with no other thoughts to keep her mind distracted, she would only think back to the truth of her dream.

"But I cannae." She took a deep breath, her eyes sharpening, glaring at a pebble that she nudged with her boot. "There's nothin' left for me of my old life... an' this is a pressin' problem I can help with... maybe. I wanna try at least. We all had nightmares… an' what Sindri said… if all that happens… ain't no ship far 'nough to take us away from real, livin' nightmares." Besides, nothing could change the past, but if she could keep things from getting worse, that was worth it... right?

Rayela rubbed her shoulders in an attempt to comfort herself. "I don't think I could help, even if I tried. I've already caused enough distress and… if what that drunk said was true, some evil men took the princess, and that probably means that you'd have to fight to get her back. I can't even lift a knife and stab someone to save my own life, so how could I save another? I'd be dead before the first fight was over or I'd run away like a coward and be on my own again."

She sighed and stretched her legs out, looking up towards the eerie sky.

"So, naturally, the only reason I see for coming along is to keep me far away from my old home and make sure it stays like that. I'd rather keep my nightmares, be afraid of those, than get caught by my husband. I know it's selfish to think that though. There's many out there who are suffering just as much as I am, but I feel numb when I think about it and try to understand it."

Shireen looked to Rayela as she talked. It was hard for her to understand where the woman was coming from, having grown up with people who did things not just for themselves but for the betterment of the entire crew. Maybe this was why her mother had run away from Tumar? Could it be her own mother had been something like this?

She felt it wasn't her place to judge, but it was hard not to, especially when she thought of all the people who had died yesterday, and here they were alive and well, aside from their injuries. Humans were people they could deal with, especially if they stuck together. But creatures that only lived in ones deepest, darkest nightmares? It was hard to think of. Maybe that's why it seemed surreal to Rayela... but for Shireen it was simply a purpose filling in a void.

"Maybe it's selfish, maybe it ain't, not like that's gonna make a difference." She shrugged once more; it seemed to her she was doing a whole lot of that. "Liftin' a knife an' stabbin' a person ain' hard though, if y'wanna learn. It's the same as learnin' to to do anythin'- gotta have to wanna first." She looked away from the ground to Rayela. "Whatever you're runnin' from ain't none of my business... but wouldn' it be nicer if you didn' have to run at all?"

Rayela pulled her legs up to her chest and sighed, "Yes, that would be nice, truthfully. I would feel much more at peace, in a way, I suppose. It depends."

If she was able to stand up to her husband, perhaps things would be different. She narrowed her eyes at Shireen's statement about utilizing a knife.

"Are you really suggesting that women can learn weapons?"

The idea was foreign to her. Not once had she even been allowed to touch any sort of weapon; the closest thing to a weapon was the kitchen knife for cutting fruits, meat, and vegetables. It was not anything she'd learn how to wield in the long run.

Now it was Shireen's turn to look at Rayela with surprise, eyebrow raised. "The sword at my side ain' just there t'look pretty, y'know." She reached to her waist, patting the hilt of the sword. "If I didn' know how t'use this, I woulda been dead long time ago. Women, men, don' matter what's between your legs." She scoffed before continuing. "'Course a woman can learn weapons."

Rayela's curiosity peaked, eyes falling down on the sword at Shireen's side as the pirate lady patted the hilt. It seemed such a heavy and dangerous weapon to wave around; how Shireen managed to wield it was beyond her understanding.

"How long have you known how to use it?" she inquired. "What did you learn while being taught the sword?"

"Since I was a wee lass," Shireen replied, a small smile coming to her lips as she thought of both her father and Jarus. "I was pro'ly… this high?" She raised her hand up to how tall an average five year old child would stand. "Lived on a ship m'whole life so… well, y'gotta be prepared, just in case."

Her hand was still on the hilt; she gingerly wrapped her fingers around it and pulled it out of its scabbard, laying the blade over her upper legs, in plain view for the Tumaran woman to see. "S'long as a person knows how t'use it, ain't nothin' scary 'bout a sword."

"It looks like it's well taken care of. You're lucky you got the opportunity to learn how to wield one," Rayela said, staring at the sword laid across Shireen's legs. It was a beautiful thing; silver and sharp, intricate and deadly. She could only imagine the lengths gone to be proficient, especially at such a young age. "Women in Tumar don't get the privilege of learning such skill."

"Hm…" Shireen had never thought of it as luck, rather as a necessity. No matter where a person lived in the world, being able to defend oneself was a priority. "Well, ain' like you're there anymore. You should learn now that you gotta chance. Not like you're old an' frail."

It was uncomfortable for Rayela to think about learning how to wield a sword. She bit her lip, wondering if Shireen or someone else would take her as an apprentice of sorts, especially after what had happened this morning. "I understand. We'll see what happens, I suppose. If I'm to go with everyone, it will be best for everyone to understand how to wield a weapon."

"Maybe so," Shireen agreed. "If not a weapon, even learnin' how t'use your hands an' feet to your 'vantage is a big deal. Even learnin' hot t'throw a rock properly can help… the whole world's there for you t'use it." Saying that, she quieted, carefully putting her sword away. Before either of them could do anything, they needed their wounds to heal.

Letting out a sigh, she hoped the others were faring well in their quest.

zTHyLJh.png
For the countless time since their arrival, Ardryan regretted ever being foolish enough to partake in this doomed endeavour. He would have screamed, perhaps even sobbed or begged, if it would have steered Catriona from her disastrous tendency to follow the worst possible path. Of course, it was too late.

"If you had only taken a moment to communicate your intention, we...I would have taken care of it. A brawl'd draw almost no attention in a town like this compared to what you're doing." said Ardryan, resigned, disheartened.

"They know your face, too." Catriona hissed, with the slightest edge of irritation, "And it's not as if we had time to chat about the best course of action. But if it makes you feel better, you can lecture me later on whose life is worth saving and when. Just help her up and away from him…"

"Now is not the time for bickering," Wymond glanced back at the two and over at the man once more as he took a step forward. "Away from the her, and nobody gets hurt." His hand rested upon the hilt of the sword as his eyes glanced from one man to the other. He was unsure of their moves, what they carried or who they were associated with. This was a careless act indeed, orchestrated by Catriona to save someone they knew little to nothing about. Yet he couldn't let her act alone, that would be wrong of him.

He unsheathed the sword, "We will not ask again."

The man stood there in thought a moment before he sucked his teeth and took a step back, his hands raised in the air, "You don't know who you're messin' with," the torchlight revealing a familiar tattoo on his arm, "You won't get away with this. Shoulda just let me have her."

Darin frowned as he stepped forward, the bowstring groaning as he drew it taut, "She isn't yours to have," when the second man took a step forward instead of back, Darin turned his bow to him, "Don't."

"Take her then," said the first, "But don't think any of you are getting out of Westhollow alive. We're everywhere," he growled as he backed up more, dragging his friend with him, "This ain't over."

"Creative with their threats, aren't they?" said Ardryan. "Do you think they rehearse together?" Stepping forward, he wordlessly offered his hand to the young girl still on the ground.

Eyes narrowing after the men, Catriona shook her head, "They were right about one thing, at least… It's not over." Turning to Darin, she frowned, "Can we make it, still…?"

Darin shook his head, his eyes fixed on the men, "Not with these two alive. They'd bring the Untamed here. Even if we made it in, we wouldn't get out."

"Please," the woman started to beg as she took Ardryan's hand, "There's still time to save him!"

Swearing, Rion turned away, pinching the bridge of her nose. She'd known from the start what her quest for vengeance would come to, but somehow the thought was always easier than the practice. Doing it… killing a man, even one as foul as those who had attacked the woman, it brought her no sense of relief to consider it.

Instead, turning to the woman Ardryan had helped upright, she frowned, "You… you were at the tavern earlier. I saw you. Save who?"

"Her brother, I'd assume." Ardryan's tone was even, unimpressed. "Your decision, Catriona. Her brother, or the men you've been chasing."

"Tsk," Wymond shook his head, as he put his sword back into his scabbard. He knew how men like this worked, living off of vengeance and the need to want something and obtain it in the dirtiest of means. "A word, just to keep in mind," He looked over at Catriona, "keep bringing attention onto us by those men, and we'll be dead by midnight. I'm in agreeance with Ardryan, before we make anymore rash moves we have to think these things through."

He turned over to the woman they just finished saving, and glanced her up and down, before softening up a bit. "What's your name girl, and why is your brother being blamed for his actions?" He asked, shifting the cuirass to rest securely upon his chest, "It's okay, you're safe now. I promise."

Rion's jaw tightened as once again, her companions assailed her in criticism. Ironic, that in the same breath she was also asked to make a decision, their direction dependant, it seemed, on her alone, when every direction taken thus far had been, apparently, to their detriment… Ironic and infuriating… and not just the least bit confusing. Her chest tensed at the thought of losing what little ground they had managed to make up, at knowing the chances of picking up the trail a third time was laughable… but there seemed to be so little hope for the woman, otherwise, and while her goals were apparent from the start, Catriona wasn't without a heart.

The simple fact was, she didn't want to be responsible for the decision… not alone, and certainly not with the impression that the consequences either way would be left on her neck. She had not asked for company on her quest, but thus far, they had been more cross than crux, heaping on her their own sense of guilt and regret. And she was tired…

Tears burdened her vision as she looked away from the others, in the direction the men had gone, shaking her head. She had no answers, no ideas… What chances they had of completing her own mission were gone, but she wouldn't… couldn't be responsible for dooming the woman and her brother, too.

"They are gonna kill him," she turned to Wymond, "T-they think he set fire to the town, along with Reya and Bree. They are set to be executed in the next few hours for something they did not do."

Letting out an audible sigh, Darin relaxed the bow and glanced to Catriona. Based on the conversation they had shared earlier, he knew her to be soft at heart despite the vengeful, hard exterior. She cared about people and as much as it pained her, she'd pass on her vengeance to help this woman, but such a sacrifice would most likely mean losing her opportunity all together.

"Please, you have to help him!" The woman cried out as she fell to Wymond's feet. With eyes red from crying, she peered up to the man, "He's all I have left."

He wanted to do both. Darin wanted to help save the woman's brother, but he had made a promise and he would keep this one, "There's still time, Catriona. If we hurry, we can still do what you came here to do. You cannot do both; help this woman and accomplish your task," turning to the other two men, he continued, "Perhaps they would be willing to help her while we see to your mission. It's the only way."

"Rise." said Ardryan, gently pulling the girl to her feet. "Begging is unbecoming of a Drakan. I will help your brother. My contribution is not needed here anyway." He had meant it as a light jest toward Catriona, but it sounded bitter and irritated to his ears.

Blinking, Catriona looked between Darin and Ardryan, from Wymond to the woman… She was the daughter of a merchant. To date, her greatest fear had been an overturned cart and frost on the vines. Now… now there was simply too much all at once and the agony of choice was that one could be wrong, either way.

But a decision had to be made and Ardryan, at least, seemed content with the option given him… All the same, the less people she put in danger personally, the better. It was unnerving even that Darin was coming along, but she could not do it alone.

Sliding her bow across her shoulder, Catriona nodded, "Go. Help her… And may you be fortunate. There's a fork in the road we passed on our way to the gate. We will meet there in the morning… If we make it through the night. We should go, Darin…"

Wymond glanced at Catriona, discerning the tears in her eyes and feeling a sharp guilt in his gut. He caused the girl harm, even if he hadn't mean to. But he also felt a sense of sorrow for the woman that cried at his feet. Had it been his own daughter being put to death, he'd set his life on the line. Finally looking at Ardryan he sighed, "As much as we want to help him, imagine all the attention that would come upon us. Not only this vile gang, but soldiers. And you and I both know we won't be able to get out of this without any bloodshed. At the minimum we'll get out of there with a bounty over our heads."

He paused and glared at Darin, then to Catriona. "And for that very reason...I can not let you go alone." He stepped besides Ardryan, "I lived a long life, if I have to die saving an innocent man, let it be the last right thing I have to do."

"As for you two, take care, and fight with caution. Please. Wait for us by the town exit south of here, there should be a stone ridge and if I remember correctly a cave on the opposite end of it. If we're not there by sunrise...then good luck on your future endeavors." He said it with a chuckle, but there was a hint of sterness in his voice. It wasn't all a jest.

It was settled then. Darin and Catriona would keep to their task while Ardryan and Wymond would tend to the girl and her brother. He almost regretted parting ways with Wymond, the man who would not be in this position had Sarah not killed his daughter. Still, it was the only way that both tasks could be completed, "And you," he returned to the man before looking to Catriona, "Time to go," he said as he shouldered his bow.

Nodding in return, Catriona turned away, but not without a nod to the others, "Good luck… And be safe."

As they left the others behind, Catriona fell quiet for a good while, weighed down not only by the idea of what lay ahead of them, but behind. On one hand, Wymond and Ardryan had insisted upon coming along… but it was hard not to think that if she hadn't run into them, their lives might be headed in a very different direction. There was no telling what would happen with the woman's brother, and whether or not they would find their way back together or not. And that left her with Darin.

Darin who had already risked his life once and was once more laying it on the line for a near stranger… three people, the course of their fates resting on so much. It was a heavy burden for anyone to bear. Her father would tell her that all men were responsible for their own choices… yet Catriona could not help the feeling she had doomed them all.

As they neared the hideout, her silence was broken as she reached out to catch Darin by the arm, pulling him to a halt, "I have an idea… A way to get us inside. It's risky, but if we're careful, it could work."

They had wasted precious time saving that woman from her attackers. Not that such a gesture wasn't worth it, but when one had a timed goal, every distraction could serve to be the one that crippled the mission. However, Darin wasn't angry, or annoyed. He was glad that Catriona's vengeance had not yet warped her into a twisted memorial of the woman he thought she might be. Still, he found himself moving more swift than he would have preferred. Maybe if they got there fast enough, they would still be in the window of time he had estimated.

When Catriona stopped him, Darin looked at her with puzzled eyes thinking that perhaps she had changed her mind now that they were closer to her goal, but that was not her intention. He had thought that they would have to distract some guards, incapacitate some others, or worse kill some to get inside. If she had a better plan, he was all ears, "Go on," he said as he took her gently by the elbow and stepped into cover to avoid wondering eyes. The streets had emptied but there were still those who cared not for the coming executions and served as sentries for the Untamed.

When they had moved out of the street, Catriona dug inside of her satchel for a moment until she came away with a quill and ink that was generally used to sign order sheets her father had kept for records. Dipping the quill, she took hold of his arm again, turning his wrist towards her, "We…" She started, as the quill tip ran across the surface of his wrist, "Are going to walk straight through the front doors…"

Blowing on the ink to dry it, she stepped back with a satisfied nod, before showing him the symbol she had drawn… A near replica of the tattoo they had come across so many times that day, "You'll need to pull it off. Can you do that?"

His eyes followed the point of the quill as it slid along his wrist. He couldn't help but be impressed with the final product. While she didn't excel at archery as much as he did, her skills with a quill were far superior to his, "That's...wow," he complimented before turning to the brothel at the end of the street, "I can do my best," he promised, "Do you have any rope in that bag? And I'll need your bow and quiver."

Shaking her head, she considered for a moment, before crouching down. Gingerly, taking an arrow from her quiver she used it to cut from a long scrap of frayed hem from her skirt, holding it out to him before handing over the bow and quiver, as well as the knife from her belt. With a breath, she extended her arms, wrists locked together, "Make it tight. They would."

"I don't like this," he stated even as he took the cloth and began to wrap it around her wrists. One loop, two loops, "I'm sorry," he spoke just before he yanked it tight. After testing it, he lifted the corner of his shirt, revealing a dagger at his waist, "Stay on this side, and if we run into trouble, take it. You may not be able to draw an arrow, but you can still bury that blade into someone," he locked eyes with her a moment, "only if the need arises."

Glancing over his shoulder, Darin spoke, "Ready?"

Flinching, she looked up from the binding, nodding, "...I know this is hard, Darin… but if they think for one moment you aren't who you say you are, they will kill us both. It's okay. I know you don't mean it… but you cannot show me any grace. These men… they are animals. With no respect, no honor. Do you understand?"

Swallowing hard, Darin finally nodded, "I know the stakes, and it does comfort me that you know I'll mean none of it," This was going to be one of the hardest things he had ever done in his life. Never had he treated a woman with the level of degradation that these men did and now he had to pretend to do so, "Need to be convincing," he mumbled before he flashed an apologetic look toward her and grasped the cloth around her wrist, "Alright, let's go."

"Wait…" Pausing, she considered his words, sucking in an uneasy breath, "Needs to be convincing… and these men are furious with me. I humiliated one of their own… interrogated him and left him disabled in a storage closet. A bruise won't suffice. Hit me."

"Do what?!" Darin's brow narrowed and it took him only a second before he shook his head, "I'm not doing that, Catriona. I'm not hitting you."

"Then they will see through you and we're both dead." Reaching out with her hands, she clutched his, "You bring me in like this and they'll know. And do you think they will be as kind or considerate?"

Releasing him, she stepped back, "Please…?"

"Catriona," he shook his head, turning away from her he washed his hands over his face and sighed, "I have never struck a woman," he spoke with his back to her. His eyes studied the brothel, watching the pattern of the thugs. They were critical of everyone who drew near to the building, watching and waiting for someone to approach that did not belong, "Fine," he turned back toward her. Darin raised his fist, dropped it, then lifted it again. Fighting against his entire being, Darin finally swung, immediately regretting it as soon as his fist hit her soft flesh.

