The Street Urchin Finds His Diamond in the Rough

• Thread starter All My Love Is Books
  • Start date
Jamal.... Aleksandra frowned deeply as she moved to sit up on the beach. She still had half her body in the water and her hands were floating on top. "Jamal still works for my father?" Alek asked, staring out at across the water that was slowly becoming calm again. She had always had this strange feeling about that lanky man. Always pushing her buttons the wrong way and it worried her because her father did not see what she felt nor did he feel the same way about him.

"I should have figured he would still be there. Father doesn't feel the same way I do about him." Alek rolled her eyes and then laid back on the beach so that the cool water brushed against her warming back. "I don't know what to say to him, I've tried to tell him that he shouldn't trust Jamal but he snaps at me and tells me its none of my business." Aleksandra groaned, picking up a ball of water with her hand (using her magic) and throwing it across the lake.

He watched the liquid orb burst against the opposite bank, and let out a small sigh. His brow wrinkled as he thought of Jamal, the distaste the guy had for both him and Alek. He used to think he just hated kids, but the older they both got the more Rajani realized he just despized anyone that challenged his power. No amount of good will or agreement could win over Jamal's graces or approval.

"Yeah...I guess he still just sees the street rat I was when we met. I dunno...I try to have faith that your father knows what he's doing but the more he trusts Jamal, the darker this city gets. Can't walk down the street or scale the rooftops without looking over my shoulder these days." By now Rajani was leisurely backstroking to join Alek at the shore.

"When I took management of The Lamp, it was at the expense of your father's respect...he wanted me to be Jamal's 'understudy' or something...but I couldn't watch that bar break down, and I didn't want to be any part of whatever it is Jamal has roped your father into this time." He considered how much to share with the girl, so blissfully unaware of many goings-on. "Alek...I've done a lot of things I'm not really proud of. Most of it I thought was for your father, but every order came from Jamal. I'm not sure what's big enough to call you back, or what they'll want from us...but you can always say no. The only obligation you have is to yourself, and I certainly wouldn't hate you if you just took off after everything." As much as it would pain him to say goodbye again, it would pain him more to see the light in her snuffed out by the evil he'd seen.

Aleksandra watched Rajani do the backstroke over to her. "What are you talking about Rajani? I know that my Father does... other dealings behind closed doors. He said it was no place for a lady so I was never allowed in..." Aleksandra murmured, looking over at him. She did not want to believe that he had been roped into the life of being an underworld person, but from the sound of it he seemed to be headed in that direction to tell her.

"I wish I knew why they want me back. My father certainly doesn't want me around for pleasure and I will never run the bar myself that was to be left to either Jamal or I always assumed you, but it seems that Jamal is starting to take over. Maybe... we should go back. I'm sure that my Father is wondering where I am and I need to look at him. Just make sure that he is all right." Aleksandra made no move to get up though as the phone rang one more time.

She looked back at the tree house and then back to Rajani. "I would never leave you again Rajani. Promise." Aleksandra smiled at him, reaching out with a sand filled hand and rubbing his shoulder half genuine smile and half smirk riding on her face.

Reassured, the young man stood and stretched before offering a still-dripping hand to his friend. He half smiled as he said, "Suppose we oughtta face the music huh?" As they walked back to the tree, Rajani playfully shoved Alek to the side. Climbing the tree as agile as ever, he left the slightly fuming girl and yipping fox below. By the time she caught up, he had changed clothes without drying off and picked up the still ringing phone.

"Rajani," he answered. "Yeah. Yeah, I know. She's fine in my hands, he knows that." Turning from the entrance, he continued to be berrated with questions and insults. "She's not a businesswoman, and she's not your damn lacky. I'm well aware of my inferior position you pompous a**-hat, but at least I have the decency to treat her with the respect she deserves." Rajani looked at the phone, spewing the dial tone of the hang up.

"Jerk," he muttered, turning to Alek. "Well. I'll certainly be scolded. All grown up and still treated like a stray." He shook his head and plopped into the bean bags, waiting for her to change. He stared at the ceiling and knew Appi was spinning in circles as he barked and whined from the ground.

Aleksandra had been trying to get changed, but the conversation between the two had been taking her attention away from clothes and over to him. "I'm sorry Rajani. I should've known." Alek murmured as she pulled her skirt on and then pulled off the wet bottoms. She left the top part of her bathing suit on and just pulled over her shirt, the fabric clinging to the wet part of her body. "Lets go. Appi is freaking out and apparently so is my Father." Alek muttered, grabbing her bag and climbing back down.

She did not want to go back and it was obvious. Her gaze kept going back to the water and how relaxing it had been to just stay out there with him. They would most definitely have to come back in due time for she feared that if they did not then she would go crazy.

Picking up Appi, they waited next to the car for Rajani. She stroked the fox and smiled down at him as he tried to lick her face. "I think he likes me." Alek cried with a soft giggle as his warm wet tongue caught a bit of her cheek.

