The Seven StarSwords: Looking for Paladins

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prophecies are still up for debate. I'm thinking that they will be rare, the prophet will have no control over when they come or what they show, and they'll only show the details absolutely necessary (and then they may or may not be designed to be easily understood).
  2. Jibrilar will probably be fairly un-corrupted. It's powers are fairly vague and come-and-go, so it probably just stopped sending out signals when they weren't received.
  3. I'm debating whether or not the swords will also have semi-elemental, magical abilities (like flaming swords, swords that shoot lightning... not sure if that's the direction I want this to go yet)
  4. No. The Paladins have been gone for centuries- without the power they were getting weak anyway, and the swords being sold just hastened the disbandment. This new generation is all that's left.
  5. They are the only ones. During the Dark Days, hundreds of assistants were knighted and made Paladins but that was seen as diluting the honor of the order. This next generation will probably elect to keep the club closed.
  6. There isn't one main evil like there is one primary good. The World Mother is one small part of a whole; the rhythm that makes up her life is part of the greater harmony of the universe. The forces of evil are discord and disharmony, and by their very nature are isolated, disjointed, but omnipresent. Every little mistake, every force of entropy, generates more darkness.
  7. Spiritual harmony with the blade itself, so that they fit the weapon as much as the weapon fits them.
  8. Most likely. I don't want seven individual RPers, so depending on the number of people let in some will need to double. This may or may not include you, but I'd like everyone to be capable.
  9. They are people who fit the spiritual image of the first Paladins who happened to be in the general area of the sword. Ymber was raised according to the Paladin Code and her family had held onto the blade, which made her the obvious choice. Not all of the new generation will be as obvious.
  10. There are definitely open spaces. In fact, aside from Valkyrian, nothing's been promised yet so brainstorming and idea-building are totally open.

Okay.
  • If you want to give the blades some power, but none of that super powered nonsense you see with a lot of fantasy today, you could have it where the blade gives the wielder the skill to use it, as well as a boost in strength, speed, stamina, and durability. It would kind of fit with your spiritual image of the first Paladins, who were great warriors. The blades hold a sort of memory of what the first seven were capable of and replicate it in the current seven. Just a suggestion.
  • So our enemies are the negative men and women of the world who seek to spread the darkest emotions of human nature. Or are they going to manifest into corporeal form and we will need to start fighting our metaphorical-that-turned-literal demons?
  • What about the swords themselves? Are they all one uniform shape with some subtle differences to differentiate between them? Or are we charged with making them into unique blades?
  • And how do we know if our characters fit the spiritual image of the our historical counterpart? Is this another thing we the players will need to come up with? If it were up to me, just from the powers of Jibrilar I get the feeling that the sword bearer was wise, a strict practitioner of justice, and a frontline fighter who tries to ensure that negative prophecies never come to pass, fighting alongside those with more obvious combative powers, while maybe not trusting many other people to get the job done right. They also may be the most amoral of the seven, as they see the future (however rarely) and depending on their personal mindset could go to various lengths to try to prevent prophecies that could mean devastation. Therefore, any modern wielder would be intelligent with a strong but maybe black and white sense of right and wrong, and maybe with some combat experience.
  • What sort of world do we live in? Start coming up with details and we'll bounce them around.

Okay.
  • If you want to give the blades some power, but none of that super powered nonsense you see with a lot of fantasy today, you could have it where the blade gives the wielder the skill to use it, as well as a boost in strength, speed, stamina, and durability. It would kind of fit with your spiritual image of the first Paladins, who were great warriors. The blades hold a sort of memory of what the first seven were capable of and replicate it in the current seven. Just a suggestion.
  • So our enemies are the negative men and women of the world who seek to spread the darkest emotions of human nature. Or are they going to manifest into corporeal form and we will need to start fighting our metaphorical-that-turned-literal demons?
  • What about the swords themselves? Are they all one uniform shape with some subtle differences to differentiate between them? Or are we charged with making them into unique blades?
  • And how do we know if our characters fit the spiritual image of the our historical counterpart? Is this another thing we the players will need to come up with? If it were up to me, just from the powers of Jibrilar I get the feeling that the sword bearer was wise, a strict practitioner of justice, and a frontline fighter who tries to ensure that negative prophecies never come to pass, fighting alongside those with more obvious combative powers, while maybe not trusting many other people to get the job done right. They also may be the most amoral of the seven, as they see the future (however rarely) and depending on their personal mindset could go to various lengths to try to prevent prophecies that could mean devastation. Therefore, any modern wielder would be intelligent with a strong but maybe black and white sense of right and wrong, and maybe with some combat experience.
  • What sort of world do we live in? Start coming up with details and we'll bounce them around.