With her hands tied, and no way to brace or block, Catriona took the hit hard and stumbled back with a small cry. Raising the backs of her hands, she grimaced, "That should do it…" Looking up at him, running the tip of her tongue across the split in her lip, she nodded, holding out her arms, "Let's go."

Shaking his head, Darin flexed his hand and clenched his jaw before taking her by the makeshift bindings, "I can't believe I just did that," he muttered to himself before dragging her into the open street.

"You didn't…" She murmured, "They did." Out in the open, she eyed the brothel ahead of them and fear washed across her expression, "...No grace." She whispered as she moved closer to the side his dagger rested on.

Her reminder to show no grace did not ease Darin's racing heart. Instead, he found himself even more nervous. What if was too gentle, or worse, what if he was too rough. He needed to find a medium and for someone who had never treated a woman wrongly, such a thought made his stomach twist in knots. This was not going to be as easy as he had hoped.

The closer they drew to the brothel, the rougher, and louder he became. With a hard tug on the cloth, he demanded, "Keep up, woman."

It didn't take long for the men to notice him and as he approached, they barred his path, "What's this?"

Darin held the bindings in such away that the tattoo was visible, "I found this one sneaking about. I'm pretty sure she's the one that injured Cadan," tugging hard, he jerked her in front of him so the men could inspect her.

Taking a step forward, a rough hand caught her by the chin and turned her face one way and then the other. As Catriona tried to wrench free, his grip tightened, "She matches the description," he smirked, "her lip?" He asked for an explanation.

"She tried cryin' our, so I hit her. She's been silent ever since," Darin replied, "Though she's tried to scurry off a time or two."

"She won't be silent long," the second man grinned, "Cadan's got plans for 'er."

"I can't wait," The first spoke as he reached out for the bindings, "We'll take her now."

"No," Darin pulled her back suddenly. The two men looked at each other and then to him, "I-I found her," he cleared his throat as he tried to save himself, "I should be the one to deliver her to Cadan. I won't let anyone else do it."

"Boy," the first one spoke as he swelled to make himself look more imposing. He took a step toward Darin when the other man stopped him.

"Let 'im. Since she and her friend cut Cadan's tongue, hearing him mumble on gives me the shivers anyway," as if summoned by his words, a wave washed over the man causing him to shiver visibly, "That was low," he spoke to Catriona, "And he's right," he tossed a thumb in his friend's direction, "Cadan has quite the punishment planned for ya."

"You think he scares me? Just had to bat my eyes to get him into that room. Someone that stupid deserves what he got… and you'll get the same." Catriona hissed, looking over her shoulder to Darin.

"Shut up, woman," the first man spit as he raised a fist to strike her, but Darin beat him to it, swinging an opened hand, he slapped her across the face and jerked hard on the bindings, throwing her to the ground.

With an involuntary yelp, Catriona hit the ground hard, pain splintering from wrist to shoulder with the jarring velocity. Tears stung her eyes, but she blinked furiously, digging her hands into the dirt. She said no more… she didn't dare to. The display had to be enough to convince them of Darin's position…

Every part of him wanted to sweep her up and carry her to safety, away from all of this mess, this ugliness. He wanted to apologize and could feel the words forming in his throat. Swallowing them down, he reached down, snatched up the bindings and pulled her to her feet, "I'm taking her to Cadan," Darin said with finality.

With a nod, the men stepped aside, "Fine, but let him know we still want our turn with her."

Darin clenched his jaw before nodding. These men were monsters and he felt dirty just pretending to be one, "I'll tell him," he said as he pulled her in tow behind him and into the brothel.

TAGS || Collab with Bossman @Jays, @DarinValore, @Ultra Paradox

Last edited:
[fieldbox="The Untamed's Brothel, Green, Solid"]

The brothel was bustling with business as Darin and Catriona stepped through the door. Women, half-dressed, led entranced men into rooms where the men would shower them with coins for just a moment of pleasure. Men sporting the mark of the Untamed were posted in different areas, some distracted by what was happening while others stood ever vigilant of their task.

"We're in," Darin muttered, feeling more nervous now than he had outside. Looking around, he found a small room void of any occupants and escorted her into it and closed the door, "What are we looking for?" He asked.

The group at the Raven's Cry had been surprisingly large. But somehow, Catriona had still failed to anticipate the true size of what they were dealing with. Tattooed men stood everywhere. Cadan had warned that they had no clue what they were dealing with…

Looking to Darin, shaking her head, she seemed dazed, lost… "I… I don't know. Darin. I don't… know."

"You don't know?" He questioned her, "We're standing in a brothel surrounded by people who are hunting you and you don't know what we're looking for?" Darin ran his hand through his hair and a frustrated escaped his lips, "Okay," he calmed and collected himself, "Why are we here?" He asked her hoping that it might provoke some thought that would lead to a goal.

"I never thought… I never thought I would get this far. Or that there would be so many. How…" Breathing in, looking to Darin, she shook her head, "How does a group this size exist and I've never heard of them. And why my family?"

Swallowing, the backs of her hands resting against her cheek, she turned away, "The men you followed… they were responsible for what happened to my family, they were involved. We need to find them." Looking back to him, she nodded, "That's why we're here. For those men."

"Good. A goal I can work with. I'm good at finding things," he said with a nod, "When we step back out there, I'll be looking for Cadan. If you see the men before I do, let me know without letting them know," he flashed a quick smile when his eyes fell on her once again, "Sorry again."

"You've nothing to apologize for, Darin. If you hadn't done what you did, we might never have made it inside together." Lowering her hands, she nodded to the door, "I'm ready…"

Taking her by the bindings, Darin exited through the door and back into the bustling brothel. He weaved through the people eating and drinking on the bottom floor before escorting Catriona up the stairs to the open second floor. He had to step aside a few times as drunken men were being led by scantily clad women. He couldn't help the disappointment and disgust that flooded his heart. If his sister had….No, he couldn't think of that.

"Ordy!"

The name caused Darin to stop, his head swiveling in the direction of the voice. Out of a room across the opening stepped Telly. Darin cursed under his breath. His fingers instinctively wrapped around his bowstring ready to pull it from his shoulder in a instant.

"Wha?" Ordy stepped out from behind the kitchen downstairs and looked up at his friend.

"Try 'er! I'mma get a drink and stuff," Telly replied.

"He's drunk," Darin muttered to Catriona, "Guess I shouldn't be surprised."

Telly started down the hall, using the railing to steady himself with one hand while the other worked to tighten his belt. Darin tugged on Catriona and jerked his head toward Telly, "Come on."

Catriona grimaced in disgust as the man they were searching for emerged into the hall. His drunken state seemed not to have changed much from earlier that day, but she supposed it was for their benefit he was so inebriated.

He stumbled along the hall and to the stairs, and as he began a slow, uneasy descent, she half feared he might stupidly trip and kill himself… As they followed after him at a distance, she half hoped he would. But somehow he made it to the lower floor and there, grabbed a rather hefty bottle of dark liquor from the counter, then staggered towards a back exit.

Looking to Darin, she nodded to the door, "Now's our chance…"

"Right," he returned as he followed Telly out and into the back alley. The man was already relieving himself against the wall when Darin rushed him and pinned his head against the wall, standing in a manner that wouldn't allow him to look at them. Telly tried to resist, to push off the wall, but in his drunken state he just couldn't so he surrendered.

"Wha' you want?" he asked, grunting as his face rubbed uncomfortably against the wood.

Turning to Catriona, Darin nodded to her, "Ask your questions."

Her eyes narrowed at the man, her fingers itching for a blade to grasp… To burrow into the man's ribcage. Her hands balled tightly in their binds, as her breath caught, "Two weeks ago, you and your idiot friends attacked a vineyard and murdered the people living there, before burning it to the ground. I want to know who ordered it done… and why?"

"Two weeks ago?" Telly tried to lift his head but Darin slammed it against the wood, "Ow, man!"

"Answer her question," Darin replied.

"The Eldrassiran vinyard. I 'member," Telly grunted and slapped his hand against the wood, "You're hurtin' me face!" he protested. When Darin didn't lighten up, he decided to answer, "We was just passin' by. We was hungry and the vineyard was there."

Darin looked over his shoulder to Catriona sympathy in his eyes. If what this man was saying was true, they attacked her family simply for food. They could have taken the food without killing her family. She could still be in the safety of her home with her family instead of neck deep in danger.

Her breathing tightened as her hands balled tighter, nails digging grooves into her palms, "You're lying! They would have given anyone food and lodging… they would have given it free of charge! Why were they killed??"

Sensing the turmoil in her voice, Darin knew that she was just one wrong answer away from reaching for his dagger, something they couldn't have if they desired to leave this place alive. Telly must have sensed it too, because Darin watched as the man swallowed hard, "They was just there. Listen," Telly slapped his hand against the wood several times, "I tried to stop 'em," Darin could tell he was lying, "Honest."

Moving swiftly, Catriona reached for the dagger and with both hands, drove the tip of the blade into the wall beside Telly's ear, "One more lie, you bastard, and it will be your last."

Darin flinched. He should have known better, but when she snatched the dagger from his belt and slammed it into the wall, he thought she was going for Telly. Telly must have felt the slack that Darin's movement caused because the man took advantage of it, creating just enough space to drive an elbow into Darin's side. Grunting, Darin readjusted and slammed the man's head against the wall.

After stilling for a moment, Telly spoke, "Had to try," he growled, "We killed them all," Telly spit, "The man, his wife, and their children, butchered 'em before settin' the whole place on fire. Why you ask?"

"Shut up," Darin said, his eyes bouncing from Catriona to Telly, "Don't listen to him," he told Catriona, "Whatever he says is gonna be another lie."

Telly laughed, "I'll tell you why. Because it was -" Suddenly, Darin drove his elbow hard against the side of Telly's head. The man's words were cut short as he fell limp, crashing to the ground. Shaking his head, he turned to Catriona.

Color draining from her skin, stumbling back, the dagger fell from her hands as the brunt of what Telly almost said struck like a blow powerful enough to knock the wind from her lungs.

For fun. Her family had died for the enjoyment of others…

"Get these off…" She whispered, holding up the binding, "Get these off of me!"

After hurriedly sweeping up the dagger she dropped, Darin did as she asked. The dagger sliced through the cloth with ease, but he did not release her hand, "He was lying, Catriona. You have to know that. He was trying to get a certain reaction from you, and if he weren't lying on the ground unconscious, he'd be grinning in victory."

"Let go." She muttered, digging her nails deeper into her palms, her eyes burning with furious tears, "I don't care anymore. I don't care why he did it! He murdered my family and he deserves to die like they did! They all do!"

"Yes," Darin returned, "He does. They all do, but not like this," he held on to her, trying his best to keep her grounded to something as if letting her go might allow her to fly away to be consumed by her rage and sorrow, "If we kill him now, we might never find out who is really responsible for what happened and why it happened. You may not care about the reason now, but I know you want to know who was responsible. This man, Telly, he was only one of them, and from the looks of him, just a soldier."

"You heard him, Darin… You heard what he said…" biting hard at her cheek, she shook her head, a tear rolling down her cheek, "They butchered my family… my mother and father… my sisters and brothers. The… the little ones."

"I know," he said softly before looking over his shoulder to Telly, "they're beasts," he growled before turning back to her. His heart broke for her. He had lost only his sister; Catriona had lost her entire family, "I know," he repeated as he pulled her against him and wrapped his arms around her.

For a moment, Catriona froze, rigid and uneasy, but only for a moment. As reality washed over her and the weight sank in, a sob escaped and Catriona collapsed in his hold, burrowing close enough to muffle her tears into his chest. And she broke. The wall of emotions crumbled, that she had been so desperately hiding behind for weeks as she let go.

"I know," he said as he tightened his grip just enough to let her know he wouldn't let her go. How long he stood there holding her, Darin did not care to know. All that mattered was that the broken woman before him be given a chance to be just that. He would help her find her vengeance, or justice if he had his way, but the best thing in that moment was to just be there. So he was.

When enough time passed and it seemed as though her sobs began to wane, he spoke, "We need to go," he whispered, "Before Telly wakes up," He slid his arms from around her and rested his hands on her shoulders, "I can stash him away behind those barrels and maybe buy us more time. Either way," he shook his head, "We need to keep moving; find something that tells us where to go next," he paused, reached up, and brushed a tear from her cheek with his thumb, "You ready?"

With a weak nod, she looked beyond him to the man prone on the ground and for a second or two fell quiet. It was the thumb to her cheek that pulled her back and looking up at him, she nodded, "Let's go…"

Turning from the alley, she looked out into the street, "There are no answers here, Darin. I will never find anything here… not anything true. And the longer we stay here, the more danger I put you in. This was… this was all a mistake."

"Then let's get out of here before Telly wakes up. There's no point in hiding him if we're not going back in," he suggested as he turned toward the street.

Suddenly, the door to the Brothel swung open and out stepped two men. Darin stopped as he heard their laughter cut short, "Oy," one shouted, "What'cha doin' 'ere?" He swayed slightly, but the other man seemed steady as a rock.

"We were just leaving," Darin said as he took a step and tried to bring Catriona with him. She sidled closer, a brow lifting, uneasily.

"Is tha' Telly?" the man continued, "Oy! Wha'cha do ta Telly?"

Darin shook his head, "He was like that when we happened into the alley," he took Catriona by the arm and pulled her a little closer, "We were just looking for a little privacy, really."

The men contemplated Darin's excuse, eyeing the pair closely. Just when it seemed they might settle on believing it, Telly let out a moan, "Have too much to drink, 'ey Telly?"

"Run," Darin whispered to Catriona. As Telly sat up, Darin knew things were only going to go downhill from there, "Run!" he spoke sternly.

"Stop!" cried the man. When they didn't he looked to his partner who drew a knife, "Hit the big one, the girl'll be easier ta deal with."

The man pulled back and threw the knife at Darin.

It happened fast… pure instinct. She saw the knife, saw it fly and with a cry, she pulled free from Darin's hold while shoving him in the opposite direction, throwing herself in front of the man.

The blade struck harder than she expected, the tip, sharp and rigid burrowing into the space between chest and shoulder bone.
[/fieldbox]

zTHyLJh.png
He was running; then he was not. Darin felt the push that sent him stumbling a few steps before he caught his footing. Spinning around, Darin's brow narrowed in confusion...until Catriona turned to face him. The blade, what wasn't embedded in her body, glistened in the flickering light of a nearby torch. She fell to her knees and then to the cold, hard ground.

"You got 'er!" cried the thug, "Great shot! Now go get her."

"No!" Darin cried as he quickly drew his bow. He nocked an arrow faster than he had ever before. A second later, it was soaring through the air with a whistle and finally a thunk as it sunk into the chest of the man who had thrown the knife. He drew another arrow and sent it flying, watching as it struck center mass. The man was sliding, face first on the ground while Darin drew a third arrow. Telly was up, but unlike the other two, he chose to run for the door. Darin released the arrow, drawing, nocking, and releasing a fourth as the third caught Telly in the shoulder and spun him around. The fourth pierced through his throat causing the man to fall to the street in a gurgling mess.

Slinging his bow over his shoulder, he dropped down beside Catriona, "Catriona!" he spoke as he turned her over. Blood oozed freely from around the blade, "No, no, no, no, no," he muttered. First, Sarah, now Catriona; two women in his life he had promised to protect.

Fear crested in a wave, before folding away again, as she reached up to grasp his hand, tears squeezing from the corner of her eyes, her breathing ragged, staggered, "Shh… hey. It's okay…"

"No, it's not," he replied. He could feel the tears threatening to fall from the corner of his eyes and as he blinked, they did just that, "I was supposed to protect you," Telly let out what sounded like a gurgled chuckle and Darin thought a moment about getting up to finish the job, only Catriona's hand kept him still.

Shaking his head, he refused to believe this to be the end, "I can fix this," he said, "I can fix this," he reassured himself. Sliding his arms under her, he apologized before picking her up off the street, "You aren't dying. I won't let you."

With a small yelp, she held tight to him, her fingers curling into his shirt, "Don't you do that, Darin. Don't you blame yourself… You… I couldn't let… let them… this wasn't your fault."

Her words fell on deaf ears as a determined Darin carried her through the streets doing his best to keep to the shadows.This was his fault. Had he been more careful, that knife would be in him. As he passed by homes, he glanced in for occupants. When he finally stumbled upon an empty one, Darin crashed through the door, before lying Catriona on the table. He returned to the door long enough to bar it shut by jamming a wooden chair under the handle before he searched for rags, clothes, anything he could use to stem the bleeding. He returned to the table with a handful of clothes he managed to find.

Without a second thought, he tore at the top corner of her dress over the wound enough to expose it. His jaw clenched as he studied it, watching the blood ooze as her chest rose and fell. He ran his hands over his brow, leaving streaks of red in their wake. Darin shook his head as he studied the wound. Reaching for a shirt, he tore it and then wrapped it around a wooden spoon from the countertop, "Bite down on this. This is going to hurt a lot."

Wrapping his hand around the hilt of the blade, he placed his free hand against her shoulder, "On the count of three," he nodded, "One, two," he pulled the knife free.

She'd barely managed to grip the spoon when he handed it over, and it never made it to her mouth as he pulled the blade free as a cry wrenched from her throat.

He immediately got to work, packing the wound with as much of the cloth as he could, switching it out when it became soaked in blood, "It's not stopping," he said to her, panic evident in his tone. He cleared the last cloth away, throwing it to ground with a slop. Blood still flowed from the wound, "I...I can't," he muttered.

"Darin…" She whispered, shaking hands clutching weakly for his, "Let it go… It… it's alright. I'm not scared. I'm not…" The color had drained from her skin, and her breath came in shallow gasps, eyes falling shut, too heavy to open, "I need you to know… that I… I would… I wouldn't have left you alone. Not for anything."