"Nah, he likes anybody. Little traitor." Smirking as he joked, Rajani unlocked the car. "But he does somehow look cuter in your arms." Flattery was part of the boy-man's job and charm, as such pulling it off almost as a habit.

As they settled into the car again he dared a question. "So those powers are pretty spiffy. You've been training for...ever. What else can you do?" His curiosity burned and he was disappointed by the demonstration's interruption. He'd also become adept at distracting himself from the imminent, usually some job.

Before reaching much speed, he shot a glance at the fox in Alek's lap and its obvious contentment. Always a ray of sunshine somewhere...

((sorry for the short post))

((It's okay. :D))

Sitting with Appi in the car, Aleksandra wondered what she was going to tell him. "I have lots of powers, mostly elemental stuff like you saw with the water. I can summon fire, light, earth, wind and rain if I try hard enough. Those are my strongest powers. I can shape-shift, but it's not usually for very long and I feel really tired after doing it. I can't teleport though I so wish that I could." Alek told him, stroking the foxs' head. His fur was soft and it seemed to calm her down as they drove.

"I'll show you more... promise." Alek told him with a smile as they got back into the city. Her other hand, gripped the handhold of the door turning her knuckles white with grip. "I don't think I'm ready to see him yet." Alek whispered, turning to look at him. "He doesn't want me... he just wants my powers." Alek murmured, leaning her head back trying to focus on stroking Appi so that way she wouldn't accidentally hurt the small fox.

At her words and white knuckles Rajani slowed down to a crawl on the deserted highway. He knew how she felt, fighting his role as an underworld pawn. She was still innocent of all that, for the time being. All he really understood of her father's intent was that his daughter remain safe...but Rajani couldn't tell if turning Alek into a weapon was a means of her father's own ends or hers.

"You're...special, Alek. Half of Jamal's butthurt is that Nathaniel saw more power in you than in him! Like I said...it's yours to use how you want, and your dad wants that choice to be yours. He probably wanted you to be prepared for multiple outcomes is all. Besides all of that sounds pretty badass." He smiled at her, hoping it might catch.

It didn't catch like Rajani was hoping. Aleksandra wasn't sure that she wanted to go and see her father. Sure she knew that with a flick of her wrist she could severely hurt all of them in the bar, but she did not want to get to that point. Just because she didn't like her father didn't mean that she didn't love him and he was the only family that she had left besides Rajani. "Just go. The faster we get there and I see him, the faster I can leave." Aleksandra finally said, looking over at Rajani with a strong look on her face.

She was going to have to deal with this eventually and better to do it now when she had Rajani with her than to do it by herself. At least he would keep her somewhat calm and he would be able to take her out if things got to heated between the father and daughter.

"I'll be right there, and so will Appi." Shifting gears and gaining speed once more, Rajani kept his eyes on the road. When they pulled up to the alley again, a few of the gang were hanging at the back door of the bar. He waited until they had filed in again before unlocking the car or moving to open his door. Rather than out of fear, it was mostly irritation.

"Alright. Let's do this."

Aleksandra put Appi down on the drivers seat once Rajani was out and the fox jumped out after his master. Aleksandra got out also and looked at the bar that she had called home for 10 years. It hadn't changed much. Unfortunate as that was. She moved to the door and looked back at Rajani. "Listen to me. If things start going whack, please just pull me out. I don't care how you do it, just please do it for my sake. I don't have very good control over my powers when I get emotionally upset." Aleksandra admitted before rapping on the door.

It opened an inch and then fully when they saw who was standing there. "Come." was all the man said and began leading Alek and Rajani through the bar and towards the back where the noise got quieter and quieter. Finally they came to a large steel door and with a brisk knock, it was opened to reveal a short, plump man with the dark hair same as Aleksandras and a tall, skinny man with a beard that curled at the end. Jamal. Alek looked between the two as they stared at her. Then suddenly she was grabbed by her father and pulled into a hug.

"My dearest Aleksandra!" her father cried out in happiness.
Aleksandra was frozen, not really sure how to react. "Father..." Alek murmured slowly, looking at him. They were about the same height, though she was a bit taller than he was.
"Welcome back, my dear." her father smiled at her and led her over to a seat. Aleksandra sat down and then turned to Jamal. "Jamal." she murmured coolly.

((Does the sultan have a name in Aladdin? O_o))

(("Bobolonius" in the show apparently, but you can pick whatever seems appropriate.))

Seeing his boss smile gave Rajani some hope for the two and their family dynamic. As usual there were little more than nods of acknowledgement at his entrance, so he took a stance behind Alek, somewhat near the door. Her warning reverberated in his memory, bringing an incident to mind that she probably didn't remember. They had been playing in an abandoned building when somethin frightened her, and she lit something aflame. He hadn't even known it happened until the next day, they had left as soon as she was spooked, before there could have been sparks or smoke. Nobody had died so it remained under most radars and went uninvestigated, but Rajani had stuffed it away in case anything ever happened like that again. He hoped things remained as cheerful as it was beginning.

