The Street Urchin Finds His Diamond in the Rough

• Thread starter All My Love Is Books
  • Start date
"I want to help my Father, Rajani. I haven't seen him in years and while yes I do despise him... he's the only living relative I have left." Aleksandra murmured. That was the hard part. She wanted to please her father because he was the only family she had left (that she knew about), but she also didn't want to be controlled by him like she had been when she was a child.

"I just don't know what to do. Will you stay here with me tonight?" Aleksandra asked him softly, her head resting on his shoulder. "I don't want to be alone anymore. I'm tired of being alone." Alek tilted her head up to look at him.

It wasn't as if they had never slept side by side, but puberty had come and gone since then; Rajani swallowed his awkwardness though, knowing the necessity of a friend's embrace. He nodded to her request and lay beside her on her childhood bed, feet hanging over the edge and arm draped over her waist. He tried to put the heartwarming smell of her hair out of his mind to offer advice on the familial front.

"Aleksandra, you're a grown woman. And if he can't love you just for being his daughter, then he doesn't deserve your loyalty. You have every right to say no...but I'll stand by you eiher way." He couldn't imagine hunting down another human being, or what killing one might do to Alek's heart, but he did consider her his only family and would support her how he could.

Aleksandra was glad that he stayed with her. She wasn't sure what would have happened if he hadn't stayed. She pushed those ugly thoughts away and instead focused on Rajani. His hand felt nice on her skin and she was able to relax. "I know... I know. I just feel like I might owe him. I don't know! If he hadn't cared enough for me then he wouldn't have sent me away. I mean at least I think he did it out of kindness because I had no control over my powers." Aleksandra murmured. She buried her head in his chest and gripped the shirt with balled fists.

"I'll think about it. I have until tomorrow evening. I'm worried about what will happen if I say no. Father isn't exactly known for his temperament." Alek murmured softly turning her head to look up at him. She was so glad to hear that he would stand by her no matter what she chose. This was why he was her best friend. "You are my best friend... you know that? I love you." It was said more like a brother not as somebody she saw herself with. She didn't want him to get the wrong idea.

Smiling back at her he replied, "I love you too girl." Hugging her that much closer, he let his head rest on her pillow.

"And the only thing you owe him is honesty. He could have visited, but he didn't. He could have written you. But he didn't. And you are who you are, whether because of or despite his actions." Closing his eyes, he let comfort overwhelm him and let loose a yawn.

"Sweet dreams, sparky."

Aleksandra smiled at the childhood nickname. He had given it to her the day she set the table on fire accidentally. She closed her eyes, but sleep did not come. Eventually she got up off the bed and wound pacing the room for the rest of the night. When morning finally came she sat down in the chair and wearily sighed. She wanted to sleep, but her brain had better ideas about what it wanted to do.

At 6:30, she finally moved over to Rajani and pushed his shoulder. "Rajani, wake up. I'm hungry. Come get breakfast with me." Alek murmured softly, pushing his shoulder again. Her other hand rubbed her burning eyes, but she knew better than to sleep. It would only bring nightmares and places she didn't want to be.

Waking up disoriented the young man, but once he had sat up and gathered his senses he realized what she was saying. His stomach gave a sympathetic grumble as he stood and stretched, Appi whining tiredly from beneath the bed.

"Didn't sleep?" After rubbing weariness from his eyes and scratching his pet's ears, they made for the door.

"Is it that obvious?" Aleksandra asked, walking towards the kitchen. "I couldn't sleep. Everytime I closed my eyes there were horrors that lay beyond it. Even when I was awake I was plagued with evil thoughts." Alek made her way into the empty kitchen and set about making them a big feast of a breakfast. She hadn't eaten in almost 24 hours so she was really hungry and Rajani was always hungry.

"Bacon or sausage? Mmmm... both. I don't want bacon." Alek asked and then answered her own question and then turned on the oven to get the sausage in there as soon as it heated. Then she started some eggs and then on another pan the bacon and hashbrown sizzled. "I should learn how to make breakfast appear out of nowhere..."

"THAT would be incredible." Mouth watering, he made an effort to focus on conversation. "And don't worry, I'll eat up the bacon."

"What do you mean by evil, exactly? If the idea of...doing this...is eating you up already, it's probably a good idea to do the opposite." Sniffing the air and licking his lips, all seriousness eluded him. "Besides, you might make a better cook than a killer."

Aleksandra glanced over at him and frowned at him. "Rajani. I'm serious. It's not just the mission that was plaguing me. Everything was. My Father, The Lamp, Jamal... everything and everybody. Something doesn't feel right. I don't know what it is. I think that I have to do this mission. So that I can help my Father get rid of Jamal forever." Aleksandra was quiet on the last part as she flipped the bacon and hash browns on the pan as the beeper went off for her to put the sausage in.

She moved to sit down, her body looking weary again. "I'll take something to help me sleep tonight." she murmured, leaning forward slightly as she propped her head up on her hand and closed her eyes.

Regretting the cheap shot, he put a hand on her shoulder to try to rub out some of her tension. "I didn't mean it...we'll get this done. Take care of business, come back, and clean up this place." He offered a smile, hoping she might try to eat. "This might suck...but you won't be alone. Now eat something, yeah?"

He bit into his own bacon, chasing it with mouthfuls of egg and making noises of satisfaction. "Ohrmagrwd..." he swallowed a bit before continuing, "you've outdin yershlf." Finally finishing, he caught sight of little Appi following his nose into the kitchen and wagging his tail.

"Hey little guy!" He threw a pinch of sausage before the tiny fox, who gobbled it up and rubbed himself along Alek's ankles.

((Your profile picture is creepy...))

Aleksandra was a bit more refined when it came to shoveling food in her mouth. She looked down at Appi as he came into the kitchen. She smiled down at him and then went back into the kitchen and gave him his food. "Here you go little guy. Daddy shouldn't be feeding you people food." Alek sent him a stare and then smiled back down at the fox. "Only Mommy is allowed to do that." With that she mixed in a few pieces of sausage with his food and smiled as he began eating happily.

"Now what are we going to do today? I don't want to see my Father first thing this morning. Will you drive me around? I want to see the city. It's been so long since I've seen it." Aleksandra murmured and looked over at him as she went back to eating. Really it was just an excuse to not see ANYBODY until she was ready.