"I'm scared," he admitted, "what do I do now?" he asked, his left hand fell on her shoulder above the wound while his right held hers, "Don't go," he begged as he closed his eyes, "Don't leave me."

A strange sensation washed over him, ran through his body, and out his hands. It was warm, inviting, and calming, and he embraced it. He didn't know where it came from, or why it chose to hit him now, but he would not reject it. Opening his eyes, he looked down in shock as the skin around her wound began to knit together, from the inside out. Slowly, but surely, her wound closed. When it had closed, the wave ceased to flow through him. Doubtful of what had just happened, Darin ran his hand over the bloodstained skin, pushing away the pools of red that sat over the wound, revealing a small scar where there should have been a gaping wound.

"It's gone," he said, unsure of whether it was hope's false antics or if by some other means, he had managed to close her wound, "Catriona?" he spoke as he brushed some matted strands from her face.

Her breathing evened out, as her eyes blinked slowly open, flickering over to his, "...What… how?" Was all she had the strength to ask.

He shook his head, surprise written all over his face, "I don't know, and I don't care," he smiled down at her, "It's gone. That's all that matters," he straightened up and gave a gentle squeeze to her hand, "Rest now. You need to get your strength back."

Her mind traveled to Norcrest… to all that had taken place there and she couldn't help but worry for a moment that there was something deeper in what had just occurred, but seeing the lightness in her companion, she had no desire to voice her concerns.

Instead, pushing onto her elbows, she studied him, "...Darin. Those… those men. You… Are you… are you okay?"

He hadn't thought about it really. The only person he was concerned about was Catriona, but now that she was going to be fine, he couldn't help but reflect on his first three kills. He had done it so easily, firing on reflex as if he had been on a hunt, but the heaviness of ending lives...human lives...was settling on his shoulder.

"I'm fine," he replied, "It was you or them and I wasn't going to let them walk away while you were…," he nodded as if to reassure himself, "I did what needed to be done," he took her hand and spoke with certainty, "and I'd do it again."

Her eyes teared again at his words, and sitting up fully, she shook her head, "I never… I never wanted that for you. For any of you. But you, most of all. I'm so sorry I dragged you into this."

Shaking his head, he took a seat on the edge of the table, "I chose to train you. I could have said no, then. Catriona, I loosed those arrows. You didn't make me do any of those things. You have nothing to apologize for."

"You saved my life, Darin. And no matter what you say, I am sorry for what that cost you… but I'm glad that you are here with me." Breathing out, she gave his hand a squeeze, "We should wait a few hours, until things quiet down out there… and then leave this miserable town." Somehow, vengeance didn't have quite the same appeal as it did only a short while ago.

"That's not a bad plan at all," Darin nodded, "You need to rest anyway. I don't know exactly what happened or what it did to you so it's better to be safe than sorry."

"Strangely enough, I feel fine… better than I did, anyway. But they'll be hunting for us. We'll need to find a way out that won't get us killed… And I… I should see if I can't clean up a bit." Looking at herself, she frowned. It was unnerving, seeing so much blood… her own blood. Knowing what had happened… What might have happened were it not for the miraculous healing.

"Right," Darin returned as he stood to his feet, "I'll check and see if there is anything here."

Rising to his feet, Darin took to looking for a dress for Catriona. Shifting through the drawers and wardrobe, Darin finally emerged with a worn dress. It was patched and had seen better days, but if it fit, then it would do until Catriona found something closer to her liking.

"I found this," he came back to her, extending the dress. When she took it from him, Darin turned his back to her.

While she waited, Catriona investigated where the wound had been, surprised to find not even a knick in its place. They would need to discuss it eventually, even if it wasn't the right time, then and there…

When he returned, she took the dress and rose, unsteadily for a moment, bracing herself on the edge of the table. Unlacing the blood drenched corset, she undressed down to her chemise and slid the borrowed dress on in place.

"It should do for now… though I would not begrudge a bath when we aren't in a city bent on our capture…"

A short chuckle escaped his lips, "No, I imagine not," turning around, Darin moved to the only chair left and offered it to Catriona, "What about the others? There are more than a few hours left in the night before we are supposed to meet with Ardryan and Wymond."

"We can't risk looking for them… and if we stay here, there's no telling if someone who lives here might return to find us. If we manage to get out, we can wait for them in the caves… the ones Wymond said he'd seen. We ought to be safe there until morning…"

"Right, the caves," Darin recalled the conversation, "Then we wait and when you're ready, we leave."

The question was, where did they go from there… but that, like other questions was best left for another time.

TAGS || @Jays, @DarinValore, @Ultra Paradox

Sindri's heart had just about slowed back down to normal by the time they reached the servant's quarters. Honestly, he was relieved that Rayela wasn't going in with them - while she had seemed pleasant enough on their first meeting her demeanor had taken an ugly turn at the inn and he needed a break from the stress that she caused. He started walking towards the entrance, checking that the others were following.

Alana followed close behind Sindri. It appeared the man had become some sort of leader to their little group or perhaps it was that Alana had no idea what else to do. "Where should we start looking? I don't think the servants are just going to let us wander about."

Sindri frowned. "I've been in a couple of minor halls and courts... the trick is to walk like you ought to be there and most of the time the servants'll leave you alone...they aren't predisposed to challenge people who look like they ought to be there."

"I'm sure that, considering our intended line of questioning, we won't have too much opposition." Atum spoke up from behind Alana. "We're trying to find their princess after all, and if they had nightmares like any of us did, I'm sure they'll help us out." He might be a little optimistic, but it never hurt to be. "I think it best we be upfront and honest."

"Mhmm, I think—Atum was it—has a point," Isha'a said as she moved to walk beside the others, hands behind her back, "Sure, servants and retinue will leave you alone for the most part…-but that wouldn't stop them from alerting people who be a little more proactive. Maybe—maybe we should try to look for someone in charge?- There ought to be some sort of person coordinating all of this after yesterday."

Alana shrugged as she looked around the castle. The walls seemed to rise high, the tapestries were elegant and the servants moved about without noticing them. Is this why the castle was so easily infiltrated? Alana hurried her pace so as not to fall behind. "Alright then, everyone. Who are we asking first?" There were various servants moving about. It was difficult to tell who knew what information or if they even knew anything at all.

Atum was silent a moment as he observed the servants bustling about. "If only we knew who was near the chambers whenever she was taken." But that was information he didn't have. "I suppose we'll just have to ask someone for that information as well." The Tumaran man stepped forward, heading over to the first Servant he saw.

"Excuse me, but we were hoping you may be able to help us. We have a few questions about what happened yesterday."

The woman looked up from her sweeping and eyed the four curiously. There had been various people coming and going throughout the castle since the princess had been taken. Perhaps they were just another group of them. "I can try, m'lord but like I told the others, I didn't see anything. What sort of questions?"

"Did you see anyone who isn't normally in the castle?" Sindri asked.

"Anyone suspicious? Maybe in a group?" Atum added to Sindri's question. He recalled what Gavin had told him and Shireen, thinking of any more details that he might have received from the drunk.

"I already told you I didn't see anything. I'm sorry if I can't be of more help to you. If you'll excuse me. I have much work that needs to get done. The castle is in disarray since the princess was taken," the servant said as she resumed her sweeping.

"I see." Sindri mused. "And do you know anyone who did see anything?"

"The guards have already questioned the servants but you can try Nadia. She works in the kitchens. You might have better luck with her. She's always the curious one," the servant girl said as she bowed and dismissed herself.

"Thank you." Sindri turned to the others. "So, anybody know how to get to the kitchens?"

Alana straightened up and brushed a hair from the side of her face, "Well, there's only one way to find out. Wait here a moment." She stepped over towards the next male servant she saw. If there was one thing Alana knew, it was how to get her way. At least she could bring that into their little mission. "Excuse me?" she said as she batted her eyes towards the man and gave him a coy smile. "I'm new here. I was told to go to the kitchens to help and I can't seem to find my way. Could you help me?" Again she batted her eyes, portraying sweet and innocent, something she hadn't been in a long time. The man returned the smile as his eyes drifted up and down Alana's form. It was sickening but she kept up the act. He was more than forthcoming with the information she needed. He gave Alana directions to the kitchens which weren't too far from where they were. "Thank you," she said as she began to walk in the direction she was told. When the man finally drew his eyes from her, Alana gestured for the others to follow her and led the way into the castle and towards the kitchens.

Atum followed closely, glancing back at the man before looking at Alana. "...That was easy." He commented, wondering if he or Sindri had asked what the result would be. Nevertheless, they were on the right track, hopefully.

"Sorry gentlemen but most men are awfully predictable. Bat some eyes and offer a coy smile and he'll think he has a chance later." Alana shook her head. "Sweet and innocent almost always works. We just need to disappear long before he comes looking." Alana was an expert at getting men to bend to her will but she never stuck around long enough for men to get what they wanted from her in return. And she planned on continuing in the same manner. She would get what she needed from them but she couldn't bear to be touched. The memories were still too real, too vivid.

"Who am I to disagree?" Atum chuckled, he'd just seen her words proven true, at least in that particular instance anyway. As they arrived at the kitchen his thoughts went back to the task at hand. "Let's hope that yesterday wasn't the day that Nadia decided to ease back on her curiosity."

Keeping a bit of space between herself, Atum and Sindri, she moved around the corner and down the hall as the male servant had said. "Shouldn't be too far from here."

Sindri walked into what at first glance seemed to be his worst nightmare. The kitchen was noisy, bustling and chaotic, with people running around in seemingly all directions. The heat struck him at the same time, causing him to step back a couple of paces. With time though, he could start to see some order within the chaos, even if any normal procedures seemed to be a bit strained. The whole kitchen was cooking with a fevered edge, and a constant low mutter attested to the tension within the room. He stepped forward, trying to attract the attention of a nearby serving girl. [color=#654321 "Excuse me, we're looking for Nadia. Do you know where she is?" [/color]

"Well you've come to right place, m'lord," the girl responded. "I'm Nadia. How can I help you?" She rubbed her hands on the apron of her skirt as she stood before the small group. In the corner, an old dwarf stood nearby with an ear perked and listening in carefully.

"We hear you're the person to talk to about unusual things in the castle. Specifically, those that happened yesterday." Sindri said.

Atum nodded his head in agreement. "We heard word of strange happenings before the explosion yesterday. Have you noticed anything strange or out of place in the days before the festival? Any faces that might not have belonged? Anyone suspicious?"

The servant girl, Nadia, perked a brow as she thought. "Before yesterday, no. The castle is always very quiet. It's always peaceful and everyone knows everyone. I don't really recall much. Well actually there was --"

"Nadia!" called the old dwarf from behind her. "You don't need to be speaking castle business to strangers. We don't know who they are." The dwarf furrowed his brow and came down from the stool he was using to put away some trays of food. His stout legs carried him towards the group. "We've already spoken to the king's men. We don't need to be talking anymore. Good day to you all." The dwarf moved passed them but not before shooting a glance at the servant girl, Nadia.

Nadia shook her head and sighed as she whispered. "He hasn't been the same since yesterday. I found him hiding in an old chest outside of the princess' chambers not long after she was taken. He was shaking. Poor thing. I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help. As you can see, we're very busy here." Nadia nodded her head and continued about her business, grabbing more trays of food and heading out of the room.

Atum furrowed his brow as Nadia left the room. The interruption was more than frustrating but at least it didn't leave them without direction. If he had been hiding outside of the Princess' chambers then surely he'd seen her taken, right? That could be why he was shaking.

"Excuse me, sir, sorry to bother you but we could use any information you might have, it can assist us in finding the Princess." The Tumaran followed after the dwarf, not quite sure how to approach the situation. He seemed keen on avoiding the subject no matter what, but he had to get the information somehow. He lowered his voice, loud enough for the dwarf to hear him. "Someone told us you saw the Princess being taken by a group of people."

The dwarf turned suddenly, "I saw nothing! I already told the guards that. Leave me be. I saw nothing. You'll have to find the princess some other way. Now go home." The dwarf began shaking again as he turned from the group and began walking away from them.

Sindri turned to the others. "I don't think he'll talk right now." He recognized the signs. The shaking, the desire to get away from people, the sharpness… The dwarf was panicking. Whatever it was that he had seen, it had really shaken him. Sindri frowned thoughtfully. "Let me try talking to him. Alone."

He walked towards the dwarf, skirting widely around him so as to come up to him from the front. He didn't want to surprise the dwarf, or rattle him any worse than he already was. "Hey, it's ok. Whatever you saw, it's not your fault. Whatever happened is not your fault. We don't want to blame you for what happened, but it's important we know."

The dwarf stared up at Sindri, a man who towered over him. The dwarf shook his head vehemently, determined not to say a word. He was too frightened. His heart couldn't take it. He was much too hold for these things. But the towering man spoke again despite the dwarf's shaking head.

"You had a nightmare last night." Sindri carried on. "I know because everyone did. The Oracle, the princess...she's alive, but whoever took her woke her up. Magic is starting to creep back into the world...and the Shadowmancer's creations are taking advantage of it. The sooner we find her, the better for all of us."

Sindri paused, letting out a deep sigh. Just recounting it again was making his body start to shake. He bit down the shame he felt at his own lack of control. "See? It's ok. You're not the only one scared. I'm terrified. But I'm trying to do what has to be done." He looked the dwarf in the eyes with a gaze that was sympathetic and understanding. "Please. All I ask is that you tell us what you saw."

The dwarf's eyes opened wide and his mouth opened slightly. He couldn't believe what he heard. Magic returning? The princess awake. No, this could not be yet he knew that it was true. The nightmare he had last night saw the chest he had hid in the opening and whoever took the princess stabbing him in the heart. He had to do something to help….

"I told you, I didn't see anything." His eyes darted from one side to the other looking for a way around the towering man.

Sindri paused for a moment, having caught the inflection in his voice. "Did you hear anything then?"

The violet irises of the dwarf stared back at Sindri, unsure of him or his intentions. Yet the dwarf saw that he wouldn't be able to get around his line of questioning unless he did something drastic. So he did what only a dwarf could. He quickly bent down and crawled between Sindri's legs and hurried away. He ran as fast as his little legs could carry him only saying one word as he hurried off. "Westhollow!"

Sindri blinked. Paused. Blinked again. Having processed the sudden turn of events, he returned to the rest of the group. "Any of you ever hear Westhollow before?"

Atum tore his gaze from the fleeing dwarf and looked to Sindri. "That was bizarre but...I've not heard of this place before." This was his first time leaving the desert, he only knew of this town because everyone knew of it. "I believe perhaps Shireen may know. She is a sailor." Perhaps her travels have taken her there once before?

" I have a map in my possession, so it won't be difficult to find it." They were on the right trail, finally. He only hoped that they wouldn't lose the trail again. The Tumaran looked to Alana and Isha'a as well, motioning for them to follow him back to the others as he headed out of the kitchen.

Last edited:
[fieldbox="The Streets of Westhollow, green, solid"]

Their stay in the stranger's home wasn't a long one. As soon as they had cleaned up what they could, cloaks donned, they left for the streets of Westhollow once more. The air felt pregnant with a tension as every face they passed seemed to look their way, each figure that approached sending Catriona reaching for her bow.

She had nearly died once that night and was in no mood to try for a second time. They needed to get out, and fast…

In his heart, Darin wanted to wait still unbelieving of what had happened in that little shack of a home. How Catriona had gone from bleeding to death to mending in seconds was beyond his understanding. He was worried that it was an elaborate trick of some kind and the threat of her still dying lingered. She insisted on leaving, however, and Darin decided against arguing because she had valid points. They were made even more concrete by the amount of Untamed patrolled the streets armed to the teeth and on the hunt.

It was only a matter of time before they get caught.

"They're everywhere…" Catriona whispered, as they peered out from the shadows of the alley to another patrol sweeping the streets. She was noone… and yet they were hunting her and Darin down as if they were the most wanted beings in Agganoth. And if the Untamed were as widely dispersed and as large as she guessed, perhaps that wasn't so inaccurate.

"We need another plan. We'll never get out this way."

Darin glanced down to his garment and then to Catriona. With a shrug he spoke, "I'm still wearing the Untamed clothes. We could always get you a pair?"

Brow raised, she looked over at him, smiling gingerly, "You… run into very many members my size?"

"Afraid not," he frowned before pursing his lips in thought, "There's got to be some way we can get out without worrying about getting discovered."

Just then, the sounds of hooves caught his attention. A lone merchant rode through the streets with a cart carrying covered goods, "We could take that," he suggested, "I've had to haggle and trade some of the pelts and meats I've hunted. Shouldn't be hard for me to be the merchant. You can be my merchandise."

"Your merch--" But the question died as she trailed off. There was no point in wondering the depths of depravity to which people would go. Frowning, she glanced from the cart, over to Darin again, "Alright. Let's do it."

With a nod, he stalked the cart until it pulled into a storehouse. Thankfully, Darin didn't see any other people in the storehouse, "Stay close," he said as he moved shadow to shadow until he stood behind the man. He looked much older, and frailer, too. Darin could feel the pang of guilt already forming from what he was about to do, "Sorry," he muttered as he struck the back of the man's head, catching him as he fell. Shaking his head, he dragged him into the warehouse and leaned him against the wall.

Following along, keeping back only far enough to allow Darin the space he needed, she fought a grimace as the man went down and her breath caught in her throat. Whatever they did to get out of the city, she wasn't convinced this would be the worst of it… but it certainly felt like it, in that moment.

"W...will he be alright?" She asked, anxiously.