• Really love this idea. Make them supernaturally good, but without any overstated or flashy external powers.
  • There will be a combination. Sometimes the corruption will be within living things (or even nonliving things) but other times it will manifest itself into an entirely new physical/spiritual form.
  • They are all doubled edged straight blades, European in nature. The details are more flexible- claymores, shortswords, bastard swords... I'm thinking that I might hunt down some images for them just to make sure everyone's on the same page, but the final choice is up the the player.
  • The players will run their character's personality, morals, etc. by me. If it seems reasonable, the historical counterpart will be retrofitted to align to the modern- while it's the basis for the sword's decision, the original Paladins haven't gotten past the drawing board so there isn't anything y'all need to align to. I like your interpretation of Jibrilar's wielder, so things of that nature will be passed through no problem.
  • The world will be intentionally left fairly vague. To the North are vast plains home primarily to large herds of horses and nomadic peoples who herd them. To the West is a mountain range, all but impassible, across which lies a powerful and highly racist Elven empire that ignores humanity as best they can. To the East rivers start to join together into one massive one and the land is thickly forested and sparsely populated. To the South the foothills become rockier and more arid, eventually forming a stony landbridge to a southern subcontinent. The Paladins are unlikely to travel too far due to the slow speed of transportation during this time, and in any case a lot of the early days will be spent at the Hall trying to figure themselves out.

Alright. So, we should probably start figuring out the six swords. Give me a couple of hours and I'll figure out a signup sheet, of sorts, that we can use. ^^

• Really love this idea. Make them supernaturally good, but without any overstated or flashy external powers.
  • There will be a combination. Sometimes the corruption will be within living things (or even nonliving things) but other times it will manifest itself into an entirely new physical/spiritual form.
  • They are all doubled edged straight blades, European in nature. The details are more flexible- claymores, shortswords, bastard swords... I'm thinking that I might hunt down some images for them just to make sure everyone's on the same page, but the final choice is up the the player.
  • The players will run their character's personality, morals, etc. by me. If it seems reasonable, the historical counterpart will be retrofitted to align to the modern- while it's the basis for the sword's decision, the original Paladins haven't gotten past the drawing board so there isn't anything y'all need to align to. I like your interpretation of Jibrilar's wielder, so things of that nature will be passed through no problem.
  • The world will be intentionally left fairly vague. To the North are vast plains home primarily to large herds of horses and nomadic peoples who herd them. To the West is a mountain range, all but impassible, across which lies a powerful and highly racist Elven empire that ignores humanity as best they can. To the East rivers start to join together into one massive one and the land is thickly forested and sparsely populated. To the South the foothills become rockier and more arid, eventually forming a stony landbridge to a southern subcontinent. The Paladins are unlikely to travel too far due to the slow speed of transportation during this time, and in any case a lot of the early days will be spent at the Hall trying to figure themselves out.

Alright. So, we should probably start figuring out the six swords. Give me a couple of hours and I'll figure out a signup sheet, of sorts, that we can use. ^^

Right.

Sounds good. Been a bit busy to respond but I'm watching and digesting.

Hey Sabine, I've got a character idea, should I post it here or PM it? It might also involve a few questions about how magic works.

Last edited:
Go ahead and PM it.

Alright, everyone. Here's how things are gonna go down:

There are six spots open. I'd like for everyone to send me a PM.
The subject of the PM should be the sword you are asking for. In the message body, tell me about your character: why are they a good choice to be a Paladin? What makes them special? Stuff like that.
Then, at the end, please put your second and third choice of swords (in the event I ask you to double.) include on a 1-5 scale how much you would like to take on a second character with that sword, one being not at all, three being indifferent, and five being a strong desire.

Alright, everyone. Here's how things are gonna go down:

There are six spots open. I'd like for everyone to send me a PM.
The subject of the PM should be the sword you are asking for. In the message body, tell me about your character: why are they a good choice to be a Paladin? What makes them special? Stuff like that.
Then, at the end, please put your second and third choice of swords (in the event I ask you to double.) include on a 1-5 scale how much you would like to take on a second character with that sword, one being not at all, three being indifferent, and five being a strong desire.

Helloooooooooooo?

Calm your tits. I'll have time this afternoon or maybe Saturday to co-ordinate all the choices and figure out the final roster.

Looking more like Saturday. My University suddenly has a bunch of new shit I nee to register for.

Finished it! Let me know if I made any mistakes or if you change your mind.

Lineup:
@LuluRS : Lazarine, Raphaean
@Torack : Erelime
@Mr. V : Jibrilar
@J_"Kraken" : Azraeline, Devesine

This is still up for negotiation. ^^ If I selected you for doubling, be sure to send me a character profile for the second character. I'll tell you my thoughts on primary characters ASAP.

When do we start? This weekend or do you need more time?

Probably tomorrow. I'll see when I can get a thread up.

Unless you guys want a group?

I have everything really important done, I just don't feel like writing much more tonight. AP tests were this week and I'm still recovering

Status
Not open for further replies.