"Well now Nathaniel said you'd grown, but you're nearly a woman! How's it feel to be back?"

((What the... o.O Okay. Yeah we can come up with something else. XD))

Aleksandra looked over at Jamal when he actually uttered words to speak to her. she stared at him unsure of how to respond. "Uh, it's okay." Alek finally answered and then turned to her Father. She looked at him and he just kind of smiled back at her.
"Papa." Alek said with an urgent voice.
"Oh uh yes, gentlemen would be so kind as to leave us? I would like to speak to my daughter alone." Kamali looked over at Jamal and then at Rajani. When the two men had left, Kamali and Aleksandra stayed in the room for over two hours talking and sometimes yelling, mostly from Aleksandra. The door had been locked though so neither protector of the father and daughter could come in and stop them from working it out. When the two hours was up, Alek pushed open the door so hard that it was lucky not to have broken in two. "Come on Rajani. Apparently I've been sent TO MY ROOM!" Alek yelled back into the room and nothing but silence came out.

Alek looked angry enough to start throwing some magic around and so she quickly moved away from the door and back through the bar and up the side of the building to where the housing was. It was longer than the bar and an extra two stories on top of The Lamp. Her room was on the first floor in the very back so that the noise from the bar wouldn't keep her up at night. It was exactly the way that she had left it ten years ago. Down to the frilly pink sheets that she realized would have to be changed. Once she got over her anger.

"He wants me to use my powers against... another human being!"

When Aleks came out of that office practically spewing smoke, Rajani shut his mouth and followed her to her room. After she had admitted her father's intent, all the guy could do was remain quiet. After a few moments of thought, and a few deep breaths for the girl, he finally replied.

"Did he tell you why?" Was his tentative question. Sparking her anger was the last thing he wanted to do, but some conversations had to happen.

"I mean...I don't see your dad just offing someone for no reason. He's usually thr diplomatic type and only backs up what he has to with muscle. And fire...that can't be a pleasant way to go." If it sounded insensitive, it wasn't intentional. Rajani hadn't seen the extent of her powers, and didn't exactly want to be the target of them.

Aleksandra had taken her anger out on the little girl room that she had once occupied, by throwing everything into one pile and then laying down on the mattress. "He didn't really give a deep explanation." Alek had finally calmed down and was now just staring at the ceiling. Finally she turned to her side and looked over at Rajani. "He just said that something happened and he was being forced to take action, but that this man I am supposed to help take care of has delved in the dark arts." Aleksandra rolled her eyes.

People who were into the dark arts and didn't know what they were doing usually ended up offing themselves. It sounded though like this was a reoccurring problem and that was why she was going to be brought in. "I don't think it's a good idea to use my powers for evil though."

Chuckling, he chose his reply carefully. "The dark arts are pretty evil too, aren't they? What if he's like a...serial killer or something?" Realizing that probably sounded like a justification for murder, and so continued.

"I mean...if you did go after bad guys...that would kind of make you a super hero. But...that's not something you should have to live with." Rajani had faced some similar decisions in working for Kamali, but had managed to weasel out of them. It had been a point of tension between himself and Jamal, the older male seeing it a sign that Rajani was weak.

"A real man," Jamal had once said to him, "defends what is his by fighting for it." At the time Rajani had just shook his head, but this request to kill a man...it had to have come from Jamal.

"You should...just do what your heart wants. Good or bad, you must rest with those thoughts."

"I want to go away and never come back. Which might just happen. We're being sent away. Only this time... we're going on a mission. To find this jewel thing. I don't know what it is. It's somewhere in Europe and it's guarded by somebody and it's supposed to enhance my abilities so that I can take out this man that my father wants." Aleksandra looked over at Rajani and stood there. "And you have been ordered to come with me because I said I wouldn't do it without you."

The young man found himself taking a seat on the floor, contemplating his new job. Looking over to the girl, he finally found his voice.

"We should go back to the spot. I always feel like this place is bugged, or like Jamal might be listening all creeper-like at the door. Did he already tell you where it is?"

"No. I have to make sure that you are going to come along and I have been given time to think about what it is that I am going to do. It's going to be dangerous and once I start going for it, bad people are going to come after me. I need you to not only be my friend going through this because it's not going to be easy to bring it back, but I need you to be my bodyguard. To help protect me." Aleksandra moved over to him and sat down next to him. "You don't have to say yes Rajani." Alek murmured softly, grasping her hand with his.

As they held hands, he wrapped the other arm around her as he replied.

"Neither do you, Aleks. None of this. I'll go with you to tell them no. If they won't listen, we'll leave."

Nothing is ever that simple, but Rajani wouldn't see her saddened or put at risk. If he had to stand up to Kamali, this would be his reason; protecting her at all costs.