Nodding, Darin turned to the cart, "He'll have a nasty headache, but he'll be fine," tossing back the cover, he revealed several barrels and a large crate in the middle. There was just enough space between them to squeeze Catriona in, howbeit uncomfortably, "Alright, jump in and don't move," he jerked his head toward the back of the cart.

Blinking, looking to the barrels, Catriona seemed momentarily confused before after a moment, a small laugh escape, "When you said merchandise, I thought… This is definitely a much better idea." Climbing up, she glanced back at him, "Be careful, Darin. If anything goes wrong, I might not be able to get out fast enough to help. And I'm fairly certain we've run out of miracles for the evening."

A smirk slid across his lips before fading, "For our sake, I hope you're wrong," he drew the dagger and extended it to her, hilt first, "Just in case. It'll be easier to stab with a dagger than draw an arrow."

Taking it, she nodded, carefully inching into the space between barrel and crate, "For our sake, I hope I'm wrong, too. See you soon, Darin."

With a steadying breath, she tugged up the hood of her cloak and crouched down into the cramped space.

With a nod, and a lingered look, Darin began to draw out the hide that covered the wagon. After smoothing it out, he took one last look at the cart and let out a sigh. He had almost lost the woman inside that cart just moments ago and here they were trying to sneak through danger all over again. He shook his head and then took the reins of the horse to direct it out.

The roads were relatively clear, whether that was a result of the late hour or the crowd gathering at the main gate. A faint glow of what he assumed was torchlight rose above the buildings. Whatever was going on had attracted the bulk of Westhollow to attend. Darin found himself tugging nervously on the corners of his cloak as the horse trotted through the streets. The Untamed were out in force and he watched as they kicked in doors like armed soldiers searching house to house for the people that had maimed Cadan and killed three of their own. Occasionally his mind would race with the possible torture they would endure if they were ever discovered. It was enough to send shivers down the man's spine.

Eventually, the reached the east gate. A line had formed, causing Darin to pull on the reins, "Woe," he called out before he craned his neck to try and see what was going on. To his horror, he saw Untamed searching the carts at the gate. His heart raced as he leaned back against the bench, "It's the Untamed," he muttered, "They're searching carts."

Beneath the hide and tucked into the narrow gap, she could hear only muffled sounds, but Darin's frantic muttering reached her loud and clear. Chest cinching, she swore softly. If they were caught, she knew what would befall her and maybe to a degree it was what she had earned, for trying to do things on her own… but whatever happened to Darin, that was on her.

Her grip tightened on the dagger and she breathed out, "Get ready to make a break for it… we may need that second miracle."

One by one, the carts were cleared until Darin's pulled up to the gate. He stopped when ordered and pulled back the hood of his cloak, "What seems to be the problem?"

"We're just doin' routine searches," the man replied.

"Looking for anything in particular?" Darin asked in return.

"Ain't none of your business," the man replied as he nodded to two of his companions, "Check the wagon."

Darin swallowed hard, his hand slowly moving to his bow beside him as he watched the two men circle the cart. One man reached out and grabbed the corner just as Darin's fingers wrapped around the wood of his bow.

A horn blew in three short bursts suddenly, causing the three men to straighten up and look toward the gate, "Did'ja hear that?" one thug said to the other.

"Aye," he replied, "Sounds like she's here."

And we're blockin' th' gate with carts," the other looked fearful.

Darin's eyes turned to the gate and then back to the men. Whoever this 'she' was, was enough to scare the Untamed men. Darin certainly didn't want to wait here to find out.

"Right," the first man spoke. Adjusting his clothes, and jerking his head toward the gate, he continued, "Get on then, and I'd hurry if I were you."

"R-right," Darin nodded before ushering the horses on and through the gate.

The farther they got away from Westhollow, the closer they drew near to another cart. Pulled by two horses, it moved at a steady pace even as it passed Darin. His eyes scanned the occupants. Two women sat upon the bench, one as beautiful a woman as he had ever seen with blonde curls peeking out from the corners of her hood. The other was a young girl who couldn't be more than sixteen years of age. She looked exhausted, donned rags similar to the dress Darin had found for Catriona, and sat with a posture Darin had never seen outside of nobility. His brow narrowed briefly, but the other woman flashed a lovely smile that made Darin return one and distracted him from his thoughts. His eyes lingered on the cart as it passed under the gate and disappeared.

A moment later and they were far enough away to avoid eyes. Tossing the corner of the cover back, Darin offered Catriona a hand, "Come on up here. We should be safe now."

As the cover pulled back, she rose and reached for his hand, rising upright. Apart from a slight crick in her neck and a scrap of her elbow from one of the crate edges, they had, it seemed, come up against a second miracle after all… and Catriona had never been so glad for whatever kind fate watched over them.

Climbing over to the bench, she sank down, letting her hood fall back to run her fingers through wild red waves, "We did it… we actually did it."

"Yes," Darin replied, a wave of relief washing over him, "Yes, we did," he couldn't help but smile a little, even a chuckle escaped his lips, "What a night," he continued as they crossed a small bridge and took the road south. He could see the stone ridge that Wymond had mentioned before, "I think I can get us there in fifteen minutes," glancing toward the night sky, he continued, "Enjoy the stars until then."

"When they stopped us… I was so sure that was it. Who do you suppose... Hmm. No. Doesn't matter." Blinking, leaning back to glance upwards, a small smile formed, "I can't remember the last time I stopped to look at the stars. I… I've been so focused. It's amazing the things you take for granted… but they really are so beautiful."

Turning his eyes to her, he listened to her speak. She was right. There were a lot of things that he had taken for granted...a lot of beautiful things. He'd never hear Sarah's laugh again, or see her smile. She was always smiling. He took in Catriona's features and recalled the smile that formed on her lips and the laugh that accompanied it and how it had warmed his heart. A part of him wondered if she had done that as much as Sarah did around her own siblings, "Never again," he returned, "Embrace them all, Catriona. There are still beautiful things out there, and we can't let them pass us by."

Her gaze shifted back to Darin and studying him, she nodded, "I've missed too much over the years. First with my father's business and now this. When you face it… your end… it's like everything comes to the surface. What sort of life is that?"

After shaking his head, he turned his eyes toward the road, "I don't know. I never thought of life beyond what I knew and now I have to," he sighed and sagged his shoulder, "I thought I was going to hunt for the villages for the rest of my life. Sarah would get married, have children and I would be the uncle they all wanted to follow after," he smiled lightly, "but that's not going to happen now, and frankly, I don't know what's next."

"There's something happening here, Darin. Something bigger than what happened to my family. Your sister… And now here, in Westhollow. That woman that Ardryan and Wydmond are helping…" Shaking her head, she curled her cloak tighter around her, shivering, "I had… the night Norcrest happened, I had a nightmare, Darin. Not just a bad dream, but a real, genuine nightmare. I still can't quite shake the way it made me feel." A hand rested against her shoulder, where she could almost feel the dull ache of the wound, "And then… our miracle? I should be dead, but I'm not. I don't think we can pretend that the world as we've known it is the same after all we've seen."

"It's not the same," he returned, "Everything's different now. We're different," he paused and looked down at the horse for a moment, "I had a nightmare last night, too, and I can't explain what happened to Sarah and I was right there! I was right beside her! I could feel the heat rise off her body," Grief hung on every word he spoke.

Darin fell silent for a moment as the scene played out in his head once again, "Then your shoulder," he perked up a bit, "I-I don't know what happened or even how it happened, but I thought you were going to die, too. I couldn't live with that. I had to help you."

"In Norcrest… the man I was tracking attacked me. He would have killed me, if Ardryan had not intervened. Something happened… something unexplainable. There was fire… From nowhere. No… not no where. From him. It was impossible. Or at least, I had thought so then. But if you're saying what I think you are… then I'm beginning to think your sister was only the beginning." Reaching out, she covered a hand with her own, "I can't begin to guess what's going on, but what I do know is you… you saved my life, Darin. I don't know how, but I know it's true. And I am forever in your debt for that."

He could feel the warmth of her hand as it rested on his. A small smile accompanied by a sudden rush of heat to his cheeks came next. He was thankful for the night sky hoping that the darkness covered his embarrassment, "I wasn't going to let you die," he echoed the sentiment, his eyes lingering for just a moment before he quickly turned them away.

The ridge drew closer now and the maw of a cave began to appear, "Look," he spoke, "You think that's the one that Wymond spoke off?"

Her own cheeks tinged slightly pink, she turned as he gestured and nodded, her hand falling back to her side, "Looks like it. I don't see any signs they've come this way… Likely they're still back in the city. We should check it out, first. Make sure it's safe."

"Agreed," Darin steered the horse and cart off the road and into the uneven ground. It was rough for the animal but Darin was glad that it pressed on. When they finally drew near to the cave, he slowed the horse to a stop and jumped off the bench with bow in hand, "Come on. Let's take a look."

Following Darin, the dagger at her side, Catriona glanced behind them, before plunging into the near pitch blackness ahead. Blessed, the same gracious fortune that had met them at the gates followed them along the road. The cave was clear, and breathing out relief, she tucked the dagger into her belt, "We should get a fire going. Maybe see what's in those barrels and crates we came with. With any luck, it's food."

"Food would be nice," he nodded as he headed back out the cave and to the cart. After pulling the cover back, Darin jumped up on the cart and popped the first lid, "Looks like pelts," he moved to the next crate, "Pelts," he said with annoyance. The third crate was the same. When he popped the lid off the barrel, he let out a breath of relief, "Bread," he pulled out a loaf, showed it to Catriona and then tossed it her way, "Plenty more, too," he said with a smile as he pulled out another. He tore off a piece and ate it, chewing slowly on the piece, "No one makes bread like Drakans."

Catching the loaf, Catriona pulled off a chunk and took a bite, smiling faintly, "I'd beg to differ… but this is the best thing I've eaten in a long while, so you're safe. We should bring the pelts… It won't likely be completely comfortable in there."

"Not a bad idea," Darin affirmed with a nod, "Wouldn't hurt to get some rest, too. I could take first watch, and I'll not hear any objections. Besides, I'm not the one who was stabbed."

Smiling, Catriona shrugged, "I wasn't going to argue. I'm exhausted…" Taking a few pelts, herself, she turned back to the caves, "We could break up the crate for firewood…"

"Sounds good," snatching up the remaining pelts, Darin followed her into the cave and placed them on the ground, "I'll be back with the wood from the crates."

Stepping back outside, he pulled the first crate off and began to kick at it until the crate fractured. He then took the pieces and arranged them just outside the cave so that the smoke would not fill it up. After finding some tinder, he was almost ready to light the fire. It took a trip back to the cart before he found a flint, and with his dagger, he struck a spark that caught fire to the tinder, "Ah, warmth," he groaned as he fanned it a little to catch the wood on fire, "Rest up, Catriona. Hopefully when you awaken Wymond and Ardryan will have joined us."

While he worked, Catriona arranged the pelts on the cave floor, finishing as the flames rose to life. The warmth filled the chamber, and exhaustion crept over her, as she curled up, arms pillowed beneath her cheek, "An hour. All I need is an hour… Goodnight, Darin."

"Good night, Catriona," he spoke as he turned toward the mouth of the cave, his bow on his shoulder and his eyes on the city alive with torchlight.[/fieldbox]

Collab with @Elle Joyner

Solemn Words
a collab between @RJS and @Kat

Rayela shifted in her position and laid down on the ground, restless and impatient. The sun still shone brightly on the pavement warming up Rayela and gradually drying up the water from the light showers of early morning. Atum and the others had been taking quite a bit, though she understood that searching for clues in a castle was not something a few people could do in one hour. Footsteps approached and she glanced up, a small smile gracing the corners of her lips. In the clear view, Sindri, Atum, Alana, and Isha'a had arrived back.

"Welcome back," she greeted them all and gradually sat up. "Do we have any leads? What did you find out?"

"We got a name, not much else." Sindri rubbed his temples. He was tired already, what with the morning, the heat and bustle of the kitchen...and now, just when he wanted a break, Rayela was asking more questions. At least these ones weren't directly awful. He sighed. If only he had never taken the damn job performing at the festival. He pulled his thoughts back to the present, casting his eyes back to Rayela's bandaged foot. "How's the foot healing?"

Rayela could see the stress all over Sindri's face and felt a rush of guilt come over her. She glanced down at the white bandage on the bottom of her foot, "I'm guessing it's closing up. The blood has dried, so it's not bleeding anymore. I'm sorry about all of the frustration I've caused."

She picked at her worn out dress, ripping off a piece of dangling thread. There wasn't much to go off of with just a name, and as much as she wanted to ask more questions, she held her tongue and let everyone be for a few minutes.

Her last words caught Sindri by surprise. Suddenly, he was talking to the Rayela from before breakfast, not the one from after, and his face creased into a slight smile of relief as he collapsed to sit down next to her. "Don't worry about it. It's a stressful situation for anybody, and I...I don't handle people very well. Especially in noisy crowds. They just...drain me. And I have to go, because I can't manage it anymore. Everyone was looking to me to be a leader, just because I know some stuff." He shook his head. "I'm not cut out for that. I can't handle the pressure of that responsibility, the judgement on me should I fail." He laid back flat on the ground with a heavy sigh. "Sorry. Here I am ranting at you now."

"It's okay, I don't mind you sharing your experience, truly. I don't handle people very well either. You're only trying your best and that's all that matters when people are leaders. That's what my father told me, so don't blame yourself for feeling like you're not worth it because you are. You just have to believe it."

Rayela placed her hand briefly on Sindri's shoulder and squeezed it in an effort to reassure him that everything would be okay. She sank back against the ledge and sighed, closing her eyes. As much as she wanted the rain to arrive again and come sweep her away, she knew that it would not be possible. They had a princess to save and this was the only way she could keep her husband on his toes, at least for now. Rayela pulled her legs up against her chest and buried her chin in her knees, being careful not weigh too much pressure on her injured foot. She was a fool to run away from Khalil, a complete and utter fool.

"Shireen said it'd be a good idea for me to learn how to wield a sword when my foot is properly healed."

Sindri stared into space as Rayela spoke. The words, intended to be comforting, instead shot deep into his core and lodged in like shards of ice. How could he be like that, what with all that was done? He flinched involuntarily at the unexpected touch to his shoulder, and swiftly sat upright, relieved that the conversation steered towards a new topic.

"Probably a good idea if we continue down this path...or even if we don't." Sindri unslung his hammer and laid it across his lap. "This has saved me on many occasions. Most of those I never had to swing it at someone. Most lowlifes are after the easy pickings. You carry a weapon that you know how to use, then most'll back off or just leave you alone."

"It looks frightening," Rayela stated. "It'll be a few more weeks before I can wield any kind of a weapon though, so we should probably get going as soon as we can."

"Aye, that's largely the point of it." He frowned slightly at her next words. "Well, hopefully one of the others has worked out what a Westhollow is." He chambered to his feet, offering a hand to Rayela. "Shall we go find out?"

A Westhollow. Whatever it was, Rayela prayed hard that they would find sooner rather than later. She took a hold of Sindri's hand and used the ledge to help pull herself off the ground.

"Yes, anything for the princess."

TAGS Norcrest group

Shireen-Atum.png

An awesome collab with @Greenie that will blow your socks off and leave you envious. (Eat your heart out, Kat and RJ)
Waiting for the rest of the group felt like hours, but when Shireen finally caught sight of the others returning, it really did feel as if they had just gone in. Regardless, she was pleased to see they hadn't been caught for being a nuisance or any other reason. After all, it wasn't just some tavern or inn they had entered, rather the palace of a king who's daughter the Oracle was now missing.

She stood up as they came close, an easy smile on her face. Her head wasn't pounding as much as it had been earlier, probably due to the rest she and Rayela had whilst waiting. She raised her still bandaged hand in a small wave as well as to alert the others as to where she and her companion were, just in case they forgot.

"Welcome back," she said as soon as they were close enough to hear. "You lot found out anythin'?"

Atum nodded his head in response to Shireen's question. He glanced at Amal, glad to see the horse was fine, if not bored. "Yes, the search proved to be fruitful, if not a little...vague." He wished that they could have gotten a little bit more information but it was clear that what they had was the best they were going to get. "Actually, you could help us out, I believe. We're rather stumped. The dwarf that gave us the information gave us the name of a town. Westhollow. I figured that since you seem to be the most travelled of our small group you might have heard of it before?"

"Westhollow eh?" The name took Shireen by surprise, but for a mere moment only. "Well... that makes sense. I know that place, aye. Pa an' Jarus would go there; from the sea y'can get there goin' upriver..Sometimes they'd take me too, when I was older though; ain't really a... wholesome place, you could say. Makes sense that whoever took the Oracle would be headed that way." She sighed inwardly to herself; Westhollow wasn't exactly the best place to go, especially as conspicuous as their group was. Her pa had never been fond of taking her there, even though he knew she could take care of herself.

Her stomach clenched momentarily and Shireen forced old thoughts to the back of her head. It was time to focus; travelling through memories was for when she had nothing to do.

"That's good to hear, I was hoping you would. The rest of us don't know much about it. Perhaps you can fill us in." Atum chuckled. All he knew about the town was the name, and Sindri and Alana didn't seem to know much more than he did either. "I've a map we can use to guide ourselves, but from there we will be back at square one." . They knew the town, but for all he knew, Westhollow was a big town with lots of places. The trail would undoubtedly go cold again and once they arrived they would need to ask and look around to get back on the right track. Still, it was better than where they were before.

"How are you feeling?" He asked her, changing the topic for just a moment. "I hope resting did you some good." Travelling to Westhollow would be much longer than the walk to the Servent's quarters. He was worried about her ability to make the trip.

"It did, don' feel like I got someone playin' drums in my head anymore." Shireen chuckled though only for a moment. "Westhollow's far though, least a few hours... an' with a group this large it'll take even longer... can't say how long before my head start's spinnin' an' hurtin' again." She blinked. "'Don' worry 'bout that though. I'll keep up." Slowing the group down was the last thing she wanted to do."You said you gotta map? I can show y'all where it is."

"I'm glad to hear that." Atum cracked a small smile. It was stained with a tad bit of worry, but she seemed tough, tough enough that her word seemed good. "Perhaps you should also ride Amal then. Just...do not push yourself too much. Perhaps we should change your bandages after." .

With that said, he pulled his map from his pockets, unfolding the paper until it was open completely. He spread it open entirely with both his hands so that Shireen could see and point. "Here you go." He almost pointed out where they were on the map currently, but it was more than likely she would know how to read it better than he did, so he stayed quiet, waiting for her instruction.

"Hm..." Looking closely at the map, Shireen traced her finger by the coastlines rather than inland. "Here," she finally said. "This river leads to Westhollow... that's how we'd come in 'cause we'd be coming by the sea. It'll be differnt by land but I'm sure y'all're used to that." She looked a little sheepish. "'Least we know where it is, I s'pose." She sighed softly and stepped back, reaching a hand up to check if the bandages on her head were still secure.

Atum made a mental note of the map, wishing he had a pencil or something to mark it with, but Shireen would be with the group, so on the odd chance he forgot he could always ask her. "Got it. Thank you, traveling by land is my forte." The Tumaran joked. The smile on his face faded somewhat as he watched her check her bandages. "Allow me."

He folded the map, tucking it back into his pockets before raising his hands to check her bandages. "If they do not feel tight enough we'll simply have to rewrap them." Of course, then they'd be better off getting new ones instead, for both her head and her hands. "And it seems like we may have to." . He murmured, his hands on either side of her head. It might have happened while they were walking. "If your head bandages came loose, perhaps your hand ones did as well." .

"Probably," Shireen replied. "I can be kinda careless sometimes..."
As he tried to fix up her bandages, his own hands felt a little warm to him, the pleasant kind of warm that one felt after drinking a cup of hot tea. He ignored at fist, but the feeling persisted and the wamrth grew, a frown growing on his face as he began to worry. Without warning, his hands started to shine. It was difficult to tell at first thanks to the sun, he almost thought it was his imagination, but sure enough light was emitting from his hands, to the point that he was convinced his hands had become nothing but light. "What the hell." . He was beginning to feel panic swell in his gut as he remembered yesterday. Was he next? If he was, he had to move away from the others.

Just before he pulled his hands back in fear, the warmth from his hands began to drain away, he could feel it leaving his fingertips and the light faded along with it, both into Shireen's head, where the point of contact was. "Shireen?" He snatched his hands back as they returned to normal, his brow furrowed as worry filled his voice. What happened? He was fine now, but what about her?

"I'm..." It was as if the pain Shireen was feeling had slowly faded away, until she could no longer feel any sort of heavy headedness. Her head felt clear and light, as if a heavy burden had been lifted. Pulling the bandages away, she felt at the back of her head. The sutures were still there, but there was no need. The wound was completely healed.

"It's gone," she muttered. "The wound..." She turned around, eyes wide as she looked to Atum. "Whatever you did... you fixed my head-" She paused in her words and pulled at the bandages around her hand. There was a rather prominent scar, but other than that, it seemed her hand wounds were healed to. "Y'got some healin' hands there, Atum... Was it magic?" The last part of the statement was a whisper, barely audible unless someone was close by.

Atum stared at what used to be her wounds, a look of shock on his face. He didn't know how but he'd reduced her wounds to scars. He stared at his hands, observing them carefully, looking for anything similar to what he'd seen when it happened. But there was nothing, everything was normal.

"I...I think so. I can't think of anything else it could be." He closed his hands, balling them into fists before opening them wide again. "That was...that was bizarre." He was scared. What happened yesterday had to be magic as well. Would he end up exploding into a ball of light? So far it seemed the answer was no, it'd even been beneficial just now. "I'm glad you're feeling better." . Magic hands...who'd have thought.

"Me too," Shireen replied. She could tell he was confused, perhaps even worried about what happened. Reaching out with her now healed hand, she patted his arm. "Don't worry. Whatever it was, it did good. C'mon." She tilted her head in the direction of the rest. Perhaps that would help ease some of the worry... for a while anyway.

Atum nodded his head. "You're right, it was good." If he was going to explode then he probably would have done it by now, and it wouldn't be in fire. "Let's get moving, to Westhollow." He started towards the rest of the group, shaking his hands out as he did. [/color]​

zTHyLJh.png
....The darkness swelled into infinite pitch… as each lantern flickered into oblivion. The door was gone, again, and pulse pounding, Catriona swallowed the silent scream that rose in her throat. The emptiness… the unbearable silence permeated around her, and dropping to her knees, her shoulders racked with sobs.

It was a growl that alerted her, that she was not alone. Low and guttural, it rose through the blackened chamber, no more than a few feet from where she had crumpled. Straightening, her throat caught on a gasp, which she stifled with her hands only a second too late.

Clicking… the drumbeat of claws against the stone floor, closer, ever closer… closing in.

Breath. Hot and foul, against her neck. A shiver trailed her spine, a whimper escaping her lips. Audible. And she could not help but think it was intentional… that it wanted to hear her. Tears burned, cascaded like ice down her skin. Then something else. Sharp. A stab of pain as claws raked across her shoulders…

With a sudden scream, Catriona broke into reality, bolting upright, hand to her pounding heart.

Earth. It was the source of life, the bearer of seed, and home to an innumerable amount of people and animals. It was worshipped by some, holding it in as high regards as life itself. Beautiful and vast, the ground served in divers ways to comfort and care for the people who tread upon it. But for Darin, it served as little more than a canvas for his boredom.

With a stick he had found, Darin drew symbols in the dirt, pushed rocks in line to form a border, and chased away the bugs that dared to cross into his artwork. The warmth given off by the campfire that provided him with the light he used to draw was enough to keep him from shivering as moon rose to it's apex. Ever since Catriona had fallen asleep, silence blanketed him threatening to woo him into a slumber of his own. He had to keep busy.

He was in the middle of drawing Sarah's name when Catriona's scream startled him, causing the stick to snap in the dirt. He rose quickly to his feet and started toward her, "Catriona!" he called to her relaxing only a little when he saw her sitting up in the campfire glow. Kneeling beside her, he flashed a concerning look her way, "What's wrong?"

For just a moment, still caught between reality and dream, Catriona was a wild animal, flailing away from the voice that came out of the darkness, scrambling backwards across the pelts with a terrified shriek. But as the dream fully faded and her eyes adjusted to the dim light of the fire, she recognized Darin and the yelp turned to a sob. Propelling forward instead, she crashed against his chest, trembling, clinging with a near bruising intensity.

Something had clearly frightened Catriona, and by the way she was reacting, she had not been freed of that fear just yet. He saw the moment clarity settled in her eyes, and did not have enough time to brace himself before she crashed against him. He only managed not to fall back by planting a hand on the ground behind him. His other hand quickly wrapped around her to catch her, "Woe," he whispered, "Catriona, it's alright. You're alright," he reassured her as he held her tightly against him, bringing his other arm to wrap around her.

As his hand pressed against her shoulder, Catriona's breath caught on a hiss and she pulled away, eyes widening. Slowly, apprehensively, she reached up, her fingertips exploring her shoulder and wincing, she yanked her hand back, slick with blood.

"Oh...God…"

"What is it?" Darin questioned as he studied her. When his eyes fell on her blood-slicked fingers his confusion turned to concern, "You're bleeding? From what?" He asked.

Panic swelled as she canted her head to try and see her shoulder, tears stinging her eyes from fear and from strain, "...It scratched me! I could hear it, behind me and it…" Turning her shoulder to Darin, she shook her head, "...What is happening, Darin!?"

Peering over her shoulder, Darin strained his eyes to see in the shadows of the cave, his fingers wrapping around the wood of his bow, "I don't see anything, Catriona."

"...It was a dream…" She whispered, a hand to her heart, which seemed on the verge of bursting free of her chest, "...It was… It was the same dream." Meeting his gaze, she sank back, "I was in a hallway… and there was a door at the end. I… I started towards the door and the torches went out. And it was dark… it was so dark. And I was alone. And I heard it… it the darkness. Then I felt… and I woke up." Dropping her hands into her lab, she breathed in sharply, "How is this possible…?"

"You were scratched in your sleep?" Darin shifted so that he could look at her shoulder her cloak and dress both had claw marks, the outline of which was stained in red, "What the.." he trailed off in thought, "This doesn't even make sense. What can scratch you from inside your nightmares," and how could he protect her from that.

His jaw clenched as he stood, "Let me wash that out and see if we can cover it with something at least," his eyes lingering on the shadows still unsure that it was a creature from her nightmares that had scratched her or some beast that hid within the shadows.

With barely a nod, she stared down at her hands. The tears had stopped, but the shaking had not, and the sight of blood seemed only to make things worse. It wasn't the only strange misfortune they had encountered, and even through her fears she knew they were connected… but how? And why…?

Weary to leave her, Darin quickly made his way to the cart, glancing over his shoulder repeatedly to check on her. He found a rag and dipped it in the water barrel before returning. He circled her and knelt down behind her. Staring down at her shoulder, Darin's free hand froze before it touched her back, "I-I...Could you…?"

Blinking, looking back at him, a look of confusion crossed her face before realization followed and turned away again, cheeks flushed, she nodded. With a breath, she collected one of the pelts and held it carefully in front of her, before letting her dress pool at her waist, eyes staring ahead of her.

At first, his eyes bounced everywhere but on Catriona. He looked at the roof of the cave, the rocks scattered around them, even the shadows that danced on the walls due to the fire. Eventually though, he was going to have to look at her to clean those scratches. With a deep breath followed by a swallow, Darin turned his eyes to her. He could feel the heat rush to his cheeks as his mouth went dry. It wasn't until he saw just how bad the scratches were, that he snapped out of his stupor, "You sure this was from a dream?" he asked as he gently dabbed the rag at the outskirts of the wounds, "They look like cat scratches...a really big cat."

Flinching, gritting her teeth, her fingers curled into her palm, "...What else could it be, Darin? You were watching the caves.And it wasn't there, before." His touch was surprisingly gentle, for their calloused nature, and she felt her panic lulled by it, as she breathed out, "I don't know what to think. But does it really seem like such a strange idea, after what else we've been through?"

He paused, pulling the rag away, "I suppose not," he admitted before daring to edge closer to the scratches. As he washed the blood away, the skin was angry red, but the bleeding was easily ceased, "You won't need sutures," he breathed a breath of relief, "I wish I could have stopped this," he admitted.

A brow lifting, she twisted back to look at him, a frown crossing her features, "You have to stop blaming yourself for these things, Darin. You are not responsible for what happened to me in the city, and you are certainly not responsible for this. Whatever is happening, it's not something you can stop."

"You're right," he told her, though he was still not convinced that there was something he could have done to prevent it all. Darin then wringged the rag out, allowing the water to wash out over the scratches, "I'll go see if I can find something to cover that. We don't want it getting infected. I'm pretty sure I saw a shirt I can turn into a wrap."

"Could you…" Swallowing, she rubbed her arm, as a weight of self consciousness pressed down on her, "Could you stay… just for another moment? I… I don't want to be alone in here. Not… not again. Not yet."

"S-Sure," he nodded as he began to dab again at her skin once again, "I'll stay as long as you need me," he offered.

"Thank you…" Biting the edge of her lip, she turned around again, her eyes dropping to her hands, blood crusted now beneath her nails, "It's just… the worst part of the dream… it wasn't whatever that creature was. I know I wasn't asleep long, but in my mind, it felt like ages. And there was no one… not a soul. I was alone, and I could feel it. Utterly alone."

Dropping the bloodstained rag to his lap, Darin shook his head and hesitantly placed a hand on her bare, unmarked shoulder, "You aren't alone, Catriona," his thumb brushed her soft skin, "I'm here as long as you want me."

Reaching up, Catriona clasped that hand in her own, blinking away tears as she nodded, "Not exactly the way I anticipated any of this journey going. I was… I was rather angry, when you all insisted on coming along. I had been so sure I was meant to do this on my own. I was so foolish…"

"Just offered my help, is all. I didn't know what else to do," he spoke to the floor, "I wasn't ready to see my parents," he adjusted his seating and gave her shoulder a light squeeze, "I'm serious, Catriona, I'll help you finish this. You don't have to feel alone again."

"...I extorted your help. Learning to shoot. I used your secret to my advantage, when you were hurting, and I didn't even think twice about it. I am so sorry, Darin." Sniffing, she let her hand back back to her lap, "The person I let myself become. The person… the person I almost became. Maybe I deserve to be alone."

Darin let his hand slide from her shoulder and frowned, "No one deserves to be alone," he smirked a little, "Well, maybe the most vile of monsters, murders and such. You are no such thing."

Looking back at him with a small, watery smile, she shook her head, "...But what if I am, Darin? What if I am some sort of monster? I have no pity for them… those men that died back there. None. In fact, I find… I find I'm rather relieved they're gone. What sort of person does that make me? That I care nothing for what happened to them? I know what they did to my family, and what they would have done for me, but if I'm not like them, shouldn't I... shouldn't I care?"

A sigh escaped and she shifted, pulling her knees to her chest to rest her chin on them, "You are the kindest man I know… and I've dragged you into this with me. I don't know how to make amends for that."

After chewing on her words a moment, he replied, "You're being quite hard on yourself. I think all of those feelings you have, the lack of pity, all of that is normal. You're angry, and rightfully so. Those men took everything from you," he paused and locked his fingers together in his lap, "A monster wouldn't care what happened to me so long as she got her vengeance. A monster would not throw herself in front of a dagger for anyone, and a monster would not fear the person she was becoming."
Darin scooted closer to her, "You are no monster, Catriona. You're a hurting woman," he shook his head, "And you did not drag me into this. I volunteered, and I'd do it again."

Her gaze flickered to him for a moment, before a small, weary smile appeared, "I will never understand why… but I am glad for it. I don't want to be alone… not for anything. But it's more than that. I… I'm glad it's you, Darin. I haven't known you long, and I'm sure it sounds absurd, but I cannot think of anyone I would rather have by my side in this."

He couldn't help but smile at her words. His cheeks warmed and he had to avert his eyes, "Then by your side, I shall be," he turned to her, his smile gone, "I won't leave it. Not for anything," he flashed a quick smile, echoing her words from earlier that night. They had played over and over again in his mind since then, since she had almost died and he had…

"Hey," he sat up on his knees, "Can I try that thing again? From the house when I...and you were fine?"

A brow lifted, before, with a soft chuckle, Catriona nodded and turning, pulled the hair back from her neck again, "I hadn't thought of it, but yeah… it might not be a bad idea to figure out how it all works."

Breathing in deeply and letting it out slowly, Darin hovered his hands over the scratches. He smiled sheepishly, "Alright," his eyes narrowed as he concentrated, focusing on the wound itself, but after a few moments, nothing happened. He rubbed his hands together and returned them before focusing once more. This time, he tried so hard that his brow narrowed and his tongue peeked from between his lips. Finally, he let out a sigh of frustration, "What's different? I want it just as badly. I'm hoping for the same thing. Why didn't it work? Was it just a freak accident?" he asked as he dropped his hands to his thighs.

Looking to him, she shook her head, "Maybe… maybe it's tied to something. Emotions? I was dying. I'm hardly in the same position, now. Or maybe it's something else." Turning back around, she slipped the sleeves of the dress over her shoulders again, before twisting to face him. Reaching out, she cupped her hands over his, "It doesn't matter, Darin. It worked when we needed it most. And it will again, if the time ever comes. I trust you… and I trust you will never let anything happen to me, if you can help it…"

"Just wish I knew how it worked," he replied.It was then he felt it, the warmth of the sun's rays mixed with a cool gentle breeze. It started in his chest, flowed through his arms and out his hands. It was the same feeling he had when he stood over a dying Catriona with his hands on her shoulder, "Wait," his brow narrowed, "Did you feel that?"

Shaking her head, she straightening up a little, "...No? I don't feel anything."

"It started in my chest," he rose a hand and pressed it against his chest, "Through my arms and out my hands," he traced the route, "You sure you didn't feel anything?"

Giving her head a shake again, she smiled, "...Not a thing. Is it still there…? You could try again. Maybe… it just needed a bit of encouragement?" Laughing softly, she shrugged, "Who knows…"

"Alright," he replied as he scurried around her. Gently, he gathered her hair and draped it over her shoulder, "Um," he paused, "May I?" When she nodded, he gently took the dress and slid it along her shoulder, his fingers grazing her skin ever so slightly. Smooth fair skin greeted him, so he kept pushing until the sleeve slid down her arm, "It's gone," he spoke with uncertainty. His fingers found where the scratches should have been and ran down their lengths, "There's nothing there."

Swallowing, she reached back to touch where the scratches had been, though little more registered in her expression than a sense of acknowledgement, "...Then it was you." She said a moment, later, voice slightly shaky, "...I hadn't been completely sure, until now." Looking back, she met his gaze, eyes misting over, "You were the miracle..."

Shaking his head, "I just...I couldn't let you die. I don't know how I did it. I didn't even know I could," his fingers brushed over her shoulder again, still unsure if his eyes were playing tricks on him, "I don't know how.."

"It doesn't matter how." She whispered, reaching up to brush a tear from her cheek, "What matters is you did it." Shifting, righting the sleeve, she faced him, "I owe you my life, Darin."

Shaking his head, "I did what anyone would have done," he returned, "You don't owe me anything."

"Maybe not…" Rubbing her arm, she lowered her gaze, smiling gingerly as her shoulders rose in a shrug, "...But it's yours all the same."

Rubbing the back of his neck, Darin let out a nervous chuckle, "I don't know what to say," he admitted.

"Hm…" With a nod, Catriona sank back, brushing a hand over her shoulder again with the same sense of disbelief as before, "I'm not sure there's anything that can be said… Of any of this. We have had quite the eventful few days."

"Eventful," he breathed, "Things will have to calm down.." it was more a question than a statement.

"I wouldn't count on it…" Glancing up at him, she smiled faintly, before shaking her head, "...You should get some rest. It's my turn to watch over you."
"Not sure I want to sleep," he confessed, "I'm not sure what'll be waiting for me."

Reaching out, Catriona cupped a hand to his cheek, "I will, Darin. When you wake up. I'll be right here." Leaning forward, she pressed a gentle kiss to the edge of his cheek, before carefully pushing herself to her feet, "...Now sleep."

He didn't move. He couldn't. Even as she walked away, Darin found himself simply blinking, his hand pressed lightly against his cheek. It was only when she stepped out of the light and became a silhouette against the night did he stir. First, he swallowed. Then he licked his lips. A short burst of air pushed through his lips before he leaned forward and grabbed a few pelts. He tried to arrange them in some comfortable layout, but he couldn't concentrate long enough to do so. Ultimately, he just found himself curling up on them, and drifting off with the feel of her lips against his cheeks still fresh in his mind.

Wymond waited until the others departed and turned to Ardyran. He moved him away from the girl to try and keep her from earshot, and he whispered in a low voice, "I know this is what you want to do, but I want you to remember, we don't know this girl." He glanced back at her, "She could be lying to protect her brother and evidently caused more problems for us. Whatever you do, I'm with you." He assured him and held his hand out.

Ardryan clasped Wymond's hand in a firm grip, echoing the other man's word: "And I you. She may be deceiving us, she may be not. Either way, I am glad to have you by my side." They hadn't talked much, the two of them, nor were they men of many words, but what they had seen of each other they approved of.

"Now, where were we?" Turning to the distraught girl, he fixed her with his full attention. "What is your name?"

"Lucia," She was able to muster a reply with a nervous nod.

Wymond glanced at Ardryan then back at the girl, "And you said that your brother was being accused for setting fire to the town? Something similar occured in Norcrest, yet the source of the explosion presumably died. Would you happen to know what actually happened?"

She shook her head, "No, all I know is that my brother is innocent. I know it." The tears continued to seep, "My brother should not get blamed for the end times being near."

"End times?"

"Do you not see it for yourself?" Lucia sobbed, digging her face into her hands, "The nightmares, and random acts of what could only be magic. My brother ain't no magician so it couldn't been him."

"Magic?" Wymond shook his head, thinking about it all. Was this truly magic, all of this going on? "We'll talk more about this magic later, we have very little time to lose."

"Lead the way, then." Said Ardryan, feeling the reassuring weight of his spear in his hand.

"Thank you. Thank you both," she spoke once again on the verge of tears. These men were willing to help her - a total stranger, "They're holdin' him in the cages just outside the gate. They want them to watch as their pyres are built," she swallowed back a sob before turning down the street, "We have to hurry!"

Lucia led them through the town, keeping to the side streets as often as possible. She had created quite the ruckus and any unwanted attention could thwart their rescue attempt. When they drew near to the gate, Lucia gasped. It seemed as though the whole town had turned out to watch her brother and the other two women be put to death. Members of the Untamed were there along with people she had once believed to be friends, "T-That's Celeste, and-and I see Peter over there," she gasped, "Their faces...they're just as mad as the rest of them, but they know my brother," she pressed her back against the wall and let out a single sob, "There are so many of them. Between the mob, and the guards," tears fell silently down her cheeks, "My brother's as good as dead isn't he," her eyes turned up to Wymond's a sliver of hope clinging desperately to the idea that she might be wrong, that the two men she had ended up with just might be able to save her brother from this terrible, unjust fate.

"This is...far from ideal." Ardryan's tone was grim, betraying his unease and hesitation. "Violence is certainly not an option. How long do you think we have?" He turned to Wymond with a question.

Wymond watched over the crowd, his mouth was ajar and he could feel her sudden sense of despair as the crowd jeered for the end of the magic users. "By the gods," Wymond murmured under his breath as he glanced over the crowd once more.

"Not much time, I'm sure…" He pondered over his choices, going in there would be suicide. Their best case would be causing a major distraction, some sort of uproar that will help them swoop in and get the captives out from there. But...if they did that the town would eventually hunt the prisoners down. "If we get your brother out of here, you will never be able to live a normal life and neither will he." He looked down at Lucia.

"What're ya trying to say?" Her voice cracked

"Would it really be best for us," He then looked over at Ardryan, "For all of us to get him out of here?"

"I can't just leave him!" She ran shouted and shoved Wymond's shoulder.

Wymond kept his calm exterior, and looked over at his partner, "It is your call this time Ardryan."

Lucia looked over at Ardyran, "Please," she begged, "Please help my brother."

Ardryan was silent for what seemed like an eternity. When he finally spoke, his voice was hoarse and choked with suppressed emotions, barely above a whisper.

"No one should have to be left behind."

The distressed girl reminded him of himself, and that was more than anything she could have said. Already a semblance of a plan was forming in his mind. Shaking his head hard to push the memories and cobwebs away, Ardryan's voice grew more insistent and urgent.

"I have an idea. It is far from perfect, it might not work, it might get people hurt, but more importantly it can get us killed. How far are you willing to go?"

He directed the question at Wymond as well as the full intensity of the implication's weight.

"I already came this far," Wymond smiled, "If I happen to die today I lived a long and eventful life. But…" His eyebrows furrowed and he looked at Ardryan, "What is it that you truly have in mind?"

The death of others didn't matter much to Wymond anymore. In fact nothing really mattered. Were his daughter still around he wouldn't be here sacrificing his life for such a meaningless cause. But she wasn't here, and here he was, fighting alongside an ex-military type to save a group of people he's never met before or give a single damn about.

At Wymond's words, a smile spread across Ardryan's face.

"That's the spirit." He gave the other man a hearty shoulder slap. Already, the sound of blood pumping through his veins were starting to grow into deafening exhilaration.

"A plan, yes." Ardryan's whisper cut through the air like a sharp blade. "There are too many people between us and that boy. We need to lead them somewhere else. We need a distraction. And I what I have in mind…" His grin widened into a vicious snarl, "...is a distraction of the destructive type."

"We are going to burn something down, something big and important, and make the entire town runs for it. What say you?"

"Is there a city hall nearby?" The question seemed to be directed to Ardryan but his attention was turned to Lucia.

"That, there is the city hall." She pointed to where they had her brother and the others lined up and on their knees. A speech was underway by a soldier who stood before the crowd.

"What's the next best thing?" Wymond asked and looked around. As soon as he spotted the building Lucia pointed towards it.

"There, the big ol' church. That's the town's pride and joy."

Wymond shook his head, "That's down right suicide, any other options?"

She paused and looked down upon the crowd, then nodded, "T-They...they live near the church. Celeste and Peter. Along with most of them down there, they were furthest from the blast, so most of their homes were untouched."

"Are you saying we should burn it down?" Wymond questioned, a smile spreading across his face.

"I'm saying you should do what you have to do." She nodded, a solemn look on his face.

"So be it." Wymond nodded, "Stay here. Ardryan, let's go!"

As he started running Lucia began shouting and flailing her arms about for them to stop, "You'll never make it in time on foot!"

"There aren't any other options!" Wymond shouted, not stopping to speak with the girl. If they happened to come by a horse along the way he'll make sure to take it, but they'll have to make due with what they have.

Ardryan followed closely on Wymond's heels, grim determination marring his features. "My duty's set, then." A whisper escaped his breath, so soft and gentle his passing scattered it to the winds.

Down the muddy sinful streets they went, their legs pumping like machines, their breath steaming in the cold harsh air. Slowly, inevitably, the shadow of the church rose from among the skewed structures and loomed in the distance ever closer, and along with them the shabby untouched structures around it.

"Here we go," Whispered Wymond. The church had torches scattered about yet it set the very dead atmosphere that hung about. The city seemed abandoned with everyone being on the other side of town. Wymond was hoping it would stay that way as he sprinted towards the church, snatching one of the torches off of the whitestone walls. It took them about ten minutes to get there, of course it meant they ran as fast as they could, and who knows if the hostages were even alive at this point.

Wymond was still panting, trying to catch his breath as he recollected himself, wondering exactly what he was about to do. But without a second thought he clenched his jaw, walked up to a house adjacent to the church and pressed the flames against the porch of the wooden home. It took awhile for the flames to hug the wooden pillar, but it spread like a disease, black smoke pitching into the air sending an sos to the gods. Something wasn't right.

But Wymond wouldn't stop there, he ran to the next home, spreading the fire even more. Giving life to the unrelentless flames until it became completely uncontrollable. He left the torch on the floor of a porch and the flames continued to spread.

"The things we do to save one life Ardryan," Wymond whispered, standing besides his comrade who had done much the same for the past minutes. The ember glow reflected off of his dark brown hues, "May the gods forgive you. For I may never be forgiven." A small, yet melancholy half smile discerned itself, "Let us go."

The same smile touched Ardryan's features, albeit only a flicker.

"Salvation is not for men like us, Wymond. We've done far worse than burning down buildings."

Together, the two men turned and hurried back the way they had come, careful to avoid townsfolks who may spot them, toward where they had left the girl.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collab w/ @Jays

Last edited by a moderator:
[fieldbox="Cave outside of Westhollow, green, solid"]
"I'm not sure what'll be waiting for me."

"I will, Darin."

He was smiling, genuinely smiling. The soft blades of grass cushioned him as he lay next to his sister. Her hair haloed her head as she giggled and looked his way, "Do you care about her?"

"What?" he laughed and looked her way, but she wasn't laughing anymore, "I don't know. Maybe."

"I see," she turned her eyes skyward and adjusted her head against the soft grass, "I'm happy for you."

"Really?" he replied as he, too, turned his eyes skyward.

"Ya, it's good for you," she replied, "But not for her."

Turning his head, Darin started only to find her gone, "Sarah?" He sat up just as the little boy stepped out from behind the tree, "No," he shook his head, "Not again."

They came out, one by one like the last time. Each one blaming him for the premature ending to their lives. He was on his feet running. What was different this time though was that he saw something in the corner of his eye runningi with him. It moved in a black blur, never slow enough for him to make out. He pressed on, running faster, but it kept pace with him. Panic began to set in, and Darin didn't check his footing. His foot caught a root and it sent him tumbling across the forest floor and into a trunk.

With a groan, he began to rise until he felt something drip upon his hand. It was red. When a second drop joined it, Darin looked up. He couldn't back up quick enough as a scream tore from his throat, "No," he cried.

"You'll kill her, too," he heard, spinning around to see Sarah...no, not Sarah. She was something else, a twisted mockery of her. She reached out with clawed hands, a heat rising from her skin. He could feel his arm burning even before she could touch him, "They all die."

"Don't touch me!" Darin screamed.

Time passed, as Darin drifted off, and Catriona sank down by the fire with more on her mind than she was comfortable dealing with. After a while, she rose again and paced before the open mouth of the cave. Eventually, her pacing led her to a small figure prone in the grass and with a brow quirked, she bent down to inspect the creature… It bore no markings, as though it had died in the spot of no cause at all, and yet it despite the oddity, it wasn't a gift they could easily ignore. Bread was well and good, but they wouldn't get far on it…

And so while he slept, she cooked… and when the rabbit had been properly seasoned, spit roasted and rested, she sat back to wait.

It was the sounds inside the cave that alerted her - rustling, first, then the quiet murmuring. He was dreaming. Of course he was dreaming. Swearing, rising, Catriona sprinted back inside and dropping beside Darin, she reached out, just as the scream erupted from him, and hands to his shoulders, she shook him as hard as she dared.

"Darin! Wake up! Come on Darin… Wake up!"

His eyes shot open, though for a moment, dream and reality were hard to differentiate. Looking down at him were the same blue orbs staring at him from the tree. These were different, though. They were full of life. Darin pushed himself up and back. He blinked, and with each blink, the bloodied image gave way to a perfectly fine Catriona. Shaking out the last of the image, he let out a sigh of relief, "Catriona."

Sinking back, breathing out, Catriona ran her hands over her face, taking a second to still her rapid heart, "It's alright… you're alright…" She murmured, half reassuring herself of the same.

"I'm alright…" he breathed, "You're alright."

A brow lifted at his words, as she held out a hand to help him upright, "Of course I'm alright… What In the world did you see??"

Darin scooted back until his back found the cool stone to lean upon. He brought one knee up and rested one arm over it. Letting out a deep breath, he began to recall his dream, telling her about the ruined remains of victims that always come out from behind the trees, reminding him of all the lives lost because he couldn't save Sarah, "But there was something different this time. Something was watching me, chasing me as I ran through the woods. I tripped and fell," lifting his arms, they sported several small scrapes, "When I looked up, I saw.." he looked at her then quickly looked away, "I saw you."

Shifting, she moved to sit beside him, a small frown creasing her brow, "I'd say it was just a dream… but I suppose that doesn't do much good after tonight." Looking over his arms, the frown deepened and she reaching out to take hold of them, turning them over to inspect the scrapes, "But I'm right here. Just like I said I'd be… And you're alright. We both are. Okay?"

"You are," he smiled warmly, his eyes studying her before he nodded, "They're just little scrapes. I've had worse, and you certainly have."

Smiling wryly, she shook her head, "Oy… you saved my life. Let me fuss a little, hm?? But releasing his arms after a moment, she gave a satisfied nod, "Seems well enough. Though I'm not sure that's a fair assessment of anything that happened during a dream. This frightens me, Darin. We need sleep."

A sigh escaped, and she sank back a ways, "Anyway. I made something to eat, if you're hungry?"

"You made something?" he smirked, "Is it more bread?" He asked as he softly rubbed his forearm.

Laughing, she shook her head and rose, holding out a hand to help him up, "Not quite. Come on."

Darin rose to his feet after he took her hand, "Something else, then?" he looked intrigued, "lead on."

Chuckling, pulling him along after her, she led him to the fire and gestured somewhat dramatically to the roasted rabbit, resting on a broad bed of leaves, "It's best with potatoes or parsnips, but I had to make do with what I've got. There's bread, though!"

Laughing, he nodded appreciatively before sitting down, crossing one leg under the other, "Where did you get a rabbit? Did you catch it?"

"Ah…" Wagging a finger, she shook her head, "Can't give away all my secrets, can I? Go on then… eat." Sitting, she grabbed up a loaf of bread and tore off a chunk, handing it over, "It's a shame I had to leave the cart behind. I had a case of my family's wine fit for a king. Hm. Someone's probably enjoying it, anyway."

Taking the bread, he placed it on his lap before he drew his dagger. He cut free a piece of meat and extended it to Catriona, "I'm sure someone is," he pouted a little, "You should have the first piece."

"Ah, no you don't." Smiling, she shook her head, "Best part of cooking is watching someone try it." She picked at the bread, taking a small piece for herself while watching him with an air of anticipation.

He urged, but when it became evident she would not take it, he shrugged and slid the tender, roasted rabbit into his mouth. Immediately, he could taste the work she had put into her task. His brow narrowed, a low moan sounded off. He simply couldn't chew it slow enough to savor all of it, "Wow," he spoke after swallowing it, "You made that? You sure?" He smirked.

Laughing, Catriona nodded, "I'm sure. My mother was rubbish in the kitchen, but my father taught me the basics, and the rest sort of came on its own. You really like it, then?"

"It's amazing," he complimented her, "I don't know who's is better to be honest, yours or Sarah's."

Her smile softened as she lowered her gaze, cheeks tinged slightly pink, "We make it out of this mess, Darin, I've a whole book of recipes I can make." Picking at the bread, the small faded, her eyes flickering to his arms, "...Why do you think it's happening? The dreams?"

Cutting another piece of meat off the rabbit, he extended it to Catriona with a shake of his head, "I'm not sure. It reminds me a little of the stories my mother used to tell me as a child. In fact, most children here have heard them. Mother used to tell us that if we weren't good, then the creatures of nightmares would steal us away in our dreams. I never thought much of it, but what I saw in my dream wasn't human."

As she ate, she listened, and shaking her head, she sighed, "I just don't understand… But it has to be connected. What's been happening to people, and the dreams. It can't be a coincidence. I'm worried that it can only get worse. That first night, in Norcrest at the Inn… What I saw frightened me, but it was still only a dream. But this? These things happening to us while we sleep?" Shivering, she sat up a little, "I'm afraid to close my eyes…"

"You aren't the only one," he replied, recalling the final image once again, "I don't want to see any of that again...I don't want to see it again. I wish I knew a solution, but I only know the stories mother told us and I'm not sure how much of any of those is truth or fiction."

"We'll need to sleep in shifts…" She said with a nod, "Make sure neither of us is out long enough to dream. It's not ideal, but I can't think of any other way to be safe." Frowning, she rubbed her arms, "And I'd rather be a little tired than go through that again. Or have you get hurt…"

"Well," he sliced through the rabbit and held the piece of meat, "I'll take next watch, then," he flashed a quick smile and then popped the food in his mouth. His eyes slid shut as he savored the flavors, "I might have been wrong. This might be better than anything Sarah cooked."

"You're very kind, Darin." It had been a long time since she cooked for anyone, and it was nice, truthfully, hearing the appreciation. It was nice doing something that felt ordinary… that felt right, "Of course, I'm not remotely tired, now. Does something to you, doesn't it… That fear."

"Mhm," he nodded, "It sure does," Darin ran a hand over his goatee before speaking again, "Tell me a little about them," he paused, "Your family."

"Oh…" It wasn't a question she had anticipated, really. For as long as they had been gone, anyone who knew of it avoided the subject. But it was good to remember them… For what they were, "They came from nothing, Mum and Dad. He built his business from the back of a cart… into what it was with his own hands. And he never more proud of anything, except maybe us. There were seven of us… my sister and brothers. Kelis was the oldest… he had a family of his own. Then there was Ren. Then me. Talia and Lydia were just under me and Aubrenna was nine. Auggie… he was six. Just six…" She paused, her gaze falling distant for a moment, "He had such a laugh, Auggie. Once he started, it was almost impossible to get him to stop…"

Her eyes lowered, and tears welled as she shook her head, "Mum called him Sunshine… because he was always so bright… He didn't deserve it. What happened. None of them did…"

"No, they didn't. I'm sure they were great people, your mom and dad," he flashed a small smile, "They had to be to have a daughter like you. We honor the memories of our parents by living our lives as close to the principles they tried so desperately to instill in us. I think that I see that in you," he shook his head, "Not in the anger or in your mission, but in the moments where the real you shines through; your gentle nature, self-sacrificing, and the fact that you've struggled to take life. I'm sure they would be proud that you've not forgotten yourself, even in this mess."

Blinking, sniffing softly, she shook her head, tears splashing down her cheeks, over the mottled purple bruising, "How do you see things in me that I can't even see in myself?"

"They weren't easy to see at first," he confessed, "You blackmailed me into teaching you, and vengeance seemed to be the only thing that drove you, but…" he looked out toward Westhollow, then back to her. He scooted toward her and reached out lightly brushing his fingers over her bruised cheek and catching the tears that fell, "Then I saw it. I saw your kindness in helping the woman being willing to even give up your mission to hear her plea. I saw your value in human life when you refused to kill that man even though it caused a city-wide manhunt. Then there was the dagger you took for me. Someone focused on vengeance would have let me die. I saw a loyal woman when you promised to never leave me alone, even if it was just because you were dying. Ever since then, you've been nothing but kind to me, and...and," his eyes searched hers for a moment, the corner of his lip curled up, "I see you."[/fieldbox]

zTHyLJh.png

Meeting his eyes, she shook her head, "I thought I knew what I wanted. I thought I understood… after what happened, everything seemed so clear. But when it all began, really began, back in the tavern… When I saw what it was I was doing, who I was turning into, it didn't feel like justice anymore." Her gaze fell, a curtain of red waves shielding her face, "I asked terrible things of you… and you stayed by my side… and I think that's what made it so clear. What I was asking you to become, along with me. If you hadn't come along, I don't know what sort of person I would be."

"Hey," he spoke as he leaned forward trying to peek through her locks, "I won't let anything happen to you. When I said that, I didn't just mean physically. You are too gentle a person to disappear in a sea that will transform you into something you never were and will always regret."

Smiling sadly, she tucked back her hair, looking up at him through her lashes, "I already have regrets, Darin." She murmured, "But someday, I'll atone for them. I will. I have to. You deserve it…"

"Stop it," he gently scolded her, "I'm fine," he placed a hand gently on her arm, "You have nothing to atone for," he shook his head, "Catriona, I forgive you."

Chin raised, she studied him for a moment, frowning gently in thought. It seemed simple enough, yet she couldn't imagine it was. Yet in that moment she had no real desire to argue with him. Not when he sounded so resolute, and all she wanted was to know he wasn't angry with her, "You… you're a good man, Darin. I think they would have liked you, very much. My family."

He leaned back, "It would have been an honor to meet them. I think Sarah would have liked you," his mind wandered to the first part of his nightmare, his conversation with his sister, "She definitely would have."

"You were close, weren't you? You and Sarah?" Sitting up a little, she shook her head, "I'm not sure if I ever said… but I am sorry for what happened to her. No one deserved something so terrible, but least of all someone who sounds so… Well, if she was anything like you, she deserved better than that."

"Ya," he pulled his knee up and used his knife to scrape at the sand beside him, "It was always just the two of us. Even when she got older, she always looked out for me, bringing me meals and helping me fill my bag before a hunt. I didn't need anyone else," he smiled faintly before it faded, "She was better than me and we were only in Norcrest…." he cut himself off with a shake of his head, "There was nothing left of her," he spoke, "I won't even be able to bury her," he said with a melancholy tone.

"...We carry them with us." She started softly, reaching out to take his hand, "It's something my father said to me once, when a cousin of mine drowned in the river near our home. We never them, and I couldn't… I couldn't understand how we ever have closure. He told me that sometimes there isn't always a physical form to say goodbye to, but we still carry them with us. In our hearts, our memories." Leaning closer, she touched her free hand to his chest, "She's here, Darin. And she always will be."

Placing his hand over hers, he caressed the soft skin with his thumb, "I'll never forget her," his eyes softened as tears threatened to fall, "but I will always miss her. I will always…" a deep breath was drawn in and let out through quivering lips, "Sorry," he said as he used his free hand to wipe at the threatening tears.

"There's nothing to apologize for." Her eyes flickered up to his and she smiled softly, "I wish… I wish there were a way I could bring her back for you. I would give anything to save you that pain."

"But there isn't a way," he said with a certain degree of finality, "She's gone and all I can do is make sure I live a life that honors her memory," he took her hand away from his chest and simply held it. His eyes falling on its delicate features, "It's all both of us can do."

Her own eyes danced across his face as his gaze dropped, and she nodded, "Honoring them sounds a lot better than revenge. Though I find… I find I'm a bit at a loss of what to do now. I've nothing left to go home to… I don't really know where to go from here."

"You could…" Darin looked up toward her, a heat forming in his cheeks, "You could just stay with me," he suggested.

Blinking, straightening up a little, she stared at him, "Oh… I… I didn't… You… you'd want that, Darin?"

Passing his free hand through his hair, it slowed down his neck until it fell to his lap, "Yes," he nodded lightly, "I would...I do," he paused, her hand still in his, "Would you?"

A small smile formed on her lips, as she gave a delicate nod, "Yeah. I would."

"Really?" he asked uncertain he heard her right, "You would?"

"Of course. I thought I'd made it fairly clear earlier… I'm not inclined to offer my life to just anyone, you know." She continued, with a teasing glint that faded almost as quickly as it appeared. It couldn't be that easy… nothing was that easy. Every move they had made thus far had culminated in disaster. This would be no different...

Running her fingers through her hair, pushing it back, she rose to her feet with a shaky exhale, "Why does it feel like no matter what we do… we can't escape it? First Norcrest, then Westhollow… Even our dreams have turned against us. And now this?"

Watching her as she rose to her feet, he frowned slightly as her hand slipped from his. Quickly, he arose to join her. "It's a lot," he affirmed, "But I choose to find some comfort in that we don't have to navigate it alone," he flashed a warm smile, "We have the group, and if that ever failed, we'd have each other."

Turning to him, she looked up to meet his gaze, nodding faintly, "And I'm glad for that. I am. It's just… At least when I was alone, I had nothing left to lose."

"Maybe having something to lose is a good thing," he shrugged, "Gives you a reason to fight, to survive."

Lowering her eyes, she breathed out a sigh, "You're right. And I don't want to be alone. I meant what I said about that. But I'm scared. I thought… at least with my family… After it happened, I knew there was nothing anyone could take from me." Running her arms, she suppressed a shiver, "You couldn't just have been a despicable cad, could you?"

He shook his head and took a few steps toward her, "No, my parents raised me better than that," he smiled, "Mother would have beaten me within an inch of my life if I ever turned out to be like that."

Laughing faintly, she turned her eyes to his, "Good. Easy as that would've made things… I'm glad you're not that way. And not just because I would probably be dead right now." She bit the edge of her lip, flinching when she remembered the split there.

"Oh," he started, bringing his hand up, hesitating on the way, "your lip...I did that.." he frowned, "I could try to fix it?"

Smiling delicately, she shook her head, "You don't have to… It wasn't your fault, Darin. I hope you know that…"

"I hit you...twice," he returned, "I understand why, but it doesn't mean I was alright with it," lifting his hand the rest of the way, he gently placed his palm on her bruised cheek, "Are you sure you don't want me to..?"

Meeting his eyes, she shook her head, "...Those regrets I mentioned? Asking you to do that… it's not something I deserve to have healed, Darin. I let myself be blinded by what I wanted and I hurt you in doing it. A little pain might remind me not to lose myself like that again."

A desire to argue flashed across slightly squinted eyes, then they softened, "Fine. I won't heal it, but," he paused, his thumb sliding easily over her bruised cheek, "Pain can give way to beautiful things," he smiled before leaning in and lightly pressing his lips to hers.

Catriona breathed in sharply, heart pounding, as unbidden, a hand rose to his shoulder. For a moment, she could not think, could not react, her mind revolving around shock and confusion. But she didn't pull away… she didn't want to, and as the moment passed, her palm relaxed against the side of jaw and she pressed up onto her toes.

His head spun. Did she like it? Would she push him away? It only took her a moment to answer as he felt her hand against his jaw. Darin let his eyes slip shut, embracing the moment fully as his free hand found her waist, and his other hand shifted deeper, his fingers sliding into her hair at the back of neck. Guiding her closer, he pressed on.

A pricking heat rose along the edge of her spine, as her arms curved around his shoulders. Her heart felt as though it might burst, but pulling away was the furthest thought on her mind. For the entirety of her life, Catriona had thought of nothing but family and duty, and what lay ahead of her as the daughter of a merchant. She had never allowed… never even thought to entertain the idea of allowing affections for someone, and after her family's murder, it was the furthest thing from her mind. Or so she had thought.

But Darin made easy what should have been difficult, and despite the adversity they faced, despite knowing him so short a while, she could not… would not give in to reason or logic. Not when nothing else in the entire world felt more right.

Then the wave of heat burned hotter, trickling down her arms, cheeks flushed, blazed until it was nearly painful… and with an abrupt gasp, Catriona pulled away.

Everything was going so well. He could feel her melting into him. Even her skin began to warm, around her neck. Darin could not have imagined it being any better than it was, but suddenly, she pulled away. He pulled his hand back, confusion on his face, "Catriona?" he asked. Maybe she didn't like it, "I-Is everything alright?"

"W...what?" Looking up, Catriona blinked, before realization struck… how it must have looked, and swiftly, she shook her head, "Oh, no. No, Darin. I… It's not… That… that was wonderful." Breathing out, she stepped forward and tentatively, almost with a sense of trepidation, she took his head, "I felt something. I'm not sure what. I'm sorry…"

"I felt something, too," he smiled, returning his hand to her cheek. The moment he touched her, though, his brow narrowed, "Woe, Catriona, are you feeling well? You're warm."

Frowning, she shook her head, "That… that's what I felt. I thought, at first, maybe it was… It seemed normal. But then it was… It was like…" Her mind revolved, spinning too swiftly, back to Norcrest, back to the square and her heart gave a throb as she pulled away again, stepping back this time, "I felt like I was on fire… from the inside. What… what if…"

"Cat-," he reached out for her as she stepped back catching her by the hand, "Stop. Don't pull away," he tried to pull her to him, "Please, I couldn't help Sarah, but, please, let me help you. We can figure this out."

With a small whimper, Catriona collapsed against his chest, holding herself as close as she dared, "...I saw what happened, Darin. I saw... I don't… I don't wanna hurt you."

"You won't," he told her as his arms encased her, "I failed Sarah, but I won't fail you. We'll figure this out...together."

A moment that was meant to be happy… that should have, by all rights, been one of those that she would remember for the remainder of her life, had been driven to darkness… and while the heat seemed to subside, the fear did not, as she continued to cling to him, tears falling now, "I'm so sorry… I ruined it."

"You didn't," he ran his hand through her hair, "It'll be one of those things I'll never forget," resting his chin on her crown, he continued, "Truth is...I've never...that was my first kiss, and it was better than I imagined."

Shifting, resting her forehead over the center of his heart, she breathed in, allowing her heart rate to calm, her mind to settle, "...Mine, as well. I never… I never expected this. When I left home, I could think of nothing but getting justice for my family. And then you happened, and I have never been so confused. But I have never been so glad to be confused. Or scared. I've never felt this way about anyone… I never dared to. But whatever just happened… if I ever hurt you… Darin, I would never forgive myself."

Pulling back, Darin lifted her chin to look into her eyes, "You won't hurt me," he smiled faintly before pressing a quick kiss to her lips, "We'll figure it out. You can't scare me away that easily."

Uneasily, a smile twitched at the corner of her mouth, and shaking her head, she slipped her fingers through his, "I don't mean to...It was nice. Hopefully the others arrive soon, and we can figure out what to do next." The smile faded as she turned towards the path they had come along, "...I think we need to try and find out what's happening, Darin. This isn't something that's likely to go away, and we might be the only people who recognize that. We might be able to stop it from getting worse...They're connected somehow. The dreams, and these… these things that are happening to us. If we can stop it, maybe I won't…" Frowning, she shook her head, "I don't want to end up like Sarah. And I won't hurt you."

"As soon as the others join us, we can tell them what we discovered. They can come with us if they want, but I think you're right. If we can help and we don't, I'm not sure I'd ever forgive myself," he paused as he looked out to Westhollow, "It's your turn to rest. I'll wake you up before you can dream."

Frowning softly, she glanced back to the cave, but hesitated for a moment, turning back to Darin, "I don't think I could sleep… Maybe… maybe it's better we go, now, Darin. There's a good chance something's gone wrong. It feels wrong, sitting around waiting."

Darin hummed as he looked down at her. Recalling how she had suffered during her last nightmare, maybe it was better to put off that possibility just a little longer, "Are you sure? There's no telling when we might find a moment to rest again."

Nodding, she turned her eyes from the road to glance back at Darin, "I'm sure. I'll just get my things." Pausing, she pressed up on the tips of her toes, lips brushing his, before she straightened and made her way back to the entrance of the cave.

He watched her retreat into the cave. The fire lighting her, warming her, as she curled up on the pelts. The warmth that had radiated from her body; it tossed his mind back to the townsquare. Sarah radiated with such heat that she burned a man simply by touching him. He wondered if it started like that for her. If she felt warm before heating up, and it only seemed to worsen the more scared she became. But Catriona wasn't afraid.

Looking to the sky, Darin sighed, "I'll find a way, Sarah. I'll save her," he muttered softly.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Reina
[fieldbox="Westhollow, gold, solid"]
The noise of the crowd ascended into the night sky. Bitter, angry words spilled from their mouths. Even the children uttered speech unbecoming of them, yet no one cared to scold them. The shadows from the torchlight seemed eager to participate in the events, dancing angrily against the palisade. However, it was the animals that knew the truth behind it all. Crying from their stalls, they stepped uneasily trying desperately to flee from the monstrous intent that drew out over half of the town at such a late hour as this.

Henry stared on with wide eyes as they brought the prisoners through the guarded path and outside the city gates. His mother had insisted that he attend the execution, "You need ta see what happens ta witches!" she told him when he had tried to tell her he didn't want to go. A boy of eight, he wanted to play with his wooden soldiers on the cool, dirty floor of his room more than he wanted to be out late at night for this.

"Come along, Henry," his mother said as her hand squeezed over his, her other hand holding a sack of rotten food. She practically dragged him through the crowd never minding his struggle to keep up.

"Momma, wait!" he cried out to her.

"Keep up, boy. We'll not miss this because you can't walk faster," she scolded him.

"Yes, ma'am," he replied.

A few moments later and they broke free of the crowd and somehow managed to find themselves at the edge of the circle the guards had marked off. Henry had always admired the guards, with their brown leather armor and tabards hosting a boar bathed in a sea of green. They always smiled at him when they saw him, and some even played with him as he rushed them with wooden swords. But the men standing before him were not the same he had admired. These were cold men, with angry eyes. Even old Buford wouldn't acknowledge him.

Suddenly the roar of the crowd grew, and Henry looked up to see his mother toss a rotten apple. Because of the guards, Henry couldn't see who she hit. He felt his mother's grip loosen and Henry found it easy to slip his hand from hers as she threw yet another piece of fruit. She didn't even notice.

A cry tore from the center of the circle and Henry moved and sat back on his feet so that he could see between the guards. His heart broke for the three people that he had grown up knowing were being pelted with rotten fruit and tied one by one to poles that stood in mounds of wood. Henry found himself wondering why they were doing that. Was this their punishment? It was enough for Henry to know that being a witch was a very bad thing.

Then Benjamin Horris stepped up with his arms out. Henry had seen him do this before when he wanted to quiet the crowd so that they could hear him speak. Sure enough, the crowd fell silent, but that did not stop a piece of fruit from cashing into Cassey's face. Henry's brow narrowed in frustration, he had always liked Cassey. She was the baker's daughter and always gave him a free muffin.

"For the destruction of property, practice of dark arts, and murder against the people of Westhollow, Cassandra Lysolin, Tracia Cresen, and Jorus Sylva are condemned to death by fire; the same instrument of their wrath against our town," Benjamin stated. The crowd erupted in another roar of approval.

"No," Henry whispered. Cassey would have never set fire to anything. She loved everything, especially him. He watched through watery eyes as Benjamin took a torch, along with two other men, from the closest guards and stepped up to the condemned. His little heart pounded wildly against his chest. As Benjamin seemed to say something to Cassey. She erupted in tears moments before all three of them threw their torches onto the pyres.

The fires consumed the tinder quickly, but it took a moment for the wood to catch. It was horrible. He watched as Cassey's knees bucked left and right trying to free her legs from the bindings that welcomed the encroaching flames. Henry gasped as the first screams arose, though they were not from Cassey. Jorus' fire consumed the wood quickly and had rushed over his clothes and body. It was the most horrible thing the young boy had seen as Jorus screamed in agony. Tracia was next. He had never heard a woman scream as she had.

"Cassey!" he cried out behind streams of tears. Above the cries of the crowd, the screams, and the crackling of the flame, it seemed as though she had heard him, because for a second, Henry swore their eyes met. She was afraid and her soft, tanned skin began to redden because of the heat, "Cassey," he cried. She shook her head, and Henry fell to his knees.

"Fire!"

Henry shook his head. There was fire, but when the cry came again, he noticed it was coming from the back of the crowd, closest to the city. The gasps from behind him caused him to turn back. Sure enough, smoke, glowing from living flame, arose from around the center of the town.

"The church!" cried the closest person. Suddenly, the crowd began to move toward the city.

"Save the church!" another cry and the crowd began to move with purpose.

Henry's eyes caught Cassey, still fighting to resist the flames and he began to push against the crowd, "Cassey, I'm coming!" he called out. She must not have heard him, because she did not acknowledge him, "Move!" Henry said as he pushed aside a woman. An elbow caught his arm, a leg his stomach, he was certain he would have many bruises in the morning, but he fought hard. When his eyes caught sight of a break in the crowd, he narrowed them in determination. There was his exit. Pressing on, he saw it grow, "One more step!" he grunted. With an umph, Henry squeezed through the opening and fell to the ground just behind the guards.

"Cassey!" he ran up to the edge of the fire, "I'll save you!" he cried. Immediately, his head swiveled as he searched for water. A bucket rested not too far away. Hurrying, he slid in the sand beside it before picking it up with a grunt. Water sloshed over the sides as he hurried to the pyre, "Hold on Cassey," he called out. He could see the fringes of her clothing catch fire as she started to scream. Henry drew the bucket back and with another grunt, tossed the water as far as he could. It splashed out the fire on her clothes and some of the flames around her feet, "I'll get more water!"

"Henry!" she called down, "Run!"

He shook his head, "I won't leave you!" He searched but there were no more buckets. When he returned, he noted that so had the flames, "There's no more water!" he cried out. He had to help her. He paused in thought. What did father used to do when they were out at night without water. Sand! He would kick sand on the flames!

So did Henry. With all his might, he kicked sand onto the flames. When that did not seem to be enough, he turned around, bent over, dug his hands into the earth, and began to throw it behind him like a dog. Sweat ran freely down his determined face.
[/fieldbox]

[fieldbox="Untamed Brothel, red, solid"]
"The city's on fire!" Ordy burst through the door and spoke, panting heavily.

"Where?" a man, strong and tall, spoke from behind a desk.

It was then that Ordy realized that his boss had company. A beautiful woman sat beside a young girl with bound hands. Ordy must have stared too long because his boss asked again, "S-sorry, sir," he spoke up and turned his attention to his boss, "The church, or rather the houses around the church. No one knows how it started, but the whole city's come in to help put it out."

That seemed to annoy the woman because she spoke up, "Killian, you told me that you could get me passage through Westhollow and to the Agrennian border without notice."

"I know what I said," Killian spoke, crossing his massive arms over his broad chest, "and I'll do that. You just won't be able to leave tonight."

"Killian," she stood up and Ordy took notice of just how much more beautiful she was, "I cannot afford another night in Drakos," Killian didn't budge, so she let out a sigh and nodded, "Fine, but I expect to be out of this dreadful place by first light. Come on, darling," she spoke as she tugged lightly on the rope. The young girl arose and followed without resistance.

"Find Lady Vivianna and her 'guest' a room. Make sure it's the most comfortable," he spoke to Ordy, "Oh, and make sure that the men know not to touch her."

Ordy flashed a knowing look toward Killian, "You want her all to yourself, hey boss?"

"Don't be foolish, Ordy. That woman would kill every one of us without a sweat. I don't want her," he shook his head, "I don't even want to touch her."

Swallowing hard, Ordy nodded. If Killian was afraid of her, then it was a good thing for everyone else to be as well.
[/fieldbox]

2ed08748160cd81354971bb1c8d647f8.png

Despite her usual stamina and strong body, Shireen had to admit she was tired by the time the group reached the outskirts of Westhollow. She wasn't one to complain, so she didn't mention it out loud, but her legs were sore from all the travel. Atum had offered for her to sit on Amal as well, but the sailor didn't really wish to make things difficult for Rayela. She could tell from their conversation outside the palace that the Tumaran girl was already way over her head. It was best that she stayed calm, and it seemed the horse helped quite a bit with that.

And of course, there was the fact that Shireen was secretly a little scared of horses, never having ridden one before. Ships and the sea were her forte- how she missed both of them right now.

When she had mentioned to Atum and the others that Westhollow wasn't the most wholesome of places, she had meant it, though perhaps a little over-exaggerated the fact so that there were no surprises once they reached. However, that last thing she expected was to see smoke billowing even before they entered the city's gate... that too, two sources of smoke. One seemed further away, but the source of the smoke closest to the travelers was plain to see.

For a moment Shireen stood rooted in place, unable to see anything but the pyres and the burning bodies upon. A movement caught her eyes, however, and when she looked that way, she saw a young boy desperately digging at the ground with his bare hands, as if his life depended on it. A single shift of her eyes showed her that it wasn't his life he was worried about, rather of the women alive and still tied to the pier. Was he her son? Her brother? It didn't matter though, not to Shireen.

"They need help!" she burst out. Whether the others agreed or not made no difference; she left the group and rushed forward, eyes moving to and fro, searching for water, though she couldn't find any on hand. "We gotta stop the fire!" Unable to think of what else she could do, the sailor attempted to kick and stomp at the flames licking the pyre, hoping some of the fire would quell enough to allow her to cut the bonds of the one tied to the pole.

"Boy," she yelled over the hubbub, "you need t'leave 'else you'll end up roasted! I'll try to save her!" Whoever the woman was, she was precious enough to the child that he would risk being here to save her. Shireen could not let his efforts go wasted. She didn't want yet another person to feel the loss of a beloved one.

Last edited:

SINDRI HERMOD

Sindri had borne the burden of the journey to Westhollow easier than many in the group - a lifetime of travelling between the different settlements in the mountains of Eldrassir made a man more than capable of walking down a road for a few hours. The smoke on the horizon had him fearing the worst as they approached. Another explosion? Did the people who took the princess cause another explosion here too? The truth, as they entered the town, turned out to be even more horrifying.

Pyres. Stakes. Screams of agony. He froze, taking in the macabre scene. Two charred bodies were long gone, but a third, a young girl was still suffering, even as a boy tried frantically to fling dirt onto the fire to smother it. He froze. What could drive people to such barbarism? What good could their arrival do? They should leave. Quickly. And then he saw Shireen dash forwards, trying to stomp out the flames. His mind cleared as he dropped his pack. People had to do what they could. That was the important thing here. He had to try to do something, to protect them. The girl in the flames, Shireen with smoke already rising from her boots.

He dashed forwards, heading to the pyre. His limbs started to feel heavy almost immediately - because of the earlier journey he assumed - but he didn't feel any slower. As he dashed into the pyre, his arm brushed Shireen as he ran by her, grasping hold of the woman on the pyre. Strange. The fire didn't feel painful at all. He couldn't even feel the heat. Must be the adrenaline. "We'll get you down! I promise!" He looked down at the ropes that bound her, and was stunned to see his hands and arms had taken on an obsidian sheen. Where he touched her, the girl's skin was also taking on that same sheen, spreading from his hands to cover her body. Glancing back, he could see the same thing happening to Shireen. What? How? He could see the girl's discomfort ease, even as the clothes they both wore ignited. There was no heat, no pain. He looked back into her eyes, as wide as no doubt his were.

Magic is returning to the world. Sindri reached for a small knife, cutting the ropes and lifting the girl up into his arms. He turned and walked away, still wreathed in flames as his clothing burned around him. Two, three, four steps away from the pyre. Out of the flames, to safe...

His vision went black. The others could see the strange black colouration fade from the skin of all those it had touched as Sindri dropped the girl and keeled over forwards, unconscious, clothes still smouldering.

The walk to Westhollow left Atum tired and his legs sore. He couldn't remember the last time he'd walked such a distance, if he ever had. Nearly every journey he had embarked upon was taken on Amal's back, but he wasn't able to do that this time. Instead, he'd guided the horse while letting Rayela ride upon its back due to her foot. While he'd never taken his horse for granted, the walk made him even more appreciative of his steed. The moment they got to Westhollow, he intended to take a rest before the search continued; he was sure Amal wouldn't mind taking one either.

But any plans of resting went up in flames when he and the group took notice of the smoke and flames as they entered the town. The stench of burning wood and flesh filled the air, and Atum wasn't the only one to notice it. Amal reared his head, refusing to move forward any further. "Steady boy, steady." He kept a firm grasp on the reigns and rested a hand on the horse's head. "You've got no reason to be afraid...you're too fast to burn. We've been through worse." It didn't take long for the horse to calm down. The Equus had been through worse, and it remembered that.

Atum turned his head back to the scene just as Sindri and Shireen rushed forward to help before looking to Rayela. "...You know how to handle a horse, correct? You can take Amal, he'll keep steady. Do what you can to help, but don't put him, or yourself, in any more danger than you have to." He looked rather frustrated as he spoke. He didn't quite trust Rayela with Amal, but she hadn't done anything to prove herself dishonest yet. Rayela couldn't get around well without the horse and if she took him then they could help a lot more people than if he led her. He handed the woman the reigns before rushing off towards the flames.

Sindri had saved the woman, and as bizarre as it was, thanks to what had happened before they left Westhollow, Atum didn't spend much time thinking about it. If anything, it was just more proof. Magic, it was back. He couldn't help but wonder if that was the reason this woman was being burned alive. She was a mess, her skin blackened and charred by the flames. He wondered if he could pull off the same trick again, but he had no idea how to do it, and if it would even do much. For now, she was safe.

But the boy...the boy would want to see her. She was obviously important to him, but Atum didn't want the child to see her this way, and he was sure the others would agree. "Rayela!" He called to her, raising his hand and motioning for her to come over. "Take care of the boy, please. I'll try to put the pyres out." He'd have to rely on dirt for that, or find water somewhere. He had some in his gourd, but that was enough for one person to drink, not to put out a fire. He'd use it though. He followed Shireen's example first, kicking up dirt to smother the flames, as well as splashing the water from his gourd onto the fire.​

Rayela had been grateful she was given a fair chance to allow time off her injured foot. She only prayed that it healed sooner rather later. It was an injury she felt slowed everyone else down and borrowing Atum's horse made her feel a small tinge of guilt whenever the stallion moved forward. Her daydreaming was soon interrupted by the flames burning bright in the distance and the sudden rear of Amal's head. Rayela's eyes widened in shock; not long after Norcrest had burned, Westhollow followed. It could not be a coincidence. There was some kind of correlation between the two incidents, she was sure of it.

"What happened?"

Her question was only a moment's thought before everyone jumped into action. Rayela felt Atum hand off the reins to her and she briefly took charge. Ideally, he most likely would've wanted her to lead Amal to safety, but any help she could provide was also greatly appreciated. Rayela stared at the flames, assessing the situation and where might be the best place to go. Fire was an unpredictable sort, she could not quite make an informed decision with how fast the flames were crawling across the walls and towering the buildings.

Rayela made the decision to turn away from the flames, intent on keeping the horse safe, however, Atum's voice rang out to her once more. She motioned the horse into a brief gallop and upon hearing about a small boy, glanced around. The poor child was lost and confused, still determined to save the woman who looked absolutely terrible, bless her soul. Her heart pounded in her chest as she swooped down from Amal almost immediately and tried to run on her injured foot, ignorant of what consequences may rise from her reckless behavior. She had to save the boy, she had to save him.

"Little boy, please stop! Stop, it's okay now! She will be fine."

Rayela could not allow the young man to experience the horrors his friend had just gone through. She stood in front of his side vision and gently requested if she could touch his shoulder.

"What's your name?"

The boy looked up; she could see strength in his eyes, but behind them, panic and confusion. Anxiety and an ache the boy possibly felt he could not fill if he didn't save his friend. Her chest felt heavy as she stared into those eyes.

"I have to see Cassey!" He insisted and immediately tried to run past her.

"Boy."

She shook her head and immediately pulled his back towards her chest. She wrapped her arms around his chest area and he kicked and screamed. It was clear how much the woman, whoever she was to him, meant to this boy. She deftly switched him around and pulled him close, head buried in her shoulder, away from the charred woman. She could feel the boy trembling against her body.

"This is no place for you. I'm going to get you to safety. Your friend will be safe too. We saved her."

She glanced over at Sindri, heart lurching at the sight. Sindri's bravery had put him in a difficult position; the poor man was laying down amongst the flames. Where were his burn injuries? Had she seen the wrong man step through the flames to pull the woman down from the pyre?

"Sindri?! Sindri!"

She felt her heart rocket through the roof when he didn't answer. She trembled as she thought of the worst possible outcome. Was he dead? Rayela didn't have time to think. She shook her head, willing negativity to the back of her head. She could not stop to see if he was alright; the boy was her priority. Rayela picked up the boy in her arms.

"Close your eyes, now," she demanded. "Keep your face buried in my neck." A gentle voice wouldn't have made him listen.

"No! I have to see Cassey!"

He squirmed, forcing Rayela to latch onto him, her knuckles turning white. He was strong and that meant any chance he could get, he would try and take a peek at his friend. He tried to look over Rayela's shoulder and she immediately pressed his face into her neck. He bit her skin and she grimaced, but stood her ground. Rayela could not allow him to see the terror his friend had become.

"I'm sorry I can't let you see her right now. We need to go."

"No! No! No!" He cried into her neck, tears running down her chest. Rayela's heart broke for him as she jogged over to Amal, keeping his face to her neck and wincing a little every time her injury hit the ground full of dust, human ashes, and various debris. Thankfully, her foot was wrapped up well to keep any particles from seeping in. The injury was not as awful as it was before; it seemed the pain had waned out a bit over the last few hours and the bite that had been distributed hurt a lot more than her foot now.

"I'm going to put you on a horse. Keep your eyes closed and don't be alarmed. We'll make it through."

Rayela took a deep breath and hoisted the boy up on Amal. She immediately followed up after him and turned his head the other way when he tried to glance back at Cassey again. She placed the boy's hands on the horn.

"Don't let go. Look straight ahead. Keep a good grip on that horn. I'll be here to catch you if you feel like you're going to fall, I promise."

Rayela turned away from the group and snapped the reins. Amal dashed away from the fire, far from the group. Once Rayela was positive the boy's friend could no longer be seen if she looked behind her, she allowed the young boy to open his eyes again, if he so wished.

As best they could, Ardryan and Wymond snuck through the crowd rushing toward the way they had come from, trying to appear nondescript. Panicked and confusion dominated the features of the people of Westhollow, raging flame reflecting off the terror in their face like hell light. They had meant to avoid torching the church, only the untouched buildings around it, but fire of course was not theirs to control, and destruction, like all things that caused pain, had a mind of its own. What would follow was out of their hands.

Pushing through the throngs of people took little effort as they trod the muddy path closer to the square. Slowly, agonizingly eventual, the scene revealed itself to their eyes in glimpses past openings between dashing bodies. Wymond couldn't discern exactly what happened from the havoc that unfolded due to the raging fire. People continued ramming into him in a panic towards the roaring flames, but that didn't stop the men from slipping through the crowd. Finally, he was able to see what awaited them and it made him quiver.

In the middle of the town square, laid two bodies, still burning in a pyre. The burnt corpses were almost unrecognizable. Charred so badly it made Wymond want to gag. This was truly the most inhumane thing he had ever witnessed. Even after years and years of violence, this was one of the worst crimes he ever laid eyes upon.

"Fuck," Wymond scoffed and put both of his hands on his head, "All of that for nothing…" He turned to the gates where they once stood and noticed Lucia on her knees bawling. Wymond's eyes furrowed and his nose began to bleed, "Curse them."

"We made a choice. We did what we thought was best." The words floated through Ardryan's lips, terrifyingly easy. How often had he been using them the last few years? His eyes touched the weeping girl, full of pity and regret. But as soon as the softness appeared they were gone, replaced by a faraway look that peered into the future and disregarding the present.

"We need to join the others."

"Wait, what's this?" Wymond pointed to a group of people, a man who seemed unconscious and two women. There was another up above the hilltop but she rode off on a horse. "Who are these people?"

Wymond noticed how there were three wooden poles burning, yet only two corpses. That's when he put two and two together. "Ardryan…" He looked at his comrade, "Did they just save that girl from burning?" He was completely astonished.

"It would appear that way, wouldn't it?" Ardryan pursed his lips in puzzlement. "But what business is it of ours? We need to go, before they come looking." They had helped enough for today.

"Come." Already he was turning away.

Wymond took a last glance at the strangers. His mind continued racing. How exactly did they get that girl out, why were all of these strange events occurring over the course of two days, and the explosions? All of this just didn't make sense. Then the constant visits he would get from Delilah. He was going mad.

"What has this world come to?" He mumbled under his breath and then without another word turned suit and followed Ardryan.

(Collab w/ @Jays )